Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,455 members, 7,816,050 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:13 AM

Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... - Car Talk (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... (62202 Views)

You Shouldn’t Own A Car If You Are A Tenant — Financial Guru Advises Nigerians / Buy & Fix Your Motor Windscreen / Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by DieDiamant: 5:10pm On Jun 08, 2019
[/b][b]Please dear Nairaland Car Gurus,

I need your candid and genuine advice. I'M A LADY. Which of the two ( 2003 Nigerian used corolla or TOKUNBO 2002 corolla )do I go for AS A FIRST CAR? Considering the nature of our roads, durability, fuel economy, and sleekness embarassed embarassed
I think both of them are of the same price.

Thanks
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by kaz4sure2015: 5:28pm On Jun 08, 2019
Good evening

I have a quick enquiry to make about my Lexus ES 350 2007 model

I bought the car as a tokunbo and everything is working perfectly except one thing,whenever I paired my phone device to make calls, I noticed that neither the speaker or the audio work. The call functions work perfectly I can dial number or answer call via the dashboard except that I won’t hear what the caller is saying and neither will the caller hear me as well

Someone should please assist
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by GCFR696(m): 7:21am On Jun 09, 2019
nurey:

In simple terms an interference engine gets valves bent when the timing gives way in motion or when it is not in motion and you kick the car and engine rolls.

"valves aren't expensive but the job is" means each valve could cost you not more than 2 to 3k for quality but the job is a tough one, engine has to be brought down opened and dismantled, bent valves removed and Engine internals scrutinized for other faulty components like seals, engine block, piston damage if non then it has to be coupled back exactly with the right torque wrench for bolts grin. in other words your average Joe doesn't have the required expertise or tools for doing it. The engine though will work but won't last.

We learn everyday.
So when our regular mechos "drop engine" and the "right torque wrench for bolts" is not used na death sentence be that?
What does the "right torque wrench for bolts" mean anyway?

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by nurey(m): 7:32am On Jun 09, 2019
GCFR696:

We learn everyday.
So when our regular mechos "drop engine" and the "right torque wrench for bolts" is not used na death sentence be that?
What does the "right torque wrench for bolts" mean anyway?

Not only bolts, engine internals too have moving parts and vibration occurs, those parts are bolt down in a specific tightness, too loose wahala, too tight wahala.

check the pix below for torque wrench

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by GCFR696(m): 8:23am On Jun 09, 2019
nurey:

Not only bolts, engine internals too have moving parts and vibration occurs, those parts are bolt down in a specific tightness, too loose wahala, too tight wahala.

check the pix below for torque wrench

I've been enlightened thanks to you.

I was wondering if Honda has any non-interference engines tho (I know you are more of a Nissan guy, but still...)
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by nurey(m): 8:34am On Jun 09, 2019
GCFR696:

I've been enlightened thanks to you.

I was wondering if Honda has any non-interference engines tho (I know you are more of a Nissan guy, but still...)

I am certain most if not all engines with timing chain are interference engine.

Every manufacturer has an interference engine and non interference engine, most old engines pre 2000 are non interference not all most.

for every car you are buying just research if it's engine is interference or not. I don't know the designation of every engine I am just an average Joe and I am not a Nissan guy where is that coming from grin
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by GCFR696(m): 10:23am On Jun 09, 2019
nurey:

I am certain most if not all engines with timing chain are interference engine.

Every manufacturer has an interference engine and non interference engine, most old engines pre 2000 are non interference not all most.

for every car you are buying just research if it's engine is interference or not. I don't know the designation of every engine I am just an average Joe and I am not a Nissan guy where is that coming from grin

Note taken.
Average Joe? OK o
I though you are a Nissan guy from discussions/threads in which you dissed the almighty Mercedes and Germany grin
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by nurey(m): 10:36am On Jun 09, 2019
GCFR696:

Note taken.
Average Joe? OK o
I though you are a Nissan guy from discussions/threads in which you dissed the almighty Mercedes and Germany grin

No no no, didn't diss, just setting the record straight
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by GCFR696(m): 12:31pm On Jun 09, 2019
nurey:

No no no, didn't diss, just setting the record straight

Indeed.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by mingles: 4:07pm On Jun 09, 2019
Dear Motor Guru,
I just scanned my 2003 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 and got the following codes: P0330 and P0420.
Please what could have triggered them and what is possible solution. Thanks n anticipation of your response.

MotorGuru:
Free and unbiased consultations on vehicle diagnosis and fixes.

I am ready so Fire on!
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by DestinyGodwin: 7:35pm On Jun 13, 2019
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by kayphyzee(m): 10:16am On Jun 23, 2019
Dear Motorguru, I've got a P0505 on my Rav4 2001. My mechanic said the throttle body came with the new engine that was installed in the vehicle two months back.

The code was registered on the old engine and now this new engine. Have you any ideas on how to fix this?

Thank you.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by babasewen(m): 1:23pm On Jun 23, 2019
Dear bosses,

My Toyota Camry 2003 went off twice on the road yesterday. Once on my way to akure and twice while returning.
Usually when I slowed down on some bad spots and after a long distance on all occasions.

It then display check light.

Please what could be responsible and what can I do?

Urgent please because I'll travel again next week.

Thanks a lot
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by kaz4sure2015: 5:08pm On Jun 23, 2019
Dear Guru on the house

Kindly advise on the following

My Lexus es350 airbag light on the dashboard always come up whenever I enter potholes , and if I turn off the engine and restart it, the light will disappear but will suddenly come up whenever I enter into pothole

Note: I don’t experience this when driving on a smooth road

Kindly advise on the possible causes
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Backup007: 6:03pm On Jun 24, 2019
Baba guru, good day sir,

1: I drive a Toyota Sienna 2000 the gearbox was recently changed, now when I want to change the gear to reverse or any spot the engine shakes which at the same time shakes the car as a whole, someone said the problem is a bad engine seat, please with your experience what could be the problem

2: my steering is hard, a Kareem said it was the PS pipe that passes oil to the steering I changed that but the problem still persist, now he’s saying I have the change the PS rack, that the rack is damaged so the oil is discharging from there

Please any solution to this from your experience?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by jceesquare(m): 6:19pm On Jun 24, 2019
Backup007:
Baba guru, good day sir,

1: I drive a Toyota Sienna 2000 the gearbox was recently changed, now when I want to change the gear to reverse or any spot the engine shakes which at the same time shakes the car as a whole, someone said the problem is a bad engine seat, please with your experience what could be the problem

2: my steering is hard, a Kareem said it was the PS pipe that passes oil to the steering I changed that but the problem still persist, now he’s saying I have the change the PS rack, that the rack is damaged so the oil is discharging from there

Please any solution to this from your experience?
1. For the gear I'll suggest 3 things
a.) Check or confirm if engine RPM is high. If yes reduce to normal speed.
b.) Check the level of oil in the gear. If low top up (that's if the gear itself is fine).
c.) Check the seating. Engine and gear.
2. Your power steering needs to be physically inspected by a good technician.
a.) Check the level of fluid.
b.) Check from leaks and replace parts.
c.) If fluid level is okay and there is no leak, listen to whining sound while turning the wheel. Change power steering pump if you hear the whining sound.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Backup007: 12:20am On Jun 25, 2019
jceesquare:

1. For the gear I'll suggest 3 things
a.) Check or confirm if engine RPM is high. If yes reduce to normal speed.
b.) Check the level of oil in the gear. If low top up (that's if the gear itself is fine).
c.) Check the seating. Engine and gear.
2. Your power steering needs to be physically inspected by a good technician.
a.) Check the level of fluid.
b.) Check from leaks and replace parts.
c.) If fluid level is okay and there is no leak, listen to whining sound while turning the wheel. Change power steering pump if you hear the whining sound.
I do hear the sound sometimes, how much would it cost me to change the power steering pump for Toyota Sienna 2000?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Domain82: 4:08am On Jun 25, 2019
Please i have p0171 code on my Hyundai Tucson 2007 v6 4wd ...pls what do i need to fix.thanks
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by jceesquare(m): 6:02am On Jun 25, 2019
Backup007:
I do hear the sound sometimes, how much would it cost me to change the power steering pump for Toyota Sienna 2000?
Your mechanic or part seller should be in the best position to tell you.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by dicksonadams(m): 9:27pm On Jun 25, 2019
Help error code p0420 on pontiac vibe 2005
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by franksam2009: 6:39am On Jun 26, 2019
babasewen:
Dear bosses,

My Toyota Camry 2003 went off twice on the road yesterday. Once on my way to akure and twice while returning.
Usually when I slowed down on some bad spots and after a long distance on all occasions.

It then display check light.

Please what could be responsible and what can I do?

Urgent please because I'll travel again next week.

Thanks a lot
ahh since it displayed check light you hv to scan the car na, what response do u need again?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by franksam2009: 6:49am On Jun 26, 2019
DieDiamant:
Please dear Nairaland Car Gurus,

I need your candid and genuine advice. I'M A LADY

Thanks
should we fry beans?? Or does this look like a feminist thread to you?? undecided

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by babasewen(m): 9:11pm On Jun 29, 2019
Who does car scanning in akure please

?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 11:33am On Jul 18, 2019
luckize:

??

Catalyst is losing its capacity to ensure exhaust gases are rid of NOx emmisions

solutions:

1. Replace catalyst with a new unit (expensive)
2. Use an Oxygen sensor apdator to fool the ECU (cheapest)
3. gut out catalyst (AND DO NOT PUT WIRE GAUZE INSIDE). Engine will sound louder
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 11:37am On Jul 18, 2019
mingles:
Dear Motor Guru,
I just scanned my 2003 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 and got the following codes: P0330 and P0420.
Please what could have triggered them and what is possible solution. Thanks n anticipation of your response.

for code 1, it is a knock sensor code.It is very likely the wiring to that sensor is compromised. Get a sound mech to inpect and check the connection to the sensor(this is not a DIY job, due to the location of the sensors).

for code 2, it is a catalyst efficiency code. your catalyst is on its way out. or your Post cat O2 sensor. If O2 sensor is ok, use a o2 sensor adaptor to fool your ECU.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 11:40am On Jul 18, 2019
DieDiamant:
[/b][b]Please dear Nairaland Car Gurus,

I need your candid and genuine advice. I'M A LADY. Which of the two ( 2003 Nigerian used corolla or TOKUNBO 2002 corolla )do I go for AS A FIRST CAR? Considering the nature of our roads, durability, fuel economy, and sleekness embarassed embarassed
I think both of them are of the same price.

Thanks

Personally i would go for the 2003 Nigerian used Corolla. Reasons? Better engines with higher HP output( 02 models are usually plagued with oil consumption issues), more refined, Has 4 speed auto gearbox as against the 3 speed in the 02 model and much better resale value.

Please get a comprehensive PPI inspection before purchase.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 11:41am On Jul 18, 2019
MotorGuru:

Catalyst is losing its capacity to ensure exhaust gases are rid of NOx emmisions

solutions:

3. gut out catalyst (AND DO NOT PUT WIRE GAUZE INSIDE). Engine will sound louder
dicksonadams:
Help error code p0420 on pontiac vibe 2005

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by dicksonadams(m): 1:53pm On Jul 18, 2019
MotorGuru:

solutions:

What is the effect of option 2 of fuel consumption
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by lastbornop: 7:29am On Jul 19, 2019
Good morning Motorguru,
Please I have been loving Pontiac Vibe lately and considering 2009 model.

Any professional advice about this brand/car, fuel efficiency, maintenance, parts availability, any other information.

Cc. All pontiac vibe users
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by maxygirl(f): 7:39am On Jul 19, 2019
I just got a Toyota corolla 2007 model last year. Initially o used conventional Mobil oil. I stitched to Mobil synthetic this year and have not serviced in 6 months. The car is jerking a bit and i got our company driver to check, he says i may have to change the plugs and service... Some of my friends says Synthetic oil is not necessary for Older, high mileage cars... my car is about 135k.... what do you think please ?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 11:08am On Jul 19, 2019
dicksonadams:

What is the effect of option 2 of fuel consumption

None

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (34) (Reply)

This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society / Volkswagen Says Goodbye To Iconic Beetle (ijapa) With This Emotional Video / Would You Buy This Joystick & Butt-Shaped Car? (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.