Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,022 members, 7,818,025 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:05 AM

Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. (10047 Views)

10 GREAT Reasons Why You Should Be An Atheist Now In 2019 / 5 Unbelievably Good Reasons To Read Your Bible / 10 Good Reasons Why You Should Go To Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by budaatum: 4:08pm On May 04, 2018
Born2Freak:

Russia is a backwards country. Have you seen any Nigerian going there and coming back successful?
I've seen many actually. It's a cheap place to learn to be a doctor for instance, which makes it affordable and popular for some Nigerians.
Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by budaatum: 4:12pm On May 04, 2018
rekinomtla:
No thank you, I refuse to join cults such as atheism. I follow truth not lies.
What you posted there is the sort of propaganda and lies told to influence people without brains. If anyone goes about without morals, they can't exactly have meaningful human relationships now, can they?

I would advice that you learn a bit more about atheism and atheists instead of just repeating what you have been told about us.
Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by bloodofthelamb(m): 4:22pm On May 04, 2018
Born2Freak:

Please, read more about Japanese people. They are traditional and not religious. The average Japanese is born a buddhist, marries like a christian and is buried like a shintoist.

Japanese are mostly atheists.

Does atheist believe in after live? How can you reconcile an atheist believe with a buddhist/shintoist believe?

Does an atheist perform rituals and rites or those he believe in traditional stuff?
Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by frank317: 4:39pm On May 04, 2018
Joshthefirst:

Long time Frank.

Long time bro... hope you are doing good

To the bolded, it all depends on what one means by “making life better”. If by better, you mean belief in God gives life context and hinge and meaning, then belief in God does exactly that.
Better life is better life. some lives are better than others but there is always a room for comparison and measurement. all in all, it means some level of happiness and fulfillment. My point is that anyone can experience it be it a christian or not. Christians cannot claim monopoly of better life. believe in God does not give life any meaning, its just a mirage that people use to make themselves feel good. it just serves as motivation for depress people to move on but people also find such motivation in drug, alcohol and relationships. some have the inner strenght to motivate themselves, other need good company and love.. whatever rocks your both. but its dubious of christians to claim monopoly of better life, that self deceit and its dangerous.

So you’re wrong or dishonest if you, as an atheist claims your life has the same dimensions as that of a theist.

No, I'd rather say you are dishonest if u as a theist claim ur life even better dimension than that of an atheist. we can continue going back and fourth but at the end of the day all we wil have are our words. but lets jump from words and look around us. there are more Christians around us that atheists... i am an atheist and i know my life is better than that of many christian even people who claim bornagain and live a 'holy' life. that alone tell me a lot.

Where does the context and meaning of your life come from?

The context of the meaning of life is what we make of is... you think urs is God(whatever that means) i think mine is achievement and happiness nd from what i make of it. at the end of the day its just what we chose to think, the result is usually the same

Where does the context of your relationship with others come from?
you are asking me where the context of relationship with others came from? are u for real? ever heard of no man is an island? people need people, u dont need any God to tell you this.

And your morality? And your reason for living?
morality came from learning... its simple. if u slap me, i feel pain. I there for know how another will feel if they are slapped... therefore slapping another is bad. u can extend this simple example to any area of life. except mayb u need God to know that slapping another is painful.
my reasons for living are basically the same as urs. you want to maximize happiness and reduce pain and sadness. can u tell me what u are living for?

you think its easy calling ur so called almighty creator whose anger is flaming red a bluff? its takes a self confident and strong man to be an atheist.
Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by rekinomtla(m): 5:00pm On May 04, 2018
budaatum:

What you posted there is the sort of propaganda and lies told to influence people without brains. If anyone goes about without morals, they can't exactly have meaningful human relationships now, can they?

I would advice that you learn a bit more about atheism and atheists instead of just repeating what you have been told about us.

I would advice you to start calling out atheists for creating dishonest threads like this one.
Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by superhumanist(m): 5:29pm On May 04, 2018
budaatum:

I've seen many actually. It's a cheap place to learn to be a doctor for instance, which makes it affordable and popular for some Nigerians.

Russian doctors can't practice in the EU.

Also, I have seen more Nigerian doctors from Ukraine. Russia is crap.
Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by Anas09: 6:30pm On May 04, 2018
Born2Freak:

I can support a satanist for president grin grin grin

But honestly, tithing is not biblical. It is not for christians.
Yes, i know you can support a Satanist. As water answerers to the face, so the deep calls to the deep.

Tithe is not for Christisns, yet i can give instant and undeniable testimonies as a result of tithe paying.

Funny how unbelievers feel they are in a better position to tell Christians how to worship their God.

Concern yourself with your witch covens not with what Christians do.

Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by Anas09: 6:34pm On May 04, 2018
Born2Freak:

You live to serve the less privileged? If that is true, then you wouldnt be paying tithe. I don't pay tithe and so, I have more to be giving poorer people and the less privileged.

The fact remains that on average, a religious person has more baggage than a secular person. I say "on average" because it is not always true but it usually happens like that.

How many christians would treat me kindly if they knew that I was an atheist in real life? There are christians who wouldn't let me come near themselves or their children.

In summary;
I am more tolerant than you as an atheist- I can roll with satanists, buddhists, pagans etc, most of which your religion considers "demonic"
I am less likely to be bamboozled by a pastor
I don't have religious finances to pay and so, I have more money to help the less privileged
I don't have to let my health suffer in the name of fasting- fasting is unhealthy.
This is how you are better than me?

If that's you on your DP, then i as a Christian lady, i can comfortably, i mean comfortably keep you in my housr, feed you well. place you on allowance, and still pay my tithes every month.
Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by Anas09: 6:37pm On May 04, 2018
Born2Freak:

Wetin you dey find for my dp? undecided
I went to check you out. I don't remember you so had to check your past threads, and what did i see? Wow.

Girl. take that picture down. That's an insult to me as a lady. body like that shd be kept hidden.
Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by Anas09: 6:39pm On May 04, 2018
sKeetz:

When they start losing an arguement, they start bringing irrelevancies.

What has her dp got to do with the discussion at hand??

So you left the arguement and went to her profile just to check her out, that says a lot about you.

Hypocrites undecided
Wait, i am here to win an argument? Hahahahahahaha. Boy, if you know what is on my table, you wouldn't expect me to even respond to you.

Gerrlarahia child.
Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by sKeetz(m): 7:47pm On May 04, 2018
Anas09:

Wait, i am here to win an argument? Hahahahahahaha. Boy, if you know what is on my table, you wouldn't expect me to even respond to you.

Gerrlarahia child.

Lol

Look at this loony calling his grandfather a child.

Well, I dont expect much from a CRAZEtian fanatic. grin
Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by hopefulLandlord: 7:47pm On May 04, 2018
Anas09:
body like that shd be kept hidden.
says who?
Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by Anas09: 9:26pm On May 04, 2018
sKeetz:

Lol
Look at this loony calling his grandfather a child.
Well, I dont expect much from a CRAZEtian fanatic. grin
Yeah right. You really sound like a grand Dad.
Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by Anas09: 9:27pm On May 04, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

says who?
Ouch, he likes trams.
*walksoutofthread*
Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by pressplay411(m): 9:29pm On May 04, 2018
budaatum:
You need educating so I am butting in. My apologies for what may sound like an insult, but you, hear me out.

You mistake Purpose for an individualistic concept. All spoons were created for the purpose of scooping meals.
I simply explained the purpose of man's creation according the the Bible which is the only answer to Man's purpose.

What you do to be successful in life is different from your purpose. That's dreams and aspirations, that's Work. It differs for each individual depending on your innate talent, skills and interests.

Atheists choice of non-creation is not my place to prove or disprove. That's why it's a choice. But answer me this, why will you see the clear truth and still choose a lie? That's living in denial.

About the healing on the sabbath, I suppose you're referring to Jesus. You mistake Christianity for Judaism or a religion.
A Christian doesn't not need a day or place to worship God. We worship God in spirit and that happens every day and every where.

John.4.23 - But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him.
John.4.24 - God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."

It doesn't conflict with our work.
Going to church on Sunday or any other week day is to fellowship. It's not a law. Our Lord, is lord of sabbath.

That said, there's a lot of misconception and misrepresentation of the teachings of the Bible. You'll be surprised how little you presently know about Christ and Christianity, no offence, I was humbled too.
Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by hopefulLandlord: 9:29pm On May 04, 2018
Anas09:
Ouch, he likes trams.
*walksoutofthread*
Good to see you dodge the question, that's all you do nowadays
Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by Joshthefirst(m): 10:17pm On May 04, 2018
Born2Freak:

Pardon my interruption but I would like to say that God is not necessary for one to have a better life.

Man has reached the moon without God
Bill Gates and other Western millionaires have contributed to many humanitarian solutions without God

You ask about the meaning of life. It is interesting to note that there was a thread pointing out how life is more meaningless with God. The thread argued that even in christianity, there are different versions of the same "God".
Don't refer me to threads pointing out your assertion, show it here. Belief in God is necessary as a pivot of any reality.

Without belief in God, does your life have meaning?
Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by Joshthefirst(m): 10:47pm On May 04, 2018
frank317:

Long time bro... hope you are doing good
Interesting question. Since you're a moral relativist, I'll have to ask you what you mean by "good".

frank317:
Better life is better life. some lives are better than others but there is always a room for comparison and measurement. all in all, it means some level of happiness and fulfillment. My point is that anyone can experience it be it a christian or not. Christians cannot claim monopoly of better life. believe in God does not give life any meaning, its just a mirage that people use to make themselves feel good. it just serves as motivation for depress people to move on but people also find such motivation in drug, alcohol and relationships. some have the inner strenght to motivate themselves, other need good company and love.. whatever rocks your both. but its dubious of christians to claim monopoly of better life, that self deceit and its dangerous.
Can you point out the end of happiness and fulfilment as an atheist? You do not believe in God and I take it you do not believe in life after death. So what is the point of anything worthwhile apart from maybe self gratification through drugs and alcohol as you have said. If we all eventually come to a meaningless end from a meaningless start then should you not envy the one who "deludes" herself with true meaning and purpose in God?

Does the meaninglessNess of life not laugh you in the face? Or do you find some way to lie to yourself and deny it's voice?

frank317:
No, I'd rather say you are dishonest if u as a theist claim ur life even better dimension than that of an atheist. we can continue going back and fourth but at the end of the day all we wil have are our words. but lets jump from words and look around us. there are more Christians around us that atheists... i am an atheist and i know my life is better than that of many christian even people who claim bornagain and live a 'holy' life. that alone tell me a lot.

The context of the meaning of life is what we make of is... you think urs is God(whatever that means) i think mine is achievement and happiness nd from what i make of it. at the end of the day its just what we chose to think, the result is usually the same
Again, where is the reference for the bolded? Death laughs in the face of any achievement, achievement without faith(hope), is useless nonsense, as death and the meaningless finite darkness of the cosmos you accept as a materialist renders all achievements broken on the walls of darkness.

frank317:
you are asking me where the context of relationship with others came from? are u for real? ever heard of no man is an island? people need people, u dont need any God to tell you this.
Again, what is the point? Apart from maybe providing finite comraderie against the purposeless meaninglessness of the universe. Or do you think the universe has meaning or purpose? If you think it does not, then how can you, who lives in it, have any?

frank317:
morality came from learning... its simple. if u slap me, i feel pain. I there for know how another will feel if they are slapped... therefore slapping another is bad. u can extend this simple example to any area of life. except mayb u need God to know that slapping another is painful.
Pain is the basis of your morality? Pain is subjective. What if I could end an entire civilization painlessly in an instant, maybe because they don't add any technological value or progress to others? Would my action be morally justified?

frank317:
my reasons for living are basically the same as urs. you want to maximize happiness and reduce pain and sadness. can u tell me what u are living for?
We don't have the same reason for living. First, I believe God created me and he has a plan and purpose for my life. I believes he rewards righteousness, so my achievements and whatever I experience have eternal significance and reward. Without God, Achievements areally futile, because death laughs not only in my face, but in the face of all humanity. Without God, I only exist by chance, and the end of all of my living is Nihility. I can only try to live out my days in self gratification till I die a meaningless death. Will this sort of thinking not plunge humanity into chaos?
Some philosophers think that if it were indeed found out that there was no God, we'd have to invent one.

frank317:
you think its easy calling ur so called almighty creator whose anger is flaming red a bluff? its takes a self confident and strong man to be an atheist.
Indeed. It takes a man with guts to deny reality.
Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by budaatum: 10:58pm On May 04, 2018
pressplay411:

You mistake Purpose for an individualistic concept. All spoons were created for the purpose of scooping meals.
I simply explained the purpose of man's creation according the the Bible which is the only answer to Man's purpose.
Yes, you "explained the purpose of man's creation according the the Bible which is the only answer to Man's purpose" . But might that be because that is the explanation you know?

I am saying many many people have 'purposes' even though they have not come into contact with a bible.
Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by budaatum: 11:11pm On May 04, 2018
Born2Freak:

Wetin you dey find for my dp? undecided
I wonder o! You fine jare!
Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by budaatum: 11:11pm On May 04, 2018
Joshthefirst:

Yes!
Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by budaatum: 12:54am On May 05, 2018
pressplay411:

What you do to be successful in life is different from your purpose. That's dreams and aspirations, that's Work. It differs for each individual depending on your innate talent, skills and interests.
I mentioned nothing about how successful the doctor, the lawyer, road sweeper or scientist may or may not become, though you should assume they do what they do successfully and are rewarded accordingly and commensuratately.

I am talking about the specific purpose that is accomplished by them applying their so called "innate talent, skills and interests" in doing what they do - heal the sick and save the dying, fight against oppression, clean the streets to ensure filth and disease does not kill people and research into the sperm and ovum for what ever end result, and albeit successfully.
Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by pressplay411(m): 5:18am On May 05, 2018
budaatum:

I mentioned nothing about how successful the doctor, the lawyer, road sweeper or scientist may or may not become, though you should assume they do what they do successfully and are rewarded accordingly and commensuratately.

I am talking about the specific purpose that is accomplished by them applying their so called "innate talent, skills and interests" in doing what they do - heal the sick and save the dying, fight against oppression, clean the streets to ensure filth and disease does not kill people and research into the sperm and ovum for what ever end result, and albeit successfully.

I've exhausted the explanation of Man's purpose. Your questions have already been answered. Once again it's your choice to accept it.

I know my purpose, do you know yours?
Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by Born2Freak(f): 5:49am On May 05, 2018
Joshthefirst:
Don't refer me to threads pointing out your assertion, show it here. Belief in God is necessary as a pivot of any reality.

Your own life has no meaning. Just like every other person's life has no meaning. It is a blank slate that only the user can fill. So please, stop telling lies about your purpose.

Another christian here has fumbled claiming that life's purpose is to 1. serve God and 2. be fruitful and multiply.

Serving God is meaningless. Which God? The Jehovah's Witness God that hates human blood and has cultish ideas of living? The old testament God that applies to Jews? The Pentecostal Nigerian God that believes in tithing and prosperity preaching?

Tell me your own purpose from God if you dare.
Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by Born2Freak(f): 6:31am On May 05, 2018
Anas09:

I went to check you out. I don't remember you so had to check your past threads, and what did i see? Wow.

Girl. take that picture down. That's an insult to me as a lady. body like that shd be kept hidden.

checheche.

Aging and sagging grandmama dey talk. Feeling sexy on menopause.

1 Like

Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by Born2Freak(f): 6:42am On May 05, 2018
Anas09:

This is how you are better than me?

If that's you on your DP, then i as a Christian lady, i can comfortably, i mean comfortably keep you in my housr, feed you well. place you on allowance, and still pay my tithes every month.

Biatch please. You, this local deeper life trash.
Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by Born2Freak(f): 6:43am On May 05, 2018
bloodofthelamb:

Does atheist believe in after live? How can you reconcile an atheist believe with a buddhist/shintoist believe?

Does an atheist perform rituals and rites or those he believe in traditional stuff?

The point is beyond your intelligence.
Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by frank317: 7:01am On May 05, 2018
pressplay411:

The problem which you're right about is religiousness. It is not only the problem of Nigeria but of the whole world. Religion was practised before Christ and is being practised still after Christ. It might shock you to know this, Christianity is not a religion.
Nigeria is the way it is because truly we're a religious country. Islam, indigenous and some false Christianity.

And yes, any body can be successful in life. You don't need to be a believer to achieve that. But you need God to save your soul.
Most of those who succeed without God, are probably the most depressed people but you'll never know until maybe they're exposed or they make the news for overdosing cos they never found happiness, purpose and meaning in life.

Sombody is successful without believing in your God and u sit down in your room and know he is the most depressed person. Is this what u think to make urself feel good.
Sombody is doing better than u in all aspects of life and because he does not believe in your God, u want to force ur depression on him. What kind of wickedness is this?
Do u know how many christians are depressed?
By the way, what causes depression? Does lack of believe in God causes depression?
In all my studies of psychology in A level, there was nowhere it was thought that lack of believe in God leads to depression. Can u bring up ur facts?

1 Like

Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by frank317: 7:04am On May 05, 2018
Benjamin831:
If OP and I are on a bus and suddenly an accident is about to occur am sure his/her scream of the name JESUS would be louder than mine..
The kinf of nonsense u guys are used to talking... somone screams Jesus during an accident.. so? Whats ur point? I scream Jesus all the time... even when i am havinv sex... SO WHAT?

Keep deceiving yourself in public but you know in your heart that you know and believe that there's God. You are probably just trying to impress by saying the contrary

Benjamin the psychic.... how business na
Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by frank317: 7:27am On May 05, 2018
pressplay411:

I will patiently explain this to you but I must first ask a favour. My intention is not to argue with you neither is it to attack you, so please read with the intention to "hear me out", to understand.

Purpose is the reason something or someone was designed or created. The purpose of a spoon is to scoop meals when eating. The purpose of a television is to display motion picture. The purpose of a phone is communication via calls, chats, etc.
But do you know the purpose of man (humanity)?
I know my purpose, but do you know yours?

Atheism doesn't provide this answer. In fact, this question forms the basis of atheism. No scientist knows this answer either and you can't blame them, science doesn't not answer the question of Why things exist but How they exist and function.
Science can describe with astute details how we were created (conceived) through copulation of the male and female gametes, formed from the union of the (lucky) sperm cell and ovum, developed from a zygote, grew into a foetus during a 9 month pregnancy, until finally after the 3rd trimester, delivered from the mother as a baby.
But with all the scientific, psychological and technological advancement achieved by Science, it still can never tell you why tyou were born (created). Please, orrect me if I'm wrong. Perhaps I didn't get the memo.

Now you have an old dusty book (I'm sure it's still somewhere buried in your closet), the Bible that clearly explains why you were born, what you were born to do and even your original purposed destination in the after life.

To answer your question. What is the purpose of man?
It is summed up in 2 verses in the Bible.

Gen.1.28 - Then God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth."

Matt.6.33 - But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

Our purpose is to seek first the kingdom of God (His presence, Eden) and then establish His kingdom on earth as it is in heaven. Then very other need of ours will be met. We will Prosper (fruitful), fill the earth and have Dominion over it.
Any object that is not fulfilling the purpose it was designed starts to malfunction. Just as using a car for any other purpose other than driving, it starts to malfunction. Even just parking a car without driving it for months, which is not necessarily abuse but disuse, it starts to malfunction.

This is why when we stay away from God's presence, not knowing God, we start to malfunction. Depression, unfulfilment, all sorts of mental disorders, bipolarity, insecurity, etc sets in. Yet, instead of repenting and returning to our Eden, God's presence, we turn further away resorting to dependence on drugs and alcohol which only postpone doomsday.

I hope this makes some sense to you.
God loves you. He loved you even before you were conceived, He loves you so much he couldn't bare watching our destruction. He died for you and I. Christ saved us.
All He asks is you believe on Him, acknowledge Him and all His promises and purpose for your life will be fulfilled.

This makes no single iota of sense.

Your purpose of seeking first the kingdom of God is as usless as me going to toilet in the morning. To me thats a meaningless purpose and PLEASE this so called purpose deos no stop any one from being depressed.
Again i have seen a lot of people seek first this mythical kingdom but i am yet to see anyone have everythinh he desires added unto him. People who claim to seek thins kingdom hustle every morning like me, they go through depression and sadness when they lost loved ones, they answer SIR to their fellow man just to keep their jobs... they are somtimes broke because of overwhelming issues to solve... seeking first the kingdom of God is as normal as seeking first money... it changes nothing.
And like i told u... there is no where it is written that the lack of belief in Gld leads to depression. I am an atheists and i know many christians i am functioning better than. I am smart and one of the best in my job.
Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by frank317: 7:32am On May 05, 2018
Born2Freak:

Out of ignorance, the mind speaks.

The most technologically advanced country in the world is Japan. The most developed country according to HDI is Norway. Try reading and stop listening to fake news from America claiming that the USA is number 1.

Russia is a backwards country and that is why it is not even allowed in the EU. Corruption, tyranny and homophobia. As for Isreal, it ranks averagely in human development. Most Jews don't follow Judaism in Isreal as they are secular.

The main question to ask him is... how is USA a christian state? A country filled with gays, nudity, drugs abuse, devil worship etc. Go to church on sunday in US and u will see only old men. More than half of amarican "christian" youth have visited jail. Many of tham are murderers and raciism is at its peak...how is USA a christians country? Except the meaning of christianity has changed
Re: Good Reasons To Be An Atheist Now. by frank317: 7:36am On May 05, 2018
Anas09:
Born2freak, is that you on your DP? Wow. now i understand why you want to live free.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

I dont know much about u but i think u should desist from going personal when ever u are arguing. U had go check her dp out do that u can attack her person.. common... rgats not necessary. U are not the first to see her DP and its actually misleading to judge her based on any het pictures.... i hope u change sha

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Atheists Please I Need An Explanation. Coincidence Or Reality? / Relevance Of "the Blood Of Jesus"and Holy Ghost Fire,in Prayer / Pope Benedict Pardons Ex-butler

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.