Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,842 members, 7,813,838 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:36 PM

Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' (7913 Views)

Obasanjo Supports Buhari, Warns Against Coup / Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi / If Obasanjo Supports Atiku For 2011, Yaradua Is A Goner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by joeycrack: 2:27pm On May 26, 2010
An African statesman who shares a political platform with Kofi Annan, Tony Blair and Bob Geldof has condemned homosexuality as an "abomination", dismissing individuals' right to privacy with the riposte: "You want to make love to a horse?"

Olusegun Obasanjo, a former president of Nigeria, indicated his support for the sentencing last week of a gay couple in Malawi to 14 years in prison with hard labour, insisting that countries have the right to enforce their own laws.

The remarks, coming at a time of huge sensitivity around gay rights in Africa, have the potential to embarrass Obasanjo's colleagues on the Africa Progress Panel, a respected body that monitors development across the continent. Chaired by Annan, its members include Blair, Geldof, economist Muhammad Yunus and Graca Machel, the women's and children's rights activist and wife of Nelson Mandela.

Annan, the former UN secretary-general, and Obasanjo, a UN special envoy, appeared united on stage yesterday at the launch of the panel's latest report in Johannesburg.

But whereas Annan described last week's imprisonment of Malawians Tiwonge Chimbalanga and Steven Monjeza as "very regressive", Obasanjo, a devout Christian, offered a very different view in an interview with the Guardian.

"I believe that God who created man, male and female, is a wise God, is to me a God who doesn't make a mistake," he said. "If he wants sexual relationship between man and man, and between woman and woman, God will not have created them male and female. For me it is an abomination in my part of the world and if anybody practices it then he must be unbiblical, and anything that is unbiblical for me as a Christian is not right."

He continued: "If a country makes it a law then he should be punished according to the law of that country. If a law in my country says we shouldn't shake in public, that of course would be ridiculous, but let's say that is what the law says, until you can get that law repealed, you must not shake in public. If you say you will defy that law and you shake in public, and the law says if you shake in public you go to prison for three months, then you have to go for prison for three months."

Obasanjo, whose human rights record was questioned during his two separate spells as president of Nigeria, denied that consenting adults have a right to privacy in their own homes. "What is the privacy of your home? Why don't you take an animal and say look, the privacy of your home, you want to make love to a horse? Bestiality. You say that is right? No.

"If the privacy of your home means a socially condemnable act, then you have no privacy. You have done what you should not do and if the law says you should be punished for it, whether you do it in public or the privacy of your home, you have breached the law and you must be punished, according to the law."

Immediately after the interview, Obasanjo could be seen discussing the difference of opinion with Annan. Later, on his way out, Annan smiled and told the Guardian: "I'll work on him."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/may/25/gay-rights-africa-malawi

LSE SU are already making plans not to invite him on campus ever again due to this. Is OBJ been regressive or is his stance right? and what's the general feeling in Nigeria about GAY rights
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by EzeUche(m): 3:14pm On May 26, 2010
This is the first time I can agree with OBJ on anything.

It is a sin and an abomination! This is Western culture coming to Africa. Disgusting! angry
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by onyengbu1(m): 3:18pm On May 26, 2010
joeycrack:

LSE SU are already making plans not to invite him on campus ever again due to this. Is OBJ been regressive or is his stance right? and what's the general feeling in Nigeria about GAY rights

You sound gay. OBJ is not, you should get a life. He was logical in all his statements too.

Homosexuality is a western thing not african.

Why will the west always expect everybody to behave like them.
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by emmanuel93(m): 3:38pm On May 26, 2010
EzeUche:

It is a sin and an abomination! This is Western culture coming to Africa. Disgusting! angry
Your RIGHT!, keep westernised flaws out of Nigeria. Its not needed. Its bad enough that these ghanian actors and acresses are doing CRAZY things in nigerian movies. Simply ruining something that was good.
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by sizzlers(m): 4:19pm On May 26, 2010
i support OBJ on this one
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by Sagamite(m): 4:27pm On May 26, 2010
Western ffing brainwashing ediots!

joeycrack:

An African statesman who shares a political platform with Kofi Annan, Tony Blair and Bob Geldof

joeycrack:

The remarks, coming at a time of huge sensitivity around gay rights in Africa,

joeycrack:

have the potential to embarrass Obasanjo's colleagues on the Africa Progress Panel,

joeycrack:

Annan, the former UN secretary-general, and Obasanjo, a UN special envoy, appeared united on stage yesterday at the launch of the panel's latest report in Johannesburg.

joeycrack:

Obasanjo, whose human rights record was questioned during his two separate spells as president of Nigeria,

Gay-promoting terrorist journalist. They will biasely harrass any opinion oppose to gays but celebrate any promoting it.
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by Nobody: 4:39pm On May 26, 2010
yay!

no comments on adultery, incest (with your son's wife - essentially your daughter ) or polygamy(some christians claim its unchristian) ?

see as log full obj eye  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

all these poster blathering about western culture probably have no problem with 'western' abominations like fornication,  not so?
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by 1badgirl: 4:57pm On May 26, 2010
oyb:

yay!

no comments on adultery, incest (with your son's wife - essentially your daughter ) or polygamy(some christians claim its unchristian) ?

all these poster blathering about western culture probably have no problem with 'western' abominations like fornication,  not so?

You forgot embezzling public funds. at least the use of juju to win elections is very african  grin
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by Sagamite(m): 5:17pm On May 26, 2010
oyb:

We no dey fornicate before oyinbo come? grin grin grin grin Dey there. grin
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by tkb417(m): 5:32pm On May 26, 2010
oyb:

yay!

see as log full obj eye cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

all these poster blathering about western culture probably have no problem with 'western' abominations like fornication, not so?
lmao grin grin grin

maybe some sins are greater than others cheesy
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by Katsumoto: 5:40pm On May 26, 2010
oyb:

yay!

Olboy, leave that side. When normal people sin, they do know it deep in their hearts that they are sinning but they are not expecting society to accept it. In other words, if you sleep with another man's wife or your son's wife, you don't out yourself and expect everyone to accept it. Why can't gay people just be like everyone else and do their dirty deeds in the dark? Society should not have to accept homosexuality just as it shouldn't have to accept bigamy, adultery, sex in public places, paedophilia etc.

There are different ages for consent for homosexual sex in Europe ranging from 12 - 18. If the Europeans lower it to 8, should we in Africa accept it?
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by Katsumoto: 5:42pm On May 26, 2010
Sagamite:

We no dey fornicate before oyinbo come? grin grin grin grin Dey there. grin

Point of correction, na oyinbo call am fonication. The time of our fathers (the good old days), before the white man came, we would just give some tubers of yam and pepper to the father (point and select style) of the woman and bingo, bobs your uncle. grin grin grin grin
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by Sagamite(m): 5:47pm On May 26, 2010
Katsumoto:

Point of correction, na oyinbo call am fonication. The time of our fathers (the good old days), before the white man came, we would just give some tubers of yam and pepper to the father (point and select style) of the woman and bingo, bobs your uncle. grin grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by Sagamite(m): 5:52pm On May 26, 2010
Me, as a liberal, my position on homosexuality is:

They are free to do any sick thing they want to as long as:

a) It does not promote their sick acts (no favourable legislations, no propagandish reporting by stewpid media)

b) It does not try to make it mainstream (that is not on TV, not in public, not teaching my kids in school to accept)

c) It does not come close to me arse or any show interest in me!

If what they are doing in that sick companionship does not fail these 3 tests, I am liberal. Otherwise clamp down on them.
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by Fhemmmy: 5:53pm On May 26, 2010
Let us be said as well that sleeping with your son's wife is a terrible sin
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by OAM4J: 5:56pm On May 26, 2010
Katsumoto:

Point of correction, na oyinbo call am fonication. The time of our fathers (the good old days), before the white man came, we would just give some tubers of yam and pepper to the father (point and select style) of the woman and bingo, bobs your uncle.   grin grin grin grin

^^^ hahahaha  grin grin grin ori yen so, (you got a point)  grin

@OP

Obj was right. It is un-African and we should keep it it out of Africa. Beside since the laws and culture of African land are still against it, the guilty should be rightly punished until the law is discarded of.

To think the West keep telling us polygamy is barbaric while they support/promote homosexuality, which is worse, homosexuality or polygamy? I prefer the west keep their homosexuality while Africa keep their polygamy
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by Katsumoto: 5:59pm On May 26, 2010
Sagamite:

Me, as a liberal, my position on homosexuality is:

They are free to do any sick thing they want to as longs:

a) It does not promote their sick acts (no favourable legislations, no propagandish reporting by stewpid media)

b) It does not try to make it mainstream (that is not on TV, not in public, not teaching my kids in school to accept)

c) It does not come close to me arse or any show interest in me!

If what they are doing in that sick companionship does not fail these 3 tests, I am liberal. Otherwise clamp down on them.

My friend, you are conservative like me. Nothing liberal in the above.  grin

The problem I have with male homosexuality (how I can I have a problem with two chicks getting down  grin ) is that it helped the spread of AIDS and now, the western media portray AIDS as an African problem without linking it to gays.
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by Sagamite(m): 6:03pm On May 26, 2010
Katsumoto:

My friend, you are conservative like me. Nothing liberal in the above.  grin

The problem I have with male homosexuality (how I can I have a problem with two chicks getting down  grin ) is that it helped the spread of AIDS and now, the western media portray AIDS as an African problem without linking it to gays.

Nah, I am a liberal with a filter. grin

I am open to new ideas as long as it has superior merit.

Conservative is when one want to stick to old ways without wish to hear something new.

Ediot is when one accepts anything without carefully assessing merit. No filter. grin
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by Katsumoto: 6:04pm On May 26, 2010
OAM4J:

^^^ hahahaha  grin grin grin ori yen so, (you got a point)  grin

@OP

Obj was right. It is un-African and we should keep it it out of Africa. Beside since the laws and culture of African land are still against it, the guilty should be rightly punished until the law is discarded of.

To think the West keep telling us polygamy is barbaric while they support/promote homosexuality, which is worse, homosexuality or polygamy? I prefer the west keep their homosexuality while Africa keep their polygamy

GBAM
3 gulders on me anytime for that. Besides a form of polygamy (keep one wife at a time but have several in your lifetime) is practiced in the west. Larry King almost got divorced from his 7th wife cos he was allegedly hitting the coochie her younger sister.
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by Sagamite(m): 6:06pm On May 26, 2010
OAM4J:

GBAM GBOSA GBAM

And they will convince some morons to support homosexuality under the stupid platitude of "two consent adults".

So is polygamy not "two consent adults". Anuofia logic!
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by Katsumoto: 6:08pm On May 26, 2010
Sagamite:

Nah, I am a liberal with a filter. grin

I am open to new ideas as long as it has superior merit.

Conservative is when one want to stick to old ways without wish to hear something new.

Ediot is when one accepts anything without carefully assessing merit. No filter. grin

Ok, let me re-phrase
I am conservative with regards to education, crime, homosexuality (not against it), respect, tradition, African values, etc
but open to new ideas with regards to strippers, poledancing, gentlemen's clubs, two coochies and a stiff object, etc  grin
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by Nobody: 6:17pm On May 26, 2010
but open to new ideas with regards to strippers, poledancing, gentlemen's clubs, two coochies and a stiff object, etc Grin

bros na western ideas be all of the above o cheesy cheesy cheesy

tho i guess we ould call all that topless traditional dancing a stripping forerunner cheesy cheesy
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by otawa: 6:19pm On May 26, 2010

May be you should ask Mr Obasanjo what about sleeping with his Son's Wife.
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by Sagamite(m): 6:22pm On May 26, 2010
Katsumoto:

Ok, let me re-phrase
I am conservative with regards to education, crime, homosexuality (not against it), respect, tradition, African values, etc
but open to new ideas with regards to strippers, poledancing, gentlemen's clubs, two coochies and a stiff object, etc  grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Honestly if na me own NL, I sweat I go tell google that no gay adverts like the one below this thread on my forum.

It irritates me. angry grin
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by Nobody: 6:26pm On May 26, 2010
^^^^

saga talk true na - some fella tried to poke you sometime in the not so distant past. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by Nobody: 6:27pm On May 26, 2010
The remarks, coming at a time of huge sensitivity around gay rights in Africa, have the potential to [b]embarrass [/b]Obasanjo's colleagues on the Africa Progress Panel, a respected body that monitors development across the continent. Chaired by Annan, its members include Blair, Geldof, economist Muhammad Yunus and Graca Machel, the women's and children's rights activist and wife of Nelson Mandela.

Talk about embarrassment!!!
One would think that things like Obasanjo conducting a mago mago election in Nigeria during his tenure, or the fact that Obasanjo is yet to be accounted for the billions of naira he said he reserved for electricity, or the rumor he slept with his daughter-in-law would have embarrassed the so-called African Progress Panel before they made him one of their colleagues. tongue
Obasanjo's spectacular resume grin did not bother them when they put him in, so they should keep shut!!!
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by redsun(m): 6:33pm On May 26, 2010
It is  a crazy world,we are all aliens,operating in different dimensions in the empty space.Nobody has the right to tell others how to feel,as long as one is not interfering with the other.

Feeling is personnal and people feel happy being gay,who cares?that is their reality,mine is different,i love bitches and that's me,the one and only me,i can only for myself.

We are all individuals.

However,obasanjo is too immoral to have a public moral opinion,he is a paedophile and insestious',apart from being a habitual blood socking thief.
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by Katsumoto: 6:36pm On May 26, 2010
stillwater:

Talk about embarrassment!!!
One would think that things like Obasanjo conducting a mago mago election in Nigeria during his tenure, or the fact that Obasanjo is yet to be accounted for the billions of naira he said he reserved for electricity, or the rumor he slept with his daughter-in-law would have embarrassed the so-called African Progress Panel before they made him one of their colleagues. tongue
Obasanjo's spectacular resume grin did not bother them when they put him in, so they should keep shut!!!

Correct, he wasn't judged on how his actions directly affected his consitutuents before he was accepted on the panel, they will now judge him because he said man should not f.0.c.k another man's yansh.
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by Sagamite(m): 6:48pm On May 26, 2010
oyb:

^^^^

saga talk true na - some fella tried to poke you sometime in the not so distant past.   cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

They will not find his dead body. Ama hide it well.  angry grin

Katsumoto:

Correct, he wasn't judged on how his actions directly affected his consitutuents before he was accepted on the panel, they will now judge him because he said man should not f.0.c.k another man's yansh.

Don't be surprised.

Gay rights is supreme in the UK.

It even surpasses child rights if the 2 conflicts. Talkless of African rights.

Useless country in moral meltdown.
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by OAM4J: 6:52pm On May 26, 2010
I still wonder why a lot of you people will not give obj benefit of doubt that he slept with his son's wife.

The only evidence you all have is that his' son who had a grouse with him and a love lost situation with his wife said so.

I dont know why obj will do that, for all he worths in naija, the guy can line up 100 ladies for himself daily, why would he pick his sons's wife?

saga & Katsumoto

Conservative or not, filter liberalism or not, no guy will ever hold my yansh. embarassed sad angry  I dont mind finding out what it will feel like lying with 2 or more girls tho, cheesy grin cos that is not un-african. grin
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by Nobody: 6:52pm On May 26, 2010
So what if he supports it? Who cares?

What baffles me is why ppl are still seeing this old bag as an important public figure.

Moving on. . . . now what does Goodluck Jonathan thinks about this?
Re: Obasanjo Supports Malawi Government: Condemns Homosexuality As An 'abomination' by initiate: 6:53pm On May 26, 2010
EzeUche:

It is a sin and an abomination! This is Western culture coming to Africa. Disgusting!  angry

not a case of western culture, but sheer depravity, lack of control and sheer madness. it is sign of twisted mind and faulty personality. this move should be resisted and wiped out. and it is a shame for leaders who condone it. it is just like you say parents have a choice cook their kids for dinner if they so desire! utter madness

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Breakingnews: WAEC Says It Has No Records On Buhari [letter Included] / Niger Delta Currency / MURDER!! Isa Pantami Now Has Murder Charge To Answer. (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.