Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,423 members, 7,812,243 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:35 AM

Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi (40102 Views)

Ben-Bruce Mocked Buhari With The Age Of His Ministers(Photos) / Can President Buhari Stop Nigerians Being Unruly?--From The BBC / President Jonathan Mocked In A New Newspaper Advert(Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by Anybaba: 5:51pm On Sep 28, 2012
Why all this hate on Nigerians, even from people we have done nothing against?

The debate if Malawi should allow free visa status with Nigeria has hit a common consensus. Respondents to the debate flighted on Nyasa Times has revealed a BIG NO to the proposal made by President Goodluck Jonathan during his recent and first ever visit to impoverished Malawi.

Of over (80) comments on the article titled: ‘Malawi Dabate: Should Malawi allow Nigerian citizens visa-free status?’, only 3 say YES and only 2 seem not decided and give reasons for or against, whilst the rest have sounded a BIG NO!

One comment in vernacular Chichewa says: “Ife atsikana apa Malawi tikuti yes. Tiwone zina Amuna aku Malawi are too too PRIMITIVE. Kaya azitipha tizifa titanjoya!!!!” meaning ‘We girls of Malawi say yes. We want a change because Malawian men are primitive. Whether they will kill us we would have enjoyed first’.

Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan walks side by side with President Joyce Banda during his visit to Malawi recently

However, many people’s sentiments are laced with allegations that Nigerians are ‘crooks’, ‘corrupt’, and only want to come to Malawi to make money and not share a common socio-development agenda.

“Malawi has got enough of home grown crooks. We don’t want a flood of additional Nigerians who are known for their enterprising crooked brains. No,no,no,” posts one.
http://www.nyasatimes.com/malawi/2012/09/28/malawians-unite-to-reject-visa-free-status-to-nigerians/?#comment-326364

This show of shame on the website quoted above has been on for more than a week now.

The question is why all this hate? Wetin we owe these people in Malawi?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by tpia5: 5:54pm On Sep 28, 2012
Why are you folks making yourselves miserable, gosh.

Who is malawi, and what took nigerians there?

If you must travel, must you go to malawi?

38 Likes

Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by Anybaba: 5:59pm On Sep 28, 2012
Another of such story lines to show the unwarranted hatred is herein:

http://www.nyasatimes.com/malawi/2012/09/26/malawi-debate-should-malawi-allow-nigerian-citizens-visa-free-status/

84 comments of pure hate !

I am actually not in that country, I have never gone nor will go there but this show of hate on the worldwide web is mind boggling !!!
Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by OYINBOGOJU(m): 6:41pm On Sep 28, 2012
That is what we face everywhere in the world but those against us now come back to admire us for our hardworking and never give up mind.

Ability to survive everywhere anywhere is what makes us giant of Africa.

12 Likes

Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by Rossikk(m): 7:06pm On Sep 28, 2012
Why won't they hate us? They turn on their TV and there is Nollywood. They switch on their radio and there's 2baba, Bracket, Whizkid and P-Square causing havoc. Everywhere they see Africans ballin', it's Nigerians.

It's like everywhere they turn, we dominate. Such a thing can induce real jealousy and animosity among people.

I suggest we ignore them, since they're hardly relevant in the wider scheme of things.

123 Likes

Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by FrankC3: 7:10pm On Sep 28, 2012
I think it is just a natural extension of what folks do here on NL, eager to malign and demean our country, insult our President, Senate, Judiciary and every thing that represent us as a people to the outside world. It has even gone so bad that foreigners who say something positive about us are now beign insulted for daring. UK tabloid can read the mood clearly and we are having uncharitable reports about our cities. But don't worry, if you want to be a progressive a smart Nigerian, just insult everything that represent us as a people. It is the best mood in town right now.

18 Likes

Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by tpia5: 7:12pm On Sep 28, 2012
Anybaba: Why all this hate on Nigerians, even from people we have done nothing against?

And btw, how do you know you did nothing to them?

Maybe your brothers ie fellow nigerians did- its up to you if you want to find out.

But why you are making yourself miserable because somebody doesnt like you, is what i dont get.
Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by Dondbuzor: 7:50pm On Sep 28, 2012
Malawi?
Is that a name of a dog?

11 Likes

Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by Nobody: 8:22pm On Sep 28, 2012
They know Nigerian leaders have nothing to offer to citizens, so why should they? Our politicians steal our money and dump it any other country that is not Nigeria. We all know Nigeria situation is hopeless.
Laughing in Spanish ..grin
Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by CyberG: 8:24pm On Sep 28, 2012
Rossikk: Why won't they hate us? They turn on their TV and there is Nollywood. They switch on their radio and there's 2baba, Bracket, Whizkid and P-Square causing havoc. Everywhere they see Africans ballin', it's Nigerians.

It's like everywhere they turn, we dominate. Such a thing can induce real jealousy and animosity among people.

I suggest we ignore them, since they're hardly relevant in the wider scheme of things.

You may be right in some of your comments BUT they have VERY legitimate reasons and not the BS you have focused up there ^^. The point is this a good name is better than silver and gold but you are implying the reverse. All the riches of natural and human resources and our diversity is completely irrelevant with a perpetually inept and CORRUPT leadership. Nigerian leadership and leading Nigerian companies rank off the scale in corruption, NO COUNTRY will ignore that 'cos it trumps all the other points you made. I have traveled to a lot of countries, lived in more places than you, carry a passport of a country that does not require a visa in almost any other country and I can tell you the experience of a Nigerian passport holder is different. Get real, if everyone thinks something is wrong with Nigeria, your own single (or partisan minority) opinion is of no consequence. I, as a Nigerian, state honestly that Nigeria is corrupt, inept, and bandies the most useless set of leaders that ever existed anywhere on this planet - except a very, very few of them!

17 Likes

Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by Youngzedd(m): 8:24pm On Sep 28, 2012
What actually do Malawi get, are they bigger than us or what.

What are we even doing on Malawi in the first place.

Let them do anything thing they like but one thing is for SURE they will beg Nigerians to come and invest in their country, it's just a matter of time, afterall we are their BIG brother.

He that reject Nigerians reject development

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by Wsdm: 8:26pm On Sep 28, 2012
It is not their fault. It is the fault of our president who asked them to start exporting rice to Nigeria. Meanwhile, this rice can be exported from Nigeria after satisfying local needs if we are in any way serious .
Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by Kessyy2k4(m): 8:26pm On Sep 28, 2012
Dondbuzor: Malawi?
Is that a name of a dog?
bros! Park well. Nigeria put ur house in other b4 cameroun capture nig. Ova bakasi isue

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by Nobody: 8:28pm On Sep 28, 2012
Who went τ̅o ∂α† God forsakin malawi τ̅o ask if nigerians be given free visa in †ЂΞ first place? Йą ∂α† person insult us not malawians or wateva.
Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by DANILSA(m): 8:29pm On Sep 28, 2012
I KNOW NIGERIA IS POOR AND BAD, BUT FOR CHRIST SAKE WE ARE 100% BETTER THAN MALAWI,MALAWI IS NO BETTER THAN SUDAN OR SOMALIA,THEY SHOULD BE BEGGING US FOR THAT FAVOR.WE DON SUFFER NO BE SMALL

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by dvee2: 8:30pm On Sep 28, 2012
That is how you hate on your fellow countryman simply because he comes from a different ethnic group. I have seen more hate directed at our fellow citizen in nairaland simply because their religion is different or they come from a different region. why are we now surprise we get this from foreigners?

19 Likes

Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by dayokanu(m): 8:30pm On Sep 28, 2012
Could it be linked to the activities of this Nairalander Malawian

https://www.nairaland.com/malawian

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by Voned(f): 8:30pm On Sep 28, 2012
Wretched country, trying to feel important. RUBBISH

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by acidtalk: 8:32pm On Sep 28, 2012
This is NO NEWS.
They are only doing what we do to ourselves every single day of the week all year round.

Or how else can you describe Yorubas abusing Ibos and the Ibos abuse Hausas. Christians insult Muslims and in circle the desrimination continue.

Abeg joh!!! Let's fix our house first and watch us start gaining respect outside.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by ebamma(m): 8:34pm On Sep 28, 2012
Nigeria is my country i shall not want,he makes me to lie down i vitafoam,it leads me beside oniru beach,he restoreth my food,he leads me in the path of lootingness for his name sake,though i walk through valleys of maiduguri i shall fear no evil,for soldiers are with me their guns and their bombs the comfort me, the prepareth a bank account before me in the presence of my enemies the anointed my account with bribes my balance runs over,Surely nairaland and 2go shall follow me all the days of my life and i shall dwell in my house in ajegunle forever and ever amen

8 Likes

Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by davidugotex(m): 8:35pm On Sep 28, 2012
The impression is very much the same here in Ghana.
Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by MacLovington(m): 8:36pm On Sep 28, 2012
CyberG:

You may be right in some of your comments BUT they have VERY legitimate reasons and not the BS you have focused up there ^^. The point is this a good name is better than silver and gold but you are implying the reverse. All the riches of natural and human resources and our diversity is completely irrelevant with a perpetually inept and CORRUPT leadership. Nigerian leadership and leading Nigerian companies rank off the scale in corruption, NO COUNTRY will ignore that 'cos it trumps all the other points you made. I have traveled to a lot of countries, lived in more places than you, carry a passport of a country that does not require a visa in almost any other country and I can tell you the experience of a Nigerian passport holder is different. Get real, if everyone thinks something is wrong with Nigeria, your own single (or partisan minority) opinion is of no consequence. I, as a Nigerian, state honestly that Nigeria is corrupt, inept, and bandies the most useless set of leaders that ever existed anywhere on this planet - except a very, very few of them!

Is there any country that is not corrupt especially in Africa? Sure enough we haven't shown good leadership in Africa. We should have done better. But corruption is common all over Africa.
The difference is that every Nigerian is a critic. Every Nigerian has an opinion about government failure and openly express it. Other Africans think saying so about their country means lack of patriotism.

Is there any emperical evidence that murder/theft/violation/bribery per 100,000 population in Nigeria is more than that of Malawi for example? NO.

Other Africans have to be naturally weary of domination by Nigeria. It is basic instinct to feel threatened by an imposing figure. Other smaller countries often attack Nigeria as self-defence.
The boisterous, confident nature of Nigerians is secretely admired by most but openly portrayed as arrogance. Girls particularly like it.

14 Likes

Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by Psylas(m): 8:36pm On Sep 28, 2012
Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by Kessyy2k4(m): 8:43pm On Sep 28, 2012
Wat ever humilatn 9ja folks get around d globe, our leadr cost it. 2 many q&a unanswer. Y coruptn ctn indefinatly? Y inpunity gain upper hand in d our senate n rep?, y terrorsm get suport 4fm so cal govt?, y unemploymt ovaweming graduate? Y religion, ethnic prblm gain ground?, y? Y?... No answer. No wondr common malawi humiliantin 9ja
Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by Rossikk(m): 8:44pm On Sep 28, 2012
CyberG:

Transparency International's latest corruption index has nations like Russia, Venezuela and Ivory Coast ranked WORSE than Nigeria in corruption, yet we don't see any vilification of those people.

We are vilified largely because we are black, big, wealthy, influential and potentially very powerful.

Yes there is corruption in Nigeria. But there is 100 times worse corruption in the USA as we speak. It's just not presented as such. In fact no nation is rap.ing Malawi more than the USA in terms of economic exploitation. But an American walks in there and they fall at his feet. YOU are a victim of media manipulation of global reality. That the world thinks all Nigerians are corrupt is not surprising. Many in the same world don't know we have up to three standing buildings in Africa, and reckon we sleep with elephants, all have AIDS and live in mud huts.

So one more added misconception is no great shock.

FACT is 99% of Nigerians have had NO contact with ANY foreigners in any business transaction, and therefore any 'reputation' among foreigners regarding the country's people is artificially constructed, and must be rejected by all right-thinking people.

(Rossikk returns to check his emails, and as usual, finds its flooded with letters from American fraudsters promising me millions for doing nothing. He then sights ONE from Nigeria, and wonders why everyone's focused on THAT one).

20 Likes

Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by Aringarosa(m): 8:45pm On Sep 28, 2012
Na wao! This is getting serious by day
Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by charles424(m): 8:45pm On Sep 28, 2012
Frank-C:
I think it is just a natural extension of what folks do here on NL, eager to malign and demean our country, insult our President, Senate, Judiciary and every thing that represent us as a people to the outside world. It has even gone so bad that foreigners who say something positive about us are now beign insulted for daring. UK tabloid can read the mood clearly and we are having uncharitable reports about our cities. But don't worry, if you want to be a progressive a smart Nigerian, just insult everything that represent us as a people. It is the best mood in town right now.

@Frank that's the truth about the whole matter,the day you start insulting yourself other people join you---Mamman vatsa
God safe nigeria and nigerians,which country is malawi? Malawi of all country....o ma se ooo
Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by CyberG: 8:45pm On Sep 28, 2012
MacLovington: .

Is there any country that is not corrupt especially in Africa? Sure enough we haven't shown good leadership in Africa. We should have done better. But corruption is common all over Africa.
The difference is that every Nigerian is a critic. Every Nigerian has an opinion about government failure and openly express it. Other Africans think saying so about their country means lack of patriotism.

Is there any emperical evidence that murder/theft/violation/bribery per 100,000 population in Nigeria is more than that of Malawi for example? NO.

Other Africans have to be naturally weary of domination by Nigeria. It is basic instinct to feel threatened by an imposing figure. Other smaller countries often attack Nigeria as self-defence.
The boisterous, confident nature of Nigerians is secretely admired by most but openly portrayed as arrogance. Girls particularly like it.

Keep deceiving yourself. Did you ever read enough to discover a body called Transparency International? Go and read their rankings. Then, read the UN HDI publications and match the two documents to deduce objectively where Nigeria stands - not even empirical evidence here but from data gathered about the countries. Finally think for a second, per 100,000; would a sample 160 M+ population or a 2 M population carry the day? Again read your history, Nigeria has been on the decline since the 70's and if any improvement ever occurred, it was between 1999-2007; meanwhile most other countries on Nigeria's level in the 70s have gone past: Malaysia, Singapore, Korea, etc. Or that doesn't mean anything to you still?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by Bunchersstab(m): 8:46pm On Sep 28, 2012
Y dem no go do naija any how wen una rulers don
Damage una
Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by FrankC3: 8:47pm On Sep 28, 2012
People are even proudly presenting themselves as having traveled to everywhere in the world and hold multiple citizenship and that their experience all over the world gives him reason to believe that what those Malawians are doing is the right thing. And don't be surprised that all in the name of opposition, some 'political parties' would not mind deploying more hands to help promote this ugly trend, after all 'opposition oppose'.
Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by vislabraye(m): 8:47pm On Sep 28, 2012
What is in Malawi sef? I really want to know what they have.
Re: Nigerians Being Scorned And Mocked In Malawi by mike404(m): 8:50pm On Sep 28, 2012
WHAT IS MALAWI

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Senate Approves Establishment Of Nigerian Peace Corps / Imo: NWC Drops Okorocha’s In Law, Adopt Hope Uzodinma / Nigeria Customs To Grill 12 Officers Allegedly Involved In Petrol Smuggling

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.