Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,153 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:53 AM

June 12: Tinubu, Fayemi Rejected Renaming Of UNILAG After Abiola (Throwback) - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / June 12: Tinubu, Fayemi Rejected Renaming Of UNILAG After Abiola (Throwback) (41843 Views)

This Campaign Advert Was Done In 1993 By MKO ABIOLA - Throwback Video / Medina Vs Jerusalem — Religious Tension Brews Over Renaming Of Oyo Community / Nigeria, 5 Other West African Countries Condemn Renaming Of CFA Franc To ECO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: June 12: Tinubu, Fayemi Rejected Renaming Of UNILAG After Abiola (Throwback) by kotv: 9:44pm On Jun 15, 2018
DoTheNeedful:

Let's see if they rename UNN tomorrow and people will not resist it. It is fallacious to say Yoruba people protested GEJ's subsidy removal. While I agree that the protest had political undertone from APC, nobody stopped PDP from sponsoring a protest when Buhari did same.

Naming a university after MKO in the SW was a move meant to reduce the man to a regional politician. A national holiday is far better. That is my opinion.

Note my emphasis on the bolded portion.
Most of the subsidy removal protest was done predominately in South West states if we exclude the North state. Yes we had few protest in other areas but in South, the protest was more focused on Yoruba states. Some Yorubas on this website even attacked others for not joining the politically induced protest. It is safe to say yoruba protest against the subsidy removal by GEJ but yet kept quiet when Buhari did it. North had an intense hate for GEJ for both his ethnicity and religious background. What was Yorubas reasons? It was obviously not for the benefit of the country and people as Yorubas would have had the same reaction when Buhari did it too.

We cannot be sure Yorubas reaction if Buhari attempt renaming the University; we can guess based on Yorubas reaction to Buhari's act recently. You said the reason why Yorubas were in support of Buhari's act but were against GEJ's act is because Buhari made MKO scarifice as a national holiday while GEJ kept it as a regional politician. isn't June 12 still currently a regional holiday? Beside Yoruba states, which other states announced June 12 as a public holiday? Currently, June 12 is not a national holiday. It is still a regional holiday. Currently, June 12 declaration is a promise of it becoming effective next year ironically, after the election. Based on Buhari's track record to his promises, the chances of him following through with that promise is slim. We cannot guess but we can judge based on his uphold to his past promises.
Re: June 12: Tinubu, Fayemi Rejected Renaming Of UNILAG After Abiola (Throwback) by collinsfhk(m): 9:54pm On Jun 15, 2018
jahsharon:
We now know who was and is still more powerful between Tinubu and Goatluck. Goatluck made a pronouncement on UNOLAG and Tinubu overruled it. Now, Buhari has made his pronouncement on June 12, even the Court cannot overrule it.

That is an attribute of a leader. A true leader doesn't force his opinion on the people
Re: June 12: Tinubu, Fayemi Rejected Renaming Of UNILAG After Abiola (Throwback) by DoTheNeedful: 10:08pm On Jun 15, 2018
kotv:

Most of the subsidy removal protest was done predominately in South West states if we exclude the North state. Yes we had few protest in other areas but in South, the protest was more focused on Yoruba states. Some Yorubas on this website even attacked others for not joining the politically induced protest. It is safe to say yoruba protest against the subsidy removal by GEJ but yet kept quiet when Buhari did it. North had an intense hate for GEJ for both his ethnicity and religious background. What was Yorubas reasons? It was obviously not for the benefit of the country and people as Yorubas would have had the same reaction when Buhari did it too.

We cannot be sure Yorubas reaction if Buhari attempt renaming the University; we can guess based on Yorubas reaction to Buhari's act recently. You said the reason why Yorubas were in support of Buhari's act but were against GEJ's act is because Buhari made MKO scarifice as a national holiday while GEJ kept it as a regional politician. isn't June 12 still currently a regional holiday? Beside Yoruba states, which other states announced June 12 as a public holiday? Currently, June 12 is not a national holiday. It is still a regional holiday. Currently, June 12 declaration is a promise of it becoming effective next year ironically, after the election. Based on Buhari's track record to his promises, the chances of him following through with that promise is slim. We cannot guess but we can judge based on his uphold to his past promises.

You are not getting it. You even contradicted yourself in your first paragraph. The protest was not a Yoruba thing and it was not everyone that supported it. I agree with you that it had political undertone but tribalizing it is evil. ACN/APC was never strong in the SS/SE and APC influenced the protest in the SW.

Nothing stops PDP/APGA from doing similar protest in the SS/SE.

I don't want to argue June 12 with you especially if you are under 27 years. You can't understand. MKO lost in the SE and he was not too popular there. The North conspired against him and wanted to sweep the issue under the carpet. Since the North betrayed him and he wasn't popular in the SE, the fight was left mostly to the SW. Even at that, people like Shehu Sani, Agbakoba, Alfred Rewane stood by him. Anyone that makes MKO a regional politician is either ignorant or evil.

Let Buhari rescind on the national holiday if he likes but even apart from politics, renaming first generation universities like UI, Unilag and UNN is not easy to do and will never be politically expedient for any politician. You will always have students and alumni to contend with. I was a staff and I'm an alumnus of the school I know what happened internally during that time. The alumni fought far more than the politicians. They went to meet GEJ a couple of times then. A lot of things happened in the background. Mind you, many of the excos of the alunmi association are not even Yoruba. Notable among them was Sunny Kuku.

By the way, you have carefully ignored what could happen if UNN is renamed after GEJ or any other politician tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: June 12: Tinubu, Fayemi Rejected Renaming Of UNILAG After Abiola (Throwback) by LaudableXX: 11:03pm On Jun 15, 2018
DoTheNeedful:
You are not getting it. You even contradicted yourself in your first paragraph. The protest was not a Yoruba thing and it was not everyone that supported it. I agree with you that it had political undertone but tribalizing it is evil. ACN/APC was never strong in the SS/SE and APC influenced the protest in the SW.

Nothing stops PDP/APGA from doing similar protest in the SS/SE.

I don't want to argue June 12 with you especially if you are under 27 years. You can't understand. MKO lost in the SE and he was not too popular there. The North conspired against him and wanted to sweep the issue under the carpet. Since the North betrayed him and he wasn't popular in the SE, the fight was left mostly to the SW. Even at that, people like Shehu Sani, Agbakoba, Alfred Rewane stood by him. Anyone that makes MKO a regional politician is either ignorant or evil.

Let Buhari rescind on the national holiday if he likes but even apart from politics, renaming first generation universities like UI, Unilag and UNN is not easy to do and will never be politically expedient for any politician.
You will always have students and alumni to contend with. I was a staff and I'm an alumnus of the school I know what happened internally during that time.
The alumni fought far more than the politicians. They went to meet GEJ a couple of times then. A lot of things happened in the background. Mind you, many of the excos of the alunmi association are not even Yoruba. Notable among them was Sunny Kuku.

By the way, you have carefully ignored what could happen if UNN is renamed after GEJ or any other politician tomorrow.

Thank you for educating the clueless, bro.' cool May the wisdom God blessed you with, continue to increase. cheesy

Even when Unife was renamed Obafemi Awolowo University, several years back by IBB, there were several protests in many quarters. sad The only reason the name change stuck, was because it was done under a military regime. No democratic regime would have done it, without receiving a horrific backlash. GEJ got a taste of that backlash, when he tried to rename UNILAG. undecided

A wise leader gauges the mood of his people, before embarking on an action, so that it does not backfire against him. sad GEJ failed on that score with respect to the renaming of UNILAG issue.

1 Like

Re: June 12: Tinubu, Fayemi Rejected Renaming Of UNILAG After Abiola (Throwback) by Ayobami7(m): 6:06pm On Jan 03, 2019
好朋友阮德英国加
Re: June 12: Tinubu, Fayemi Rejected Renaming Of UNILAG After Abiola (Throwback) by Boyooosa(m): 7:55am On Feb 25, 2019
LaudableXX:

GEJ did NOT try anything! angry UNILAG was already a brand, with a recognisable identity - both locally and internationally. Changing its' name, would have killed the brand. Moreover,why change its' identity without consulting the stakeholders? shocked It shows how insensitive GEJ was, at that time. There were more than 3 Federal Universities in the South, that had no recognisable identity or brand, whose names could have been changed or used to immortalise Abiola. Instead, GEJ stupidly tried to do a cosmetic name change with UNILAG. And it backfired big time. Silly man. undecided How clueless can a president be?
OSU and Uni Ife were also big brands before they were renamed to olabisi onabanjo and obafemi awolowo respectively. It looked odd back then but now, Ago and OAU will never speak any other thing to your mind b4 u register the two premier universities in it.
Of course, unilag is a big brand but not the biggest in Nigeria. We still have UI, Ahmadu Bello, OAU and the likes, so, my submission is regardless of the naming, renaming, its circumstances or the procedures employed, the most important thing is the quality and a continuous improved standard. That makes the institution relevant and progressive.
Re: June 12: Tinubu, Fayemi Rejected Renaming Of UNILAG After Abiola (Throwback) by seanwilliam(m): 11:04am On Jun 16, 2019
Boyooosa:

OSU and Uni Ife were also big brands before they were renamed to olabisi onabanjo and obafemi awolowo respectively. It looked odd back then but now, Ago and OAU will never speak any other thing to your mind b4 u register the two premier universities in it.
Of course, unilag is a big brand but not the biggest in Nigeria. We still have UI, Ahmadu Bello, OAU and the likes, so, my submission is regardless of the naming, renaming, its circumstances or the procedures employed, the most important thing is the quality and a continuous improved standard. That makes the institution relevant and progressive.
sentiment aside, unilag is the biggest brand in naija varsity

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Is This The Most Calm And Organized Polling Unit In Nigeria??? (photos) / Dr Maduka: "I Will Build 21 University Statelite Campuses In 21 LGA If Elected" / It Was A Slip Of Tongue - Tinubu Clarifies Gaffe At Kadinvest 7.0

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.