Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,750 members, 7,813,467 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:39 PM

England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree (10942 Views)

Shooting Spree Kills Six In Santa Monica, California / 4 Killed In California Shooting Spree / Should Guns Be Outlawed In America. Another Shooting Spree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by AloyEmeka8: 7:56pm On Jun 02, 2010
[size=14pt]12 dead in U.K. shooting rampage[/size]
Suspect, a taxi driver who was 'friends with everybody,' also found dead

Andrew Milligan / AP
Police check a body lying on Hagget End Road in Egremont, England. The person was a victim of a shooting spree Wednesday in rural northwestern England.

msnbc.com news services
updated 27 minutes ago
SEASCALE, England - A taxi driver described as "friends with everybody" went on a shooting spree across the scenic Lake District of northwestern England on Wednesday, police said, killing 12 people and wounding 25 others before shooting himself.

The rampage in Cumbria was the deadliest mass shooting since 1996 in Britain, where gun ownership is tightly restricted and handguns are banned.

The deadly spree "has shocked the people of Cumbria and around the country to the core," Deputy Chief Constable Stuart Hyde said.

Officers found Derrick Bird's body in woods near the Lake District village of Boot. Hyde said two weapons were recovered from the scene.

The shootings occurred in the town of Whitehaven and nearby Seascale and Egremont, about 350 miles northwest of London. The area is popular with hikers and vacationers.

Health service spokesman Nigel Calvert said three of the injured were in a critical condition in the hospital.

Hyde said there were 30 separate crime scenes. Witnesses described seeing the gunman driving around shooting out the window of his car. His victims included a woman on a bicycle, a farmer in his field and at least two fellow taxi drivers.

Barrie Walker, a doctor in Seascale who certified one of the deaths, told the BBC that victims had been shot in the face, apparently with a shotgun.

Witness Alan Hannah told the Whitehaven News that he saw a man with a shotgun in a car near a taxi stand in Whitehaven. Photos showed a body, covered in a sheet, lying in a street in the town.

The BBC reported that detectives said Bird drove to the central Lake District in a Citroen Picasso and abandoned it in the Boot area. Hyde said a body thought to be Bird's was then found in a wooded area, the BBC reported.

Ho / Reuters
The body of Derrick Bird was discovered in a remote hamlet in northwest England.
"This kind of thing doesn't happen in our part of the world," local lawmaker Jamie Reed told the BBC. "We have got one of the lowest, if not the lowest, crime rates in the country."

Multiple shootings in Britain are rare. In 1987, gun enthusiast Michael Ryan killed 16 people in the English town of Hungerford. In 1996, Thomas Hamilton killed 16 children and a teacher at a kindergarten in Dunblane, Scotland.

Glenda Pears, who runs L&G Taxis in Whitehaven, said one of the victims was another taxi driver who was a friend of Bird's.

"They used to stand together having a craic (laugh) on the rank," she said. "He was friends with everybody and used to stand and joke on Duke Street."

Sue Matthews, who works at A2B Taxis in Whitehaven, said Bird was self-employed, quiet and lived alone.

"I would say he was fairly popular. I would see him once a week out and about. He was known as 'Birdy,"' she said.

"I can't believe he would do that — he was a quiet little fellow."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37467424/ns/world_news-europe/?GT1=43001
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by redsun(m): 10:14pm On Jun 02, 2010
Domestic terrorism,american style.
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jun 03, 2010
only one comment? Reading the flotilla threads you'd think nairalanders had a love for peace.
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by ElRazur: 7:02am On Jun 04, 2010
redsun:

Domestic terrorism,american style.

Interesting. How did you arrive at that one? Please enlighten me. grin

The guy was a tortured soul. It was reported that he is a divorcee and his friends use that to taunt him most times. There are reports suggesting he wasn't happy with the way the Will of their mother was handled by the solicitor. Also, it was alleged that he gave a warning of "there will be rampage tomorrow" the day before when his friends taunted him again about how he cannot get a woman etc.

From all indications, it appears the attacks are not as random as it seems. He killed his solicitors, friends who taunted him and a few people who appears to be in his way during the rampage.

Whatever the case, it is a shocking case and a bad one. I just hope the UK government do not rush to make changes to the gun laws again, because as it stands, it is hard to get a gun on licence.
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by ElRazur: 7:05am On Jun 04, 2010
davidylan:

only one comment? Reading the flotilla threads you'd think nairalanders had a love for peace.

Silly internet and keyboard warriors. The most vocal of them will not part with their cash for the Palestine cause in anyway.

One that I just laughed over was the guy who post something along the lines of "Our brothers in Palestine". I mean WTF! How are you brothers with them? Religious reason? Never heard that before. I wonder if folks up in Dafur aint brothers enough?
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by Afam(m): 8:24am On Jun 04, 2010
ElRazur:

Silly internet and keyboard warriors. The most vocal of them will not part with their cash for the Palestine cause in anyway.

One that I just laughed over was the guy who post something along the lines of "Our brothers in Palestine". I mean WTF! How are you brothers with them? Religious reason? Never heard that before. I wonder if folks up in Dafur aint brothers enough?

I sense desperation setting in here. One fact remains that you guys cannot dictate to anyone what topics to comment on. This fact will continue to eat you up until you probably commit suicide. Facts don't lie and they don't change. Hit your head against a wall.
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by ElRazur: 8:55am On Jun 04, 2010
Afam:

I sense desperation setting in here. One fact remains that you guys cannot dictate to anyone what topics to comment on. This fact will continue to eat you up until you probably commit suicide. Facts don't lie and they don't change. Hit your head against a wall.

I sense I touched a nerve once again here. I love it. smiley

Please post something I haven't heard before from you. Regurgitated clap trap your post all over gets depressing you see.

It is ironic, that your post here and across the forum can be seen as that of someone trying to control what can be said or not. Jeez. How you never drown in your own stream of irony is beyond me.

Nice one Afam. I see through you. Bloody one trick pony. What more do you have? smiley
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by Afam(m): 9:18am On Jun 04, 2010
Seems the only thing you post these days are blame posts since basically everyone has learned to ignore your incoherent and ignorant posts. grin grin
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by ElRazur: 9:34am On Jun 04, 2010
Afam:

Seems the only thing you post these days are blame posts since basically everyone has learned to ignore your incoherent and ignorant posts. grin grin

Another regurgitated depressing claptrap message sponsored by Afam industries.

Everyone? You mean the Palestine brotherhood front around here? Yeah I am sure that qualifies as everyone. Nice one on showing how you really are incoherent and very ignorant. smiley
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by Afam(m): 9:42am On Jun 04, 2010
ElRazur:

Another regurgitated depressing claptrap message sponsored by Afam industries.

Everyone? You mean the Palestine brotherhood front around here? Yeah I am sure that qualifies as everyone. Nice one on showing how you really are incoherent and very ignorant. smiley

This is what you get when your thought process is flawed and level of reasoning low.

Read again what you are complaining about and you will see the word "basically" before everyone.

So, who be the mumu now? Ode. grin
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by ElRazur: 9:57am On Jun 04, 2010
One again, you are showing how awesome you are. English language may not be your strong points, but allow me to show you up once again. smiley

You see, Basically is the same as saying Essentially, and when used like you have, you are stating an important point.

Your so called "important point" was everyone ignored me. Yet, this is inaccurate and nothing but another one of those claptraps. smiley

Seriously, do you really have anything important to add? Wait, let me help. Try and clutch for straws, try claiming superiority, try sidestepping issues, heck try insulting. smiley Go on, show me something I haven't see from you before.

For the record, you are still forever caught in your stream of irony. Surely, if everyone ignored me like you claimed, you should be part of everyone too? No? Jeez, simple common sense. How many post of mine have you replied to now?

Afam, I am enjoying this. Go on, give me some more. smiley
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by Afam(m): 10:00am On Jun 04, 2010
ElRazur:

One again, you are showing how awesome you are. English language may not be your strong points, but allow me to show you up once again. smiley

You see, Basically is the same as saying Essentially, and when used like you have, you are stating an important point.

Your so called "important point" was everyone ignored me. Yet, this is inaccurate and nothing but another one of those claptraps. smiley

Seriously, do you really have anything important to add? Wait, let me help. Try and clutch for straws, try claiming superiority, try sidestepping issues, heck try insulting. smiley Go on, show me something I haven't see from you before.

For the record, you are still forever caught in your stream of irony. Surely, if everyone ignored me like you claimed, you should be part of everyone too? No? Jeez, simple common sense. How many post of mine have you replied to now?

Afam, I am enjoying this. Go on, give me some more. smiley

Your olodoness no get part 2.

There is a world of difference between basically everyone and everyone.

If you cannot understand this then you are a huge disappointment I am sure even to your parents that spent their money sending you to school.
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by ElRazur: 10:09am On Jun 04, 2010
Afam:

Your olodoness no get part 2.

There is a world of difference between basically everyone and everyone.

If you cannot understand this then you are a huge disappointment I am sure even to your parents that spent their money sending you to school.

Once again you are showing you know very little. But yeah, keep it coming. smiley

In the context in which you have used "basically", you are making an important point. Your point is that[i] Everyone ignored me.[/i] That is the point you are getting across, and grammatically, that is what words like "Basically" et al are used for.

I.e It is used to highlight an important point in a sentence.

But I am guessing in your infinite wisdom [Hopefully you understand sarcasm], you are trying to rewrite the rules of English grammar in order to validate your errors. Nice.

As for your last paragraph, what a load of recycled shiiit. smiley

Come on, Challenge me and stop trying to challenge me.
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by Afam(m): 10:17am On Jun 04, 2010
This forum can never be a substitute for real education.

Basically qualified the word everyone and my using the word basically wasn't an after thought but a natural way of writing where I know the difference between "all" and "almost" or between "some" or "many".

Same way words like almost and some act as qualifiers.

I didn't know you were this empty upstairs. You never know when to stop digging, you are embarrassing yourself here.

You need help. Seems you have gone round the bend on this one. I warned you some months ago that you would self destruct on this forum but I must confess I didn't know it would happen this fast. Well done.
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by ElRazur: 10:34am On Jun 04, 2010
Afam:

This forum can never be a substitute for real education.

I agree, hence why I am suggesting you pick up a few lessons. It can help with your understanding, translations, logic etc. smiley

Basically qualified the word everyone and my using the word basically wasn't an after thought but a natural way of writing where I know the difference between "all" and "almost" or between "some" or "many".

Same way words like almost and some act as qualifiers.

I didn't know you were this empty upstairs. You never know when to stop digging, you are embarrassing yourself here.

No sir. You will find that all you are doing is trying to rewrite the rules of English Grammar. Something that only a muppet and someone who could do with "Adult education" will try.

The word Basically cannot be used to qualify the word Everyone. It is nothing but an "Emphasis" on the word Everyone. Get it? Go back to my explanation above. It is used to highlight the most important point in a sentence.

Let us assume it does for a minute, the removal of a qualifier from a sentence do not change the message - Simple basic grammar rules.

So your message is still that "Everyone ignored me". Again, a stupid thing to say given that it is untrue in the first place.

You need help. Seems you have gone round the bend on this one. I warned you some months ago that you would self destruct on this forum but I must confess I didn't know it would happen this fast. Well done.

Dude, you are now a broken record. Tell me something new.

Clutching for straws won't help this time around.
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by Afam(m): 10:49am On Jun 04, 2010
ElRazur:

Let us assume it does for a minute, the removal of a qualifier from a sentence do not change the message - Simple basic grammar rules.

Almost everyone joined in the beating - Not everyone but majority.

Everyone joined in the beating - No exception, everyone was involved.

Now, take away the qualifier "Almost" in the first sentence and tell me if the two sentences are the same. Ignorance is a disease I tell you. You sure say you finish secondary education so?
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by ElRazur: 11:06am On Jun 04, 2010
Afam:

Almost everyone joined in the beating - Not everyone but majority.

Everyone joined in the beating - No exception, everyone was involved.

Now, take away the qualifier "Almost" in the first sentence and tell me if the two sentences are the same. Ignorant is a disease I tell you. You sure say you finish secondary education so?

Price of tea in china and Robert Mugabe phoning Mandela.

Once again, you lifted points that suit you. And somehow left behind those that rip your points apart. I love this. smiley

No, don't try to save face, your original statement was using "Basically" to highlight or emphasise on the point of "Everyone have learned to.  .  .   .  ."

Then you turned around and claimed "Basically" was a "qualifier" for "Everyone".

That is the point, and the point I am keen on discussing.

As it stand, you have shown that your have poor understanding of basic grammar structures.

You cannot sway away from your point, then use one weak point to try and rewrite the rules of Grammar.  It is clear what your original message was. While it is nothing short of[i] bullshiit[/i], it is untrue and goes to show you up for what you are - one dimensional person.

No offence, but anyone who uses "Basically" as a qualifier" for "Everyone" do not have a leg stand on, and ask about the qualification of others.

As it stand, once again I agree with you that Ignorance is a disease, and you need curing. I recommend adult education for you Afam. smiley

Please challenge me Afam! You are weak, very weak. Heck, your post are getting weaker and weaker. I dare you to challenge the points raised in this post and the previous ones. smiley
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by debosky(m): 11:13am On Jun 04, 2010
davidylan:

I don't see the connection - one man's mental breakdown leading a radom attack killing people in his locale, compared to a deliberate confrontation associated with a never ending conflict lasting over 50 years based on ideological, religious and arguably racial differences.

People died in both cases, but in one, it was a single man's decision. In the other, one of the best armies on the planet killed 'activists' on an allegedly 'peaceful' flotilla in international waters.

I suggest both Afam and ElRazur visit me for tutoring - as The Man Who Invented Grammar (c) leave the oyinbo splitting to me. grin
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by ElRazur: 11:15am On Jun 04, 2010
Home boy, where have you been? Long time. wink
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by Afam(m): 11:19am On Jun 04, 2010
ElRazur:

Home boy, where have you been? Long time. wink

He's been trying his best to avoid you. grin grin

Chei! I for kukuma do the same thing sef. Your olodoness is increasing by the day.
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by ElRazur: 11:22am On Jun 04, 2010
Afam:

He's been trying his best to avoid you. grin grin

Chei! I for kukuma do the same thing sef. Your olodoness is increasing by the day.

It is okay, you can lick your wounds.

smiley
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by montelik(m): 11:24am On Jun 04, 2010
ElRazur:

Whatever the case, it is a shocking case and a bad one. I just hope the UK government do not rush to make changes to the gun laws again, because as it stands, it is hard to get a gun on licence.
Don't you like the gun laws as they are strict. Abi you are looking to purchase your 9mm  shocked . I know they say that knife crime is rising rapidly in the UK, but you suppose sabi how to handle yourself as a Naija hustla.  grin
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by ElRazur: 11:32am On Jun 04, 2010
montelik:

Don't you like the gun laws as they are strict. Abi you are looking to purchase your 9mm  shocked . I know they say that knife crime is rising rapidly in the UK, but you suppose sabi how to handle yourself as a Naija hustla.  grin

Lol. Not that, I have always looked at the possibilities of living in the country side, and as such, owning a shot-gun is something am keen on. I like Rabbit hunting and shooting for wild birds sha. smiley  But that will be after moving to a country side, no way I will apply for one when am in the city. grin
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by Afam(m): 11:44am On Jun 04, 2010
ElRazur:

Lol. Not that, I have always looked at the possibilities of living in the country side, and such owing a shot-gun is something am keen on. I like Rabbit hunting and shooting for wild birds sha. smiley  But that will be after moving to a country side, no way I will apply for one when am in the city. grin

Na wah ooo, others are owning and you are keen on owing? Dis guy your problem plenty sha.
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by ElRazur: 11:48am On Jun 04, 2010
My post have typos in them. Big deal. I am sure yours are forever typo-free? Nice.

Keep licking your wound. smiley
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by debosky(m): 11:49am On Jun 04, 2010
Gun control in itself can never prevent this type of incident. You just need people to be more alert to people around them and what they are going through. Unfortunately, the increasing isolation in society is likely to lead to more and more of these types of incidents when people snap and feel there's no one who can help them.

Can you guys bury the beef already?
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by EloSela(f): 2:34pm On Jun 04, 2010
@Afam and ElRazur

Please get room.
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by Afam(m): 2:38pm On Jun 04, 2010
EloSela:

@Afam and ElRazur

Please get room.

Tufiakwa! Get room do wetin? How will someone claim that everyone is wrong in an argument simply because he was proven wrong?
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by ElRazur: 6:11pm On Jun 04, 2010
Afam:

Tufiakwa! Get room do wetin? How will someone claim that everyone is wrong in an argument simply because he was proven wrong?

It is a shame that you will do anything to save face.

Here, let me kick your backside once again. smiley 

I am not sure what you have proven wrong here. Is it your wrong usage of an Adverb as a Qualifier?  The fact that your grasp of basic Grammar structures is elementary? Or the fact that you have been shown to be nothing but a one trick pony?  smiley

Please consider Adult education. It will do you some good. smiley

EloSela:

@Afam and ElRazur

Please get room.

Apologies.  smiley
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by ElRazur: 6:22pm On Jun 04, 2010
Error. smiley
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by Afam(m): 6:25pm On Jun 04, 2010
ElRazur:

Error. smiley

Confused person! Why you no go dey commit errors and blunders like mad every hour when you are not organized upstairs?

ElRazur:

It is a shame that you will do anything to save face.

Here, let me kick your backside once again. smiley 

I am not sure what you have proven wrong here. Is it your wrong usage of an Adverb as a Qualifier?  The fact that your grasp of basic Grammar structures is elementary? Or the fact that you have been shown to be nothing but a one trick pony?  smiley

Please consider Adult education. It will do you some good. smiley

I now have you where I needed you to be and that is where you actually belong - irrelevant position.

Ok, feel free to make the following changes -  Replace basically with almost in my statement. I hope this one will keep your trap shut for some time now.
Re: England: 12 Dead In A Shooting Spree by ElRazur: 6:40pm On Jun 04, 2010
Afam:

Confused person! Why you no go dey commit errors and blunders like mad every hour when you are not organized upstairs?

I now have you where I needed you to be and that is where you actually belong - irrelevant position.

Ok, feel free to make the following changes -  Replace basically with almost in my statement. I hope this one will keep your trap shut for some time now.

No! You muppet. You are still trying to rewrite the rules. Sorry, what happened to your respect for facts? What a joke. Go back to your original statement. It is wrong, inaccurate and nothing but a show of elementary grasp of basic knowledge. smiley

Your position and excuses have changed on this particular issue, how many times again? undecided Before we forget what it is all about. You are trying to use the word "Basically" as a qualifier for "Everyone". I mean, not only is this wrong, but you are displaying a classic symptom of an obtuse person.

Go on talk some more. Your original statement is that "Basically everyone have learnt. . . . . ". You know, sticking to this wont be so hard. Make that your talking point and let see how far you get. I guess you are so weak that you will rather look for cheap shots. Seriously, what a muppet.

Throwing stones and living in a glass house is nothing but calling for trouble. Something you ain't ready for. Try and remember that before you bring your claptrap towards me again. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Who Brought Gsm To Nigeria?abacha/obasanjo? / President John Mahama Sworn Into Office In Ghana / Nelson Mandela:rest In Peace!: An Uncommon Hero! (Rumour, Hoax)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.