Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,625 members, 7,823,754 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:31 PM

Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments (21331 Views)

Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? / Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? / Mike Bamiloye Exposes Church Instrumentalists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by sunbilor(m): 10:07am On Jun 24, 2018
They must be paid! Failure to pay them is a crime against God and man. Only greedy pastors do not see reason in paying them.
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by Pavore9: 10:12am On Jun 24, 2018
genaro2000:

U mean they don't get paid

No they don't, it is a thing of joy to be handling the instruments and expressing yourself.
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by jaxxy(m): 10:14am On Jun 24, 2018
Bash10:
Don’t pastors get payed?

Haha dis got me grin

1 Like

Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by Abbycite(m): 10:17am On Jun 24, 2018
This is one of the reason Christianity is becoming a joke. If you are being paid to praise your God, then something must be wrong with your soul.

The excuse that "they pay to learn it" or "is there only means of livelihood" is just morally wrong if your conscience is not faulty.

Well, is not really surprising considering the fact that some people even pay gate fee to enter the church.

I cant even trust any pastors that indulge in such abnormalities. Why not make the payment go round by paying the choir, ushers, even the church members too.

#radarada#

4 Likes

Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by herich(m): 10:18am On Jun 24, 2018
Armstrong34:

do you know how much it cost to learn music at MUSON center ,Peterkings music school or ten strings musical institute...we spend more than 70k for theory, 30k for practicals for a grade ...and there are over 12 grades to pass through bfor you can be called a professional pianist or saxopho

After going to school to study law, you become a lawyer right?
After graduating from music school, you should become a musician?
So you're expected to open your own studio and start music production.
Davido and co are making it big time out there.
Be looking for who will pay you, before you serve God.

2 Likes

Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by Kingstanding: 10:18am On Jun 24, 2018
mcyemite:
sorry can you help me with his phone no?
v His phone number is Jesus.
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by Iykolysis: 10:19am On Jun 24, 2018
Hiploko:

Proverbs 18:16 (A man's gift maketh room for him, and bringeth him before great men)

Several arguments have occurred on whether it is right for an instrumentalist to be paid for playing musical instruments in the church or not. We were having a discussion with my friend who is an RCCG pastor and his suggestion was skewed towards Matt 10;8( Freely you have received, freely you give).

Our other friend told him of the several occurrences where Pastors charge money as much as N5K in the name of booking for deliverance. Some charge money to see the man of god. If a pastor who did not pay a kobo to receive whatever power he is using( except he paid for ritualistic materials used to acquire power), he has no right to charge or even deny instrumentalists their share of the taxing.

IS IT WRONG OR RIGHT TO PAY CHOIR INSTRUMENTALISTS TO PLAY MUSIC IN THE CHURCH?

Op if I may ask, are choir instrumentalists the only skilled/semi_skilled workers in a church setting? No. Other career workers in church, who are not pastors, like accounts-clerk, compound cleaners, drivers, sextons, electricians/media technicians, etc, are all paid to function in their roles.

Therefore designated and devoted church organist/instrumentalists should be in the pay role as well or a well taught-out welfare package (not necessarily money) be put in place for them.
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by kingvicking(m): 10:21am On Jun 24, 2018
eph12:
For some of them, it's a career and not just volunteering. They paid money to learn how to play those instruments and they have to be available every service day. That's what they use to take care of themselves and their families

fully answered,
I graduated 2014 could not bag a well paid job till earlier this year,
I lived on drumming, (concerts, churches, parties, as a drum tutor, etc)

but I don't collect money from my birth church, though that's because dey won't pay, dey will tell u ur life history if u complain

1 Like

Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by princeade86(m): 10:24am On Jun 24, 2018
in as much the clergy is receiving money,there is nothing wrong in paying choirs instrumentalist.
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by Nobody: 10:35am On Jun 24, 2018
Encourage them to keep contributing their vocal cords. If you don't, they find something else doing, and miss church. That affects their performance, and hence the need for them. They are also ministers; you can't pay pastors and leave them out
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by HomeOfMe(f): 10:40am On Jun 24, 2018
Armstrong34:

do you know how much it cost to learn music at MUSON center ,Peterkings music school or ten strings musical institute...we spend more than 70k for theory, 30k for practicals for a grade ...and there are over 12 grades to pass through bfor you can be called a professional pianist or saxopho
I know..
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by miraclea: 10:41am On Jun 24, 2018
There is no sin in paying or beign payed as instrumentalists it takes time in practice and dedication to be a good one the offering and thithe is for church workers pastors widows and the poor
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by seguno2: 10:57am On Jun 24, 2018
Hiploko:

Proverbs 18:16 (A man's gift maketh room for him, and bringeth him before great men)

Several arguments have occurred on whether it is right for an instrumentalist to be paid for playing musical instruments in the church or not. We were having a discussion with my friend who is an RCCG pastor and his suggestion was skewed towards Matt 10;8( Freely you have received, freely you give).

Our other friend told him of the several occurrences where Pastors charge money as much as N5K in the name of booking for deliverance. Some charge money to see the man of god. If a pastor who did not pay a kobo to receive whatever power he is using( except he paid for ritualistic materials used to acquire power), he has no right to charge or even deny instrumentalists their share of the taxing.

Is it right to pay pastors
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by blackaxe78: 10:59am On Jun 24, 2018
dazzlingd:
They are working for God ...labour for God is free, only the pastors are chosen to enjoy the dividends of tithing

Sigh...
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by SheikhMuniru(m): 11:02am On Jun 24, 2018
C.A.C AND THE APOSTOLIC CHURCH WILL NEVER PAY THEIR INSTRUMENTALIST BECAUSE THESE CHURCHES DON'T CHERISH THEIR INSTRUMENTALISTS
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by bomasek(m): 11:25am On Jun 24, 2018
In ESOCS,they are not paid a dime,it's even competitive for them to play on Sundays thus this leads to squabbles over play time on Sundays sometimes, so if one leaves on that account(not getting paid), there are two on standby to take over from him/her
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by itzokay: 11:26am On Jun 24, 2018
Bobby4090:
There should be a kind of welfare package for them. If it's not a regular salary, then the pastor in charge must make sure he meets with them regularly and discusses their financial and spiritual welfare too. Because, Not only must they be around on Sundays, they must also be around probably on weekday fellowships and for Choir practice. And in some cases during Marriages, Crusades or any other church activity outside the regular ones. And besides they have to update their skills and learn new songs.
They are skilled workers and have to be paid in one way or the other in other to keep them going on strong and happily. It's like arguing that the church security men should not be paid because they are fellow church members.

Well said. I think its Ok that they be supported in terms of welfare, I mean for those who are struggling; just to encourage them. It shouldn't be a payment for services rendered, as whatever you do, u do for the Lord and shouldn't be paid for serving God. Not only musicians though, all those serving the Lord who are in distress should be encouraged by the church and its members. Its not easy serving God when finance is low, temptations build up.
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by phr33man(m): 11:43am On Jun 24, 2018
My opinion. It's best to get them a good job based on their qualification. Then, let them decide either to come and worship their Creator.
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by ijaola(m): 11:43am On Jun 24, 2018
I don't see anything wrong here. I play the keyboard in my church, no money and not interested in the money. Am no a pro. But imagine someone who study music in school, can play any musical note by sight reading and play the full part, someone that can coach young choir in voices and how to sing, groom them, teach them how to sing to part, it a whole lot of work. They should be pay.

I have come across someone who does it for free. Very good on the pipe but he has other job.

I went to school and study, working now and making ends meet. So also those that study music in school should make money.

Have you seen a cathedral choir before, you would know that the organist are working
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by sunnywhyt007: 11:45am On Jun 24, 2018
laliga01:

I De Kome!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin
Sense will not kill me.
IDK means I Don’t Know
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by obowunmi(m): 11:50am On Jun 24, 2018
lexy2014:
so its better to take care of outsiders than ur own?

It would mean you'd have to pay every church worker to be fair.

Prayer warriors,
Ushers,
Deacons,
Choristers....
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by vonlogon: 11:55am On Jun 24, 2018
I am a man of God, we pay everyone that works in the church, even if its feeding and transport allowance, the fact that they are there at the expense of other things they have to do, makes them worthy of the payment.
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by mcstan18(m): 12:05pm On Jun 24, 2018
Some volunteer to do it, no problems. But for those that eke a living with it, the church should pay for such services. How then is the brother/sister expected to pay tithe?

Besides, who says being an instrumentalist was a free gift?. It's usually a result of diligence and hardwork
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by davekata: 12:20pm On Jun 24, 2018
Pavore9:
That is not even a question in the Catholic Church.

it is a thing of joy to be handling the instruments and expressing yourself.

Nwanne you can't compare a catholic instrumentalist with a contemporary instrumentalist. I just need dedication to learn how to play in a catholic church. But I need more than dedication to play comtemporarily. I spend money. Imagine buying a cd tutorial of just one technique for almost 3k and I'll be needing about 15 for a start. Money to fuel generator nko, and transport to uninvited rehearsal, all for the sake of improving? I believe the mindset one adopts matters; for service or business.
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by lexy2014: 12:28pm On Jun 24, 2018
obowunmi:

It would mean you'd have to pay every church worker to be fair.

Prayer warriors,
Ushers,
Deacons,
Choristers....
If d pastor is buying private jet and living large on d free labour of his members, y not. That was d original idea in acts 4:32-35
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by anukulapo: 12:35pm On Jun 24, 2018
aAK1:
so you mean in your church you have volunteer security 24/7? And your accountants are not paid to? I wonder how much they are counting
Good question.
Do instrumentalists play 24/7?
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by sucre: 12:46pm On Jun 24, 2018
Pavore9:
That is not even a question in the Catholic Church.

it is a thing of joy to be handling the instruments and expressing yourself.

Ehhhnn but you pay the priest bah? Receive sense
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by sucre: 12:54pm On Jun 24, 2018
My people according to the bible singers/instrumentalist and probably other workers(porters)eat from the tithe.I.e should be paid wages,
"And he had prepared for him a great chamber, where aforetime they laid the meat offerings, the frankincense, and the vessels, and the tithes of the corn, the new wine, and the oil, which was commanded to be given to the Levites, and the singers, and the porters; and the offerings of the priests.

Nehemiah 13:5 down
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 1:12pm On Jun 24, 2018
obowunmi:
It is wrong if they are a member of the church. If they aren't then you have to pay.
so it's safe to say the Pastor's shouldn't receive anything too then?
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by Chapelbeatz(m): 1:13pm On Jun 24, 2018
Its our work ooooooooooooooooooooooo
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by delishpot: 1:16pm On Jun 24, 2018
Hiploko:

Depending on who they are. If they are hired by the church then it is a business deal, if they are member or outside volunteer then they will not demand for pay.
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by obowunmi(m): 1:32pm On Jun 24, 2018
INDUSTRIALFAN:
so it's safe to say the Pastor's shouldn't receive anything too then?

A pastor is a church manager, and instrumentalist isnt. Who leads the church if pastor doesn't ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pastor Penuel Mnguni Feeds Members With Rice And Worm / What Is The Most Ridiculous Prophesy That Has Ever Been Given To You? / Catholic Church Cautions El-Rufai Over Religious Bill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.