Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,940 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:14 AM

Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments (21313 Views)

Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? / Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? / Mike Bamiloye Exposes Church Instrumentalists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by Nobody: 7:44am On Jun 24, 2018
It's wrong.......
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by Rainmaker69(m): 7:45am On Jun 24, 2018
Its not really a question of wrong or right, sin or virtue. It is more an issue of church policy, left to the church to determine for itself.
On the part of the instrumentalist, if s/he plays in churches for a living, then s/he should look for employment in a church that pays instrumentalists. The fact that a person is a professional musician does not automatically entitle him or her to fees in exchange for service, those who make this argument simply want the benefit of a full time job and a part-time church gig. Bottom line is that if the church pays an instrumentalist or any other person, it creates an employee-employer relationship with the church.

1 Like

Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by Akpacha(m): 7:45am On Jun 24, 2018
The church of God is left in d hands of conmen. God save the church.

2 Likes

Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by Akpacha(m): 7:46am On Jun 24, 2018
Okuchris:
If you want to get blessings from the Lord then you shouldn't do it for payment
u are fed fat on pastors lies.
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by Iamzik: 7:46am On Jun 24, 2018
eph12:
For some of them, it's a career and not just volunteering. They paid money to learn how to play those instruments and they have to be available every service day. That's what they use to take care of themselves and their families

And what about the many who didn't pay a dime to learn. They learnt using thesame church instrument and then move on to the next church to charge for playing what they learnt for free.

In all I won't say its good or bad. Depends on the situation but my grouse with instrumentalist is this mentality of wanting to monetize anything they do in church.

Imagine that every choir member start asking for stipend. If there's no one to sing what is the use of instrumentalist? Imagine ushers, technical/sound, multimedia guys also demanding for payment. Where is the desire to serve in this generation?

I am also an instrumentalist and I think people will appreciate you if you do it from your heart without making payment a pre-condition

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by CharleyBright(m): 7:49am On Jun 24, 2018
Is it Right to pay the G.O or the Pastor, if you won't pay the worker?
Are they all not working in the same vineyard?
In a Mega Church engaged in other commercial businesses & where money is flowing in, If you won't pay the Worker, don't pay the Pastor or G.O.
Case closed.

1 Like

Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by TeameeMoses(m): 7:49am On Jun 24, 2018
Bobby4090:
There should be a kind of welfare package for them. If it's not a regular salary, then the pastor in charge must make sure he meets with them regularly and discusses their financial and spiritual welfare too. Because, Not only must they be around on Sundays, they must also be around probably on weekday fellowships and for Choir practice. And in some cases during Marriages, Crusades or any other church activity outside the regular ones. And besides they have to update their skills and learn new songs.
They are skilled workers and have to be paid in one way or the other in other to keep them going on strong and happily. It's like arguing that the church security men should not be paid because they are fellow church members.
You are right there's is a friend of mine that was being given 5k per month not because he's there set drummer, but out of freewill i think because when he left our state he was still being given that gift....
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by Nobody: 7:50am On Jun 24, 2018
Jaynom:
Is it also Right to pay pastors?

Pastorship isn't a profession now.
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by GODWINLOWSKI: 7:51am On Jun 24, 2018
Nothing sweet Nigerian pastors pass OFFERING TIME, BLESSING TIME. cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by Majorkeys(m): 7:52am On Jun 24, 2018
aaronson:
I know some form of capitalist exploitation goes on in those hell holes called churches, How can pastors be getting salary and instrumentalist are meant to render service for free or paid peanuts?

Again I wouldn't blame the churches, the hardest prison to escape is the prison in your mind especially when you in the shackles of religion.
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by kokomaster3d: 7:52am On Jun 24, 2018
Nothing is free in this world. Even the Bible you have to buy it with money. Even salvation is not free, it cost Jesus Christ his life. So they should be paid nah

3 Likes

Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by AkpaMgbor(m): 7:57am On Jun 24, 2018
kunleweb:
Why does the Christian topics on Sunday always focus on discriminating and decisive subjects rather than topics that build up compared with the topics on Islam that reaches that reaches the FP on Fridays.

How about ten reasons why you need God? Five reasons to consider accepting God today?

These pseudo-Christianity topics the mods push on behalf of their father, the devil is centered on sowing discord not to promote God nor Christianity, Nairaland is been moderated by an Anti-Christian interest.

Don't ask me, i'm already in Church !
I've noticed this a long time ago...Every Sunday they will post threads that are irrelevant on the front page for mockers and scorners to have a field day....but the good thing is that the Christian faith has seen mockery s and scorners for over two thousand years and still stands like a solid rock..

1 Like

Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by Mikora: 7:58am On Jun 24, 2018
Okuchris:
Do pastors do their work for free?
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by peterkelechi30(m): 7:59am On Jun 24, 2018
Wetin concern me...I'm a traditional religionist. the gods won't pay you for incantation
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by anukulapo: 8:00am On Jun 24, 2018
Now the argument could be:
If pastors get paid, why shouldn't instrumentalists? As some have argued that that's what they do for a living and some didn't acquire the skill cheaply.

So why ain't those counting monies from offering and tithes being paid too? They are like bank tellers also. It's a profession, accounting skills don't come cheap.

Then the security unit guys also. It's like policing.

Children ministry, educators should even be the highest paid. Some can argue so.

On and on the argument can go.

Why is it a big deal to be a volunteer pastor? Aren't there unpaid pastors? What's the big deal about paying instrumentalists? Why do we have to "fight" for them to be paid and leave the ushers out?

Abeg, Christians should wake up and go and evangelize. All this four walls of so called church administration wahala no be priority of our faith (though if wrongly done, na palava since na there we don "cage" God put).

2 Likes

Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by CharleyBright(m): 8:02am On Jun 24, 2018
GODWINLOWSKI:
The thing tire person sef, even in burials in my side, if you are to invite your church e.g pastor or executive members you'll pay #5000 for pastor's transport, 3 cartons of peak milk, 3 crates of minerals plus malt, 1 cooler of rice, 2 soups egusi and bitterleaf, 50 akpus, one full fried chicken, 1 live chicken. OGA I COME TO BURY CHURCH, I NO BLAME PEOPLE WAY NO DEY GO SEF, CHURCH IS NOW ONITSHA MARKET 2. angry

Laff wan kill me o.
But jokes apart, this is absolutely true.
Recently, when we wanted to bury my father inlaw, the church came up with an obnoxious list of items and cash for them to conduct burial service. The list wasn't funny. As if the church was more interested in eating and causing more hardship on the family rather than easing the pains of the family.
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by Armstrong34(m): 8:04am On Jun 24, 2018
do you know how much it cost to learn music at MUSON center ,Peterkings music school or ten strings...we spend more than 70k for theory, 30k for practicals for a grade ...and there are over 12 grades to pass through bfor you can be called a professional pianist or saxophonist
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by sobastical: 8:05am On Jun 24, 2018
darkmarky:
a sheeple spotted..
Are you still getting upset about tithing? I will help you the more now

I LOVE PAYING TITHE I LOVE PAYING TITHE I LOVE PAYING TITHE I LOVE PAYING TITHE I LOVE PAYING TITHE I LOVE PAYING TITHE I LOVE PAYING TITHE I LOVE PAYING TITHE I LOVE PAYING TITHE

if you reply or mention me I will repeat it the more. .

1 Like

Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by iliyande(m): 8:06am On Jun 24, 2018
NO
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by darkmarky(m): 8:07am On Jun 24, 2018
sobastical:

Are you still getting upset about tithing? I will help you the more now

I LOVE PAYING TITHE
I LOVE PAYING TITHE
I LOVE PAYING TITHE
I LOVE PAYING TITHE
I LOVE PAYING TITHE
I LOVE PAYING TITHE
I LOVE PAYING TITHE
I LOVE PAYING TITHE
I LOVE PAYING TITHE

if you reply or mention me I will repeat it the more. .
oh please continue.. I would love this stupidity to be repeated
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by GODWINLOWSKI: 8:08am On Jun 24, 2018
CharleyBright:

Laff wan kill me o.
But jokes apart, this is absolutely true.
Recently, when we wanted to bury my father inlaw, the church came up with an obnoxious list of items and cash for them to conduct burial service. The list wasn't funny. As if the church was more interested in eating and causing more hardship on the family rather than easing the pains of the family.
No be lie.
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by Fela4ese: 8:09am On Jun 24, 2018
It all depends if he is a member of the church and he is free at that time he should play for free but if he it is a a normal work he should b paid.pastors also get paid I mean some full time pastors in our chur churches
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by Armstrong34(m): 8:10am On Jun 24, 2018
HomeOfMe:
You know when you give some people a yard,they want to take a mile. It's supposed to be service to the God you serve. I discovered that when the church started paying them in my church,they started seeing it as a right and whenever they don't get it they start misbehaving.

do you know how much it cost to learn music at MUSON center ,Peterkings music school or ten strings musical institute...we spend more than 70k for theory, 30k for practicals for a grade ...and there are over 12 grades to pass through bfor you can be called a professional pianist or saxopho

1 Like

Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by DavidEsq(m): 8:11am On Jun 24, 2018
hisgrace090:
If he is a professional, yes.

The bible says a workman deserve his wages.
I think the question is: "is he a workman"? If yes, for whom? God or man?
If u say he is a workman, wouldn't that mean that the house of God has become a place for merchants to ply their trade? If he is a workman, under whose employment is he? If the purpose of doing what he does is to bring praise to God, then wat is the basis of the employer-employee ish? The simple truth is dis: our selfishness and greed has caused us to turn the scriptures upside down. OP, if ur frnd's opinion is skewered, u didn't offer any unskewered opinion, neither did u tell us why his opinion is skewered.
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by DavidEsq(m): 8:12am On Jun 24, 2018
Armstrong34:

do you know how much it cost to learn music at MUSON center ,Peterkings music school or ten strings musical institute...we spend more than 70k for theory, 30k for practicals for a grade ...and there are over 12 grades to pass through bfor you can be called a professional pianist or saxopho
So is it in God's house u wld now ply ur trade?
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by aAK1(m): 8:13am On Jun 24, 2018
dazzlingd:
They are working for God ...labour for God is free, only the pastors are chosen to enjoy the dividends of tithing
you don't read your Bible and it's very clear From your statement.the Levites also had a share according to sciptures
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by oismail(m): 8:15am On Jun 24, 2018
Are they not working?
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by aAK1(m): 8:18am On Jun 24, 2018
anukulapo:
Now the argument could be:
If pastors get paid, why shouldn't instrumentalists? As some have argued that that's what they do for a living and some didn't acquire the skill cheaply.

So why ain't those counting monies from offering and tithes being paid too? They are like bank tellers also. It's a profession, accounting skills don't come cheap.

Then the security unit guys also. It's like policing.

Children ministry, educators should even be the highest paid. Some can argue so.

On and on the argument can go.

Why is it a big deal to be a volunteer pastor? Aren't there unpaid pastors? What's the big deal about paying instrumentalists? Why do we have to "fight" for them to be paid and leave the ushers out?

Abeg, Christians should wake up and go and evangelize. All this four walls of so called church administration wahala no be priority of our faith (though if wrongly done, na palava sincere na there we don "cage" God put).
so you mean in your church you have volunteer security 24/7? And your accountants are not paid to? I wonder how much they are counting
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by yusuf99(m): 8:20am On Jun 24, 2018
Why not! are they not the ones energizing Church goers to pay offering after pastors tricks, why not paying them their due u think pastors are the only ones to shared the goodies in our Church pastor and elders once fought over sharing what they loot from us because the pastor wanted to buy 40m g-wagon for his wife and the elders insisted of taking same amount.
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by AGHAUDEJNR(m): 8:22am On Jun 24, 2018
Gudmn 2 U All... 2 Me I Tink Der Shud Be A Welfare Package... Nd Once In A While D Pastor Shud Raise Money Durin Savice 2 Encourage D Instrumentalists. Dis Will Motivate Dem2 Give Der All Durin Savice Nd Other Church Activities.
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by Pataricatering(f): 8:23am On Jun 24, 2018
Okuchris:
hmmn ! Even if that’s how you make a living ? Church doesn’t pay tax and also collect free labor - no wonder pastors buy jets !
Re: Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments by excel101(m): 8:23am On Jun 24, 2018
It all depends on his level of conviction. If he's jobless then the leaders of his local assembly should assist in securing a job for him, rather than being paid by the church. My personal reason is, if the instrumentalist is being paid, then he has received the reward of his services but if not being paid, it mean that God will be his reward. God said that " i'll not forget your labour of love towards Me " we all know the difference between mans reward and God's reward.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

2019: Mbaka Tells Nigerians To Brace Up For More Difficult Times / Is There Anything Wrong In One Not Going To Church But Believes So Much In God? / I Am A Babalawo - An Exclusive Interview With Prof. Wande Abimbola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.