Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,557 members, 7,837,145 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

Chivalry In The 21st Century, Is It Outdated? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Chivalry In The 21st Century, Is It Outdated? (1292 Views)

Help! I Feel Like A 21st Century Witch / Justifying Sexual Immorality In 21st Century / 10 "Outdated" Flirting Moves You Should Quit Using (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Chivalry In The 21st Century, Is It Outdated? by Ndipe(m): 10:11am On Mar 26, 2007
Novels set in the Victorian ages sometimes deal with respects, displayed by men towards the opposite sex. Back then, you were considered a gentleman, if you curtseyed to the woman. Along that line, you were expected to tip your hat (a a popular fashion accessory then) and women, who were not acquainted with the male subject could not be addressed by their first name. On a cold day during a date, the man (was) expected to lend his coat to the woman, walk on the side of the street, closest to the freeway, and open the door for the woman.

All those were courtesies. I don't know the history of such customs, or what led to the acceptance of it in the dating world. At work, when I broached the subject to the ladies at work, they were miffed by my responses. I told them that such etiquette were ancient and I wont even entertain them at all. They were more appalled at my suggestion that a first date, most likely would be at Macdonalds, or any fast food, with both parties, splitting (equally) the bill. BestBuy would replace the movie theatre as the spot to watch free DVD's. With amusement, I watched as the ladies remarked with disapproval that I wasnt a gentleman and that no American girl would ever accept to go out with me again, after the first experience.

Now, on a serious note, there are women who are demanding equality from men in today's society. Cooking, once considered a traditional role for women, is now spurned by them, because in their explanation, it reeks of slavery. Our role as the head of the family is now in 'jeopardy', as women, with a paycheck above their mate, measure their worth to the amount of money they bring home. I even read a letter sent into Marily Vos Savant, a columnist with Parade Magazine that the idea of females bearing their mother's last name, was practised in their household. Her stance was endorsed by the columnist, who bears her mother's maiden name, to perpetuate the female dynasties line.

If most women, still cling to outdated victorian customs in today's era of independence, shouldnt they also accept the customs of our homeland, like one that has traditionally allocated the duty of cooking as a woman's role in the house?
Re: Chivalry In The 21st Century, Is It Outdated? by iice(f): 2:50pm On Mar 26, 2007
Hmmmm you know women can be confusing to men (and women too!) But i think some women want a blend of the old and new. Gender equality but yet still remain the woman (as in the traditional sense) Example would be being the provider. Some women want to be able to work and earn well without having to go through the talk with the husband that she can remain in the house. Given today's society, they (women) feel that its supposed to be a given that they can work and earn and yet at the same time not be the one to shoulder the cost of living for the family. With regards to cooking, some women know (and still hold on to the belief) that they (women) are supposed to be the ones doing the cooking regardless of today's societal pressures and changes but they (women) would like to have the occassional time off from cooking, would like a lil help from the husband - occassional i said not some regular because they still know/believe that cooking is a woman's work.

It's not common to find a woman to still clings to victorian customs and lives life like a victorian lady. BTW i do think Chivalry is in small doses grin

(1) (Reply)

Who Cheats More Men Or Women / Shattered But Strong However What Would You Do? / Dating: How Long Can You Wait

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.