Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,798 members, 7,820,800 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:57 PM

My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy (38693 Views)

My Wife Behaviour Towards My Family Members/Siblings Is Driving Me Crazy / Advice Needed, My Wife Is Driving Me Crazy / My Mum's Constant Insult Is Driving Me Crazy, It Is Time To Move Out? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by horlahmeey(m): 12:06pm On Jul 25, 2018
Hold your ground and remember not to displease ursef while pleasing others.

1 Like

Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by peacengine(m): 12:15pm On Jul 25, 2018
VULCAN:
Was it on purpose that you ignored what he recounted about the help he has given to his wife and her family so far(knowing that he would have done much more but space will not allow him itemise them all)?

Or your eyes just went straight to a statement he made to his wife which is a normal response to their excessive demands and expectations from him?

Oga that statement carries a lot of weight. Let's say his wife mentions such a thing, will he take it lightly? If my wife should say she has no business pleasing my family then I will understand that she doesn't love me enough and it will bring problem in our marriage. If the guy doesn't go out of his way for his own family, the woman will be very stupid to demand it of him, it's because he does it for his own family that is why she makes the demand bro. If we learn to go into marriage with the opinion that our in-laws have become our family too, it will solve many problems. If my wife doesn't accept and treat my mother like hers, there will be problem, the same thing if I don't accept and treat her family as mine, she will also create her own problem too. This is what the brother is facing today. Maybe his family turn up unannounced and he picks them up so his wife might wanna test him with hers too. Marriage no easy bro
Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by Snow87(m): 12:15pm On Jul 25, 2018
donstan18:
Mr man, you are the one troubling and driving yourself crazy for not being able to know where your problem is coming from.

First; Your wife didn't do anything to warrant a divorce, she didn't cheat, disrespect or commit any abomination. We should sometime view things from different angles before taking actions, you know how difficult it is for a woman to stop her family members from coming close to her husband, she MIGHT not be happy with what they are doing, but in a bid to stop them will have it look like she's pushing them away from you and might create problems. So I ask "HAVE YOU DISCUSSED THIS ISSUE WITH YOUR WIFE?"

The rate of entitlement mentality from wives and their families is something else in Nigeria. Reason why we should be wise and careful before getting married.

Stop running around, discuss this issue with your wife, if she's a good woman, she'll understand you and do whatever it'll take to keep you happy and relaxed by sketching a strategy with you, but if she tries to give attitude about your complaint, then you'll have to go rude and aggressive to let her know what is as stake(Divorce, for her to marry her family members so that you'll have peace).

Discuss with her first.
End of discussion sir. Didn't you read where he stated that his wife join in sending the abusive text message? Divorce is the key, go on Mr op I dey ur back like hunchback.

1 Like

Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by crafteck(m): 12:16pm On Jul 25, 2018
apeleone:
Divorce should not be your next line of action,call your wife to order. She has to choose between building a new family with you or sticking to her biological parents. For your in-law make provision for him to leave over the weekend with a standing order that visitors/family can be welcomed on invitation.

Death should be next line of action abi.. Person wey run go abuja never try the things u listed she?
Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by TDonald: 12:19pm On Jul 25, 2018
Ikpongiton:
bad woman,you want to snatch him from his wife.home breaker .

Weyrey,Do i look like a woman

3 Likes

Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by Snow87(m): 12:20pm On Jul 25, 2018
I advise any man intending to settle down to go and read this book " The manipulated man". After reading u can decide on what to do next. op pls be the man u are, set boundaries and take ur stance.

2 Likes

Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by Pentools(m): 12:21pm On Jul 25, 2018
e7ejinima:

Your wife's family has formed an unhealthy circle around you.

- the young fellow arrives town without informing you, calls for you to come pick him (are you his driver?), you shun him and your wife powers abusive txts (is that how she's brought up? Who's in charge Here!?), she informs his father who then calls you with more abusive language...(what do they take you for - their factory worker or domestic hand?). Your father inlaw has not right calling you when he did not inform you earlier that his child was heading to your station. A lot also depends on how you respond to their stupidity. Be stern and call his bluff.

You should focus on breaking this circle, which they take as the norm because you have allowed certain patterns to be established earlier.

Call your wife first and establish a new family order that accommodates only you two and your children, if any. Declare that you don't want to relate directly with her people, that should be her duty as relating with your own family is your duty.

Finally bare your mind to her that failure to curb the current unhealthy pattern of interference in your family life can hurt your marriage to her.

Abeg, just to complete our knowledge and learning....pls is that your wife from Mbaise or anywhere in Imo State? Cos that's how they behave

Bro, you took the word right off my mouth, jahbless for that...

If the OP wife is Igbo then I can confidently say the she is from Imo state....if she's Yoruba then she must be from Osun or Ondo state.

For the issue at hand, bro run for your life, divorce may not be the best but when the situation turns life threatening is of best u bail out, cus such family can kill you or even harm ur well being, but God forbid that, all to have there way. Na person wey Dey alive Dey enjoy peace ooo! So if u deem divorce best for your peace n life then go for it, inlaws can be deadly especially those that always feel entitled.

1 Like

Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by Justhere: 12:23pm On Jul 25, 2018
sexy74:

I agree with what you said except the bolded ones, the wife is not different from her family members, its a family thing based on the way they are brought up.
In the part of divorce its always a last resort especially when one of the parties does not want to shift grounds and life is under threat. So if he is facing any of this, better he comes out from this alive than die in it.
you are right, the word never is wrongly used there.
Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by Gokoyer0(m): 12:23pm On Jul 25, 2018
Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by MorningStar233: 12:26pm On Jul 25, 2018
Equal2DeTask:
grin angry

Will I still marry?.

Well as your name implies, u r equal to the task. .. tongue

1 Like

Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by mablie(m): 12:28pm On Jul 25, 2018
oruma19:
Go and sit down and stop the noise, u v been a foolish man from inception. its men like u that would have driven their family members away because of ordinary toto. Men who behave like the poster are those stupid spirikoko guys that never dated before they got married, so when they managed to date and see toto they start acting like nothing else matters in life. idiot face ur problem and stop disturbing us because we were not there when u chased ur family members away to please ur wife and her family. Enjoy the useless marriage that u entered. thunder fire u if u post anythin on nairaland again. mtchwwww (Didnt anyone else notice he neva talked about his own family? its becos he chased them away to please his wife...man wey neva see toto before..toto will kill u..lol
grin grin grin
Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by Themandator: 12:33pm On Jul 25, 2018
ImaIma1:

I like men like you...firm and in control.

But please do not be too harsh on her. Know whem to bend and allow

Never harsh to her . It is just that She is too soft and prone to their manipulations. She is the type that wants to solve everybody's problem. I love her and I have never laid hands on her but when it comes to her family, I got to be firm..they made her lie to me once all because she wants to help them

This guy should go to a park ad call that his inlaw to take a Uber or a chartered cab to meet there. Hollla at him there at the park, finish him there in public and put him in a bus back to where ever he came from.
Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by sirr(m): 12:34pm On Jul 25, 2018
Equal2DeTask:
grin angry

Will I still marry?.
I tell u bro... its scary

1 Like

Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by simplesearch: 12:35pm On Jul 25, 2018
Be plain about your intentions as to how you want your home to be govern, make it known to your wife, leave divorce out of this your in-laws not your wife are the root cause of the problem here, you are the head of your home, sit your wife down talk sense into her head, ask her how best she think you can settle her people permanently that will stop them from prying into you family matters. It is obvious you are a lone ranger who cherishes his privacy so much. Tell this to your wife in a very frank but sincere manner that won't make her think you hate her people as we attached too much sentiment to ordinary things in this part of the world/.

1 Like

Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by toprealman: 12:36pm On Jul 25, 2018
joa2013:
My wife and her family members are driving me crazy. Their involvement in my home is becoming embarrassing. I may have to give my wife the red card asap. Her family poke noses into all my affairs. How I spent my money, who I give my money to, who I visit, and so on. All they want is to continue to expend money on them and live my life for them. I got their daughter a job, her salary isn't enough for them, how can I be taking care of able bodied men who have refused to work with their certificates, looking for jobs with good pays before they'll work, their pensioner father is not also helping matters, very difficult to please. I have made it known to my wife that our marriage contract did not include pleasing her family members but she won't listen then I worked my transfer from Lagos to Abuja, yet they're on my neck. My wife's younger brother is presently in Abuja without any clear cut mission other than to come and monitor my affairs. He called me around 7pm yesterday to tell me he's in Utako and that I should come and pick him from pack, I told him I didn't invite him to Abuja so why should I pick him up? I asked him if he didn't have a mission before coming and why he should get to Abuja before notifying me that he's coming to my place. I shunned him and switched off my phone. I switched on the phone now only to read 3 abusive text messages from my wife and one from her father threatening that if anything happens to his son, I'll be held responsible. My people, can you see my life? My pastor have been trying to broker peace between us before I left for Abuja to no avail, what I intended to do is to settle down here and get her relocated so that if she's a bit far from her family, things will work out. I'll instruct a lawyer to file divorce papers tomorrow, I can no longer take it.
If your wife is sending abusive messages, there is surely more to this.

1 Like

Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by M3A16(m): 12:36pm On Jul 25, 2018
Hmmm! I need to admit that you have really tried coping with the excess of your woman's family but filing a divorce case is not the next step. You have firstly taken a very bold and courageous step by trying to cut their wings down and put them where they deserve to be in your positioning arrangement as they themselves have instructed you to by their uncare and callous attitude, call your wife for a severe warning and present to among the choices she has got to pick from and how your plan for future is dependant of her decision. I want you to know that women are tender in nature and kind, help her get out of this miserable situation that if she really wants after you might have exhausted all possible means..

I pity bros.
Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by 9tailskid: 12:36pm On Jul 25, 2018
Equal2DeTask:
grin angry

Will I still marry?.
Equal2DeTask:
grin angry

Will I still marry?.
Equal2DeTask:
grin angry

Will I still marry?.

Bros, i tire oh. Been asking the same question

1 Like

Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by obainojazz(m): 12:39pm On Jul 25, 2018
joa2013:
My wife and her family members are driving me crazy. Their involvement in my home is becoming embarrassing. I may have to give my wife the red card asap. Her family poke noses into all my affairs. How I spent my money, who I give my money to, who I visit, and so on. All they want is to continue to expend money on them and live my life for them. I got their daughter a job, her salary isn't enough for them, how can I be taking care of able bodied men who have refused to work with their certificates, looking for jobs with good pays before they'll work, their pensioner father is not also helping matters, very difficult to please. I have made it known to my wife that our marriage contract did not include pleasing her family members but she won't listen then I worked my transfer from Lagos to Abuja, yet they're on my neck. My wife's younger brother is presently in Abuja without any clear cut mission other than to come and monitor my affairs. He called me around 7pm yesterday to tell me he's in Utako and that I should come and pick him from pack, I told him I didn't invite him to Abuja so why should I pick him up? I asked him if he didn't have a mission before coming and why he should get to Abuja before notifying me that he's coming to my place. I shunned him and switched off my phone. I switched on the phone now only to read 3 abusive text messages from my wife and one from her father threatening that if anything happens to his son, I'll be held responsible. My people, can you see my life? My pastor have been trying to broker peace between us before I left for Abuja to no avail, what I intended to do is to settle down here and get her relocated so that if she's a bit far from her family, things will work out. I'll instruct a lawyer to file divorce papers tomorrow, I can no longer take it.
How come you didn't notice all these things initially
Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by GistFullGround: 12:43pm On Jul 25, 2018
joa2013:

Most women always want their husbands to cater for their family while abandoning his.

My guy, you have overstayed in the marriage.

There is a demon working in your wife's family and it's either they are delivered, or you leave

By the way, if their stress kills you, they will not die for you.

That her father sent you abusive text messages is irresponsible on his part

If I were you, I will send a text t him also

This is why I love Americans, you cannot come to visit uninvited PERIOD

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by Unclesamo(m): 12:47pm On Jul 25, 2018
Maxvasia:
I am surprised no one quoted this horrendous comment of urs. Presumption from the depths of LAWMA thrash! I had to go back to read the post cos wen I read ur comment, it made me wonder if i read it at all at first. Is there any part of the post that suggested he is spending money on other women? U just conveniently remixed the post to suit the modus operandi of ur saliva filled brain. Next time read well or if u cannot read at all, just keep it moving. I am sure u are a female cos no man would show so much abysmal imbecility/lunacy.

Read his other Nairaland posts

3 Likes

Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by Amberon11: 12:49pm On Jul 25, 2018
It is now obvious that Nigerian men are some of the most useless on the planet. You who have been gallivanting around town fvcking married women, taking them to guest houses and meeting many women on Facebook and giving them money are now planning on divorcing your wife over a trivial issue.

You people can't take half of what you give to your wives. Mumu.

2 Likes

Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by Boss13: 12:51pm On Jul 25, 2018
JONNYSPUTE:
This is one of the problems most married men make in their early marriages. Trying to please ur in-laws at all times will only make them see you as a sissy.My in-laws tried that rubbish I walked them out of my house and even banned them from coming unless its something official or a get together like thanksgiving or child dedication. I don't visit them but I call them once in a while just to know how they are faring. My wife is not happy about that but just to let her understand my kind of person I equally asked my people not to visit my home except on special occasions too. Since your wife is supporting them,do not even think of divorcing her,stay put in Abuja,don't even bother contacting her but send money for upkeeps to her account directly and keep the evidence. If her brain didn't reset,forget about her she will be the one that will divorce you and by doing such,she will fall into her own trap. Do not abandon ur kids,always provide for them but I repeat don't you ever visit her or call any of her relatives on phone. They will look for u for peace. Its not going to be easy but be a man. If she is truly ur wife,she will come for you.

The wife may not learn quickly due to bad advice and support from her family. It may take a long while and by then the damage has been done.

OP needs to take his wife and himself for professional counseling not pastor please. So that the counselor can discuss thoroughly the demerits of having and allowing external forces into your home.

Also, people should carry out due diligence before you tie the knot. Marriage is not just love. Infact it is 97% financial stability.
Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by Maxvasia(m): 12:52pm On Jul 25, 2018
Unclesamo:

Read his other Nairaland posts
ok
Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by ImaIma1(f): 12:52pm On Jul 25, 2018
Themandator:

Never harsh to her . It is just that She is too soft and prone to their manipulations. She is the type that wants to solve everybody's problem. I love her and I have never laid hands on her but when it comes to her family, I got to be firm..they made her lie to me once all because she wants to help them

This guy should go to a park ad call that his inlaw to take a Uber or a chartered cab to meet there. Hollla at him there at the park, finish him there in public and put him in a bus back to where ever he came from.

Oh i see. She needs to toughen up.

I don't like family interference of any sort neither does my husband. Besides i am even the last child. So we are on the same page.

I think the OP allowed everything and is now complaining.
Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by baldman: 12:53pm On Jul 25, 2018
I had to sign in because of this comment, particularly as I noticed you said you are new in marriage.

I hope you can just read what I have to say. Your In-Laws should not be referred to in this manner. If this is who you really are, your wife, I am afraid, is married to the wrong man, she just does not know it yet.

I refer to one of your 'manly' comments: 'If tomorrow you decided to change I won't hesitate to give you a divorce' really?

'...my responsibility is to you and my kids alone' are you for real?. The truth is you may have come from a 'liberal' family ( which seems more like a family where your parents raised all of you to be independent and not feel the need to either give back to your parents or provide help when any member is in need) this may not be the case with your wife. Your wife may come from a more normal family where they do not live on allowances from their children but appreciate the occasional help and interventions. But you have made it clear to your wife that you will never be a part of such. Well, you will get as much love from your wife as you are willing to give.... you are not giving much when you are quick to threaten divorce and tell her those who brought her up to become the girl that you married will never matter in the scheme of things in your welfare provisions.

I am glad you plan to take care of your kids. I pray you have a daughter as well, can you imagine your future Son-In-Law maintaining this stance. You do not even have your Father-In-Law's number and you are proud to say that ? Besides, can I safely assume that you have only ever given him 5k because that is what is within your financial capacity or is that still a way of being an Alpha Male?

You also said "You should be happy I am marrying your daughter Naa and taking bills off ur neck.." really Bro? You really should be shaking the hands of your Son-In-Law when he comes to marry your daughter and take bills of your neck. Oga, what goes around comes around.

Your marriage is very young and you are coming in with the wrong mentality. You cannot show love to a woman while hating her family, she will not be fooled and you will not have her complete loyalty. Take charge of your home and take leadership with respect to all relationships, including your relationship with your In-Laws, agree with your wife on what should be done given the resources available and show care in other areas that may not require footing bills. Encourage your wife to work and earn a living ( if she does not have one) so that she can also be a good place to help out without losing sight of who comes first, your family first.

If you keep threatening divorce, becareful as she will over time prepare for it, and when you have done your worse, it will surprise you how well she will move on.... you will see divorce and fear.. its never easy on anyone.

happney65:
Am newly married and my wife cannot tell me nonsense..She just can't. .I still wonder where Nigerian Ladies get this attitude of getting married and expecting the Husband to pull you out of poverty. .urself and your family..As in are you people stupid or something?

I told my wife my responsibility is to you and my Kids alone..If tomorrow you decided to change i won't hesitate to give you a divorce..I don't care and I don't give a damm..Nobody fit kill me..

Luckily for her you are married into a liberal family where my family won't disturb you so why should urs disturb me?Why?

The OP is a mumu and has been taking responsibility for the lady and her family even before they got married..Am sure of that..I see no reason why that should be..

My Father in law Sef I don't have his number..The highest number I gave him till date is 5000naira..

You should be happy I am marrying your daughter Naa and taking bills off ur neck..Some wives will even do it to the extent whereby you won't give ur family anything again just cos you are married to them..

I wonder where you people see these girls.I just wonder where

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by Ovilalastica5(f): 12:53pm On Jul 25, 2018
Equal2DeTask:
grin angry

Will I still marry?.

Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by Emioga: 1:01pm On Jul 25, 2018
O boy na hypocrites full this thread o.To say na woman come here dey talk all this one na you all would have bashed her saying your mum is your world or your family has been their before your wife.smh.well poster no advice from me o cos I'm in the same situation and my husband they stand with his family also even beats and insults me for them.OYO

3 Likes

Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by baldman: 1:01pm On Jul 25, 2018
Great 'advice', what if she did not see the abandonment in that light and she decides to move on making good use of the certificate that the man sponsored her to obtain? I hope you have a perfect woman that has no family arranged for the poster to marry. How can abandonment make people fall in love or reinforce love? Please make separation your very last option, the rate at which women are moving on when a man decides to move out these days will surprise you. Do not leave your marriage if you do not intend to leave for good. You will not find her where you left and if you do, you will not be meeting the woman you left, she will either be broken or hardened.

hope4nigeria:
remember that game on android RUN.
don't divorce her, just run, when your wife brain reset, she will choose who to marry between you and her family. Abandon her for like a year, if she love you for real, she will become normal again and stop involving family in marriage. Most women behaving this way are clean and young women who endup marrying their 1st love, they lack experience about marriage
Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by verygudbadguy(m): 1:05pm On Jul 25, 2018
Rushmore:

You can choose to ignore her,do any other thing but not divorce. And never you switch off your phone to avoid calls from family, it's childish. Be an alpha male! Make a decree and stand on it! You're a lion and not a chicken!
Really! Where r u from? Your comment is the best I have seen here from a female in recent time.

Good sense of judgement you gat.

1 Like

Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by pawesome(m): 1:05pm On Jul 25, 2018
GrammarCheck:

But he is correct.
how? And we keep on wondering why young men keep dying early than the old ones.... That is one of the reasons.... You seem not to know what a peaceful marriage dose to life
Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by PierreAbutu(m): 1:06pm On Jul 25, 2018
Equal2DeTask:
grin angry

Will I still marry?.
With bullshits like dis, I dey reason BABYMAMA my brother
Re: My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy by fattyG: 1:11pm On Jul 25, 2018
joa2013:

@ d poster,
1. Divorce should be your last option
2 Invite ur wife to fct, discuss the issue n call her to order so as to build ur family
3. Dont entertain/welcome an unannounced visitor/guest from both sides.
4. The financial assistance ur parent/brother in laws get from you should reduce.
5. Detach urself from dem gradually; if uve bin calling dem 5times a week, pls reduce it to 2TIMES
6. For her brothers, put dem where they belong. They cant be a pest/liability in ur life

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry / Lockdown Could Lead To 7 Million Unintended Pregnancies - UN / Calabar Lady Loses 2 Kids In Fire Outbreak After Sneaking Out To Meet Boyfriend.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.