Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,595 members, 7,816,476 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:43 AM

Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 (25974 Views)

FG To Abolish Petrol Subsidy Before May 29, Attributes Delay To Election, Census / Tinubu Promises To Abolish Parallel FOREX Market (Video) / BBNaija: CLO Tells Buhari To Abolish Big Brother Naija Reality TV Show (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Cyrus176(m): 11:58am On Jul 27, 2018
ITbomb:
It is evident that this guy does not even understand what he is doing
Don't mind him....after abolishing the Senate then what will Nigeria practice.
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by aribisala0(m): 12:00pm On Jul 27, 2018
Ioannes:

Well, I'm an architect and I know that before you start building on site, you have to first make the design "sweet on paper". smiley

I know that in-between those points there are other preparations to make, like finding a very very good Attorney general, putting together a very good set of ambitious, talented and intelligent young lawyers who will win cases for you.

But like I said, it's mostly a done deal once you've cleaned out the judiciary and put your judges there.

Nigerian presidency is probably one of the most powerful institution in a Democratic setting in the world. I'm not sure the POTUS has as much power in the US as Buhari has in Nigeria.
Nigeria is a complex place with complex interests local and international. He has to stay alive to see it through
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Onyenna(m): 12:06pm On Jul 27, 2018
Truths22:
Dude's on codeine

Confirm!...

Dude dey Codeine die!!
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by karlboss: 12:08pm On Jul 27, 2018
sowore2019:
It is a high time Nigerians free themselves from mental slavery, nothing is impossible. A lot of people here obviously do not know the kind of support the Takeitback movement currently has, 2019 will be a shocker for many.

If sowore can do this, he has saved this country from one of the biggest fraud backed up by law. The money the national Assembly is consuming is too much. This is what we need to hear what each presidential aspirant will do differently. I don't know you sowore but God bless you for this thought

Let me digress
Some people on nairaland calling this man names for this brilliant idea. Truly Nigeria is doomed

3 Likes

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jul 27, 2018
Adebowale89:
if he says house of reps I could have applaud him but eradicating senates in a Democratic system? I wonder the kind of system of govt he wanted to practice because executive and judiciary doesn't exist on their own in a Democratic system without the legislative

Wow.

Now I think I understand.

Most Nigerians don't even know what the 3 arms of government are.

So you think the Senate is the legislative and the House of rep is the judiciary?

Well, we all are here to learn.

The Senate + the House of Representatives = Legislature

The Judiciary are the judges and the lawyers and this group should also include the police as the law ENFORCERS.

So having two groups in the legislature duplicating a function is ineffective.

Nigeria can do well with just the House of Representatives alone and on part time.

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by mbjsuki(m): 12:11pm On Jul 27, 2018
As senseless as he may sound, he has a point! Take away those rogues and certified thieves who truly in the actual sense of it are conduit pipes to drain the hard earned resources of this country. This country will be saving billions daily! But they are just necessary evil that we must live with hence I suggested a time ago that democracy style of government may not be the best form of government for Nigeria,it a waste of resources.
Meanwhile some of these Senators are clueless,some owing huge debts to one bank to another financial institution yet as a senator they have not failed to pay up. Some don't even have any source of livelihood until they assume the office of a senator!
So what is the use of these set of people? They are there for their own benefit alone nothing else.

2 Likes

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jul 27, 2018
aribisala0:
Nigeria is a complex place with complex interests local and international. He has to stay alive to see it through

Have you ever attempted to read the history of America?

Nigeria isn't even half as complex as the United States.

If you are saying "stay alive" as the Nigerian President, then I'll say that it's nearly impossible to assassinate a sitting Nigerian President.

I know, nothing is impossible but note my use of the word NEARLY impossible.

The trick with carrying out such a thorough reform is the use of the element of surprise.

Let it be like a swift tsunami that will sweep all of them into the gallows even before they can blink their eyes.

It can only work if there's the element of surprise and convictions are quick otherwise the Senate will try to impeach you.

So, like I said, it's a game of chess.

Read my earlier post. I mentioned that investigations into each senator's corrupt past should be done quietly. And then they should be hurled IN RAPID SUCCESSION before the law courts and jailed.

That's the plan that will work.

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by aribisala0(m): 12:18pm On Jul 27, 2018
Ioannes:

Wow.

So you think the Senate is the legislative and the House of rep is the judiciary?

The Judiciary are the judges and the lawyers and this group should also include the police as the law ENFORCERS.

Nigeria can do well with just the House of Representatives alone and on part time.

What do you mean by "part-time" why is that so important
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Adebowale89(m): 12:21pm On Jul 27, 2018
Ioannes:

Wow.

are you this dumb? pls read comprehensively before jumping like a loose dog on my post

Now lemme break to your kindergarten level

I have been an advocate of eradicating house of reps in the legislature to reduce the huge some of cash we wasted on politics hence senates must stand firm

but for sowore to promise to eradicate national assembly is senseless because what would then be of Democratic system when executive and judiciary is the only branches that existed in Nigeria that's operating democracy

try to read diligently next time before quoting me. you can't use me to learn words OK?

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by BlackBaron: 12:29pm On Jul 27, 2018
aribisala0:

Fair enough, I don't think the average Nigerian understands ideologies right now. It would have been easier if there was a political party campaigning for an objective like this. The parties available are either too greedy or would definitely sabotage the process as they would largely see it as some of their members losing their posts. The smaller parties may be able to do that but they would largely have to not field candidates for the senate. They might also require funding on a scale greater than these established parties. If only this cause was started months or years ago, it'll have been easier to have a conceivable crowd of supporters for this. I think also, might be best for political parties to start getting funding from donations rather than unknown sources.

Alternatively, the use of power is the ONLY viable option but then its inevitable that as we know, The Armed forces are not loyal to the constitution but to the different power blocs or interests who put them there. Sowore for all I can see is highly emotive and unless he can prove me wrong to have a way round this, its a dangerous manoeuvre.

The blame is on the dickhead in the first place who inserted this duplicacy in government.

By the way, for the NIGERIANS Here, unless you are not well read. There is the SENATE and The House OF LEGISLATIVES. They are in effect doing the same jobs and a collosal waste of money. One has to go is all they're saying

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jul 27, 2018
aribisala0:

What do you mean by "part-time" why is that so important

First, to be a member of the House of Representatives you must be gainfully employed. More preferably, an employer of labour.

Second, as an MHR, you will be placed on stipend that will be tied to the percentage of the minimum wage of your country. So if your stipend is increased, the minimum wage will be increased automatically.

Third, you get paid only when you sit. When you sit it means you have legislative matters to attend to. In other words, you don't occupy space in Abuja just because you are an MHR.

Imagine a situation where your Rep lives and works among his people. He actually knows their pains and struggles. He plies the same road they ply. He's accessible and doesn't go around with convoy.

He attends town hall meetings and he actually goes to Abuja to tell them what we want him to tell them.

That is the definition of a true representative.

Cutting down their emoluments as part time Legislature will guarantee that only people who want to serve will come on board. It won't be a do or die affair.

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by aribisala0(m): 12:33pm On Jul 27, 2018
Ioannes:

Have you ever attempted to read the history of America?

Nigeria isn't even half as complex as the United States.

If you are saying "stay alive" as the Nigerian President, then I'll say that it's nearly impossible to assassinate a sitting Nigerian President.

The trick with carrying out such a thorough reform is the use of the element of surprise.

Let it be like a swift tsunami that will sweep all of them into the gallows even before they can blink their eyes.

It can only work if there's the element of surprise and convictions are quick otherwise the Senate will try to impeach you.

So, like I said, it's a game of chess.

Read my earlier post. I mentioned that investigations into each senator's corrupt past should be done quietly. And then they should be hurled IN RAPID SUCCESSION before the law courts and jailed.

That's the plan that will work.
I do not see the relevance of how coomplex America is to anything we are talking about here.
The complexity I was talking about includes the fact that in addition to our own home grown complexity there is the "imported" interest of countries like the US ,China and other major powers.

Which is more complex between the US and Nigeria ? That we can resolve when we have a working definition of what complexity means.

I do not know what you mean by Next to impossible . Those are empty words without any basis.
Ahmadu Bello and Tafawa Balewas were murdered

Murtala Muhammed was assasinated.

Most Nigerians believe Abacha was assasinated.

Who is to say the US through the CIA cannot kill a president.

The CIA do not have to be white folk or Americans they could be anyone.

A president who gets medical care abroad is VERY EASY to assasinate.
A president who goes to open mosques and takes impromptu photos with Naomi Campbell would be too easy do not forget we are in the era of suicide bombings
I am old enough to remember the assasination of Indira Gandhi by one of her own bodyguards.
I also remember the killing of the former president of Rwanda whose plane was show down.
I also remember Sankara's death

The question is not whether a Nigerian President can be assasinated but who wants to kill him and whether it is made to look like Natural death or an assasination. Do not forget that only recently we heard of mechanical problems with Osinbajo's aircraft.

Once the cntrollers of this planet decide your time is up you need very strong backers to survive
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jul 27, 2018
aribisala0:

I do not see the relevance of how coomplex America is to anything we are talking about here.
The complexity I was talking about includes the fact that in addition to our own home grown complexity there is the "imported" interest of countries like the US ,China and other major powers.

Which is more complex between the US and Nigeria ? That we can resolve when we have a working definition of what complexity means.

I do not know what you mean by Next to impossible . Those are empty words without any basis.
Ahmadu Bello and Tafawa Balewas were murdered

Murtala Muhammed was assasinated.

Most Nigerians believe Abacha was assasinated.

Who is to say the US through the CIA cannot kill a president.

The CIA do not have to be white folk or Americans they could be anyone.

A president who gets medical care abroad is VERY EASY to assasinate.
A president who goes to open mosques and takes impromptu photos with Naomi Campbell would be too easy do not forget we are in the era of suicide bombings
I am old enough to remember the assasination of Indira Gandhi by one of her own bodyguards.
I also remember the killing of the former president of Rwanda whose plane was show down.
I also remember Sankara's death

The question is not whether a Nigerian President can be assasinated but who wants to kill him and whether it is made to look like Natural death or an assasination. Do not forget that only recently we heard of mechanical problems with Osinbajo's aircraft.

Once the cntrollers of this planet decide your time is up you need very strong backers to survive

Look, first I don't want us to go into the realm of conspiracy theories. You and I have no definite proof and i mean, no definite proof that there's a group somewhere controlling this planet as you've just asserted. Don't let's go there. YouTube allegations are mostly to sell cyberspace.

Now, if it were so easy to kill off Presidents of other countries just like that why is Mugabe still alive and other sit tight presidents in Africa. How about that idiot in the Philippines?

You think America hasn't learned it's lessons from Libya? Gaddafi though a tyrant kept Libya in place. He died and now we have terrorists and weapons finding their way across international borders. Some into Nigeria to fuel Boko Haram and the herdsmen.

If Nigeria sinks into chaos what do you think is going to happen?

But all these aren't even in contention.

Please read my post properly.

I said for such a thing to take place it has to be executed very swiftly. He doesn't have to fear assassination. All he has to fear is impeachment. That's all.

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by AroleOduduwa(m): 12:48pm On Jul 27, 2018
mctowel01:

Can you please share whlith us what your proposed "better" to the current system is, and why haven't you come forward to contest for a change?
To practice democracy we need the senate, to practice autocracy we don’t need them, the choice is yours, now choose, but wisely.
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by BlackBaron: 12:53pm On Jul 27, 2018
Ioannes:

I said for such a thing to take place it has to be executed very swiftly. He doesn't have to fear assassination. All he has to fear is impeachment. That's all.
Away from foreign assassination conspiracies which I don't subscribe to. There is still the interests and power blocs within our society. How many times do law enforcement get ordered to carry out unconstitutional roles as directed by another influential person? If a police man can be ordered to supervise fraud vote counting, best believe it is not impossible for them to be ordered to do any illegality without batting an eyelid. It'll only take convincing with or without inducement from a bigwig, in or away from the corridors of power but in close proximity to his minions who he can conveniently use to usurp any reforms.
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by aribisala0(m): 12:57pm On Jul 27, 2018
Ioannes:

Look, first I don't want us to go into the realm of conspiracy theories. You and I have no definite proof and i mean, no definite proof that there's a group somewhere controlling this planet as you've just asserted. Don't let's go there. YouTube allegations are mostly to sell cyberspace.

Now, if it were so easy to kill off Presidents of other countries just like that why is Mugabe still alive and other sit tight presidents in Africa. How about that idiot in the Philippines?

You think America hasn't learned it's lessons from Libya? Gaddafi though a tyrant kept Libya in place. He died and now we have terrorists and weapons finding their way across international borders. Some into Nigeria to fuel Boko Haram and the herdsmen.

If Nigeria sinks into chaos what do you think is going to happen?

Well if you did not want to go into consprripary theories you should have left well alone.

You said no Nigerian leader can be assasinated. I told you of 4 that were

It is an established FACT that the US intelligence were aware of Babangida's coup bt diid not disclose this.

My point was a simple one. Any leader seeking to subvert the constitution in Nigeria risks being killed. You are the one who needs to read properly.

America has not learnt any lessons. That is nonsense.

They are increasing their military presence in Africa ; In Niger and some of our other neighbours.That is not evidence of learning lessons.
There are businesses that need the US to fight wars regularly

There is no logic in the question that if it was that easy to kill heads of state why mugabe was not killed?
First no one said it was easy second the reason for the killing is not because they are sitting tight. But a threat to the interests .Like I said it is complex. The fact thaat the US wants a person killed does not mean they will succeed but often they do .That was the context of my remarks. So you really are the one deciding to major in minors.That was never the main issue for me but the idea that killing a Nigerian president is next to impossible for major world powers is nonsense
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jul 27, 2018
BlackBaron:
Away from foreign assassination conspiracies which I don't subscribe to. There is still the interests and power blocs within our society. How many times do law enforcement get ordered to carry out unconstitutional roles as directed by another influential person? On a larger scale, it'll only take convincing from a bigwig in or away from the corridors of power but in close proximity to minions who he can conveniently use to usurp any reforms.

Bigwig?

It can't get any bigger than the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria who also doubles as the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

He's got literarily everybody in his pocket.

Who, I repeat, who DARES to countermand or disobey the express commands and orders of the President of Nigeria?

He is the biggest wig in Nigeria's social and political life. That's the simple truth. That's why people will kill to get to that number one spot.

That's why no Nigerian President ever not even the weak willed Jonathan Goodluck, has ever had a godfather. He IS the ultimate godfather.
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jul 27, 2018
TimFisher2:
grin

This guy don't have sense...i swear

Are you sure he attended school?

for a smooth running of government,where democracy is not hindered..there must be checks and balances

I think we need to check his certificate to be sure he graduated..the dude doesn't know the function of the senate...or he wants to became a dictator himself....
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by aribisala0(m): 1:07pm On Jul 27, 2018
Ioannes:

First, to be a member of the House of Representatives you must be gainfully employed. More preferably, an employer of labour.

Second, as an MHR, you will be placed on stipend that will be tied to the percentage of the minimum wage of your country. So if your stipend is increased, the minimum wage will be increased automatically.

Third, you get paid only when you sit. When you sit it means you have legislative matters to attend to. In other words, you don't occupy space in Abuja just because you are an MHR.

Imagine a situation where your Rep lives and works among his people. He actually knows their pains and struggles. He plies the same road they ply. He's accessible and doesn't go around with convoy.

He attends town hall meetings and he actually goes to Abuja to tell them what we want him to tell them.

That is the definition of a true representative.

Cutting down their emoluments as part time Legislature will guarantee that only people who want to serve will come on board. It won't be a do or die affair.
You have not answered clearly what "part-time " means
You have not answered why the job cannot be done full time and the fundmental issue is the concept of what "the job" actually is and how many hours a week it takes or should take

Your ideas are interesting and elitist not to mention antidemocratic.

Evrery Nigerian including the unemployed must be eligible to represent his people.
The function is not just legislative but oversight as well.

If cost is the issue do you have an idea of the relative cost of all the Miinisters?
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO RUN ASO ROCK
I remember billions spent on a "hospital" and quite a lot on food. It will not surprise me if Aso Rock costs more than the National Assembly
How much does it cost to maintain the Presidential Fleet

How much does it cost to maintain the IG of police?
We need to focus on the cost of governance ALL arms not just the legislature.

The part-time thing is a distraction and not really necessary.
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by QualityHealthCa: 1:09pm On Jul 27, 2018
sowore2019:
A Presidential aspirant championing for Take it back, Omoyele Sowore, (Sai Bobo) on Thursday in Kano, said if he emerges victorious, he will abolish the Senate, which he described as a drain pipe of the nations’ economy.
Sowore, who is the Publisher of Sahara Reporters told reporters in Kano that the current Senate is composed of a bunch of old retired top Civil servants, who after retirement head to the Senate, as a conduit pipe to siphon the nation’s resources, at the detriment of the downtrodden.

Based on research, he noted that the Federal Government spends a whopping N1 trillion yearly, as salaries and emolument to Senators, including constituency allowances, pointing out that this huge amount should have been channeled to Agriculture Education, which would at the long run benefit a larger chunk of Nigerians.

Also, he argued that the current Presidential system of government is capital intensive, promising that, if elected, come 2019, he would opt for a Unicameral Legislature, whereby the lawmakers would serve on part time basis, so as to conserve more funds that would be channeled to other critical areas for development.
My era, as President, if elected, he said would be a departure from others, as he would ensure the fulfillment of election promises, made during electioneering campaign, so as to defend his integrity by marching his words, with action, as well as what is practicable to fulfill, rather than deceiving the masses in broad day light.

However, he regretted that the numerous zoning system applied in the polity has repeatedly failed us, describing it as a lazy man’s approach to politics, which must be jettisoned, so as to elect credible, trusted and result-oriented leaders, who would not offer untenable excuses as reasons for non-performance.

”We have rotated power, based on religion, ethnicity, and region, which has failed us. Therefore, leaders, who are based in the North do not have the interest of Northerners at heart, likewise the South West and South East, therefore, what we are looking for in Nigeria is a leader, who have the interest of the masses at heart, irrespective of where he comes from.”

https://primetimenewsng.com/2018/07/26/sowore-pledge-to-abolish-the-senate-if-elected-president-in-2019/

Political kamikaze...

How will you abolish the Senate Do you plan running a democracy or demons crazy?
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by BlackBaron: 1:10pm On Jul 27, 2018
Ioannes:

Bigwig?

It can't get any bigger than the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria who also doubles as the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

He's got literarily everybody in his pocket.

Who, I repeat, who DARES to countermand or disobey the express commands and orders of the President of Nigeria?

He is the biggest wig in Nigeria's social and political life. That's the simple truth. That's why people will kill to get to that number one spot.

That's why no Nigerian President ever not even the weak willed Jonathan Goodluck, has ever had a godfather. He IS the ultimate godfather.
Previous coups were done by power blocs and interests even with the Prime Position. I repeat this country has a dearth of professionalism amongst those in law enforcement. They would switch coats quite easily. If the aggrieved senators or parties for example bandied together and could reach to a more susceptible commander in charge of a brigade or division to remove a stumbling block and they promised him COD role, would he do it or not if he he was susceptible.
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by aribisala0(m): 1:10pm On Jul 27, 2018
1StopRudeness:

I think we need to check his certificate to be sure he graduated..the dude doesn't know the function of the senate...or he wants to became a dictator himself....
What is the difference between the function of the senate and the House of Reps

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jul 27, 2018
aribisala0:

Well if you did not want to go into consprripary theories you should have left well alone.

You said no Nigerian leader can be assasinated. I told you of 4 that were

It is an established FACT that the US intelligence were aware of Babangida's coup bt diid not disclose this.

My point was a simple one. Any leader seeking to subvert the constitution in Nigeria risks being killed. You are the one who needs to read properly.

America has not learnt any lessons. That is nonsense.

They are increasing their military presence in Africa ; In Niger and some of our other neighbours.That is not evidence of learning lessons.
There are businesses that need the US to fight wars regularly

There is no logic in the question that if it was that easy to kill heads of state why mugabe was not killed?
First no one said it was easy second the reason for the killing is not because they are sitting tight. But a threat to the interests .Like I said it is complex. The fact thaat the US wants a person killed does not mean they will succeed but often they do .That was the context of my remarks. So you really are the one deciding to major in minors.That was never the main issue for me but the idea that killing a Nigerian president is next to impossible for major world powers is nonsense

Ok. Now I think you're just arguing for argument's sake.

I didn't exactly come online to WIN an argument. This is an excerpt from my original post.

I'd rather stick with the matters on ground.

If all future Nigerian presidents were to be scared of doing good and transforming their country because "America will assassinate them", then that's kinda wacked.

You mentioned assassinations when Nigeria was still in the grip of military dictatorship rule. How many Nigerian presidents have been killed since 1999?

Anyway, you are entitled to your views.

We need someone who will do right by us in Nigeria and not a scaredy cat who will pee his pants when he hears Trump speaking.

A Nigerian President shouldn't be afraid to die for his country.

Look at the antecedents of Sowore again and tell me if he's the kind of person who is afraid to die for what he believes in.

That's the point.

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by KingLennon(m): 1:13pm On Jul 27, 2018
McCobble:
uni(1) and bi(2), hope u understand my point?
I get you but do u think its gonna be easy?
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jul 27, 2018
BlackBaron:

Previous coups were done by power blocs and interests even with the Prime Position. I repeat this country has a dearth of professionalism amongst those in law enforcement. They would switch coats quite easily. If the aggrieved senators or parties for example bandied together and could reach to a more susceptible commander in charge of a brigade or division to remove a stumbling block and they promised him COD role, would he do it or not if he he was susceptible.

What are you even talking about bro?

Have you had a stint with the Nigerian military, cos I have.

In today's world military coups have become very old fashioned.

There's no point seizing power and then every other country in the world shuns you. Nobody will beg you to give back that power when you see your country sinking.

If the IG of Police instructs all police orderlies of the senators to withdraw and return to barracks or station, what do you think will happen?

If the president instructs the IG to give that instruction, what do you think will happen?

The Senate is only as powerful as the president when they have formed a quorum and only in conjunction with the HoR.

Individually, they are very very vulnerable.

Then President is an institution on his own in case you don't know.

By the way, nobody can promise anybody the role of IG or Chief of Defence or any other such role except the president. So forget senators.
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by hush15: 1:21pm On Jul 27, 2018
Kingosytex:
In the words of falz "weh done sir" but the truth is that you can never be elected the president come 2019. the almajiris in the north will prefer their senseless, purposeless and planless terrorist who has only rewarded nigerians with misfortune.

Even more is how can he achieve it. While its a laudible suggestion, the executives can not appropriate all powers to themselves else there will be tyrannical tendencies. All over the world, there must be a way to check the executives and often times, its the legislation. What then will replace the legislation when he kicks the senators out.

Even the parliamentary has upper and lower chambers

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Glink2018(m): 1:27pm On Jul 27, 2018
Luukasz:
While you are on heroine
undecided

Back to the topic I still don't understand why some people like wasting their time and resources contesting for Presidential or Governorsip office when whoever will win is either from APC or PDP

This is a clear indication to the fact that you are naive in what is happening in Nigeria political space. .
You don't need to comment , just keep listening...

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by aribisala0(m): 1:27pm On Jul 27, 2018
Ioannes:

Ok. Now I think you're just arguing for argument's sake.

I didn't exactly come online to WIN an argument. This is an excerpt from my original post.

I'd rather stick with the matters on ground.

If all future Nigerian presidents were to be scared of doing good and transforming their country because "America will assassinate them", then that's kinda wacked.

You mentioned assassinations when Nigeria was still in the grip of military dictatorship rule. How many Nigerian presidents have been killed since 1999?

Anyway, you are entitled to your views.

We need someone who will do right by us in Nigeria and not a scaredy cat who will pee his pants when he hears Trump speaking.

A Nigerian President shouldn't be afraid to die for his country.

Look at the antecedents of Sowore again and tell me if he's the kind of person who is afraid to die for what he believes in.

That's the point.
We do not agree.That is evident

To say I am arguing for argument sake is foolish.
I stated my opinion. You are the one that disagreed. If I was not "arguing for agument sake" then I would agree with you and keep quiet?

I will not say you are arguing for argument sake rather that you have a different opinion. If you do not have the capacity to advance your position and have to resort to nonsense like the above claim then that is your problem

I never at any point said Sowore was going to be killed. So whether he is afraid of dying is irrelevant .

My point is there is a "risk" that ANY Nigerian president who assumes extraaconstitutional powers could be killed. Now what you would like is to dismiss that and have your worldview prevail by saying killing a Nigerian president is next to impossible without any substantiation. It will not happen.

You now say I was talking of military era assassinations

Was Balewa or Bello killed in a military era.

You say ; "how many presidents have been killed since 1999" ? How many have suspended the Senate since 1999?

Maybe we would have seen such a killing if Obasanjo had succeeded with his third term agenda who knows.

That is what I believe which is different from what you believe. I do not seek to change your mind and indeed respect your opinion and right to disagree.

So reciprocate and do not come at me with nonsense like I am "arguing for the sake of arguing". The only argument is when you see to impose your view. Just accept that we see things differently and focus on the main issue.
My point is that any president who wishes to do the extraconstituutional must take extra care to avoid the risk of assasination and you wish to rubbish the idea. Then you start whining you did not come here to win an argument. How crazy is that?
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by earnvest: 1:31pm On Jul 27, 2018
Gaddafithe2nd:
I think he has a point. If he wants to abolish the senate and adopt Unicameral parliament, he must push for a referendum just like they did in Mauritania, but would these thieves in the red chamber allow that? That is the question Sowore needs to answer.

This is what he has been saying in his interviews. We already have one representative per local government area and that should be enough for us right now.
We have ex governors who see the senate as their retirement home. More than half of the year they are on paid vacation and the other half, they spend in the house praising themselves.

To put things in perspective, a hardworking civil servant who earns #50,000.00 a month has to work for 22 years and 6 months to earn what a Nigerian senator takes home in allowances in a MONTH (#13,500,000.00).

If this doesn't bother Nigerians, well we get the leaders we deserve.

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by nextstep(m): 1:32pm On Jul 27, 2018
Dead on Arrival. The only way it can happen is to change the Constitution with a motion that passes both the Senate, House, and ratified by most states. Good luck having Senators vote themselves out of existence. He should concentrate on realistic promises, and the only singular one I want to hear is how he's going to tackle power. Fix power, and everything else (industry in particular) would fall into place.
In addition, if he can arrest the security situation and stop our penchant for randomly changing economic policy, we would grow.

What the country needs is gainful employment, which can only be achieved when our teeming masses make the things we consume. This would in turn increase government's tax revenue, of which Senators' share becomes a smaller section.

I know the NASS pays themselves way too much, but that's not within his power to unilaterally change, so he should concentrate on where he can make meaningful impact.
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by earnvest: 1:34pm On Jul 27, 2018
Chinapepe:

Don't feel disappointed bro, it's the wish of many including me to change d country's legislative arm to uni-camera legislature though, but d truth must be told, I don't see how he's going to 'remove' the Senate under a democratic govt. Except if d nation's constitution is amended outrightly(d country is restructured). Although, I like d man, but he hasn't explained to us d magic he would perform in achieving d feat.

He has never talked about vetoing it, I know because I've seen his interviews (available on YouTube by the way).
He's always maintained that he'll push for a referendum, as part of his restructuring agenda.

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by aribisala0(m): 1:35pm On Jul 27, 2018
nextstep:
Dead on Arrival. The only way it can happen is to change the Constitution with a motion that passes both the Senate, House, and ratified by most states. Good luck having Senators vote themselves out of existence. He should concentrate on realistic promises, and the only singular one I want to hear is how he's going to tackle power. Fix power, and everything else (industry in particular) would fall into place.
In addition, if he can arrest the security situation and stop our penchant for randomly changing economic policy, we would grow.

What the country needs is gainful employment, which can only be achieved when our teeming masses make the things we consume. This would in turn increase government's tax revenue, of which Senators' share becomes a smaller section.

I know the NASS pays themselves way too much, but that's not within his power to unilaterally change, so he should concentrate on where he can make meaningful impact.
Or abrogate the constitution. There is more than ONLY ONE WAY.
How dd the constitution come into being.??

The Nigerian constitution is : Decree 24 of 1999

So we can always have Decree 25 of 2019

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

LASG Launches 1,000-hectares Modern Satellite City In Epe (pictures) / Water Scarcity Hits Jonathan’s Otuoke / Governor Adeleke Campaigns For PDP In Iragbiji (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.