Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,224 members, 7,822,148 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:21 AM

Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 (26006 Views)

FG To Abolish Petrol Subsidy Before May 29, Attributes Delay To Election, Census / Tinubu Promises To Abolish Parallel FOREX Market (Video) / BBNaija: CLO Tells Buhari To Abolish Big Brother Naija Reality TV Show (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by shegzhkn: 3:40pm On Jul 27, 2018
Ioannes:

No he cannot. And no nation will back you to undertake such.

you think so , a situation where wolves and bear decide for a country like Nigeria, walai even the symbol of democracy will back you I mean the United States.

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by earnvest: 3:46pm On Jul 27, 2018
Ndkings1:
I like your spirit... But it won't work

If you don't shoot, you don't score.
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by predatorX: 3:47pm On Jul 27, 2018
When he starts talking like this i begin to see Yahoo boi tendencies in him. He may be worse than Saraki and the forty thieves

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by felaismyhero(m): 3:49pm On Jul 27, 2018
Ingocof:
oh boy, I like your intention but keep it to yourself for now, the looters will soon be out to eat you raw
eat him raw? do they have his time? is he a threat to them?if he comes third in this coming election,i swear he tried.he cant even win lagos state despite its number of learned people.if he is serious,he should start from senate or federal honourable.he can never win the election.
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by NASTYNASOSO: 3:59pm On Jul 27, 2018
RuthlessLeader:

Look at this pathetic idiot. I said what people think almajiri means in the south and you turned it to insult. I don'the blame you. You are a typical nigerian. A hate filled being who wants to insult for every little thing.

HMMMMMMM

YES I AM A NIGERIAN
YOU MUST BE FROM CHAD
WHO CARES ALMAJIRI MEANS SCHOLAR.
YOUR NAME CAN BE CHANGED TO STUPID SURNAME BASTARD IN THE SOUTH ITS YOUR SOUTHERN BUSINESS, NO SHAKIN
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Skmoda360(m): 4:27pm On Jul 27, 2018
Ziggylady:

Omoyele Sowore the clown...keep up with the circus you call 'Presidential Ambition,only sophisticated morons are deceived.
You wanna start what you cannot finish.....bigot lasan lasan....
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jul 27, 2018
shegzhkn:

you think so , a situation where wolves and bear decide for a country like Nigeria, walai even the symbol of democracy will back you I mean the United States.

What you are suggesting is that a Democratically elected president should transform into an emperor and suspend the Constitution and all democratic institutions in the country.

Well, it's possible, but the US will never support you. At least not at first.

Most nations and probably the US will sanction you. We saw that happen during the Abacha era when Nigeria became a pariah nation. A leper that nobody wanted to touch.

If you weren't born then I can assure you that things were very very tough for Nigerians.

Anybody that wants to toe this line must make sure that he's got a plan to get the country functioning without the help of other nations.

After a few years and your country makes good progress and the people are content and happy, then the outside world will open its arms to you and accept your form of government.
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by IgweBUIKE1(m): 4:37pm On Jul 27, 2018
MakeNigeriaGrea:

You having this thought will not make how nation progress because you won't believe someone who meat well for this nation. I am sure you will still collect #5,000.
no bro I live in the real world not some Fantasy Island
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Northernkid: 4:39pm On Jul 27, 2018
This guy is just trying to be famous by all means.jst go and continue your investigative journalism.shikenan
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by nextstep(m): 4:46pm On Jul 27, 2018
earnvest:

You and Sowore are actually saying the same thing: if you have a national assembly that is unbalanced, it means their decisions will always be unbalanced. What then do you need them for?

You might as well call for a referendum to abolish the national assembly and stick with just the senate (and pray they make decisions in our favor).

OK let's be clear: National Assembly is made up of two units: House of Representatives, and the Senate, and both have to cooperate for laws to be passed.

He is saying he wants a unicameral legislature - and from the looks of things, only the House of Reps, while abolishing the Senate.

I'm saying we want both: in the House, larger states carry more weight; in the Senate, smaller states carry more weight disproportionate to their population (each state gets the same 3 senators - Abuja gets 1 - regardless of population). That's the balance. Otherwise, the people in the larger states would always have their way, which is not fair to smaller states. If we kept only the Senate, then you get into a situation where each vote from a smaller state carries more weight than each vote from a larger state.

Hence you need both Houses and ultimately the bills passed can be adjudged be be fair to all states. But all this is moot - we're ignoring the basic fact that the Senate would not agree to dissolve itself - a non-starter.

Instead of promising what cannot be delivered, he should instead focus on what we need: constant and surplus power generation & distribution, with policies to stimulate economic growth. His comments on this is already bringing me to question his seriousness. This is not a serious discussion and is only made to whip up anger and sentiment for votes, moreso because any rational person can see that it can't happen, under the Constitution as it stands.

The President has no power to change clause 47: "There shall be a National Assembly for the Federation which shall consist of a Senate and a House of Representatives." so why even bring it up as a campaign promise?
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Ingocof(m): 4:59pm On Jul 27, 2018
felaismyhero:
eat him raw? do they have his time? is he a threat to them?if he comes third in this coming election,i swear he tried.he cant even win lagos state despite its number of learned people.if he is serious,he should start from senate or federal honourable.he can never win the election.

his reasons are why he won't be considered
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by MrALIVE: 5:22pm On Jul 27, 2018
Luukasz:
So you really think the youths have something to offer keep deceiving yourself.

The same youths that involve in yahoo, cultism, drug abuse, scamming bro wake up to the reality the youths aint different from those old thieves in power.

Many Nigerian youths will be just like yahaya bello when elected to a political post.
speak for yourself...if you are into yahoo,cultism and other vices,I know so many Nigerian youths who are responsible Oga.
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Akiika: 5:28pm On Jul 27, 2018
President don't have that power.
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by shegzhkn: 5:31pm On Jul 27, 2018
Ioannes:

What you are suggesting is that a Democratically elected president should transform into an emperor and suspend the Constitution and all democratic institutions in the country.

Well, it's possible, but the US will never support you. At least not at first.

Most nations and probably the US will sanction you. We saw that happen during the Abacha era when Nigeria became a pariah nation. A leper that nobody wanted to touch.

If you weren't born then I can assure you that things were very very tough for Nigerians.

Anybody that wants to toe this line must make sure that he's got a plan to get the country functioning without the help of other nations.

After a few years and your country makes good progress and the people are content and happy, then the outside world will open its arms to you and accept your form of government.

OK I share your thoughts too.

look at it this way, you suggest earlier that something like this can be done if the executive sanitize the judiciary so that all the criminal there will have to pay for their sins, but you do know that this legislators will know that it will soon get back at them because something of such nature is unprecedented.

Yoruba has a saying that ' Iku ton Pa ojugba eni, owe lon pa fun ni' which mean a death killing one relatives is just a step away.

Now you start waging war against 1,2,3 lawmakers and say the fourth, the fifth and we know nearly all of them are criminals you don't think the process of such president impeachment will be faster than light speed.

What will be effective is to 'drone strike ' all at once.

That analogy of yours won't work he will get impeached asap.
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by socialmediaman: 5:32pm On Jul 27, 2018
sowore2019:
It is a high time Nigerians free themselves from mental slavery, nothing is impossible. A lot of people here obviously do not know the kind of support the Takeitback movement currently has, 2019 will be a shocker for many.

He’s playing to the gallery. Nigeria needs checks and balances so we need the senate, we just don’t need them being paid huge allowances
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by King44(m): 5:49pm On Jul 27, 2018
in as much as I think this guy should be given a chance so as to see what the youths can offer, his promises can't be fulfilled even if he tries those same set of pole will frustrate his plan, I don't believe in him but I hope he wins, restructuring would be better
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jul 27, 2018
shegzhkn:

OK I share your thoughts too.

look at it this way, you suggest earlier that something like this can be done if the executive sanitize the judiciary so that all the criminal there will have to pay for their sins, but you do know that this legislators will know that it will soon get back at them because something of such nature is unprecedented.

Yoruba has a saying that ' Iku ton Pa ojugba eni, owe lon pa fun ni' which mean a death killing one relatives is just a step away.

Now you start waging war against 1,2,3 lawmakers and say the fourth, the fifth and we know nearly all of them are criminals you don't think the process of such president impeachment will be faster than light speed.

What will be effective is to 'drone strike ' all at once.

That analogy of yours won't work he will get impeached asap.

I understand what you're saying.

That's why I said that such process can only succeed if it is conducted swiftly and with an element of surprise.

1. You could wait until they've gone for a long recess.

2. You could make it look like you're going after the opposition party at first. Your party senators will relax and even those of the other party will decamp thinking it will save them. Then you go ahead and axe all of them.

3. You could hire a team of lawyers to go after all of them at once and since the judges are yours they will expedite their trials. Within a couple of weeks the House of Assembly is clean.

4. They can't start impeachment proceedings without someone heading the Senate. So you go for the Senate President and the deputy.
They elect some others to fill their positions, then you go for those ones too and wait again for them to fill the position and you strike again. Before you know it none of them will accept those positions so as not to attract your axe.

Sponsor a couple of senators and make them Senate President and deputy. Assure them that as long as they are loyal they won't be prosecuted.

Then go for the other senators.

That's checkmate bro.
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by abdullahi45: 7:06pm On Jul 27, 2018
Ziggylady:

Omoyele Sowore the clown...keep up with the circus you call 'Presidential Ambition,only sophisticated morons are deceived.

May you suggest to us a better candidate?

2 Likes

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by abdullahi45: 7:09pm On Jul 27, 2018
TimFisher2:
grin

This guy don't have sense...i swear

Are you sure he attended school?

for a smooth running of government,where democracy is not hindered..there must be checks and balances

Oh the great literate please educate us. Did he say he is completely demolishing the Senate, he only wants to find ways to cut the fund they are consuming by introducing a more reasonable method.
Please educate US, the educated one.

2 Likes

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by abdullahi45: 7:14pm On Jul 27, 2018
[quote author=MrALIVE post=69739585]I am highly disappointed in you guys for the comments am reading here...this goes to show that some of the youths will be worst than the current crop of leaders if given opportunity to come into power.[/quote
Exactly bro. Some people are just too stupid... Like they want no room for change, i guess that's why our filthy, greedy and apathetic politicians care little about the populace, even if they continue to spoil and corrupt the system, some stupid youths will still support them. I dont think Nigerians especially most youths really want to see Nigeria out of this mess...
What a shame!!

2 Likes

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by abdullahi45: 7:16pm On Jul 27, 2018
Luukasz:
So you really think the youths have something to offer keep deceiving yourself.

The same youths that involve in yahoo, cultism, drug abuse, scamming bro wake up to the reality the youths aint different from those old thieves in power.

Many Nigerian youths will be just like yahaya bello when elected to a political post.

I begin to feel that there is no longer hope for this country. Impossible is nothing thou. But many youths are just out displaying their nuisance. God help us.

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by abdullahi45: 7:18pm On Jul 27, 2018
sowore2019:

He wasn't talking about total abolition of the NASS, read the line below..

Help me tell them oo. I think foolishness is really blindfolding some people...

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by uba1991: 7:24pm On Jul 27, 2018
THATS VERY GOOD. I WISH THOSE SENATIEFS ARE SCRAPED. THEY ARE USELESS

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jul 27, 2018
ITbomb:
It is evident that this guy does not even understand what he is doing

Lets even fantasize that he won the presidential election in his imaginations, where is he gonna derive the powers to Abolish the senate?
Maybe, he is planning a military coup which is the only way to appropriate and abrogate such powers to himself.

He just wants to be inducted into the looting class which is what all this noise is all about.
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by einsteine(m): 7:28pm On Jul 27, 2018
earnvest:

It's as simple as calling for a referendum. If 198,000,000 Nigerians vote to abolish the senate, all 109 of them will have to join the labor market. An advantage is that it'll make the 774 in the house of assembly sit up.

The are our representatives and not the other way around. It's the same reason why constituents can vote to have a senator recalled for poor performance/representation, only in this case, we'll be recalling all 109 of them.

You do realize that the Senate has to approve a change in the constitution. Are you aware of the procedures in making such a change? Where in the Nigerian constitution does it state that changes can come solely through a referendum without a reference to the legislature?
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Cityguy: 7:32pm On Jul 27, 2018
Full of energy but lacking wisdom! He is truly a youth. A child that says when he grows up, it's heads of chickens he would be using for breakfast, the same heads of chickens would not let him grow up na. He should learn to keep some things close to his chest.
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by shegzhkn: 7:36pm On Jul 27, 2018
Ioannes:

I understand what you're saying.

That's why I said that such process can only succeed if it is conducted swiftly and with an element of surprise.

1. You could wait until they've gone for a long recess.

2. You could make it look like you're going after the opposition party at first. Your party senators will relax and even those of the other party will decamp thinking it will save them. Then you go ahead and axe all of them.

3. You could hire a team of lawyers to go after all of them at once and since the judges are yours they will expedite their trials. Within a couple of weeks the House of Assembly is clean.

4. They can't start impeachment proceedings without someone heading the Senate. So you go for the Senate President and the deputy.
They elect some others to fill their positions, then you go for those ones too and wait again for them to fill the position and you strike again. Before you know it none of them will accept those positions so as not to attract your axe.

Sponsor a couple of senators and make them Senate President and deputy. Assure them that as long as they are loyal they won't be prosecuted.

Then go for the other senators.

That's checkmate bro.

if you say so.
someone like sowore whose 'party members' are yet to be found in the senate has to promise a rogue to assume the temporal senate lead and then that gesture will be a mitigating factor in his own sentencing when the axe finally fell on him abi.

And besides for the president to be impeached he must have committed an offence against the constitution if not then impeaching him will be a non starter for 'em.
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by COMPAQ(m): 8:14pm On Jul 27, 2018
As good as it might be to abolish the senate, the truth is that the dude can't do that without amending the constitution!!
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by earnvest: 8:37pm On Jul 27, 2018
einsteine:

You do realize that the Senate has to approve a change in the constitution. Are you aware of the procedures in making such a change? Where in the Nigerian constitution does it state that changes can come solely through a referendum without a reference to the legislature?

Mauritanians have voted to abolish the upper house of their parliament, the Senate, in a controversial referendum that was boycotted by the opposition.

The result is seen as a victory for President Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz, who is accused by his rivals of trying to extend his mandate, which he denies.

He called the referendum after the Senate rejected his proposals to change the constitution.

Turnout was 53.73%, with 85% of voters supporting the change, officials said.

But members of the opposition denounced an "electoral farce which has given way to open-air fraud".

Mr Abdel Aziz, who described the Senate as "useless and too costly", said the move to abolish it would improve governance by introducing more local forms of lawmaking.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-40847092

These things have been done elsewhere. The problem is that we don't believe that we (198,000,000 of us) are stronger than the senate.
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by mctowel01: 8:40pm On Jul 27, 2018
Ziggylady:

Sowore is a clown,why should i support him or Durotoye?,because you yorubas say so??...you must be a joker..Activist or whatever does not equate to being a good leader,Adams Oshiomole was an NLC activist,see how he turned out

Kingsley Moghalu is my prefered choice and could make a good leader,but i know for a fact that you Yorubas will not vote for him,so why should i or any Igbo person vote for sowore?..biko let us all stop fooling ourselves and stick with buhari,Atiku,Obasanjo,Saraki until Nigerian youths wakes up and learn to work together..
Why do you let tribal sentiments becloud your thinking? Your future is at stake, here yet you are still talking crap of ibo yoruba. Well, I think you haven't suffered well enough, maybe you still need 2-3 generations of wailing before you people begin to use your basic common sense.
. FYI, I am also from the east and I STAND WITH SOWORE

3 Likes

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Ziggylady(f): 8:45pm On Jul 27, 2018
mctowel01:

Why fo you let tribal sentiments becloud your thinking? Your future js at stake, here yet you are still talking crap. Well, I think you haven't suffered well enough, maybe you still need 2-3 generations of wailing before you people begin to use their basic common sense.
. FYI, I am also igbo and I STAND WITH SOWORE

My future is not at stake mr failure,i have chosen to stand with Kingsley Moghalu while you have chosen to be foolish....I bet you are an aimless student whose blood is still pumping with aluta nonsense,thats why you thimk a blackmailing maverick like Sowore will make a good President.

If you are Igbo then you need some brains.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by mctowel01: 9:04pm On Jul 27, 2018
Ziggylady:

My future is not at stake my failure,i have chosen to stand with Kingsley Moghalu while you have chosen to be foolish....I bet you are an aimless student whose blood is still pumping with aluta nonsense,thats why you thimk a blackmailing maverick like Sowore will make a good President.

If you are Igbo then you need some brains.
Thay I refuse to be a bigot like you, who keeps selling their voting rights every election on the most sheeple and silly reason such as "state of origin" means I need some brains?... Then you are absolutely not educated. You only attended school. I don't even live in Nigeria and I am very settled where I am that I can decide not to come back to Nigeria. You being ibo? what have your governors and reps in the legislature done to better your life? The parliament where I live don't know me or where I m from, yet theres been a lot more impact from them than I will say nigeria has ever done. I don't need anything from Nigeria aside being my motherland and heritage. Same with sowore, his family is in the US and he can decide to continue his journalism there, but instead, he chose to be bold to stand up to a change.

You already are thinking via your mental tribal bigotry that riddles typical Nigerians. All i m just trying to do is purge yourself of it to make way for your basic common sense.
Well. You can decide for whoever you want. Its your right, but don't also forget that Moghalu was deputy cbn governor for many years, yet he didn't stand up to the corruption such as backdoor employments within the system. Sowore on the other hand, has a proven record of standing up for the truth in his little facets. Kindly research online to investigate his activities way before this presidential ambition and judge for yourself.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Kogi: INEC Begins Final Collation Of Results / Thugs Invade Polling Units In Ogbomoso, Seize Thumb-printed Ballot Papers, Boxes / Wike: God Won’t Give Nigeria Another President Like Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.