Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,334 members, 7,957,892 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 11:32 PM

When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. - Car Talk (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. (20719 Views)

Car Ac Fix Back To Factory Specs <abuja> No Convertion All Car Makes / Lagos State Government Has Taken Delivery Of New BRT Buses With Awesome Specs / Fluid Specs Q & A Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by valarinz: 11:22pm On Aug 11, 2018
oblo:

I knew Valarinz will turn up here.... Again grin

Ma oga, ive got a very clean volvo for sale oo, care for one? grin
Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by NobleEngineer(m): 9:38am On Aug 12, 2018
Gazzuzz i dey beef you bad bad... As in beef toh madding...my name no enta d Tory.
Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by 9icetoo(m): 3:33pm On Aug 12, 2018
oblo:

I knew Valarinz will turn up here.... Again grin
grin
Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by Emperoh(m): 11:00pm On Aug 12, 2018
Hmm mm....... Interesting thread!

Grabs chair. By the way Gazzuzz, aside being an English speaking mechanic you also write very well. Weh done sah.

E get one small work wey we fit do oo.

GS 350 from Yankee. Interested?

2 Likes

Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by e90(m): 1:23pm On Aug 22, 2018
End of story....we are still waiting.
Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:33pm On Aug 22, 2018
e90:
End of story....we are still waiting.

. The spirit is willing, but the fingers are weak.

4 Likes

Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by sunnp(m): 4:20pm On Aug 27, 2018
Good day our Oga/doctor @ GAZZUZZ...i learn I lot from you thanks for the good work God continue to bless you... Please sir.. Mean it's good to you coolant inside can than water right? Do we use it only or mix with water? Also what coolant can I use for corolla 2007 and how much? Did you have for sell?

Thanks in advance
Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:47pm On Aug 27, 2018
sunnp:
Good day our Oga/doctor @ GAZZUZZ...i learn I lot from you thanks for the good work God continue to bless you... Please sir.. Mean it's good to you coolant inside can than water right? Do we use it only or mix with water? Also what coolant can I use for corolla 2007 and how much? Did you have for sell?

Thanks in advance

6-7quartz of this and you should be ok. 14k for this gallon.

1 Share

Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by radautoworks: 7:17pm On Aug 27, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

6-7quartz of this and you should be ok. 14k for this gallon.

Heh, heh. Finally something I'm cheaper than you on lol. Tell Uncle Yusuf to come back with his English speaking nephew!
Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:43pm On Aug 27, 2018
radautoworks:

Heh, heh. Finally something I'm cheaper than you on lol. Tell Uncle Yusuf to come back with his English speaking nephew!

wink wink wink wink
Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:40pm On Aug 27, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

With the combination of abuse, vehicle still carried on for a long time, (testament to toyota builds) the the engine must have developed a sludge buildup, but did not cause an immediate threat because the sludge was sticking to the walls of the engine and other parts, it was not hanging loose, the coolant passages had already started corroding, but did not show any signs of leaks because there was no pressure on the coolant system (In effect the water was sort of sitting in a bucket but the holes where on the cover of the bucket)

The engine was also very in-efficient, and burnt up more fuel.

the reason for the added fuel consumption is centered around ECU programing.

Every car once started in the cold position will receive instructions for higher Rev, and longer pulses to the injectors to enable the engine warm up real quick, this is necessary especially in sub-zero conditions to ensure engine does not stall.

The first 10-15mins of a cold start should be enough to raise the temp of the coolant from -x to between 90-104degrees celcius.

After this the engines rpm will return back to about 700-800RPM and pulses to injector normalize.

Now in the case of this engine, the temp never rose to 90-96deg, infact for a better part of its life, it was stuck at around 65deg celcius. The effect of this is the engine ecu will continue over fueling and keep the RPM higher than usual levels.

To combat this behaviour the roadside tech would have tried Bringing down the RPM manually by blocking off the IACV with a Foreign material to ensure he gets a desired rpm set manually from the butterfly. in doing a manual rpm set, the rpm would be unable to adjust automatically to expected load e.g the a/c wink next would be a wave of vibrations when ever the a/c is engaged or when the headlamps are set to full beam, or when the steering is turned at any angle.

Trust the road side Mech, he always has a way to counter 1 abuse with another, they incorporate an electronic valve and wire it to the compressor signal, and the vacuum side to the intake, the smart ones connect the air inlet side to the intake air hose before the airflow meter to reduce the hissing sound and avoid a lean mix code, the not so smart ones leave it open.

A combination of all this abuse is Recived by the catalytic converter, it receives Nigerias adulterated bad fuel a rich mixture, black sooth and ultimately gets blocked.

Well again the roadside has a solution to this again there's the smart one, and the outright foo.l. The smart one takes out the blocked catalyst and sells, the foolish one takes out the old catalyst, Sells and installs a wire mesh to avoid the hollow sound. Reminds me of ogyrt who has advertised every abuse I just mentioned here as a way of fixing a car sad

The effects of overfueling also cause what is called bore wash, which is when fuel from the injectors mixes with engine oil intended to lubricate the cylinder walls and causes poor lubrication and thereby causing rapid wear of rings pistons and Cylinder walls.

long term engine was on a collision course with death.

Now to what finally killed the camry 2003 engine.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7631382_15351915827381570955335_jpeg69189f8f3156997bf3aae2349c4e7e9a

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7631383_15351916496312041153151_jpegdf61473f08f43dda1a8c39eb33f50a78

I pulled this pic from this thread https://www.nairaland.com/4683700/toyota-4runner-2007-1gr-fe-fix/1

this is a typical example of why you should not pour full synthetic oil into an engine that has been abused.

remember we talked about how sludge gradually builds up in the engine, well sludge if left alone, does not cause any immediate harm,in most cases engine death is slow but sure.

Now this is what happens when you pour synthetic oil into an engine with a great amount of sludge.

Full synthetic engine oils have cleaning additives, they work like detergents, and are able to break down accumulated sludge in the engine very quickly. The ability of full synthetic oils to keep an engine clean, in a healthy engine is harmless, the particles get trapped in the oil filter and after an oil (oil and filter change) drain the process is repeated again. sadly in an abused engine it is not the same. You have rapid breakdown of sludge, it overwhelms the oil filter, clogs up the strainer at the pickup screen of the oil pump, on and no time the engine is running on low oil pressure (which explains why the oil light started flickering in traffic) ultimately from low oil pressure the engine gets starved of lubrication, becomes noisy, rattles and finally freezes up.

full synthetic oil should never be used on an engine with long term abuse. Regular and shorter oil changes with mineral oil after returning temperature settings will be a better approach, to maintaining an abused engine, if you are not ready for a replacement or a rebuild.

As to what killed the honda V6 engine.

That particular model has a very sensitive catalytic converter system. In most toyota's, with age and mileage the catalytic converter gets burnt out, but in Honda, with age mileage and abuse the converter gets blocked, a blocked converter means exhaust fumes on that particular bank do not get to leave the exhaust system with ease, the exhaust system is narrowed down to a smaller diameter, a typical example would be drinking water from a cup VS sipping water from a straw.
The effect of a blocked catalytic converter results in overburdened connecting rods, excessive heat in Cylinder head, excessive wear to valve stem seals, and a general loss of power.

It is typical to find such cars smoking excessively (white/blue smoke).

Continuous Use of engine in that state leads to a catastrophic end for said engine.

With this last post I have finally ended this story.
I trust it was beneficial to many, and I hope you are not learning the hard way.

I want to re-appreciate to The nairalander who gifted me this phone that helps me type volumes in a few minutes.

One love every one.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by Sunymoore(m): 2:31pm On Aug 28, 2018
Thanks.. I learnt alot
Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by oride: 3:38pm On Aug 28, 2018
In earnest, Dipo shouldn't have changed to synthetic oil. The change led to a swift dearth of the camry, I guess.
Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by elshanAutos: 7:21pm On Aug 29, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
Mayor is done, Hybrid coolant now in the system, he thanks his Lastma buddies, takes a turn on bariga bridge, and fires back to sangotedo........

The bridge was free of traffic, and they had a long way ahead, Uncle re-initiates formula 1 skills while passing a nissan almera driven by nurey @ 160km/hr....

Nurey gives chase.... Towards the end of the bridge, there is white smoke coming out the tail pipe of nurey's almera, and he has to park.

uncle Grins like Elshanautos, and tells him self "I still got it cool

grin grin
Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by OAM4J: 7:07pm On Sep 13, 2018
I cant remember how I found myself in this thread and got hook with the interesting story. But good I did.

Nice One GAZZUZZ!
Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by opomulero(m): 8:08pm On Sep 13, 2018
Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:41pm On Sep 13, 2018
OAM4J:
I cant remember how I found myself in this thread and got hook with the interesting story. But good I did.

Nice One GAZZ UZZ!

welcome sir.
Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by sooperrescue(m): 12:04pm On Sep 14, 2018
This is a racing narrative of how we gladly destroy our cars and happily offload the wahala to 54 jars and then to Nigerians. It shows how wicked and shallow our mentality is. Someone buys a 2005 Camry in 2018, (13) years old car and everything is still in pristine condition and 5 months later, we start to tropicalise the vehicle. Where's the pastor in the house? Please come and pray for us all to repent from our evil ways.

1 Like

Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by Nobody: 9:50am On Sep 15, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7631382_15351915827381570955335_jpeg69189f8f3156997bf3aae2349c4e7e9a

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7631383_15351916496312041153151_jpegdf61473f08f43dda1a8c39eb33f50a78

I pulled this pic from this thread https://www.nairaland.com/4683700/toyota-4runner-2007-1gr-fe-fix/1

this is a typical example of why you should not pour full synthetic oil into an engine that has been abused.

I want to re-appreciate to The nairalander who gifted me this phone that helps me type volumes in a few minutes.

One love every one.

You're to be appreciated, merely coming here and reading your updates and those of others has been a blessing to my old 2003 but trustworthy Camry. Thank you for all you do. God bless you!

1 Like

Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by uzuz(f): 2:21pm On Sep 18, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
Uncle places a call to his buddy cosplay.

uncle: ore mi, ah I need your help. He narrates his ordeal to his friend.

Cosplay: Hand over the phone to the most senior officer at the place and let me speak to them.

Uncle: ok ore mi, thank you.

Cosplay and ipfreely talk for about 5min, and after a while ipfreely starts laughing and cracking jokes over the phone shocked

Uncle is now thinking of his 500 naira card angry but there's nothing he can do. They continue Their Gist until credit runs out, mopol signals Banky3w to let them go with a warning, while he Flags down another Vehicle, a green Volvo without Number plates driven by valarinz. Banky3w smiles mopol smiles as Uncle takes off.

The drive Home was uneventful, and They Get home really exhausted.

Madam Uzuz brings in dinner while they all eat while narrating the events of the day.

Who is mentioning me upandan?
Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:34pm On Sep 18, 2018
uzuz:

Who is mentioning me upandan?

hehehehe you came late nah grin
Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by ak22(m): 11:28am On Sep 19, 2018
Good day sir

Sir can you tell me likely problem and disadvantage of Venza 09/ and 10

Thanks Sir
Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by awele186: 1:01am On Sep 21, 2018
Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by kcbaba007: 2:21am On Sep 30, 2018
Sir, Gazzuzz, you are a blessing indeed, I appreciate other experienced car techs in the house, pls, could u give us some examples of mineral lubrication oils that will be effective as per cars?
e.g, I use a Honda accord 2005 model, I am.presently bringing it back to factory order, but skeptical about the lubrication oil to use, something within was actually telling me not to use d manufacturer's recommended oil

Second question sir, what if the oil strainer is cleaned out and sludge removed from the engine, will it be able to accommodate d manufacturer's recommended lubricating oil?

Third question sir, forgive me of my inquisitive nature, will it be wise to flush d engine to get rid of sludge?

GAZZUZZ:

remember we talked about how sludge gradually builds up in the engine, well sludge if left alone, does not cause any immediate harm,in most cases engine death is slow but sure.

Now this is what happens when you pour synthetic oil into an engine with a great amount of sludge.

Full synthetic engine oils have cleaning additives, they work like detergents, and are able to break down accumulated sludge in the engine very quickly. The ability of full synthetic oils to keep an engine clean, in a healthy engine is harmless, the particles get trapped in the oil filter and after an oil (oil and filter change) drain the process is repeated again. sadly in an abused engine it is not the same. You have rapid breakdown of sludge, it overwhelms the oil filter, clogs up the strainer at the pickup screen of the oil pump, on and no time the engine is running on low oil pressure (which explains why the oil light started flickering in traffic) ultimately from low oil pressure the engine gets starved of lubrication, becomes noisy, rattles and finally freezes up.

full synthetic oil should never be used on an engine with long term abuse. Regular and shorter oil changes with mineral oil after returning temperature settings will be a better approach, to maintaining an abused engine, if you are not ready for a replacement or a rebuild.

As to what killed the honda V6 engine.

That particular model has a very sensitive catalytic converter system. In most toyota's, with age and mileage the catalytic converter gets burnt out, but in Honda, with age mileage and abuse the converter gets blocked, a blocked converter means exhaust fumes on that particular bank do not get to leave the exhaust system with ease, the exhaust system is narrowed down to a smaller diameter, a typical example would be drinking water from a cup VS sipping water from a straw.
The effect of a blocked catalytic converter results in overburdened connecting rods, excessive heat in Cylinder head, excessive wear to valve stem seals, and a general loss of power.

It is typical to find such cars smoking excessively (white/blue smoke).

Continuous Use of engine in that state leads to a catastrophic end for said engine.

With this last post I have finally ended this story.
I trust it was beneficial to many, and I hope you are not learning the hard way.

One love every one.

Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by kcbaba007: 2:32am On Sep 30, 2018
And yes! The car was heavily kazeemized, d IACV was blocked just as u has posited, it caused unnecessary vibrations, kazeem had used d thermostat for lunch, and had also taken d catalytic converter for breakfast, I just had to order for a new IACV, knock sensor, TPS, the upstream and down stream O2 sensors, engine air filter, cabin air filter, thermistor, thermostat, and an O2 spacer, I just hope after doing all this, the engine will bounce back.

kcbaba007:
Sir, Gazzuzz, you are a blessing indeed, I appreciate other experienced car techs in the house, pls, could u give us some examples of mineral lubrication oils that will be effective as per cars?
e.g, I use a Honda accord 2005 model, I am.presently bringing it back to factory order, but skeptical about the lubrication oil to use, something within was actually telling me not to use d manufacturer's recommended oil

Second question sir, what if the oil strainer is cleaned out and sludge removed from the engine, will it be able to accommodate d manufacturer's recommended lubricating oil?

Third question sir, forgive me of my inquisitive nature, will it be wise to flush d engine to get rid of sludge?

Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by thebigkendo(m): 9:06pm On Nov 21, 2019
Gazzuzz no story this year?

1 Like

Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:41am On Nov 22, 2019
thebigkendo:
Gazzuzz no story this year?

I wish a day had 30hrs I'm so busy at this time of the year.
Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by Ogburaga: 11:47am On May 21, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

I wish a day had 30hrs I'm so busy at this time of the year.

In advanced countries, people do not instinctively visit manufacturer - approved dealerships to service or repair their vehicles. They generally stick to credible information in books. Unlike in the developing world where we don't know how many people live in Nigeria and how much crude oil NNPC sells in a year, these countries have a sacred belief in proper documentation. A Nigerian purchasing a brand new vehicle doesn't give a shit about documentation such as service manuals and owner's manuals. We tend to rely more on experience and the wisdom of elders. That is why a professor will chide a student for quoting a credible text rather than the note he delivered to the class, full of experiential info.

When a used vehicle is being sold in the US, entire maintenance history is documented and made available to new owner, and if you're buying a salvaged vehicle the facts are well documented. I remember when I bought my first car, a camry 2005 V6 in 2013. Before the vehicle arrived I had read tons of material including vehicle manuals downloaded from the Internet. I always used 5W30 oil and Toyota Long Life Coolant (Toyota red). Most people buy and drive, literally, while leaving the rest to their ignorant mechanic in coal camp and elsewhere. They keep adding water and telling us the car is not overheating, as if smoking a pack of cigarettes kills overnight. Buying a foreign used vehicle can only give peace of mind to people who are informed, and it takes no more than reading the owner's manual and similar documents which of course would be available on the Internet

6 Likes

Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by Ogburaga: 11:53am On May 21, 2020
I successfully quoted a Nairaland comment.
I have to celebrate this incredible feat.
Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by Ogburaga: 12:02pm On May 21, 2020
Toyota Super Long Life Coolant is excellent for newer model Toyota cars manufactured from 2004, but I discovered this OEM concentrate which meets the specs and costs a bit less. The premixed Toyota coolant costs about 11k in my area but this one is a concentrate requiring mixing with an equal volume of distilled water, so yields 8Litres and costs 8K

Re: When It Is Time To Return To Factory Specs. by sooperrescue(m): 2:51pm On May 21, 2020
Ogburaga:
Toyota Super Long Life Coolant is excellent for newer model Toyota cars manufactured from 2004, but I discovered this OEM concentrate which meets the specs and costs a bit less. The premixed Toyota coolant costs about 11k in my area but this one is a concentrate requiring mixing with an equal volume of distilled water, so yields 8Litres and costs 8K
Bros, what does an antifreeze coolant do in our hot climate?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Advice On Long Distance Journey / Coronavirus Lockdown: 5 Care Tips For Your Car / Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.