Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,616 members, 7,813,023 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:38 AM

Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? (15230 Views)

Should Women Become Pastors / Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? / Zambian Prophet Removing A Lady's Pant In Church In Front Of Congregation (Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by Imustreturn(m): 10:25am On Aug 12, 2018
sureheaven:
The Bible condemned it the Old Testament but since Jesus had come, most of those errors have been corrected.

Woman can stand on the alter and preach in the church so far such woman isn’t menstruating.
but the new testament says a woman should keep silent?

And the Jesus u said corrected an error also said that he didn't come to abolish the "Law" but to fulfil it!!

Are you trying to say that God is a confusionist?

1 Like

Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by bareal(m): 10:26am On Aug 12, 2018
sureheaven:
The Bible condemned it the Old Testament but since Jesus had come, most of those errors have been corrected.

Woman can stand on the alter and preach in the church so far such woman isn’t menstruating.

So, Timothy and Corinthians are old testament?
And even so, menstruation can come unannounced, Anytime!
Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by bareal(m): 10:27am On Aug 12, 2018
AkpaMgbor:

After the crucifixion of Christ, women became much more active in spreading the gospel..they were the first people Christ appeared to from the grave..they were instrumental in movement of the early churches..apostle Paul used to thank them for hosting Christian converts in their homes..they were ministers and preachers of the good news...especially to the gentiles..

Yes but, definitely not to head a church

1 Like

Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by Imustreturn(m): 10:29am On Aug 12, 2018
Oasis007:

grin

So you believe there are Errors in the Bible?! There ain't Errors in the Bible Bruh..... we should endeavor to follow the Teachings of the Holy Book, and both Old and New Testaments are Words of God.
I just wonder if the old testament is a sin in the bible..

When they want God to do miracle they remember God of Sarah God of Abraham, wch is the old testament oo..

When they want to argue to remember Jesus has come to die and abolish everything.

Did God ever change?

This people are funny with there logical reasoning..

3 Likes

Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by bareal(m): 10:30am On Aug 12, 2018
brainhgeek:
If you read Joel 2:28, you will understand that God is not leaving women behind in this last days move of the spirit.
Israel had mighty men before God chose Deborah to lead the war

Kikikiki.... Church and War are now the same.

1 Like

Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by Nobody: 10:30am On Aug 12, 2018
Tobechuckwu:

Please, do u have issues with Joyce Meyer or with Tattoo?
Pls,do tattoos have a POSITIVE Biblically recommendation ?

....& does Joyce Meyer appear to be the Light of God to men ?

2 Likes

Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by Rajosh(m): 10:32am On Aug 12, 2018
Makydebbie wrote something about this some time ago and it was well discussed there.

https://www.nairaland.com/3586141/women-pastors-end-up-hell

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by anath(m): 10:34am On Aug 12, 2018
topgear:
I think this is a good question.
Cuz the bible says women shud submit to their husbands and a woman's place is under the authority of a man.
I wonder if this is also applicable to the church.

It is a fact that no women was ordained as a priest or prophet in the bible but women were involved in evangelism and also ministered to men but they were Neva ordained.

I think biblicaly women are allowed to preach and minister but not lead as a General overseer or head of a congregation.
U are right ,I will gv u two verses to ascertain ur point. These are : 1 cor14:34-35 and 1 Tim 2:11-12. Pls study and quote me bk for feedback
Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by Rajosh(m): 10:34am On Aug 12, 2018
Maximus85:

You're 100% correct. No woman should pray while a man bow his head. It's disrespect for God's arrangement. The head of every woman is the man, the head of the church is Jesus, the head of Jesus is God Almighty.
The men are not bowing down their heads to the woman. They're bowing their heads to God Almighty.

1 Like

Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by anath(m): 10:35am On Aug 12, 2018
[quote author=topgear post=70202235]I think this is a good question.
Cuz the bible says women shud submit to their husbands and a woman's place is under the authority of a man.
I wonder if this is also applicable to the church.
It is a fact that no women was ordained as a priest or prophet in the bible but women were involved in evangelism and also ministered to men but they were Neva ordained.

I think biblicaly women are allowed to preach and minister but not lead as a General overseer or head of a congregation.
U are right ,I will gv u two verses to ascertain ur point. These are : 1 cor14:34-35 and 1 Tim 2:11-12. Pls study and quote me bk for feedback.thanks alot

1 Like

Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by ollah2: 10:39am On Aug 12, 2018
Mizwisdom:

Mods, should a Muslim post here when we can't post in theirs?

How do you mean you can't post in theirs?

1 Like

Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by Lomprico2: 10:41am On Aug 12, 2018
One-one tousand! lipsrsealed
Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by NextBuhari: 10:46am On Aug 12, 2018
Oasis007:

grin

So you believe there are Errors in the Bible?! There ain't Errors in the Bible Bruh..... we should endeavor to follow the Teachings of the Holy Book, and both Old and New Testaments are Words of God.
Or maybe we should just expunge the Old testament from the Bible and adopt the New Testament only. When it is convenient, we quote the Old Testament when it is not, we hide behind the New Testament. This selective application of Biblical principles is very funny.

3 Likes

Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by Oasis007(m): 10:52am On Aug 12, 2018
NextBuhari:
Or maybe we should just expunge the Old testament from the Bible and adopt the New Testament only. When it is convenient, we quote the Old Testament when it is not, we hide behind the New Testament. This selective application of Biblical principles is very funny.

grin

At times its baffling Bruh! Why creating unnecessary disparity between Old and New Testaments respectively? Ain't both - Words of God?!

It's unbiblical for a Woman to lead a Congregation, also there are more unbiblical Activities going on in the Churches but we choose to ignore cos its only Old Testament that against the Activities/Practices - as if Old Testament ain't world of God.

2 Likes

Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by NextBuhari: 10:56am On Aug 12, 2018
Oasis007:

grin

At times its baffling Bruh! Why creating unnecessary disparity between Old and New Testaments respectively? Ain't both - Words of God?!

It's unbiblical for a Woman to lead a Congregation, also there are more unbiblical Activities going on in the Churches but we choose to ignore cos its only Old Testament that against the Activities/Practices - as if Old Testament ain't world of God.
The point is that there has been an infusion of western values into Christianity to the point that the two are now indistinguishable. The substitute western values with the Principles of Christianity.

1 Like

Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by victorazyvictor(m): 10:57am On Aug 12, 2018
7Alexander:

OP, what is the meaning of the emboldened Abeg? So, it's no longer about what the bible says, but about 'comfort'? If the bible preaches against rape, but I find this preaching 'uncomfortable ', seeing that I'm the 'final arbiter of truth', does it mean I can rightly practice rape?

Correct...

In my own opinion, anything or law in the bible that does not link or reference the 10 commandment or quotes God but mere personal inventory can be sub changed. e.g. Apostle Paul encouraging singleness while God says "go ye into the world and multiply"

Rape is linked to fornication because you can only rape a stranger who is not your spouse, is a felony.
Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by Oasis007(m): 10:58am On Aug 12, 2018
NextBuhari:
The point is that there has been an infusion of western values into Christianity to the point that the two are now indistinguishable. The substitute western values with the Principles of Christianity.

grin

Spot on Bruh! Sorry to say - Catholic are kinda practicing the Doctrine far better than other Sects.

1 Like

Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by jossytech(m): 11:02am On Aug 12, 2018
g77 8/8 pp. 27-28
What Is the Bible’s View?
Women in the Pulpit?
“‘Women Preachers’​—The Fight Rages On”

‘Ordination of Women Authorized by Episcopal Church’

“VATICAN: PRIESTHOOD FOR MEN ONLY”

“WOMEN CROWDING SEMINARIES”

SUCH newspaper headlines tell of a growing controversy. Recently several Protestant religions have changed their ‘church policy’ to permit women “ministers” or “priests.” Among these are Lutherans, Episcopalians and Anglicans.

To the contrary, the Vatican, on January 27 of this year, restated its position that only men could be Roman Catholic priests. However, many ‘Catholic activists’ immediately said that they would continue to argue for the ordaining of women.

In view of all of this, one naturally wonders: ‘After hundreds of years of only males in the pulpit, why the current debate?’ It is generally agreed that the women’s liberation movement has been the main force. Feminist writers contend that women are equally qualified and “a change in the tradition seems imperative.”

Actually, whether to “abolish tradition” seems to be a large issue in the controversy. But, instead, should not the first concern be: To whom does God give the responsibility of teaching the congregation? Yes, rather than exploring man-made traditions, let’s consider the Bible’s view.

Jesus loved people, including women. In contrast with the Pharisees and others, he treated females with respect and readily taught them. Women loyally attended him and were the first to see him after his resurrection.​—John 4:27; Luke 10:39; Matt. 27:55, 56; 28:1, 9.

There is nothing in the Gospels to indicate that Jesus discouraged women from telling others about the “good news” of salvation. In fact, after the outpouring of God’s spirit upon about 120 men and women assembled at Pentecost, Peter quotes Joel’s prophecy: “I [God] shall pour out some of my spirit upon every sort of flesh, and your sons and your daughters will prophesy.” (Acts 1:14; 2:1-18; Joel 2:28, 29) Thus, in the early congregation, men and women joyously shared their new hope with any who would listen.

On the other hand, we must carefully consider the Bible’s use of the Greek word di·aʹko·nos. At times it is used in a general sense of one of either sex “serving” or “ministering to” others. It is apparently in this manner that Paul speaks of “Phoebe our sister, who is a minister [servant, AV].” (Rom. 16:1; Luke 8:1-3) In many passages, however, the word obviously refers to an appointed office in the congregation​—a ministerial assistant.

The list of qualifications for this official position includes: “Let ministerial servants be husbands of one wife.” The same is said of those having spiritual oversight, called “elders” or “overseers.” A congregational elder must be “a man presiding over his own household in a fine manner.” (1 Tim. 3:2-4, 8, 12) So baptized males are to take both positions of leadership (elder and ministerial servant) in the congregation.

The Christian Greek Scriptures are very clear on this matter. Paul writes: “I do not permit a woman to teach [the congregation], or to exercise authority over a man.” (1 Tim. 2:11, 12) Yet he also speaks of women as having teaching ability, for he exhorts mature women to be “teachers of what is good” to the “young women.” (Titus 2:3-5) Why is it that women can teach those outside the congregation but are not allowed to take the lead inside it? Was the apostle Paul “antiwoman,” as some claim?

Such reasoning ignores a fundamental Bible teaching: headship. Paul was in harmony with Peter and other Bible writers when he wrote: “But I want you to know that the head of every man is the Christ; in turn the head of a woman is the man; in turn the head of the Christ is God.”​—1 Cor. 11:3; 1 Pet. 3:1.

God alone has no head over him; all others do. Of course, in view of the way many men have abused their headship, it is little wonder that some women bitterly cry for equality. Yet, in truth, God provided this headship arrangement for the good of all. How so?

Jehovah designed the family arrangement for life’s most intimate relationships. To assure the happiness and security of all, stability and unity would be essential. Obviously, one member would need to give direction. Jehovah gave this responsibility to the man. He also commanded the husband to “love his wife as he does himself”​—cherishing and honoring her.​—Eph. 5:28-33.

Therefore, if the woman is to seek her husband’s direction in the home, how could she take headship over men and women in the congregation? What would happen if an elder and “eldress” were married to each other?

Those who argue for women “in the pulpit” would have us believe that only because of prevailing social custom did Jesus not have female apostles among the twelve. But Jesus acted in accord with God’s original purpose. In Eden, Adam was Eve’s head, even before their fall into sin.​—Gen. 2:18, 22, 24; 1 Cor. 11:7-9.

Now, is this divine pattern “stunting” to women, making them “second-class Christians,” as some claim? Today the word “submission” is often linked to “inferiority.” But the Bible and Christian living teach us that only by submitting to Jehovah’s will​—seeking our place in his arrangement—​can we find happiness.

Further, the apostle Paul is often misrepresented concerning women. Besides writing at length as to how women should be loved and respected, he repeatedly greeted and commended by name individual sisters. (Rom. 16:3, 4, 6, 12) And it was this same apostle who wrote the verse most quoted by advocates of women “priests.” It states: “There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor freeman, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one person in union with Christ Jesus.”​—Gal. 3:28.

This scripture, studied in context, reveals a profound truth. The heavenly class is not restricted to men but includes women. Surely, above all else, this proclaims God’s favorable view of women​—a view faithfully reflected by Christ and Paul.

So, while the churches go in many directions on this issue, Christian women do well to hold to the Biblical teaching. In doing this they are not being “repressed.” They find true happiness in offering up “spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God.” And, most important, they gain God’s blessing.​—1 Pet. 2:5.

5 Likes

Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by miraclea: 11:02am On Aug 12, 2018
[quote author=Quiescere post=70203023]Try telling Joyce Meyer, Juanita Bynum, Bobbie Houston, Anita C. Hill, Paula White and more that they shouldn't be leading their churches because they're women.
It doesn't matter who is involved when God says a thing it must be so observed

1 Like

Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by AmazonTopaz(f): 11:06am On Aug 12, 2018
NextBuhari:
Was it not the west that helped spread Christianity?
Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by NextBuhari: 11:10am On Aug 12, 2018
AmazonTopaz:
Was it not the west that helped spread Christianity?
Certainly, but we now have the aptitude to read and understand the Bible by ourselves and apply its principles appropriately. The point is that most people who were introduced to Christianity barely understand it. Hence, the misinterpretation and misapplication.

2 Likes

Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by Kekekenny(m): 11:10am On Aug 12, 2018
HMM AMH!!!! CHRISTIANS TWISTING THEIR BIBLE TO SUIT THEMSELVES. WHEN IT WAS CLEARLY STATED HERE.WOMEN CAN ONLY DECEIVE WEAK MEN THOUGH..

1 Corinthians 14:34-35
34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.

35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.
Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by mohemos: 11:12am On Aug 12, 2018
7Alexander:

OP, what is the meaning of the emboldened Abeg? So, it's no longer about what the bible says, but about 'comfort'? If the bible preaches against rape, but I find this preaching 'uncomfortable ', seeing that I'm the 'final arbiter of truth', does it mean I can rightly practice rape?

Please read the emboldened part again in order for you to understand.....
I think the OP meant exactly the opposite of what you understood....
That you're not comfortable with the truth doesn't stop it from being the truth and negating it means you're wrong.

"Does it mean I can rightly practice rape?"...... NO!

1 Like

Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by Grace001: 11:16am On Aug 12, 2018
sureheaven:

So now that it is all about advocating for women preacher you remember now that “Jesus has come, most of those errors have been corrected”

But when it comes to the “Tithe” in Old Testament Jesus omitted that error or he forgot to correct that.

Honestly,95% of Nigerian Christians are hypocrites. Religion leaders within Christendom twist scripture just to suite their selfish doctrine and their gullible zombie follower accept it. There is even confusion within the Christendom.

One G.O will say in my church you can wear Brazilian hair, wear trouser, wear earrings, the other would say no we don’t accept hair wigs or earrings. Confusion everywhere

4 Likes

Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by NextBuhari: 11:16am On Aug 12, 2018
Oasis007:

grin

Spot on Bruh! Sorry to say - Catholic are kinda practicing the Doctrine far better than other Sects.
I'm not so sure about that. Maybe because of the Universal nature, reach and hierarchy of the catholic church, there's some control from the centre. Even then, some catholic priests are introducing practices quite alien to the catholic faith.

1 Like

Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by AmazonTopaz(f): 11:26am On Aug 12, 2018
NextBuhari:
Certainly, but we now have the aptitude to read and understand the Bible by ourselves and apply its principles appropriately. The point is that most people who were introduced to Christianity barley understand it. Hence, the misinterpretation and misapplication.

The book itself is confusing with contradictory verses.The topic is hogwash that is why I believe that book should be read in light of the time it was written (my opinion)women were seen as second class citizens at that time and in some part of the world today,anyway no religion or it's holy book can limit me because of gender.The book was written by different men which is why on some similar issues you get different views on the same question.I am not religious I only quoted you to ask that question?
I have embraced logic not religion.

1 Like

Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by Nobody: 11:26am On Aug 12, 2018
Premiumwriter:
[b]and if the Bible allows slavery, since it's the Bible [/b]we shouldn't argue
Evidence for these ?
Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by Kdon2: 11:29am On Aug 12, 2018
torkmoney:
Most churches don't appiont women as head of branches.
And they are few churches with women as the vision carriers
I wonder. Is this biblical?

Absolutely not! It is a modern day christianity practice devised by satan. Its very unbiblical
Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 11:29am On Aug 12, 2018
Christians have not stopped their pastors from raping women, they have not stopped their pastors from doing ritual killing to draw customers, they have not stopped them from brainswashing members and sleeping with their wives in the name of anointing, they have not stopped them from using the book of Malachi to collect their money, they have not even stopped them from treating more fake branches, but they are here busy arguing about who should preach and spread the gospel. We have not even done have of the things the bible says we should do, and have not also avoided 20% of the other atrocities the bible say we should not commit, yet we are here discussing women and preaching. Women should as well stopped going to. church since they won't speak, and should stop giving offering because someone who shouldn't speak should not stand so that they won't be seen.
Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by Nobody: 11:30am On Aug 12, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
If anybody should be atheist and discard religion especially Abrahamic religions it should be women.
But na dem religious pass.

Also the Pauline epistles were written by Paul to address different issues raised at that time but people take these words literally and apply it to the present day 21st century which results in conflicting views.

*shakes head*
What do you have to say about the female folks in the Muslim religion ?...
Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by twerkjack: 11:33am On Aug 12, 2018
Stupid men always trying to enslave women.. angry go with the tide you fools.... change is imminent
Re: Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? by Nobody: 11:35am On Aug 12, 2018
Rajosh:
What about Deborah?
Was Deborah the head of a church in her days ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Can I Know When God Has Left Me? / Is Africa Cursed Spiritually? / Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.