Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,957 members, 7,821,363 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 - Travel (165) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 (797616 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) ... (536) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by yuscodguy(m): 7:47am On Nov 28, 2018
doublezero7:
Visa Appproved at the Abuja embassy.

Got to the embassy around 8am for my 9am appointment. Longest queue ever mehn. Took over an hour to get to my turn. Passed the check points. Got in and was interviewed by a lady that looked like Sheila Zazz from Suits . Lol. I smiled as soon as i got to her and greeted. Honestly, there was no fear in my mind. I knew i was about to have a nice conversation.

She asked fot my passport and I20 which i passed to her

VO: So you're going to California State University, Los Angeles to study Healthcare Management?

Me: Yes ma'am

VO: why thia school?

Me: i chose CSULA because i they have a research in the area I am most interested in which is Medical intelligence and surveillance services systems. (She cut me)

VO: What is MIS?

Me: (wasn't expecting that so I took a pause, smiled and continued) MIS is that category of intelligence that is derived from the collection, evaluation, analysis and interpretation of foreign medical, bio scientific and enviromental information which can be of importance to strategic medical planning. (I was going to explain what MIS systems is used in the US and Canada before she cut me)

VO: when did you leave school and what did you study?

Me: i studied philosophy and graduated in 2013. (She looked up and asked)

VO: from philosophy to public health...(and she looked kinda turned off. Village people haff reach here o)

Me: Ma'am, studying philosophy gave me answers to lots of questions i had about life. I knew someday that I'd be taking up additional responsibility. So i decided to improve my art of reasoning and critical thinking skills. After my undergraduate degree, i started off as an intern at the Nigerian Institute of medical research and then got employment at the Federal Ministry of Health, Yaba Lagos. I presently work at my family's healthcare services company.

VO: That's enough. How many years of experience do you have in public health?

Me: 5 years

VO: Who is sponsoring your studies?

ME: My mother (passed her statement of account . She went through it whilst typing)

VO: Did you write any standardised test?

Me: Yes ma'am

VO: Can i have your score sheet?

Me:: (passed it)

VO: I'd be approving your visa now. Your financial document would be verified and if it is found to be fraudulent, you'd get your passport back and be banned from the USA. Do you want to submit this document.

Me: Of course ma'am.

VO: Take this paper. It would instruct you on how to pick up your passport. Take this other paper too. Enjoy your studies at the United States.

Me::Thank you. And enjoy the rest of your day too.

Congrats dude, I tap from your success.

Bro 100kobo please I sent you pm

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Jaybeepictures(m): 7:52am On Nov 28, 2018
Abacino007:
@lagosismyhome @100kobo, pls permit me to PM you.

please when you get through to them..let me know. 07056575431. thanks

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by doublezero7(m): 7:54am On Nov 28, 2018
Abacino007:

Congratulations. Pls, can I PM you? I need to discuss few things with you as regards my up coming Visa interview and to get some tips from you. I will appreciate it

Please go ahead sir.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Jaybeepictures(m): 8:02am On Nov 28, 2018
doublezero7:

Please go ahead sir.

i also want to pm but I'm new here and i would love you to tell me how to go about it.thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by doublezero7(m): 8:09am On Nov 28, 2018
Jaybeepictures:

i also want to pm but I'm new here and i would love you to tell me how to go about it.thank you

Click on my 'name', it would take you to my profile. Then click on 'send message'.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Gent009: 8:15am On Nov 28, 2018
Pls guys very important what are the documents needed for clearance (CHECKPOINT) at the US embassy. Very urgent pls is birth certificate needed? Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Adhheir: 8:18am On Nov 28, 2018
Gent009:
Pls guys very important what are the documents needed for clearance (CHECKPOINT) at the US embassy. Very urgent pls is birth certificate needed? Thanks
Its not necessary, check my posts; I listed them a few pages back; the birth cert isn't really necessary
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by skido04: 8:21am On Nov 28, 2018
LagosismyHome:

sorry i made the previous comment to the wrong quote ......... i wont advice you to have 3 sponsors. it just raises a flag on afforability . if your sister is money fluid i think you can add her as well . Just note it very subjective as one VO can be ok with this and another not Ok .

Thank you very much. I appreciate
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Abacino007(m): 8:22am On Nov 28, 2018
doublezero7:

Please go ahead sir.

Done bro!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Jaybeepictures(m): 8:25am On Nov 28, 2018
Good morning brothers and sisters. please me help look at this proposed mock interview, your duly corrections ans suggestions are really welcome
Vo : Good morning
me Good morning with a smile

vo: pass me your i20 and passport
me : here you go
vo : why are you going to the US

me: I am going to the US to study for my masters in public administration with the concentration in public sector at the university of southern indiana Evansville
vo : why US and not Nigeria

me : The quality of education in the US is impeccable to none and also US where i will be studying has one of the most effective and efficient public administration in the world.. this will help shape my career.

vo : how many schools did you choose
me : i chose 3 schools..university of southern Indiana,ohio state university grandvalley state university. two schools gave me admission while I'm still waiting for the admission decision of tue third school

vo : how did you hear about the school
me : my course adviser recommended the school after which i did an extensive research on the school where i love the concentration on public sector administration because i had always wanted to focus on the public sector

vo : why did you choose usi
me : i chose usi because the mpa program in the school had the curriculum i was looking fot with plenty of courses relevant to public sector administration, the curriculum doesn't focus on the theoretical aspect alone, it Comes with alot of practical case study that is going to be useful to me in my career, the school also engage their students in internship program that will help increase their knowledge also where the school os located have a lovely weather that i can easily adapt to.

vo : what will this course do for you
me : this course will help me to consult fir public agencies in the future, i t would also hwlp me to network in the public sectior upon my return to Nigeria

vo : what are your study plans
me : i will be taking a 36credit hours for the period of 24months where i would be taking courses like introduction to public admin, research methodology in public admin, pub personnel and management, public safety and management, at the end of the program, i would earn a degree in masters in public administration.

vo : did you write any standardize test
me : no, I had my transcript evaluated by wes so the gre was waived for me by the school that my admission would be based on my academic merit and statement of purpose
vo : who is your sponsor
me: my dad, he works with the Nigeria polic force as a deputy supridendent of police in lagos and he also owns 4house properties where he generates income from as a landlord

vo :what have you been doing after graduation
me : i went for the compulsory nysc in 2016 and i passed out in 2017 after then i got a job with ceo africa as a customer care representative.
vo : what are your plans after study
me : i plan to return to nigeria to work in the public sector, lagos state sectariat to be precise, where i will Utilize all what i have learnt to contribute to solve the problems facing public administration in nigeria. will list some few problems.

vo: your visa has been aoproved..pick your passport in 3days working time.
me : thank you.

pls help me look at this cc @ lagosismyhome @100kobo

someone should help me look at this pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee��������������
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Bbyyo: 8:52am On Nov 28, 2018
Good morning fam......having prepared my documents already and about to apply for studies in USA a friend told me about this thread read a lot but am scared starting up with it.

I intend applying for a Post baccalaureate program in Oregon being that I graduated with a 3rd class degree in a basic medical field having written Gre twice my scores has been low I don't have money to further with the exams.

Please I have all documents required to apply for a post baccularate all am saying is what are my chances getting visa with that program..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by akpumping30(m): 8:55am On Nov 28, 2018
Plz house, help me .... The appointment date I see is Jan 7, and the school will resume Jan 14 , plz can I still meet up
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by 100kobo(m): 9:06am On Nov 28, 2018
Abacino007:
@lagosismyhome @100kobo, pls permit me to PM you.
Go ahead.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Adhheir: 9:07am On Nov 28, 2018
100kobo:

Go ahead.
I did too, pls reply my Pm
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by AyomsD: 9:29am On Nov 28, 2018
Judgepelumi:

Check my transcript. You might find it useful

Just checked it out. I will make amends. Thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by AyomsD: 9:30am On Nov 28, 2018
sheke01:

In my opinion, your response to "why did you choose this university" decided your fate. Your response was weak. Forget about accreditation, ranking when answering "why this school" and talk more about area of concentration, facilities, laboratories etc that your school of choice have that will help you succeed in your program and in your career afterwards.

Read successful interview transcript, prepare and refire again.

Thank you for your contribution. I will take the correction and make amends.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by 100kobo(m): 9:31am On Nov 28, 2018
Jaybeepictures:
Good morning brothers and sisters. please me help look at this proposed mock interview, your duly corrections ans suggestions are really welcome

Your response on Why USI is very shallow and would fetch you a zero score.
What are some of those courses they offer and how are they relevant to you after the program. You didn't need to talk about weather, as it's nonacademic neither was the issue of internship necessary- USI is not the only school with opportunity for internship. If I am not convinced as to why you selected USI, be sure the VO won't adjudicate your response any different.

What will this course do for you? You may need to mention in specific terms, where exactly you fit in with this degree. Mentioning "public agencies" sounds rather generic. Again, this is an opportunity to talk about the personal appeals that motivated you into this graduate program.

Post-study plans: When you mentioned "Lagos State Secretariat", you sounded too sure you'd get it. Anyway, you need to present yourself as competitive and willing to give your services to jobs that deserve your quality. I am bewildered as to why you're leaving your job with CEO Africa and switching to Lagos state Secretariat. It doesn't show purpose and consistency.

You can expect more questions including riders to the responses you provide.

Work on these...Peace!

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by AyomsD: 9:32am On Nov 28, 2018
fairheart:
It would have helped to mention the name of the firms you plan to work with. You need to work on your transcript as you plan to reapply. You really had a chance and still do on reapplication. God bless!

Thank you very much for the contribution
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by akpumping30(m): 9:46am On Nov 28, 2018
Plz house, help me .... The appointment date I see is Jan 7, and the school will resume Jan 14 , plz can I still meet up
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Olalekank(m): 9:53am On Nov 28, 2018
effissyman:
Need admission in west Virginia State University.. You can contact me.. WhatsApp/wechat: smh
cc justwise
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by aduku1(m): 9:57am On Nov 28, 2018
it will end in praise

15 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Spring2019: 10:10am On Nov 28, 2018
aduku1:
Visa approved this morning at abuja

Congrats. Please share your transcript
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Abacino007(m): 10:12am On Nov 28, 2018
100kobo:

Go ahead.

Done.
Thank you sir.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 10:19am On Nov 28, 2018
Request for expedient appointment.
akpumping30:
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by felixboye1(m): 10:23am On Nov 28, 2018
Please guys in the house. Help me peruse my intending transcript. Please let me know what to remove and what to add. Inputs from @lagosismyhome, @100kobo, @faintheart, @GboyegaD and other gurus in the house will be very appreciated.

me: Good morning

me : here they are

vo : what, where and why are you going to study in the US?
me: I am going to the US to study MA Criminal Justice at Wichita State University. It is a known fact that Criminal Justice System is vast and very effective from the law enforcement to corrections in the United States. Since my area of concentration is in correction, there is no any other better place to study and research different forms of punishments of the offenders than in the US.

vo : how many Universities did you apply to and name them. How many of them offered you admission:
me : 3. They are Wichita State University, University of South Florida and University of Denver, Colorado. All of them offered me admission.

Vo: Why settling for WSU:
Me: Three major reasons I choose WSU are: First, They have Applied Learning embedded in every program. For example, in the Criminal Justice Dept, they have Professional and Scholarly Training Program (PSTP) whereby there is innovation lab where the law enforcement agents in the Wichita area and the Criminal Justice students come to have first hand training program. Certificates are awarded sometimes. This will help me towards my professional career in Correction service.
Second, am convinced I will have a solid research foundation towards my future ambition as a doctoral student. For example, students are required to enroll in Proseminar courses on the areas of their research interest and they must be presented in public forum to earn credit.
Lastly, I am offered a 38% tuition scholarship which is automatically renewable for the second year. This will help offset part of my education cost.
The other minor reasons are that the climatic condition in Wichita is very good. It's sunny most year than even Florida and the cost of living is among the cheapest in the nation.

vo: Why were you awarded scholarship?
me: I think my transcripts and other factors were considered.

me : I was opportuned to listen to a talk from Dr Yumi Suzuki while giving conference talk sometimes ago here in Nigeria. I approached him and discuss about my need of graduate studies with integrated professional training and he told me I will surely get that from WSU.

vo : You already have a Masters degree. Why going for another Masters:
me : I got my MSc degree from NOUN. I realized after completing the program it was not research grounded. For example, no seminar course was offered. The thesis were only written and submitted. No opportunity to defend the thesis. The Universities I applied to for PhD admissions were not satisfied. A graduate coordinator even advised I re-enroll for another Masters degree. Since my objective is to earn PhD in the future upon return to Nigeria, it will be wise of me to reassess and try to re-enroll to have a solid research foundation.

me : I am an Aftercare Officer in the Nigerian Prisons Service. I observe that the best way to decongest our prison system is to embrace other non-incarceration system. For example parole and community services. Inmates with shorter jail terms like 3 months can be allowed outside the four perimeter wall to do community services to complete their terms. Since i will be gaining more knowledge on this from the MA Criminal Justice, I will be able to advise the executive management on all these knowledge gained which will help our prison decongestion.
Secondly, it will help in my career progression
Thirdly, I intend establishing an NGO which sees to prison decongestion upon my retirement from national service. The knowledge gained couple with the knowledge I will gain when I enroll for a PhD upon my return to Nigeria will help a long way in fulfilling my ambition.

vo : did you write any standardize test?
me : Yes. GRE (298) and TOEFL (86).

me: my Uncles. The first one is into an agricultural farming and the other is a building materials supplier. I will be taking a loan of #3.7m from my organization microfinance back for any other personal expenses that may arise.

me : my plan is to return back and continue my work as a correction officer. Two years Study leave with pay has been sanction for me.

Vo: Are u married?
Me: Yes

Vo: How many kids
Me: One

Vo: Why leaving them behind?
Me: My wife works with a govt parastatal so she will not be able to follow me. But she will be visiting with the kid during her annual leave later in the year.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nutshell44: 10:25am On Nov 28, 2018
akpumping30:
Plz house, help me .... The appointment date I see is Jan 7, and the
school will resume Jan 14 , plz can I still meet up
Check Abuja. There are December dates
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by 100kobo(m): 10:42am On Nov 28, 2018
felixboye1:
Please guys in the house. Help me peruse my intending transcript.

The first question on "What, where and why..."
I presume you know the question may not come in that fashion. It would have made more sense if you separated it so I can know if there's any question you are supplying more answers than necessary.

Why WSU? Your responses are okay. You may do well to leave out the minor reasons on the last paragraph.

On sponsorship... you may need to have a convincing response on why Uncles are your sponsors. Ensure to go with the necessary support documents indicating your study leave approval.

Over all, you've done a great job on your script. Work on the delivery....Go and conquer!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 10:51am On Nov 28, 2018
I was about asking why tying the 3 questions together. He should separate them and provide answer respectively. In addition to what 100Kobo has said, it is important to add that the student needs to prepare a strong response as to why it is his uncle sponsoring him and paying that large amount of money. "Why is your uncle sponsoring you?" and "What is the relationship between you and your uncle?" will likely come up--for those whose sponsor is uncle.

The overall transcript is cool, but can be improved on. Good luck!

P.S I got your message and will reply as soon as possible.

felixboye1:
Please guys in the house. Help me peruse my intending transcript. Please let me know what to remove and what to add. Inputs from @lagosismyhome, @100kobo, @faintheart, @GboyegaD and other gurus in the house will be very appreciated.

vo : what, where and why are you going to study in the US?
me: I am going to the US to study MA Criminal Justice at Wichita State University. It is a known fact that Criminal Justice System is vast and very effective from the law enforcement to corrections in the United States. Since my area of concentration is in correction, there is no any other better place to study and research different forms of punishments of the offenders than in the US.

vo : how many Universities did you apply to and name them. How many of them offered you admission:
me : 3. They are Wichita State University, University of South Florida and University of Denver, Colorado. All of them offered me admission.

Me: Three major reasons I choose WSU are: First, They have Applied Learning embedded in every program. For example, in the Criminal Justice Dept, they have Professional and Scholarly Training Program (PSTP) whereby there is innovation lab where the law enforcement agents in the Wichita area and the Criminal Justice students come to have first hand training program. Certificates are awarded sometimes. This will help me towards my professional career in Correction service.
Second, am convinced I will have a solid research foundation towards my future ambition as a doctoral student. For example, students are required to enroll in Proseminar courses on the areas of their research interest and they must be presented in public forum to earn credit.
Lastly, I am offered a 38% tuition scholarship which is automatically renewable for the second year. This will help offset part of my education cost.
The other minor reasons are that the climatic condition in Wichita is very good. It's sunny most year than even Florida and the cost of living is among the cheapest in the nation.

me : I was opportuned to listen to a talk from Dr Yumi Suzuki while giving conference talk sometimes ago here in Nigeria. I approached him and discuss about my need of graduate studies with integrated professional training and he told me I will surely get that from WSU.

me : I got my MSc degree from NOUN. I realized after completing the program it was not research grounded. For example, no seminar course was offered. The thesis were only written and submitted. No opportunity to defend the thesis. The Universities I applied to for PhD admissions were not satisfied. A graduate coordinator even advised I re-enroll for another Masters degree. Since my objective is to earn PhD in the future upon return to Nigeria, it will be wise of me to reassess and try to re-enroll to have a solid research foundation.

me : I am an Aftercare Officer in the Nigerian Prisons Service. I observe that the best way to decongest our prison system is to embrace other non-incarceration system. For example parole and community services. Inmates with shorter jail terms like 3 months can be allowed outside the four perimeter wall to do community services to complete their terms. Since i will be gaining more knowledge on this from the MA Criminal Justice, I will be able to advise the executive management on all these knowledge gained which will help our prison decongestion.
Thirdly, I intend establishing an NGO which sees to prison decongestion upon my retirement from national service. The knowledge gained couple with the knowledge I will gain when I enroll for a PhD upon my return to Nigeria will help a long way in fulfilling my ambition.

me: my Uncles. The first one is into an agricultural farming and the other is a building materials supplier. I will be taking a loan of #3.7m from my organization microfinance back for any other personal expenses that may arise.

me : my plan is to return back and continue my work as a correction officer. Two years Study leave with pay has been sanction for me.

Me: My wife works with a govt parastatal so she will not be able to follow me. But she will be visiting with the kid during her annual leave later in the year.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 10:57am On Nov 28, 2018
If you have all documents available, what are you waiting for? Let me help you allay your fear so you can start: Your dream will only come true when you take the first step. Start now while you can!
Bbyyo:
Good morning fam......having prepared my documents already and about to apply for studies in USA a friend told me about this thread read a lot but am scared starting up with it.

I intend applying for a Post baccalaureate program in Oregon being that I graduated with a 3rd class degree in a basic medical field having written Gre twice my scores has been low I don't have money to further with the exams.

Please I have all documents required to apply for a post baccularate all am saying is what are my chances getting visa with that program..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by felixboye1(m): 11:39am On Nov 28, 2018
Refined Proposed Transcript

Please guys in the house. Help me peruse my intending transcript. Please let me know what to remove and what to add. Inputs from @lagosismyhome, @100kobo, @faintheart and other gurus in the house will be very appreciated.

vo : what will you be studying in the US?
Me: I will be studying MA Criminal Justice.

Vo: At which school?
Me: Wichita State University, Kansas.

Vo: why US?
me: It is a known fact that Criminal Justice System is vast and very effective from the law enforcement to corrections in the United States. Since my area of concentration is in correction, there is no any other better place to study and research different forms of punishments of the offenders than in the US.

me: my Uncles. The first one is into an agricultural farming and the other is a building materials supplier. I will be taking a loan of #3.7m from my organization microfinance back for any other personal expenses that may arise. My superior officer advised I apply for a full tuition reimbursement from our organization upon completion of my program and return to work. Upon receipt, it will subsidies the cost of my foreign education at a great deal.

Vo: Why are your uncle's investing that much on you?
Me: They were the one who sponsored me throughout my previous education. They vowed to reciprocate the gesture of sponsoring my education because my father was the one who cater for their education and well beings when their fathers were demised. When I approached them for my intention to undergo a master degree in the US, they are more than happy to render their helping hands.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Sheq: 11:53am On Nov 28, 2018
please is there anyone applying to florida institute of technology here?

(1) (2) (3) ... (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) ... (536)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.