Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,930 members, 7,810,588 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:37 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 - Travel (438) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 (793293 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (435) (436) (437) (438) (439) (440) (441) ... (536) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fcnaxo: 6:35pm On May 07, 2019
Brown2Green:

So sorry bro.
Do you know the reason for the denial?
You'll get an approval surely.
Yh I have an idea. SOA funds weren’t enough cane with the exact figure in my 1-20. I hope seriously hoping they wouldnt ask.Close to the she asked for it. The rest is history.I saw someone posted here about appealing to the grad school via mail for some sort of funding. I just did that and I am keeping an open mind. Thank you chief.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fcnaxo: 6:36pm On May 07, 2019
LagosismyHome:

Just pick up on any weak point and recharge
. Many people got it after more than one try . Yours is coming. BELIEVE
smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 6:42pm On May 07, 2019
fcnaxo:
Yh I have an idea. SOA funds weren’t enough cane with the exact figure in my 1-20. I hope seriously hoping they wouldnt ask.Close to the she asked for it. The rest is history.I saw someone posted here about appealing to the grad school via mail for some sort of funding. I just did that and I am keeping an open mind. Thank you chief.

Also Note that you can apply for assistantship in other departments within and outside your faculty. Most people don't know this!

Few peeps have gotten assistantship in such manner.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by omilaomila(m): 6:51pm On May 07, 2019
Mine had just expired when I went to Atlanta to renew in March this year. " Expedited" took 2 weeks to arrive. Normal service is 2 months. You also have to drop a post-paid UPS envelope for mailing it back to you.

lionlee216:
Abeg my passport expires on June 25th 2019. I am planning to renew in Atlanta. Does it have to expire before i can be able to renew?

Abeg enlighten me.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by sharwama(f): 6:54pm On May 07, 2019
PRE–VISA INTERVIEW TRANSCRIPT: A NECESSARY EVIL
An article by Miss Sharwama grin
So me and my guys we are at the bar drinking beer and enjoying Mama Nkechi’s barbecue. Life is good after all. Suddenly, Remi asks me, “Babe do you like football” and I am like “Hiaaa! What kind of question is that biko? Of course I love football”
He goes further to ask “What’s your favourite team”, I smile and reply “Man. City?” Remi asks why and I respond “Because the sky is blue and Serena Williams plays for Man. City. Did you know she scored the hat trick that won them the AFCON championship!!!
Remi instantly drops his bottle of beer, snaps his fingers in surprise, the other guys are laughing out loud and me, I burst into tears, feeling so stupid. I have succeeded in convincing them that I am neither a genuine football fan nor a fan of Man. City!
This is similar to what happens when you attend a F1 visa interview unprepared and you end up not convincing the visa officer that you are a genuine student.
So why do you need a transcript? Good question!
To fill you with substance. Dieticians say we are what we eat, but in academia, we strongly believe, you are what you read, you are what you know, you are the skills you have. So the pre-interview transcript is meant to equip you with the necessary information needed to prove genuine studentship, to show that you are sound enough to deal with the rigours and academic demands of the school/program.
For example, some students applied to schools without doing intensive research, they know nothing about the requisite curriculum, they simply applied because their friend(s) did too, or because a friend got funding or because the school doesn’t require GRE or is non-selective or they read about it on Nairaland( or other media platforms) or someone suggested it.
But if such a student were to prepare a transcript, they would have to read extensively about the school, research more on the program, courses to be taken before completing the degree, and be able to answer why they chose it, why that school or program stood out for them or even why they chose the country! They would be able to talk about their career goals and future plans? Do you see where this is going? Information is power!
So yes, the transcript is a necessary evil. It is evil because most students end up cramming it, regurgitating it word for word, back to back and when they are asked what is not on the transcript, they begin to fumble and stutter ( they never expected it).
Now, I must draw attention to this truth: knowing what to say is never as important as how you say it (your body language, your tone/pitch), how you sell the pieces of information. So knowledge is important but the ultimate test is the delivery. This is why I don’t support schools in Nigeria offering first class graduates lecturing position simply because of their intellectual capability. It is one thing to know, it another to teach/express what you know. Do you see how important delivery is?
Again and again, the transcript is neither to be crammed nor memorized. Every VO can tell the difference between a human and a robot. The transcript is meant to be your compass, pointing you in the right direction, helping you stay on course. It is meant to be your flashlight if you ever encounter any darkness. It is NOT the Alpha and Omega of your interview.
The transcript is meant to boost your confidence and NOT BE YOUR CONFIDENCE, it is meant to resonate the can-do spirit within you. It is meant to ginger your swagger so when you are on that queue even if the persons ahead of you got denied, your morale will still be high. Yes, you have done your homework!
Ultimately, on the day of your interview, please remind yourself, you already have SUBSTANCE; you just need to have a CONVERSATION. Most people love a good conversation and sometimes we go to bed with a big smile on our face, simply because we remembered an amazing conversation we had with someone earlier. BELIEVE in yourself, BREATHE, LOOK, SMILE, CONVERSE.
May the force be with you!
Written by the girl who‘s yet to have a conversation with the VO.
Inspired by anxiety grin

20 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 6:58pm On May 07, 2019
I was about asking the same.
LagosismyHome:

Humm but who laughed and mocked you..... u sure?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 6:59pm On May 07, 2019
Yes
Schrodinger22:

Please, anyone?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 7:00pm On May 07, 2019
sharwama:
So me and my guys we are at the bar drinking beer and enjoying Mama Nkechi’s barbecue. Life is good after all. Suddenly, Remi asks me, “Babe do you like football” and I am like “Hiaaa! What kind of question is that biko? Of course I love football”
He goes further to ask “What’s your favourite team”, I smile and reply “Man. City?” Remi asks why and I respond “Because the sky is blue and Serena Williams plays for Man. City. Did you know she scored the hat trick that won them the AFCON championship!!!
Remi instantly drops his bottle of beer, snaps his fingers in surprise, the other guys are laughing out loud and me, I burst into tears, feeling so stupid. I have succeeded in convincing them that I am neither a genuine football fan nor a fan of Man. City!
This is similar to what happens when you attend a F1 visa interview unprepared and you end up not convincing the visa officer that you are a genuine student.
To fill you with substance. Dieticians say we are what we eat, but in academia, we strongly believe, you are what you read, you are what you know, you are the skills you have. So the pre-interview transcript is meant to equip you with the necessary information needed to prove genuine studentship, to show that you are sound enough to deal with the rigours and academic demands of the school/program.
For example, some students applied to schools without doing intensive research, they know nothing about the requisite curriculum, they simply applied because their friend(s) did too, or because a friend got funding or because the school doesn’t require GRE or is non-selective or they read about it on Nairaland( or other media platforms) or someone suggested it.
But if such a student were to prepare a transcript, they would have to read extensively about the school, research more on the program, courses to be taken before completing the degree, and be able to answer why they chose it, why that school or program stood out for them or even why they chose the country! They would be able to talk about their career goals and future plans? Do you see where this is going? Information is power!
So yes, the transcript is a necessary evil. It is evil because most students end up cramming it, regurgitating it word for word, back to back and when they are asked what is not on the transcript, they begin to fumble and stutter ( they never expected it).
Now, I must draw attention to this truth: knowing what to say is never as important as how you say it (your body language, your tone/pitch), how you sell the pieces of information. So knowledge is important but the ultimate test is the delivery. This is why I don’t support schools in Nigeria offering first class graduates lecturing position simply because of their intellectual capability. It is one thing to know, it another to teach/express what you know. Do you see how important delivery is?
Again and again, the transcript is neither to be crammed nor memorized. Every VO can tell the difference between a human and a robot. The transcript is meant to be your compass, pointing you in the right direction, helping you stay on course. It is meant to be your flashlight if you ever encounter any darkness. It is NOT the Alpha and Omega of your interview.
The transcript is meant to boost your confidence and NOT BE YOUR CONFIDENCE, it is meant to resonate the can-do spirit within you. It is meant to ginger your swagger so when you are on that queue even if the persons ahead of you got denied, your morale will still be high. Yes, you have done your homework!
Ultimately, on the day of your interview, please remind yourself, you already have SUBSTANCE; you just need to have a CONVERSATION. Most people love a good conversation and sometimes we go to bed with a big smile on our face, simply because we remembered an amazing conversation we had with someone earlier. BELIEVE in yourself, BREATHE, LOOK, SMILE, CONVERSE.
Inspired by anxiety grin

I know most of this is spoken to self. But I got this loud and clear.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 7:01pm On May 07, 2019
AH! My queen! AH! cheesy Only you!
sharwama:
Inspired by anxiety grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fairheart(m): 7:02pm On May 07, 2019
Message well-received. I will help you touch the stuff and send it back.
Sheq:
Good evening sir ..kindly check your pm please. Its regarding statement of purpose.. Thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by lionlee216(m): 7:26pm On May 07, 2019
omilaomila:
Mine had just expired when I went to Atlanta to renew in March this year. " Expedited" took 2 weeks to arrive. Normal service is 2 months. You also have to drop a post-paid UPS envelope for mailing it back to you.

Pardon my ignorance, how do i do the post paid UPS envelope of a thing and i will like to put put signature required delivery on it.

My biometrics is 3 weeks time
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Oasishavenng: 7:37pm On May 07, 2019
fcnaxo:
via Mail. Thank You for all of you post here tho

What the heck, are you serious. It is well. You will get your Visa don't beat yourself up about it. Cheers
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by walepepe21: 7:37pm On May 07, 2019
]Let me first thank all the beautiful people on this platform...it was just by God's grace ..My interview went well yesterday and my visa was approved
I got GTA for my msc program which covers the full tuition fee for the duration of the program as well as monthly stipend

My interview yesterday went below.

Me: Good morning
VO: Good morning pass me your documents
Me: gave her the required documents

VO: how did you hear abt the university
Me: i first heard about the University during my undergraduate days through my lecturer who attended geoscience conference in the school, upon her return, she would not stop talking about the quality of academic research in the university (vo cut in)
VO: Do you have relatives over there?
Me: No No No ( I said that like 4 times)
VO: what other universities do you apply to?
Me: I applied to university of Wyoming, university of Wisconsin
VO: why this uni
ME: I'm interested in prof..... ongoing research project, this research project aligns with area of my research interest, the research is focusing on contamination and remediation of groundwater ( VO cut in) I was about saying contamination of groundwater is one of the environmental challenges in Nigeria today
VO : Did you write GRE
Me: yes
VO: your score
Me: 278
VO: what will you be doing as a graduate assistant?
Me: I will be assisting the lecturer in the preparation of course materials, I will also be assisting in marking and grading of assignments and tests (VO..cut in)
VO: when did you finish undergraduate?
Me: 2015
VO: which University?
Me: Ekiti State University
VO: what have you been doing since then
Me: I completed my NYSC 2016-2017 at national universities commission, immediately after that I got teaching job where I teach physics and geography at...... International group of school ( VO cut in is it secondary school? I said yes) I got my present job at.... Geophysical services Limited, I work as field geologist
VO: what's your plans after the degree?
Me: I intend to come back to Nigeria upon the completion of the program, I will have acquired adequate research knowledge as well as practical and field knowledge to enable me take up lecturing and research position in my alma mater (VO cut in)
VO: your visa has been approved, take your I-20 form ,you will need at the port of entry.. Take this white paper and collect your visa in three business days in the location where I circled
Me : I was like thanks thanks more that six times

My remark... VO didn't ask about how I got the scholarship ? She didnt ask about the SOA because I have deficit of 2780
Above all pray for favour and mercy of God.. Then always listen to whoever being interviewed before you. So that you can learn from their mistakes.

Congratulations Boss grin���

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fcnaxo: 7:39pm On May 07, 2019
Brown2Green:

Also Note that you can apply for assistantship in other departments within and outside your faculty. Most people don't know this!

Few peeps have gotten assistantship in such manner.

huh? Other departments? Kindly shed more light
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by sharwama(f): 7:42pm On May 07, 2019
My Lord grin
I am nothing but a pencil in the hand of the Creator grin

fairheart:
AH! My queen! AH! cheesy Only you!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by sharwama(f): 7:44pm On May 07, 2019
How did you even know grin grin grin
Thank you so much.

Brown2Green:

I know most of this is spoken to self. But I got this loud and clear.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by sharwama(f): 7:49pm On May 07, 2019
I'm really sorry you had to go through that, you deserve better.
I love how you were honest about what happened, how you are getting ready to refire. I am rooting for you my friend.
Like dust you shall rise
Like dough you shall rise
Like Garri you shall rise
Let's go get that visa!!!

fcnaxo:
via Mail. Thank You for all of you post here tho

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by naira0(m): 7:52pm On May 07, 2019
fcnaxo:
lol I remembered u. The guy on blazers with first class u kept mentioning first class first class. To avoid stories that touch. Congrats tho
Really? And he didn't even mention any first class kini ko in his transcript? That transcript is not complete. @ToluwalekeA kindly take it back and moderate your transcriptgringringrin

That was on a lighter note. Congrats to you @ToluwalekeA

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 7:58pm On May 07, 2019
fcnaxo:
huh? Other departments? Kindly shed more light

You can send an application for GA/TA/RA to GCs of other departments in your school. Even to Graduate school.

You might just be a perfect fit for one of em openings.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Oasishavenng: 7:59pm On May 07, 2019
senny4ril2424:
Let me first thank all the beautiful people on this platform...it was just by God's grace ..My interview went well yesterday and my visa was approved
I got GTA for my msc program which covers the full tuition fee for the duration of the program as well as monthly stipend

My interview yesterday went below.

Me: Good morning
VO: Good morning pass me your documents
Me: gave her the required documents

VO: how did you hear abt the university
Me: i first heard about the University during my undergraduate days through my lecturer who attended geoscience conference in the school, upon her return, she would not stop talking about the quality of academic research in the university (vo cut in)
VO: Do you have relatives over there?
Me: No No No ( I said that like 4 times)
VO: what other universities do you apply to?
Me: I applied to university of Wyoming, university of Wisconsin
VO: why this uni
ME: I'm interested in prof..... ongoing research project, this research project aligns with area of my research interest, the research is focusing on contamination and remediation of groundwater ( VO cut in) I was about saying contamination of groundwater is one of the environmental challenges in Nigeria today
VO : Did you write GRE
Me: yes
VO: your score
Me: 278
VO: what will you be doing as a graduate assistant?
Me: I will be assisting the lecturer in the preparation of course materials, I will also be assisting in marking and grading of assignments and tests (VO..cut in)
VO: when did you finish undergraduate?
Me: 2015
VO: which University?
Me: Ekiti State University
VO: what have you been doing since then
Me: I completed my NYSC 2016-2017 at national universities commission, immediately after that I got teaching job where I teach physics and geography at...... International group of school ( VO cut in is it secondary school? I said yes) I got my present job at.... Geophysical services Limited, I work as field geologist
VO: what's your plans after the degree?
Me: I intend to come back to Nigeria upon the completion of the program, I will have acquired adequate research knowledge as well as practical and field knowledge to enable me take up lecturing and research position in my alma mater (VO cut in)
VO: your visa has been approved, take your I-20 form ,you will need at the port of entry.. Take this white paper and collect your visa in three business days in the location where I circled
Me : I was like thanks thanks more that six times

My remark... VO didn't ask about how I got the scholarship ? She didnt ask about the SOA because I have deficit of 2780
Above all pray for favour and mercy of God.. Then always listen to whoever being interviewed before you. So that you can learn from their mistakes

congratulations
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 8:01pm On May 07, 2019
sharwama:
How did you even know grin grin grin
Thank you so much.

I read between the lines. And I can tell you're doing awesomely well. I want to eat pizza to your ur approval.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by ToluwalekeA: 8:02pm On May 07, 2019
fcnaxo:
lol I remembered u. The guy on blazers with first class u kept mentioning first class first class. To avoid stories that touch. Congrats tho

lol.�� abi nah wetin man go do. was ur visa approved
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by emhenzy: 8:06pm On May 07, 2019
That’s true.. you were there too? Cos I was there as well. The black lady interviewed me

naira0:

Really? And he didn't even mention any first class kini ko in his transcript? That transcript is not complete. @ToluwalekeA kindly take it back and moderate your transcriptgringringrin

That was on a lighter note. Congrats to you @ToluwalekeA
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by naira0(m): 8:11pm On May 07, 2019
emhenzy:
That’s true.. you were there too? Cos I was there as well. The black lady interviewed me

You must have seen my lookalike, not megrin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 8:14pm On May 07, 2019
emhenzy:

The dreaded black lady
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by toluene1234: 8:31pm On May 07, 2019
Good evening all,

Please I urgently need your advice and contribution. I was filling my DS 160, i saw a portion that ask if anyone will be travelling with me? I obviously want my spouse to travel with me may be later in the year she joins me. I tick YES for that portion.
On my I-20 my dependent spouse estimated expenses wasn't included, my school reprinted another I-20 which included my dependent estimated expenses I.e I have two I-20 forms. Concerning home ties, should I use the 1st I-20 without spouse estimated expenses for my interview knowingfully well that I have ticked YES for spouse travelling with me or I should just go with the second I-20 with estimated expenses or i should not tick YES for anyone travelling with me? How do I now deal with home ties in this regards.

Please I need your insight, experiences on this issue.
@lagosismyhome, @walspring @texim and others with similar experience.
Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fcnaxo: 8:33pm On May 07, 2019
Brown2Green:

You can send an application for GA/TA/RA to GCs of other departments in your school. Even to Graduate school.

You might just be a perfect fit for one of em openings.
can I send u a mail privately?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fcnaxo: 8:34pm On May 07, 2019
sharwama:
I'm really sorry you had to go through that, you deserve better.
I love how you were honest about what happened, how you are getting ready to refire. I am rooting for you my friend.
Like dust you shall rise
Like dough you shall rise
Like Garri you shall rise
Let's go get that visa!!!

A babe! I like your kinda person. I wud really wanna meet u someday tho. Thank you yho

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Sheq: 9:24pm On May 07, 2019
fairheart:
Message well-received. I will help you touch the stuff and send it back.
Thank you very very much! God bless you sir! Thank you

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Kendrix69(m): 9:24pm On May 07, 2019
fcnaxo:
A babe! I like your kinda person. I wud really wanna meet u someday tho. Thank you yho
A spec abi?...naso e dey start[/color] wink[color=#006600]
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Sheq: 9:27pm On May 07, 2019
afeezzezo:

I know right dear!
I just wanna compare to what i have seen
More reason i am asking
I am new to this, can you just guide me dear?
forensic...where are you now...send me a pm ...let me discuss all i have found with you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by sharwama(f): 9:37pm On May 07, 2019
Yes!!!
I look forward to it, brace up for impact grin
Thank you once again.

Brown2Green:

I read between the lines. And I can tell you're doing awesomely well. I want to eat pizza to your ur approval.

(1) (2) (3) ... (435) (436) (437) (438) (439) (440) (441) ... (536)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.