Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,991 members, 7,814,382 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:01 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 - Travel (498) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 (794459 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (495) (496) (497) (498) (499) (500) (501) ... (536) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Jphils: 11:36am On May 26, 2019
Time2win:

There is no harm in saying you applied to schools in other countries. Just be ready to why USA and not other countries.

Thanks Time2win for your response. But any advice on the part where i only applied to one university in the US. Should i apply to more to make up for numbers or will i be fine if i just mention that i applied to this one that offered me the admission?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by dwilliams707: 11:40am On May 26, 2019
Happy Sunday everyone,I want to know if I can go ahead and pay for my sevis fee,I’m awaiting my 1-20 currently and I have my Sevis ID,can I go ahead with this?thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 11:44am On May 26, 2019
Jphils:

Thanks Time2win for your response. But any advice on the part where i only applied to one university in the US. Should i apply to more to make up for numbers or will i be fine if i just mention that i applied to this one that offered me the admission?

I won't be the one to tell you to lie about the number of schools you applied to. Just so you know, many that applied to one school and told the V.O that, got their visa. Some V.O might see you as an unserious fellow if you applied to only one school as you can't predict the outcome of admissions or the school is an easy school to get admission from, example is Lincoln university/Virginia International University a.k.a Visa mill schools. It all depends on how you table your case to the V.O. If you table your case well, you will get your visa approved. Some people that applied to 15 schools have been refused visa, so it's not by the number schools you applied to. Best is to be sincere and be ready to prove anything you say to the V.O. if you lie, they might request for the admission letter. Some do lie and get free. Just be ready.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 11:44am On May 26, 2019
dwilliams707:
Happy Sunday everyone,I want to know if I can go ahead and pay for my sevis fee,I’m awaiting my 1-20 currently and I have my Sevis ID,can I go ahead with this?thanks.

Since you have your sevis ID, you can go ahead and pay your sevis fee

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Jphils: 12:04pm On May 26, 2019
Time2win:

I won't be the one to tell you to lie about the number of schools you applied to. Just so you know, many that applied to one school and told the V.O that, got their visa. Some V.O might see you as an unserious fellow if you applied to only one school as you can't predict the outcome of admissions or the school is an easy school to get admission from, example is Lincoln university/Virginia International University a.k.a Visa mill schools. It all depends on how you table your case to the V.O. If you table your case well, you will get your visa approved. Some people that applied to 15 schools have been refused visa, so it's not by the number schools you applied to. Best is to be sincere and be ready to prove anything you say to the V.O. if you lie, they might request for the admission letter. Some do lie and get free. Just be ready.

Thanks so much, this has allayed my fears. I'll definitely stick to the one school i applied to then. You never know what these people already know about you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by orimahspence: 12:26pm On May 26, 2019
TWoods:

I'm not arguing with "god", simply disabusing the false notion here that getting a visa is a sign of "god" being on your side. Genesis 39:2 is instructive... most of you are simply christians of convenience.

Dear Twood, again, If someone tells you that their success comes as a result of God's grace, the least you can do is respect that. If you do know from whence their success came, then why bother to argue it?

You're welcome to believe that your success is entirely about you and your efforts; that's fine. But do not belittle and throw snide remarks at the next guy's success story just because it does not sit well with your narrative.

So perhaps you say there is no God , you must at least recognise that whatever elements control the world must have moved in your favour to seal that big achievement. Let's start with the talent with which you were born. What efforts did u make to secure that talent for yourself Oh, good genes, right? Just how much maths did you do to decide whose genes you'd inherit in the birthing process? You must recognise that something outside of your control did bestow you with that talent.

Now looking at spheres within our control, I want to believe that life must at least have taught you that the best prepared, the most hardworking, and even the most talented, do not always come out number one. Life is not that simple.

If someone decides to recognise the role of the elements in their success in what ever form, it is not foolishness in anyway; some may even call it self-awareness!!!

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by solihp(f): 12:44pm On May 26, 2019
What's with all the long responses to his messages. If I were you guys, I will just ignore his posts, cause there's just no point replying. Also, engaging him will bring more conflict to the thread.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by edave: 2:14pm On May 26, 2019
Happy Sunday guz ...abeg if person fill Nigeria society of engineers as professional body I av contributed to on my ds 160..hope dem no fit deyy tackle me if only I participate in my undergraduate dayz
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 2:33pm On May 26, 2019
edave:
Happy Sunday guz ...abeg if person fill Nigeria society of engineers as professional body I av contributed to on my ds 160..hope dem no fit deyy tackle me if only I participate in my undergraduate dayz

You are an engineer, so why are you so worried? Just try and be a graduate member at least (if you ain't one already).....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Stanmedix: 2:36pm On May 26, 2019
Chiezzh:
Hey 2019 ETSU FALL APPLiCANT hit me up ! Got some good new ! I am a current student
I am already admitted. Interview next month. Will be happy to get all necessary information both for the interview and live at ETSU. Thanks

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by kacey007: 3:15pm On May 26, 2019
Chiezzh:
Hey 2019 ETSU FALL APPLiCANT hit me up ! Got some good new ! I am a current student

What's up?
Shawarma, where are thou?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by hwfwl: 3:33pm On May 26, 2019
I have observed something on this thread just like every social medium online, and this is the urge to argue.
Especially because it is a faceless forum, the urge to hurl insults increases, a shameful tendency indeed.

A lot of persons here who find it easy to subtly insult others and aggressively shut them down while neglecting the basic rules of faceless discussions which is to tackle the issue at hand objectively do not and cannot do the same thing if they were to see these persons in real life, and this is simply because it immediately becomes unnecessary and this person might either be bigger than you, older than you or you just find out they are not in your social bracket to have discussions with, talkless of throwing insultive and derogatory remarks at them. Ask yourself; do I talk this recklessly at work? with colleagues? Getting aggressive and bitter at every difference in opinions?

For all nairalanders who comment regularly and are determined to help others with the best information possible, you must know this, the secret to effective communication is to be assertive, presenting proofs when need be and also letting others know when a particular statement is your opinion and not necessarily a rule or fact. And I know this is what most of you do but with one very important quality lacking in your conversations and this is the ability to ignore distractions. Noises and baits that comes regularly from those that will distract you from offering your advices to those that needs them really and urgently.

In less than two lines you can detect one whose aim is just to argue and call for attention rather than tackling an issue that's important, and to those persons why can't you just ignore them? Do you think you can change the mind of a person who lives on the strengthening of his/her ego and attention gotten from arguments on a platform such as this? Even if you can, is this the right place for that?

By all means just ignore, focus especially on the person who has asked a question and answer them to your best knowledge and then ignore the rest. Once it is not an objective question or a call for clarifications of what you have said , then ignore. This takes the power out of the tempter and his or her calls for attention.

This is the cultivation of detachment, patience and non resistance.

Be focused, identify the major reasons for this forum and once an argument derails from these, especially when it is useless and leads nowhere just stop. Don't be too much attached to your own opinions and then feel obliged to defend it anytime someone else attacks the opinion, your opinion is not you.

Let him continue to struggle with the opinions, even if you are wrong no need to defend yourself, just watch as ego rules the lives of many. A lot are looking for people to fight, argue with and oppose, you don't have to nominate yourself for his or her cause. Those people are also easily recognisable either through their constant seeking for attention, talking without really offering a solution to the question at hand or the use of insultive words when passing information or opinions and this is done as soon as they find a target/victim of their egoic pursuits.

Read my questions
Consider my specific case
Ask me for clarifications of certain points
Answer me to the best of your knowledge
Give me the supporting facts if required
And the relevant opinions from your rich experience
Answer further questions and clarifications of your points
Ignore the pig!
Ignore the pig!
Learn to ignore the pig !!

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.
George Bernard Shaw

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Anodyne(f): 4:11pm On May 26, 2019
Expert in the house please help me out with this. Thanks!

Why Ms chemistry?
It has challenging to get noticed in the labour market with an undergraduate degree, most employers in Nigeria finds an advance degree extremely attractive and appealing. MS chemistry will open so many doors of unlimited opportunities in eclectic fields like FMCG(Do I need to be specific?) govermental agencies,forensic, health and research institute when i arrive in the country. The MSC chemistry will also equipe me with the scientific and experimental skills to function confidently as a quality control analyst in other to help eliminate outmoded products that has flooded the country. (will give the VO an anecdote on a particular product I consumed that almost disfigured lips and also how my pop consumed a fruit juice that got his digestive system disorganized)
Finally, with this degree i will also get to revive my small scale manufacturing business that has been on hold.(before I started I was into production of disinfectant, soaps&detergent, and hair cream)

So what are your plans after you've gotten this degree?

I have a very few different path that I'm considering, but first I will work for some couple of years. Perhaps, 3-4years to familiarize myself with the industry and gain enough experience so that I can contribute positively towards improving human health, environment and industry in my country. Then continue my small scale processing company,and eventually expand it in the nearest future. That was how dangote & co started.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Ifesinachi22(m): 4:32pm On May 26, 2019
Predstan:

You don’t need anyone to tell you why you were denied.. GRE is for graduate Applicants. You already have a degree so you should go for MSc mechanical engineering

Someone with HND nko?

What should he go for?

Degree or Masters?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Johnolukolade(m): 4:40pm On May 26, 2019
Ifesinachi22:

Someone with HND nko?
What should he go for?
Degree or Masters?
HND?!! You should go for a masters degree.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Alfarrouk: 4:58pm On May 26, 2019
Thank you very much

fairheart:
Make sure you have all the basic and required document with you. Sevis Fee confirmation receipt, GTB visa fee receipt, I-20 (signed and dated), appointment confirmation, DS160 confirmation, 2 passport photograph of the same you uploaded online, scholarship letter (if any), test score result printout (in case the consular wish to see, which is rare), sponsor official bank statement. That is all.

Wish you the best!

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Alfarrouk: 5:01pm On May 26, 2019
i have been denied visa once and had to defer my admission. I am now reapplying, if asked by the VO, how many schools I applied to, do i respond with the number of schools i applied to the first i was denied or i can simply say just the one i had to defer my admission for?

thank You
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 5:05pm On May 26, 2019
Alfarrouk:
i have been denied visa once and had to defer my admission. I am now reapplying, if asked by the VO, how many schools I applied to, do i respond with the number of schools i applied to the first i was denied or i can simply say just the one i had to defer my admission for?

thank You

How is this a confusing question? Say the number of schools you applied to. Why confusing yourself

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Ayo199(m): 5:07pm On May 26, 2019
pls I HV few questions o
1. can I use someone in the US as sponsor?
2. if you let the VO's know you have a relative or know someone in the US, would it in any way affect your chances?
3. What's the minimum amount that has to be in the account of ones sponsor??
Thanks in adv
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 5:21pm On May 26, 2019
Ayo199:
pls I HV few questions o
1. can I use someone in the US as sponsor?
2. if you let the VO's know you have a relative or know someone in the US, would it in any way affect your chances?
3. What's the minimum amount that has to be in the account of ones sponsor??
Thanks in adv

You can claim to have a relative and get a nod as far as the relative is in status. Else there will be issues.
I saw a transcript of a girl that was denied 4 times because she filled her sister's details on the DS 160 who happened to be in OPT (she had not returned to Nigeria after her grad school.)

They might ask how the person acquired citizenship if the person is a citizen.
In essence, you MUST have substantial details about the person and the VO can pull the person's details from the database, just so you know.

What do you mean by minimum amount?
What is your deficit? That's what the VO works with.
The closing balance of the statement of account must not be less than your deficit
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Dalmakz: 5:29pm On May 26, 2019
Please i would like to keep in touch with you. Are you at University of Louisiana Lafayette??
xdamson:

Congrats and Welcome to Louisiana, Im at Uni of Louisiana.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Ifesinachi22(m): 5:39pm On May 26, 2019
Johnolukolade:

HND?!! You should go for a masterps degree.

I was thinking they will not accept it.
I didn't do well. I had a Pass.

How do i go about this?
What are the first steps i take?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Johnolukolade(m): 6:08pm On May 26, 2019
Ifesinachi22:

How do i go about this?
Did you do well enough at the ND level? The first step is to evaluate your transcripts. Evaluate both the ND and HND, I believe WES would give a good outcome. WES is an agency and you can check wes.org to know more about them and what you need to get the process started. Best of luck my friend, don't let anything or anyone scare you away from your aspirations... Also, have a very reliable Faith in GOD. A Pass won't stop you from attaining that greatness.

What program did you study and what do you want to study?

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Predstan: 6:22pm On May 26, 2019
Ifesinachi22:

How do i go about this?

Did you do well in your ND? Can you go get a PGD here in Nigeria to Augment your pass grade? US schools look more into the last two years transcripts so your Hnd might not be good enough. I advise you get a one year PGD and evaluate the certificates(ND,HND,PGD) with the world Education Services(WES). You would have a lot of advantages than even a bsc holder. You would have gotten more credit than a BSC holder and knowing fully well why u need the PGD should motivate you into getting higher grades.

Best of Luck

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 7:00pm On May 26, 2019
yuscodguy:

You are correct a corporate America citizen in an official environment will never use such words on you.

People are bee sue for that, I undergo a training for something like this before I started working as a graduate teaching assistant in my school.

Yes, you are correct! A Dean in one US university was recently forced to resign for using harsh words on students. You don't try that in Corporate America.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 7:03pm On May 26, 2019
Time2win:

Yeah... Same way, Harvard is not good for engineering.

Hahaha, no go talk this one for public o

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 7:18pm On May 26, 2019
bracelum:

Hahaha, no go talk this one for public o

I will say it over and over again. Are you an engineering student abi you are master of all fields?

12 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by walex2bad(m): 7:34pm On May 26, 2019
edave:
Pls help me vet dis transcript
vo: good morning
me: good morning
vo: pass me ur doc.
me: pass it
vo: why re going to pvamu
me: to obtain my masters in electrical engineering
vo:why pvamu
Me:I am interested in research related to smart grid due to Nigeria's power instability and PVAMU has state of the art facility in smart microgrid innovation also I am excited with the course structure i will b offering courses from all d tracks in electrical engineering..I will be taking 6 unit courses in power system nd control, 6 unit courses in communication nd signal processing, 3 unit in computer track nd 3 unit in microelectronics track
vo : what re d couses u will b taking
me: power system fault nd protective relayin .......
Vo: hw many school do u apply to
me: 2
vo: name dem
me: SDSM&T, PVAMU
Vo: how do u hear abt PVAMU
me: I did an extensive online research on graduate school offering Power system nd control specialization in electrical engineering nd I came across PVAMU
Vo: what will dis course do 4 u
me : it will equip me with the ryt skill set and knowledge to provide improvments to Nigeria's power sector
Vo : who's sponsoring you
me : my uncle
vo : what does he do
me: he's a contractor
vo : can I have his SOA
me :pass it
vo : do u do any standardized test
me: yes I did GRE(297)
Vo: pass me d white paper...u visa have been approved.....bla bla bla

Congratulations Sir. I came across this thread amd saw your post. I studied electrical and electronics engineering, I'm currently undergoing the compulsory service year. I majored in Power systems and machines. I'd like to know what process to go through to get admitted for a masters in this school you applied to. What's the tuition. And what are the necessary requirements. I'll really appreciate your guidance and feedback. Thanks in anticipation
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 7:36pm On May 26, 2019
Time2win:

I will say it over and over again. Are you an engineering student abi you are master of all fields?

Lol, Harvard's Engineering is ranked among the top 25 in the US. But they still attract better talent than a lot of schools placed higher than them. A look at their class profiles will tell you. So, don't say what you don't know.

Harvard is Harvard dude! The brand and the network there covers you even if you study the least marketable course.

A top 25 school is an elite school, not a bad school

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 7:43pm On May 26, 2019
bracelum:

Lol, Harvard's Engineering is ranked among the top 25 in the US. But they still attract better talent than a lot of schools placed higher than them. A look at their class profiles will tell you. So, don't say what you don't know.

Harvard is Harvard dude! The brand and the network there covers you even if you study the least marketable course.

A top 25 school is an elite school, not a bad school

For a school ranked number 1 in USA to be ranked 21 in engineering shows that they are not really good in it. Don't come here and preach epistle. I have friends there and those in MIT too. By the way I am an engineering student, I know what I am saying with the research i have done.

Harvard is a big name on its own and that's the glory they are using. Also they have few engineering programs (about 3 or so). Engineering is not for them

10 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 7:55pm On May 26, 2019
Time2win:

For a school ranked number 1 in USA to be ranked 21 in engineering shows that they are not really good in it. Don't come here and preach epistle. I have friends there and those in MIT too. By the way I am an engineering student, I know what I am saying with the research i have done.

Harvard is a big name on its own and that's the glory they are using. Also they have few engineering programs. Engineering is not for them

A number 1 ranked school does not mean they are the best in all fields. In the US, there are liberal arts universities, engineering universities and natural science universities. Liberal arts universities have the best social science programs but not as good science/engineering programs. Same applies to every other university in every bracket.

There is no US university that is the best on all three fronts. Each university chooses to focus where their strength lies

So, I don't see an issue with Harvard having strong liberal arts programs and still being among the top 25 engineering schools. It doesn't still stop them from being the best university in the US (alongside Stanford). You can never be a master of everything. Again, top 25 in the US is still very good for a university that doesn't focus much on engineering as they do in other areas.

Again, there are some companies that recruit oncampus from Harvard's Engineering school that do not recruit at some of the schools ranked higher. Harvard is Harvard - the brand is always there!

Despite that, the engineering school at Harvard still attracts better talent than most of the engineering schools ranked between 10th and 20th. In fact, there are some graduate programs at Harvard Engineering with average GRE scores around 330 (this data is not on their website but from my own research). A lot of schools ranked higher cannot boast of this statistics

The fact that you're an engineering student doesn't mean you know engineering programs in the US better than me. I do my research and I don't talk trash.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (495) (496) (497) (498) (499) (500) (501) ... (536)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.