Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,892 members, 7,817,625 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:46 PM

Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students (27005 Views)

These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB / UK To Begin Investigating Universities/lecturers Who Award Below 2.1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 7:49pm On Aug 22, 2018
arrestdarrester:

Thrash. Absolute thrash. Go and check O'level maths results of intending medical and engineering students. Also check the physics and chemistry jamb scores of medicine and engineering candidates since those are the common subjects they sit together for in jamb. Am sure this your beef is borne out of not being able to secure admission to read medicine

Once again,it's "I'm" or "I am "

Been*
We are not talking about state of being.
It happened in the past,therefore, past tense of the verb should be used.

Your punctuation still sucks,dear graduate.
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by neymer: 7:59pm On Aug 22, 2018
This is a welcome development.the difference is always clear
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Hearme(m): 9:50pm On Aug 22, 2018
More information. 100 level is regarded as Pre-Medical School spent in the faculty of science learning Chemistry, Physics and Biology majorly. At 200L they move to the Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences were they learn the basics, mechanisms and other scientific backgrounds that help them with the understanding of the Science of Medicine. At 400Level they migrate to the Faculty of clinical Sciences where the training from the scientific bases is translated to the Art of Medical practice. The week students are weeded at Basic Sciences. The problems I have identified is that many young doctors of our days want more of the Art of Medical practice than the Science behind it. The two are important but the science helps faster. The reason many Drs fail the primary exams is because it takes you back to the basics in which some don't like. We should as a country employ more consultants who will teach and impact students at the clinical sciences than fight for relevance at the basic sciences. Private practice should also be reduced such that these consultants can train their students well. The government should also invest in biotechnology to open up opportunities for researchers in the basic sciences asides their roles in NIMR, NAFDAC and other industries. As it stands, there is no single company producing as simple as ELISA kits is in Nigeria.

You can imagine the market in hormonal assays on fertility alone, this will bring down the cost of importation. I also blame the NUC for schools that over admit students. This is common with state Universities who present different list of students to the accrediting committees. This can be monitored with the new JAMB registrars policies. Those courses are very relevant to the advancement of Science and Medical practice but like every other course or profession in Nigeria including Medicine, poor funding has been a great concern. I remember those days when people are asked to study Zoology and Botany how they feel very bad and dejected but today things are changing, the fields of parasitology and fisheries are very lucrative. Also i can tell you that UNILAG has produced 2 Vice Chancellors from the Department of Botany and you can also tell the course our immediate past president studied. The MIND IS VERY IMPORTANT THIS DAYS, how you translate the knowledge acquired into an efficient service that serves you well and bring money to your table is what is going on now. LETS PUSH FOR A BETTER FUNDING OF EDUCATION AND WE WILL SEE A BETTER NATION.

monex:

you have put it well. Some others made it seem those with PhD's in anatomy were lesser or not knowledgeable enough to teach medical students.

Your post does well to explain that while that might have useful breadth and depth of knowledge, they lack the clinical experience to help relate the basic medical sciences to clinical practices for the medical students.

2 Likes

Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Ugosample(m): 10:20pm On Aug 22, 2018
Acidosis:
To achieve this, you need to scrap B.Sc. Anatomy, B.Sc. Medical Biochemistry, B.Sc. Physiology, B.Sc. Pharmacology and other Basic Medical Sciences aside Nursing at the undergraduate levels.

They have become useless courses with no clear direction as to what graduates in those fields are trained to do in the current day Nigeria.

Whoever is considering the above courses with the hope of pursuing a career in the medical field should better have a rethink. An OND in Computer Science is way better.

More than 85% of graduates in those fields are now Marketers and Sales Rep with half baked Indian pharmaceutical companies. The entire Basic Medical Courses should be phased out and reinvented to: Pharmaceutics and Medical Sales. Nigeria don't have a job for you in the medical field, the few ones you have, you won't progress even if you're willing to lick the a$$es of egocentric people. Even your Ph.D won't help you. To a typical Nigerian Doctor, an MBBS is greater than a Ph.D.
Ph.D holders without MBBS in basic medical colleges in Nigeria are some of the most frustrated people in the country. These are basic facts o

too bad

too bad

1 Like

Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Ugosample(m): 10:28pm On Aug 22, 2018
VeeVeeMyLuv:
Only in Nigeria!

This guys are one of the groups responsible for the high rate of employment among basic medical sciences course graduates.

In nigeria the heart of men are wicked, they just like to kill and destroy, they cannot think of building. Very very extremely selfish and insensitive.

Medical laboratory scientists, pharmacists and medical doctors (especially) oya kukuma go and ask National University commission (NUC) to scrap/stop all basic medical sciences courses since that's what is in your hearts,

Wicked lots.

Kai some people here are already calling them useless. Naija!

and the equally insensitive leaders do not care either.

yea
You got that right

The heart of man in Nigeria is indeed WICKED.

The mentality is too too bad

1 Like

Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Ugosample(m): 10:30pm On Aug 22, 2018
Jman06:
You see what i have been saying Nigerian medical doctors have totally lost it! So, by this, a great majority of them will now proceed to get an MSc and PhD in the basic medical sciences so they could start teaching anatomy, physiology and biochemistry to medical students while leaving behind other lofty medical specialties. For your information, minimum requirement for lecturing is a PhD so don't even think that NUC will allow you replace PhD with MBBS because no where in the world is an MBBS equal to a PhD. So, you guys should get ready to spend years of academic research to earn a PhD.

And for the guy alluding that medical doctors know pharmacology more than pharmacists, let me inform you that every action of a drug resides in its chemical structure and studying the chemical structures of drugs is within the domains of pharmaceutical chemistry which pharmacists study for 4-5 years. Modifying the structures of these drugs through various means ( including factors within and outside the human system) changes the actions of the drugs. So, tell me how a med doctor who has no knowledge of drug chemistry would know the effects of the drug better than a pharmacist.
That you are allowed to prescribe drugs is an anomaly which has resulted to so many deaths. That is why the pharmacist must be there in the hospitals not only to ethically dispense the drugs but to also screen your prescriptions to pinpoint prescription errors.

My friends, you can never know it all! Do your parts and let others do theirs.

simple!

2 Likes

Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Ugosample(m): 10:41pm On Aug 22, 2018
tete7000:

You guys can delude yourselves. So engineering is easy abi? When many of you run to medicine out of fear of mathematics and technical drawing. Nigerian doctors are bunch of egocentric clowns. They always think the world start and end with been doctors. I read engineering out of choice, I have a very good qualification to be a doctor and I would have successfully been one had I wanted. Nothing makes medicine and surgery more special than any course, not even Yoruba language. The earlier you get that into your skull, the better for you.
no mind them
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Ugosample(m): 10:47pm On Aug 22, 2018
redsun:
I just lost a dear cousin in one of those useless hospitals. Killed by medical personnel that were more interested in money than saving lives.They killed her and held her corpse for ransom until we had to give them the balance of their money for a botched operation that shouldn't have been carried in the first place. The country is a muderfucking zoo where even medical doctors acts like savages.

sorry about that

I lost an aunt in similar fashion
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by anjilgreat(f): 10:53pm On Aug 22, 2018
Acidosis:
To achieve this, you need to scrap B.Sc. Anatomy, B.Sc. Medical Biochemistry, B.Sc. Physiology, B.Sc. Pharmacology and other Basic Medical Sciences aside Nursing at the undergraduate levels.

They have become useless courses with no clear direction as to what graduates in those fields are trained to do in the current day Nigeria.

Whoever is considering the above courses with the hope of pursuing a career in the medical field should better have a rethink. An OND in Computer Science is way better.

More than 85% of graduates in those fields are now Marketers and Sales Rep with half baked Indian pharmaceutical companies. The entire Basic Medical Courses should be phased out and reinvented to: Pharmaceutics and Medical Sales. Nigeria don't have a job for you in the medical field, the few ones you have, you won't progress even if you're willing to lick the a$$es of egocentric people. Even your Ph.D won't help you. To a typical Nigerian Doctor, an MBBS is greater than a Ph.D.
Ph.D holders without MBBS in basic medical colleges in Nigeria are some of the most frustrated people in the country. These are basic facts o

You just spoke my mind. Most graduates of basic medical sciences from Nigerian Universities do not have much options in the area of jobs/career. Most of them actually wanted to study medicine & surgery but could not and were given these courses. The only options they have is either to graduate with a second class upper and write the first MB into clinicals to become doctors or go further in the career path by becoming lecturers in the basic medical science field after obtaining masters degree.

During my preclinical days, I had good lecturers both doctors and non doctors. I understand that doctors tend to lecturer these courses very well but they should not underestimate the roles played by these other lecturers that are not doctors before we start experiencing another controversial and unhealthy competition at university level just like the medical doctors and JUHESU issues at the hospital level.

In other climes, graduates of basic medical sciences are integrated into the paramedics sections of health organizations. Just like you said, I think they should just scrap out these basic medical sciences degrees from the medical schools in Nigeria since their roles are becoming under threats and almost unrecognized here in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by arrestdarrester: 11:13pm On Aug 22, 2018
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:

Once again,it's "I'm" or "I am "

Been*
We are not talking about state of being.
It happened in the past,therefore, past tense of the verb should be used.

Your punctuation still sucks,dear graduate.

Dear graduate, it is 'its' and not "it's".

I humbly maintain that your usage of 'been' is misplaced.
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by arrestdarrester: 11:22pm On Aug 22, 2018
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:

A purported graduate abusing "..."?
One is okay, dear graduate.
Using more than "." is wrong in all ramifications.

Dear graduate,the phrase 'I can assure you that" is used to start a statement.On the other hand,the phrase "I can assure you of that" or its equivalent is used to conclude a statement.

"I can assure you" as you used in your comment was wrong as it ended in abrupt manner.
Dear graduate, desist from making these cheap bloopers in order not to create 'ass' out of yourself in a public domain.

If I had wanted*
that's a more appropriate way to put it since it's a conditional statement that never happened.

I ought to collect money from you for all I have been teaching you,dear graduate.

"As you used..."? Or " As uses by you..."?

Hope your challenges with written English is visible to you now? You ought to be docked for the miseducation of the readers on this platform.
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Brukx(m): 11:26pm On Aug 22, 2018
Some persons were born to teach, others were not. it doesn't depend on who's a Medical Doctor or not.

It all boils down on to the personality of the Lecturer.

Dr Akpabio will teach you very well not withstanding if he is a P.hD doctor or medical doctor. it's his personality.

Dr Mensah will would be a very bad teacher. he may be the best surgeon in his workplace or may have graduated with a first class in a B.Sc degree. He won't be able to pass any knowledge to his students because it's not his calling
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by anjilgreat(f): 11:26pm On Aug 22, 2018
Jman06:
Stop posting jargon here! There is a reason why that level is called preclinical. All you need at that level are the basic understanding of those subjects to proceed to the clinical stage of medical studies. Anybody who has studied up to PhD in those subjects can deliver those basic knowledge. Even checking through the profiles of authors of some of the textbooks used at that level of medical study would reveal that many of them are not medical doctors but people with PhD in those subjects and they teach medical students.

Clinical pharmacology is not specific to medicine and medical doctors! A check through wikipedia would inform you about that. It is a research-oriented discipline that is open to healthcare professionals including pharmacists who are interested in research in that area. Most research-oriented courses are multidisciplinary btw.

Wow! you just nailed it. Doctors should just focus on the clinical aspects of medicine and allow other non doctors to take care of the preclinical aspect of
medicine. Any doctor that wants to lecture in the basic medical science field should go ahead if they have a passion for it and stop all these unnecessary comparisons for goodness sake. BTW, it is called basic medical sciences for a reason.

I just don't understand doctors contention. l only see another form of contention between doctors and academicians at the university level just like their contention with JUHESU at hospital level.

2 Likes

Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Gr8amechi: 11:09am On Aug 23, 2018
Jman06:
Stop posting jargon here! There is a reason why that level is called preclinical. All you need at that level are the basic understanding of those subjects to proceed to the clinical stage of medical studies. Anybody who has studied up to PhD in those subjects can deliver those basic knowledge. Even checking through the profiles of authors of some of the textbooks used at that level of medical study would reveal that many of them are not medical doctors but people with PhD in those subjects and they teach medical students.

Clinical pharmacology is not specific to medicine and medical doctors! A check through wikipedia would inform you about that. It is a research-oriented discipline that is open to healthcare professionals including pharmacists who are interested in research in that area. Most research-oriented courses are multidisciplinary btw.
Last anatomy, Keith Moore, Snell's anatomy and so on are written by medical doctors even frank netters atlas.
The issue with you and some other Nigerians is we always want to take issues with people.
I never said clinical pharmacology was only for MBBS what I said is there are MBBS doctors who specialize in clinical pharmacology and it's not the same as just doing a master and PhD in pharmacology.
No one is saying anatomist with PhD shouldn't lecture but they should only lecture bsc students, because it is better for MBBS doctors with PhD to lecture anatomy to medical students, try and note the difference

1 Like

Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Gr8amechi: 11:14am On Aug 23, 2018
Jaideyone:
and you can't walk into a community Pharmacy abroad, tell the pharmacist how you feel and get a remedy for your ailment? grin

you are talking like a complete illiterate grin

so a pharmacist spent 5yrs concentrating on drug chemistry and pharmacology just so he can read what the doctor wrote on paper and dispense blindly? grin hehehehehe
It's pointless discussing with an illiterate. The essence of discussion is to make valid point not to insult each others. You never addressed any of the points I raised with a coherent point. Thanks for your opinion, no one is holding pharmacist or any other field down from demanding the same.
I for one want total professionalism. I have seen schools who pharmacy students are been taught by people who studied other courses and did a masters in a pharmacy related course and it's wrong.
Let nursing develop their own program and let nurses teach nurses, same with pharmacist etc.
No big deal about this
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Jaideyone(m): 11:33am On Aug 23, 2018
Gr8amechi:

It's pointless discussing with an illiterate. The essence of discussion is to make valid point not to insult each others. You never addressed any of the points I raised with a coherent point. Thanks for your opinion, no one is holding pharmacist or any other field down from demanding the same.
I for one want total professionalism. I have seen schools who pharmacy students are been taught by people who studied other courses and did a masters in a pharmacy related course and it's wrong.
Let nursing develop their own program and let nurses teach nurses, same with pharmacist etc.
No big deal about this
you are the complete illiterate if you really think you know more about the drug than the pharmacist!!!

you sound so dull grin

it's like saying I've been using Samsung phones for 5yrs so I know more than the people that were trained to make Samsung phones and even those that work in the assembly line. isn't that foolishness? grin

4 Likes

Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Jaideyone(m): 3:05pm On Aug 23, 2018
Gr8amechi:

No big deal about this
keep making. fool of yourself. everyone has their own area of of specialty. that's what's so difficult for ignorant people like you to understand
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 4:40pm On Aug 23, 2018
arrestdarrester:

Dear graduate, it is 'its' and not "it's".
I humbly maintain that your usage of 'been' is misplaced.

Dear graduate,are you saying that you don't know when to use "it's" and "its"? Do you need tutoring with regard to that too? "its morning" That is how you would put it,I bet.

You need serious lecturing.

"Been" If you don't mind,I will help teach you how and when to use "been" and "being" You gonna need it in the future.

Don't thank me.Helping category of people like you dey give me immeasurable joy.
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 5:19pm On Aug 23, 2018
arrestdarrester:

"As you used..."? Or " As uses by you..."?

Hope your challenges with written English is visible to you now? You ought to be docked for the miseducation of the readers on this platform.

Do you also need my help here too?
It never occurred to me that you are an illiterate.

Let me bless you with this poem.
This KING OF STUPIDITY, who,like Augustus, Young.
Was called to empire,and had governed long:in prose and verse,was owned.Without dispute,through all the realms of nonsense, absolute.
This king of stupidity, now flourishing in peace,and blest with issue of a large increase, worn out with business, did at length debate to settle the succession of the state,and,pondering which of all his sons was fit to reign, and wage immortal war with WIT.
Cried:It's resolved, for nature pleads that he should only rule,who most resembles me.
ARRESTDARRESTER,alone,my perfect image bears,mature in dullness from his tender years.
ARRESTED ARRESTER alone,of all my sons, is he who stands confirmed in gargantuan stupidity.
"HE never deviates into sense"
He is submerged in stupidity.
He will be in amity with stupidity till the end of ages!

Of all my sons,HE merits my throne.
I hereby "crown" him KING OF STUPIDITY.

John%Ifeoluwakriz.
That's my gift for you, dear graduate.
I will be waiting for your comments that are never devoid of bloopers and errors, and I shall effect corrections where necessary.

1 Like

Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by capitalzero: 6:00pm On Aug 23, 2018
Jaideyone:
you are the complete illiterate if you really think you know more about the drug than the pharmacist!!!

you sound so dull grin

it's like saying I've been using Samsung phones for 5yrs so I know more about the people that were trained to make Samsung phones and even those that work in the assembly line. isn't that foolishness? grin

did anyone say doctors know drugs more than pharmacists? no.did anyone say doctors with PhD in anatomy know anatomy that anatomists? no.what we are saying is that mbbs with PhD in anatomy etc should teach medical students anatomy courses that are relevant for clinical practice. well, no matter the argument, eventually non-medics will no longer allowed to teach medical students. If you do not want that, you can hang yourself. I know you are frustrated because you are wasting your times pursing pg programme in anatomy with a view to teach medical students. I will advise you to pursue PhD in genetics or molecular anatomy in overseas. you can get fully funded schorlaship.

1 Like

Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by arrestdarrester: 6:07pm On Aug 23, 2018
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:

Was called to empire,and had governed long:in prose and verse,was owned.Without dispute,through all the realms of nonsense, absolute.
This king of stupidity, now flourishing in peace,and blest with issue of a large increase, worn out with business, did at length debate to settle the succession of the state,and,pondering which of all his sons was fit to reign, and wage immortal war with WIT.
Cried:It's resolved, for nature pleads that he should only rule,who most resembles me.
ARRESTDARRESTER,alone,my perfect image bears,mature in dullness from his tender years.
ARRESTED ARRESTER alone,of all my sons, is he who stands confirmed in gargantuan stupidity.

John%Ifeoluwakriz.
I will be waiting for your comments that are never devoid of bloopers and errors, and I shall effect corrections where necessary.

Now you turned abusive. Thank you for proving me right. Familiar poem, but please try to be original and make a poem that may be published. Just in case you forgot: plagiarism is theft of intellectual property. This is plagiarized.
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by arrestdarrester: 6:09pm On Aug 23, 2018
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:

John%Ifeoluwakriz.

Like I said that poem is plagiarized. Plagiarism is stealing. I can handle your immaturity but not a character flaw.
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Jaideyone(m): 6:10pm On Aug 23, 2018
capitalzero:

did anyone say doctors know drugs more than pharmacists? no.did anyone say doctors with PhD in anatomy know anatomy that anatomists? no.what we are saying is that mbbs with PhD in anatomy etc should teach medical students anatomy courses that are relevant for clinical practice. well, no matter the argument, eventually non-medics will no longer allowed to teach medical students. If you do not want that, you can hang yourself. I know you are frustrated because you are wasting your times pursing pg programme in anatomy with a view to teach medical students. I will advise you to pursue PhD in genetics or molecular anatomy in overseas. you can get fully funded schorlaship.
uncle follow that line of argument between us.

the one he's still hammering on is that pharmacists (who spent 5yrs learn everything about drugs alone) shouldn't prescribe drugs.

you don't jump and catch the argument in the middle without understanding the narrative.

as for your wild dreams that only doctors will lecture MBBS students grin it's remains a dream of now. tell the FG to sack all none doctors lecturers in Basic medical sciences departments and see what will happen.

for now it remains a wish grin I wish to be the richest man on earth too

1 Like

Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by capitalzero: 6:26pm On Aug 23, 2018
Jaideyone:

the one he's still hammering on is that pharmacists (who spent 5yrs learn everything about drugs alone) shouldn't prescribe drugs.

you don't jump and catch the argument in the middle without understanding the narrative.

as for your wild dreams that only doctors will lecture MBBS students grin it's remains a dream of now. tell the FG to sack all none doctors lecturers in Basic medical sciences departments and see what will happen.

look. pharmacists cannot prescribe prescription only medicine(pom). certain drugs can only be prescribed by even specialist doctors. you need to make diagnosis before you can make prescribe. we are not talking about malaria and common ailments here. try to read more about physcian order, otc and pom. for lecturers in anatomy etc, their jobs are secured, i can assure you that. But they will not teach medical students. I can bet on that. mdcn will start enforcing new curriculum for medical schools soon.
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by danilmo: 10:01pm On Aug 23, 2018
Jaideyone:

wait o, what is ur headache gan, is it that ure daft or lack common comprehension...

I guess ure not in health related course. not ur fault na but u should try and listen then comprehend.. Stop answering /replying like market women..

Anatomy PhD havnt seen blood as it is in livings,
they havnt seen a life intestine once,
hang seen life Omentum once..
the ones in the cadavers are collapsed ones,

so how do u think they ll b able to give good detail to student who will b future surgeon,

wen an PhD wana describe appendix, they give u straight as it is bluntly, no oil, but a Dr lecturer will tell u complications he encountered while he was perfming appendectomy,

what am I saying, medical student need life anatomy and can only b given by Dr lecturer..

let PhD holders teach bsc anatomy and be fine...

as per pharmacist drug ,
U said 5yrs make them know drug and should prescribe,
see , they major in the production of drug, they can't diagnos , there pathology knowledge is peripheral, , stop deceiving urself with 5yrz bla bla bla,

they studied pharmacognosy, pharmacology pharm tech and the likes so they van produce drug...

people who produce car dosnt mean they are Drivers , good driver are those who went to driving school, get licences to ply the road,...Producing car dosnt makes u are driver..

pharmacist never did obstetric and gynaecology, pediatric, radio and the likes so how will they diagnose and prescribe to patient of such cases, they produces, we doctors diagnose, prescribe produce drug in good dosage coz doctors are trained to do so effectively.. mind u we aren't talking about malaria and typhoid here o..

then pharmacist been aware of the drug and brand dispense the prescribed drug..

I hope u ll pay me for lecturing u..

haba
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Jaideyone(m): 2:32am On Aug 24, 2018
capitalzero:

look. pharmacists cannot prescribe prescription only medicine(pom). certain drugs can only be prescribed by even specialist doctors. you need to make diagnosis before you can make prescribe. we are not talking about malaria and common ailments here. try to read more about physcian order, otc and pom. for lecturers in anatomy etc, their jobs are secured, i can assure you that. But they will not teach medical students. I can bet on that. mdcn will start enforcing new curriculum for medical schools soon.
ok pharmacists that make the drug can't prescribe but doctors that don't know the chemical composition can do that

go and pick police and arrest the pharmacists giving out prescription only medicines in Pharmacy shops around your house grin

clowns

1 Like

Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by capitalzero: 2:38am On Aug 24, 2018
Jaideyone:
ok pharmacists that make the drug can't prescribe but doctors that don't know the chemical composition can do that

go and pick police and arrest the pharmacists giving out prescription only medicines in Pharmacy shops around your house grin

clowns

see Mr lecturer spitting meconiun-stained vomitus.i hail oh.
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Jaideyone(m): 2:39am On Aug 24, 2018
danilmo:

wait o, what is ur headache gan, is it that ure daft or lack common comprehension...

I guess ure not in health related course. not ur fault na but u should try and listen then comprehend.. Stop answering /replying like market women..

Anatomy PhD havnt seen blood as it is in livings,
they havnt seen a life intestine once,
hang seen life Omentum once..
the ones in the cadavers are collapsed ones,

so how do u think they ll b able to give good detail to student who will b future surgeon,

wen an PhD wana describe appendix, they give u straight as it is bluntly, no oil, but a Dr lecturer will tell u complications he encountered while he was perfming appendectomy,

what am I saying, medical student need life anatomy and can only b given by Dr lecturer..

let PhD holders teach bsc anatomy and be fine...

as per pharmacist drug ,
U said 5yrs make them know drug and should prescribe,
see , they major in the production of drug, they can't diagnos , there pathology knowledge is peripheral, , stop deceiving urself with 5yrz bla bla bla,

they studied pharmacognosy, pharmacology pharm tech and the likes so they van produce drug...

people who produce car dosnt mean they are Drivers , good driver are those who went to driving school, get licences to ply the road,...Producing car dosnt makes u are driver..

pharmacist never did obstetric and gynaecology, pediatric, radio and the likes so how will they diagnose and prescribe to patient of such cases, they produces, we doctors diagnose, prescribe produce drug in good dosage coz doctors are trained to do so effectively.. mind u we aren't talking about malaria and typhoid here o..

then pharmacist been aware of the drug and brand dispense the prescribed drug..

I hope u ll pay me for lecturing u..

haba
actually I learn all I know as as herbalist apprentice grin

pharmacists see patients everyday and prescribe in pharmacy shops.
so pharmacists can't diagnose? grin and pharmacists only major in production? grin
buhahahahaha your ignorance is oozing like body odour grin

clinicals for Pharmacy students starts from 400-500L. what is diagnosis? is it not to observe signs and symptoms and send the patient to the lab to confirm if there is a need? so only doctors do that in Nigeria now? grin hehehehehe

and uncle pharmacists don't major in production alone. pharmacy includes pharmaceutics (which includes production), pharmacology (everything about the drug when it enters the body), pharmacognosy (study of natural remedies), clinical pharmacy and pharmaceutical chemistry.

so how are all those departments which have different courses under them just about production? you know nothing about pharmacy as a course grin

you clowns are highly ignorant grin

cc capitalzero

2 Likes

Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Jaideyone(m): 2:44am On Aug 24, 2018
capitalzero:

see Mr lecturer spitting meconiun-stained vomitus.i hail oh.
clown check the post I just tagged you in and tell me what else is there to learn about drug and it's use that the pharmacist isn't trained to do.

medicine doesn't know it all that's why you still end up refering your patients to the physiotherapists!!! my two sisters are physiotherapists and there are aspects of the body they can handle that doctors are clueless about!!!

the specialty of the pharmacist is the drug and everything about it including it's use!!!

QED

1 Like

Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by capitalzero: 2:52am On Aug 24, 2018
Jaideyone:
clown check the post I just tagged you in and tell me what else is there to learn about drug and it's use that the pharmacist isn't trained to do.

medicine doesn't know it all that's why you still end up refering your patients to the physiotherapists!!! my two sisters are physiotherapists and there are aspects of the body they can handle that doctors are clueless about!!!

the specialty of the pharmacist is the drug and everything about it including it's use!!!

QED

we are in trouble in this country if a graduate does not know different between dispensing and prescription. It is only a foolish graduate that cannot check facts on roles of each health workers in hospital setting. mr lecturer is saying pharmacists diagnose leukaemia,lymphoma, hepatic abscess, stroke etc and prescribe drugs for them. smh.
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Jaideyone(m): 3:02am On Aug 24, 2018
capitalzero:

we are in trouble in this country if a graduate does not know different between dispensing and prescription. It is only a foolish graduate that cannot check facts on roles of each health workers in hospital setting. mr lecturer is saying pharmacists diagnose leukaemia,lymphoma, hepatic abscess, stroke etc and prescribe drugs for them. smh.

so pharmaceutics (which includes production), pharmacology (everything about the drug when it enters the body), pharmacognosy (study of natural remedies), clinical pharmacy and pharmaceutical chemistry are all there just to teach the pharmacist how to sit and dispense what the doctor writes?

how come you doctors now employ ND holders with no training whatsoever to dispense drugs?

1 Like

Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by capitalzero: 3:13am On Aug 24, 2018
Jaideyone:

so pharmaceutics (which includes production), pharmacology (everything about the drug when it enters the body), pharmacognosy (study of natural remedies), clinical pharmacy and pharmaceutical chemistry are all there just to teach the pharmacist how to sit and dispense what the doctor writes?

how come you doctors now employ ND holders with no training whatsoever to dispense drugs?

May be this will help and stop displaying your stupidity especially in front of your students. lecturer my foot.

Separation of prescribing and dispensing, also called dispensing separation, is a practice in medicine and pharmacy in which the physician who provides a medical prescription is independent from the
pharmacist who provides the prescription drug.
In the Western world there are centuries of tradition for separating pharmacists from physicians. In Asian countries it is traditional for physicians to also provide drugs.
In contemporary time researchers and health policy analysts have more deeply considered these traditions and their effects. Advocates for separation and advocates for combining make similar claims for each of their conflicting perspectives, saying that separating or combining reduces conflict of interest in the healthcare industry,
unnecessary health care , and lowers costs, while the opposite causes those things. Research in various places reports mixed outcomes in different circumstances.
Background
In jurisdictions (such as the United States ),
pharmacists are regulated separately from
physicians. These jurisdictions also usually specify that only pharmacists may supply scheduled pharmaceuticals to the public, and that pharmacists cannot form business
partnerships with physicians or give them "kickback" payments. However, the American Medical Association (AMA) Code of Ethics provides that physicians may dispense drugs within their office practices as long as there is no patient exploitation and patients have the right to a written prescription that can be filled elsewhere. 7 to 10 percent of American physicians practices reportedly dispense drugs on their own.[1]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_prescribing_and_dispensing

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

ASUU: FG Reveals When Strike Will Be Called Off / Top 5 UNIPORT Alumni Making Nigeria Proud / OAU Student Union Budgets N1.8m For Phone Calls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.