Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,854 members, 7,820,973 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:40 AM

Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students (27024 Views)

These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB / UK To Begin Investigating Universities/lecturers Who Award Below 2.1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by chieyine(m): 8:49am On Aug 22, 2018
capatainrambo:
bro anyanwu has mbbs o

that man na bastard surgeon o

The Anyanwu i am talking about is in UNN
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by capitalzero: 8:49am On Aug 22, 2018
Jman06:
You see what i have been saying Nigerian medical doctors have totally lost it! So, by this, a great majority of them will now proceed to get an MSc and PhD in the basic medical sciences so they could start teaching anatomy, physiology and biochemistry to medical students while leaving behind other lofty medical specialties. For your information, minimum requirement for lecturing is a PhD so don't even think that NUC will allow you replace PhD with MBBS because no where in the world is an MBBS equal to a PhD. So, you guys should get ready to spend years of academic research to earn a PhD.

And for the guy alluding that medical doctors know pharmacology more than pharmacists, let me inform you that every action of a drug resides in its chemical structure and studying the chemical structures of drugs is within the domains of pharmaceutical chemistry which pharmacists study for 4-5 years. Modifying the structures of these drugs through various means ( including factors within and outside the human system) changes the actions of the drugs. So, tell me how a med doctor who has no knowledge of drug chemistry would know the effects of the drug better than a pharmacist.
That you are allowed to prescribe drugs is an anomaly which has resulted to so many deaths. That is why the pharmacist must be there in the hospitals not only to ethically dispense the drugs but to also screen your prescriptions to pinpoint prescription errors.

My friends, you can never know it all! Do your parts and let others do theirs.

on PhD matter, mdcn/npmcn/wacp/nma are on it with nuc. soon, medical students will be taught by doctors only that is best way of producing sound doctors. know that. nothing can change that. doctors will continue to prescribe drugs while pharmacists will continue to dispense and point to prescription errors. But tell pharmacists to stop prescribing and dispensing drugs in their stores. It is illegal to do the same.
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 8:49am On Aug 22, 2018
Acidosis:

Lol, I didn't study medicine in school so I'm not speaking based on sentiments. As far as I'm concerned, there is no correlation between your undergraduate study and what you do. Just so you know, I took pharmacology courses for 3 years and in fact, many of my lecturers had MBBS, so I am talking based on my experience on the politics and stereotypical culture of a typical basic medical college in Nigeria.

By the way, my comment is largely directed at those seeking to pursue a career in the medical field, which is largely the aim of majority who find themselves in the basic medical college.

What's the point of studying Anatomy and Pharmacology when at the end of the day, the only job available to you is medical sales rep? Need I remind you the meaning and definition of pharmacology? So those lab rats you acquired for your projects are meant to market and supply drugs?

By the way, I have no business with people's salaries, but I do have issues with repeating outdated courses and courses with no clear cut career opportunities in the current day Nigeria. This is why I suggested new generational courses such as Medical Sales, etc.

Are you not worried that universities continue to admit B.Sc. Physiology, etc students only to face the stereotypical and oppressive culture of a typical health institution? Do you know the number of M.Sc. Anatomy, M.Sc. Physiology wasting away in Nigeria today? You know why? Doctors won't allow you lecture so why waste your time?

The reason is that leaders and lawmakers pretend to be deaf, dumb and blind, that's the reason for this chaotic health care system.
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Jaideyone(m): 8:55am On Aug 22, 2018
Acidosis:

Lol, I didn't study medicine in school so I'm not speaking based on sentiments. As far as I'm concerned, there is no correlation between your undergraduate study and what you do. Just so you know, I took pharmacology courses for 3 years and in fact, many of my lecturers had MBBS, so I am talking based on my experience on the politics and stereotypical culture of a typical basic medical college in Nigeria.

By the way, my comment is largely directed at those seeking to pursue a career in the medical field, which is largely the aim of majority who find themselves in the basic medical college.

What's the point of studying Anatomy and Pharmacology when at the end of the day, the only job available to you is medical sales rep? Need I remind you the meaning and definition of pharmacology? So those lab rats you acquired for your projects are meant to market and supply drugs?

By the way, I have no business with people's salaries, but I do have issues with repeating outdated courses and courses with no clear cut career opportunities in the current day Nigeria. This is why I suggested new generational courses such as Medical Sales, etc.

Are you not worried that universities continue to admit B.Sc. Physiology, etc students only to face the stereotypical and oppressive culture of a typical health institution? Do you know the number of M.Sc. Anatomy, M.Sc. Physiology wasting away in Nigeria today? You know why? Doctors won't allow you lecture so why waste your time?

Google medical sale representative openings abroad and you'll see that drug knowledge is the key requirement.

medical sales is more than just walking into a shop and exchanging the product for cash!!!

there is detailing where you explain the biochemistry and pharmacology of the drug to the doctors before they write prescriptions of the drugs for their patients. there are also clinical meetings and presentations too. I still see doctors that don't know secnidazole and metronidazole are in the same nitro-imidazole group!!! the only difference is their half life and that is why metronidazole is taken 3 times daily and secnidazole is 2g stat.
I still detailed to a dentist about secnidazole three days ago and he didn't even know it!!! some of the doctors don't even know the application of mefenamic acid. drug science (Pharmacy/pharmacology) is so broad that professionals are needed to work as medical representatives cos there is a serious need to pass the knowledge of the biochemistry and pharmacology of the drug to doctors who are more focused on the clinical applications!!! the job of the pharmacist is not just to dispense drugs alone.

no other professional knows more about the drug than the pharmacist and pharmacologist that spent years studying drug chemistry alone!!!

so pharmacists and pharmacologist working as medical representatives are in the right field!!!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Nobody: 8:57am On Aug 22, 2018
capitalzero:

on PhD matter, mdcn/npmcn/wacp/nma are on it with nuc. soon, medical students will be taught by doctors only that is best way of producing sound doctors. know that. nothing can change that. doctors will continue to prescribe drugs while pharmacists will continue to dispense and point to prescription errors. But tell pharmacists to stop prescribing and dispensing drugs in their stores. It is illegal to do the same.
don't doctors do that during clinicals?. lets face it the best of nigerian doctors study abroad

1 Like

Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Jaideyone(m): 9:00am On Aug 22, 2018
VeeVeeMyLuv:
World famous Louis Pasteur, Salk, Sabin, Hilleman, all made their mark on earth as practicing basic medical scientist.

Courses you all are lambasting and trying all means to murder.
thank you!!! pharmacists, microbiologists and biochemists spend billions of dollars on medical and drug research yearly while the doctors mostly sit back and prescribe.

same thing I told him up there
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Acidosis(m): 9:00am On Aug 22, 2018
Jaideyone:
Google medical sale representative openings abroad and you'll see that drug knowledge is the key requirement.

medical sales is more than just walking into a shop and exchanging the product for cash!!!

there is detailing where you explain the biochemistry and pharmacology of the drug to the doctors before they write prescriptions of the drugs for their patients. there are also clinical meetings and presentations too. I still see doctors that don't know secnidazole and metronidazole are in the same nitro-imidazole group!!! the only difference is their half life and that is why metronidazole is taken 3 times daily and secnidazole is 2g stat.
I still detailed to a dentist about secnidazole three days ago and he didn't even know it!!! some of the doctors don't even know the application of mefenamic acid. drug science (Pharmacy/pharmacology) is so broad that professionals are needed to work as medical representatives cos there is a serious need to pass the knowledge of the biochemistry and pharmacology of the drug to doctors who are more focused on the clinical applications!!! the job of the pharmacist is not just to dispense drugs alone.

no other professional knows more about the drug than the pharmacist and pharmacologist that spent years studying drug chemistry alone!!!

so pharmacists and pharmacologist working as medical representatives are in the right field!!!

You're right bro ^^
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by capitalzero: 9:02am On Aug 22, 2018
Jaideyone:
ignorance

so because you interacted with a few out of the hundreds of thousands of graduates of such courses in a country where opportunities are highly limited for those courses to flourish you concluded they don't know the prospects?

most of the ground-breaking inventions in medicine are not even by medical doctors. they've been mostly by pharmacists, biochemist and microbiologists. these are the people that spend billions of dollars in drug research while the doctors just sit back waiting for the results of such research to make their life easier.

how many research institutes do we have in the country for graduates of basic medical sciences to work? there are no research opportunities in Nigeria because there is no funding. how many rich men set up medical research foundations or donate large sum for research? tell universities to stop admitting students recklessly in those departments. why should a university admit 250 students into anatomy department? for what purpose? how would they learn? where are the bodies for dissections? stop blaming doctors for your unemployment. learn from nursing admission process, it is tightly regulated.
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Jaideyone(m): 9:02am On Aug 22, 2018
capitalzero:

are these drugs not made by fellow pharmacists? so it is illegal for the pharmacists that also work in production to prescribe the drugs but it is legal for doctors that have no clue as to the chemical composition or even half life to so the prescription? grin hehehehe

6 Likes

Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by capitalzero: 9:04am On Aug 22, 2018
Ikio:
don't doctors do that during clinicals?. lets face it the best of nigerian doctors study abroad

best of any professional in Nigeria study Abroad.
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Jaideyone(m): 9:07am On Aug 22, 2018
capitalzero:

how many research institutes do we have in the country for graduates of basic medical sciences to work? there are no research opportunities in Nigeria because there is no funding. how many rich men set up medical research foundations or donate large sum for research? tell universities to stop admitting students recklessly in those departments. why should a university admit 250 students into anatomy department? for what purpose? how would they learn? where are the bodies for dissections? stop blaming doctors for your unemployment. learn from nursing admission process, it is tightly regulated.
you are clown and you know nothing about drug research grin

I worked on the anti-ulcer effect of the fruit juice of annona muricata (please Google the plant) using over 200 rats for 4 different models (alcohol induced, nsaid induced ulcer and pyloric ligation model) and toxicity study to determine lethal dose, etc.

while my fellow room mates and so called doctors went to APIN clinic to collect data and some doctors did questionaire project.

is my project not research work? no one did that research that I did for my project work before I did it in 2011.

is that not research work? is that not in Nigeria? grin you are ignorant!!!

4 Likes

Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by capitalzero: 9:08am On Aug 22, 2018
Jaideyone:
are these drugs not made by fellow pharmacists? so it is illegal for the pharmacists that also work in production to prescribe the drugs but it is legal for doctors that have no clue as to the chemical composition or even half life to so the prescription? grin hehehehe

who is ignorant now?

Prescription: A physician's order for the preparation and administration of a drug or device for a patient. A prescription has several parts. They include the superscription or heading with the symbol "R" or "Rx", which stands for the word recipe (meaning, in Latin, to take); the inscription, which contains the names and quantities of the ingredients; the subscription or directions for compounding the drug; and the signature which is often preceded by the sign "s" standing for signa (Latin for mark), giving the directions to be marked on the container.

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=11896
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Jaideyone(m): 9:13am On Aug 22, 2018
capitalzero:

who is ignorant now?

Prescription: A physician's order for the preparation and administration of a drug or device for a patient. A prescription has several parts. They include the superscription or heading with the symbol "R" or "Rx", which stands for the word recipe (meaning, in Latin, to take); the inscription, which contains the names and quantities of the ingredients; the subscription or directions for compounding the drug; and the signature which is often preceded by the sign "s" standing for signa (Latin for mark), giving the directions to be marked on the container.

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=11896
so the pharmacist that spent years studying the chemical composition, lethal dose, effective dose, pharmacology and biochemistry of drugs is not in the position to tell the patient what to take?

is that not prescription? grin hehehehe

prescription is not the writing on paper but the act of authorising the use of a drug. if as a pharmacist I give someone a pack of antibiotics I just prescribed!!!

ignoramus!!!

4 Likes

Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Jman06(m): 9:15am On Aug 22, 2018
capitalzero:

No problems! Med doctors should exchange their medical practice with teaching anatomy, physiology and biochemistry. But they must be ready to get a PhD in those fields!! That is the "international best practice"! Nigerian doctors cannot change the standards just for their selfish ends. NUC should also ensure that no doctor in the academia would be in private practice because that would negatively affect their academic works.

Until Nigerian doctors stop employing quacks to dispense drugs in their clinics, pharmacists would continue to prescribe drugs! After all, they are in a better position to do that given their training in pathology of common diseases!

3 Likes

Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Rubyventures: 9:16am On Aug 22, 2018
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:
Nonsense.
My room mate once told me that lecturers that are not doctors by profession even teach them more better than their Dr counterparts.

let them go provide panacea to the root causes of their palavers and stop these flimsy excuses.

mtcheww

Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by capitalzero: 9:16am On Aug 22, 2018
Jaideyone:
you are clown and you know nothing about drug research grin

I worked on the anti-ulcer effect of the fruit juice of annona muricata (please Google the plant) using over 200 rats for 4 different models (alcohol induced, nsaid induced ulcer and pyloric ligation model) and toxicity study to determine lethal dose, etc.

while my fellow room mates and so called doctors went to APIN clinic to collect data and some doctors did questionaire project.

is my project not research work? no one did that research that I did for my project work before I did it in 2011.

is that not research work? is that not in Nigeria? grin you are ignorant!!!

herbal research? you are a magnificent clown? tell me active ingredient in your fruit juice? which methods will use to separate components of fruit juice according to their properties? how would you isolate each component? which methods and why? what is preclinical trial? what are clinical trials? what are different phases of clinical trials? at what healthy objects and patients involve? why is that physicians always involve in last phases of clinical trials before drugs are endorsed for human use.
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Jaideyone(m): 9:17am On Aug 22, 2018
Jman06:
No problems! Med doctors should exchange their medical practice with teaching anatomy, physiology and biochemistry. But they must be ready to get a PhD in those fields!! That is the "international best practice"! Nigerian doctors cannot change the standards just for their selfish ends. NUC should also ensure that no doctor in the academia would be in private practice because that would negatively affect their academic works.

Until Nigerian doctors stop employing quacks to dispense drugs in their clinics, pharmacists would continue to prescribe drugs! After all, they are in a better position to do that given their training in pathology of common diseases!
don't mind them grin

they'll open a clinic in a bedroom flat and employ one NCE holder to hold the pharmacy for them grin

4 Likes

Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by adisaigbo1(m): 9:18am On Aug 22, 2018
MartinCorridon:

Yeah they just jump into decisions without thinking it through.

Then Mr Enaibe (Anatomy ) and Mr. Adebayo (Biochemistry) taught us well in 2000-01. I learnt they are PhDs now...

Time flies
Enaibe got his PhD as far back as 2008 and he's now an associate professor I heard. I finished from Anatomy unilorin 2009
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by capitalzero: 9:19am On Aug 22, 2018
Jaideyone:
so the pharmacist that spent years studying the chemical composition, lethal dose, effective dose, pharmacology and biochemistry of drugs is not in the position to tell the patient what to take?

is that not prescription? grin hehehehe

prescription is not the writing on paper but the act of authorising the use of a drug. if as a pharmacist I give someone a pack of antibiotics I just prescribed!!!

ignoramus!!!

olodo. tell me various components of prescription?
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by flamingREED(m): 9:21am On Aug 22, 2018
Who will then be in the hospitals?

Do they now want to teach or treat?

Dumb, very.

My last visit to BMH in PH made me realise we're badly short of handy doctors.

To hear people died one after the other made me desire to turn out all my science students as medical students.

1 Like

Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Jaideyone(m): 9:23am On Aug 22, 2018
capitalzero:

herbal research? you are a magnificent clown? tell me active ingredient in your fruit juice? which methods will use to separate components of fruit juice according to their properties? how would you isolate each component? which methods and why? what is preclinical trial? what are clinical trials? what are different phases of clinical trials? at what healthy objects and patients involve? why is that physicians always involve in last phases of clinical trials before drugs are endorsed for human use.
is what I did not the first stage of drug research? grin

can you go ahead and do clinical trials without first testing on animals? coming from a doctor that did questionaire as final year project while I spent almost 300k as at 2011 grin

and yes I knew the active constituents!!! I went ahead to do HPLC (chromatography) which I paid heavily for. I did vitamin and mineral analysis to know the composition of the fruit juice!!!

so because it's the first stage it's not drug research? is that not how those that spent billions on research started? you crawl before you run!!!

you are the ignorant fellow here grin

7 Likes

Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by lastempero: 9:25am On Aug 22, 2018
Instead of them to find a way of embracing modern way of teaching and change their old curriculum,they are busy bickering over who to teach n not to teach.
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Jaideyone(m): 9:25am On Aug 22, 2018
capitalzero:

olodo. tell me various components of prescription?
lol so you think I don't know how to read a prescription after I mention 2g stay up there? you are a clown

the prescription is not the later writing but the act of authorising the use of the drug!!! English is a big problem for you grin
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by capatainrambo: 9:27am On Aug 22, 2018
chieyine:
ok bra
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by capatainrambo: 9:27am On Aug 22, 2018
chieyine:
it's the same man.

is it not prof luke anyanwu
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by capitalzero: 9:33am On Aug 22, 2018
Jaideyone:
is what I did not the first stage of drug research? grin

can you go ahead and do clinical trials without first testing on animals? coming from a doctor that did questionaire as final year project while I spent almost 300k as at 2011 grin

and yes I knew the active constituents!!! I went ahead to do HPLC (chromatography) which I paid heavily for. I didn't vitamin and mineral analysis to know the composition of the fruit juice!!!

so because it's the first stage it's not drug research? is that not how those that spent billions on research started? you crawl before you run!!!

you are the ignorant fellow here grin

herbal researcher. 300k on useless project. answer my questions first. drug research my foot. your lecturers just wasted your money in doing useless research
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Jaideyone(m): 9:37am On Aug 22, 2018
capitalzero:

herbal researcher. 300k on useless project. answer my questions first. drug research my foot. your lecturers just wasted your money in doing useless research
useless project that I can pick up and publish now?

the way you call a good research work that is meant to train a final year student useless shows how bitter and ignorant you are!!!
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by capitalzero: 9:38am On Aug 22, 2018
Jaideyone:
lol so you think I don't know how to read a prescription after I mention 2g stay up there? you are a clown

the prescription is not the later writing but the act of authorising the use of the drug!!! English is a big problem for you grin
Jaideyone:

Jaideyone:

Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by donbenie(m): 9:39am On Aug 22, 2018
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:
Nonsense.
My room mate once told me that lecturers that are not doctors by profession even teach them more better than their Dr counterparts.

let them go provide panacea to the root causes of their palavers and stop these flimsy excuses.

mtcheww
Your roommate told you and suddenly you have become an authority on who is best positioned to lecture a Medical Student.. shocked
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by capitalzero: 9:40am On Aug 22, 2018
Jaideyone:
useless project that I can pick up and publish now?

the way you call a good research work that is meant to train a final year student useless shows how bitter and ignorant you are!!!
publish it to become one of useless professors in the country.
Re: Lecturers Who Are Not Doctors ‘should No Longer’ Teach Medical Students by Jaideyone(m): 9:40am On Aug 22, 2018
capitalzero:

btw are patented drugs not from herbs at the initial stage before their synthetic derivatives were compounded into tablets? grin

seeing the term herbal as derogatory is another level of your ignorance. let me enlighten you more

Google the term PHARMACOGNOSY and come and tell me what you see

ignoramus grin

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

LAUTECH Students Honour Lecturer For Being Outstanding [Photos] / Interim Joint Admission Board(i.j.m.b) 2014/2015 Form / OAU Student Union Budgets N1.8m For Phone Calls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.