Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,302 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:30 AM

Birthday Gifts And Relationships - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Birthday Gifts And Relationships (4959 Views)

10 Things Stingy Girls Present As Birthday Gifts For Their Boyfriend / 8 Things Stingy Guys Present As Birthday Gifts For Their Girlfriend / Birthday Gifts For Your Girlfriend? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Birthday Gifts And Relationships by tolutara: 2:56pm On Jun 25, 2010
Ok, My birthday is around the corner. smiley

Told my husband in advance what I wanted for my special Day : An Amazon Kindle as I am an avid reader. I was discussing with a friend last night and she was like" you told him what you wanted?, couldn't he have surprised you with a nice gift?". I said I would rather have what I really wanted instead of the surprise element of a gift I might not really have a good use for.

She was like she would never tell her significant other what she wants for her birthday because he is supposed to know, and if he doesn't know, then maybe they are not meant to be together and she will break up with him as it meant that he has not taken the time out to know her and be thoughtful of her.

That really confused me, so House, I table it before you, What do you guys really think?

Would you prefer to tell and get what you want or risk not telling and get whatever he gives you but you get have the surprise factor? Also would you break up with him or her?
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by iice(f): 4:35pm On Jun 25, 2010
I'm not big on surprises because i usually lack the right amount of 'oooooooooohhhhh' to go with it and prolly make the giver feel like they didn't get a good gift. If i had to get a gift, i'd rather he knew what i wanted. . .makes it easier.
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by Acidosis(m): 5:15pm On Jun 25, 2010
Now I'm beginning to understand Ladies. Ladies are confused creatures without the knowledge of what they want and what they do not want.
Anyway, I'll advice you go with your darling husband's opinion.
If you really wanna make your choice, then why don't you just get it yourself in a shopping mall.
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by tolutara: 5:48pm On Jun 25, 2010
Acidosis:

Now I'm beginning to understand Ladies. Ladies are confused creatures without the knowledge of what they want and what they do not want.
Anyway, I'll advice you go with your darling husband's opinion.
If you really wanna make your choice, then why don't you just get it yourself in a shopping mall.

, don't understand ur take o
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by Acidosis(m): 6:02pm On Jun 25, 2010
tolutara:

, don't understand your take o
Let your husband surprise you with a present, and stop making choices yourself.
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by tolutara: 6:37pm On Jun 25, 2010
Acidosis:

Let your husband surprise you with a present, and stop making choices yourself.

Did you read the original post and comprehend it at all
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by Acidosis(m): 6:53pm On Jun 25, 2010
tolutara:

Yeah
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by ThoniaSlim(f): 8:14pm On Jun 25, 2010
I love surprises! I really don't ask my man for gifts or what to get me during special occassions. He just loves surprising me n funny enough he always knows what I'll like cus I end up loving the surprise gifts.
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by Acidosis(m): 8:18pm On Jun 25, 2010
ThoniaSlim:

I love surprises! I really don't ask my man for gifts or what to get me during special occassions. He just loves surprising me n funny enough he always knows what I'll like cus I end up loving the surprise gifts.
now you know what i'm talking about @Tolutara
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by iice(f): 3:24pm On Jun 26, 2010
tolutara:

It's not a strong suit of people around here. Especially males.
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by soarrogant(m): 3:42pm On Jun 26, 2010
I'm lucky my girl is not into gifts cheesy she knows we are in a recession and there is that house back home to complete, we have a necessity,we put it on the shopping list and budget for it grin heee hee
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by agathamari(f): 3:55pm On Jun 26, 2010
if your significant other is really good at picking perfect gifts then dont tell them, just hint. if your significant other is oblivious to hints or is one of those ones who gives you things like a sweater with kittens type gift then tell them
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by tolutara: 3:57pm On Jun 26, 2010
iice:

It's not a strong suit of people around here. Especially males.

grin grin grin grin grin. He did not even answer the main question, it is just weird.
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by tolutara: 4:00pm On Jun 26, 2010
For ladies or men that loves surprises. If he got it wrong will you break up with him, cos that is what my friend said.

I love surprises too, but our relationship is open enough for me tell him what I want as long as we can afford it. He can surprise me with other things o, his choice .
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by iice(f): 4:03pm On Jun 26, 2010
tolutara:

grin grin grin grin grin. He did not even answer the main question, it is just weird.

Is it? Weird i mean. . .you should read around and you'll see it as a norm.

tolutara:

For ladies or men that loves surprises. If he got it wrong will you break up with him, cos that is what my friend said.

I love surprises too, but our relationship is open enough for me tell him what I want as long as we can afford it. He can surprise me with other things o, his choice .

keywords.
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by cooltobex(m): 4:16pm On Jun 26, 2010
I'll rather prefer someone who will let you surprise her, because if the girl tells the man what she wants, the man will feel obliged to grant it. Even going an extra-length, which sometime is not okay.
The man gives from the heart when you allow him surprise you.
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by Acidosis(m): 4:27pm On Jun 26, 2010
Pls, tell me exactly where I got it wrong @iice and Tolutara
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by Ranoscky(m): 4:27pm On Jun 26, 2010
Talking about surpise gift. whosoever ask her boyfriend what she wanted as a BDG i don't think u can call that a surprise gift b'cos she already knows what her gif is all about. what if u tell your boyfriend the kind of gift u wanted and he couldn't afford it, will u blame him for that? unlike me, i don't like buying gift for gurls, i prefer giving her money to buy whatever she likes, but in terms of BDG, i don't think it's proper for a gurl to tell her BF what she wanted, i think anything that her BF bought for her as a BDG should be well APRECIATABLE. Dough, it's neccessary for a guy to know what his GF likes but i find it in no case leading to break-up. No-ing what his GF likes is not the purpose of the friendship but love for each other.    thaz ma opinion, thanx!
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by tolutara: 4:34pm On Jun 26, 2010
Ranoscky:

Talking about surpise gift. whosoever ask her boyfriend what she wanted as a BDG i don't think u can call that a surprise gift b'cos she already knows what her gif is all about. what if u tell your boyfriend the kind of gift u wanted and he couldn't afford it, will u blame him for that? unlike me, i don't like buying gift for gurls, i prefer giving her money to buy whatever she likes, but in terms of BDG, i don't it's proper for a gurl to tell her BF what she wanted, i think anything that her BF bought for her as a BDG should be well APRECIATABLE. Dough, it's neccessary for a guy to his GF likse but i find it in no case leading to break-up. No-ing what his GF likes is not the purpose of the friendship but love for each other.    thaz ma opinion, thanx!

Ok, Let me clarify, This is my Husband of 5 years. I know what we can or cannot afford. WE feel in our relationship, it is best to set feasible expectations of one another. That usually removes the sense of disappointment, that way we are able fulfill each others needs and sometimes wants.

I am talking in all aspect of life. Of course we surprise one another but always make sure we know what each other wants too. IMO , it has worked for us but again, every relationship has it's own dynamics. kiss
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by sparkle10(m): 4:38pm On Jun 26, 2010
Ok, My birthday is around the corner.  Smiley

Told my husband in advance what I wanted for my special Day : An Amazon Kindle as I am an avid reader.  I was discussing with a friend last night and she was like" you told him what you wanted?, couldn't he have surprised you with a nice gift?". I said I would rather have what I really wanted instead of the surprise element of a gift I might not really have a good use for.

She was like she would never tell her significant other what  she wants for her birthday because he is supposed to know, and if he doesn't know, then maybe they are not meant to be together and she will break up with him as it meant that he has not taken the time out to know her and be thoughtful of her.

That really confused me, so House, I table it before you, What do you guys really think?

Would you prefer to tell and get what you want or risk not telling and get whatever he gives you but you get have the surprise factor? Also would you break up with him or her

Your birthday is a special occasion you and your hubby look forward to. It happens just once a year and will be nice if the joy of it is mutual. If you tell him what you want, the element of surprise is lost. Though you may be most fulfilled since you got what you most desire, it may not be same for your hubby especially if he's got something else in mind and had waited for the day to unleash.

Give him the chance to make a choice and keep an open mind. I'm sure he's gonna check out your desire a while before going for purchase. Make sure you talk a lot about that special desire. I can assure you he's gonna go for it as if his life depends on it. Even if he got something else, still receive it with open arms. You have 364 other days in the year to get whatever else you want. "With Wisdom is a house built"

As for your friend, she lives in a virtual world. She should WAKE UP!
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by Zucker(m): 4:42pm On Jun 26, 2010
tolutara:

I don't think so.

@ OP. I think your friend is petty and shallow. There are too many things wrong with her thinking per the topic at hand. She does have the right to her priorities in a relationship.

Asking for a specific birthday present is not a bad thing, as long as you know your husband can afford it, which I'm sure you do. Surprises aren't everything!
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by DisGuy: 5:04pm On Jun 26, 2010
She was like she would never tell her significant other what she wants for her birthday because he is supposed to know, and if he doesn't know, then maybe they are not meant to be together and she will break up with him as it meant that he has not taken the time out to know her and be thoughtful of her.

your funny friend has a psychic for a husband/boyfriend perhaps

how petty do people get nowadays like its only one thing she would ever want
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by newmusic: 5:08pm On Jun 26, 2010
I dont think you should tell him what you want cuz that is no more a surprise.Let him give whatever he wishes to give.

And if luckily for both of you he surprises you with what you actually want,then fine.
But if he surprises you with something else,that doesn't mean you should break up with him.
I will advise you to know the kind of advice you get from your friends,they can be dangerous,how can someone be thinking of breaking up with his partner cuz he surprises u with what he thinks will be good for you but unfortunately you want something else.

Just tell him on a neutral level that you want a particular gift from him after your birthday

cheerz.
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by tolutara: 5:13pm On Jun 26, 2010
newmusic:

I dont think you should tell him what you want cuz that is no more a surprise.Let him give whatever he wishes to give.

And if luckily for both of you he surprises you with what you actually want,then fine.
But if he surprises you with something else,that doesn't mean you should break up with him.
I will advise you to know the kind of advice you get from your friends,they can be dangerous,how can someone be thinking of breaking up with his partner cuz he surprises u with what he thinks will be good for you but unfortunately you want something else.

Just tell him on a neutral level that you want a particular gift from him but not the birthday gift.

cheerz.

Another example of poster not reading or fully comprehending.

I did not ask for a Surprise gift. I wanted an Amazon Kindle, Husbby is fine with it even though I know he might have other things up his sleeves.(it is not an issue) angry angry angry angry angry

The question was about my friends opinion about the whole thing, please go back and comprehend this post. Thanks
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by iice(f): 5:16pm On Jun 26, 2010
newmusic:

Just tell him on a neutral level that you want a particular gift from him after your birthday

like another gift again?
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by newmusic: 5:16pm On Jun 26, 2010
ok tolutara read the conclusion of my reply, dont break up with him and let him buy what he wishes to buy for your birthday, but if you insist,tell him what you want.

thanks
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by tolutara: 5:17pm On Jun 26, 2010
newmusic:

[b]I dont think you should tell him what you want cuz that is no more a surprise.[/b]Let him give whatever he wishes to give.

cheerz.

But why can't you tell you husband what you want?? shocked shocked
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by tolutara: 5:18pm On Jun 26, 2010
newmusic:

ok tolutara read the conclusion of my reply, dont break up with him and let him buy what he wishes to buy for your birthday, but if you insist,tell him what you want.

thanks

Ok New music, with this response, I am sure you did not read the original post. Therefore you conclusion is flawed.
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by iice(f): 5:24pm On Jun 26, 2010
Or your succeeding posts. . . lol. The day/night is still young
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by newmusic: 5:26pm On Jun 26, 2010
Let's get it clear, you re talking about birthday gift,relationship,break up and surprise,

whats really your question regarding this?

since you dont want a surprise,tell him what you want then,it is better that way.

As for your friend that thinks she will break up with her partner if he buys what she doesnt like,i dont think that's the best.

Am i getting the right answer now or better you re-structure your question if you think i am still wrong.
Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by igbonla(m): 5:30pm On Jun 26, 2010
@ poster,

I am an apostle of keeping family issues within the family; there is no reason for any confusion. The opinion of others do not count if you are ok with the way you and your hubby live your lives. Let nobody sell you ideas that does not fit your personality so you don't trip and fall.

All the best!

1 Like

Re: Birthday Gifts And Relationships by laplace(m): 5:31pm On Jun 26, 2010
@ It's cute asking for what you wanted and NEEDED.  What's the essence of a 'dumb-babbie' gift you either never wanted or really needed as a 'surprise gift'? The fact that a guy doesn't know exactly what you want or need at specific points in life does not mean the guy does not love you or you're not meant for each other.  I mean, your husband could have bought you an encyclopaedia, a novel, a book or something else as an avid reader.  He could have 'surprised' you with a trip to the Bahamas for your birthday.  He could have bought you a very beautiful dress and you'll still have loved it.  But, you specifically wanted and needed a Kindle. Period.  I think your friend is on the extreme.  She needs to understand that men are not gods.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

When Is Someone Said To Be Cute-hot-handsome-or Fine.what Are Their Differences? / You Are Playing Romance With Your Lady In The Fields, Then Suddenly....pic / Would You As A Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.