Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,524 members, 7,819,886 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:03 AM

The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread - Car Talk (111) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread (446976 Views)

A Look At 2019 Armoured Mercedes-Maybach S560,Official Car Of President Buhari / So Buhari's Official Car Na Boi Boi Sef... / Donald Trump's Official Car "The Beast": 15 Amazing Facts You May Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (259) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by ping2ping: 1:58pm On Mar 14, 2020
kolagbemi:
Gentlemen, Thank you for the wonderful help and analysis here.

I need your help.

This is my first car and with a salary of less than 150k.

I am in need of a car with Durability to withstand 5hours of Uber/Bolt at my off duty in Abuja.

I approached a dealer friend to help me get a Tokunbo corolla 06-07 but he's advising me to rather go for a Camry 07-09 that the price difference is less than 200k and that the Camry is more suitable and command more respect.

He's saying Landing cost is 1.6m for corrolla and 1.8m for the Camry but my budget initially is bellow 1.5m. Assuming i am ready to spend 1.8m please do you advise i put such money to buy the Camry, which other car will you advice me to get. I love Lexus especially the E350 but I doubt if the car can withstand using it for Uber. Please i will appreciate suggestions putting in mind

Price
Maintenance
Economy
Durability
and comfort - it will also serve as my private car for me and my wife.

Please urgent before i go enter trouble.

That dealer encouraging you to buy Camry 07-09 for Uber/Bolt does not like you.
1. Camry 07-09 2.4L engine has a problem of excessive oil consumption and other issues. Infact you can research about it online, if you can avoid those model years.
2. The automatic transmission can easily develop problem and it's very pricey.

I will advice you completely stay away from Camry 2007 - 2009. Lexus E350 is a luxury car with a V6 engine. Its fuel thirsty and parts are expensive.

For that kind of business, you need a car that is very durable and has good fuel economy. I will personally recommend the following based on your budget of 1.6m-1.8m:
1. Toyota Corolla 06-07
2. Toyota Camry 06
3. Honda Civic 07 (plz avoid Civic 06)
4. Toyota Matrix XR 06 FWD
5. Hyundai Elantra 08-10 (2.0L US version Only)

All the best bro

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by foolbuster: 2:55pm On Mar 14, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Honestly, all three cars are solid. RX350 will be cheapest to maintain. FX50 is by far the fastest and best to drive. MDX is a mix of the two.

All three have solid equipment. I'm an Infiniti man, so I'd buy the FX no doubt. Has terrible fuel economy, though. That 5.0L engine is thirsty, but almost 400 HP makes it worth it. wink

Thanks for your input. i have read a lot about the reliability of infinitis that are over 100k miles, they are not reliable at such high mileage and start breaking down. and getting a tokunbo will definitely mean getting one above that mile range. what do you think?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 3:20pm On Mar 14, 2020
foolbuster:

Thanks for your input. i have read a lot about the reliability of infinitis that are over 100k miles, they are not reliable at such high mileage and start breaking down. and getting a tokunbo will definitely mean getting one above that mile range. what do you think?

Merely anecdotal. These cars live to 200k miles easily.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by foolbuster: 3:41pm On Mar 14, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Merely anecdotal. These cars live to 200k miles easily.
@heavenlybang is the engine and transmission on the fx50 bullet proof too like that VQ something engines? in your opinion whats the best country to buy them from. I know for instance that made in canada honda cars are better than their other counterparts, same applies to made in germany benz cars.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 3:48pm On Mar 14, 2020
foolbuster:

is the engine and transmission on the fx50 bullet proof too like that VQ something engines?

The VK50VE is based on the VQ series, so yes.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Galil: 4:06pm On Mar 14, 2020
ping2ping:

1. Camry 07-09 2.4L engine has a problem of excessive oil consumption and other issues. Infact you can research about it online, if you can avoid those model years.

I will advice you completely stay away from Camry 2007 - 2009. Lexus E350 is a luxury car with a V6 engine. Its fuel thirsty and parts are expensive.

For that kind of business, you need a car that is very durable and has good fuel economy. I will personally recommend the following based on your budget of 1.6m-1.8m:
1. Toyota Corolla 06-07
2. Toyota Camry 06

All the best bro
Please what is wrong with Honda civic 06
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Esohem: 3:54am On Mar 15, 2020
Please guys, kindly compare 2010 Toyota Matrix,civic and corolla. Categories include ease of maintenance, fuel economy and good handling. Thanks in advance.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by DonnyE(m): 4:03am On Mar 15, 2020
ping2ping:

1. Toyota Corolla 06-07
2. Toyota Camry 06

All the best bro
Nice one bro.. please what can your say about 2003 lexus es300 Vs 05 Corolla and 05 Camry. Thanks. Since the Camry 2007 to 09 is a NO NO.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by kolagbemi(m): 10:42am On Mar 15, 2020
ping2ping:

1. Toyota Corolla 06-07
2. Toyota Camry 06

All the best bro

Bless you my brother. I appreciate this, God Bless you.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Evathyst(f): 11:58am On Mar 15, 2020
Good day to all the gurus in the house, first of all, I want to commend you for all the good work you've been doing on this thread.

My hubby wants to buy his first car after many months of saving. We've narrowed down our list to;

- Camry 2009
- Honda Civic 2008
- Toyota Avalon 2007

Dear gurus, kindly enlighten us on which is the best to purchase considering reliability, durability, cost of maintenance, fuel economy, etc.

We're both novices when it comes to car matters, but your advice will go a long way. Need I say that our budget is 1.5m - 1.8m.

Thanks in anticipation.
Cc
nurey
Heavenlybang
Other car gurus.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Aaaaarghmed(m): 12:07pm On Mar 15, 2020
Evathyst:
Good day to all the gurus in the house, first of all, I want to commend you for all the good work you've been doing on this thread.

My hubby wants to buy his first car after many months of saving. We've narrowed down our list to;

- Camry 2009
- Honda Civic 2008
- Toyota Avalon 2007

Dear gurus, kindly enlighten us on which is the best to purchase considering reliability, durability, cost of maintenance, fuel economy, etc.

We're both novices when it comes to car matters, but your advice will go a long way. Need I say that our budget is 1.5m - 1.8m.

Thanks in anticipation.
Cc
nurey
Heavenlybang
Other car gurus.

if am in u Guys shoes. I wud pick the Honda civic since it's a first time car.It is more cheaper to maintain and also good on fuel.But I hope u stay in an area with fairly good roads because it mostly have a low ground clearance.I wud pick the Camry as a second option and the Avalon as the last option because it is more expensive to maintain than the civic and Camry.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 12:17pm On Mar 15, 2020
Evathyst:

- Camry 2009
- Honda Civic 2008
- Toyota Avalon 2007

Thanks in anticipation.
Cc
nurey
Heavenlybang
Other car gurus.

First time car.

Buy the cleanest, most optioned Civic you can.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Fostercat(m): 1:10pm On Mar 15, 2020
Hello Car gurus,

My corolla 2010 is showing VSC on the dash board and the check engine light came up.
The car suddenly is consuming too much fuel.
What can I do ? I need help
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 2:34pm On Mar 15, 2020
Fostercat:
Hello Car gurus,

My corolla 2010 is showing VSC on the dash board and the check engine light came up.
The car suddenly is consuming too much fuel.
What can I do ? I need help

Go to a technician let him scan, use the codes generated to diagnose and solve the problems.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Evathyst(f): 3:03pm On Mar 15, 2020
Aaaaarghmed:
if am in u Guys shoes. I wud pick the Honda civic since it's a first time car.It is more cheaper to maintain and also good on fuel.But I hope u stay in an area with fairly good roads because it mostly have a low ground clearance.I wud pick the Camry as a second option and the Avalon as the last option because it is more expensive to maintain than the civic and Camry.
Thanks for this! This is a relief! My hubby is in love with the CIVIC, but me? I've always been a fan of the CAMRY.

I think his major reason is the fact that Toyota is a robber's magnet.

So, Avalon is so expensive to maintain? Wow! I just learnt something new.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 3:32pm On Mar 15, 2020
Evathyst:
Thanks for this! This is a relief! My hubby is in love with the CIVIC, but me? I've always been a fan of the CAMRY.

It's not expensive to maintain, but it's more expensive than the Civic and Camry.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by ping2ping: 4:36pm On Mar 15, 2020
Evathyst:

Avalon usee a 6 cylinder engine and more expensive to maintain than the Civic and Camry. From the 3 cars, Honda Civic wins. It's more fuel efficient, does not have ball joint issue, relatively durable. If you want o buy Camry then avoid 2007-2009 models. Buy 2010 model, might be a little more than your budget though.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by ping2ping: 5:22pm On Mar 15, 2020
DonnyE:

Nice one bro.. please what can your say about 2003 lexus es300 Vs 05 Corolla and 05 Camry. Thanks. Since the Camry 2007 to 09 is a NO NO.

All the three are good cars, it all depends on what you want or your priority.

Lexus ES330 is a luxury car with 3.0L or 3.3L engine. Consumes more fuel than the other two, parts more pricey than the other 2. However it produces more power and has more facilities. Choose this if you are looking for that extra luxury in a car and if you really do not bother about the fuel consumption and cost of parts.

Corolla 2005 need no introduction. The smallest of the 3 with a 1.8L engine. Choose Corolla if you do not mind the size and if fuel consumption is an issue for you as it's the most fuel efficient of the 3. Parts are readily available as the other 2 and relatively cheaper than Lexus.

Camry 2005 is another good car with a 2.4L engine. The interior design is bland and very roomy. It has a massive boot space. Cost of parts should be at par with corolla but less expensive than Lexus. The engine need to be taking care of to avoid sludge. Choose this if you need a more roomy 4 cylinder car with relatively good fuel economy and you do not mind the bland nature of the interior.

Over to you !

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by KINGreignn: 5:33pm On Mar 15, 2020
Evathyst:

Avalon is NOT expensive to maintain, it's fuel economy is very closely matched to Camry 4 cylinder despite it being a V6. Personally, I'd say go for the best, go for the Avalon and enjoy the finest quality of the trio.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by banky3w(m): 11:32pm On Mar 15, 2020
KINGreignn:

Avalon is NOT expensive to maintain, it's fuel economy is very closely matched to Camry 4 cylinder despite it being a V6. Personally, I'd say go for the best, go for the Avalon and enjoy the finest quality of the trio.
Bless you, the level of luxury in the avalon is on another level...... I've done over 6000miles in the avalon in just 4 months and not a single thing done. Coming from a 2003 4cyl Camry, I use the same fuel for the same errands.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by joungblood(m): 1:06am On Mar 16, 2020
Hello house I have a Honda civic 2008 car for sell
This vehicle has some little body works to be done but it still drive well regardless and neat inside

contact me if you are interested in it, Location is sango ota, obasanjo Farm side, asking price 650k but open for negotiation, call sms or whatsapp me on 08125670754 thanks

This car needs to go this week biko, buyers should come ooo, money needed asap

1 Share

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Excel70: 3:19pm On Mar 16, 2020
Car gurus is the hyundai ix35 the same as the hyundai tucson? Searching for the tokunbo of the i35 but can't find it. Precisely 2014 model
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 6:12pm On Mar 16, 2020
Excel70:
Car gurus is the hyundai ix35 the same as the hyundai tucson? Searching for the tokunbo of the i35 but can't find it. Precisely 2014 model

Ix35 is a Chinese variant of Hyundai tucson. Most you see on naija roads were bought brand new.

The Tucson is the international variety, so buy Tucson or sportage instead
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by KINGreignn: 7:50pm On Mar 16, 2020
Excel70:

Whatsoever you do, or intend to buy, do NOT buy a brand new unit made for African market or even if it's Tokumbo but made for African or Asian market. Buy the units made for US market or UAE markets. Remember, safety 1st!

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Excel70: 9:17am On Mar 17, 2020
nurey:

Ix35 is a Chinese variant of Hyundai tucson. Most you see on naija roads were bought brand new.

The Tucson is the international variety, so buy Tucson or sportage instead

Thank you very much
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Excel70: 9:17am On Mar 17, 2020
KINGreignn:

Whatsoever you do, or intend to buy, do NOT buy a brand new unit made for African market or even if it's Tokumbo but made for African or Asian market. Buy the units made for US market or UAE markets. Remember, safety 1st!
Thank you very much
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by AnaCheks(m): 10:44am On Mar 17, 2020
Cc Nurey et al

Please what do you think about hyundai santafe 2007 - 2009?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by lexini: 11:49am On Mar 17, 2020
Good afternoon fam

Bought a Lexus is250 and I've not been able to register it cos cant find the engine number - pls who can direct me to where it is?

Thanks all.

Nurey
Heavenlybang
Radautoworks
Eddie
And everyone else...
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:55am On Mar 17, 2020
lexini:
Good afternoon fam

Bought a Lexus is250 and I've not been able to register it cos cant find the engine number - pls who can direct me to where it is?

Thanks all.

Nurey
Heavenlybang
Radautoworks
Eddie
And everyone else...

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by lexini: 12:08pm On Mar 17, 2020
Thanks

What side of the engine is that, when I stand facing the car?

Can I call you?

[quote author=HeavenlyBang post=87516803][/quote]
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by dicksonadams(m): 12:09pm On Mar 17, 2020
lexini:
Good afternoon fam

Thanks all.

Nurey
Heavenlybang
Radautoworks
Eddie
And everyone else...

Get a mechanic to check for you. 1k job max
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 12:10pm On Mar 17, 2020
AnaCheks:
Cc Nurey et al

Please what do you think about hyundai santafe 2007 - 2009?

It has a good review generally. But if you can avoid the 2.7L V6 engine, that engine has been ranked problematic on NL

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (259) (Reply)

How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Car Talk Chat Room / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.