Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,122 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement - Celebrities (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement (35731 Views)

See Person Wey Go Oxford – Social Media Users Slam DJ Cuppy Over Wrong Spelling / Actress Abidoun Adebimpe Apologize To Nigerians Over Her Comments On Baba Ijesha / Fans Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Cooking Style (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by bigtt76(f): 7:20pm On Aug 30, 2018
Fine and you drove without a spare tire during that period before he returned it right? Imagine what could have happened to you during the same period ...would you say its a lack of common sense in you? undecided #JustSaying

pocohantas:

Every driver should have and know these things, male or female.
I have borrowed a man my tyre inflator, despite him being the superior being... wink
Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by Topmaike007(m): 7:21pm On Aug 30, 2018
nextstep:
People can make noise up and down, but please remember that women like Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti, Oyinkansola Abayomi, Margaret Ekpo, Aba Women (from the Riots of 1929), Adunni Oluwole, Buchi Emecheta, Ngozi Iwere, Therese Nweke, Chikwenye Okonjo Ogunyemi, Ifeyinwa Iweriebor, Altine Muhammed, Nema Ngur, Ladi Olorunyomi, Maryam Babangida, Ayesha Imam, Amina J. Mohammed, and so many more have fought for the liberation of women, and for women's rights for nearly a century - yet none of these women would call themselves "Feminist". In fact they deliberately eschewed this appellation in response to "limitations of the second-wave feminism movement in regards to the history and experiences of black women, and other women of marginalized groups."[1]

I know some of these great women personally, and I grew up learning from them in the 80s when they'd hold meetings in my mother's house (Women In Nigeria, specifically). Refusing to be called "feminists", these women are responsible for universal adult suffrage (right to vote), women in the modern workplace, education of the girl child, decrease in the prevalence of female genital mutilation, programs like Better Life for Rural Women, and many other socio-cultural changes in Nigeria that we all benefit from now.

The notion that you have to be labeled "Feminist" to fight for women rights has been disproved times without number. So for a woman like Florence Otedola (DJ Cuppy) to declare she's not a feminist - while she is doing all she can to break glass ceilings, alter perceptions about women, and take control of her future, while opening doors for many other women... that's not a contradiction at all. She is really a continuation of women in Nigeria who have done the same from pre- colonial days, and I find the backlash from so-called "feminists" - who ironically can be quite hypocritical when it comes to backbiting and drawing back a fellow-woman - amusing, but sadly misinformed.

[1]Phillips, L. (2006). The Womanist Reader, New York: Routledge.
well done oya summarise everything you put down before I ban you now
Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by pocohantas(f): 7:23pm On Aug 30, 2018
bigtt76:
Fine and you drove without a spare tire during that period before he returned it right? Imagine what could have happened to you during the same period ...would you say its a lack of common sense in you? undecided #JustSaying

Well, a tyre inflator is different from a spare tyre. You probably do not know that, you're not a feminist...right? wink

P.S: A tyre inflator is that stuff, the vulcaniser uses to fúck your tyre cheesy. There is portable one that any human can easily use.
Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by Topmaike007(m): 7:23pm On Aug 30, 2018
kitchen:
MALINIST... MALINISM
masculinity grin
Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by Jman06(m): 7:40pm On Aug 30, 2018
If you don't know what feminism is all about, just keep shut and stop exposing your ignorance for everybody to see

Feminism is a good course that should be supported by every sane person.

#My daughters can never play second fiddle to men...#fact1

#My daughters must enjoy equal rights to aspire for education, jobs and political positions....#Fact2
Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by Obi1kenobi(m): 7:42pm On Aug 30, 2018
nextstep:
People can make noise up and down, but please remember that women like Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti, Oyinkansola Abayomi, Margaret Ekpo, Aba Women (from the Riots of 1929), Adunni Oluwole, Buchi Emecheta, Ngozi Iwere, Therese Nweke, Chikwenye Okonjo Ogunyemi, Ifeyinwa Iweriebor, Altine Muhammed, Nema Ngur, Ladi Olorunyomi, Maryam Babangida, Ayesha Imam, Amina J. Mohammed, and so many more have fought for the liberation of women, and for women's rights for nearly a century - yet none of these women would call themselves "Feminist". In fact they deliberately eschewed this appellation in response to "limitations of the second-wave feminism movement in regards to the history and experiences of black women, and other women of marginalized groups."[1]

I know some of these great women personally, and I grew up learning from them in the 80s when they'd hold meetings in my mother's house (Women In Nigeria, specifically). Refusing to be called "feminists", these women are responsible for universal adult suffrage (right to vote), women in the modern workplace, education of the girl child, decrease in the prevalence of female genital mutilation, programs like Better Life for Rural Women, and many other socio-cultural changes in Nigeria that we all benefit from now.

The notion that you have to be labeled "Feminist" to fight for women rights has been disproved times without number. So for a woman like Florence Otedola (DJ Cuppy) to declare she's not a feminist - while she is doing all she can to break glass ceilings, alter perceptions about women, and take control of her future, while opening doors for many other women... that's not a contradiction at all. She is really a continuation of women in Nigeria who have done the same from pre- colonial days, and I find the backlash from so-called "feminists" - who ironically can be quite hypocritical when it comes to backbiting and drawing back a fellow-woman - amusing, but sadly misinformed.

1) Where is your evidence that all the women you name "eschewed the appellation" as feminists? Just curious. Seems to me you roped in the experience of black American femininsts with Nigerian women. Black women often felt no kinship with their white counterparts, not because the white feminists were too radical, but because they weren't radical enough to embrace the unique challenges of women-of-colour. Particularly around the civil rights movement. This is why modern feminists today embrace "intersectionality" which seeks to recognize the different challenges of different identity groups and fight for these grievances.

2) When people talk about rejecting feminism, are they rejecting feminism as a self-described identity group or are they rejecting the tenets of feminism? By definition, anyone who fights for the rights of women to vote, work, rise to leadership etc is a feminist, whether they call themselves "feminist" or not. Seems to me they disagree with the uppity, confrontational, aggressive rhetoric of many self-described feminists today. But no movement exists on earth where all adherents and disciples are in perfect alignment on every issue and strategy. A lot of these are petty distinctions. If you fight for women's rights, you are a feminist, whether you call yourself one or not. Those who reject the tag usually are women from a socially conservative background trying not to alienate men.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by DozieInc(m): 7:43pm On Aug 30, 2018
sinaj:
I noticed that lots of feminist are divorcees, single ladies, jilted gfs, people in troubled relationship that just hide behind it to vent their anger against men with their conflicting opinion.

Lots of them are angry people...
Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by DozieInc(m): 7:46pm On Aug 30, 2018
nextstep:

Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by goodnewscliff(m): 7:53pm On Aug 30, 2018
Whats d stress!!!!!!! Till America gets a female president ,,,, men has always and will always be superior smarter better dan d oda folks...... Its jst one hardnutted fact...... Whats dis unnecessary rants from women angry grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by Penthomi(f): 7:59pm On Aug 30, 2018
sinaj:
This is what I knew feminism to be, but my dear not anymore. The word feminism has been so abused lately which is why people like Cuppy nd so many others are diassociating themselve from it.

People abusing it does not change its true meaning. Your profile says you are female, if you truly are, 10000 people calling you a man does not change your sex, does it?

I don't see how disassociating ourselves from feminism changes anything. Anyway, it's not the appellation or label that matters, your action is what truly counts. I don't see her standing up for equality of everybody anyway, so she is right not to call herself a feminist.
Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by Daeylar(f): 8:03pm On Aug 30, 2018
She is kissing ass just to have plenty likes and also so male and female misogynistic nairalanders can pat her on the head and praise her for her nonsense undecided, she is also ignorant and has internalized and now practices misogyny.
There are many of such ladies here, misogynistic ladies (like her) who post stuff attacking any thing women unnecessarily, just for likes and pats on the head from their fellow misogynists(both male and female) who love bringing women down

It's just so stupid
People don't know anything about feminism but won't shut up about it

Since when did the marital status of a woman who chooses to be a feminist matter?
Such People need to let women live and stop trying to tie the worth of women to the presence or absence of a man in their Lives.

Women are complete on their own.

Obi1kenobi:

Interesting that an opinion like this comes from a lady. grin You might disagree with several people in the movement whose views you might find extreme (like any movement ever conceived in the world, feminism has its extremists whose passions manifest as borderline misandry), but believe it or not, a lot of freedoms you enjoy today were hard-won from centuries of struggle from such women to be valued as something more than the property of men. It's also interesting the way you disparage women based on their relationship status (jilted, divorcees, single ladies .....blah, blah, blah...) feeding into the misogynistic trope that the value of women is ultimately defined by how desirable and amiable that they are to men.
What exactly is it about "feminism" that you dislike so much?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by sinaj(f): 8:35pm On Aug 30, 2018
Penthomi:

People abusing it does not change its true meaning. Your profile says you are female, if you truly are, 10000 people calling you a man does not change your sex, does it?

I don't see how disassociating ourselves from feminism changes anything. Anyway, it's not the appellation or label that matters, your action is what truly counts. I don't see her standing up for equality of everybody anyway, so she is right not to call herself a feminist.
of course you can be a social justice or gender equality advocate without being a feminist.

Women like Emecheta Buchi, Anu Hendiyan, Flora Nwapa all fought for gender equality without associating with feminism.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by OliveCynosure(f): 8:36pm On Aug 30, 2018
Bizibi:
I honestly don't understand Nigeria feminists, today is A,tomorrow is z then they contradict themselves and twist again.feminism is meant for independent ladies who want respect from men in the same career bracket and also treat them equally,that is the only the thing I know about the movement, the rest is bs.
That's exactly what it means o. But they've totally taken it out of context
Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by bigtt76(f): 8:37pm On Aug 30, 2018
cheesy my bad... didn't see the "inflator" part grin got me reeling with laughter on the 'f<ck tire' badass base like you tongue

pocohantas:

Well, a tyre inflator is different from a spare tyre. You probably do not know that, you're not a feminist...right? wink

P.S: A tyre inflator is that stuff, the vulcaniser uses to fúck your tyre cheesy. There is portable one that any human can easily use.
Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by sweetilicious(f): 8:54pm On Aug 30, 2018
All this feminist should go and sit down.I used to have the mentality that women are equal but my dear,its all not making sense.We are the weaker vessels. We should accept our place and only demand respect in the society.We have our own strengths likewise men.Feminism is like an unnecessary argument that is taking and draining our man power.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by ebby9z(m): 9:10pm On Aug 30, 2018
OneCorner:
Please, wat is d opposite of feminist?
Masculinist abi wetin
Meninist, bro. Meninist.
Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by ebby9z(m): 9:14pm On Aug 30, 2018
So it's feminist that fought for female suffrage? Feminists that fought for the rights of women to drive?
You'd better go and carry your book and read. Woman wrapper
Hanseel1:

You're dumb just like DJ cuppy. It would've been better if you didn't comment at all .

If not for feminists, would you vote? you won't have been working as a woman.
In a bid to impress men you decided to spew bullshit with your ugly face.

Why will you notice married and important feminists when you're an unexposed village tout whose sole aim of being on nairaland is to impress men.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by Flaame(m): 9:22pm On Aug 30, 2018
Amagite:
From; Amagitesblog.com

Nigerian disc Jockey, and billionaire daughter, DJ Cuppy has come under fire for her comments on feminism and giving reasons why she stopped being one.

In the interview she said:

I used to consider myself a feminist, until I realised that I did not really understand it. I don’t like people who are hypocrites. People are out there speaking about women rights, but behind closed doors are doing crazy things.

“I will never come out as a feminist, because I am in a male dominated industry, so I have a certain scenario. I deal with men on a daily basis and I realise that they will always think that they are better than women. I don’t think it is going to solve it.

“But you must also limit the amount of attention you give them, because let’s be honest, the more energy you put into one thing, the less time you can into another.

“If I literally sat down all day and spoke about how hard it is being a woman, I won’t have time to sit here talking with you, because I will be somewhere in Alade market talking about how women need better rights.

Well, most of what she said in the interview didn't go down well with some feminists on Nigerian Twitter, and they have taken to the platform to slam her.

See more of the tweets here; https://www.amagitesblog.com/2018/08/nigerian-feminists-slam-dj-cuppy-over-her-comments-on-their-
movement.html
(Yawning)abeg make person send me airtel #100...God bless you all.
Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by sweetmusic12: 12:45am On Aug 31, 2018
Edopesin:
Cuppy finally realized she's not that ugly

If you know you know

shocked that's deep...
Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by nigmarelli(m): 12:55am On Aug 31, 2018
Tamarapetty:
Be feministing upandan there, na una sabi!! grin

Greetings abeg you be ijaw girl?That name Tamara?I say make i ask.Cheers.
Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by Jaqenhghar: 1:06am On Aug 31, 2018
Bizibi:
They want to be treated equally but they don't want to put in the work to earn it,Nigeria feminists are joking....I'm not sure they even know what the movement was meant to achieve when it first started in the 80's.
If other people are talking MOST Niggerian women are not in a position to talk about feminism. I have even seen one when dey do runs dey form feminism. I wonder what she tells the big men who fúck her for peanuts
Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by Jaqenhghar: 1:08am On Aug 31, 2018
obentenyson:
Nigerian feminists, the most confused specie of all feminists.... they just won't stop contradicting and confusing themselves with their attitude..... Some times it's hard to tell what they're really fighting for..... always blabbing about this and that... things that ain't of big issues, they will make it look like one by turning it into a problem that every woman is facing or must face (in their own idea) as if no be because of them we dey were we dey now..
They had one useless group on facebook FIN. One guy met up with me and was talking about how the group was evil. I told him not to lose sleep and that the group members were confused souls. True true the group collapsed

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by Tamarapetty(f): 3:47am On Aug 31, 2018
nigmarelli:

Greetings abeg you be ijaw girl?That name Tamara?I say make i ask.Cheers.
Partially
Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by popefuse(m): 4:30am On Aug 31, 2018
bigtt76:
Me I don talk my own ....until I can stand alone on Third Mainland Bridge in the wee hours of the night and change my flat tire when I have no spare or have no wheel spanner to do it .....I just keep my feminism within the four corners of my room undecided I nor fit shout
omg.... you just melt my soul down by this text, how can I marry pls

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by bigtt76(f): 6:31am On Aug 31, 2018
cheesy #JustPagaMe naaaa grin

popefuse:
omg.... you just melt my soul down by this text, how can I marry pls
Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by sandra15(f): 6:33am On Aug 31, 2018
Exactly,,, and it's because they re jobless.women can never be equal to men.. God made it so, dey shud deal with it.. feminism kor... shiooorrrr]
Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by RealityShot: 7:06am On Aug 31, 2018
alphaconde:
feminism is as disgusting as homosexuality

its a distortion of a normal order
thank you!

Instead of these 9ja women to be learning the ways of CLEOPATRA... They are learning this ish...

Why ask for political posts? How do men get them? Do the same!
Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by nigmarelli(m): 11:09am On Aug 31, 2018
Tamarapetty:
Partially

Goodmorning Missy,i see.Partially as in?Explain o!Well i recognised the name because i'm izon as well.Dad and Mom are although Dad hails from Delta while Mom hails from Bayelsa.My actual name is Pereyi(most folks refer to it as Preye)so Preye is what i bear.Nice to know,ijaw girls or people are kind of hard to come by these days,seems they hide themselves for some odd reason.Ciao.
Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by Ugosample(m): 11:37am On Aug 31, 2018
Lordofthewest:
I've come to understand that a good d#ck is the cure to feminism, that's why you'll see that it's only the ugly and miserable ones unable to get a good man are the ones still waving the feminism flag..I hope our generation develops sense,if our wonderful mothers were feminist like some of these ones most of their marriages would have ended in divorce and imagine what would become of the children of divorced marriages exactly why the African American community in America is so messed up too many single mothers, babymamas and divorced marriages.The sad and most annoying part is that most of them don't even understand what feminism is all about.

please please and please, don't bring women of the past into this

many of them suffered so much in silence and I don't wish that for anyone.
Feminism (the real one o) brought about some good stuff that women enjoy today, which should be applauded

However the radical feminists should be put in check

That's it.
Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by popefuse(m): 2:56pm On Aug 31, 2018
bigtt76:
cheesy #JustPagaMe naaaa grin oya let go there, i don page u

grin
bigtt76:
cheesy #JustPagaMe naaaa grin oya let go there, i don page u

Re: Nigerian Feminists Slam DJ Cuppy Over Her Comments On Their Movement by pathogen: 3:25pm On Aug 31, 2018
walahi e be like say na only you get sense. all these other shallow minded retards are just spewing thrash. They just couldnt understand her point.
[quote author=nextstep post=70752277][/quote]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Prince Bubacarr Aminata Sankanu Welcomes First Child (Photos) / Mohbad Was Brought In Dead, Didn't Die In Our Facility - Perez Medcare Hospital / Femi Adebayo And Wife At The Naming Of Their Son (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.