Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,536 members, 7,819,919 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:44 AM

World Cup 2010 - Should Africa Be Allowed 5 Teams In 2014? - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / World Cup 2010 - Should Africa Be Allowed 5 Teams In 2014? (6970 Views)

Poll: Should We Be Allowed 5 slots?

Yes: 65% (19 votes)
No: 34% (10 votes)
This poll has ended

Most Successful National Teams In Africa Nations Cup / Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions / Should Africa Still Participate In The World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: World Cup 2010 - Should Africa Be Allowed 5 Teams In 2014? by CLT123(m): 2:31am On Jul 02, 2010
AFC = World cup semi finals

CAF = World cup quarter finals (As at today)

How many times has an AFC team made it to the quarterfinals after FIFA expanded the world cup to 24 teams?

Besides the US and Mexico what other good teams are in CONCACAF?

USA couldnt even beat a Ghana team filled with teenagers
Re: World Cup 2010 - Should Africa Be Allowed 5 Teams In 2014? by dayokanu(m): 5:47am On Jul 02, 2010
After FIFA expanded it to 24 teams Korea made it to semi finals

Besides the US and Mexico what other good teams are in CONCACAF?

Beside Ghana and Senegal which African team has done anything noteworthy?

I thought USA beat Algeria an African team and South Africa couldn't even beat Mexico despite home advantage
Re: World Cup 2010 - Should Africa Be Allowed 5 Teams In 2014? by davidif: 11:30am On Jul 02, 2010
5 slots is too much.
Re: World Cup 2010 - Should Africa Be Allowed 5 Teams In 2014? by RuuDie(m): 11:47am On Jul 02, 2010
Take out 2 CAF slots and hand it over to Oceania & AFC. . . .

Back in the days of 3 teams, we were always assured that we were represented by the very best of Africa - check out 2006, how d f.cu.k did Togo & Angola scrape thru!!?

Fewer slots mean teams that qualify have earned their bit by playing some of the big names in African football; not just one, twice. . . . but like five or six!
Re: World Cup 2010 - Should Africa Be Allowed 5 Teams In 2014? by CLT123(m): 12:06pm On Jul 02, 2010
After FIFA expanded it to 24 teams Korea made it to semi finals

Korea is the only Asian team to get passed the round of 16. Africa has had 3 Cameroon Senegal and Ghana

I thought USA beat Algeria an African team and South Africa couldn't even beat Mexico despite home advantage

Your argument is absurd. Mexico couldn't even beat Africa's worst team at the world cup. South Africa dominated that game.

If USA were in a group with Ivory Coast Nigeria or Ghana instead of Algeria The USA won't advance out of that group. Example: In 2006 Ghana were in USA's group. Guess who advanced out of that group. Italy and Ghana. USA finished last.

Beside Ghana and Senegal which African team has done anything noteworthy?

Cameroon made it to the quarterfinals in 1990.

Nigeria had a top 5 team in 1994. That Nigeria team murdered teams that world cup. People thought Nigeria will go far in the tournament. That can't be said about any team in Asian's history. Nigeria lost 2-1 to eventual runners up Italy. Nigeria was up 1-0 for 90 minutes that game.

1n 1998 Nigeria upset a tournament favorite Spain 3-2 and won their group
Re: World Cup 2010 - Should Africa Be Allowed 5 Teams In 2014? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jul 02, 2010
Africa certainly hasn't made any progress since slots were increased.
There certainly isn't any justification to maintain the present allocation apart from global diversity (whatever that means).
If we can' do better than what Ghana has done while hosting the World Cup,we certainly don't deserve 5 slots in 2014.
South America is definitely up for one extra slot at the very least.
Re: World Cup 2010 - Should Africa Be Allowed 5 Teams In 2014? by Litmus: 7:21pm On Jul 02, 2010
Places in the WC shouldn't be allocated on the bases of performance, i don't mean regional qualifiers. Places should be allocated on ratio  based on the number of nations in a particular geographic region.     

The way it works now is terribly degrading, i'm surprised no one notices this.
Re: World Cup 2010 - Should Africa Be Allowed 5 Teams In 2014? by dayokanu(m): 7:27pm On Jul 02, 2010
^^ You mean since Africa and Asia have more countries they should bring more to the world cup so we can have

Somalia, Burundi, Mauritius, Lesotho, Mauritania, Nigeria, Ghana. Cameroun, CIV, Cape verde, EGypt

Asia: India, China, Srilanka, Korea, japan, Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, Iraq

South America has few countries and they should bring just 2 countries.

And Europe 4 countries

Would you watch that kain world cup??
Re: World Cup 2010 - Should Africa Be Allowed 5 Teams In 2014? by Litmus: 11:39pm On Jul 02, 2010
Regional qualifiers would weed out the Somalias of this world, if they're undeserving, but yeah, as you state,within reason why not.
The idea that Africa and Asia most meet some criteria prescribed by the western powers seems artificial. In any case, finally, the world cup itself would sort out the men from the boys. Who knows, even in the unlikely case, the way nowadays there are few easy teams,   a 20- 0 scoreline, might be farcical but entertaining.
Re: World Cup 2010 - Should Africa Be Allowed 5 Teams In 2014? by dayokanu(m): 11:44pm On Jul 02, 2010
If Africa is to provide 12 teams, when wont the likes of Togo, lesotho and Mozambique get in?
Re: World Cup 2010 - Should Africa Be Allowed 5 Teams In 2014? by Litmus: 11:51pm On Jul 02, 2010
They might but the best teams would win the cup. I mean we're exaggerating here, but even so its more fare and natural than what we have now.
Re: World Cup 2010 - Should Africa Be Allowed 5 Teams In 2014? by dayokanu(m): 11:55pm On Jul 02, 2010
Whats exagerration there? Didnt Togo and Angola qualify for the last and didnt win one single game? despite that we have just 5 slots, Now with 12 slots we would see Mozambique, Burkina, Uganda etc.

WHo would watch a game between Uganda and Fiji?

Or a game between Swaziland and Sri lanka
Re: World Cup 2010 - Should Africa Be Allowed 5 Teams In 2014? by Litmus: 12:01am On Jul 03, 2010
If Swaziland or Fiji qualifies

increasing the ratio of teams per region  so that representation is fairer dose not mean every team  in the world will qualify. Making representation fairer can also mean limiting the number of teams from Europe
Re: World Cup 2010 - Should Africa Be Allowed 5 Teams In 2014? by dayokanu(m): 12:08am On Jul 03, 2010
What representation can be fairer than this when African countries keep embarrasing themselves at the world cup
Re: World Cup 2010 - Should Africa Be Allowed 5 Teams In 2014? by Litmus: 12:15am On Jul 03, 2010
Only one team can win the world cup all the other participants are more or less on a par as looser.

Already, USA, Nigeria, Brazil and England fade from the memory.
Re: World Cup 2010 - Should Africa Be Allowed 5 Teams In 2014? by kcblast(m): 5:13pm On Jul 03, 2010
Litmus link=topic=471javascript:void(0);531.msg6323662#msg6323662 date=1278112505:

Only one team can win the world cup all the other participants are more or less on a par as looser.

Already, USA, Nigeria, Brazil and England fade from the memory.

Infact,d whole thing tie me my dear
Re: World Cup 2010 - Should Africa Be Allowed 5 Teams In 2014? by kcblast(m): 5:19pm On Jul 03, 2010
i think i will stop watching Nigerian football,for d sake of my health cool
Re: World Cup 2010 - Should Africa Be Allowed 5 Teams In 2014? by olakintanj(m): 8:05pm On Jul 03, 2010
if you ask for my candid opinion, i will say Africa should be reduce to 3Team, can't you see their performance in this year tournament
Re: World Cup 2010 - Should Africa Be Allowed 5 Teams In 2014? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jul 06, 2010
Eastbay said:

Africa certainly hasn't made any progress since slots were increased.
There certainly isn't any justification to maintain the present allocation apart from global diversity (whatever that means).
If we can' do better than what Ghana has done while hosting the World Cup,we certainly don't deserve 5 slots in 2014.
South America is definitely up for one extra slot at the very least.

People like you make me wonder if it is true that Africans are really extremely DUMB.

Africans are their own worst enemies.

You come to an African forum and people are canvassing for a REDUCTION in WC slots for the continent.

I really don't know what to say.

Did it ever occur to any of you cretins that NONE of the African countries is SEEDED hence their having to play teams like Brazil, Argentina, and Germany in the first round?

This definitely makes it more difficult for African nations to progress through to the knockout stages. ENGLAND for instance was SEEDED. They got to play teams like Slovenia, USA, Algeria.

Even there they struggled.

Italy, another seeded nation, were wretched even with the advantages they had similar to England. France same thing.

If Nigeria, Ivory Coast were seeded, they would CRUISE into the knockout stages.

One more thing: The poll question should read ''How many slots should Africa be allotted?'', NOT the restrictive question asked.

By right, Africa, with 57 countries should have FAR MORE than 5 slots, considering Europe, with 45 countries, has 14. And South America, with 12 countries, has 7 representatives. The injustice in this arrangement is stunning.

With more slots, other African powers like Senegal, Egypt, Angola, Mozambique, and Morocco would be represented and would help give the continent a greater chance of its nations advancing to the later stages.
Re: World Cup 2010 - Should Africa Be Allowed 5 Teams In 2014? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jul 06, 2010
olakintanj said:

if you ask for my candid opinion, i will say Africa should be reduce to 3Team, can't you see their performance in this year tournament

Please just shut up. You are brain dead.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Credit Your Bet9ja Account With Free Money / How To Be A Football Agent In Nigeria And Abroad! / Samuel Peter Loses Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.