Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,746 members, 7,817,059 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:04 AM

US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final (28959 Views)

Anthony Joshua Loses To Oleksandr Usyk By Unanimous Decision / Serena Williams In Tears After Semi-final Loss To Naomi Osaka (Photos, Video) / Serena Williams Defeats Naomi Osaka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by mysticwarrior(m): 6:08am On Sep 09, 2018
Naomi Osaka the lady with a black skin and a Japanese face, she is now the new conqueror in tennis, watch out for this young Blasian soon she will become an empress in world lawn Tennis championship.
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by zone51: 6:11am On Sep 09, 2018
She gave the match to Osaka wink
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Nuzo1(m): 6:15am On Sep 09, 2018
bigtt76:
Exactly! She should have retired long time ago. She can't expect to be winning against girls of her age when she first became champion ....should by now be mentoring young American girls instead she wan compete with them. Now playing the 'because I'm a woman' card haba! Come join her daughter put sef undecided

Somebody came second and you have the guts to ask her to retire?

Retire to become a full time housewife or market woman at oshodi? Smh.

This is not the first time she would loose, but later go ahead to make a major comeback. If you doubt me, ask Maria sharapova and anna kournikova. They came, conquered Serena. But Serena reconquered back. What Serena usually do in this situation is to go and study the weakness of her major contenders.

That being said, she will eventually retire someday, but not now. Tennis is not like football.

As for the game, she was cheated. Male tennis players always get away with what she was called out for.

However, she still went ahead to instruct the crowd to stop booing Ramos and celebrate Osaka. That's a mentor if you ask me.

Congratulations to Osaka.

11 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by bigtt76(f): 6:23am On Sep 09, 2018
Trust me, I've been following she and her sister Venus right from get go as well as others like her. Sporting performance deteriorates with age. They start winning at the age 16-17 and by the time they are in their 30s they are burned out. You can reverse that. Now you got stronger kids out there ....she can't continue winning dear. Its time she calls it quit and avoid all these embarrassment. Not saying she should retire to become full housewife, she can become a coach, motivational speaker etc to the up and coming. Venus is well established now and I'm sure she will quit finally. I don't see Serena getting away without a sanction from the Tennis Association. You don't call an umpire a thief publicly undecided

Nuzo1:

Retire to become a full time housewife or market woman? Smh.

This is not the first time she would loose, but later go ahead to make a major comeback. If you doubt me, ask Maria sharapova and anna kournikova. They came, conquered Serena. But Serena reconquered back. What Serena usually do in this situation is to go and study the weakness of her major contenders.

That being said, she will eventually retire someday, but not now. Tennis is not like football.

As for the game, she was cheated. Male tennis players always get away with what she was called out for.

6 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by ThanosIsHere: 6:24am On Sep 09, 2018
Paollo:

Do you even watch tennis? Did you even watch this match? Don't just sit there and type because you have free data to. The match was irregular

In matches like this, a tennis winner does just plays better, he or she has to have her psychological edge over the opponent. If you watched the match well you will see Serena wasn't on her A game. The decision by the umpire only compounded her situation. Something was telling me to bet on Osaka but I didn't listen,imagine the odds.

1 Like

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by hoopLA: 6:27am On Sep 09, 2018
Paollo:

Do you even watch tennis? Did you even watch this match? Don't just sit there and type because you have free data to. The match was irregular
Oga please be quiet.
Osaka owned Serena in the first set
Serena was putting up a better fight in the second but Osaka still withstood her.

Serena went on that rant to try to unnerve Osaka because she couldn't unsettle her with her play. It backfired and she was made to look irresponsible, spoiled, entitled and like s bully.

That's the summary.

Get your face out of Serena's tits before you type. I'm sure that's all you look at when you watch her play.

12 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by sleek82(m): 6:29am On Sep 09, 2018
CapitanS:
Very pathetic by Serena to play the "because I am a woman" card.You were caught cheating and penalized and all you can do is try to play the gender card? What a clown!!
you should have watched the match before passing this comment!....

1 Like

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by JUHABACH: 6:31am On Sep 09, 2018
bigtt76:
Trust me, I've been following she and her sister Venus right from get go as well as others like her. Sporting performance deteriorates with age. They start winning at the age 16-17 and by the time they are in their 30s they are burned out. You can reverse that. Now you got stronger kids out there ....she can't continue winning dear. Its time she calls it quit and avoid all these embarrassment. Not saying she should retire to become full housewife, she can become a coach, motivational speaker etc to the up and coming. Venus is well established now and I'm sure she will quit finally. I don't see Serena getting away without a sanction from the Tennis Association. You don't call an umpire a thief publicly undecided

old stfu if you have nothing better to say.
male players are known to literally curse at umpires and shatter their rackets A LOT without getting any such penalty.
just say you don't watch tennis and stop embarrassing yourself.
also why should she retire? please don't hold others to your lazy-ass standards. SMH.

1 Like

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by bigtt76(f): 6:35am On Sep 09, 2018
Why all the insults? Can't you have a simple discourse without insults? Haba!!! angry I never insulted you nor mentioned you here! I have the right to my opinion and I didn't invite you here boy!

JUHABACH:

old stfu if you have nothing better to say.
male players are known to literally curse at umpires and shatter their rackets A LOT without getting any such penalty.
just say you don't watch tennis and stop embarrassing yourself.
also why should she retire? please don't hold others to your lazy-ass standards. SMH.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by sleek82(m): 6:36am On Sep 09, 2018
HAH:
Serena was very rude , she called the umpire a thief to the hearing of everyone all the umpire did was to penalize her for court coaching as clearly we saw her coach giving her signs which is prohibited in tennis, the other offence was smashing her racket.

If it was in football she could have gotten a red card for it and clearly naomi Osaka was a better player in the night.

Most annoying part is playing the gender card probably to gather sympathy, very sore loser
go check the twits of other tennis players, you will understand what she said is not enough to give her a game penalty! Men say worst things to umpires, umpires even get down from their chairs to go explain a decision to men sometimes.....it was not fair in true sense
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by LadyHeaven(f): 6:37am On Sep 09, 2018
kunmiiii:
These comments reeks of disgust, Serena wasn't playing a victim card, Ramos definitely went too far with the cold violations and he was biased, it was glaring to the extent that the whole stadium booed him and N.Osaka when she was handed the trophy.

It was sexism at its peak, becos male counterparts like Nadal and especially Nick Kyrgios have done waaayyyy much worse than that.

If u really watch tennis, you will know Serena's style of play, she always conserves energy by conceding in the first few sets but unleashes her inner beast by always coming back to win.She's a phenomenal athlete, definitely not a sore loser and was evidenced by how she gracefully comforted Osaka and was hushing the whole stadium when they all turned against the little girl.

Why bothering to explain? I realized long ago that a lot of Nigerian youths claim gurus about something they know naught of, they read a few lines and automatically take sides no further investigation but rely on sentiments to reach a verdict, if we conduct a poll now you would see that only a handful of ppl watched the match or followed it up.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by sleek82(m): 6:43am On Sep 09, 2018
hoopLA:

Oga please be quiet.
Osaka owned Serena in the first set
Serena was putting up a better fight in the second but Osaka still withstood her.

Serena went on that rant to try to unnerve Osaka because she couldn't unsettle her with her play. It backfired and she was made to look irresponsible, spoiled, entitled and like s bully.

That's the summary.

Get your face out of Serena's tits before you type. I'm sure that's all you look at when you watch her play.
you obviously haven't been watching serena play, because if you have, you would know she is known for conserving energy and thus loses her first set/game....even the commentators said it, the penalty was never heard of nor seen in a grand slam and you need to go read other tennis players' twits, men say worst things to umpires and never get any penalty let alone a game penalty....I give it to Osaka though, she had a lot of energy but I believe that decision took the game from serena and so did the commentators
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by ThanosIsHere: 6:44am On Sep 09, 2018
NIGERIAJAGAJAGA:
lol. if u watched the match truly, I don't expect u to type dis kind trash even if u hate William. why did fans booed Ramos off.

They booed her because Serena's reaction got to them and she was the favorite. Making the argument that her male counterparts get away with giving signals doesn't hold water because what is an offence is an offence. Secondly, how do you call an umpire a theif and smash your racket on the court and still expect not to be penalized. I love Serena but yesterday she wasn't on her A game. Her losing the first set didn't mean she couldn't have made her usual come back and win, but you know she wasn't on her element with the way she reacted to her being penalized. She can always come back in the next grand slam but for now kudos to Osaka.

8 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by GreatAchiever1: 6:46am On Sep 09, 2018
Well Congratz to osaka...
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by sleek82(m): 6:50am On Sep 09, 2018
I love what Osaka said when she was asked to give her speech, that was very humble of her, I also loved the fact that serena showed a lot of maturity and professionalism by begging the crowd to stop booing so as not to ruin Osaka's historic win
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by JUHABACH: 6:55am On Sep 09, 2018
bigtt76:
Why all the insults? Can't you have a simple discourse without insults? Haba!!! angry I never insulted you nor mentioned you here! I have the right to my opinion and I didn't invite you here boy!

you don't need to mention me. this is a public forum. if you didn't want a response then keep your opinions to yourself in future.
also don't take it personally. I just have an urge to insult stupid opinions.
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by sleek82(m): 6:56am On Sep 09, 2018
ThanosIsHere:

They booed her because Serena's reaction got to them and she was the favorite. Making the argument that her male counterparts get away with giving signals doesn't hold water because what is an offence is an offence. Secondly, how do you call an umpire a theif and smash your racket on the court and still expect not to be penalized. I love Serena but yesterday she wasn't on her A game. Her losing the first set didn't mean she couldn't have made her usual come back and win, but you know she wasn't on her element with the way she reacted to her being penalized. She can always come back in the next grand slam but for now kudos to Osaka.
how come others do it and nothing happens? It's time they really review these things, the other day, an umpire penalized a female player for removing her top due to heat and then US open had to apologize for it....men call umpire worst names and nothing happens, men remove their shirts and nothing happens...to me, its sexism. Even the commentators said they have never seen such in tennis history!

1 Like

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by tete7000(m): 6:57am On Sep 09, 2018
Because I am a woman...what nonsense!!! So men don't get penalized? Absolute rubbish!!!

4 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Nuzo1(m): 7:00am On Sep 09, 2018
bigtt76:

First, Serena should be punished. But it doesn't take away the fact that she made a valid point.

Now, It just doesn't sound right to call for Serena's retirement simply because a new kid beat her at the final. Same calls were made years ago when shaparova and kournikova beat her.

Her sports performance has not deteriorated like you are insinuating, she only met a superior performer in the person of Osaka coupled with the fact that she's also a nursing mother.

Venus may be established, but she's not thinking of retirement anytime soon. Besides, Serena is more established outside sports than Venus. The only edge Venus has is that she has less sporting engagements than Serena.

You don't retire when your physical and mental strength is far above 99% of your contemporaries. Only Osaka is ahead of Serena at the moment. And given to history and statistics, it's still not guaranteed for Osaka in the future.

Serena is one of the most, if not the most sellable female sports stars for decades because she is still playing effectively. Venus had this spot before, but her performance declined, and so her endorsements. You can imagine what will happen if she retires.

Long story stort is that Serena has a lot of years to spend in retirement. But for now, she has to keep playing as long as her physical and mental health is intact. Even if she will be always come second to osaka in the next 10 years. And this means; more endorsements, respect, money, experience and power.

Nothing to gain from retiring now.

5 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by oloriLFC(f): 7:03am On Sep 09, 2018
What is wrong with these RAMOS people sef? The other one called Sergio wanted to remove my Salah's shoulder. Hian! I still have scored to settle with that Real Madrid guy. angry angry
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by bigtt76(f): 7:03am On Sep 09, 2018
I don't take things personal but I detest it when we cannot engage in a discourse without a pinch of insult being added, anyway everyone has his or her own 'strategy on how to do things'... Have a blessed Sunday and week ahead!

JUHABACH:

you don't need to mention me. this is a public forum. if you didn't want a response then keep your opinions to yourself in future.
also don't take it personally. I just have an urge to insult stupid opinions.

7 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by WhoBeThisMan: 7:04am On Sep 09, 2018
CapitanS:
Very pathetic by Serena to play the "because I am a woman" card.You were caught cheating and penalized and all you can do is try to play the gender card? What a clown!!
is the oppnent not a woman too?

2 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by enemmo(f): 7:05am On Sep 09, 2018
Nuzo1:

Retire to become a full time housewife or market woman at oshodi? Smh.

However, she still went ahead to instruct the crowd to stop booing Ramos and celebrate Osaka. That's a mentor if you ask me.

Thanks for this!

Why would anyone want Serena to retire?

That comment got to me.

She's on her way to making history and someone wants her to retire?

Gosh!

2 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Galaticos444: 7:06am On Sep 09, 2018
Paollo:

sharrap!!!wots irregular about d match?she was caught cheating even her coach tweeted dat he coached her during d match which is against d rules,she damaged her racket which is against d rules,she den called d umpire stupid,who does dat and now she's trying to play d victim jst d way al feminist does

5 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by bigtt76(f): 7:08am On Sep 09, 2018
I get you clear. I just thought it would be best for her and Venus to pass on the baton to the likes of Sloane Stephens and others looking up to them for inspiration and motivation.

Osaka most probably took to tennis watching Serena and Venus play, today she beat her 'mentor', watched her cry, rant and throw tantrums.... something you would expect from the 20 year old Osaka to do undecided

Nuzo1:

First, Serena should be punished. But it doesn't take away the fact that she made a valid point.

Now, It just doesn't sound right to call for Serena's retirement simply because a new kid beat her at the final. Same calls were made years ago when shaparova and kournikova beat her.

Her sports performance has not deteriorated like you are insinuating, she only met a superior performer in the person of Osaka coupled with the fact that she's also a nursing mother.

Venus may be established, but she's not thinking of retirement anytime soon. Besides, Serena is more established outside sports than Venus. The only edge Venus has is that she has less sporting engagements than Serena.

You don't retire when your physical and mental strength is far beyond 99% of your contemporaries. Only Osaka is ahead of Serena at the moment. And given to history and statistics, it's still not guaranteed for Osaka in the future.

Serena is one of the most, if not the most sellable female sports stars for decades because she is still playing effectively. Venus had this spot before, but her performance declined, and so her endorsements. You can imagine what will happen if she retires.

Long story stort is that Serena has a lot of years to spend in retirement. But for now, she has to keep playing as long as her physical and mental health is intact. Even if she will be always come second to osaka in the next 10 years. And this means; more endorsements, respect, money, experience and power.

Nothing to gain from retiring now.

2 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by tete7000(m): 7:09am On Sep 09, 2018
When Serena said men do worse, she inadvertently admitted she did something bad that deserves punishment, thus kudos must be given to the umpire for not allowing a bad behaviour go unpunished. That others do wrong is never a justification to want to go away with wrong. The umpires that let them go unpunished should be sanctioned.
Secondly in argument it is foolish to make general statement, men do worse is too general. Next time, Serena should cite a particular person that did worse, what he did that that wasn't punished, who the umpire was and and then makes the whole understand while she chose to imitate a bad model as a good mother she claims to be.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by sleek82(m): 7:11am On Sep 09, 2018
Galaticos444:
sharrap!!!wots irregular about d match?she was caught cheating even her coach tweeted dat he coached her during d match which is against d rules,she damaged her racket which is against d rules,she den called d umpire stupid,who does dat and now she's trying to play d victim jst d way al feminist does
another indication that you didnt watch the match....why not watch the match first. She didnt call the umpire "stupid"
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Rumicarter: 7:18am On Sep 09, 2018
"If he gives me a thumps up, he's telling me 'Come on'. We don't have any code and I know you don't know that and I understand why you may have thought that was coaching but i'm telling you its not. I don't cheat to win, i'd rather lose. I'm just letting you know."

Serena to the Umpire during the Game. She ain't call him stupid. I heard all she said loud and clear.
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by hucienda: 7:20am On Sep 09, 2018
Naomi Osaka played better and deserved the win.

Such a shame it ended with a burst-up between Serena and the umpire as regards her coach's violation of the rules.

Congratulations on your 1st Grand Slam, Naomi.
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Nuzo1(m): 7:23am On Sep 09, 2018
bigtt76:
I get you clear. I just thought it would be best for her and Venus to pass on the baton to the likes of Sloane Stephens and others looking up to them for inspiration and motivation.

Osaka most probably took to tennis watching Serena and Venus play, today she beat her 'mentor', watched her cry, rant and throw tantrums.... something you would expect from the 20 year old Osaka to do undecided

Lol.

Why would she pass the baton to Sloane? Is Sloane her daughter? Is Serena a tennis coach? Was it Serena that coached Osaka? Sloane and other kids should better train harder.
To play and win a tennis competition is not Nigeria political appointment.

As for the ranting and crying like a kid, it was all expected as that makes it clear that she's human who has been at the top for a long time. She learnt her lessons, got over it and went ahead to celebrate Osaka. What else do you expect of her?

Worst has be said and demanded of Serena in the past but most of her critics have since come to except that regardless of her age and "unsellable" color, this is one woman who deserves all the respect and accolades and must not be taken for granted.

3 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by CapitanS: 7:24am On Sep 09, 2018
WhoBeThisMan:
is the oppnent not a woman too?
I wonder o

1 Like 1 Share

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by freezze(m): 7:26am On Sep 09, 2018
Bitter Barca Fan you are.
Hanji:
Her losing spirit is synonymous to that of cristiano ronaldo both are sore losers.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ivory Coast Vs Ethiopia AFCON Qualifier Referee Collapses During Match (Photos) / Ronaldo Wins Globe Soccer 2001-2020 Player Of The Century Award / VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.