Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,409 members, 7,954,623 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:15 AM

US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final (29310 Views)

Anthony Joshua Loses To Oleksandr Usyk By Unanimous Decision / Serena Williams In Tears After Semi-final Loss To Naomi Osaka (Photos, Video) / Serena Williams Defeats Naomi Osaka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by bigtt76(f): 11:05am On Sep 09, 2018
@embolden ....absolutely correct! Power serves require a lot of energy (which the younger players commands) but as you grow older, you lose it. Here people still believe Serena should continue playing for as long as she can ...fine but she needs to change her strategy and hope her opponent would not capitalize on her weakness ....ability to run around the court pretty fast. Happy Sunday to you.

NgeneUkwenu:

You Sabi the game wella.

Her most powerful tool in the past had been her powerful serves which resulted to aces for her. However one needs a lot of energy to fire aces, which has deserted her of late due to age, hence the decline.

Roger Federer, Halep Simon, Angeliqer Keber Djokovic and Even her sister, Venus are all dynamic in style of play....meaning they can devise means of staying or converting serves to rallies where they can force opponents to commit errors...but if you watched her game against Osaka yesterday..anytime the game enters rallies, she would lose the point.

Consequently, I aligned with your submission.

1 Like

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Nobody: 11:07am On Sep 09, 2018
Blonchilli:

Yes. You need to see how the Japanese are celebrating her
She was born in Osaka, Japan. That makes her more of Japanese than Haiti.
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Nobody: 11:08am On Sep 09, 2018
kullozone:
Other umpires should be ashamed of themselves for overlooking broken rules. Ramos deserves some accolades for not being intimidated by a tennis Star.

Nice one.

Btw, those fans who booed Osaka are fools. They only booed because they're all Serena's fans. Their 'booing' isn't justified in any way.

Goatssmiley

Well said sir.. Ramos deserves some accolades

1 Like

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Nobody: 11:21am On Sep 09, 2018
Blonchilli:

Yes. You need to see how the Japanese are celebrating her
u dey mind them, she was born in Japan tho, and relocated to United States at 3. But basically she's representing the Japanese thats why they are celebrating.

1 Like

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Nobody: 11:25am On Sep 09, 2018
jandj:

Well said sir.. Ramos deserves some accolades
I disagree with u. He claimed Serena was been coached while she was on a game, she was obviously too busy and focus on the game to even look at the direction of her coach, Ramos just made a big deal out of nothing and serena was had already lost the first round, making her more upset.
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Fadelex(m): 11:27am On Sep 09, 2018
Blonchilli:

Bro I've given up on Nairaland. Just so they can be first to comment or get likes they post rubbish. Ramos was at fault and even though the boos weren't entirely for Osaka viewers weren't pleased and a lot of professionals have come out to stand by Serena. What the umpire did was controversial, disgraceful and unfair to Serena. In the heat of it she broke down and we're proud of her but 10mb data users who haven't contributed nothing to society have an opinion on tennis rules they know nothing about. It's hard luck for Serena tbh. Well done to Osaka, I know those ignoramus up there don't even know despite she's Japanese she can't speak the language because she's more Hawaiian-American than Japanese undecided
Just like Serena your Comment reeks of utter arrogance. Why do you think your opinion is more important than that of others? That Someone is using 10mb data shouldn't stop them from airing their views. I watched the game from Start to finish and it was obvious Serena wouldn't comeback hence her outburst . She was leading 3-1 in second set when patrick made the hand gesture and he admitted it after the game and justified it by saying Naomi's coach was doing same. I love Serena but I wont allow that to cloud my sense of reasoning
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Nobody: 11:29am On Sep 09, 2018
jandj:

She was born in Osaka, Japan. That makes her more of Japanese than Haiti.
Nah, she was raised in the US, she's even more of us than Japan. They are only celebrating her because she's representing Japan. Mind u, her father is Haiti.
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Nobody: 11:30am On Sep 09, 2018
Fadelex:

Just like Serena your Comment reeks of utter arrogance' Why do you think your opinion is more important than that of others? That Someone is using 10mb data shouldn't stop them from airing their views I watched the game from Start to finish and it was obvious Serena wouldn't comeback hence her outburst She was leading 3-1 in second set when patrick made the hand gesture and he admitted it after the game and justified it by saying Naomi'scoach was doing same I love Serena but I wont allow that to cloud my sense of reasoning
Don't say that, serena has made come back like this b4.
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Nobody: 11:58am On Sep 09, 2018
charliboy654:

I disagree with u. He claimed Serena was been coached while she was on a game, she was obviously too busy and focus on the game to even look at the direction of her coach, Ramos just made a big deal out of nothing and serena was had already lost the first round, making her more upset.

Okay.. a quick one. Did Patrick admit coaching Serena after the game? YES. The fact is coaching is not allowed during the game. But I really don't see a reason for that tho. But since it's the rule of the game, Ramos deserves some accolades
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Nobody: 12:03pm On Sep 09, 2018
jandj:

Okay.. a quick one. Did Patrick admit coaching Serena after the game? YES. The fact is coaching is not allowed during the game. But I really don't see a reason for that tho. But since it's the rule of the game, Ramos deserves some accolades
Apparently, it was a thumbs up he gave her. Not really coaching per sa, the umpire dont deserve anything, he f up.
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Nobody: 12:04pm On Sep 09, 2018
charliboy654:

Nah, she was raised in the US, she's even more of us than Japan. They are only celebrating her because she's representing Japan. Mind u, her father is Haiti.

Raised and born are two different words. She was born in Osaka, Japan. We all know her father is from Haiti and mother is from Japan.
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Nobody: 12:06pm On Sep 09, 2018
jandj:

Raised and born are two different words. She was born in Osaka, Japan. We all know her father is from Haiti and mother is from Japan.
So if Linda ikeji give birth to that her baby in the US, u will say he is more of US than Nigeria.
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Nobody: 12:07pm On Sep 09, 2018
charliboy654:

Apparently, it was a thumbs up he gave her. Not really coaching per sa, the umpire dont deserve anything, he f up.

lol.. He knows the rule of the game.. dats a stylish thumb up. They both know what he meant. After all, he also admitted that he was coaching..
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Nobody: 12:08pm On Sep 09, 2018
jandj:

lol.. He knows the rule of the game.. dats a stylish thumb up. They both know what he meant. After all, he also admitted that he was coaching..
OK, if u say so, but Naomi deserve the win.
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Nobody: 12:10pm On Sep 09, 2018
charliboy654:

So if Linda ikeji give birth to that her baby in the US, u will say he is more of US than Nigeria.

Thats dual citizenship and its left for the baby to decide.. Dele Alli's parents are from Nigeria, but The guy was birthed in England. He doesn't even associate himself with Nigeria.
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Nobody: 12:22pm On Sep 09, 2018
charliboy654:

OK, if u say so, but Naomi deserve the win.

Yes yes yes.. I am a die hard Serena fan.. but truth be told, Naomi played well yesterday and she deserves her victory
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Nuzo1(m): 12:40pm On Sep 09, 2018
jandj:

If male tennis players do this.. does that mean it is right and unpunishable? Haba.. calling an umpire a thief and a liar is punishable abeg.

Let's give kudos to Ramos for being brave in judgement. It really shows how great an umpire he is.

All said, Naomi deserves the victory.. even with all the boos!

I'm a strong advocate of rule of law.
A faul is a faul regardless of the status of whoever commits it.

Until it's established that WTF confirms that a coach giving a thumb up to a player is cheating, then I summit to their rules. But if not, she was clearly cheated on.

So far, Serena's sins to me is ranting at the umpire.
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Nuzo1(m): 12:53pm On Sep 09, 2018
bigtt76:
Passing the baton down to the younger ones does necessarily mean they have to be her kids ...no! No she didn't coach Osaka or others but she can impact in them her experiences and even fight for their rights off the court. She can't continue playing all her life ....the time for her to stop is now, like it or not! Make these younger girls nor come de poke fun at her say 'who you epp' oooo ...toh! cheesy

Like you said, she happens to be the best selling sports woman out there and this facts might be what is prodding her to continue playing which is good.

If you are calling for her retirement, it should be based on a strong case of her physical and mental strength failing her. Not because of what people will say or that she came second to a 20 years old small girl.

There can never be shame being second to Osaka, even if it will last for 10 years. Everything is not all about ego.

And remember what I told you earlier, when shaparova beat her a couple of times, she was ridiculed and pressured to retire. But she came back to retire them.

Finally, money, power, respect and other things may not be her only motivators. Her major motivator would most likely be that playing tennis is the only thing that gives her joy.

So why ask a 1st runner up to retire? Why not ask those who lost in the second round to retire.

I must confess that this your call is very surprising and sad.
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Aigbogun01: 1:10pm On Sep 09, 2018
The problem with a lot of Nigerians is they just type with the little knowledge of what they have about any situation instead of going into details.
Ramos coached Nadal’s game and his coach did the same thing over and over but was not penalized. He was not wrong but too heavy handed but clearly her coach sent some signals but she was not watching to see her coach’s signal and Osaka’s coach did the same thing but was not penalized.
Secondly she is first woman we are seeing a year after her childbirth came back to tennis and have gotten to two semi-finals even after battling with health issues continuously.
She is also the first tennis player I have seen who does not know her opponent till an hour before the game. She is always unbothered and plays her best. She takes the game naturally as problem solving and although she cares about loosing but learns a lot from her loses.
Finally we are here attacking her but she still got $1.85milliom for getting to the finals.
Of course she was Osaka’s idol and Osaka has studied her play for too long.
She just would need to work on her stamina as since she put to birth she does not like to play a point for a long time and that worked against her.
So we should still learn to appreciate people’s success regardless of their wins and loses.
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Nobody: 1:11pm On Sep 09, 2018
Nuzo1:

Until it's established that WTF confirms that a coach giving a thumb up to a player is cheating, then I summit to their rules. But if not, she was clearly cheated on.

Lool...A thumbs up and the hand moves forward like a message is being passed.. even Patrick admitted that it was coaching .. pls watch it again.. it's not only a thumbs up. He was actually passing a message. imagine that I want to cheat, will I make it look as if I want to cheat? NO! I will find a way to cover my tracks. That's what the thumbs up is for.. covering the message.. but Serena knows what he meant..
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Aigbogun01: 1:12pm On Sep 09, 2018
Nuzo1:

I agree with you.
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by bigtt76(f): 1:12pm On Sep 09, 2018
Ooh no you got me wrong all along ....my calling for her retirement is NOT because she lost to a 20 year old but more of her failing physical and mental strength. Look at the age range of all those she lost to in the finals recently, you will agree, she can't match their strength or rather struggling to match them.

Nuzo1:

If you are calling for her retirement, it should be based on a strong case of her physical and mental strength failing her. Not because of what people will say or that she came second to a 20 years old small girl.

There can never be shame being second to Osaka, even if it will last for 10 years. Everything is not all about ego.

And remember what I told you earlier, when shaparova beat her a couple of times, she was ridiculed and pressured to retire. But she came back to retire them.

Finally, money, power, respect and other things may not be her only motivators. Her major motivator would most likely be that playing tennis is the only thing that gives her joy.

So why ask a 1st runner up to retire? Why not ask those who lost in the second round to retire.

I must confess that this your call is very surprising and sad.
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Aigbogun01: 1:17pm On Sep 09, 2018
bigtt76:
Ooh no you got me wrong all along ....my calling for her retirement is NOT because she lost to a 20 year old but more of her failing physical and mental strength. Look at the age range of all those she lost to in the finals recently, you will agree, she can't match their strength or rather struggling to match them.

She is still fit to play. She just needs to work on her stamina. Childbirth and blood clothing is a lot. She should still be able to play for a year more before focusing on other things and diversifying.
No lady have had her kind of come back. Not Azerenka or Sharapova. Not even any of this young ones is as steady as she is.
Respect a back woman who was able to pave herself through the lily-white world of Tennis.
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Xisnin(m): 1:24pm On Sep 09, 2018
kunmiiii:
These comments reeks of disgust, Serena wasn't playing a victim card, Ramos definitely went too far with the code violations and he was biased, it was glaring to the extent that the whole stadium booed him and N.Osaka when she was handed the trophy.

It was sexism at its peak, becos male counterparts like Nadal and especially Nick Kyrgios have done waaayyyy much worse than that.

If u really watch tennis, you will know Serena's style of play, she always conserves energy by conceding in the first few sets but unleashes her inner beast by always coming back to win.She's a phenomenal athlete, definitely not a sore loser and was evidenced by how she gracefully comforted Osaka and was hushing the whole stadium when they all turned against the little girl.

You need to understand where many of these negative comments are coming from.
It is partly due to sexism and partly inferiority and crab complex. I am very sure most
of the commenters don't even watch Tennis.
I just hope the psychological effect of the rigged loss does not wear her down.

1 Like

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Nobody: 1:34pm On Sep 09, 2018
Aigbogun01:

She is still fit to play. She just needs to work on her stamina. Childbirth and blood clothing is a lot. She should still be able to play for a year more before focusing on other things and diversifying.
No lady have had her kind of come back. Not Azerenka or Sharapova. Not even any of this young ones is as steady as she is.
Respect a back woman who was able to pave herself through the lily-white world of Tennis.

Serena is always a joy to watch. She is a Legend of the game.. not just a Legend but a GOAT.. I think she will go on for more years.. 3 or 4 I guess.. if she is still playing like this at her age.. I bet she still has 3 or 4 yrs
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Nuzo1(m): 1:41pm On Sep 09, 2018
bigtt76:

How did she manage to get to finals if her physical and mental strength is failing her?

There may have been a little drop, but you only noticed it because a superior power (Osaka) came from "nowhere".

I will also consider that she just gave birth.

Watching Osaka, it's evident she will go far. Serena on her own part should be encouraged to stay in the game and make more history like she always does.

Besides, the media, tennis sponsors and community will cry blood if Serena retires now. It will be Tiger Woods pt2. Lol. People got interested in female tennis because of Venus and Serena.

Lastly, 80 out of the 100 ranked male and female players are about Serena's age. So, why should she retire for old mamas to continue. grin
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Nobody: 1:51pm On Sep 09, 2018
PhenomenalMorgan:
dis girl must be commended for beating serena twice i hope her fans dont say its after childbirth effects anyway congrats to osaka she deserves some accolades

How old is Williams?
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by MrMacinterchi1: 2:56pm On Sep 09, 2018
Tensed moment!
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by MrMacinterchi1: 2:59pm On Sep 09, 2018
Tensed
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by israelmao(m): 3:00pm On Sep 09, 2018
Not too bad for a nursing mother after all.Tennis is both psychological and physical.
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by MrMacinterchi1: 3:00pm On Sep 09, 2018
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by sleek82(m): 3:37pm On Sep 09, 2018
hoopLA:

Another one who just watches Serena to see her titties jiggle

You try so hard to appear more intelligent than you are yet you can't even get your point straight

You didn't as much as touch the points I raised.

Let me educate you a bit before you go off the rails.

I don't know where you get your info abSerena losing the first set
She won five of her 6 games before this finalat this US open in straight sets. She only lost the first set in this competition ONCE in six games before yesterdayz
If we go back to Wimbledon, she won 5 of 7 in straight sets.

So I'm sure you're talking out of your añus on that one.

Then on theboldened, it just shows you're a new jack millennial born around 1999. Otherwise you wouldn't draw this stupid conclusion:

John McEnroe got disqualified from the Australian open in 1990 for misconduct

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/john-mcenroe-disqualified-from-the-australian-open

The same McEnroe has amassed fines and suspensions all through his career.

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/www.deseretnews.com/article/171029/FOR-THE-RECORD-MCENROES-TANTRUMS-AND-FINES.amp

I suggest you sit back and learn bout the history of the game instead of jumping into topics because they are trending

this is one of the reasons I hate coming on nairaland because you will see every Tom, dick and harry forming old and intelligent and thereby improving stupidity...I am sure you could have made all your points without insults. You claim you have watched tennis a lot but brought out fines for people swearing, shouting at spectators just to score a cheap point...go back and check what other tennis players are saying about the umpire and the game yesterday, this is the same umpire that Nadal didnt want in his games anymore. Nobody said serena disnt deserve a penalty yesterday but the penalty should have come from the racket she broke and that came from the fact that the umpire accused her of cheating. Atleast if you are well educated in the game of tennis, you cant possibly know better than those that play it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lionel Messi's Father, Jorge Hits Out At Critic Of His Son's 7th Ballon D'or Win / Odion Ighalo Visits Disneyland With His Family / Chelsea Announce Europa League Squad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.