Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,417 members, 7,819,503 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final (28972 Views)

Anthony Joshua Loses To Oleksandr Usyk By Unanimous Decision / Serena Williams In Tears After Semi-final Loss To Naomi Osaka (Photos, Video) / Serena Williams Defeats Naomi Osaka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by geronimoedeh1(m): 7:27am On Sep 09, 2018
kunmiiii:
These comments reeks of disgust, Serena wasn't playing a victim card, Ramos definitely went too far with the cold violations and he was biased, it was glaring to the extent that the whole stadium booed him and N.Osaka when she was handed the trophy.

It was sexism at its peak, becos male counterparts like Nadal and especially Nick Kyrgios have done waaayyyy much worse than that.

If u really watch tennis, you will know Serena's style of play, she always conserves energy by conceding in the first few sets but unleashes her inner beast by always coming back to win.She's a phenomenal athlete, definitely not a sore loser and was evidenced by how she gracefully comforted Osaka and was hushing the whole stadium when they all turned against the little girl.

Playing gender card is sexism on its own. That's what we are all fighting against. She was playing with a woman not a man. Serena would have empirically stated her discontent without playing the gender/sexism card.

7 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Galaticos444: 7:29am On Sep 09, 2018
sleek82:
another indication that you didnt watch the match....why not watch the match first. She didnt call the umpire "stupid"
yea she actually called him a thief which is more worse

4 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by CapitanS: 7:30am On Sep 09, 2018
Paollo:

Do you even watch tennis? Did you even watch this match? Don't just sit there and type because you have free data to. The match was irregular
You're the one who doesn't watch tennis, was Serena's coach supposed to be giving her hand signs while a game was on? Was Serena allowed to smash her racket on the court? Which of the penalties wasn't deserved? The umpire was just doing his job and the entitled clown thought she could play the gender card to blackmail him

8 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by CapitanS: 7:32am On Sep 09, 2018
NIGERIAJAGAJAGA:
lol. if u watched the match truly, I don't expect u to type dis kind trash even if u hate William. why did fans booed Ramos off.
Serena is from the US, she was playing at home in front of her home fans so the fans were obviously biased in her favour

5 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by emperorblog(m): 7:33am On Sep 09, 2018
CapitanS:
Very pathetic by Serena to play the "because I am a woman" card.You were caught cheating and penalized and all you can do is try to play the gender card? What a clown!!

1 Like

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Viicfuntop(f): 7:33am On Sep 09, 2018
BUSHHUNTER:
Naomi Osaka

That's the real small girl big God

And not those dumb girls without any profession/occupation who only have puzz! to offer for money!

But your most visited site on this platform is job/vacancies. Give this slut shaming a rest. Get sense

1 Like 1 Share

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by kullozone(m): 7:36am On Sep 09, 2018
Other umpires should be ashamed of themselves for overlooking broken rules. Ramos deserves some accolades for not being intimidated by a tennis Star.

Nice one.

Btw, those fans who booed Osaka are fools. They only booed because they're all Serena's fans. Their 'booing' isn't justified in any way.

Goatssmiley

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by CapitanS: 7:48am On Sep 09, 2018
kunmiiii:
These comments reeks of disgust, Serena wasn't playing a victim card, Ramos definitely went too far with the cold violations and he was biased, it was glaring to the extent that the whole stadium booed him and N.Osaka when she was handed the trophy.

It was sexism at its peak, becos male counterparts like Nadal and especially Nick Kyrgios have done waaayyyy much worse than that.

If u really watch tennis, you will know Serena's style of play, she always conserves energy by conceding in the first few sets but unleashes her inner beast by always coming back to win.She's a phenomenal athlete, definitely not a sore loser and was evidenced by how she gracefully comforted Osaka and was hushing the whole stadium when they all turned against the little girl.

Did her coach break the law or not? Did she smash her her racket on the court or not? Was the umpire supposed to penalize her for those two offences or not? That's what a rational thinker should answer and not this sentimental reasoning you're outlining here. The umpire was just doing his job and FYI the only reason he was booed was because Serena was playing at home, in front of her own home fans so they were clearly biased in her favour

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by zabuur: 7:55am On Sep 09, 2018
CapitanS:
Very pathetic by Serena to play the "because I am a woman" card.You were caught cheating and penalized and all you can do is try to play the gender card? What a clown!!

Don't mind her, Osaka is a man......

3 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Ayanfeoluxyz(f): 7:55am On Sep 09, 2018
pweshdodo:
She really tried you know I want her to be my baby mama I just love her..

Serena I love you
Mere infatuation!
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Blonchilli(m): 8:02am On Sep 09, 2018
Paollo:

Do you even watch tennis? Did you even watch this match? Don't just sit there and type because you have free data to. The match was irregular
Bro leave those mugus. Nairaland is filled with underage data users. Serena Williams was wrongly treated. If this was Nadal it would be a different story. So many professionals are standing behind Serena and these buffoons are here spilling trash.
Any chance they see to attack the female gender and they get an erection
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Nobody: 8:03am On Sep 09, 2018
You don't always get to win.

Life isn't a chocolate box.
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Nobody: 8:07am On Sep 09, 2018
"It was always my dream to play against Serena in the US OPEN FINALS"

And then she bows to Serena "Thank you for the match"

N.Y. fans are so rude.. It got to a point Naomi had to apologize for winning!!!

2 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Blonchilli(m): 8:11am On Sep 09, 2018
kunmiiii:

Bro I've given up on Nairaland. Just so they can be first to comment or get likes they post rubbish. Ramos was at fault and even though the boos weren't entirely for Osaka viewers weren't pleased and a lot of professionals have come out to stand by Serena. What the umpire did was controversial, disgraceful and unfair to Serena. In the heat of it she broke down and we're proud of her but 10mb data users who haven't contributed nothing to society have an opinion on tennis rules they know nothing about. It's hard luck for Serena tbh. Well done to Osaka, I know those ignoramus up there don't even know despite she's Japanese she can't speak the language because she's more Hawaiian-American than Japanese undecided

2 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by stagger: 8:11am On Sep 09, 2018
NIGERIAJAGAJAGA:
lol. if u watched the match truly, I don't expect u to type dis kind trash even if u hate William. why did fans booed Ramos off.

Do you expect an American crowd playing in a tournament held in America to cheer the umpire for a call against an American player?

3 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by shawlar(m): 8:14am On Sep 09, 2018
Serena has beaten a lot of top class tennis players in her career without needing to cheat, is it when playing with Naomi Osaka that she’ll resort to cheating.. I don’t mean to belittle Osaka’s skill or talent but I’m sure she would have loved to win without the controversies that the umpire created.

3 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by vickydevoka(m): 8:16am On Sep 09, 2018
drey69:
Congrats to Osaka on a good, well deserved victory. End of an Era.

First it was Messi, now it's Serena Williams. The GOATs are leaving
don't forget cr7 is gone already. no recoreded goal in juve

1 Like

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Nobody: 8:18am On Sep 09, 2018
Ahmeduana:
Have never seen a coloured Japanese.
She's Haitian, her mom is Japanese while her dad is Haiti
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Originalsly: 8:18am On Sep 09, 2018
I'm not surprised.....Serena had to be stopped by any means necessary from sharing the record of most wins...why must a Black be at the helm of historically a White sport? She did nothing wrong....the coach was alleged to be making hand signals...was she looking?...doesn't matter...she was penalised. Who was ever penalized for such? ...even the spectators were disgusted and made it known.That's unusual...for tennis fans to boo any official.

1 Like

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Blonchilli(m): 8:18am On Sep 09, 2018
bigtt76:
Exactly! She should have retired long time ago. She can't expect to be winning against girls of her age when she first became champion ....should by now be mentoring young American girls instead she wan compete with them. Now playing the 'because I'm a woman' card haba! Come join her daughter put sef undecided

Will you keep quiet. If she wants to play till she's 50 nobody will stop her. How old do you think Roger Federer is. Madam please don't embarrass yourself further.
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Horus(m): 8:20am On Sep 09, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx9iT1OQMl0

Serena Williams has a meltdown at the US Open

1 Like

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Nobody: 8:20am On Sep 09, 2018
Blonchilli:

Bro I've given up on Nairaland. Just so they can be first to comment or get likes they post rubbish. Ramos was at fault and even though the boos weren't entirely for Osaka viewers weren't pleased and a lot of professional have come out to stand by Serena. What the umpire did was controversial, disgraceful and unfair to Serena. In the heat of it she broke down and we're proud of her but 10mb data users who haven't contributed nothing to society have an opinion on tennis rules they know nothing about. It's hard luck for Serena tbh. Well done to Osaka, I know those ignoramus up there don't even know despite she's Japanese she can't speak the language because she's more Hawaiian-American than Japanese undecided
Her dad is Haiti her more is Japanese, so shes more of haiti

1 Like

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by shine12: 8:28am On Sep 09, 2018
obaataaokpaewu:
Because you are a woman? At least you were playing with your fellow woman

The issue was not with Naomi but with Umpire Ramos who docked a point because he felt Serena was being coached. Patrick (her coach) made a hand signal but she did not see any of the signal.
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by shine12: 8:34am On Sep 09, 2018
mysticwarrior:
Naomi Osaka the lady with a black skin and a Japanese face, she is now the new conqueror in tennis, watch out for this young Blasian soon she will become an empress in world lawn Tennis championship.

Nah, Ivanovic, Murguruza, Kvitova, Azarenka all came to win 1 or 2 grand slams and people thought they were special but they've still not dominated. Look at Sloane Stephens that won last year, she's regressed from that US open win.Apart from the Williams sister, other WTA players seems to be uninterested in dominating.
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by bigpicture001: 8:39am On Sep 09, 2018
Gullah:
Serena seems more interested in being an activist than concentrating on her game, she stupidly threw away this game in my opinion
....sh didn't throw away the game...sh was beaten blue blacl....i watched it. in the 1st set there was no incident, but sh was broken twice and veteran at 6:2. in the second, sh broke naomi's serve,but the Japanese broke bake just imidiately, b4 sh started her drama. same thing with rafa the other night, he was bound to lose,hence he changed it to injury to discredit his opponent of a well deserved victory...

egoist greats!

2 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by gnykelly(m): 8:42am On Sep 09, 2018
Hanji:
Her losing spirit is synonymous to that of cristiano ronaldo both are sore losers.
non of your family members have achieved not 1/19th of the greatness of this two great figure.
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by 9ZoriaMyShithol(m): 8:45am On Sep 09, 2018
Anduku:
Serena Williams had a shot to make history on Saturday at the US Open, as a victory over Naomi Osaka in the women's singles final would've given her 24 career Grand Slam singles titles, tying the all-time record held by Australia's Margaret Court. However, the 20-year-old Osaka upset Williams to take home the first major victory of her pro career. Her win was also historic in its own right, as Osaka becomes the first Japanese woman to win a Grand Slam final.

Osaka is now two for two in matches against Williams after beating her at the Miami Open in March earlier this year. On Saturday at Arthur Ashe Stadium in New York, Osaka took down Williams in consecutive sets, 6-2, 6-4.

Osaka got off to a commanding start in the first set, then prevailed in what turned out to be a controversial second set. As Serena was attempted to play herself back into the match, she was penalized a game because her coach was allegedly making hand signals, which results in code violation. Chair umpire Carlos Ramos leveled a game penalty for the coaching violation, which left Williams incensed.

She smashed her racket on the court, which resulted in another violation, before demanding an apology from Ramos.

"You owe me an apology. I have never cheated in my life! I have a daughter and I stand for what's right for her," Williams told Ramos on the court. "I don't cheat to win. I'd rather lose."

"This has happened to me before. This is not fair. There are a lot of men out here who have said a lot of things and do not get that punishment. Because I am a woman you are going to take this away from me? That is not right."

Shortly after, Williams surrendered that second set and the match went to Osaka.

For Williams, this is her second runner-up finish since returning to tennis following the birth of her daughter. She also finished second at Wimbledon this July, falling to Angelique Kerber in the final.

https://www.cbssports.com/tennis/news/us-open-2018-serena-williams-falls-to-naomi-osaka-in-controversial-final-marred-by-penalty/

d rather lose.
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by 9ZoriaMyShithol(m): 8:46am On Sep 09, 2018
9ZoriaMyShithol:
d rather lose.
Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by bigpicture001: 8:52am On Sep 09, 2018
shawlar:
Serena has beaten a lot of top class tennis players in her career without needing to cheat, is it when playing with Naomi Osaka that she’ll resort to cheating.. I don’t mean to belittle Osaka’s skill or talent but I’m sure she would have loved to win w...........ithout the controversies that the umpire created.
....the difference btw u and me is dt u read it,while I stayed up all night to watch it.

again,u were star struck,while am a realist.
there are rules in this game that I follow madly like pol follow football. do not ever try to communicate with ur trainer during a match. her coach knows the rules, but he broke it whilst trying to help the drowning Serena. sh was no where near her opponents at that period. so the ref applied the rules and u all came here to rant..du u know sh peacefully went ahead with the game..? until the Japanese started winning again. nd sh broke her racquet nd went bak to the umpire after breaking another violation. ? pol dt destroy racquet like djokovic usually do,do dt on thier serve and usually wen dey lead, sh did otherwise nd pushed all d blame to d ref...in osaka's semi final victory speech. sh said sh preferred Serena in the final. sh was ready for her...

give credit to d talented Japanese nd stop supporting the egoist drama queen!

4 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Zanas: 8:54am On Sep 09, 2018
This is simply a case of an entitled superstar believing that she's above the rules of a sport. Very disgraceful behaviour by Serena

3 Likes

Re: US Open 2018: Serena Williams Loses To Naomi Osaka In Controversial Final by Horus(m): 8:55am On Sep 09, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRa8kp_1zvI

2018 US Open press conference: Serena Williams says I don’t need to cheat to win

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Arsenal Chiefs 'set To Meet Barca Officials To Thrash Out Coutinho Loan Deal' / UEFA Women's Champions League Draws. See Who Nigerians Are Playing Against / Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.