Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,994 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:43 AM

How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? (29290 Views)

How Do You Cope With 60k Salary In Port Harcourt ? / How Do You Cope When A Colleague Or Senior Is Not Up To Their Job / Guys, Never Look This Way If You Want To Keep Your Job In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Kylekent59: 12:15am On Sep 11, 2018
All those working in a bank/ company work aren't safe sef. you could be sacked any moment and pray it's not when you have spent all your money on family/ house.

At Op I would advise you read the book " Think positive by Vincent Norman Pale".

After you have read that book, You can never be worried/ dejected again in this life.
You can do anything, I mean anything!!.

You can ask your family members to support you with finance, you can even learn a skill.

You can even start doing assignment for people at the university, and they pay you, even for people abroad.

Imagine making 8k a day, 48k a week, 352k a month.

7 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Lexusgs430: 12:17am On Sep 11, 2018
UyaiIncomparabl:

Never you discredit the work of God. I prophesy in God's name. If only he believes, he will receive. Get behind me, you man of little faith. Opportunity meets preparedness.

We see how this cursed religion has destroyed Nigeria and our way of thinking and application.....

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 12:19am On Sep 11, 2018
Lexusgs430:

We see how this cursed religion has destroyed Nigeria and our way of thinking and application.....

Get behind me, mortal man, else I curse that you cast your foot against a stone.
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Lexusgs430: 12:22am On Sep 11, 2018
UyaiIncomparabl:

Get behind me, mortal man, else I curse that you cast your foot against a stone.

Curse.... If you believe in curses, it would return to you.....

7 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Jeswino: 12:22am On Sep 11, 2018
O boy. This government has no plan for the youths. I am baffled that a lot of men have gone through similar problems and overcame eventually.
Back to the matter, they have said it all. QED

4 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 12:23am On Sep 11, 2018
Lexusgs430:

Curse.... If you believe in curses, it would return to you.....

Now, off you go and stop being pesky. Go give your wife some doggy style.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Olajumoke459: 12:26am On Sep 11, 2018
Kawounited:
Sorry bro.. But that is the reality of life.. One day we shall either leave the job or the job will leave us.

I also got disengaged in June from my job that I have been doing for about 14yrs in one of the multinationals. A job that has been fetching me salary of about half a million monthly.

It was really painful because that's when reality would dawn on you. The most painful part is not even about losing the job but how people you think are your confidants,some colleagues, some associates will just disappear all of a sudden.. Because you now have nothing to offer.. Only your family will be with you and some few friends you possibly grew up with..God bless our parents.. They will be the ones encouraging you at this point.

The 1st thing i did is to go to my pension administrator and I was told that I will have to wait till after 4 months if I cldnt get a job b4 I can access the 25%.

I started thinking how would I survive 4 months with anything coming into my pocket. I then quickly put up my car for sale. I sold my car n raised about 2.5m. I then bought a small car of Abt 1.2m. I paid off some of my debts. I then bought enough foot stuff, 3 bags of rice, 3cartons of spaghetti, 3cartons of macaroni, 2cartons of cous cous, half bag of sugar, 3cartons of Indomie, half bag of beans, half bag of millet, 2 25litres of oil, 1 25litre of red oil, toiletries, filled my 3 gas cylinders and some other things.

To cut long story short, the remaining money,i started talking to people around on what kind of business should I do to keep body n soul. And I got inspired when I met some people that told me about businesses that doesn't require millions of naira as capital to start with and they are doing well now. At the end I decided to enter into bedsheets business with just about 150k I started. And guess what, I keep on talking to friends all over some states advertising my bedsheets. And to God be the glory, the patronage was amazing. With 150k I can buy 1 bale of the material, sewing and packaging all joined. At the end, u can get like 60k profit.

I already moved on and I promise myself never to bother looking for work again. And also advising those still working to try something new.. Try and get a skill apart from the job u re doing.. All businesses startes from small and grow big..

You will only have to cut down all unnecessary expenses. No more going to take ice cream, Shawarma and the rest.. Lol.. But it worth it.. Life under full time employment is nothing but fake..

Am yet to collect my pension, but am happy that God has already opened my eyes.

I now have peace of mind, I now relate well with my wife and kids, I now have time to go and be checking my parents. And most importantly, am now focusing on my business and always thinking of how to expand it.

To God be the glory!

Pls can you put me through
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Ubongdemaga: 12:30am On Sep 11, 2018
konvict0111:
This is a difficult subject, but it's good to face it because, among other things, it serves as a reality check and reminds us that a salaried job would not equate to financial independence after all said and done.

You didn't say if your previous job was pensionable. If so, I would suggest you file in with your Fund Administrator to put you on a monthly basic support from your funds with them, while you are tinkering your next move.

You must take it easy on yourself too as just about anyone can be a victim of job loss, so understand it's nothing personal. This is a great way to condition your mindset to ensure you won't be falling into depression anytime soon.

Set up a LinkedIn profile to get you up and ready to go. Apply to jobs as much as you can. It's great to have a good exercise regimen during this period. Join a sport club, a youth organization at church and any noble gathering, which can be a good support system for you.

Don't rule out the prospect of pursuing a personal business as well, as this is infact the way to go and the surest route to get ahead of any risk of job loss. Not easy the way I have typed all this, but keep your head up nevertheless.

I am sure God will make a way, where there seems to be no way. Chin up, bro.
bro u have just made a point i pick interest. I mean pensionable job. I lost a job as a prison officer dats level 05/8 @ a salary of 50k as @ 2013. I used to contribute from day 1 since the new pension scheme came on board. It was wrongful termination though i have applied for re-instatement since 2013 but uptill now nothing come forth. I considered wat u have just said by going to my pension fund administrator to ask for my money cos it was my salary that the used to deduct. So as i see this point i pick an interest. I don't knw hw u can guide me by throwing more light. Thankz. My whatspp number is 09020606565 or call 08181703327,. I will really appreciate if u can help.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Nobody: 12:31am On Sep 11, 2018
Honestly speaking, I have worked with so many organizations and on each occasion, I always resign, stay at home for some time (sometimes for as long as two years), before getting another job reluctantly. My motive of resigning from jobs has always been 'passion for self reliance'. I have tried my hands on a another of business ideas while at home and I always go back doing jobs before seeing such businesses blossom. Even though I am on pension already - through one of the jobs I did in the past, I am presently engaged with yet, another job. Now, I am really distressed nowadays working at jobs and I am desperately bent on going for financial independence at last. With a house over my head with family, a car, pension and trendy knowledge on my side, I belief God will see me through this time around. Its not the best doing jobs all the days of your life. But, there is time for everything. https://freebulksmscredits..com

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Lexusgs430: 12:34am On Sep 11, 2018
UyaiIncomparabl:

Now, off you go and stop being pesky. Go give your wife some doggy style.

I would rather give you the doggy style.....

10 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 12:35am On Sep 11, 2018
Lexusgs430:

I would rather give you the doggy style.....

Jesus, forgive this boy/man.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Lexusgs430: 12:36am On Sep 11, 2018
UyaiIncomparabl:

Jesus, forgive this boy/man.

Once we complete the doggy style, we can seek forgiveness together.....

11 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by W3lord: 12:44am On Sep 11, 2018
Lorenzop:
It is so unfortunate seeing majority of comments advicing OP to start applying for another job....what then happens when he looses the next one he gets because its obvious he will still quit or get sacked after all its not his father's job...thats the reality.....

OP....a little above one year ago I was once in your shoes, Infact the mumu that sacked me told me to my face that I will start all over again, he said several things that will make even a determined soul to shake, then again, my babe left me, my friends stopped calling even when i called they dont pick, I was devastated, i will wake up and cry asking God why friends treat me that way when i know i really was very generous, guess what i said to myself, I am not gonna submit a single CV to anyone because i dont want to go through the era of getting sacked again because there is no guarantee you will keep your job. I dusted my laptop and delved deeply into the world of the internet (not yahoo pls)...there are several legit business you can do online and yet foot your bills very comfortably, i was so happy with myself because i do things my own way and in my own time. I now have time to even learn a new skill and make myself more valuable, mind you it is a skill that will still keep me self employed comfortably. forget govt and private sector....it will ruin you further. It will be hard initially but once you are determined, you will win...above all and most importantly, be prayerful...without God I wont be where I am today...do not give up bro...cheers

A little info on this will help him... Which area of Internet

1 Like

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Ubongdemaga: 12:50am On Sep 11, 2018
Charlyok:

Thank you Sir, for your great submission.

My previous job was pensionable, but I do not know how to go about filing with the pension Administrator.
It's IBTC Pension. Kindly enlighten me

Thank you all for your contributions and advice.
bro am in d same shoe as urs o . Abeg if there's a way out u carry me along. I was wit nlpc pension administrator n d last quarter account i have here reads #787,841.09 though i think it should b bigger than that cos my mates figure used to b higher than my own then. I used to contribute #3105.50 every month. I suppose to have retire in 2035. My numbers r whatspp 09020606565, 08181703327,
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Kylekent59: 12:51am On Sep 11, 2018
Let me just tell you a girl I helped back then after service. 2015 to be precise

During my service year,there was this girl at my ppa then, we became friends and we got to know ourselves better.

She once told me she can cook, she can make cake, doughnut,meat pie,shawama and all that.
I was like complementing her.

Fast forward, six month after service, I saw her status and I knew something was wrong. I had to call her and she started telling me her plight.

I then told her that, she once told me she can cook, bake cake and all that, she said yes.

I then told her to find any secondary/gov't school and book a space that I will support her to start the baking stuff. She wrote down everything she needed and summed it up,she computed and told me it's about 35k.

I transferred 35k to her account and she started the baking stuff. After 2 weeks I called to know how far. I called her for like 3 times between 11am to 12am and she didn't pick. I was like hope all is well.

Around 1 pm she called and was thanking me, she was very happy. She said she was busy selling, that Demand is much that she is making it.
She started telling me she is well loaded, she is a rich lady. I congratulated her and advised her that there is no limit to what she can achieve.

After 2 months, she said she wants to pay me triple, I told her never to worry that she shouldn't send anything, as am typing now she has a home with a ride. She is making it big.

The brain is there, just start with a foot step. Don't give up @ Op.

17 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by emmyid(m): 1:00am On Sep 11, 2018
Kylekent59:
All those working in a bank/ company work aren't safe sef. you could be sacked any moment and pray it's not when you have spent all your money on family/ house.

At Op I would advise you read the book " Think positive by Vincent Norman Pale".

After you have read that book, You can never be worried/ dejected again in this life.
You can do anything, I mean anything!!.

You can ask your family members to support you with finance, you can even learn a skill.

You can even start doing assignment for people at the university, and they pay you, even for people abroad.

Imagine making 8k a day, 48k a week, 352k a month.

How does one make this money in a day?
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by emmyid(m): 1:06am On Sep 11, 2018
Kylekent59:
Let me just tell you a girl I helped back then after service. 2015 to be precise

During my service year,there was this girl at my ppa then, we became friends and we got to know ourselves better.

She once told me she can cook, she can make cake, doughnut,meat pie,shawama and all that.

I was like complementing her.

Fast forward, six month after service, I saw her status and I knew something was wrong. I had to call her and she started telling me her plight.

I then told her that, she once told me she can cook, bake cake and all that, she said yes.

I then told her to find any secondary/gov't school and book a space that I will support her to start the baking stuff. She wrote down everything she needed and summed it up,she computed and told me it's about 35k.

I transferred 35k to her account and she started the baking stuff. After 2 weeks I called to know how far. I called her for like 3 times between 11am to 12am and she didn't pick. I was like hope all is well.

Around 1 pm she called and was thanking me, she was very happy. She said she was busy selling, that Demand is much that she is making it.
She started telling me she is well loaded, she is a rich lady. I congratulated her and advised her that there is no limit to what she can achieve.

After 2 months, she said she wants to pay me triple, I told her never to worry that she shouldn't send anything, as am typing now she has a home with a ride. She is making it big.

The brain is there, just start with a foot step. Don't give up @ Op.

Woh! God bless you for that kind gesture that changed her life.

5 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Nobody: 1:11am On Sep 11, 2018
UyaiIncomparabl:
Why aren't there comments from females here? Don't you people work too?
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Kawounited: 1:18am On Sep 11, 2018
What do you want me to put you through on?

Olajumoke459:

Pls can you put me through
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 1:18am On Sep 11, 2018
[quote author=Omoluabi9 post=71089565][/quote]

Stop quoting me with no aim.
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by islandmoon: 1:20am On Sep 11, 2018
lost my job , sold my car to do business, government demolished it, always wanting bribe , mine was and still terrible, battling depression even till now , the reason I hate our leader, i can sacrifice my life to wipe them away, I even learn a skill but couldn't raise capital to start.
I had thought of killing myself many times but still alive.
I even worked as a labourer just to earn token , joined them to offload rice, I did teaching job n a private school and they couldn't pay, tried sport betting , scaffolding , worked as a boy for truck until the illiterate driver I attached to wanted to kill me , he had all documents but didn't wait for custom , they chased us, beat us only to realised we had all documents , the custom recruits slapped me, a graduate, I shed tears.. the other night he jammed electric poles etc and left truck on the road with no worries , he nearly caused accident, not easy at all I must say, i had to leave before i die, but whenever I noticed the whahala is too much, I take a break like I am doing now , travel to spend a week with a friend to rest and get myself back small, my dear skill is what you need, I know I will break thru one day. our leaders are dull just forget this country.

12 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Nobody: 1:34am On Sep 11, 2018
UyaiIncomparabl:

Stop quoting me with no aim.
I had an aim.

You voiced what was in my head.

I quoted (and bolded) to re-emphasize and encourage the ladies to speak and share their experiences.

How are you?

And nice to meet you smiley

1 Like

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Martinez19(m): 1:37am On Sep 11, 2018
UyaiIncomparabl:

Never you discredit the work of God. I prophesy in God's name. If only he believes, he will receive. Get behind me, you man of little faith. Opportunity meets preparedness.
Religion, wetin Africa do you?

10 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Martinez19(m): 1:50am On Sep 11, 2018
Lorenzop:

OP....a little above one year ago I was once in your shoes, Infact the mumu that sacked me told me to my face that I will start all over again, he said several things that will make even a determined soul to shake, then again, my babe left me, my friends stopped calling even when i called they dont pick, I was devastated, i will wake up and cry asking God why friends treat me that way when i know i really was very generous, guess what i said to myself, I am not gonna submit a single CV to anyone because i dont want to go through the era of getting sacked again because there is no guarantee you will keep your job.
Human beings. Some of those friends when they see you on the road, they will snub you as if you don't exist. People were sticking around with you for your money. Next time, learn to trust no one.

6 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Gamesmart: 2:08am On Sep 11, 2018
PEPSI:
Join the ongoing MFM annual 70 days prayer and fasting..buy the book at mfm church or download the app for N500 from google playstore....just remember to come back here and share your testimony! Congrats in advance!

What an idiot!

4 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Ubongdemaga: 2:10am On Sep 11, 2018
konvict0111:
Hey bro, sorry I missed your call. It's not hard at all. Just get their customer service email. I'll check for you because I also use IBTC. Through mail, you can let them know you have lost your job and would like to draw from your Fund monthly until you find another source of income.

It won't take long before they activate this facility for you. Just do it, bro! You will be fine in no time. Cheers!!!
bro please help me with NLPC PFA. Thankz
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Martinez19(m): 2:13am On Sep 11, 2018
This are getting worse and worse in Nigeria. Revolution is supposed to take place but we are not united, brave and long term thinkers. Instead we are full of vanity, instant gratification and comfort seeking. If I tell youths about revolution, they will start arguing nonsense with me. Anyway, if una no wan revolt, there is keke to drive; bags and fractions of rice, beans and garri to sell; bricklaying work to do and modelling work after four solid years in the university. For those doing modelling, you might push it for by snapping and taking nude and obscene pics and videos for cheap attention but that doesn't last long as ratings and earnings still remain low. Good things don't come easily.

OP, take heart and toughen up, you are in the real world. If you are lucky, you might get a job.

5 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by lawrence35(m): 2:52am On Sep 11, 2018
I lost my job 1 year ago, at some point in the job I felt I was too intelligent for the job self.

I got to pick myself up few months ago, the job paid 50k monthly, now I keep wondering how I survived with that salary... I make over 4 times that some months without leaving my house.

We all have something to offer, dream big, even if you work today, remember it's not a family business, learn something new, others go to school to get MSc and stuff. Just keep going forward.

5 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by guru03(m): 3:03am On Sep 11, 2018
its really very difficult more so you are married, if you have friends and family members that can support good, but if you don't have its hell, I was in this condition after losing a job, thank God my wife was the understanding type and can manage even if their is no pampers, as God would have it, my next job was a blessing, imagine my interview was like gisting with Management, the paid for my flight to and fro for interview and being given the appointment letter same day with a juicy pay, don't relent, keep submitting your CV online and offline, your miracle is at hand.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by 93Miles: 3:26am On Sep 11, 2018
UyaiIncomparabl:
Why aren't there comments from females here? Don't you people work too?

OP. Hang in there. You'll be fine. I prophesy that by the end of this month, being my birth month, you shall be surprised with something very decent. Amen.

NL females are self-employed.

HBM to u.
Wishing u heaven's best.
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by fabraham(m): 3:33am On Sep 11, 2018
Ubongdemaga:
bro u have just made a point i pick interest. I mean pensionable job. I lost a job as a prison officer dats level 05/8 @ a salary of 50k as @ 2013. I used to contribute from day 1 since the new pension scheme came on board. It was wrongful termination though i have applied for re-instatement since 2013 but uptill now nothing come forth. I considered wat u have just said by going to my pension fund administrator to ask for my money cos it was my salary that the used to deduct. So as i see this point i pick an interest. I don't knw hw u can guide me by throwing more light. Thankz. My whatspp number is 09020606565 or call 08181703327,. I will really appreciate if u can help.
I am a Pension Fund Administrator and ready to guide you through your 25% lump sum withdrawals.
The requirements are below:
(1)Statement of Account from your bank
(2)Birth cert. /Declaration of age
(3)2passport photo
(4)Disengagement letter
Submit the above to your PFA for processing.
Quote me if you need further clarification.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Nobody: 3:34am On Sep 11, 2018
Ubongdemaga:
Thanks for your kind words, bro. Sorry about your situation, I am sure you will get your re-instatement or something much better before long by God's special grace.

If you have your pension certificate, just pick out the contact details and give them a call. I find it strange that your PFA would not make efforts to reach you up till this time. It's their job to look out for your interest and they should normally contact you if they noticed your employer no longer make monthly contribution on your behalf. If indeed the termination happened in 2013, it's now about 5 years as I count. Or maybe something is wrong. If the termination is dubious as you have suggested then, maybe you are still in Government's payroll somehow, please investigate this again and well.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

FAAN Pays Staff Half Salary After Top Officials, Children Stole Over N750m / 8 ICT Skills In Nigeria And Their Learning Tools / Enugu State University Sacks 153 Lecturers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.