Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:09 AM

How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? (29291 Views)

How Do You Cope With 60k Salary In Port Harcourt ? / How Do You Cope When A Colleague Or Senior Is Not Up To Their Job / Guys, Never Look This Way If You Want To Keep Your Job In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Nobody: 3:40am On Sep 11, 2018
Ubongdemaga:
bro please help me with NLPC PFA. Thankz
Cool, I know them. If you are in Lagos, why not take sometime to visit their office around Anthony Bus stop to find out about your position with them.

Considering the circumstance, I would suggest you play smart by asking them for your account statement, so you can be able to ascertain if your employer is still making contribution despite the termination. Move forward too, by letting them know you would like to draw from your funds until you find your feet again.

Good luck, bro. All will be well.

5 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by fabraham(m): 3:48am On Sep 11, 2018
Ubongdemaga:
bro am in d same shoe as urs o . Abeg if there's a way out u carry me along. I was wit nlpc pension administrator n d last quarter account i have here reads #787,841.09 though i think it should b bigger than that cos my mates figure used to b higher than my own then. I used to contribute #3105.50 every month. I suppose to have retire in 2035. My numbers r whatspp 09020606565, 08181703327,

Yes, it should be higher than that amount. Request for your statement of account from your PFA(NLPC).Going by the figure you quoted up there(i.e N787,841.09),what you will be entitled to is N196,960.27.The remaining balance will be paid after retirement.
The requirements for accessing 25% of your contributions are below:
(1)Statement of Account from your bank
(2)Birth cert. /Declaration of age
(3)2passport photo
(4)Disengagement letter
Submit the above to your PFA for processing.

5 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by cardoctor(m): 4:08am On Sep 11, 2018
Simple. I got another job immediately.
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by caseone(m): 4:20am On Sep 11, 2018
Look for money to buy corolla 2004 for Uber and taxify no time ...
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by gnykelly(m): 5:31am On Sep 11, 2018
obaataaokpaewu:
My friend lost (quit) her job today as a teacher in a private school in Benin. The first day of the new session, said they got to school and saw that the proprietor had employed Corps members so he laid off some of the teachers and told her to resume in the primary section. sad sad sad
She just quit on her own

how will she feed herself.
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by gnykelly(m): 5:36am On Sep 11, 2018
Lorenzop:
It is so unfortunate seeing majority of comments advicing OP to start applying for another job....what then happens when he looses the next one he gets because its obvious he will still quit or get sacked after all its not his father's job...thats the reality.....

OP....a little above one year ago I was once in your shoes, Infact the mumu that sacked me told me to my face that I will start all over again, he said several things that will make even a determined soul to shake, then again, my babe left me, my friends stopped calling even when i called they dont pick, I was devastated, i will wake up and cry asking God why friends treat me that way when i know i really was very generous, guess what i said to myself, I am not gonna submit a single CV to anyone because i dont want to go through the era of getting sacked again because there is no guarantee you will keep your job. I dusted my laptop and delved deeply into the world of the internet (not yahoo pls)...there are several legit business you can do online and yet foot your bills very comfortably, i was so happy with myself because i do things my own way and in my own time. I now have time to even learn a new skill and make myself more valuable, mind you it is a skill that will still keep me self employed comfortably. forget govt and private sector....it will ruin you further. It will be hard initially but once you are determined, you will win...above all and most importantly, be prayerful...without God I wont be where I am today...do not give up bro...cheers

in essence what do you do online
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by obaataaokpaewu: 5:38am On Sep 11, 2018
gnykelly:

how will she feed herself.
She is into tailoring as a side hustle

4 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by uboma(m): 5:41am On Sep 11, 2018
PEPSI:
Join the ongoing MFM annual 70 days prayer and fasting..buy the book at mfm church or download the app for N500 from google playstore....just remember to come back here and share your testimony! Congrats in advance!

Another gullible fellow

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by introvertme: 5:44am On Sep 11, 2018
Carmal90:

Pls can you guide me on cryptocurrency trading...

It's like forex, but a bit deadlier especially if you aren't using your spare funds.
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by introvertme: 5:45am On Sep 11, 2018
UyaiIncomparabl:
Why aren't there comments from females here? Don't you people work too?

OP. Hang in there. You'll be fine. I prophesy that by the end of this month, being my birth month, you shall be surprised with something very decent. Amen.

grin

1 Like

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by uboma(m): 5:53am On Sep 11, 2018
femmoy:
This same thing happened to me in July, I was disengaged from work after spending 8yrs and 5months with the multinational company. I must say it hasn't been funny, I had to adapt to a total change of lifestyle, I stay indoors more often (though boring but I can't just be roaming the streets)........

as of the pension, from my findings u can access 25% of it if after 4 months you don't get any other job.

I've lost my friends (both males and females),and I've really seen another side of life in these short period but then, I still thank God because I have hope.

company job (any salary job) isn't the best one can do in this country. I pray I get back on my feet pretty soon and for as many that are also in my shoes,may God help us all.

You will bounce back.

Remain positive, learn some new skills.

God bless you.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Nobody: 6:01am On Sep 11, 2018
Charlyok:

Thank you Sir, for your great submission.

My previous job was pensionable, but I do not know how to go about filing with the pension Administrator.
It's IBTC Pension. Kindly enlighten me

Thank you all for your contributions and advice.

I don't know the circumstances that led to you being let go. If it has nothing to do with disciplinary action then request for a good reference from your supervisor or boss. This should help with your job search. Use the online portal LinkedIn and try and activate your connections with friends and former colleagues for contacts.

You will do better though by using the money you saved and your pension for establishing your own business.

You may want to sit down and determine what you have a passion for and how you can render those services in a better, well-packaged way. Meeting r needs of people is a good way to start thinking about self employment and entrepreneurship.

People are willing to work in another man's business outfit for decades and then rely on pension in their old age rather than build their own business from ground up in half the time and let their business keep rendering services and making money even after they have passed on.

Wish you all the best.

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by YoungDaNaval(m): 6:02am On Sep 11, 2018
blackgold2018:
pride spotted.
Whatever
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by emmie14: 6:15am On Sep 11, 2018
balaclava:
The Government cannot help you, Private companies cannot help you, recently it is becoming difficult for connection to help. Only God can, but the Nigeria situation of 1job to 1000 applicants makes it complex. 1 job vacancy and all of d applicants believe in God. Abeg wetin God go do? Na 1 position dey na.

It might dismay u to know dt lots and lots of folks are losing their jobs on a daily, unemployment rate is not only increasing but in d recession it's hyper increasing.

Now, what will a guy man do, u r on ur own, u either go legit or illegit.

I bought a show glass, some sandals and palm slippers all totalling about 40k, I looked for a choice location and put it there and started d hustle. God blesses the hustle of his Children

Guy, Dts how i have been living and I have 3 show glasses now in different location of my city, planning for the 4th. Still looking for job since 2016 when my contract job ended but haven't gotten one. Imagine dt I am still waiting for job now. I go wait tire. I go don suffer die. I go dey complain up & down.

Don't put ur fate in the hand of Nigeria. The country is a failed state. You have ur fate in your head. Use it. Don't wait, act!

Don't ever think a kinda job is beneath you, don't live off parent, relatives or friends n if you will let it be very short. Dont live by begging. Have some honor mahn.

And finally don't give dt excuse... where will I find money? U will when u r ready to start small.

Above all I believe in God sincerely & to Him b the glory.

A Nigerian graduate writes.
Bro talk to him again. They are the people that shout Sai Baba. APC APC. Let us discard party and look for competent leadership. They will still call young people learning trade in our markets jobless and illiterates. University degrees is not mandate for success.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by emmie14: 6:17am On Sep 11, 2018
balaclava:
The Government cannot help you, Private companies cannot help you, recently it is becoming difficult for connection to help. Only God can, but the Nigeria situation of 1job to 1000 applicants makes it complex. 1 job vacancy and all of d applicants believe in God. Abeg wetin God go do? Na 1 position dey na.

It might dismay u to know dt lots and lots of folks are losing their jobs on a daily, unemployment rate is not only increasing but in d recession it's hyper increasing.

I bought a show glass, some sandals and palm slippers all totalling about 40k, I looked for a choice location and put it there and started d hustle. God blesses the hustle of his Children

Guy, Dts how i have been living and I have 3 show glasses now in different location of my city, planning for the 4th. Still looking for job since 2016 when my contract job ended but haven't gotten one. Imagine dt I am still waiting for job now. I go wait tire. I go don suffer die. I go dey complain up & down.

Don't put ur fate in the hand of Nigeria. The country is a failed state. You have ur fate in your head. Use it. Don't wait, act!

Don't ever think a kinda job is beneath you, don't live off parent, relatives or friends n if you will let it be very short. Dont live by begging. Have some honor mahn.

And finally don't give dt excuse... where will I find money? U will when u r ready to start small.

Bro talk to him again. They are the people that shout Sai Baba. APC APC. Let us discard party and look for competent leadership. They will still call young people learning trade in our markets jobless and illiterates. University degrees is not mandate for success.
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Ejadike(m): 6:18am On Sep 11, 2018
Lorenzop:
It is so unfortunate seeing majority of comments advicing OP to start applying for another job....what then happens when he looses the next one he gets because its obvious he will still quit or get sacked after all its not his father's job...thats the reality.....

OP....a little above one year ago I was once in your shoes, Infact the mumu that sacked me told me to my face that I will start all over again, he said several things that will make even a determined soul to shake, then again, my babe left me, my friends stopped calling even when i called they dont pick, I was devastated, i will wake up and cry asking God why friends treat me that way when i know i really was very generous, guess what i said to myself, I am not gonna submit a single CV to anyone because i dont want to go through the era of getting sacked again because there is no guarantee you will keep your job. I dusted my laptop and delved deeply into the world of the internet (not yahoo pls)...there are several legit business you can do online and yet foot your bills very comfortably, i was so happy with myself because i do things my own way and in my own time. I now have time to even learn a new skill and make myself more valuable, mind you it is a skill that will still keep me self employed comfortably. forget govt and private sector....it will ruin you further. It will be hard initially but once you are determined, you will win...above all and most importantly, be prayerful...without God I wont be where I am today...do not give up bro...cheers
what online job is that?
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by YoungDaNaval(m): 6:35am On Sep 11, 2018
cucumbae:
Are they not employees?They don't do such.The worst is they will tear your CV after you have left their presence.
Your name though!

1 Like

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by mynamewilfred(m): 6:49am On Sep 11, 2018
It's so sad losing one's job, the experience is unthinkable. Pressure from all sides will start coming in especially from the closest persons to you. I lost my job about a year ago but believe God will turn things around soon. He definitely pick my call, I've been applying both in hard copies and soft but yet to hit the bull's eye. It's well with everybody under this situation. Godspeed !

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by deebrownneymar: 6:50am On Sep 11, 2018
divinelove:

If you have a car turn it to taxi drop immediately and turn to taxi man while hustling for another job. You cant afford to stay at home idle, idleness and boredom kills faster than anything.

Where are the money you saved while working, start thinking of the investment or business to start to keep earning.

that is why saving is a must while working.

pray to God and hopefully things will get better

don't stay idle while job hunting BC an average person takes over 5years to secure a meaningful job

1st comment that made sense
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by millionboi2: 6:52am On Sep 11, 2018
EGBEDA101:
Go to the business section of this forum, look for iykepromotions thread on domain flipping, look for vanzel thread on fiverr.Get a note book, read from page one to the last, by the time you see how much people make a month without leaving their houses, you won't be thinking of carrying CV about ever again!

Just my little advise cos I was once in your shoes.
Can u help me stand?
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by Lorenzop: 6:52am On Sep 11, 2018
lanre88:

Would be elated if you could share please.

I need to learn things and build up myself.

Thank you.
Cryptocurrency trading, article writing, Social media management and lots more....all from the comfort of my home and as God will have it....I still foot my bills comfortably and the beauty of this is that you can take several jobs at the same time and combine, you get as exposed to even bigger opportunities, as it stands should Crypto bull season set in.....hehehheehe, God be praised. Blockchain is offering several opportunities daily, learn a programming skill if you can because AI et al are taking over, these office jobs people scramble to keep will soon be gone as Robotics becomes more advanced. Believe me the Internet is a goldmine for a determined soul, one has to be patience but surely the reward will come

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by zeedof(m): 7:08am On Sep 11, 2018
I will just go back to yahoo.. thank God I have idea... I knew how many cv on our cso table that's BM is not aware of despite of MD or Board...
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by EGBEDA101: 7:10am On Sep 11, 2018
Lorenzop:

Cryptocurrency trading, article writing, Social media management and lots more....all from the comfort of my home and as God will have it....I still foot my bills comfortably and the beauty of this is that you can take several jobs at the same time and combine, you get as exposed to even bigger opportunities, as it stands should Crypto bull season set in.....hehehheehe, God be praised. Blockchain is offering several opportunities daily, learn a programming skill if you can because AI et al are taking over, these office jobs people scramble to keep will soon be gone as Robotics becomes more advanced. Believe me the Internet is a goldmine for a determined soul, one has to be patience but surely the reward will come

Now this is a man who has seen the light.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 7:14am On Sep 11, 2018
introvertme:

grin

What's funny? Are you a lad of little faith too?
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by buJu234: 7:15am On Sep 11, 2018
do u knw that there are alot of jobs in the informal sectors of the Nigerian economy?

our problem is that we have so belittle these opportunities; and we want to be wearing ties even if its 25k per mth..

just imagine, if u knw how to drive, what stops u from being a Taxify,Uber or even clean danfo driver (especially the ones in Ajah to V.I).

i dont knw how much they make o, but just imagine making 3,000 naira per day. thats 75k per mth for 25 working days.

if u are so good in financial management, u can save 30k per mth. multiply that by 12mths (1yr) thats min. 360k. after 3yrs worst case scenario, u should have gotten ur own bus.

repeat that for the next 3yrs u should have 2 buses, u ride one, give the other out and be collecting income.

so u can see, that there are alot of opportunities in the informal sectors from agriculture to transport to retailing to logistics etc..

our problem is that we dont want to get our hands dirty, all in the name of being a graduate.

6 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by michlins(m): 7:19am On Sep 11, 2018
balaclava:

you are a real G. Kudos
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by tiwatomi(m): 7:20am On Sep 11, 2018
I have been through this before, I didn't sit at home. I started small business with little that I have, although the business eventually crumble because my demands is much higher than my income from the business but I use to search for job online as well and make calls with friends that can help out and I eventually got a job through referral.
Is not easy, the one year is like hell but I thank God, mind you I learnt a lot during this period , that the best thing is to have your own business. ( preferablly service oriented bussiness) So, what I do immediately I got this job is that I empower my wife and we go into school business because she is a teacher as am talking to you now we have our own private primary and secondary built by us, so, if I lost my work this time around again won't bother to look for any than to join my wife in the school business

5 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by MrJanuzaj: 7:23am On Sep 11, 2018
I lost my Job in 2015 in a Nigerian Bank. I sold my car Immediately to pay my rent and feed for the mean time. A lot of people that clog round me then as friends and associated ran away from me. They deserted me most refusing to pick my call and avoided me like a plague, most of them if you chat them on whatsap or facebook the will never respond. It's was only 1 of my university days friend that work in a big company in Lagos that that keep encouraging and helping me, My girlfriend never gave up on me, she is staying in a nearby state, so during some weekends she will come and buy foods stuffs for me and stay with me to encourage me., my family members also send money sometimes for me. I keep applying for any kind of Job. But i became lucky and got a scholarship to study a masters degree in the UK in 2017 January. While studying i was able to save money to register for my PhD.
I am currently in my First year PHd now. Most of those my runaway "friends" now are back chatting endlessly, even some of the girls that never knew i existed are now positioning them selves for marriage. Lol.
My lovely Girlfriend now Wife. will join me early next year here in the UK as a dependent.

The key here is i refused to engage in any bad activity, kept my head focused and accept the new reality and worked towards coming out better. I thank God that the bank even sacked me, i am far far better now, sometimes things like these are blessing in disguise, and it afforded me the opportunity to see how my girl loved me and how fake and real some of my friends are.

39 Likes 11 Shares

Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 7:25am On Sep 11, 2018
93Miles:

NL females are self-employed.

HBM to u.
Wishing u heaven's best.

Self-employed you say?

How did you come about such immediate assertion? Get your facts right.

Happy HBM to you too (Whatever that means). Wishing you heaven's best.
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 7:30am On Sep 11, 2018
Martinez19:
Religion, wetin Africa do you?

What is it, you mortal man?
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by millionboi2: 7:37am On Sep 11, 2018
Carmal90:

Pls can you guide me on cryptocurrency trading...
Don't try it
Re: How Did You Cope When You Lost Your Job? by breakeven: 7:37am On Sep 11, 2018
When I lost my job, the first thing I did was to change my ways by seeking God . When I found God, the second thing I did was to develop myself by enrolling for a program. In the university. I then started looking for a job and I got one even better than my first job. Today I am happier and have peace in God.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

FAAN Pays Staff Half Salary After Top Officials, Children Stole Over N750m / 8 ICT Skills In Nigeria And Their Learning Tools / Enugu State University Sacks 153 Lecturers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.