Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,111 members, 7,852,762 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 04:35 AM

What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? (4822 Views)

Saharareporters Fixation On Sen Bukola Saraki / @saharareporters Fixation On @bukolasaraki Shows Clearly This Has Gone Beyon / Saharareporters Fixation On @bukolasaraki Shows Clearly This Has Gone Beyond Of (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Kobojunkie: 5:44pm On Jul 12, 2010
ibkaye:

Lol can't ignore something that isn't there (i'll add in terms of my personal experiences, of course)
If you ignored it or are in denial of it, how would you know it is even there in the first place? The problem is tribalism is almost now an accepted part of our being as Nigerians. Most people live and breathe it on a regular basis and many of those who are supposed to be against it have kept quiet long enough for it to no longer pose a problem to them. Only problem is, it is part and parcel of what keeps us were we continue to remain and the longer we live in denial of this, the longer we remain where we have been.
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by MrFire: 5:44pm On Jul 12, 2010
bk/babe90:

Seeing where your going with this, I'll elect to ignore u for as long as possible. I just hope the rest NLers are watching and noticing that u, along with one other whom I'll chose not to mention, are the ones attacking me. Becus, when I decide to attack not only u, but your whole community (including your revered bearded hero) I hope noone will be quick to label me a hater of your tribes men. Keep forcing your whole arm down my throat. . . . .

Yeah! Look for every excuse to ply your trade. You cannot change and you know it; you hate-filled maggot.
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jul 12, 2010
Kobojunkie:

If you ignored it or are in denial of it, how would you know it is even there in the first place? The problem is tribalism is almost now an accepted part of our being as Nigerians. Most people live and breathe it on a regular basis and many of those who are supposed to be against it have kept quiet long enough for it to no longer pose a problem to them. Only problem is, it is part and parcel of what keeps us were we continue to remain and the longer we live in denial of this, the longer we remain where we have been.

I am aware that tribalism amongst Nigerians is not limited to Nigeria alone however me not being brought up in Nigeria definitely has something to do with my 'lack of experience' with it, like I said, I didn't ignore it because it just wasn't there in my world, it's new to me
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by bkbabe90(m): 5:51pm On Jul 12, 2010
Mr Fire:

Yeah! Look for every excuse to ply your trade. You cannot change and you know it; you hate-filled maggot.

Lol. Keep pushing, soon u'll deliver. . . .  change wut u son of a donkey, did I tell u I was trying to change anything? Do I look like the poster? Can u read? Are u anything other than an as.s.wipe? your response is needed soonest, dearest idiotic sir!
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by MrFire: 5:54pm On Jul 12, 2010
bk/babe90:

Lol. Keep pushing, soon u'll deliver. . . . change wut u son of a donkey, did I tell u I was trying to change anything? Do I look like the poster? Can u read? Are u anything other than an slowpoke? your response is need soonest, dearest idiotic sir!

WTF was that? Grammar repete (naija lingo). You son of a dog, I am on your case until you change from your hate-filled ways, if you ever will.
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by bkbabe90(m): 5:58pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

When did he suggest that he sees the errors of his ways?

A tiger cannot change its pattern.

Do u ever read before responding? Or, rather, CAN U READ?!

Ikengawo:

^[b]yeah, but i've learned the errors of my past ways c[/b]ause they're nerdy, silly and ignorant.
and that's all that's being discussed on this site so of course i'll discuss it as well wtf?
if someone is talking about igbos are this and that of course i will was whatever his tribe is is this and that, that's life.

Do u now see where he said it u boy-girl?
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Kobojunkie: 5:58pm On Jul 12, 2010
ibkaye:

I am aware that tribalism amongst Nigerians is not limited to Nigeria alone[size=13pt] however me not being brought up in Nigeria definitely has something to do with my 'lack of experience' with it[/size], like I said, I didn't ignore it because it just wasn't there in my world, it's new to me
case closed, right? Wrong!

There are many who were brought up outside of Nigeria that are even worse than some of those who were. I read a couple of weeks ago the story of a Nairalander who was brought up never knowing his village yet this boy talks as if it is all there is to fight and live for.
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jul 12, 2010
Kobojunkie:

case closed!
I suppose I should have made that clear from the beginning, my apologies

Kobojunkie:

There are many who were brought up outside of Nigeria that are even worse than some of those who were. I read a couple of weeks ago the story of a Nairalander who was brought up never knowing his village yet this boy talks as if it is all there is to fight and live for.
Definitely, I'm just not one of them
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jul 12, 2010
bk/babe90:

Do u ever read before responding? Or, rather, CAN U READ?!

Dont look to me for a fight. Face Mekusxyz, he's giving you the FIRE you need. Face front

Mr. Fire, plz continue o, he needs more FIRE

Kobojunkie:

case closed, right? Wrong!

There's a lot of them on NL.
If closely observed, when most of them were newcommers, they hardly knew about Nigeria. . . . a few days on NL turns them into their village's champion.
The power of NL.
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by paddylo1(m): 6:02pm On Jul 12, 2010
case closed!

u cant be closing cases cause i have already stated that i was raised in Nigeria and i am not familiar with tribalism. . .

u cant pick and choose whatever advances your wrong assertions. . .

If u were a tribalists when growing up,fine and dandy for u
but dont ascribe it to majority of Nigerians

or have u seen me engage in your petty tribal insults on here?
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by bkbabe90(m): 6:02pm On Jul 12, 2010
Mr Fire:

WTF was that? Grammar repete (naija lingo). You son of a dog, I am on your case until you change from your hate-filled ways, if you ever will.

Good! Professor s.tu.pid! I modified it. Did u have an orga.s.m? Did it feel good? Any fool (like the two retards that birthed u) will know that it was a "simple error", considering that my previous grammar clearly outclasses the "childish" third grade wordings ure fond of putting up here! U wanna be on my case? Welcome! Just dont scream "Ra.pe" as I verbally sodo.mize u!
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jul 12, 2010
paddy_lo:

u cant be closing cases cause i have already stated that i was raised in Nigeria and i am not familiar with tribalism. . .

u cant pick and choose whatever advances your wrong assertions. . .

If u were a tribalists when growing up,fine and dandy for u
but dont ascribe it to majority of Nigerians

or have u seen me engage in your petty tribal insults on here?

She modified. To reply KoboJ's post, you gotta wait like 5 mins for her to modify lol

I too was raised half-in-half in both world, still sensed no trace of tribalism.
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by ezeagu(m): 6:03pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ikengawo:

When im around real nigerians, the issue almost NEVER comes up

How many times do you think that the different ethnic groups that were in Northern Nigeria talked about their differences before they started slaughtering each other?
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

If closely observed, when most of them were newcommers, they hardly knew about Nigeria. . . . a few days on NL turns them into their village's champion.
The power of NL.
lol yes yes yes cheesy
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by paddylo1(m): 6:04pm On Jul 12, 2010
Dont look to me for a fight. Face Mekusxyz, he's giving you the FIRE you need. Face front

so Mekusxyz = Mr Fire. . LMAO. . .
na real tribal fire dem dey. . .
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jul 12, 2010
paddy_lo:

so Mekusxyz = Mr Fire. . LMAO. . .
na real tribal fire dem dey. . .

Lol two tribalists fighting each other.

ibkaye:

lol yes yes yes cheesy
Not talking about you suga. You're still madam "posh" wink
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by bkbabe90(m): 6:07pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Face front? Nah, biyytch, u dont tell me where to face! Besides, ure the biyytch, u face front as I do u violently from behind, slu.t! Hahahahahha. Hehehehehehehe. Mekuxshitty is Mr.Fire!?!?! Thanx for snitching him out, ho! This is going to make this murder even sweeter!
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Kobojunkie: 6:08pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

The power of NL.
I don't believe NL is responsible . . . I believe the continued exposure to other Nigerians over the days awakens that dormant trait in them. Even folks you do well with abroad may turn on you the minute you both enter the Nigerian border.
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Not talking about you suga. You're still madam "posh" wink
hardly, live with me for a week cheesy
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by ezeagu(m): 6:11pm On Jul 12, 2010
Look:

[size=15pt]Nigeria wins World Cup hate trophy[/size]

June 26 2010

A flood of death threats were issued against Nigerian player Sani Kaita following his costly red card against Greece in their World Cup match.

Why had Kaita behaved so irresponsibly, lashed out at a Greek player and got himself sent off?

Readers of the popular kickoffnigeria.com website had an answer. It was because of his tribe, they argued. Kaita is a member of the pastoralist Fulani ethnic community mostly found in the north of Nigeria.

The readers in their online postings argued that football is too serious a matter to be left to Fulanis. One guy who identified himself as Olosi wrote: “I think it’s high time we broke this useless country called Nigeria up into pieces. Let these good-for-nothing mallams (cattle rearers) go and live with their poverty-stricken brethren in Niger and Chad! Kaita, you are as good as dead!”

Another one thundered: “Keep apology to yourself. You are a bad omen and never a professional. I advise you to go back to your mallam business of cow rearing. IDIOT”.

There was more to come from one ‘Chuks’: “This [size=15pt]aboki[/size] should be expelled from the Eagles hotel and hand him stick to go and rear cows. I hope no idiot in that NFF (Nigerian Football Federation) will ever mention his name in Eagles again in life. Such irresponsible and unprofessional act should not be condoned any more … God save us with [size=15pt]all these abokis in our midst[/size].”

Why is it that Africans tend to recoil into the tribe every time there is a contentious issue in society? There is little doubt that excessive concentration on ethnicity is one of the most important factors holding back development in Africa. It certainly was one of the main reasons why we took up pangas after the 2007 elections.

A number of theories have been advanced to explain why some individuals tend to embrace ethnicity more than others. It may be a reaction to personal inadequacies with the collective whole being seen as a refuge from individual failings. Those are the ones that will argue that they are likely to enjoy economic success, say, or are generally honest because they are Kikuyu or Luo.

State failure is another of the most powerful reasons. This is the argument advanced in a new book by Gary Younge, a journalist for the UK’s Guardian newspaper.

Younge argues in Who are We and Should It Matter in the 21st Century that many people around the world are retreating into personal identities such as tribe or religion to seek security against a state which they view as indifferent to their lives. That is certainly true of countries such as Kenya and Nigeria. Very often, your chances of landing a job will be improved if you have a strategically placed tribesman in an organisation. The tribe therefore replaces the state as a source of patronage and security.

I disagree with Koigi Wamwere that the new constitution will worsen matters. It might be one of the biggest tools in the fight against what Mr Wamwere calls negative ethnicity. By devolving funds to counties, it will make the centre less powerful and, as a consequence, the presidency will progressively become less attractive. It will not be a matter of life and death to get your tribesman into State House because there is a constitutional guarantee that 15 per cent of the total tax collection will find its way to the grassroots.

In fact, the most intense competitions in the future will be within ethnic groups as they compete for powerful positions such as county governor. Yet another reason not to give the proposed constitution a red card.
http://www.nation.co.ke/oped/Opinion/Nigeria%20wins%20World%20Cup%20hate%20trophy/-/440808/947040/-/a2gqet/-/

Only on Nairaland, right. . . . . . . ?
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by MrFire: 6:12pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ileke-Idi,

Hell no! I am no Mekus or whatever. Have not even heard that name before. I am the fire that guts eediots like the maggot bk/babe 90
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Kobojunkie: 6:14pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

I too was raised half-in-half in both world, still sensed no trace of tribalism.
Interesting . . .  care to explain if you, during those years, heard rants similar to those highlighted in the article above?
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jul 12, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I don't believe NL is responsible . . . I believe the continued exposure to other Nigerians awakens that dormant trait in them.

That too. But you have to think about what is being said on NL.
Ok, let me be real. I only found out that I was Ekiti after I came on NL. I used to think I was "Nigerian, even thought my language was Nigerian. I didnt pay mind any specifications. Knowing where I'm from, I become more patriotic to my people and my state especially. Now, imagine me reading somewhere on NL where someone was bad-talking my state and people. I begin to feel resentment towards that person. Now also imagine another one of my ppl replying that person in return. This doesnt just happen once o, but daily on NL. What do you think I'll start thinking? What do you think I'll start saying? I, too, will become a tribalist. Fortunately, I'm not that weak-minded.

Mr Fire:

Ileke-Idi,

Hell no! I am no Mekus or whatever. Have not even heard that name before. I am the fire that guts eediots like the maggot bk/babe 90
Hmm no? Are you his alter ego? You two sound/behave alike sha. But keep giving the fire, I like grin

@Ibk
No oh, I dont want to be posh too lol
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jul 12, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Interesting . . .  care to explain if you, during those years, heard rants similar to those highlighted in the article above?
Hmm no. My mom usually played Igbo music, spoke a lil Igbo and hausa to me and talked abt stories of her and her Igbo friends in Nigeria. This was after I began asking her questions.

Mehn, just observe newcommers on NL and how they change based on what they read. Even bk/babe knew nothing about Nigeria until he started posting and started find out facts from friends.

Recently tho, she's been telling me not to bring home an Hausa grin
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Kobojunkie: 6:21pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Now, imagine me reading somewhere on NL where someone was bad-talking my state and people.
I begin to feel resentment towards that person. Now also imagine another one of my ppl replying that person in return. This doesnt just happen once o, but daily on NL. What do you think I'll start thinking? What do you think I'll start saying? I, too, will become a tribalist. Fortunately, I'm not that weak-minded.
Well, depends!! My first couple of months on Nairaland, I was attacked by people who could not stand that I did not think as they did. Did not cause me to recent them but instead I understood all too well that there were those out there who needed and fed on being able to control everything, and would attack anything beyond them.
You should have seen the many threads insulting me based on my sexuality or that which is not known of it. Check Nairaland archives to find the many pages of discussions on my person, my sexuality and even my nationality. LOL
The point is tribalism is drug of the weak minded . .  fine but it has little to do with Nairaland. Nairaland only helps reveal what already exists.
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Kobojunkie: 6:23pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Hmm no. My mom usually played Igbo music, spoke a lil Igbo and hausa to me and talked abt stories of her and her Igbo friends in Nigeria. This was after I began asking her questions.

Your mom? Did you mingle with people outside of your home though? lol

What about the people in the neighborhood, friends, relatives(apart from mom), etc?
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jul 12, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Your mom? Did you mingle with people outside of your home though? lol

What about the people in the neighborhood, friends, relatives(apart from mom), etc?
Yea, at Naija parties. But we all thought we were NIGERIANS. Nobody talks about tribes, nobody knew abt tribes.

Most Nigerians around me only spoke English, the lil spoke Yoruba. Most Nigerians around me were Yoruba.

i knew this Igbo chick in elementary school, we just spoke English. Even tho she's in my Uni, now knowing we are from different tribes, we still talk like two PEOPLE. Tribe doesnt change anything.

It's a problem when one force feed their children into tribalism, that's what I call child abuse.

Kobojunkie:

Well, depends!! My first couple of months on Nairaland, I was attacked by people who could not stand that I did not think as they did. Did not cause me to recent them but instead I understood all too well that there were those out there who needed and fed on being able to control everything, and would attack anything beyond them.
You should have seen the many threads insulting me based on my sexuality or that which is not known of it. Check Nairaland archives to find the many pages of discussions on my person, my sexuality and even my nationality. LOL
The point is tribalism is drug of the weak minded . .  fine but it has little to do with Nairaland. Nairaland only helps reveal what already exists.

Yea, I saw those thread. Just made you more intriguing honestly. To me, if ppl talk abt someone constantly, I tend to read that person's post more often to find out the truth.  undecided
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Yea, at Naija parties. But we all thought we were NIGERIANS. Nobody talks about tribes, nobody knew abt tribes.
Exactly
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by ezeagu(m): 6:34pm On Jul 12, 2010

Failed state index 2010
. . .
1-3. Legacy of Vengeance-Seeking Group Grievance or Group Paranoia

[Worst to better]

Sudan
Chad
Sri Lanka
Somalia
Nigeria
Iraq
Pakistan
Afghanistan
Bangladesh
Israel

http://www.fundforpeace.org/web/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=99&Itemid=140
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by bkbabe90(m): 6:35pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Hmm no? Are you his alter ego? You two sound/behave alike sha. But keep giving the fire, I like grin

You like the fire, eh? Dont cry when it consumes your already over-tarred aszz (not like u can get any bluer than u already are).

P.S:Hows the business with stalking Ezeuche going? Good? Cus last I seen he was begging u to go kill urself and leave him the hell alone!

Mr Fire:

Ileke-Idi,

slowpoke! The typical Mekuxshitty way: Idiotic to the core! They asked if u was Mekusxshitty. You replied that ure not MEKUS; the same name he ascribed himself when referring to himself in the 3rd person. Dummy! Who r u fooling? Please, take your violation like a man (or as the dog u are), and dont start biyytching. . . . even tho ure one!

P.S: Is that kindergaten shiyyt u got up there what I should be expecting more of, cus if thats the case I'm willing to concede now cus thats, like, no competition for moi!
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jul 12, 2010
grin"

Ringing up Mr. Fire. "Sir, plz come and pick up your garbage"
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Kobojunkie: 6:37pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Most Nigerians around me only spoke English, the lil spoke Yoruba. Most Nigerians around me were Yoruba.
That explains a whole lot !
Ileke-IdI:

i knew this Igbo chick in elementary school, we just spoke English. Even tho she's in my Uni, now knowing we are from different tribes, we still talk like two PEOPLE. Tribe doesnt change anything.
cool . . . I am getting the impression that you lived a seriously sheltered life. I can't put my finger on it but what you are describing does not seem like the typical life in Nigeria. Even Children of the so-called upperclass are exposed in some way and I have no clue how to even fit you in there.
Ileke-IdI:

It's a problem when one force feed their children into tribalism, that's what I call child abuse.
I don't believe parents are to blame for this one either. Sure, there are parents who feed their children horrible stories, and some mean no harm when they do but I don't think parents are solely to blame.
I would blame experience more than I would blame parents in this. Anyone who experienced anyone of the many acts perpetrated against one people or another in the name of tribalism, would walk away scarred in some way.
Consider that most every Nigerian has no clue what slavery is or what it is like. But the minute so many step into America or Europe, they almost immediately adopt this "victim" mentality and start speaking of how they were or are being oppressed by this group or that group. Many go as far as to mention slavery by the white man in every other statement they make.  You see this most everywhere out here and sometimes I wonder if it is just low self esteem being masked in that way.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

One Million Five Hundred Thousand Nigerians Died / We Are Not Sure Boko Haram Sent Video-fg / Okenze Osuigwe Opens Up: Ndigbo Begged IBB To Annul June 12

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.