Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,549 members, 7,847,282 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 02:41 PM

What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? (4818 Views)

Saharareporters Fixation On Sen Bukola Saraki / @saharareporters Fixation On @bukolasaraki Shows Clearly This Has Gone Beyon / Saharareporters Fixation On @bukolasaraki Shows Clearly This Has Gone Beyond Of (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by bkbabe90(m): 6:39pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

grin"

Ringing up Mr. Fire. "Sir, plz come and pick up your garbage"

U really luv pain, dont ya? First, Sefago, then Ezeuche, now its His Royal Highness. Well, I also have a penchant for being Sado-Masochist, so, I'ma gladly oblige ur requests!!! grin
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by paddylo1(m): 6:43pm On Jul 12, 2010
@Ilekeidi/Ibkaye

a lot of ppl that do this tribal nonsense on Nairaland are usually anonymous

u check their profile,no face,nothing. . .

Now u have to see why u cant take them serious. .

Imagine me that grew up in multicultural lagos/Abuja. . spewing garbage on-line

Not only that i have a kid sister,who has best friends from all over nigeria,yoruba,igbo,delta,calabar,hausa and so on. . .

Then imagine her big bro(me). . .yarning opaks online about tribe this tribe that

how embarrassing is that. . .lol

so again these dolts are just attention seekers nothing more. . . .
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by ezeagu(m): 6:45pm On Jul 12, 2010
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by chiogo(f): 6:47pm On Jul 12, 2010
@Poster, first of all, you need to stop using the word 'tribe' . . .it's so archaic.

Anyways, Nairaland is definitely a reflection of Nigeria as a country, believe me. We can make excuses all we want but the truth is many Nigerians are truly ethnocentric. Nairaland, being an anonymous site where you don't even have to see the face of the person spewing the crap, gives the ethnocentric ones(there are many of them), more freedom to do so.

I was with a lot of Nigerians this weekend, went to renew my Nigerian passport. Just watching people interact - the noise, the so-called officials trying to connive people into paying more money than necessary for the renewal, unstable internet - no standard computer but laptops being used to process important documents like that.

Ah, well I digress but Naija people are def. a perfect reflection of the country and its situation, whether online or in the real world. Same thing! I wonder why I blame the government - the people are just as bad. Even, I'm part of the problem. LOL
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jul 12, 2010
Kobojunkie:

That explains a whole lot !

Yeamaybe. But there used to be this Igbo lady living around us. She used to cry to my mom about her husband. My mom na amebo, always gotta solve ppl's problem  cool But there still was no hint of tribalism undecided

cool . . . I am getting the impression that you lived a seriously sheltered life. I can't put my finger on it but what you are describing does not seem like the typical life in Nigeria.
Then you might as well get an impression that bk/babe is Igbo. Negative.
My mom just didnt bother telling me about Nigeria until I started asking, but we always speak Yoruba at home. Even if I ask her now, she'll tell me to ask Google grin

I don't believe parents are to blame for this one either. Sure, there are parents who feed their children horrible stories, and some mean no harm when they do but I don't think parents are solely to blame.
I would blame experience more than I would blame parents in this. Anyone who experienced anyone of the many acts perpetrated against one people or another in the name of tribalism, would walk away scarred in some way.
C[b]onsider that most every Nigerian has no clue what slavery is or what it is like. But the minute so many step into America or Europe, they almost immediately adopt this "victim" mentality and start speaking of how they were or are being oppressed by this group or that group. Many go as far as to mention slavery by the white man in every other statement they make.  You see this most everywhere out here and sometimes I wonder if it is just low self esteem being masked in that way[/b]
True but why tell a child a story that scared you? Arent you also scaring the child?

I strted hating on the North when my mom told me stories of her incident in Zambia or some state up North like that.  cry

ROTFLMAO! So true about Nigerians not knowing about slavery. If you listen to Nigerians here talking about racism slavry days, you'd think they were slaves. "Awon fifun yen, wo tun ro pe ojo slavery la si wa ni.Awon ole ti won ko fe sise moh"
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by MrFire: 6:48pm On Jul 12, 2010
bk/babe90,

Maggot of the first order. Where did Ileke Idi refer to Mekus (whoever he is) as mekushyyty?

You son of  regurgitate
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by paddylo1(m): 6:50pm On Jul 12, 2010
@Poster, first of all, you need to stop using the word 'tribe' . . .it's so archaic.

Anyways, Nairaland is definitely a reflection of Nigeria as a country, believe me. We can make excuses all we want but the truth is many Nigerians are truly ethnocentric. Nairaland, being an anonymous site where you don't even have to see the face of the person spewing the crap, gives the ethnocentric ones(there are many of them), more freedom to do so.

I was with a lot of Nigerians this weekend, went to renew my Nigerian passport. Just watching people interact - the noise, the so-called officials trying to connive people into paying more money than necessary for the renewal, unstable internet - no standard computer but laptops being used to process important documents like that.

Ah, well I digress but Naija people are def. a perfect reflection of the country and its situation, whether online or in the real world. Same thing! I wonder why I blame the government - the people are just as bad.
@Chiogo. . .
dont mean to digress. . .i gotta renew my passport in 2weeks
where were u exactly,DC or NY

what did u have to bring. .  and how long did it take(can u do it in a day). . .thanks
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jul 12, 2010
bk/babe90:

U really luv pain, dont ya? First, Sefago, then Ezeuche, now its His Royal Highness. Well, I also have a penchant for being Sado-Masochist, so, I'ma gladly oblige your requests!!! grin
No thanks, sugar.

paddy_lo:

@Ilekeidi/Ibkaye

a lot of ppl that do this tribal nonsense on Nairaland are usually anonymous

u check their profile,no face,nothing. . .

Now u have to see why u cant take them serious. .

Imagine me that grew up in multicultural lagos/Abuja. . spewing garbage on-line

Not only that i have a kid sister,who has best friends from all over nigeria,yoruba,igbo,delta,calabar,hausa and so on. . .

Then imagine her big bro(me). . .yarning opaks online about tribe this tribe that

how embarrassing is that. . .lol

so again these dolts are just attention seekers nothing more. . . .

Exactly!!!!!

Take Willy+Willy and becomrichh for an example.
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Kobojunkie: 6:56pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Yea maybe. But there used to be this Igbo lady living around us. She used to cry to my mom about her husband. My mom na amebo, always gotta solve ppl's problem  cool But there still was no hint of tribalism undecided
Well, consider the woman used to intimate your mom of her private life and all. What tribalist hint do you think would exist there?
Ileke-IdI:

Then you might as well get an impression that bk/babe is Igbo. Negative.
My mom just didnt bother telling me about Nigeria until I started asking, but we always speak Yoruba at home. Even if I ask her now, she'll tell me to ask Google grin
But I thought you said you grew up partly in Nigeria? Did you go to primary school or any school at all down there? If yes, did the school have a different curriculum or something? I ask because most Nigerian students learn of Nigeria from primary school.

I am still vibing here that you lived some sheltered life! You talk more of your mum in relation to this but not much about actual interactions you had with Nigerians in your area growing up and such.
Ileke-IdI:

True but why tell a child a story that scared you? Arent you also scaring the child?
You tell a child scary stories to help him/her understand the fears that exist out there. Evil exists, and for some that evil happens to be from another tribe.
Ileke-IdI:

I strted hating on the North when my mom told me stories of her incident in Zambia or some state up North like that.  cry
Well, I am not a tribalist myself . . . I really do not give a hoot what the next man's tribe/ethnicity is, but I do fear those northerners who could turn the next second to slash my throat cause I am of a different tribe or religion. If I am in the north and someone screams, I will run for my dear life!! ROFLMAO!!
Ileke-IdI:

ROTFLMAO! So true about Nigerians not knowing about slavery. If you listen to Nigerians here talking about racism slavry days, you'd think they were slaves. "Awon fifun yen, wo tun ro pe ojo slavery la si wa ni.Awon ole ti won ko fe sise moh"
They disgust me!
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by bkbabe90(m): 7:00pm On Jul 12, 2010
Mr Fire:

bk/babe90,

Maggot of the first order. Where did Ileke Idi refer to Mekus (whoever he is) as mekushyyty?

You son of  regurgitate

This is wut ure coming with? I hit u with a sledgehammer and u come at me with a half-melted candle? Please, go and die in an alley somewhere. Youre no competition! I refuse to answer u after this!
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jul 12, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Well, consider the woman used to intimate your mom of her private life and all. What tribalist hint do you think would exist there?B
None at all. So how was I supposed to know about tribalism?

But I thought you said you grew up partly in Nigeria? Did you go to primary school or any school at all down there? If yes, did the school have a different curriculum or something? I ask because most Nigerian students learn of Nigeria from primary school.

I am still vibing here that you lived some sheltered life! You talk more of your mum in relation to this but not much about actual interactions you had with Nigerians in your area growing up and such
I lived in Lagos as a lil kid where English was only permitted. I was even slapped for speaking Ekiti.
When I went to Ado, we spoke Yoruba. I left Nigeria at an age when I still run naked in the rain with my cousins tongue

KoboJ, I was not sheltered! There was no Nigerians in my elementary school except for that Igbo chick. No Nigerians in my middle school either. At the middle of High school, abt one Nigerian chick who might as well be akata undecided So where is the interaction. That's why I became obsessed with NL grin

You tell a child scary stories to help him/her understand the fears that exist out there. Evil exists, and for some that evil happens to be from another tribe.
I'd spare my child that. Yea, I will.

Well, I am not a tribalist myself . . . I really do not give a hoot what the next man's tribe/ethnicity is, but I do fear those northerners who could turn the next second to slash my throat cause I am of a different tribe or religion. If I am in the north and someone screams, I will run for my dear life!! ROFLMAO!!
ROTLFMAO grin grin grin
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by chiogo(f): 7:06pm On Jul 12, 2010
paddy_lo:

@Chiogo. . .
dont mean to digress. . .i gotta renew my passport in 2weeks
where were u exactly,DC or NY

what did u have to bring. .  and how long did it take(can u do it in a day). . .thanks

It'd be better for you to go to NY or DC, whichever is closer to you. I actually didn't go to either state since the Embassy people from NY brought the Embassy to Boston, technically. This is the mentality I was talking about, we coulda easily gone to NY, which is 4 hours away but nooo, we had to do it the Nigerian way.  It took two days for us though, should take a day if you go to the Embassy.  smiley

- Go on this site, https://portal.immigration.gov.ng/index.htm
-Read the whole section that says "Passport" and you can apply online, choose "Standard ePassport" as your passport type, fill the form, print it out and also 
your reference # and App. code.
-Go to the section that says "Application", print out your receipt and acknowledgment. Take both with you, they'll send you back if you don't have 'em.

I think you also need to make a copy of the expired passport photo, you also need to take the expired passport with you.
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by paddylo1(m): 7:12pm On Jul 12, 2010
It'd be better for you to go to NY or DC, whichever is closest to you. I actually didn't go to either state since the Embassy people from NY brought the Embassy to Boston, technically. This is the mentality I was talking about, we coulda easily gone to NY, which is 4 hours away but nooo, we had to do it the Nigerian way. It took two days for us though, should take a day if you go to the Embassy.

- Go on this site, https://portal.immigration.gov.ng/index.htm
-Read the whole section that says "Passport" and you can apply online, choose "Standard ePassport" as your passport type, fill the form, print it out and also
your reference # and App. code.
-Go to the section that says "Application", print out your receipt and acknowledgment. Take both with you, they'll send you back if you don't have 'em.

I think you also need to make a copy of the expired passport photo, you also need to take the expired passport with you

Thanks a lot that was real helpful. . .
I think i will go to the DC embassy. . .I like the city and will probably check out the night scene before hopping back to philly
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Kobojunkie: 7:13pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

None at all. So how was I supposed to know about tribalism?
Well, you came up with that example and I wondered why you EXPECTED some tribalist hint from that. Stating that Tribalism exists in Nigeria does not imply that everyone has it, or applies it every time.
Ileke-IdI:

I lived in Lagos as a lil kid where English was only permitted. I was even slapped for speaking Ekiti.
Where in Lagos did you live? I grew up in Lagos and spoke English most all the time myself but I could not ignore the small talk here and there from folks who seemed to have the bug.
Speaking English as it turns out does not MASK tribalistic/racist views . . . look around you on Nairaland for example. Some of the worst tribalists we have on here are college professors. ROFLMAO!!
Ileke-IdI:

When I went to Ado, we spoke Yoruba. I left Nigeria at an age when I still run unclothed in the rain with my cousins tongue
hhhmm . . .  did you attend school in Nigeria? I really want to understand more about your time in Nigeria and possibly what neighborhood you live in abroad. Would like to understand how exposed you are to actual Nigerians. @Ibkaye, already made the mystery of her lack of understanding on the issue known by explaining she was not raised in Nigeria and possibly still is limited when it comes to exposure to Nigerians in her daily life.

Ileke-IdI:

KoboJ, I was not sheltered! There was no Nigerians in my elementary school except for that Igbo chick. No Nigerians in my middle school either. At the middle of High school, abt one Nigerian chick who might as well be akata undecided So where is the interaction. That's why I became obsessed with NL grin
I'd spare my child that. Yea, I will.
ROTLFMAO grin grin grin
Wait a second . . .  for one you just explained the most of it.  You were not even EXPOSED to Nigerians and probably still aren't!!! PHEW !!! That is what I term a 'sheltered life'.

I knew it was not possible for a Nigerian to live and grow up in/Around Nigerians and not have to deal with this at one junction or another.  If you plan to go back to Nigeria anytime soon, I suggest you be weary so you do not fall into the same mindset that seems to have become the norm for many, even down there.
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by chiogo(f): 7:16pm On Jul 12, 2010
paddy_lo:

Thanks a lot that was real helpful. . .
I think i will go to the DC embassy. . .I like the city and will probably check out the night scene before hopping back to philly

No problem.
Cool, that's how it should be - make an adventure out of it. My parents thought otherwise, obviously. Nigerians! grin
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jul 12, 2010
@KoboJ
I'm a village chic. Was born in a village. Then went off to spend almost 4 yrs in lagos, then less than one yr in Ado, then came here.
Anywaz, I think I spoke too much abt myself. . . . smiley Dont wanna divulge more info for the likes of . . . . . to use it later on. Believe me you, there are ppl on here who lives on "FL Gators aka Ileke IdI" wink

I'd admit that I really am not exposed. Most Nigerians I kknew growing up were born here and had no linkage to Nigeria, so. . .  lol But I am more exposed than Ibkaye and chiogo, those chicks are too posh embarassed

I live on politics, I learn.

Speaking English as it turns out does not MASK tribalistic/racist views . . . look around you on Nairaland for example. Some of the worst tribalists we have on here are college professors. ROFLMAO!!
heheheh. . . . no comment tongue
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by 006(m): 7:21pm On Jul 12, 2010
Hahahaha, I laugh in Yoruba,
* shakes head*

Did you grow up in Ameirca?
I've lived in the Mid-West, West, and North and I witnessed tribalism first hand.

It's in our blood!
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by AndreUweh(m): 7:22pm On Jul 12, 2010
STOP FIGHTING GUYS. TIME FOR CONFESSION. AS THE POSTER HAS CONFESSED AND REPENTED OF HIS SINS, GOD HAS FORGIVEN HIM. ALL YE OUT THERE WHO ARE TRIBALIST, ACT LIKE THE POSTER.
PEACE.
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by 006(m): 7:23pm On Jul 12, 2010
Andre Uweh:

STOP FIGHTING GUYS. TIME FOR CONFESSION. AS THE POSTER HAS CONFESSED AND REPENTED OF HIS SINS, GOD HAS FORGIVEN HIM. ALL YE OUT THERE WHO ARE TRIBALIST, ACT LIKE THE POSTER.
PEACE.

No repentance, don't be deceived.

As far as I'm concerned, I'll always eat with a long spoon whenever I eat with other tribes.
I don't need my head to be cut off before I say what I saw sad
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by paddylo1(m): 7:23pm On Jul 12, 2010
No problem.
Cool, that's how it should be - make an adventure out of it. My parents thought otherwise, obviously. Nigerians!  

Dont be too hard on your Naija parents. . lol. . .they are simply the best when it comes to providing a stable home to their kids in America. . .
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jul 12, 2010
006:

Hahahaha, I laugh in Yoruba,
* shakes head*

Did you grow up in Ameirca?
I've lived in the Mid-West, West, and North and I witnessed tribalism first hand.

It's in our blood
Anytime I go to Nigeria, buddy, I dont sense any trace of tribalism

People acts towards you depending on the way you approach them.
Andre Uweh:

PEACE.
Let's start with 006, then you  cheesy
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by paddylo1(m): 7:25pm On Jul 12, 2010
@KoboJ
I'm a village chic. Was born in a village.
I love village girls. . .so innocent. . . cool
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jul 12, 2010
paddy_lo:

I love village girls. . .so innocent. . . cool
lol unfortunately, village chics dont dig Lagos boys lol
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Kobojunkie: 7:28pm On Jul 12, 2010
I grew up in Nigeria -- primary school, secondary school, University even. I never really embraced the tribalistic ideals of many, matter of fact the issue disgusts me but it would be denying reality if I tried to posit that tribalism isn't a big mountain in the way of progress Nigeria over. It is, and it is not only limited to the north or the South East. It is almost become the norm in all Nigerian circles -- politics, religion  -- all have somehow have tribalism entrenched into the system.

The average Nigerian living in Nigeria has to deal with it almost on a daily basis . . . from the student applying to schools, to the unemployed citizen trying to get a job. Even beggars have to deal with it, and our politicians play the card so they can loot some more. It is all there and even though you have personally not experienced it much, do not mistake that to mean it does not exist or it is not a serious problem that ought to be tackled. We hear of how bad racism is and was in America almost daily -- well tribalism in Nigeria is at least 1000 times worse considering it is possible to live in America and not even experience racism in all your years here but in Nigeria, you might get it right from the airport.
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by chiogo(f): 7:30pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

I'd admit that I really am not exposed. Most Nigerians I kknew growing up were born here and had no linkage to Nigeria, so. . .  lol But I am more exposed than Ibkaye and chiogo, those chicks are too posh embarassed
Definitely not. I lived in Lagos for 7 years so yeah, I went to school with a lot of Yoruba kids. But then, I was young so didn't really grasp the language too well but I'm not completely oblivious about the people and culture, I know some. And of course, I also schooled with Igbo kids, and then few people from the South - Edo, Delta, etc. That's about it - I don't have much knowledge about Hausa people and the many minority groups.

paddy_lo:

Dont be too hard on your Naija parents. . lol. . .they are simply the best when it comes to providing a stable home to their kids in America. . .
Hmmm. . .I guess they do try.  . sometimes. lol
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jul 12, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I grew up in Nigeria -- primary school, secondary school, University even. I never really embraced the tribalistic ideals of many, matter of fact the issue disgusts me but it would be denying reality if I tried to posit that tribalism isn't a big mountain in the way of progress Nigeria over. It is, and it is not only limited to the north or the South East. It is almost become the norm in all Nigerian circles -- politics, religion  -- all have somehow have tribalism entrenched into the system.
The average Nigerian living in Nigeria has to deal with it almost on a daily basis . . . from the student applying to schools, to the unemployed citizen trying to get a job. Even beggars have to deal with it, and our politicians play the card so they can loot some more. It is all there and even though you have personally not experienced it much, do not mistake that to mean it does not exist or it is not a serious problem that ought to be tackled. We hear of how bad racism is and was in America almost daily -- well tribalism in Nigeria is at least 1000 times worse considering it is possible to live in America and not even experience racism in all your years here but in Nigeria, you might get it right from the airport.

Wow interesting. Last time I went to Nigeria, I wasn't looking for any sign of tribalism, maybe that's why I didnt sense it. I might have mistaken it for a personal issue.

But why do SOME Nigerians on NL that live/lived  in Nigeria deny any sign of tribalism? Like the poster?

Definitely not. I lived in Lagos for 7 years so yeah, I went to school with a lot of Yoruba kids. But then, I was young so didn't really grasp the language too well but I'm not completely oblivious about the people and culture, I know some. And of course, I also schooled with Igbo kids, and then few people from the South - Edo, Delta, etc. That's about it - I don't have much knowledge about Hausa people and the many minority groups.
Interesting.

Should I be feeling ashamed? As old as I am [56] and still not exposed? I can tell an Igbo person from an Hausa person, but not a Yoruba person from an Edo person. Know nothing about the minority groups at all
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by 006(m): 7:41pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Wow interesting. Last time I went to Nigeria, I wasn't looking for any sign of tribalism, maybe that's why I didnt sense it. I might have mistaken it for a personal issue.

But why do SOME Nigerians on NL that live/lived  in Nigeria deny any sign of tribalism? Like the poster?

What happens is that most people pretend a lot, but when they want to “finish you” because you’re from another tribe, then they’ll show no mercy. Mind you, they only pretend when there’s nothing much they could do; but when the table turns and they could wield their power/influence, then expect nothing less. They won't hide that hatred.
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Kobojunkie: 7:43pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

See, I don't think you have to look for it to sense it.

Remember back when in America, the majority of the white population did not see anything wrong with denigrating another human being simply for being of a different skin color? Well, it is not that racism did not exist back then, only that those who were supposed to be sensitive to these things were not. Not until they were made to realize that these treatments were wrong did we even start discussing abolition here and elsewhere in the world.

Ileke-IdI:

The poster does not live in Nigeria. If you have ever read his tribal-toned posts, you would get that he is one of the few I spoke of earlier who were raised to believe their tribe ought to be right at the top of the list. He spent so much time discussing his many conversations he had with his father and how he was made to believe his tribe needs him and stuff like that  ,  . lol

Today he is saying he is not a racist(tribalist), but if I were sitting in the same room with him, and having to speak up against any folk from his side of the country, I would make sure I am sitting right next to the door so I can escape if things turn ugly . .  ROFLMAO!!

June 12th 1993 riot opened my eyes to what Nigerians were capable of. I mean if you were driving through lagos during the days that followed, it would have been hard for you to miss the many bodies lying right on the road. Neighbours killing neigbours, all for what? NOTHING!
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by chiogo(f): 7:46pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Interesting.  

Should I be feeling ashamed? As old as I am [56] and still not exposed? I can tell an Igbo person from an Hausa person, but not a Yoruba person from an Edo person. Know nothing about the minority groups at all

56 indeed, even with this username change, you're still the same. I liked FL_Gators.  tongue
Yeah, it's hard to differentiate between the minorities. Even I still don't know the native languages of most of them. I blame the whole concept of having 'minority groups' in a country like Nigeria. We're used to only the three main languages(Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa) as even google recognizes.
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jul 12, 2010
@KoboJ
If you dont mind me askng, why did you come here? Education purposes?

See, I don't think you have to look for it to sense it.

Remember back when in America, the majority of the white population did not see anything wrong with denigrating another human being simply for being of a different skin color? Well, it is not that racism did not exist back then, only that those who were supposed to be sensitive to these things were not. Not until they were made to realize that these treatments were wrong did we even start discussing abolition here and elsewhere in the world.
Well yes, but going back to my own country, my own ppl, assumping no tribal differences, I wouldnt be looking for any tribalism. I'd mistake any offense for personal issues with me. AndI never heard anyone utter a tribal remark. And it was on NL that I learned that Ekiti ppl were supposed to be stubborn I asked my mom about that, she denied it lol.

I mean, if your mind is already made up, in any move, you'd be looking for any sign of racism, tribalsim etc. If a child grows up in a uniform neighborhood, not knowing about racism, he wouldnt expect any racist action when he moves to a mixed black/white neighborhood. If another child whom grew up in diverse neighborhood, would ALWAYS look for sign of racism. IMO.

Kobojunkie:

The poster does not live in Nigeria. If you have ever read his tribal-toned posts, you would get that he is one of the few I spoke of earlier who were raised to believe their tribe ought to be right at the top of the list. He spent so much time discussing his many conversations he had with his father and how he was made to believe his tribe needs him and stuff like that  ,  . lol

Today he is saying he is not a racist(tribalist), but if I were sitting in the same room with him, and having to speak up against any folk from his side of the country, I would make sure I am sitting right next to the door so I can escape if things turn ugly . .  ROFLMAO!!

June 12th 1993 riot opened my eyes to what Nigerians were capable of. I mean if you were driving through lagos during the days that followed, it would have been hard for you to miss the many bodies lying right on the road. Neighbours killing neigbours, all for what? NOTHING!

A lot of Nlers are like him. A very very very sad case.

Today he is saying he is not a racist(tribalist), but if I were sitting in the same room with him, and having to speak up against any folk from his side of the country, I would make sure I am sitting right next to the door so I can escape if things turn ugly . .  ROFLMAO!
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

What happened in the 1993 riot? Where? undecided At that age, I wuldnt even know what 1+1 is.
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jul 12, 2010
006:

What happens is that most people pretend a lot, but when they want to “finish you” because you’re from another tribe, then they’ll show no mercy. Mind you, they only pretend when there’s nothing much they could do; but when the table turns and they could wield their power/influence, then expect nothing less. They won't hide that hatred.
There is some truth to this.

Nigerians are great pretenders. I've learned from NL peeps.

chiogo:

56 indeed, even with this username change, you're still the same. I liked FL_Gators.  tongue
Yeah, it's hard to differentiate between the minorities. Even I still don't know the native languages of most of them. I blame the whole concept of having 'minority groups' in a country like Nigeria. We're used to only the three main languages(Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa) as even google recognizes.
Lol but you cant just ignore those minor groups. . . . so the concept is "demanded".
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by dayokanu(m): 8:29pm On Jul 12, 2010
If you grew up in Nigeria like I did, you would know about the regular, Hausa are dirty and illiterates, Igbos are fraudulent It was when I went to the North as a youth corper in a Bauchi village, In my bid to land a Northern chic, mingled with the locals and found that they have the same sentiments against the Southerners. You hear things like Berebe and Yaminrin.

But in my own world I was trying to lay all chics of all the tribes of Nigeria so I didnt care what they said about Yorubas.

When I went to the North,

One girl(Ashiezi) from Keffi called me being  Yorubas "Kashi-a roba" (Meaning people who sh-it inside plastic rubbers) grin grin grin grin

One Cerwa chic(Pollum) from Bauchi said I would use her for Jazz like Yorubas do,  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

One Tangale girl(Esther) from Gombe said Yorubas would kill her,  smiley smiley smiley

One Jukun girl(Edinya) from Donga in Taraba said I would leave her and run after the Yoruba girls with big bums,  grin grin grin

My Fulani chic (Fatima) was excited I would take her to Lagos but wanted me to be a Moslem. angry angry angry

Husseina from Basirka in Jigawa also wanted me to be a Moslem so I told her I was and my name is Abdul Sallam she told me to come to their mosque but I told her Yoruba mosques are different from hausa mosques wink wink wink

The Berom girl (Rebbeca) from Jos was ok with the whole idea as long as I come to live in Jos.  embarassed embarassed embarassed

My Idoma girl (actually Agatu) Ajunmbi who was a policewoman in the village believed we Yorubas are thieves

The Tiv girl(cant remember her name) wanted me to come swear to her family gods that I wont leave her for a Yoruba girl.

The Karekare girl(Aisha) from Yobe thought all Yorubas were rich and have big bellies, because I wasnt any of those she called me Dogon or Alanburu cry

In the process I stumbled on an Igbo girl Ngozi who said Yorubas and Hausas are the ones running the whole country and making Ndigbos to suffer. shocked shocked shocked

All their grievances we resolved in the room or under the tree at night when everywhere was dark. Except for a few times I was chased by hunting dogs at night.

This is my story in The North Eastern part of Nigeria grin grin grin grin grin grin grin. I had an awesome time and thought the Northern women are great. My days at PH, Escravos and Bonny Island exposed me to some other wonderful women of the South South

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Jonathan Rules Out Sovereign National Conference / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Is World's 87th Most Powerful Woman / Lagos Light Rail Hideous Terminal: Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.