Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,199 members, 7,853,081 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 10:55 AM

What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? (4825 Views)

Saharareporters Fixation On Sen Bukola Saraki / @saharareporters Fixation On @bukolasaraki Shows Clearly This Has Gone Beyon / Saharareporters Fixation On @bukolasaraki Shows Clearly This Has Gone Beyond Of (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Kobojunkie: 8:31pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

@KoboJ, If you dont mind me askng, why did you come here? Education purposes?

No, more so I can be all that I can be -- without all the backstabbing, corruption etc

Ileke-IdI:

Well yes, but going back to my own country, my own ppl, assumping no tribal differences, I wouldnt be looking for any tribalism. I'd mistake any offense for personal issues with me. AndI never heard anyone utter a tribal remark. And it was on NL that I learned that Ekiti ppl were supposed to be stubborn I asked my mom about that, she denied it lol.
You really were sheltered! ROFLMAO~!!! I knew that from back when I used to commute from Lagos to Kwara for school back when I was in secondary school. Heck, there were stories of how Ekiti people having the worst ability to spew insults that stuck   . .    
Ileke-IdI:

I mean, if your mind is already made up, in any move, you'd be looking for any sign of racism, tribalsim etc. If a child grows up in a uniform neighborhood, not knowing about racism, he wouldnt expect any racist action when he moves to a mixed black/white neighborhood. If another child whom grew up in diverse neighborhood, would ALWAYS look for sign of racism. IMO.
I know what you are trying to say/do but that is not what this is, and I don't think you can apply it here. If you did, it would be akin to denial.
A couple of years ago, I moved down to Alabama. Now before then, I heard stories of how racism was the norm in the south and how Alabama was front and center.  When I got to Alabama, I stayed a couple of months in the hostels . .  I met a couple of Nigerian students (many had rich parents in Naija) who inundated me with scary stories of white racists and stuff. Problem with their stories is that most of these had not actually experienced it themselves but where quick to share the gossip.
So, month after month, I looked out for it and did not see it. Even the younglings I was always around(mostly white) where not even concerned about my skin color. Then I moved into an only white area of the city, and had a white roommate -- I say only white because I never saw another black person in that area and was already told that only white folks tended to live in that area.
Well turns out even they were more concerned about living than pitching against me for my skin color. My neigbours were mighty nice and would invite me over for parties and stuff. I even got me a jogging party and stuff in the area. Found out that the zoo was just up the road.  . . it was fun! I loved the area.

Long story short, I left Alabama after almost a year without ever experiencing racism from both white and black folks I countered there. I was conscious of the history of the area all this time but I still did not see it. If I tried the same experiement in Nigeria, I would probably be overwhelmed right from the gate.

Ileke-IdI:

What happened in the 1993 riot? Where? undecided At that age, I wuldnt even know what 1+1 is.
It is not just nairaland ooo!!! Haven't you ever met a Nigerian who spews WHITE HATE/BLACK Power most every time that you feel you probably need to get away from this person before he/she completely looses it.

1993 riot witnessed the slaughtering of Nigerians by Nigerians . . .  tribal sort of war . . .  I was in Lagos then and people fled back to their villages . We towns were almost emptied and for about a month, there was almost a standstill. People were afraid to go outside their own front doors for fears of being attacked and possibly killed simply for being from the wrong ethnic group.
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jul 12, 2010
@Dayo
ashewo oshi, na woman u go follow till u die. Typical Yoruba man lol tongue

But are those really Nigerian tribes? Tangele, certic, Berom? undecided

Now I know how you lie. . . . You dont pray in Church abi shocked shocked shocked
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by dayokanu(m): 8:41pm On Jul 12, 2010
Tangale are from Gombe - The christian part,

Cerwas and Jarawa are from Southern Bauchi state in Bogoro and Tafawa-balewa Local govt, mainly xtians,

Berom are mainly in plateau and Nasarawa state also xtians.

Jukun are in Taraba state

I was in the North East, I havent gone to the North west before but I would love to Sample the Gwaris in Niger state who walk bare chested and carry loads on their back,
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Katsumoto: 8:44pm On Jul 12, 2010
dayokanu:

Cerwas and Jarawa are from Southern Bauchi state in Bogoro and Tafawa-balewa Local govt, mainly xtians,

I was in the North East, I havent gone to the North west before but I would love to Sample the Gwaris in Niger state who walk bare chested and carry loads on their back,

Dude

You love being a local champion. cheesy
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jul 12, 2010
You really were sheltered! ROFLMAO~!!! I knew that from back when I used to commute from Lagos to Kwara for school back when I was in secondary school. Heck, there were stories of how Ekiti people having the worst ability to spew insults that stuck   . .
ok, I no go like, we used to insult a lot back in Naija. When I started living with my mom, she wouldnt tolerate any of that Ekiti attitude.
NL taught me how t o insult tho. Mehn, if pesin wanna survive on this forum, you gotta know how to throw some dcikhead off your trail.

I know what you are trying to say/do but that is not what this is, and I don't think you can apply it here. If you did, it would be akin to denial.
A couple of years ago, I moved down to Alabama. Now before then, I heard stories of how racism was the norm in the south and how Alabama was front and center.  When I got to Alabama, I stayed a couple of months in the hostels . . I met a couple of Nigerian students (many had rich parents in Naija) who inundated me with scary stories of white racists and stuff. Problem with their stories is that most of these had not actually experienced it themselves but where quick to share the gossip.
So, month after month, I looked out for it and did not see it
. Even the younglings I was always around(mostly white) where not even concerned about my skin color. Then I moved into an only white area of the city, and had a white roommate -- I say only white because I never saw another black person in that area and was already told that only white folks tended to live in that area.
Well turns out even they were more concerned about living than pitching against me for my skin color. My neigbours were mighty nice and would invite me over for parties and stuff. I even got me a jogging party and stuff in the area. Found out that the zoo was just up the road.  . . it was fun! I loved the area.
Long story short, I left Alabama after almost a year without ever experiencing racism from both white and black folks I countered there. I was conscious of the history of the area all this time but I still did not see i

Ori nkan ti mo n so? You looked out for it because u were prepared for it. If you're just coming str8 from a village to 'Bama, you woulndnt be looking for any racial sign.

You were being fed nau. But you didnt let it deter you. Some people are so paranoid that they begin to look out for it, until they make it happen themselves.

It is not just nairaland ooo!!! Haven't you ever met a Nigerian who spews WHITE HATE/BLACK Power most every time that you feel you probably need to get away from this person before he/she completely looses it.

1993 riot witnessed the slaughtering of Nigerians by Nigerians . . .  tribal sort of war . . .  I was in Lagos then and people fled back to their villages . We towns were almost emptied and for about a month, there was almost a standstill. People were afraid to go outside their own front doors for fears of being attacked and possibly killed simply for being from the wrong ethnic group.
Lol yea. I've met them.

Eyah. Is that why they have egungun celebration each yr? ppl are not supposed to come outside of their house for that day.
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jul 12, 2010
dayokanu:

You no dey shame, dayo? SMH
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by dayokanu(m): 8:53pm On Jul 12, 2010
Katsumoto:

Dude

You love being a local champion. cheesy

Even Alexander the Great had to conquer his locality before going on International conquests
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Jul 12, 2010
dayokanu:

Even Alexander the Great had to conquer his locality before going on International conquests
grin grin grin grin
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by OAM4J: 9:31pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

@KoboJ
I'm a village chic. Was born in a village. Then went off to spend almost 4 yrs in lagos, then less than one yr in Ado, then came here.
Anywaz, I think I spoke too much abt myself. . . . smiley Dont wanna divulge more info for the likes of . . . . . to use it later on. Believe me you, there are ppl on here who lives on "FL Gators aka Ileke IdI" wink

I'd admit that I really am not exposed. Most Nigerians I kknew growing up were born here and had no linkage to Nigeria, so. . .  lol But I am more exposed than Ibkaye and chiogo, those chicks are too posh embarassed

I live on politics, I learn.

heheheh. . . . no comment tongue

So Ileke idi is FL Gator? Didn't know.

What happened? you were banned?
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jul 12, 2010
OAM4J:

So Ileke idi is FL Gator? Didn't know.

What happened? you were banned?
Missed me, suga?
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by OAM4J: 9:41pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Missed me, suga?

Bet I did. been wondering whatever happened to you.

give me the thread link that got you banned

@topic

I lived most of my life in Nigeria and have been/stayed in most of the regions in Nigeria, Yes tribalism exists but not as bad as its being portrayed on NL.

Sometimes i wonder if NLders talk about different ethnic groups other than the ones I know.

If I had not known my Igbo friends very well, I would have found it difficult having a drink in their houses after reading all the hatred being displayed here.
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jul 12, 2010
OAM4J:

If I had not known my Igbo friends very well, I would have found it difficult having a drink in their houses after reading all the hatred being displayed here.

LOL!!!! I no fear. . . . grin Some of them are just misunderstood .

Long story short: There's no link wink
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Kobojunkie: 9:45pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

ok, I no go like, we used to insult a lot back in Naija. When I started living with my mom, she wouldnt tolerate any of that Ekiti attitude.
NL taught me how t o insult tho. Mehn, if pesin wanna survive on this forum, you gotta know how to throw some dcikhead off your trail.
You definitely do not fit the typical when it comes to Nigerians at this point. That does not however mean there is no chance you will turn. I met my share of "Ajebos" that turned out to be worse than their own parents growing up in Nigeria. I never really was attacked directly, but I witnessed some of the bashing and many fights that resulted.

Ileke-IdI:
Ori nkan ti mo n so? You looked out for it because u were prepared for it. If you're just coming str8 from a village to 'Bama, you woulndnt be looking for any racial sign.

I looked out for it but did not find it. If I were to fly into NIgeria today looking out for signs of tribalism, do you think I would be met with the same result?

Ileke-IdI:

You were being fed nau. But you didnt let it deter you. Some people are so paranoid that they begin to look out for it, until they make it happen themselves.
Tribalism itself is built on paranoia . . . So, just as you have the one side, you are bound to have the other side. So, as you acknowledge the one side, you also have to acknowledge the other. Take for instance a case where rather than marry his galfriend of so long, a man chooses instead to go back to his village and marry a stranger. When asked why, he says that his long time gal is, yoruba and he being hausa cannot marry a yoruba woman as her parents are likely not to accept him because he is hausa. In his fears, he becomes a tribalist.

Ileke-IdI:

Lol yea. I've met them.

Eyah. Is that why they have egungun celebration each yr? ppl are not supposed to come outside of their house for that day.
You really need to read up on your culture and history!
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jul 12, 2010
Reformed tribalist. shocked

Next in tow should be bk/babe, 006,Mr Fire and co. cool
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by AndreUweh(m): 9:57pm On Jul 12, 2010
OAM4J:

Bet I did. been wondering whatever happened to you.

give me the thread link that got you banned

@topic

I lived most of my life in Nigeria and have been/stayed in most of the regions in Nigeria, Yes tribalism exists but not as bad as its being portrayed on NL.

Sometimes i wonder if NLders talk about different ethnic groups other than the ones I know.

Is it only Ndigbo that display hatred here?. Even if you assume they do, they are not worse of.
Nothwithstandingly, once again, I beg all the nairaland tribalists to cut off all those poisonous fingers that type tribalism. Show love to one another irrespective of tribe, colour, creed or value, or gender.
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jul 12, 2010
I looked out for it but did not find it. If I were to fly into NIgeria today looking out for signs of tribalism, do you think I would be met with the same result?
I didnt imply that you wouldnt find nay tribalism sign. I'm just saing that some ppl are overly paranoid about it that  where there is no tribalism, they push for it.

EG: You heard from one of your friends that white ppl were racism. You started building a wall around yourself and defending yourself where there's no racism. In Gainesville, black ppl are the meanest and rudest[stats prove], only because the setting is a very racist one. Same for tribalism, if we let our guard down and try to treat ppl like people, instead of a tribe, then tribalism would not bloom as it is continuing to bloom.

Tribalism itself is built on paranoia . . . So, just as you have the one side, you are bound to have the other side. So, as you acknowledge the one side, you also have to acknowledge the other. Take for instance a case where rather than marry his galfriend of so long, a man chooses instead to go back to his village and marry a stranger. When asked why, he says that his long time gal is, yoruba and he being hausa cannot marry a yoruba woman as her parents are likely not to accept him because he is hausa. In his fears, he becomes a tribalist.
Nkan ti mo n try lati so ni yen. Nigerians are paranoid in general.

"I strike when I'm being attacked" "Not strike because I EXPECT to be attacked".

You really need to read up on your culture and history!
Yes ma, lol. You keep telling me that. But where exactly am I supposed to learn it? Go back to naija to take a class? undecided While I have you here grin grin
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by EzeUche(m): 10:04pm On Jul 12, 2010
People have these views, but they don't voice them in public. The same way that a white man dislikes blacks, but he wont voice it.

I like the people who are not afraid to say what is on their mind. Tell me you hate me. That is what I want to here. Not someone who hates, me but doesn't voice his hate.
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Kobojunkie: 10:05pm On Jul 12, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

"Not strike because I EXPECT to be attacked".
This essentially is what I believe tribalism is all about when it comes to Nigeria. Being nice will not make it go away. Case: The yoruba gal whose boyfriend decides she was not good enough because she was not the right ethnicity. I did have some friends back in the days that reasoned that way. Right after their ignorance was discovered, I walk out of that friendship . . . I have a very low tolerance for that sort of thing.

June 12th riot was that -- Babangida played us wayo! Rather than running out to attack him, people chose instead to attack each other, and this is after voting overwhelmingly for an Abiola presidency. It was mindboggling experience.

Ileke-IdI:
Yes ma, lol. You keep telling me that. But where exactly am I supposed to learn it? Go back to naija to take a class? undecided While I have you here grin grin
Check internet, and if you know folks in Nigeria who have access to info, ask. I have a friend who helps me with data from Nigeria from time to time,
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by dayokanu(m): 10:06pm On Jul 12, 2010
EG: You heard from one of your friends that white ppl were racism. You started building a wall around yourself and defending yourself where there's no racism. In Gainesville, black ppl are the meanest and rudest[stats prove], only because the setting is a very racist one. Same for tribalism, if we let our guard down and try to treat ppl like people, instead of a tribe, then tribalism would not bloom as it is continuing to bloom.

You have heard so many racist stories that when a white man is trying to be nice to you, You start getting suspicious

Kobo, Did you go to FGC Ilorin?
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Kobojunkie: 10:07pm On Jul 12, 2010
dayokanu:

You have heard so many racist stories that when a white man is trying to be nice to you, You start getting suspicious

hhmmm . . .nope! smiley
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by oyinda3(f): 10:09pm On Jul 12, 2010
dats because in real life, ppl of different ethnic groups  don't generally come together to discuss stuff like biafra, politics, cultures, which tribe has the prettiest girls, richest men, most greedy girls etc. when you do that, there will always be disagreement.  instead, you have the discussion among your own ethnic mates so there is no fight. and when a yoruba or igbo person comes along, you change the topic to a less sensitive one like weather or music.
you will notice that in the jokes, music and romance section, there is no tribe issues. the topics in there are not very sensitive nd everyone gets along regardless of ethnicity. this is real life. we don't talk abt sensitive issues we talk abt stuff like weather. haha i hope i'm making sense
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jul 12, 2010
dayokanu:

Hehehe, I dont get suspicious because ppl are generally nice to me anywaz grin grin Except for . . .  .
I get suspicious when a black lady is being overly nice to me. You gotta live here to understand. If dem give you flour, make sure e no be cocaine.

Kobojunkie:

This essentially is what I believe tribalism is all about when it comes to Nigeria. Being nice will not make it go away. Case: The yoruba gal whose boyfriend decides she was not good enough because she was not the right ethnicity. I did have some friends back in the days that reasoned that way. Right after their ignorance was discovered, I walk out of that friendship . . . I have a very low tolerance for that sort of thing.

[b]June 12th riot was that -- Babangida played us wayo! Rather than running out to attack him, people chose instead to attack each other, and this is after voting overwhelmingly for an Abiola presidency. It was mindboggling experienc[/b]e.
Check internet, and if you know folks in Nigeria who have access to info, ask. I have a friend who helps me with data from Nigeria from time to time,
True that about tribalism. Thanks for the fact.

How would I search when I odnt know what to search for?I know stuff when its being posted on NL, and I asked the person who mentions it. BTW, na who get money to dey call Nigeria for every question? shocked tongue
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Sauron1: 10:13pm On Jul 12, 2010
oyinda.:

dats because in real life, ppl of different ethnic groups  don't generally come together to discuss stuff like biafra, politics, cultures, which tribe has the prettiest girls, richest men, most greedy girls etc. when you do that, there will always be disagreement.  instead, you have the discussion among your own ethnic mates so there is no fight. and when a yoruba or igbo person comes along, you change the topic to a less sensitive one like weather or music.
you will notice that in the jokes, music and romance section, there is no tribe issues. the topics in there are not very sensitive nd everyone gets along regardless of ethnicity. this is real life. we don't talk abt sensitive issues we talk abt stuff like weather. haha i hope i'm making sense

Absolutely. . . .Which is a rare occurrence in your comments.
It seems someone now drinks loads of protein-shake. grin
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Kobojunkie: 10:13pm On Jul 12, 2010
oyinda.:

[size=13pt]You nailed it!! [/size] We rarely have those serious discussions as a people . . .  !
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jul 12, 2010
oyinda.:

grin grin grin grin
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by dayokanu(m): 10:16pm On Jul 12, 2010
So which sch? Cos Adesoye College is in Offa. or is it Queens School?

oyinda.:

Are you making sense? Hmm lemme think about it, Na lie you are a tribalist you people from osun State discriminating against people from Benin republic like Becomericch and FL Gators cheesy cheesy
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Kobojunkie: 10:18pm On Jul 12, 2010
QES all the way . . . don't tell anybody!
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jul 12, 2010
dayokanu:

So which sch? Cos Adesoye College is in Offa. or is it Queens School?

Are you making sense? Hmm lemme think about it,  Na lie you are a tribalist you people from osun State discriminating against people from Benin republic like Becomericch and FL Gators cheesy cheesy
I believe I speak for FL Gators when I say you dey crase cheesy

I wouldnt mind Becommrich sha,  my fave comedian  grin
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Kobojunkie: 10:19pm On Jul 12, 2010
roflmao!!
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by OAM4J: 10:19pm On Jul 12, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Is it only Ndigbo that display hatred here?. Even if you assume they do, they are not worse of.
Nothwithstandingly, once again, I beg all the nairaland tribalists to cut off all those poisonous fingers that type tribalism. Show love to one another irrespective of tribe, colour, creed or value, or gender.

And what part of my post suggests I have such assumption?  undecided
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by dayokanu(m): 10:22pm On Jul 12, 2010
Kobojunkie:

QES all the way . . . don't tell anybody!

Would graduation be anytime between 93-95?
Re: What Is Nairaland's Fixation On Tribe? by Kobojunkie: 10:24pm On Jul 12, 2010
Nope! Why do you ask?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

See Full List Of Names Submitted By Buhari For Ministerial Positions / “I Am Not Too Confident About My Memory” - President Buhari / Update On 14 September Ipob Sit At Home..pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.