Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,661 members, 7,816,698 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:31 PM

My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State - NYSC (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State (119637 Views)

Experience In Iyana Ipaja. Lagos NYSC Temporary Camp. / Sex In NYSC Camps: How True? As A Corps Member Please Share? / Kano Corpers And Camp Soldiers Clash In Karaye NYSC Orientation Camp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by nonye6194: 12:10pm On Jan 28, 2019
While at the LGA lipsrsealed

Those people sef undecided angry

Oshodi-isolo LG nysc staff have a unique gift of making life difficult for an average corper there. Right from their general CDS meetings to monthly clearances, they create unnecessary long procedures for one to complete a simple exercise. And such procedures can't be found in other LGAs. For every routine exercise there, you're expected to show up between 7am - 9am and put down your name in an attendance ahead of the day's exercise. While the staff won't show up until at about 10am - 11am. If they show up early, they still won't use the early advantage to begin in earnest. They'll wait for their usual time to begin angry. Plus the exercises are usually handled by our fellow corpers.

Kolewerk people

If you eventually show up late for any exercise there, be ready to spend the rest of the day there cos hundreds of guys must've arrived and penned down their names. And everyone would be attended to according to their numbers on the list.

Well, unless your daddy is Otedola, which we don't have. Because it's Oshodi grin

My first general CDS was a disaster as I didn't know about the attend thingy. I learnt the hard way (after being no. 262 cry ) and devised a method that was working for me wink.

Others find a friend that's going early to pen their names alongside t theirs, which normally makes the list longer with names of folks that aren't even physically present there. So if you don't have a friend to help you with the attendance and you're coming late, be prepared to sleep dia grin.

I later ditched my new method to adopt the one everyone is using. This was after I discovered a former OBS colleague was under the same LGA as I am and she comes super early to the LGA. She helps me and I'm usually among the first 10 persons on every list till date.

Did I hear somebody say ojoro grin grin

In exchange, I usually sort through friends to obtain a copy of the monthly clearance form from our CDS group (which we both belong to same one) for her and myself. We don't attend the meetings to get these forms ourselves because

'I cannor comman kill myself'
*in Burna boy's voice* grin

With this setup, I don't rush to the LGA for any exercise anymore. I usually time the day's exercise and begin my movement at a time such that when I arrive the LGA, I wouldn't spend upto an hour before returning home. My colleague needed extra motivation to our deal so I improved my side by giving her new movies everytime we have anything to do at the LGA cheesy.

It has become a default settings since then smiley

Lemme even digress and gist y'all small about this my colleague (her name is May) from way back in camp, as she wasn't just a colleague.
If there was anyone I would've hooked up with, it would've been her. No doubt.

Even Emi said she thought we were seeing each other at some point in camp. One time she (Emi) said to me:

"Don't you see the way she looks
at you? Even you sef, look at her
one kind and smile like you're
in lurvvv".

I was like:

shocked shocked

"Haba, which one is how we look
at each other again Emi grin . Me
I'm not seeing anything o".

We argued over it for a while but she dropped it after I denied the accusations like Peter in the Bible. But deep down I was like 'Emi's
not totally wrong'.

But wait o, how do girls notice all these small small details
Something I myself haven't pieced together, Emi has figured it all out from outside my head

Well, I usually dismissed it thinking the chances of anything happening is almost impossible because we (May and I) too dey disagree on too many things (things that shouldn't even be debatable). We'll end up never agreeing and wearing each other out at the end of the day. We never give in to each other, not for once and usually like the arguments sometimes.

Some you will now thing issa sign o.

Well, I agree that it's a sign. It's called the 'caution sign' grin

To make this Emi's case a strong one, I later discovered we live within miles from each other, so we now take the same bus from the LGA back to our homes. And to make case a stronger one, we live with same family relative and experience same issues at home. Now the similarities are getting too many and maybe I have to think this one again wink.

And if Emi ever finds out these new revelations here, she'll call my folks that I've found a wife. Emi get small craze grin

(see a typical list I send in exchange for attendance below). No fear, my both drives are crazy full with blockbusters

1 Like

Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by sconp: 3:06pm On Jan 28, 2019
nonye6194:
While at the LGA :-x

Those people sef undecided angry

Oshodi-isolo LG nysc staff have a unique gift of making life difficult for an average corper there. Right from their general CDS meetings to monthly clearances, they create unnecessary long procedures for one to complete a simple exercise. And such procedures can't be found in other LGAs. For every routine exercise there, you're

Well, I usually dismissed it thinking the chances of anything happening is almost impossible because we (May and I) too dey disagree on too many things (things that shouldn't even be debatable). We'll end up never agreeing and wearing each other out at the end of the day. We never give in to each other, not for once and usually like the arguments sometimes.

Some you will now thing issa sign o.

Well, I agree that it's a sign. It's called the 'caution sign' grin

To make this Emi's case a strong one, I later discovered we live within miles from each other, so we now take the same bus from the LGA back to our homes. And to make case a stronger one, we live with same family relative and experience same issues at home. Now the similarities are getting too many and maybe I have to think this one again wink.

(see a typical list I send in exchange for attendance below). No fear, my both drives are crazy full with blockbusters

These signs cannot all be coincidence wink

The movies plenty o, she's cheating u grin I like this kind of partnership.
Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by Manuel69: 10:12pm On Jan 28, 2019
Biko, let me digress from the topic a little, but how do you download movies from Netnaija? Have tried and tried, its not working
Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by nonye6194: 11:57am On Feb 04, 2019
The rest of my November passed without any drama.

*Sigh of relief*

NYSC was still busy sending more otondos to camp and churning them out onto the streets without a decent PPA. The last time I checked, there had been three sets of streams that have been in and out of Iyana Ipaja camp between August my stream left there and presently (December).
To make case worse for this guys, there are already enough corpers on ground so the new intakes will find it very difficult to get a good primary place of assignment.

Personally, I attributed the new streams nysc rushed to add was due to the incoming 2019 elections.

Dem dey find extra ad-hoc staff. That's all that matters to them, not where they end up serving in undecided

To let you understand what I'm saying, here's a place a batch C corper was posted to in Lagos State by the NYSC grin

1 Like

Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by nonye6194: 12:03pm On Feb 04, 2019
Even with the 'None availability of good PPA' I was already losing interest in mine and i attributed this to a quote by Pliny the younger;

'constant learning and study dedicated to one subject often outdoes both intelligence and skill'.

I had even gone to the extent of lobbying for folks without a place to serve (who approached me here on NL) to work at my PPA. These people (my PPA) told the ones that came to apply that they don't accept corp members in their firm shocked.

Wait o, they don't accept corpers
Wetin I come dey do for here. Abi wetin I be angry

The boredom of being the only corper here had kicked into full gear. It is so bad that the moment I arrive at work, I start looking forward to going back home. Sometimes when the craze climb my head, I will just carry my bag go house before midday grin.

And this happens quite often.

For the other days I decide to stay the whole day, I relied on a couple of crime novels I bought plus my heavy music playlist of 50s - 90s Western music I get lost in. Take out any of these two, I don't know how I would've lasted here till this moment.

1 Like

Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by nonye6194: 12:08pm On Feb 04, 2019
Remember when I made promises of making my service year worthwhile by visiting a couple of fun places wink ? Well, I made a bucket list which I had left untouched for months now sad.
I finally picked it up and was ready to cross one or two places off before December. But until the first week of December, I haven't crossed a single place off sad
Too many procrastinations due to

- lack of kudi (this one na constant sturvs cry )

- and inadequate time cry

I sha decided to go a place not on my bucket list, at least spontaneously to ginger me to continue with the list. And like spontaneous thoughts with their weird inclinations, a market came to my mind grin.

Aswani market

I had read about a second hand market close to my PPA but I hadn't had the opportunity to visit there before. So on a particular Tuesday when I was returning from the monthly biometric exercise with May, I decided to stop off and take a walk around the place and have a feel of the place and probably buy anything that fancies my eyes cool.

What I met wasn't what I expected angry

The place was filled with many kid's wears and very few adult wears. The adult ones I spotted as my size sef were too low in the grade of okrika clothes.

I would've followed my gut and listened to May to go to Yaba market instead. But no, I no dey hear word undecided

After walking around the whole of Aswani market through it's several lines of stalls, I settled for a few tops and pant I could exchange with my money for.
At least I had to show y'all something decent for the two hours spent (wasted) there angry . I didn't open up to anyone about my disappointment there because it was a spontaneous sturvs and as I didn't tell anyone about my trip before going.

Mental note to self: Aswani in the nearest future is a 'no no' embarassed

So much for being spontaneous nonye grin

3 Likes

Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by nonye6194: 12:12pm On Feb 04, 2019
DECEMBER

Onwa December is here o grin lol

I was glad 2018 was finally coming to a close, so I can at least take a well deserved vacation with my family ❤️. Infact, from the first day of December, I was counting down to days left for me to get set and vaaaa voooooooooom grin grin

My jaiye jaiye CDS group was organising a trip to the 'National Museum' , Onikan which I was looking forward to. While I waited, I decided to visit my favourite destination site (www.tripadvisor.com) to learn about the place and read random reviews from those who have been there.
I didn't see a single decent review of the museum and this had me worried as I've not seen such on the site before. I was here thinking:

'You mean sey the place no go follow make sense like the Aswani I go angry ?

Haaaaaaa!

I decided not to dwell much on the thoughts of the reviewers and go for the trip, after all na free sturvs grin. Plus the advantage it'll help me cross off a place off my list.
While the museum visit was being contemplated on, I was also making personal plans to visit another place on my list. Since I didn't want to fall my hands again sad , I went for a place that had the best reviews so I'd be guaranteed a decent December outing. So I settled for the famous:

'The Nike Art Gallery' , Lekki

I planned to visit the place with a few friends and the first person that came to mind was 'May' smiley cheesy . I told her and this babe didn't want to come o

Just imagine sad

It took a lot of convincing before she agreed on coming lol. I also hooked up a friend I made here on this thread (Prince) and he agreed on coming. Three was already a crowd so I didn't add or invite anyone again.

Before you people wee comman spoil show for me and 'May' grin grin

Few days afterwards, I stumbled on a friend's post on fb about a boat sail competition in Lekki. Trust me to make enquires and register to attend the event. That's making it three places I've made up my mind to go to. Then I thought to myself;

'We go kee ourselves with
wakaa this December' cool

Little did I know the shocker that was awaiting me grin.
I discovered afterwards and that these three places and the dates I (and my group) planned to visit them fell into three consecutive days, thus:

Onikan Museum - Thursday the 13th smiley

Boat sail competition - Friday the 14th

and Nike Art Gallery - Saturday the 15th shocked

Yeeeeeeeh!

Shebi na me wan tick places off my list grin. I was headstrong and went on to prepare for the 'Tridum' of outings I had coming.
After all Burna boy sang:

I no want kpeme,
I want enjoy
I want chop life,
I want buy motor
I want build house,
I still want turn up. grin

So I'll begin the tale of the three days in the next post, stay chuned cool

1 Like

Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by sconp: 2:55pm On Feb 04, 2019
Last couple of updates had me shining my grin. So May is the chic in that Nike art gallery thread you created. cheesy
Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by nonye6194: 12:33am On Feb 05, 2019
sconp:
Last couple of updates had me shining my grin. So May is the chic in that Nike art gallery thread you created. cheesy

This guy I don dey fear you o shocked grin. Which batch you dey sef angry
Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by sconp: 12:39am On Feb 05, 2019
nonye6194:

This guy I don dey fear you o shocked grin. Which batch you dey sef angry
Batch ke? Not serving. She's a fine girl btw wink
Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by nonye6194: 9:14pm On Feb 05, 2019
sconp:
Batch ke? Not serving. She's a fine girl btw wink
cool
Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by nonye6194: 3:18pm On Feb 06, 2019
DAY 1/3 ( National Museum, Onikan)

As usual, our CDS group members converged at a meeting point (I.e. the NYSC secretariat) before moving to the island in two chartered buses which everyone contributed a token for.

Well I didn't pay undecided

The TripAdvisor reviews still had me in doubt about the place so I didn't want pay for something I wee regret afterwards. I've been paying for the previous trips and others skipped paying them, so I guess this trip is my tax holiday cool.

In no time, we got to Onikan Museum and the reviews were coming true like a prophecy. The surrounding didn't look like a museum to start with and the building looked like something that needs a total makeover.

Shebi you pipu af seen why I didn't pay. Village people didn't get me this time grin

On getting down to proceed inside for the tour, we were informed that there were a bunch of Nursery and primary school pupils visiting the museum today also, who were already in the vicinity. And since they came first, we had to wait for them to finish before we're admitted in angry.

So much for planning and organisation.

We waited under the scorching sun outside on the field while the kids had their tour. After what seemed like half an hour, one aunty that works in the museum asked us to form a line. We were placed in separate groups to take tours of several parts of the museum simultaneously, since we can't all fit in for a single tour.

Before we dispersed in our separate groups to begin, we were sternly warned not to take any pictures of the museum displays. Their reason was to preserve the legacy of the museum undecided.
Not only that, we were also told not to eat or drink inside the museum to avoid rewakening any of the idols on display.

I was like, 'wait whatttt' shocked Are we going to see real art inside or representations of Ogun and Amadioha sad

Even with the disappointment (plus small fear for Ogun and Amadioha grin), I was looking forward to what it'll be like. Since I no pay shishi, I should at least enjoy the show.
My group was listed to start with the section of 'NIGERIAN LEADERS, PAST AND PRESENT' first, so we headed to the gallery for our first viewing.

We got to the designated gallery and these nursery school children were inside with their teacher and the curator. Did you know that when they saw us coming, they close the entrance and locked it from inside angry .

Since we couldn't do anything about it, we just waited for them to finish their tour before they opened up for us to enter.

It wasn't funny to me at all. Boys were already cussing the exco for choosing such a chaff place for a CDS visit grin.

1 Like

Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by nonye6194: 3:21pm On Feb 06, 2019
We were finally inside and first thing I noticed was a Mercedes Benz that was parked in the centre of the hall. The curator later told us that the Benz was the infamous vehicle the former head of state, Murtala Mohammed was assassinated in with his aide and driver, in an apparent coup d'etat (I wish I could've taken pictures for you guys but I found something online sad )

In my yeye mind I was like;
'na Benz follow kill our oga head
of State' cheesy

The walls of the gallery held pictures of the several leaders of the country, right from the the almagamation period of Ogbeni Lugard till date.
After we finished there, we proceeded to the main museum where the main disappointment was waiting for us. The main building of the museum art is centred around the life of a Nigerian (mostly during the colonial times), from birth, through life, death and reincarnation. It tells the story of growth of both genders through sculptures in the major ethnic groups (not completely tho).

Shebi it sounds interesting right?!

Well these people somehow made it to be a scary experience for every visitor there. Most of the displays weren't in good shape anymore, no air conditioning, Some of the display rooms have little to no lightning, making it look like a halloween setting with the scary looking idols grin.

I left the rest of my group and went outside before heat kee somebody angry. No windows, no air conditioning, no ventilation, no nothing.

I was disappointed at the state of a national museum (in Lagos State) of the biggest black nation in the world. We can't even boast of a decent structure to house our culture relics or present these art pieces in a befitting manner.

And to think that these oyinbos (that art used to shack their head like Capri Sonne) that usually visit naija and want to explore, would be trooping in here (since na Lagos). Only to get disappointed at the end of the day. The ones I even saw didn't look too impressed, but how do I even know that one sef.

Aproko grin

That place is in a sorry state and needs government intervention. Fela's Kalakuta museum in Ikeja boasts of better structure and organisation that what I experienced here today. And I hope to visit it soon sef

Since we couldn't take pictures inside (thank heavens for that sef grin), we settled for some with the chief curator outside. Afterwards I goofed around with my friends taking pictures before we went left.

My day 1/3 rating = 33%

1 Like

Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by nonye6194: 3:24pm On Feb 06, 2019
DAY 2/3 (Bics Garden Lekki)

I was determined to make the most out of the remaining two days I had to see places (after the first one flopped), before I travel home for the holidays. Today's trip was to the Lagos Boat Race competition holding at Bics Garden jetty, Lekki and I was already contemplating whether to go or not (for fear of another disappointment). It was at the last minute that I made up my mind and rushed out to meet up with the event opening, which was by noon.

In my mind, I was praying 'Dear village people, not today please'

I got out of festac and was waiting for a bus to CMS. Something that was supposed to begin on the island by 12 noon and I've not even seen bus as at 12:23pm and I'm still on the mainland.

They have started again sad

1pm approached and was ticking past and the crowd waiting for CMS bus was growing. The one that'll come by would have space for one or two persons. The bus won't even stop and people have already jumped into the moving vehicle.

Me I cannor do that one o !

After a few minutes I left in anger and walked down to the gigm bus terminal close by and booked a ticket home for next week. When I finished and came back to the bus stop. CMS buses were everywhere and there was no passengers anymore.

And this was at about 2pm.

My mind was torn into two; whether to still go for an event that had started two hours ago or kukuma go back home to avoid heartbreak. I didn't know when I carried my two left legs and entered one of the buses and we were off to CMS grin.

Shebi na boat race? We die there today grin

Moving further and we met a huge traffic at Orile. It was this traffic that showed me that I made the wrong decision. But it was already late as the traffic was locked down on both lanes and I can't walk under this scorching December sun. I kept it together and not for long the traffic loosened up a bit. The driver sped (like he's a character in fast and furious) and got us to CMS in no time cheesy

I took a connecting bus to Lekki phase one and I was there at few minutes past 3pm. Only to discover the event hasn't even started shocked

Naija I hail thee grin

I was relived I wasn't late and partly worried about when they intend to finish as I no dey stay for island. I got through security and before taking my seat, wahala started somewhere at the back. I dunno whether to call them area boys (abi men), but a bunch of local folks came and were threatening to prevent the event from taking place until they received their 'settlement'. Apparently they weren't consulted and they were ready for a fight today.

Dem swear for my head today chai cry

After almost 30 minutes the organisers spent trying to pacify the multitude, they didn't only reach an agreement of settlement, they also included their locals in the competition, in a new category 'canoe race'. This way they get to compete against themselves (since they were of different factions) and win the prize monies.

Smart thinking if you ask me cool

Not long before the event started. And it started with the canoe race. The atmosphere these locals created was electrifying. They cheered their representatives from start to finish, shouting and clapping all through the race.

Watching a canoe race is something I didn't know I would enjoyed more than the boat race sef. It was sheer brilliance exhibited for show!
To do this, one needs experience and a lot of energy walahi.

I looked at my watch and it was almost 5pm shocked
None of the speed boats have competed and it's getting late for me to return to the mainland before Friday evening traffic hold me for bridge. I rushed and took a few pictures and left the event which was still ongoing.
Irrespective of my rush to escape the traffic, I was still caught up in it. And till date, it remains the longest traffic I've been held in all my life sad.

I saw shege that evening on third mainland bridge cry.

After like six hours in traffic, I finally got home and I made a resolve to listen to my instincts and follow them next time.

Day 2/3 rating = 57%

1 Like

Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by nonye6194: 3:30pm On Feb 06, 2019
DAY 3/3 (NIKE ART GALLERY)

Believe this or not, even after the last evening's lesson, I still went back to Lekki the next day for the third trip grin

Some of you would think I haven't learnt my lesson and was in for another one.

Well, it turned out to be the best trip I've been to in Lagos (so far) since I got here in July. Out of the three trips, it was the only 'post worthy' trip so I made a separate article on it and posted it on the art section of NL.

Here's the link below:

https://www.nairaland.com/4967944/visit-nike-art-gallery-lekki

DAY 3/3 rating = 89%

1 Like

Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by nonye6194: 3:31pm On Feb 06, 2019
How many pipu still dey follow this thread sef angry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by eaddyboy: 7:50pm On Feb 06, 2019
nonye6194:
How many pipu still dey follow this thread sef angry

Ride on bro...

1 Like

Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by nonye6194: 8:13pm On Feb 06, 2019
Pidginwhisper:
Continue

mah nigga cheesy

Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by vinlyreeks(m): 11:16pm On Feb 06, 2019
HOW DID YOU MAKE YOUR FIRST MILLION?

READ MY OWN LITTLE STORY HERE..
https://www.nairaland.com/5004634/how-did-make-1st-million#75467597

IT'S NOT MYTH MAYBE YOU'VE HEARD ABOUT IT BUT REALLY DIDN'T THINK OF DON'T IT!!!...
YEA COOL 250,000+ BENEFITS EVERY MONTH
FOLLOW MY TUTORIAL HERE https://www.nairaland.com/5004634/how-did-make-1st-million#75467597
Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by tintedniggz(m): 6:58pm On Feb 07, 2019
I dey level up with every post grin

1 Like

Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by Bestlily(f): 7:19pm On Feb 08, 2019
Ah!!

you be giving me inspiration...I also plan to make my NYSC days a memorable one..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by nonye6194: 1:39pm On Feb 09, 2019
Bestlily:
Ah!!

you be giving me inspiration...I also plan to make my NYSC days a memorable one..

smiley I'm honoured

2 Likes

Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by emotions1: 5:50pm On Feb 10, 2019
We die here....
Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by nonye6194: 8:52pm On Feb 10, 2019
emotions1:
We die here....

grin
Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by Eldeedon(m): 12:55am On Feb 13, 2019
Help!! somebody should pls help me out with a place around Ikeja to do my PPA..

check my signature for my contact....... thnx

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (22) (Reply)

Nysc Age Limit / Lagos State NYSC Batch B 2014 (Stream I&II) / My NYSC Experience In Kano State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.