Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,067 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:01 AM

Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? (30229 Views)

Why Are School Charging For 3rd Term With The Corvid -19 Crisis / Are School Curricula In Nigeria Designed To Kill Some Students’ Talents? / 19-Year-Old Nigerian Lady Graduates From UK University After Repeating Exams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by johnmba: 7:53am On Oct 24, 2018
In my days children who fail classes are asked to repeat class. Some repeat class twice before they move to the next class. But its unfortunate that recently children do not fail again.

I have never i mean NEVER seen anybody whose child repeat class. Every parents will tell you my children did well. Very soon this term will finish and every parent will tell their friends how wonderful their children performed.

The method of grading children have been abolished by some private schools.

What is happening.......is it that children these days are all doing well.

215 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by emeijeh(m): 7:53am On Oct 24, 2018
That's indomie generation for you.

102 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Olalan(m): 7:55am On Oct 24, 2018
They don't repeat in private school for the fear of the parent taking their kids to other schools

462 Likes 27 Shares

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Aditii(f): 7:59am On Oct 24, 2018
Is that not progress? Does that not show that children are getting smarter? So to you, the number of times a child repeats depicts quality education? You Africans and your sickening backwards mentality. Spits!

47 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by hisgrace090: 8:03am On Oct 24, 2018
Olalan:
They don't repeat in private school for the fear of the parent taking their kids to other schools

Private school escalation is the majore cause though not all.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by CodeTemplar: 8:12am On Oct 24, 2018
How true is the above comment about private schools not repeating children?
Maybe that's why the public uni grads erroneously assume all private uni grads are being dashed grades.

We should have a NUC equivalent for primary and secondary schools to check such if truly it exists.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by CodeTemplar: 8:18am On Oct 24, 2018
hisgrace090:

Private school escalation is the course.
That's bad but true. The foundation of such problem can only be the usual suspect - money.
School isn't a profit giving business or profit oriented business. That's why most big ministry subsidize their schools or charge high. Private owners see this and believe they can make profit and when profit doesn't come as expected they do funny things.

11 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Nobody: 8:23am On Oct 24, 2018
Sometime ago, i was teaching at a very small primary school somwhere around that Iba.

These kids no sabi jackshiit, and they aren't ready to learn only few of them passed the exam. Me wey i no sabi say everything na bizness i graded the kids by dia performance.

The next day, the female proprietor was very mad at me and asked me to quickly go and fix everything that none of them must fail. I weak! She said they won't come back after the holidays.

Who we wan blame?

277 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by wokewunuw: 8:26am On Oct 24, 2018
Their parents will never allow, instead they willremove their kids from such school

8 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by johnmba: 8:34am On Oct 24, 2018
Aditii:
Is that not progress? Does that not show that children are getting smarter? So to you, the number of times a child repeats depicts quality education? You Africans and your sickening backwards mentality. Spits!

You dont get the message. Read peoples comment

216 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by sseunth(m): 8:41am On Oct 24, 2018
Send your kids to a good school. Obms in Ibadan pay high fee and they still repeat most especially if you fail compulsory subjects like maths, English.

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Vanpascore(m): 8:46am On Oct 24, 2018
Try catholic schools, they still repeat students. They don't care if parents take away their children/wards.

203 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Nobody: 8:51am On Oct 24, 2018
johnmba:
In my days children who fail classes are asked to repeat class. Some repeat class twice before they move to the next class. But its unfortunate that recently children do not fail again.

I have never i mean NEVER seen anybody whose child repeat class. Every parents will tell you my children did well. Very soon this term will finish and every parent will tell their friends how wonderful their children performed.

cc: Lalasticlala
Seun
Children still repeat class but they are fewer in numbers. With the proliferation of schools country wide, many parents easily move their kids to other schools.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Nobody: 8:59am On Oct 24, 2018
[quote author=CodeTemplar post=72363029]How true is the above comment about private schools not repeating children?
Maybe that's why the public uni grads erroneously assume all private uni grads are being dashed grades.
Public university graduate although not all erroneously assume all private university graduate are favoured because
1. Their lecturers are envious of seeing them do better
2. That some private universities grade their students high to attract more customers. Hence when they meet one or two students from private universities who fumble, they conclude they know nothing

We should a NUC equivalent for primary and secondary schools to check such if truly it exists.

To be the best of many knowledge, NUC doesn't control primary and secondary schools.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by CodeTemplar: 9:03am On Oct 24, 2018
asuustrike1:

Public university graduate although not all erroneously assume all private university graduate are favoured because
1. Their lecturers are envious of seeing them do better
2. That some private universities grade their students high to attract more customers. Hence when they meet one or two students from private universities who fumble, they conclude they know nothing

I wasn't saying NUC covers primary and secondary schools but suggesting there should an equivalent body for primary and secondary schools so they can regulate what goes on in those schools.
Private universities get external examiners from time to time and that van be replicated in primary schools.

12 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Joevics(m): 9:04am On Oct 24, 2018
How true is the above comment about private schools not repeating children?

We should a NUC equivalent for primary and secondary schools to check such if truly it exists.
its actually true, especially in places like Ogun and Lagos where there are numerous schools.

The school I served don't even grade students. The students are reluctant to learn, because they know they can't fail.

Some will submit empty sheet in exams, even with time remaining and go outside and start playing.

When I noticed this, I stopped giving them extra marks and started putting their real score on their results sheets. The principal wasn't happy though cheesy Wetin concern me.

Even The top schools don't grade their primary school pupils, because they don't want parents to take awy their children.

The school my friends served gives out their exam questions to the students 2 weeks before the exams so they can revise.
And despite that still allows those who didn't score high to rewrite the examinations, since parents request for answers sheets.

Its a shame.

45 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by yemobrown(m): 9:15am On Oct 24, 2018
The main reason these kid's cannot pass any external examination without influence.

If God grant me a child, I will instill in him, moral values, discipline and honesty as his guide.

Parents believes their children more than they believe the teachers this day. When a teacher reports a child to the parent instead of the parent to investigate the report, the parent will tell the teachers ("my child does not tell Lie's).

At the end of the day, those children ends up becoming a cultist or a LovePeddler and the parent ultimately get disappointed because their Ward's had been lying to them all along.

Nobody is saying parents should not trust their Ward's.
Parent, please investigate the report before any action.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by sasidubaj: 9:34am On Oct 24, 2018
everybody is getting smart naa,how far
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Dimahtee: 9:53am On Oct 24, 2018
Aditii:

You've got the message wrong, sis. Repeating actually ensures a child is prepared for what's s/he will face ahead.

Aditii:
Is that not progress? Does that not show that children are getting smarter?

It's actually not progress if a child will face problems in future because s/he he lacks the prerequisite knowledge he should have garnered. That's for children that are supposed to repeat.

27 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by falcon01: 10:03am On Oct 24, 2018
education in Nigeria is useless.

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Demogorgon(m): 10:19am On Oct 24, 2018
Vanpascore:
Try catholic schools, they still repeat students. They don't care if parents take away their children/wards.
You're right. Back then in Sacred Heart, i was made to repeat primary 3. Although i'm a graduate now, i believe they still do it till today.

13 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by sunshineV(f): 10:38am On Oct 24, 2018
The beautifuls are here
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Nobody: 10:45am On Oct 24, 2018
I served as a teacher in a secondary school in cross-river state. The level of moral and the attentiveness given to education has drastically reduced. The proprietor of the school doesn't even trust the standard! He had to put his wards in a better school in the city.
These kids(I took JSS1-JSS3),had little or no respect for teachers, they were never ready to learn. At the end of the day wether the teacher likes it or not the students must PASS. If I should start telling my tales here front page will not contain it. I remembered when I was in secondary school and teachers would set standard questions for us, it it worse in that school cos you are not allowed to do that; just give them questions that you know they will be able to answer. Lols
Imagine 20 objective questions each caring two marks, and you must set it in such a way that the students must be able to answer them. The Theory aspect is just 3 questions each with 10 marks.
It's bad because these kids would face reality outside their school examinations, why not make them familiar with standard form of questions?
These students failed my exams for the two terms I spent there. I couldn't imagine myself setting low questions just so they could pass. I almost started crying while marking their scripts. I was like "didn't I teach you people? Even did revisions. I drew animal and plant cell in JSS1, such questions must not be seen in SS3 exams sef.
I was asked to repeat in my secondary school, not because of anything else but because I had 48D in English even tho I passed every other subjects. This scenario can hardly happen in schools now.
I recommend a good public school over an over priced private school anyday. Public school teachers doesn't care about who you are, they will set standard questions and give you your marks accordingly, these people will prepare you for the future. At the end of the day, private school is a most times all about the money.

56 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by millomaniac: 10:49am On Oct 24, 2018
johnmba:

cc: Lalasticlala
Seun

Simple. It's because our educational system has collapsed. Fact is you can not get quality education in Nigerian public schools. Anybody saying otherwise is just consoling him/her self

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by 1miccza: 11:24am On Oct 24, 2018
Aditii:

I beg to disagree, why will i take my child to school, if the child will flow through every class without actually picking up anything , i can as well keep the child at home, teach the child and then start a business for the guy..

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Fundamentalist: 11:43am On Oct 24, 2018
Very good observation

2 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by francisduru: 12:14pm On Oct 24, 2018
They are now sorting, awon big babes
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by ITbomb(m): 12:19pm On Oct 24, 2018
Repeat which class?
Is it the one I'm paying 80k per term and N240k per year?

Is like something is wrong with you

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by door2(m): 1:29pm On Oct 24, 2018
bro try and visit Ogun state....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. / Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right / Admission In Atbu Bauchi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.