Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,875 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? (30246 Views)

Why Are School Charging For 3rd Term With The Corvid -19 Crisis / Are School Curricula In Nigeria Designed To Kill Some Students’ Talents? / 19-Year-Old Nigerian Lady Graduates From UK University After Repeating Exams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by EmyLeo(m): 1:50pm On Oct 24, 2018
Aditii:
Is that not progress? Does that not show that children are getting smarter? So to you, the number of times a child repeats depicts quality education? You Africans and your sickening backwards mentality. Spits!

Lol, calm down dear.

..you might be right with kids getting smarter, also most private schools would passed a child with low grades,most especially when the kid's parent are rich.

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Nobody: 2:01pm On Oct 24, 2018
do they fail or repeat abroad no. so nothing bad here.
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by LordIsaac(m): 3:35pm On Oct 24, 2018
We now have a monetised system....Buhari is just one of the many problems of this country!
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by CodeTemplar: 4:08pm On Oct 24, 2018
ITbomb:
Repeat which class?
Is it the one I'm paying 80k per term and N240k per year?

Is like something is wrong with you
That will amount to hiding a serious setback and possibly misleading the child. I blame the parents but also blame the schools.
If in first term a child performs woefully, the school should be the one inviting the parent over for a round table talk and make sure the parents are aware of what is about to happen.
The CA test and exams will give them total of 6 chances to warn parents over one academic year.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by NL1960: 4:12pm On Oct 24, 2018
johnmba:
In my days children who fail classes are asked to repeat class. Some repeat class twice before they move to the next class. But its unfortunate that recently children do not fail again.

I have never i mean NEVER seen anybody whose child repeat class. Every parents will tell you my children did well. Very soon this term will finish and every parent will tell their friends how wonderful their children performed.

The method of grading children have been abolished by some private schools.

What is happening.......is it that children these days are all doing well.

cc: Lalasticlala
Seun

In Catholic schools, a child can repeat and once you fail the class again, you are withdrawn. In addition, it is only some classes that you are allowed to repeat. For other classes, it is immediate withdrawal.
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by johnmba: 7:05pm On Oct 24, 2018
ITbomb:
Repeat which class?
Is it the one I'm paying 80k per term and N240k per year?

Is like something is wrong with you

That is what we are saying. No private school want to fail someone child after paying huge amount of money.

In lagos, abuja and ph people pay as high as 400k per term for primary school student. Tell me how the school will fail the child.

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by johnmba: 7:09pm On Oct 24, 2018
Lalasticlala, seun....i tot by now this thread will be in front page to let people know whats happening
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by pawesome(m): 8:16pm On Oct 24, 2018
Private schools are the cause... After paying that huge amount of money for fees and you repeat d student ,b rest assured that the student is going to another school to continue to the next class... So private schools do not want to loose students or rather customers so they keep promoting you even if you do not understand shiiiijii

2 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Angelovic96: 8:17pm On Oct 24, 2018
Vanpascore:
Try catholic schools, they still repeat students. They don't care if parents take away their children/wards.

I tell you Catholic schools no get joy, sometimes it's fail and fail out.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Ctrlfocus: 8:17pm On Oct 24, 2018
johnmba:
In my days children who fail classes are asked to repeat class. Some repeat class twice before they move to the next class. But its unfortunate that recently children do not fail again.

I have never i mean NEVER seen anybody whose child repeat class. Every parents will tell you my children did well. Very soon this term will finish and every parent will tell their friends how wonderful their children performed.

The method of grading children have been abolished by some private schools.

What is happening.......is it that children these days are all doing well.

Hahaha. .. Nice observation. A question begging for an answer from our ministry of education.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by almakiyyun(m): 8:17pm On Oct 24, 2018
In the private school where I teach we witness demotion of pupils and students every year.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Midgut(m): 8:18pm On Oct 24, 2018
I think you haven't heard anything about medical school!

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by pawesome(m): 8:19pm On Oct 24, 2018
johnmba:

That is what we are saying. No private school want to fail someone child after paying huge amount of money.

In lagos, abuja and ph people pay as high as 400k per term for primary school student. Tell me how the school will fail the child.

you de mad make you repeat student after paying that amount of money... Even if Na Olodo,then what am I paying fees for?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Groovenaija360(m): 8:20pm On Oct 24, 2018
See what Buhari has caused in the Nigerian Educational system?
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Angelovic96: 8:23pm On Oct 24, 2018
yeyerolling:
do they fail or repeat abroad no. so nothing bad here.

Who told you that! here in Germany many do repeat class! you can not promote one when he or she have not done very well in his papers! you are not helping them rather you are spoiling their future.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Oct 24, 2018
Proliferation of private schools.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Adiwana: 8:26pm On Oct 24, 2018
Dimahtee:

You've got the message wrong, sis. Repeating actually ensures a child is prepared for what's s/he will face ahead.

It's actually not progress if a child will face problems in future because s/he he lacks the prerequisite knowledge he should have garnered. That's for children that are supposed to repeat.

I beg to disagree.Repeating doesnt ensure progress in any form.I have a friend schooling outside the country.Dude says upon failing any exam means you rewrite at least once.Then you then repeat.Note the difference between reprating an exam and a whole class.Repeating is one form that keeps holding students down.And if you actually check,you will notice that people that do repeat do not actually measure up cause of the psychological impact such things tends to have on the childs education.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Oct 24, 2018
EVERYONE IS now PAMPERED.
No one wants to lose CUSTOMERS not even CHURCHES.
People are now pampered with their stupidity.

When I wrote JAMB, the use of MATHEMATICAL CALCULATOR was a grave sin punishable by 21 years imprisonment rather we resorted to the use of FOUR FIGURE TABLES but now KIDS are given Same CALCULATORS by JAMB.

I was flogged for reporting late to the Children’s Church, but now kids insult their teachers and rush to their parents for safety.
PARENTS now beat Teachers for scolding their kids.

......tales of a FINISHED NATION

9 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Hostermipo(m): 8:26pm On Oct 24, 2018
even in government schools in Osun state, teachers are not allowed to repeat any student... that's why I am not surprised about osun state's position according to waec performance

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by femi4: 8:27pm On Oct 24, 2018
Aditii:
Is that not progress? Does that not show that children are getting smarter? So to you, the number of times a child repeats depicts quality education? You Africans and your sickening backwards mentality. Spits!
Madam, are you from Indonesia?
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Amumaigwe: 8:28pm On Oct 24, 2018
Aditii:

I hope the progress is also showing in the number of problems they have been able to solve after leaving school.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Adiwana: 8:29pm On Oct 24, 2018
Angelovic96:

Who told you that! here in Germany many do repeat class! you can not promote one when he or she have not done very well in his papers! you are not helping them rather you are spoiling their future.

I have a friend schooling in turkey and he says you have to write the failed exams,Not repeat.Repeat comes in when you fail the rewritten exams.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by naturefellow(m): 8:31pm On Oct 24, 2018
Aditii:
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by OAKSFIVEFARMS: 8:32pm On Oct 24, 2018
Aditii:
No be small aditii

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by LadyExcellency: 8:32pm On Oct 24, 2018
It was stopped because of high rate of suicide among pupils and students.

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Angelovic96: 8:32pm On Oct 24, 2018
Adiwana:

I have a friend schooling in turkey and he says you have to write the failed exams,Not repeat.Repeat comes in when you fail the rewritten exams.

may be that's Turkey standard
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by zill(f): 8:33pm On Oct 24, 2018
Vanpascore:
Try catholic schools, they still repeat students. They don't care if parents take away their children/wards.

True, they repeat children who don't meet up in my kids school or tell you to withdraw them. Dem no send
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Ohraykon: 8:35pm On Oct 24, 2018
Sapphire11:
I served as a teacher in a secondary school in cross-river state. The level of moral and the attentiveness given to education has drastically reduced. The proprietor of the school doesn't even trust the standard! He had to put his wards in a better school in the city.
These kids(I took JSS1-JSS3),had little or no respect for teachers, they were never ready to learn. At the end of the day wether the teacher likes it or not the students must PASS. If I should start telling my tales here front page will not contain it. I remembered when I was in secondary school and teachers would set standard questions for us, it it worse in that school cos you are not allowed to do that; just give them questions that you know they will be able to answer. Lols
Imagine 20 objective questions each caring two marks, and you must set it in such a way that the students must be able to answer them. The Theory aspect is just 3 questions each with 10 marks.
It's bad because these kids would face reality outside their school examinations, why not make them familiar with standard form of questions?
These students failed my exams for the two terms I spent there. I couldn't imagine myself setting low questions just so they could pass. I almost started crying while marking their scripts. I was like "didn't I teach you people? Even did revisions. I drew animal and plant cell in JSS1, such questions must not be seen in SS3 exams sef.
I was asked to repeat in my secondary school, not because of anything else but because I had 48D in English even tho I passed every other subjects. This scenario can hardly happen in schools now.
I recommend a good public school over an over priced private school anyday. Public school teachers doesn't care about who you are, they will set standard questions and give you your marks accordingly, these people will prepare you for the future. At the end of the day, private school is a most times all about the money.
i also served as a teacher in cross river too in ikom i also went tru wat u went thru i remember begging dem to learn i had to be so friendly to dem because i so pitied dem. Its now i appreciate the public schools in lagos n my funny teachers then amso scared for dis nation. The educational system is notin to write home about.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by EzeIgboNwaChukwu(m): 8:35pm On Oct 24, 2018
Aditii:
oh shut up

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Iseloogunise: 8:35pm On Oct 24, 2018
It is so sad.
A lot is responsible for this:
1. Schools are business entities and must survive. They operate on income, expenditures, profits etc.
2. General loss of values. Nobody cares about hardwork, honesty, etc. It's about making the bucks through whatever means; and the rich are the ones who are respected.
3. Governmental failures/supervision failures/collapse of values system leading to corruption: Government should have supported education enough to ensure that business men do not take over completely. Placing education on the profit based platform entirely will lead to nothing but failures-the reasons are quite clear.
School inspectors, supervisors etc who should have been responsible for checks on schools collect bribes;
What has happened and is happening to education is a mirror image of everything wrong with us as a nation.
It's so sad.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. / Admission In Atbu Bauchi / Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.