Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,861 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:28 PM

Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? (30245 Views)

Why Are School Charging For 3rd Term With The Corvid -19 Crisis / Are School Curricula In Nigeria Designed To Kill Some Students’ Talents? / 19-Year-Old Nigerian Lady Graduates From UK University After Repeating Exams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Igxx(m): 8:37pm On Oct 24, 2018
in private schools when a student's performance is poor some parent might ask their wards 2 repeat the class while some will ask their ward 2 move to the next class with the excuse of finding their children private lesson teacher but in public schools when a student performance is bad they must repeat the class

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by somehow: 8:38pm On Oct 24, 2018
Is this what smartness mean?
sasidubaj:
everybody is getting smart naa,how far
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by fatty1313: 8:38pm On Oct 24, 2018
Sapphire11:
I served as a teacher in a secondary school in cross-river state. The level of moral and the attentiveness given to education has drastically reduced. The proprietor of the school doesn't even trust the standard! He had to put his wards in a better school in the city.
These kids(I took JSS1-JSS3),had little or no respect for teachers, they were never ready to learn. At the end of the day wether the teacher likes it or not the students must PASS. If I should start telling my tales here front page will not contain it. I remembered when I was in secondary school and teachers would set standard questions for us, it it worse in that school cos you are not allowed to do that; just give them questions that you know they will be able to answer. Lols
Imagine 20 objective questions each caring two marks, and you must set it in such a way that the students must be able to answer them. The Theory aspect is just 3 questions each with 10 marks.
It's bad because these kids would face reality outside their school examinations, why not make them familiar with standard form of questions?
These students failed my exams for the two terms I spent there. I couldn't imagine myself setting low questions just so they could pass. I almost started crying while marking their scripts. I was like "didn't I teach you people? Even did revisions. I drew animal and plant cell in JSS1, such questions must not be seen in SS3 exams sef.
I was asked to repeat in my secondary school, not because of anything else but because I had 48D in English even tho I passed every other subjects. This scenario can hardly happen in schools now.
I recommend a good public school over an over priced private school anyday. Public school teachers doesn't care about who you are, they will set standard questions and give you your marks accordingly, these people will prepare you for the future. At the end of the day, private school is a most times all about the money.
this is the same issue I am currently facing in IMO state. The level of negligence for education here is at its apogee and to think this is the state WAEC rated third or so sometime ago. They don't know anything and they must not fail... just as if we are practically begging them to come to school. back in Lagos state, I had to repeat SS2 before I discovered myself. The shame alone is enough to reset your brain and now I am a graduate of economics from the University of first choice and Nation's pride.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by awoluyi(m): 8:41pm On Oct 24, 2018
I have never i mean NEVER seen anybody whose child repeat class. Every parents will tell you my children did well.

My son had to repeat SS2 when he was promoted on trial to SS3; today I am a proud father of a barrister with LLM degree.
Parents do not allow their children to repeat clases again because of exorbitant school fees.
Secondly, every child wants to be a graduate before attaining the age of 20 years.

11 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Memories12411: 8:41pm On Oct 24, 2018
The schools are more interested in the money than the child's performance. After paying huge money for a session, you can't expect parents to be comfortable with repeat. For peace to reign, the whole class must be promoted.
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by AstuteAyo(m): 8:44pm On Oct 24, 2018
Aditii:
Is that not progress? Does that not show that children are getting smarter? So to you, the number of times a child repeats depicts quality education? You Africans and your sickening backwards mentality. Spits!
This ain't the issue of backward mentality, the topic aired calls for a sensible contribution, am gutted u ain't providing one. Are you now telling us that all children's academic performance these days deserves accolades to warrant promotion?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by AstuteAyo(m): 8:45pm On Oct 24, 2018
Aditii:
Is that not progress? Does that not show that children are getting smarter? So to you, the number of times a child repeats depicts quality education? You Africans and your sickening backwards mentality. Spits!
This ain't the issue of backward mentality, the topic aired calls for a sensible contribution, am gutted u ain't providing one. Are you now telling us that all children's academic performance these days deserves accolades to warrant promotion ?
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by SirLakes: 8:47pm On Oct 24, 2018
Na this kain topic we suppose dey see here not a booby that is risky.

Op send me your akkant lemme dash you my last 5h naira grin

Students still fail in some standard public schools.......

In private schools, impossicant..... Parents will be like.... You didn't teach my child very well after paying that huge school fees... even if dem know say na Dundee pikin dem born

2 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by BigBros147(m): 8:48pm On Oct 24, 2018
Schools nowadays are money conscious. The well being of the child isn't the focus of the school anymore, but the money is what the school focuses on.

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by chubinwa(m): 8:51pm On Oct 24, 2018
Olalan:
They don't repeat in private school for the fear of the parent taking their kids to other schools
Private schools invariably killed the standard of education in Nigeria. both in elementary and higher level

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by realityone(m): 8:56pm On Oct 24, 2018
Infact I teach currently in a catholic school, at the end of last session about five students were to repeat and many on probation...
Vanpascore:
Try catholic schools, they still repeat students. They don't care if parents take away their children/wards.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by suregalluv(f): 8:56pm On Oct 24, 2018
Students still repeat classes in my alma mater. Grade "A" was even raised to 90.
P.s. It's a top private school in Akwaibom state.

The parents withdraw them when their children are asked to repeat.
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Maket: 8:58pm On Oct 24, 2018
Repeat them in public school and they will go and get a higher class in private school and graduate before their mate.
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Tonimordred(m): 8:59pm On Oct 24, 2018
Oyibo no dey repeat class...gone are those days
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by raphaeladeyele: 8:59pm On Oct 24, 2018
For children not repeating now adays comes the Govt &Parents
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Slamjamz22(m): 9:02pm On Oct 24, 2018
Cos our education system is dead.. tanku

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by nextstep(m): 9:03pm On Oct 24, 2018
Aditii:

It's a valid question. In any group of people, there is a Gaussian distribution of ability/intelligence/motivation: eg. the majority will pass, some will fail woefully, and some will excel beyond expectation. It applies in any setting, any country, any age.

Now imagine a maths or English class where the teacher is very strict and has extremely high standards: chances are many students will fail. On the other hand if the teacher's standards are too low, then every student will "pass". It doesn't really say much about whether students actually learned or not. The decision of age-appropriate subjects to teach is guided by this metric that: if everybody understands it without issue, we should teach this concept earlier, but if it's too hard, we should delay it. That's one reason why Calculus isn't taught till SS or even Uni (there's nothing in Calculus you could not do with Primary 5 math, but it has lots of unintuitive concepts like infinity, limits, differentiation, that make it harder for younger audience to grasp).

Students used to be held back, but it seems over the past 20 years or so (in Nigeria as well as around the world), there has been more concern about the social concerns of having children held back. Now teachers are under pressure to make sure "no child is left behind". See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Child_Left_Behind_Act#Gaming_the_system.

The irony in our country is that: everybody "passes", yet so few have actual, objectively verifiable proof of mastering the subjects they "passed". The evidence points to lowered standards. We don't want people to fail, but if there are no failures and no repeats, it begs the question of "well, why?"

*in the plot below, the small numbers at left and right illustrate that few people will fail, and few will excel, but most will pass on average.

7 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by passey: 9:03pm On Oct 24, 2018
Aditii:

Cho- cho- cho....
Everything "You Africans", " You Africans "...as if all that is African is bad and all things non-african are automatically good!
They are talking about educational quality decline not colonial mentality and utopian, grass-on-the-other-is-automatically-green.
The issue is about grades for sale in private school system... And how assessments are not meritoriously done anymore...which is true!

3 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Templa(m): 9:09pm On Oct 24, 2018
Hehehe valid question..with the desperation of school and dwindling quality of education in most schools due to the profit mentality most have, it is now up the parents to monitor the child's progress and repeat or change school as the case may be.. Only literate parents will understand this.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by unadeymadkwa: 9:09pm On Oct 24, 2018
ITbomb:
Repeat which class?
Is it the one I'm paying 80k per term and N240k per year?

Is like something is wrong with you

True talk.
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by encryptjay(m): 9:15pm On Oct 24, 2018
Joevics:

its actually true, especially in places like Ogun and Lagos where there are numerous schools.

The school I served don't even grade students. The students are reluctant to learn, because they know they can't fail.

Some will submit empty sheet in exams, even with time remaining and go outside and start playing.

When I noticed this, I stopped giving them extra marks and started putting their real score on their results sheets. The principal wasn't happy though cheesy Wetin concern me.

Even The top schools don't grade their primary school pupils, because they don't want parents to take awy their children.

The school my friends served gives out their exam questions to the students 2 weeks before the exams so they can revise.
And despite that still allows those who didn't score high to rewrite the examinations, since parents request for answers sheets.

Its a shame.
This one off me.
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Orpe7(m): 9:16pm On Oct 24, 2018
Its all about the money now
Every school dey claim 99% A1 in waec fpr their students
No olodo for naija again abi

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by uuzba(m): 9:21pm On Oct 24, 2018
Olalan:
They don't repeat in private school for the fear of the parent taking their kids to other schools

...for the fear You will tell a child a lie, decieve the child just to collect money.... ...for the fear of telling the truth.
Will anybody stand on judgment day at all? Abi fear will not even allow anybody to enter heaven?
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Mirriamvic(f): 9:23pm On Oct 24, 2018
fuckerstard:
Sometime ago, i was teaching at a very small primary school somwhere around that Iba.

These kids no sabi jackshiit, and they aren't ready to learn only few of them passed the exam. Me wey i no sabi say everything na bizness i graded the kids by dia performance.

The next day, the female proprietor was very mad at me and asked me to quickly go and fix everything that none of them must fail. I weak! She said they won't come back after the holidays.

Who we wan blame?
WHEN THE PUPILS HAVE NOT LEARNT THE TEACHER HAS NOT TAUGHT EXCEPT THE CHILD IS slowpoke

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by kanubiafra: 9:39pm On Oct 24, 2018
Olalan:
so true my wife served in a school at idah kogi state divine schools or what ever it is . in this school they had upto 4-5 pupils that comes first in a class and another set of pupils will come second and yet another group will come third and so on nobody carry last or fails

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by khallyberry: 9:41pm On Oct 24, 2018
ITbomb:
Repeat which class? Is it the one I'm paying 80k per term and N240k per year?
Is like something is wrong with you
This one weak me cheesy cheesy
#sadReality
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by donemzy115(m): 9:42pm On Oct 24, 2018
have u seen parents withdraw there children,enrol them in another school ahead of there mates in the previous school?even when they know that the child(ren) is of low performance...Well,i have taught in schools where students do repeat but before you do such,u must first let the parent know about it.and truth be told,no parent that pays huge amount for sch fee will want to hear that word "repeat",,the teacher will bag all the blame.So to avoid this,the teacher wil need an extra pen,pencil and eraser when marking.

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by highbee02: 9:45pm On Oct 24, 2018
[quote author=asuustrike1 post=72364363][/quote]

Read again, the poster is talking about the NUC EQUIVALENT for both primary and secondary schools
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by kingharzy: 9:48pm On Oct 24, 2018
OP. . Nobody will pay a minimum of 50k for a single class twice.
It's as easy
TEACHER: we'll teach you little, when you go higher it will be expanded for you
Then. . .
LECTURER: i won't bother myself going deep, you all must have been given indepth knowledge from O'levels.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by iamclime(m): 9:53pm On Oct 24, 2018
fuckerstard:
Sometime ago, i was teaching at a very small primary school somwhere around that Iba.

These kids no sabi jackshiit, and they aren't ready to learn only few of them passed the exam. Me wey i no sabi say everything na bizness i graded the kids by dia performance.

The next day, the female proprietor was very mad at me and asked me to quickly go and fix everything that none of them must fail. I weak! She said they won't come back after the holidays.

Who we wan blame?
Had a similar experience with a school in Egbeda in 1999/2000. I even mentioned it in a forum with some educators today. It's all about the money. The proliferation of so-called private schools (many of them claiming to be Montessori-based) has not really added serious value to our primary education system. Maria Montessori will weep if she is around today!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Pearl05(f): 9:54pm On Oct 24, 2018
While waiting for jamb then, I got teaching job at a private nursery and primary school. A troublesome trader had 4 kids in that school. The kids were low average. After working out the report on spreadsheet , the proprietress will collect those kids report cards and fill in fake results. The kids whose positions should be from the ranges of 25th- 35th position will go home with nothing less than 5th position.

The reason was that the man will remove the kids from her school any day they fail exams.

But I believe there are still good ones around.
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by highbee02: 9:58pm On Oct 24, 2018
I used red ink for scores between 0 and 39 during my service year in Osun and the proprietor said that I was sending a wrong signal to the parents. He gave me another report booklet and asked me to start all over. Jss1 -3 basic science and agric, ss1 biology

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. / Admission In Atbu Bauchi / Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.