Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,891 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? (30247 Views)

Why Are School Charging For 3rd Term With The Corvid -19 Crisis / Are School Curricula In Nigeria Designed To Kill Some Students’ Talents? / 19-Year-Old Nigerian Lady Graduates From UK University After Repeating Exams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by afroxyz: 12:26am On Oct 25, 2018
pawesome:
you de mad make you repeat student after paying that amount of money... Even if Na Olodo,then what am I paying fees for?

It I not only the teacher's job to teach your kids!
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by afroxyz: 12:27am On Oct 25, 2018
jimcaddy:
How will I be paying 250k to 300k per session and you are telling me that my child has to repeat a class. Make sure he passes. That's why I'm paying you..

In other words you are using money to buy grades. If I may ask, to whose detriment?

3 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by afroxyz: 12:33am On Oct 25, 2018
Adiwana:

Maybe different eras or settings but the ones i knew never did well.It was more of asking someone who had higher percentage of repeating again to do same thereby revolving in the same cycle.Why do you think people repeat twice??if there was a 90% chance of that person topping his classes after repetitions then the issue of repeating twice should never exist and schools will encourage it more because it then brings out the best in students.Afterall if my child repeating a class will make him to top his current and subsequent classes,then i wouldnt mind sacrificing that one year

In my personal opinion,the issue of repetition is not common these days because we are now moving away from the narrative of going to school to be successful .You tell your kid to repeat once,maybe twice.All for what?? 50k salary at the end of the day or being unemployed.So its now why waste that kids time all in the name to repeat??

School is not all about acdemics. There is also character building and values which you would need in the bigger society. Repeating a class makes the child know that to get something you have to work for it. Such mentality can spur him into entrepreneurship and being his own boss instead of waiting for people to hand him crumbs. If you know all this, why do you send your child to school then?

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by elizabeth147(f): 12:43am On Oct 25, 2018
Ur Heart Is Wicked Dat U Ve 2 Wish School Children Evil.
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Fourwinds: 1:36am On Oct 25, 2018
Aditii:
Is that not progress? Does that not show that children are getting smarter? So to you, the number of times a child repeats depicts quality education? You Africans and your sickening backwards mentality. Spits!
you are very funny with your reply to be sincere.. The reason is just this

They don't repeat in private school for the fear of the parent taking their kids to other schools

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Fourwinds: 1:39am On Oct 25, 2018
elizabeth147:
Ur Heart Is Wicked Dat U Ve 2 Wish School Children Evil.

So those that repeated in the 80s, 90s it is because someone wished them evil right? Come reasoning is intellect
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Fourwinds: 1:46am On Oct 25, 2018
Vanpascore:
Try catholic schools, they still repeat students. They don't care if parents take away their children/wards.
I agree with you... Those are the schools I reckon with... They are like the British school that never lower its standard

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by tunene66: 3:54am On Oct 25, 2018
Olalan:
They don't repeat in private school for the fear of the parent taking their kids to other schools

My wife told me same last year
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by marvinsync(m): 4:50am On Oct 25, 2018
EVILFOREST:
EVERYONE IS now PAMPERED.
No one wants to lose CUSTOMERS not even CHURCHES.
People are now pampered with their stupidity.

When I wrote JAMB, the use of MATHEMATICAL CALCULATOR was a grave sin punishable by 21 years imprisonment rather we resorted to the use of FOUR FIGURE TABLES but now KIDS are given Same CALCULATORS by JAMB.

I was flogged for reporting late to the Children’s Church, but now kids insult their teachers and rush to their parents for safety.
PARENTS now beat Teachers for scolding their kids.

......tales of a FINISHED NATION

Ur not making sense

Why can't you use calculator? How does that help u, in life won't u use calculator , schools abroad set exams and allow their students to bring in their textbooks because they set intelligent real life questions knowing fully well that in real life ur problems won't be in the textbook because u can always check the textbook

And why should teachers flog students , that's child abuse

Ur generation is gone old man
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Blue3k(m): 5:28am On Oct 25, 2018
Lol these schools are run for and by morons. If your child isnt learning anything useful and you're paying money for it, youre an idiot. The school is pretty dumb priortising short term profits over their reputation. You dont want your school to be the dunce cap alumni factory.

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Nobody: 5:37am On Oct 25, 2018
NL1960:

In Catholic schools, a child can repeat and once you fail the class again, you are withdrawn. In addition, it is only some classes that you are allowed to repeat. For other classes, it is immediate withdrawal.

St Paul's minor Seminary Ukpor, Anambra state.
Failing a term means repeating the year, pass mark is 50, failing a term means having just 3 Fs or 5 Ps.

Meanwhile failing English, mathematics or Latin is automatic failing of the term. F is 49 and below o.

Catholic institutions still don't compromise standards.
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by 2kurupt(m): 5:42am On Oct 25, 2018
It is called let-my-people-go syndrome cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Nobody: 5:43am On Oct 25, 2018
The education system in Nigeria is dead. people think private universities dash out grades to their students..they don't know private universities purposely fail students so they come back and pay another fees.

As for kids, times have changed, we are now in a technology age, we now have kids talented in other diverse areas aside from their books, the old traditional book style is boring to them.
So private schools should develop more immersive and interesting ways of teaching students and increase their level of morality also reduce amount of students in a class as this helps in giving a 1 on 1 interaction with the teacher.

As for parents, put in more effort into your children education,its not all about the money...that's just my 2 cents.

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by dabiriy(m): 6:18am On Oct 25, 2018
This give me a flash back when I was in SS2 I repeated twice then . 2002

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by taretoofine(m): 6:22am On Oct 25, 2018
age limit for a graduate job I saw 21 ,person wey repeat school for primary, come join jamb admission palava, with strike for university, plus 1 wasted year of service..oboi I can only sing ayele ooo

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by honoc1(m): 6:48am On Oct 25, 2018
The standard of corruption has increased. ......sorry education lol
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by edlion57(m): 8:18am On Oct 25, 2018
Aditii:
Is that not progress? Does that not show that children are getting smarter? So to you, the number of times a child repeats depicts quality education? You Africans and your sickening backwards mentality. Spits!
we are talking about your type

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by andreawills96(f): 8:26am On Oct 25, 2018
the school owners are scared the parents will remove their child from the school, I remember when I was teaching at a private school during NYSC, after doing there result shit of 12 students I was asked to re_do them, that they don't fail kids imagine, and my PPA will always ask me which is a government school to add 30 marks each per student who know nothing. school is now about competition for parents not learning
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by pek(m): 8:38am On Oct 25, 2018
Groovenaija360:
See what Buhari has caused in the Nigerian Educational system?
SMHFU.
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Adiwana: 9:01am On Oct 25, 2018
Jiang:

Why would you assume your child will be a jobless mofo at the end. Education refines a person. There is always a big difference between an educated entrepreneur & a dull or uneducated one.

1- One uses his knowledge to expand & develop constantly. Business spanning generations!!
2- Dull one tries to get the smart ones to handle critical issues( they ALWAYS end up cheating him) he won't even notice.
3- illiterate will always be on the same product & system his whole life which will make the business shrink & finally end by his kids or grandkids if lucky.

Be right by ur kids, Inheritance money will always finish, instead give him the knowledge & capital to build his own empire

Never said the child will be a jobless mofo but lets stop all this Go to school you will be successful narrative cause we all know that is not always true.People that were always ahead in the class always lack behind when it comes to real life success and its never a coincidence.And repeating classes doesnt mean the person is uneducated.Know the difference between the two
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Nobody: 9:31am On Oct 25, 2018
DBestDoc:

People fail abroad oo.
I schooled abroad and 45% of my classmates couldn't make it to 3rd year.

Some people repeated and some others were demoted. It's not about African mentality, it's about relearning what you failed to learn and fulfilling the requirements for promotion.

If i'm to raise my kids in Nigeria, it's either a very staunch Catholic school, Military, an FGC or nothing more.

One of the kids i know that attended a top and expensive school in Nigeria, got an A in WASSCE mathematics but failed first year maths in his University abroad.
secondary school is wat we are talking about here not uni
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Nobody: 9:50am On Oct 25, 2018
Adiwana:

Never said the child will be a jobless mofo but lets stop all this Go to school you will be successful narrative cause we all know that is not always true.People that were always ahead in the class always lack behind when it comes to real life success and its never a coincidence.And repeating classes doesnt mean the person is uneducated.Know the difference between the two

Not "always" my brother, some actually do succeed in life. of course not all. Usually my dad says going to school will make you a better, learned & more sophisticated human being.

Anyways even God himself encourages us to search for knowledge where ever it may be.
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Vivuch: 10:27am On Oct 25, 2018
I represented my aunty in a PTA meeting, the headmistress was complaining of how the Primary 6 pupils didn't perform well in the common entrance, madam went further to say "upon she gave them signs for expo" she had to show us the finger signs she used in telling them obj answers ( mind you, this was a government owned school o) . I shock that day, when I got home and told my aunty everything,she just changed her kids school. Education is dead.
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by akpos4uall(m): 10:38am On Oct 25, 2018
ITbomb:
Repeat which class? Is it the one I'm paying 80k per term and N240k per year?
Is like something is wrong with you
You are part of the problem we are facing today in our country Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Mike1974(m): 10:47am On Oct 25, 2018
For Swift Stockbroking Seamless Platforms Solutions
For Swift Mobile Trading App Solution/OMS- You could buy and sell yourselves and
For Swift General Investment/Settlement/Advisory Services
Please contact; molorunyemi@gruenecapital.com, olorunyemi@gmail.com, 08101223958 (SMS/What’s App)
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Nobody: 10:57am On Oct 25, 2018
johnmba:
In my days children who fail classes are asked to repeat class. Some repeat class twice before they move to the next class. But its unfortunate that recently children do not fail again.

I have never i mean NEVER seen anybody whose child repeat class. Every parents will tell you my children did well. Very soon this term will finish and every parent will tell their friends how wonderful their children performed.

The method of grading children have been abolished by some private schools.

What is happening.......is it that children these days are all doing well.

the trend is worrisome they jump classes rather than repeat it.
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Litmus: 11:04am On Oct 25, 2018
johnmba:

You dont get the message. Read peoples comment

...and they wont appologise. such individuals are like your typical European and North American youth that are full of ignorance and arrogance. Informed by the delusional belief that West automatically means Right, they never can wait before heaping abuse on Africans when in many of those instances, the Nigerian generally knows better. It’s the tyranny of technological supremacy, the notion that technological advancement is same as sociological rightness.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by bmaks: 12:36pm On Oct 25, 2018
It's not the fault of the schools but that of these generation silly parents that we are having now....they went through strict measures to become better people in life yet they open their mouth to tell you "My children will never suffer that kind of a thing ooooo", How dat kin pikin go come get sense?. Don't get me wrong oooo, i am not saying you should start subjecting your children to abject poverty because you grew up in poverty and God later changed your story BUT I AM SAYING INSTILL THE SAME STRICT VALUES YOU GOT FROM THAT LIFESTYLE GROWING UP INTO THE CHILDREN.

Greeting people, being respectful, not talking back to Elders, reverence for Elders, lending a helping hand are not a signs of Poverty, Yet some NOWADAYS parents feel their children are eggs and should not be touched if they act abysmally stupid. Ekun Ojo ale ni won fi n sere (They will so much cry in their Old ages).

You will see Children walk pass you like you are a Tree or just saying Hi, if you talk you will hear Silly parents saying leave them its their time, they are in the civilized generation.....CIVILIZED GENERATION MY FOOT

2 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by DBestDoc(f): 3:02pm On Oct 25, 2018
yeyerolling:
secondary school is wat we are talking about here not uni

Same is applicable to all levels.
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Auladimeji1: 5:11pm On Oct 25, 2018
A private school pupil(s)(Intelligent) can't defeat a government school pupil(s)(Intelligent) in competition
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by mablie(m): 5:50pm On Oct 25, 2018
Litmus:

...and they wont appologise. such individuals are like your typical European and North American youth that are full of ignorance and arrogance. Informed by the delusional belief that West automatically means Right, they never can wait before heaping abuse on Africans when in many of those instances, the Nigerian generally knows better. It’s the tyranny of technological supremacy, the notion that technological advancement is same as sociological rightness.
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by akigbemaru: 5:59pm On Oct 25, 2018
johnmba:
In my days children who fail classes are asked to repeat class. Some repeat class twice before they move to the next class. But its unfortunate that recently children do not fail again.

I have never i mean NEVER seen anybody whose child repeat class. Every parents will tell you my children did well. Very soon this term will finish and every parent will tell their friends how wonderful their children performed.

The method of grading children have been abolished by some private schools.

What is happening.......is it that children these days are all doing well.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. / Admission In Atbu Bauchi / Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.