Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,830 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:43 PM

Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? (30244 Views)

Why Are School Charging For 3rd Term With The Corvid -19 Crisis / Are School Curricula In Nigeria Designed To Kill Some Students’ Talents? / 19-Year-Old Nigerian Lady Graduates From UK University After Repeating Exams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by frozen70(f): 9:59pm On Oct 24, 2018
The real truth is that,
private schools no longer grade students for the fear of losing the students and the parents might feel that the schools are not teaching well

Now the system they use is to pass every students

But as a parent, if you observe your child results is good but your observation on him shows that he is not intelligent or doing well when such child is with their mates,

You will start wandering how come he does well at school but poor performance with his mates

But most schools being handle by missionary I mean like Catholic missionary schools

If you fail you fail and it will be written failed

So it's either your child repeat or you change her school

Where the problem lyes now is that during waec they will still fail because they have been failing although

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by highbee02: 10:00pm On Oct 24, 2018
I used red ink for scores between 0 and 39 during my service year in Osun and the proprietor said that I was sending a wrong signal to the parents. He gave me another report booklet and asked me to start all over. Jss1 -3 basic science and agric, ss1 biology. Why do we conduct exams for these students? why do we sacrifice our time and energy to mark the scripts?

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by utenwuson: 10:04pm On Oct 24, 2018
Aditii:
Is that not progress? Does that not show that children are getting smarter? So to you, the number of times a child repeats depicts quality education? You Africans and your sickening backwards mentality. Spits!
u too dull abegi.....

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by CyberWolf: 10:09pm On Oct 24, 2018
Because there are enough money in the hands of brainless idiots who are always ready to throw it around, all thanks to Nigerian “democracy” where illiterates are ruling while the educated beg for 18k minimum wage angry .. So this political thieves and their friends in the private sector don’t care if their children has brain or not, they must pass whether the school likes it or not. Then the school has bills to pay so, they will close their eye and do whatever the parents wants and collect them their money.. Wetin concern them .. Sad reality of what the country has turned out to be and it keeps getting worse each passing day. Only God knows the kind koboko I will use to train my children.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by claseek(f): 10:10pm On Oct 24, 2018
johnmba:
Lalasticlala, seun....i tot by now this thread will be in front page to let people know whats happening
it's on front page.

BTW, you're right. Things have changed in this generation
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Tundehano(m): 10:11pm On Oct 24, 2018
Demogorgon:
You're right. Back then in Sacred Heart, i was made to repeat primary 3. Although i'm a graduate now, i believe they still do it till today.
which sacred heart bro??
Is it the one at osun state.
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by claseek(f): 10:16pm On Oct 24, 2018
Adiwana:

I beg to disagree.Repeating doesnt ensure progress in any form.I have a friend schooling outside the country.Dude says upon failing any exam means you rewrite at least once.Then you then repeat.Note the difference between reprating an exam and a whole class.Repeating is one form that keeps holding students down.And if you actually check,you will notice that people that do repeat do not actually measure up cause of the psychological impact such things tends to have on the childs education.
I don't agree. I attended a federal secondary school and if you fail you repeat. I am telling you from experience, 90 percent of those who repeated became better..no kidding. It was usually common to see 'repeaters' become among the top in class by the next session.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Nobody: 10:18pm On Oct 24, 2018
claseek:
I don't agree. I attended a federal secondary school and if you fail you repeat. I am telling you from experience, 90 percent of those who repeated became better..no kidding. It was usually common to see 'repeaters' become among the top in class by the next session.
Absolutely true. I concur. Although I studied in a private secondary school but all the repeater I knew back then improved tremendously except for one slowpoke I can never forget.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by xcelentattitude(m): 10:37pm On Oct 24, 2018
fuckerstard:
Sometime ago, i was teaching at a very small primary school somwhere around that Iba.

These kids no sabi jackshiit, and they aren't ready to learn only few of them passed the exam. Me wey i no sabi say everything na bizness i graded the kids by dia performance.

The next day, the female proprietor was very mad at me and asked me to quickly go and fix everything that none of them must fail. I weak! She said they won't come back after the holidays.

Who we wan blame?

I disagree with the above comment
Reason being that, I am a Teacher
How can you say that the kids aren't ready to learn
Why are they kids in the first instance?
They probably failed because you handled them with the "they are not ready to learn" mentality
I also observed from your comment that - you are not a qualified teacher, you probably went into teaching for money and not for the love of it.
You expect the headmistress to just watch you spoil her market ba?
Just wait until you have your own school, you'll understand.

What do I know anyways?

#commentReadersAssociation
You write it, we read it

2 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by chukwuibuipob: 10:42pm On Oct 24, 2018
embarassed embarassed embarassed lipsrsealed embarassed students dey repeat klass in public sch ooo.Back in those days,after u finished sweeping the classroom, packed ur locker to one corner.Ur klass tisa go enter,clear throat cum dey kal 1st, 2nd,3rd.............U nor hia ur name till he reach on trial.and REPEAT .IYA MO PASS,ERAN LO JE CARD MI
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by jaafree: 10:43pm On Oct 24, 2018
schools turns to business centers u don't even know
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Saka18(m): 10:44pm On Oct 24, 2018
Aditii:
Is that not progress? Does that not show that children are getting smarter? So to you, the number of times a child repeats depicts quality education? You Africans and your sickening backwards mentality. Spits!

Why argue with aditii (deaf) who knows what progress means.
Go and drink agbara bitters and sleep jorh.

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Demogorgon(m): 10:51pm On Oct 24, 2018
Tundehano:
which sacred heart bro??
Is it the one at osun state.
No. This particular one is in Edo State where i'm from.
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Adiwana: 10:59pm On Oct 24, 2018
claseek:

Maybe different eras or settings but the ones i knew never did well.It was more of asking someone who had higher percentage of repeating again to do same thereby revolving in the same cycle.Why do you think people repeat twice??if there was a 90% chance of that person topping his classes after repetitions then the issue of repeating twice should never exist and schools will encourage it more because it then brings out the best in students.Afterall if my child repeating a class will make him to top his current and subsequent classes,then i wouldnt mind sacrificing that one year

In my personal opinion,the issue of repetition is not common these days because we are now moving away from the narrative of going to school to be successful .You tell your kid to repeat once,maybe twice.All for what?? 50k salary at the end of the day or being unemployed.So its now why waste that kids time all in the name to repeat??
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Nobody: 11:14pm On Oct 24, 2018
CyberWolf:
Because there are enough money in the hands of brainless idiots who are always ready to throw it around, all thanks to Nigerian “democracy” where illiterates are ruling while the educated beg for 18k minimum wage angry .. So this political thieves and their friends in the private sector don’t care if their children has brain or not, they must pass whether the school likes it or not. Then the school has bills to pay so, they will close their eye and do whatever the parents wants and collect them their money.. Wetin concern them .. Sad reality of what the country has turned out to be and it keeps getting worse each passing day. Only God knows the kind koboko I will use to train my children.

Which usually ends with thousands of useless empty headed graduates with nothing but certificates they can't even prove they own.
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by XaintJoel20: 11:17pm On Oct 24, 2018
Aditii:

I guess you don't understand the post...
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by CyberWolf: 11:18pm On Oct 24, 2018
Jiang:

Which usually ends with thousands of useless empty headed graduates with nothing but certificates they can't even prove they own.
My brother that’s it and these gruaduates will join the street constituting nuisance and keeps wrecking the country more and more.. This country’s future is really really scary shocked ... I remember my elementary school days when during the closing day when report card will be distributed, you will see pupils crying and wailing because “repeat” was written on their report card. Some will be wailing and won’t go home bacause their daddy will kill them because they didn’t get 1st position.. Such things don’t happen again. Even the handwork we use to do where each student must submit brooms and basket he or she made from palm tree materials every Thursday doesn’t happen anymore. Sighs..

3 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Mirriamvic(f): 11:18pm On Oct 24, 2018
highbee02:
I used red ink for scores between 0 and 39 during my service year in Osun and the proprietor said that I was sending a wrong signal to the parents. He gave me another report booklet and asked me to start all over. Jss1 -3 basic science and agric, ss1 biology
BASIC SCIENCE KWA? IN SEC SCHOOL?
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by lexy2014: 11:19pm On Oct 24, 2018
Aditii:
arent u an african?

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by lexy2014: 11:22pm On Oct 24, 2018
Adiwana:

I beg to disagree.Repeating doesnt ensure progress in any form.I have a friend schooling outside the country.Dude says upon failing any exam means you rewrite at least once.Then you then repeat.Note the difference between reprating an exam and a whole class.Repeating is one form that keeps holding students down.And if you actually check,you will notice that people that do repeat do not actually measure up cause of the psychological impact such things tends to have on the childs education.
i repeated in primary school and it was d jolt of lightening that made me realise i was better than i thought

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Oct 24, 2018
Adiwana:

Maybe different eras or settings but the ones i knew never did well.It was more of asking someone who had higher percentage of repeating again to do same thereby revolving in the same cycle.Why do you think people repeat twice??if there was a 90% chance of that person topping his classes after repetitions then the issue of repeating twice should never exist and schools will encourage it more because it then brings out the best in students.Afterall if my child repeating a class will make him to top his current and subsequent classes,then i wouldnt mind sacrificing that one year

In my personal opinion,the issue of repetition is not common these days because we are now moving away from the narrative of going to school to be successful .You tell your kid to repeat once,maybe twice.All for what?? 50k salary at the end of the day or being unemployed.So its now why waste that kids time all in the name to repeat??

Why would you assume your child will be a jobless mofo at the end. Education refines a person. There is always a big difference between an educated entrepreneur & a dull or uneducated one.

1- One uses his knowledge to expand & develop constantly. Business spanning generations!!
2- Dull one tries to get the smart ones to handle critical issues( they ALWAYS end up cheating him) he won't even notice.
3- illiterate will always be on the same product & system his whole life which will make the business shrink & finally end by his kids or grandkids if lucky.

Be right by ur kids, Inheritance money will always finish, instead give him the knowledge & capital to build his own empire

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by CyberWolf: 11:27pm On Oct 24, 2018
Mirriamvic:
yes, basic science in junior secondary school. Subjects like integrated science(inter science), introductory technology(intro tech) are considered basic science.

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Nobody: 11:29pm On Oct 24, 2018
highbee02:

Read again, the poster is talking about the NUC EQUIVALENT for both primary and secondary schools
Of course I knew what the poster quoted. The regulator for primary and secondary schools is the federal and state ministry of education. At the moment am not aware of any regulatory body for universities
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by ashjay001(m): 11:37pm On Oct 24, 2018
johnmba:
In my days children who fail classes are asked to repeat class. Some repeat class twice before they move to the next class. But its unfortunate that recently children do not fail again.

I have never i mean NEVER seen anybody whose child repeat class. Every parents will tell you my children did well. Very soon this term will finish and every parent will tell their friends how wonderful their children performed.

The method of grading children have been abolished by some private schools.

What is happening.......is it that children these days are all doing well.

Even nigerian law school, dey graduate 130+ 1st class students, at a goshocked

Carry eye comot, that time don passsad
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by highbee02: 11:43pm On Oct 24, 2018
Mirriamvic:

Yes!!! Formerly it was called Integrated Science

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by highbee02: 11:52pm On Oct 24, 2018
CyberWolf:
yes, basic science in junior secondary school. Subjects like integrated science(inter science), introductory technology(intro tech) are considered basic science.

Thanks
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by jonvalek(m): 12:17am On Oct 25, 2018
Aditii:
Oga pipe down jare. What the dude meant was, how is it possible that if in a class of 100 kids, how come all of 'em passed? Who's 1st and who's 100th? Are you telling us now that a kid that came 100th in class should be promoted? Mr. Oga, even in the western, eastern or even European world today, kids still fail and repeat classes. If your understanding of an entire children in a school, non is failing, means that there is an improvement, then you really need a shellarking. Only bushman Nigerian thinks like this, and you can only find situations like this in Naija. T.I.N (This Is Nigeria)!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Pacesetter123(m): 12:23am On Oct 25, 2018
ITbomb:
Repeat which class?
Is it the one I'm paying 80k per term and N240k per year?

Is like something is wrong with you
kikikikikikiii,funny but so pathetic .Ohh,my country !!
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by Nobody: 12:23am On Oct 25, 2018
johnmba:
In my days children who fail classes are asked to repeat class. Some repeat class twice before they move to the next class. But its unfortunate that recently children do not fail again.

I have never i mean NEVER seen anybody whose child repeat class. Every parents will tell you my children did well. Very soon this term will finish and every parent will tell their friends how wonderful their children performed.

The method of grading children have been abolished by some private schools.

What is happening.......is it that children these days are all doing well.

Your Child can be the first.
Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by DBestDoc(f): 12:25am On Oct 25, 2018
yeyerolling:
do they fail or repeat abroad no. so nothing bad here.

People fail abroad oo.
I schooled abroad and 45% of my classmates couldn't make it to 3rd year.

Some people repeated and some others were demoted. It's not about African mentality, it's about relearning what you failed to learn and fulfilling the requirements for promotion.

If i'm to raise my kids in Nigeria, it's either a very staunch Catholic school, Military, an FGC or nothing more.

One of the kids i know that attended a top and expensive school in Nigeria, got an A in WASSCE mathematics but failed first year maths in his University abroad.

1 Like

Re: Why Are School Children Not Repeating Classes Again? by jimcaddy(m): 12:25am On Oct 25, 2018
How will I be paying 250k to 300k per session and you are telling me that my child has to repeat a class. Make sure he passes. That's why I'm paying you..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. / Admission In Atbu Bauchi / Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.