Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,379 members, 7,815,806 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. (30240 Views)

ASUU Strike: Why Nigerian Students Can’t Protest Against Buhari Govt – Adeyanju / Ultramodern Schools Built By Governor Zulum In Borno (Photos) / Man Embarrassed As Ibadan School Refused Letting Daughter In Because Of Hijab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Creeknigga(m): 7:07am On Oct 08, 2022
The pathetic state of education in insurgency-ravaged Borno State manifested in Malam-Fatori, Abadam Local Government Area of the state, where the state Governor, Prof. Babagana Zulum, discovered that majority of the students of a junior secondary school could not read.

Zulum, who was, last Thursday, at Malam-Fatori, the headquarters of Abadam Local Government Area, located along the shores of Lake Chad in the northern part of the state, paid a surprise visit to the town’s Central Primary School and carried out an aptitude test on about 100 students at the Junior Secondary School section of the school.

At the end of the test, the governor found out that 95 per cent of the students admitted could not read. Only seven of the entire students said they could read.

He then asked each of the seven students to read from a text book and to pronounce the phrase: “Social Studies”.

Five of the seven students pronounced it correctly while two failed.

The governor was deeply worried about the quality of teaching at the school, especially after he found out that of the 224 teachers on the payroll of schools in the LGA, only six were present during his visit, and none of them possessed the requisite teaching qualification.

Zulum’s findings confirmed a report presented to him in February 2022, which assessed quality of primary school teachers across the 27 local government areas of Borno State.

The report had categorised Abadam as having the worst indices because out of 224 teachers assessed, only 14 were certified fit to teach in primary schools, and none of the 14 were at the school during the governor’s visit on Thursday.

The report said 70 out of 224 teachers across Abadam LGA were found trainable, while 140 were untrainable and, therefore, unqualified to teach.

At the end of his Malam-Fatori Central Primary Schools findings, Zulum directed that drastic measures should be taken to address the situation, which included the deployment of qualified teachers and the retraining of 70 teachers found to be trainable across the LGA.

He promised government’s support to encourage the 70 teachers to return to colleges to acquire required knowledge and teaching skills.

Meanwhile, after dealing with school assessment, the governor supervised the distribution of cash to 600 families (households) who had returned to Malam-Fatori for resettlement.

https://punchng.com/zulum-embarrassed-as-jss-students-cant-write-read/

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 7:27am On Oct 08, 2022
They prefer to play with bombs

248 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by bibianna(f): 7:48am On Oct 08, 2022
They're students but can't speak English in this country! shocked

52 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by jaeyking(m): 8:06am On Oct 08, 2022
Yea there are students who can't speak English
Only their indigenous language, either pigdin, hausa, igbo or Yoruba.

Well he should flush out the teachers and employ new ones

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Ulunne777(f): 9:13am On Oct 08, 2022
He should be.
This is what an NCE graduate posted in Npower group grin.

55 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Creeknigga(m): 9:34am On Oct 08, 2022
Ulunne777:
He should be.
This is what an NCE graduate posted in Npower group grin.
We need to look into this wahala o

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Mirasteel: 10:41am On Oct 08, 2022
I have also seen graduates that can't write properly, some can't even spell some simple words.

51 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Nobody: 10:56am On Oct 08, 2022
.....na normal stuff naaaa
NYSC na time bomb.
In fact, that one na case study.
Person copy me then, also add my mama maiden's name to her own grin grin
Including my faculty and department.
Won't be surprised to see both of them in House of Reps few years from now.

80 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Terry44: 11:33am On Oct 08, 2022
Met a lot of them during my service year in benue.

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Creeknigga(m): 11:40am On Oct 08, 2022
MALIGNANTGuest:
.....na normal stuff naaaa
NYSC na time bomb.
In fact, that one na case study.
Person copy me then, also add my mama maiden's name to her own grin grin
Including my faculty and department.
Won't be surprised to see both of them in House of Reps few years from now.
You don't say!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by mytime24(f): 12:24pm On Oct 08, 2022
Quota system

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by iLegendd(m): 12:28pm On Oct 08, 2022
VeeVeeMyLuv:
They prefer to play with bombs
Chaii. You're so heartless. This comment made me laugh. At least, cow would've been better. The savage in this forum is too much. cheesy

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by eazyduzit: 12:58pm On Oct 08, 2022
I'm a teacher with one of the Government Secondary School here in Kaduna state and I can testify,the case is similar here.
From JSS (now UPPER BASIC School) to SSS ( Senior Secondary School) more especially the rural areas, you'll hardly see students that can read.
Dem plenty for my school.

68 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Creeknigga(m): 1:15pm On Oct 08, 2022
eazyduzit:
I'm a teacher with one of the Government Secondary School here in Kaduna state and I can testify,the case is similar here.
From JSS (now UPPER BASIC School) to SSS ( Senior Secondary School) more especially the rural areas, you'll hardly see students that can read.
Dem plenty for my school.
And don't you think or feel you people (teachers) are not doing enough?

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by eazyduzit: 1:24pm On Oct 08, 2022
Teachers are not the problem,their foundation is........
Majority of their parents don't give a damn about Western education but rather they prefer Islamic education,this children sometimes go during break (11:00am) and their parents will send them to go and sale tomatoes, peppers and other food essential ( we call it Tale) and they'll not return to school until the next day.
So many negative issues that I can't explain going on in the northern part of NIGERIA concerning the development of education.
Creeknigga:

And don't you think or feel you people (teachers) are not doing enough?

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by obyrich(m): 1:33pm On Oct 08, 2022
eazyduzit:
Majority of their parents don't give a damn about Western education but rather they prefer Islamic education,this children sometimes go during break (11:00am) and their parents will send them to go and sale tomatoes, peppers and other food essential ( we call it Tale) and they'll not return to school until the next day.
So many negative issues that I can't explain going on in the northern part of NIGERIA concerning the development of education.
Peter Obi has a lot of work to do in the North if he wins. These are talents wasting away. God help us.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Babaken(m): 1:36pm On Oct 08, 2022
Mirasteel:
I have also seen graduates that can't write properly, some can't even spell some simple words.
Even my cousin that's staying with me I feel embarrassed when I see him carrying himself been a graduate.

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by ednut1(m): 1:40pm On Oct 08, 2022
Chibok girl’s writing waec that year could not speak English

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Kessy090: 1:45pm On Oct 08, 2022
This is what our universities are busy churning out year in year out.

Without a doubt, once their brain can't hold it any longer, they'll look for the nearest job that'll provide income to make an end.

Unfortunately, they might not find one or firm to employ them due to lack of adequate education, hence TERRORISM.

Ain't in support of any government, but it's high time we change systems and start holding our so called rulers responsible, but at your end, do what's right.

10 Likes

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by eazyduzit: 1:45pm On Oct 08, 2022
Like seriously,this Northern children are wizard and brilliant but the foundation is there problem or do I say (priority if getting knowledge).If only their parents give priority to both Western and Islamic education,I tell you this guys will do awesomely well.
Just imagine what a kid from the North who can recite a whole Holy Quaran (written in Arabic) will do if given the support to embrace Western education.....
Just imagine.

obyrich:
Peter Obi has a lot of work to do in the North if he wins. These are talents wasting away. God help us.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Omihanifa: 1:52pm On Oct 08, 2022
It’s a normal thing in the north. Majority of the students can’t read and write. They are only good in Arabic.

It’s an open secret that the north is seriously dragging Nigeria behind in everything. If you have lived in the north before you will understand why am talking about.

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Omihanifa: 2:06pm On Oct 08, 2022
eazyduzit:
Like seriously,this Northern children are wizard and brilliant but the foundation is there problem or do I say (priority if getting knowledge).If only their parents give priority to both Western and Islamic education,I tell you this guys will do awesomely well.
Just imagine what a kid from the North who can recite a whole Holy Quaran (written in Arabic) will do if given the support to embrace Western education.....
Just imagine.

The problem is their leaders. ( political and religious). Their leaders don’t tell them the truth. And they keep feeding them with wrong information so that they can continue to ride over them. I’m my area dominated by Hausa, they see it as a sin if a girl that’s not your wife come to visit you. They will just believe it’s sex that’s joining you guys together.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by HELLASJ(m): 2:18pm On Oct 08, 2022
What's he expecting?
95% of schools in the North {(including tertiary institutions( esp COE))} give results anyhow.

Those folks are brilliant but they're never comfortable speaking any other language aside Hausa.

If you qoute me, then you're definitely one those folks.

15 Likes

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by agadez007(m): 2:27pm On Oct 08, 2022
Shettima’s home State
shettima was Governor there

So when tinubu said he couldn’t find any capable hands but shettima,this is what he was talking about?

16 Likes

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Generalwoodz(m): 2:47pm On Oct 08, 2022
Half of my class couldn't read or speak intelligibly.

That's if you want to gauge brilliance using the English language as a Yardstick.

I needed to help these kids I said. I went out of my way and for the love of humans and humanity, stopped all of them from one thing you and I relished from way back. Which is? Break time.

For months, when I looked into their eyes all I saw were vile, hateful, and unwell wishes cast and gazed at me. In their teenage eyes, a couple of them had clouds of tears, and fountains of perspirations on their Temples, and I could well picture stress in their bones when I drilled them intensely.

Even outside the high school, when I encounter anyone of that select group I inculcated whatever I thought could go a long way. Titians clashed. I cared less and would make sure I drilled you while I haggled prices of yam in the market.

I saw myself as a Titian. And collectively, I saw them as one too. And all together we were a war. Unspoken war. And uncompensated.

These kids from Kaduna progressed and the changes were marked. I was elated in my heart and directed the joy to knacking 3 of their sisters. Call it compensation?

Well, lately I heard some Sad news from that State. Elrufai cut the school days from 5 to 4. Meaning? Kids from public schools stay at home every Friday.

4 Likes

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Kiddogarcia(m): 2:47pm On Oct 08, 2022
The average northern kid is brilliant, sadly they are channelling all their mental abilities into less profitable dealings.
Na we be your best plug everything sexual enhancement tho

4 Likes

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by KunGioKehRah: 3:02pm On Oct 08, 2022
You want to correct a Hausa man for him papa house?

Are you a ?

Are you a bombosticbratatta?

1 Like

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by meum: 3:12pm On Oct 08, 2022
Why wouldn't they embarrass him? How does he expect them to read and write English when the subjects are taught in Hausa in most schools (especially village schools) ?

12 Likes

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Mercury12(m): 4:40pm On Oct 08, 2022
These people wan to finish Nigeria patapata. Go school e still become problem. Nawa o

8 Likes

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Creeknigga(m): 4:50pm On Oct 08, 2022
eazyduzit:
OK.
Seems definitely like a foundational problem.
But there should be a forum (PTA) where teachers meet parents to discuss these things.
Not also disputing the fact that the government have a lot to do in this regard.

3 Likes

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by SILVERLINES: 4:53pm On Oct 08, 2022
cheesy

What was he expecting? grin grin

Education of the north

Al these average illiterates ranting on social media are not far different from these pupils

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right / Top Five Universities In The South East / Admission In Atbu Bauchi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.