Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,995 members, 7,825,072 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:31 AM

500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. - Agriculture (57) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. (279612 Views)

Akwa Ibom Government Boosts Cocoa Farming With 500,000 Seedlings / 200 Graduates Get N74m, Free Land In Ogun / Irrigation For One Plot Of Land on Low Budget? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (127) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Nobody: 9:20pm On Oct 31, 2019
Thanks for answering my question...
But how do you go about the application of fertigation using drip tapes??
okoroemeka:
very interesting question,I think the use of drip irrigation will increase both yield and lifespan of cukes due to this few factors,(1)water is available to crops at all times,if you try to use hose and water 2000 cucumbers at 2pm hot afternoon in February you will understand,(2)water is delivered slowly not the high pressure hose that can even dislodge crop roots(3) fertigation possible (4)you can increase or decrease the water rate depends on weather,the list goes on, even the free time you will have will be invested in productive endeavors in the farm,if you are not a rugged individual don't ever consider using hose and water pump during dry season it is meant for farmers with sheer unbreakable determination.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 9:57pm On Oct 31, 2019
Psalm4kute:
Thanks for answering my question...
But how do you go about the application of fertigation using drip tapes??
there are many options that goes with the drip kit like filters,timers and in the case of fertigation you use Venturi,it's an optional extra I think.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Nobody: 7:16am On Nov 01, 2019
Wizs2019:

Bros, If I were you, I would have just created one long planting "line" instead of the individual planting holes you have because you are losing a lot of planting space with the way you have it now. If you have a planting "line", what I would recommend is to plant with 20cm spacing instead of the 1 hole 1 seed then next hole 2 seed. I don't think it is smart to plant 2 seeds in the same spot, the plants with just get reduced amount of nutrients because they are occupying the same soil area. That's my 2 kobo.

Brother can I please get your contact. Please
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Functionoftime(m): 8:08am On Nov 01, 2019
Wizs2019:

That's the problem my brother. I can't so the care/nutrients available to the plants is significantly reduced. Excess water in the soil reduces the oxygen in the soil so the roots of the plants start to rot which in turn kills the plants. Bottom line, too much water is no good. Which is why I am praising God for what I was able to achieve.
Don't you think mulching would have helped? The small area opened for plant to grow would have been covered by the leaf canopy, like 3 weeks after planting. So, even with excess rainfall, the moisture of the soil would still be reasonable enough to allow for fertigation, unless you dey take style dey enjoy the reduction in the cost of production, due to free irrigation from rainfall grin grin grin.
Mulching would also help to keep weeds due to excess rain, at bay.
Please correct my assumptions wherever I'm wrong because I'm open to learning.
Oga wiz and okoroemeka, please enlighten us more on drip, especially the cost, installation and where to get it. We can use a plot of land as a case study. God bless you.

1 Like

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by vosquare: 3:58pm On Nov 01, 2019
Wizs2019:

My people! Been awhile. So a brief update on the current cucumber season, thus far we have 260 bags from the approximately 3 plots. I give glory to God. We are hopeful of another 40 bags. We have been harvesting for over 4 weeks so the plants are starting to wilt. But omo mehn this is the most difficult planting season ever! Constant rain for weeks, really heavy downpour. It is a miracle the plants survived for this long. People associate rain with DM but I didn't have problem with DM as it only started appearing in the last week or so. The main issues were lack of bees and insects for pollination, reduced uptake of nutrients, reduced care of plants (workers cannot work in rain) and over saturation of water in soil. All issues are due to heavy sustained downpour. Then with the heavy rain comes bad road so even transporting harvest to market was a problem as well. However, one thing that was beneficial from the rain was that everyone else was also having the same issues so any goods taking to the market was sold at premium price.

The initial target of 500 bags is no longer possible, we still made more than 100% ROI so I am not complaining. God is good!

Bros Emeka, I would recommend using some fertiliser with the manure you have sourced. It will give the plants a huge boost. I am able to harvest over a 100 bags from CU999 on a plot so there is no reason why you can't also. Look at my post from a few months ago for example fertilisers you can use, amount to use and when to use. Also since our oga seems to want to become more reasonable, what was suggested is aligned with the information I provided and if he doesn't agree, he is free to comment without insults please.

Happy Sunday!
Man.. This is exactly what I'm facing also. I don't even have issues with DM but this season of rain is the season of chemical wastage. Spray the plant this morning, rain fall in the afternoon. I didn't really harvest much but we thank God. Rain helped by reducing the cost petrol usage but didn't help in the spraying aspect.. Hopefully rain will reduce or stop this coming month
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by vosquare: 4:20pm On Nov 01, 2019
Let me chip in something. With what I've noticed and practised, planting two seeds per drip emitter won't give out better result compared to a seed planted per drip emitter. Why? When you pass fertiliser through venturi, the emitter will only feed a single plant unlike planting two seeds whereby the plants have to manage the fertilizers. I learnt this when I noticed that the result I gained from planting one seed is very higher compared to two seeds per drop emitter.

For example, before I plant close to 20,000 seeds on an acre and I get roughly 300 bags but now I plant 9,000 and I get over 400 bags

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Barusho: 5:17pm On Nov 01, 2019
Pls anyone can anyone help with garden egg and green beans farming I would really appreciate.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 7:15pm On Nov 01, 2019
vosquare:
Let me chip in something. With what I've noticed and practised, planting two seeds per drip emitter won't give out better result compared to a seed planted per drip emitter. Why? When you pass fertiliser through venturi, the emitter will only feed a single plant unlike planting two seeds whereby the plants have to manage the fertilizers. I learnt this when I noticed that the result I gained from planting one seed is very higher compared to two seeds per drop emitter.

For example, before I plant close to 20,000 seeds on an acre and I get roughly 300 bags but now I plant 9,000 and I get over 400 bags
planting 20000 crop per acre will give you 3300 crops per plot,that plant density is simply too much and asking for trouble,what we have is 2and half plots and we are planning for 5000 crops on it
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 7:19pm On Nov 01, 2019
Barusho:
Pls anyone can anyone help with garden egg and green beans farming I would really appreciate.
don't expect a real farmer to have leisure to coach you, research on the crops yourself,xisit practising farmers and last check out my green garden egg thread you will learn more from that thread

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by funsoul: 11:07pm On Nov 01, 2019
dedons:
Can I contact you sir?
Pls do. You can send a message
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Nobody: 7:36am On Nov 04, 2019
ideepaul:

wow! this z quite educative! u have said it all, no wonder those experienced farmers don't do "long term harvest crops"
pls do mind to address d workability of polybags for tomato.
nd are there disease tolerant alternative varieties to cobra nd padma, a neighbour who collects my rabbit urine did experimental portions f d 2 varieties nd said market women gave a lot f negative reviews abt taste nd shape, d thing weak me sha
Which city are these women? That's why Nigeria will always not have new improved varieties of food in the market.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Nobody: 9:04am On Nov 04, 2019
ideepaul:

wow! this z quite educative! u have said it all, no wonder those experienced farmers don't do "long term harvest crops"
pls do mind to address d workability of polybags for tomato.
nd are there disease tolerant alternative varieties to cobra nd padma, a neighbour who collects my rabbit urine did experimental portions f d 2 varieties nd said market women gave a lot f negative reviews abt taste nd shape, d thing weak me sha

Bro, very correct feedback. Hehhehe. Like I said, I will just drop comments when I read any real truth and good comment. Excellent feedback. Those two cultivars like I told you are 4th - 10th grade. I know what I am saying. Please, put eat Roma, and eat those two, you will dump those cultivars. See, they dont care about W. Africa. They figure it out that we eat rotten tomato....lol. Those cultivar cannot make it to the US, Canada, or anywhere in Europe. Never. I repeat Never.

When I take my tomato to market, "dem no born dem well....they must buy and take my mobile number....na me dey hide my number". You must just look for a very good cultivar. I know what to ask seed producers to get how sour, sweet, or flavoured a cultivar is. Yeah.. it is about cross breeding.

Let me go further:
Very tough breeds which can resist terrible diseases are tasteless. So, they crossed those kind with very productive breed. High yield + terrible taste. But getting High yield + Good Taste + High Resistant is a lot of work. Deep research. You are getting it now.

Also to get 70g small fruits is very easy because those breeds with disease resistance are usual small fruits. But how do you get 150g plum (not beefstakes) with lots of fruits and then they get ripe without going bad on the vine? Real research. And not GMO. Lol. Of course GMO would be cheap and would have great characteristics.

All Technisem and all East West tomatoes for W.Africa = Ogun or Lagos tomato in mile 12. Buyers look at them and hiss when better market dey. Restaurant owners do not use them because they arent sweet. Mama Nneka who sells along the road will never buy them, she prefers rotten Roma. Lol.

EMMAACHILE:

Which city are these women? That's why Nigeria will always not have new improved varieties of food in the market.
Lol bro. You got it wrong. Those ones are not new improved cultivars. They are improved disease resistant cultivars.

Maybe I should send you some seeds when my new seeds arrive. And return to give feedback here cos I do not like trying to force people. Bros, you will dump those ones you always recommend. You will dump RZ. I am very confident. RZ has some great and nice stuff....but I know what I am saying.

If I get BHN and Hezera cultivars meant for some other regions (not for W.Africa), you too will shake head and pity W.Africa. Well, RZ is great. I know if I get hold of the parent company, I can strike better deal with them. But once there is an importer, they will always refer one to the importer if such is representing them here. I have talked about my experience with Hazera. And I gave spoken to one of the RZ guys one time. Very terrible and unconcerned person.i just "waka" away. He doesn't even understand what I wanted to do. Lol. I just left him with his own stuff. And when one of them tried to woo me on my thread, I did not do as if I know them. It was why that Tomato Jos american woman moved to Kaduna and she brings her seeds direct from BHN. I know the exact cultivar she uses. Very excellent. But that is still not my choice. But she fat it right. She is a smart woman. Very intelligent.

Even with the comments here, will seller wants to sell to Nigerians? Of course not. Just imagine. You want to buy 50g of around 16,000 seeds you can use on 1 ha to get minimum of 80 tons of sweet tomato (which they are sure if you do everything you will get it right). Check the calculation at end of this post.

40,000 naira for 1,000 seeds is just $111 seeds. Ha! Poverty na real bastard bro. Even there are mice 1,000 seeds at N15000 ($42). E no go better for poverty ooooo. Poverty craze.... no be small. Walahi.

From 1,000 seeds with 99% germination rate, and 950 survives. You perfected it and you get 6kg per plant. Of course I get up to 10kg or more. Just 950. And you space them very well. Less work, less stress, and you do pathogen soil test (not talking about nutrient test). You know exactly the right chemicals or organic to use. And you have a plan. Of course, with soil test, two farms can never have the same spraying formula. Never and never. It's like sensitivity test of antibiotics. The best tests will even show you the active ingredients to use. And almost all the most sensitive chemicals are not in Nigeria. Maybe you start getting sensitivity of like 50% here. Lol. Tell me, how you will not make it. No guess work. Poverty na bastard. Before I reach 1/4 of the procedure, NL farmer don pick race. grin

Pro farmers are not magicians. They conducts tests like doctors. NL farmers are like those local herbs sellers. They just put together different herbs....bammmmm! And they start spraying. But what if you sit down and let soil test and tissue tests guide you? Why will you fail? Why? It is almost 100% guaranteed. Only natural disaster can destroy such investment. Who born disease? Never and never.

Back to my calculation 950 plants of 6kg each will give 5.7tons. When you buy such seed, try just 10 to perfect it till get get it right, or partner with someone who knows how to grow it. That's 142 baskets over 9 - 16 weeks harvest. You must get it right. If you do not last up to that duration, harvest will reduce drastically. Meaning you need minimum of 5 months on th field. 142 baskets at N20,000 (1st grade) reported by that mile 12 guy is what? Let's even say 5 baskets dont make it to market. That's N2.7million on just 1 plot.

If you like believe me, if you like doubt me. Those doing it arent stupid. Those really perfecting their work arent foolish. Multiply that by 15 and see what the fellow is gonna have. And you are saying the seeds are expensive. Na poverty go kill you, I swear. The person who spends over N250k for soil test isnt stupid. He is not daft by using $150 to DHL it. He is not foolish by paying to the government permit to move out soil from Nigeria. And the receiving country wants to be sure what is entering too. Bo one says Nigeria should not develop to have laboratories for these tests.

So, would you do 1 plot if you want to do such? If you are the consultant in charge and you are breaking grounds for these people, and they leverage on your experience, you will charge them N20,000....right?

Ogas and madams, pray to God to bless you so you can do better project. Those doing burpless cukes and selling at N400 - N600 per kg do that the same bag you sell at N4,000 presently in mile...they sell at N16k- N24K arent stupid. They are not foolish buying 1,000 seeds at above N40,000. They are smarter than you (not talking to the two people I quoted above)

Of course your market determines what you do. Maybe I should use a portion of my garden at home to go on a pilot. But really, I am not a person who just likes posting pictures here and there, cos I dont believe in proving myself right. Even I do, 99% will still not be able to afford it. MeHn! "Poverty Mentalo yamayama". "Poverty dey mess up brains."

1 Like

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Hasib04(m): 12:52pm On Nov 04, 2019
I planted cucumber nine days ago, the leave is getting yellow what can use sir?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by tpben: 2:29pm On Nov 04, 2019
Pistotita:

Bro, very correct feedback. Hehhehe. Like I said, I will just drop comments when I read any real truth and good comment. Excellent feedback. Those two cultivars like I told you are 4th - 10th grade. I know what I am saying. Please, put eat Roma, and eat those two, you will dump those cultivars. See, they dont care about W. Africa. They figure it out that we eat rotten tomato....lol. Those cultivar cannot make it to the US, Canada, or anywhere in Europe. Never. I repeat Never.

When I take my tomato to market, "dem no born dem well....they must buy and take my mobile number....na me dey hide my number". You must just look for a very good cultivar. I know what to ask seed producers to get how sour, sweet, or flavoured a cultivar is. Yeah.. it is about cross breeding.

Let me go further:
Very tough breeds which can resist terrible diseases are tasteless. So, they crossed those kind with very productive breed. High yield + terrible taste. But getting High yield + Good Taste + High Resistant is a lot of work. Deep research. You are getting it now.

Also to get 70g small fruits is very easy because those breeds with disease resistance are usual small fruits. But how do you get 150g plum (not beefstakes) with lots of fruits and then they get ripe without going bad on the vine? Real research. And not GMO. Lol. Of course GMO would be cheap and would have great characteristics.

All Technisem and all East West tomatoes for W.Africa = Ogun or Lagos tomato in mile 12. Buyers look at them and hiss when better market dey. Restaurant owners do not use them because they arent sweet. Mama Nneka who sells along the road will never buy them, she prefers rotten Roma. Lol.

Lol bro. You got it wrong. Those ones are not new improved cultivars. They are improved disease resistant cultivars.

Maybe I should send you some seeds when my new seeds arrive. And return to give feedback here cos I do not like trying to force people. Bros, you will dump those ones you always recommend. You will dump RZ. I am very confident. RZ has some great and nice stuff....but I know what I am saying.

If I get BHN and Hezera cultivars meant for some other regions (not for W.Africa), you too will shake head and pity W.Africa. Well, RZ is great. I know if I get hold of the parent company, I can strike better deal with them. But once there is an importer, they will always refer one to the importer if such is representing them here. I have talked about my experience with Hazera. And I gave spoken to one of the RZ guys one time. Very terrible and unconcerned person.i just "waka" away. He doesn't even understand what I wanted to do. Lol. I just left him with his own stuff. And when one of them tried to woo me on my thread, I did not do as if I know them. It was why that Tomato Jos american woman moved to Kaduna and she brings her seeds direct from BHN. I know the exact cultivar she uses. Very excellent. But that is still not my choice. But she fat it right. She is a smart woman. Very intelligent.

Even with the comments here, will seller wants to sell to Nigerians? Of course not. Just imagine. You want to buy 50g of around 16,000 seeds you can use on 1 ha to get minimum of 80 tons of sweet tomato (which they are sure if you do everything you will get it right). Check the calculation at end of this post.

40,000 naira for 1,000 seeds is just $111 seeds. Ha! Poverty na real bastard bro. Even there are mice 1,000 seeds at N15000 ($42). E no go better for poverty ooooo. Poverty craze.... no be small. Walahi.

From 1,000 seeds with 99% germination rate, and 950 survives. You perfected it and you get 6kg per plant. Of course I get up to 10kg or more. Just 950. And you space them very well. Less work, less stress, and you do pathogen soil test (not talking about nutrient test). You know exactly the right chemicals or organic to use. And you have a plan. Of course, with soil test, two farms can never have the same spraying formula. Never and never. It's like sensitivity test of antibiotics. The best tests will even show you the active ingredients to use. And almost all the most sensitive chemicals are not in Nigeria. Maybe you start getting sensitivity of like 50% here. Lol. Tell me, how you will not make it. No guess work. Poverty na bastard. Before I reach 1/4 of the procedure, NL farmer don pick race. grin

Pro farmers are not magicians. They conducts tests like doctors. NL farmers are like those local herbs sellers. They just put together different herbs....bammmmm! And they start spraying. But what if you sit down and let soil test and tissue tests guide you? Why will you fail? Why? It is almost 100% guaranteed. Only natural disaster can destroy such investment. Who born disease? Never and never.

Back to my calculation 950 plants of 6kg each will give 5.7tons. When you buy such seed, try just 10 to perfect it till get get it right, or partner with someone who knows how to grow it. That's 142 baskets over 9 - 16 weeks harvest. You must get it right. If you do not last up to that duration, harvest will reduce drastically. Meaning you need minimum of 5 months on th field. 142 baskets at N20,000 (1st grade) reported by that mile 12 guy is what? Let's even say 5 baskets dont make it to market. That's N2.7million on just 1 plot.

If you like believe me, if you like doubt me. Those doing it arent stupid. Those really perfecting their work arent foolish. Multiply that by 15 and see what the fellow is gonna have. And you are saying the seeds are expensive. Na poverty go kill you, I swear. The person who spends over N250k for soil test isnt stupid. He is not daft by using $150 to DHL it. He is not foolish by paying to the government permit to move out soil from Nigeria. And the receiving country wants to be sure what is entering too. Bo one says Nigeria should not develop to have laboratories for these tests.

So, would you do 1 plot if you want to do such? If you are the consultant in charge and you are breaking grounds for these people, and they leverage on your experience, you will charge them N20,000....right?

Ogas and madams, pray to God to bless you so you can do better project. Those doing burpless cukes and selling at N400 - N600 per kg do that the same bag you sell at N4,000 presently in mile...they sell at N16k- N24K arent stupid. They are not foolish buying 1,000 seeds at above N40,000. They are smarter than you (not talking to the two people I quoted above)

Of course your market determines what you do. Maybe I should use a portion of my garden at home to go on a pilot. But really, I am not a person who just likes posting pictures here and there, cos I dont believe in proving myself right. Even I do, 99% will still not be able to afford it. MeHn! "Poverty Mentalo yamayama". "Poverty dey mess up brains."

DHL people are charging me 37,120 to get seeds from kenya that's not up to 750g

That's 70% of actual amount of the seed.

Am feeling that they are overcharging

Is their any other option
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Nobody: 2:45pm On Nov 04, 2019
Hasib04:
I planted cucumber nine days ago, the leave is getting yellow what can use sir?

What variety, did you treat the soil, with Fertilizer or manure or both before planting
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Nobody: 5:12pm On Nov 04, 2019
tpben:

If you are sending ordinary A4 letter, that's the price. And if it is heavier than 1kg, you start paying more. But what kind of seed are you look for in Kenya. Africa is Africa to me. Why? Anyway, you know what you are looking for. Kenya is over hyped to me.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by ideepaul: 7:37pm On Nov 04, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

akwa ibom people are very demanding when it comes to traditional taste and shapes. they may be forgiving when there z high demand, but when alternatives presents itself, u go suffer!
all dz cu999 nd d rest dt don't have local taste and shape are bought pitifully.
if ur ugu(fluted pumpkin) z grown mainly on fertilizers, pray we don't knw, as people go jst shun ur goods. only food items brought mainly from other states without alternatives are exempt....
high yield and disease resistance should ideally not substitute good taste and quality though
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by ideepaul: 7:54pm On Nov 04, 2019
Pistotita:

Let me go further:

getting high quality seeds nd agro input in this country z hard and getting them in d south south z almost impossible at times. getting info from state ministries of agric nd related agencies on quality inputs z jst a waste of time as they are nw referral agencies! jst because 1need 2 trial 20 stands of any crop, I will need 2 buy 50-100 grams of seeds as d 1 nd 5g packs are rarely found...d input from everyone on nairaland z priceless and highly valuable. God bless of u!
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by ideepaul: 7:58pm On Nov 04, 2019
tpben:

it is easier to import from Asia nd other continents than within Africa! I jst hope things will get better
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Nobody: 8:33pm On Nov 04, 2019
ideepaul:

akwa ibom people are very demanding when it comes to traditional taste and shapes. they may be forgiving when there z high demand, but when alternatives presents itself, u go suffer!
all dz cu999 nd d rest dt don't have local taste and shape are bought pitifully.
if ur ugu(fluted pumpkin) z grown mainly on fertilizers, pray we don't knw, as people go jst shun ur goods. only food items brought mainly from other states without alternatives are exempt....
high yield and disease resistance should ideally not substitute good taste and quality though
Are you saying the taste of the Hausa Roma variety is better than the hybrids? I doubt that. The people are just not use to change and not taste as you just said.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by ideepaul: 9:15pm On Nov 04, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

Are you saying the taste of the Hausa Roma variety is better than the hybrids? I doubt that. The people are just not use to change and not taste as you just said.
I am nt an expert in d criterion market women use in goods selection bt trust me, they can screen goods for d best possible deals, don't knw abt Roma, but I knw they don't have issues issues with hybrids if it meets their specz!
I saw one extremely pungent red pepper early dz year dt was retailed @ 500 4 d avg #100 quantity for d normal peppers. the woman admitted it z nt a local variety.I learnt she pays 50% extra jst to monopolize access 2 d source she guards so secretly.
the key word for them z quality and market appeal
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Nobody: 4:41am On Nov 05, 2019
ideepaul:

getting high quality seeds nd agro input in this country z hard and getting them in d south south z almost impossible at times . getting info from state ministries of agric nd related agencies on quality inputs z jst a waste of time as they are nw referral agencies! jst because 1need 2 trial 20 stands of any crop, I will need 2 buy 50-100 grams of seeds as d 1 nd 5g packs are rarely found...d input from everyone on nairaland z priceless and highly valuable. God bless of u!
1. Getting seeds to South South is easy. There are many seeds we cross border to get to Cotonou or Togo to get from Lagos. Calarbar is sharing border with Caneroon. I have people there. My point is that we face the same challenge no matter where we live. I buy seeds from Kano, and what stops you from doing so? The challenge you have is not where to buy, but what to buy? When you know what to buy, and you can guess what you are getting from it, you will buy it..

2. State and FG departments/ministries: My opinion is that you can still learn from them. There are genius people there. Do not close your eyes completely. The challenge is that you must equip yourself too. When you.start speaking at a certain level, they listen and give you what you need. For example, I know many professors who speak with me. And my first encounter always makes the difference. They always want to talk to me after every first encounter. Let wisdom and knowledge come out from you, and they will start releasing deep secrets and connect you. My brother, Nigerians do not want to do much for themselves again. They just want to copy someone else. They will not listen to you. I know the kind of help I have got from FUNAAB, IITA, NIHORT, etc. These guys have links with professors abroad. I know what I have got bro. I got the managing director of Hazera'?s office in the US through a doctor in NIHORT. And that door that was opened was so magnificent.

3. Trials:
Buying 50 grams because you want to use 20 stands. My brother, I got to the stage that I bought 50 seeds for $500. Oh yeah! The package comes with what is more than $10,000 in terms of help and info. Most of my.serds that I dont use again, I gave them out on nairaland. Even till date, I still give out seeds. Someone got 1400 burpless cucumber seeds and I gave him 600 seeds extra. In addition I gave I gave him about 1,000 tomato seeds and 2,000 (not sure) sweet pepper seeds. That is over N100,000 I gave him. Why? I saw something in him. He is on NL.

My recommendation
Perfect a crop. Let that crop give you very good cash flow. Start getting reasonable income before you launch into it. If its cucumber you can perfect do it, and start making money. Use part of the money to develop yourself. This is my suggestion. I also started from slicing cukes. I grew Tokyo cukes from Technisem very well in those days.

Most seed companies do not sell in grams or oz these days. Except you want to buy in bulk. Or you are a regular customer.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Nobody: 4:57am On Nov 05, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

Are you sure bro? You may need to try it out yourself. So, you still do not believe that Roma is the standard plum tomato all over the world? That is the standard sir. All other plums are from Roma. There is no where it is not accepted. Go and try cobra or padma....eat them raw and return here. Do not go for rotten tomato. Eat them raw and fresh from the plants.

I do not want to start posting papers here because I want to disprove your doubt. Also, I do not want to start saying negative about any company, but Roma is the standard. However, when you can make your tomato sweeter than Roma, you will definitely gain market acceptance easily.

Even most farmers get 30g to 60g of these varieties. Roma too is around that but it has the capacity to get bigger. The only challenge is that it yields lesser and with less disease tolerance. Roma is of different grades too.

Bro, I cannot use Roma. Do not mus understand me. And I know that it us likely to make it easily with those hybrids than Roma. But my point is that sellers will not like you. They will not make you their first choice supplier. And that is bad for business. They just sell your products anyhow in mile 12. Rio Grande is another nice OPV. But I cannot use it too for commercial farming. Its suicide mission. But I prefer using it to those hybrids.

Bro. The first plum is San Marzano which great chefs love. The most common plum all over the world that was first commercialized is Roma. And that is the standard every plum producer uses as bench mark. You should check it out. I do not like how you call it hausa Roma. It may not even be Roma you buy. It may be UCB 28, Tropimech or whatever in the market. Tey to grow Roma and eat it. And compare with those hybrids.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Nobody: 5:32am On Nov 05, 2019
@Pistotita

The best the hausas sell is the Roma type and known in my area as Hausa or Derica tomatoes.

There are very good alternatives to this Roma tomato. East west has the diva f1 (Roma lowland variety) with very good output and nice resistances. If anyone wants to maximize his return, never follow our local farmers because you will struggle to find your feet. For example, using this diva f1, will definitely give you a greater advantage as it can grown all time with very good resistance where others will fail and it's a Roma variety.
Some of these seed companies take the popular variety with in a country and develop them to get better hybrids with similar taste and characteristics.

I will always prefer a better yield and less water tomato to all these sold here.

1 Like

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by ANOCETS: 5:39am On Nov 05, 2019
Please I need seed recommendations for
Atarodo , bawa and tattasai
Thanks
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by lordkings1: 5:46am On Nov 05, 2019
Pistotita:

1. Getting seeds to South South is easy. There are many seeds we cross border to get to Cotonou or Togo to get from Lagos. Calarbar is sharing border with Caneroon. I have people there. My point is that we face the same challenge no matter where we live. I buy seeds from Kano, and what stops you from doing so? The challenge you have is not where to buy, but what to buy? When you know what to buy, and you can guess what you are getting from it, you will buy it..

2. State and FG departments/ministries: My opinion is that you can still learn from them. There are genius people there. Do not close your eyes completely. The challenge is that you must equip yourself too. When you.start speaking at a certain level, they listen and give you what you need. For example, I know many professors who speak with me. And my first encounter always makes the difference. They always want to talk to me after every first encounter. Let wisdom and knowledge come out from you, and they will start releasing deep secrets and connect you. My brother, Nigerians do not want to do much for themselves again. They just want to copy someone else. They will not listen to you. I know the kind of help I have got from FUNAAB, IITA, NIHORT, etc. These guys have links with professors abroad. I know what I have got bro. I got the managing director of Hazera'?s office in the US through a doctor in NIHORT. And that door that was opened was so magnificent.

3. Trials:
Buying 50 grams because you want to use 20 stands. My brother, I got to the stage that I bought 50 seeds for $500. Oh yeah! The package comes with what is more than $10,000 in terms of help and info. Most of my.serds that I dont use again, I gave them out on nairaland. Even till date, I still give out seeds. Someone got 1400 burpless cucumber seeds and I gave him 600 seeds extra. In addition I gave I gave him about 1,000 tomato seeds and 2,000 (not sure) sweet pepper seeds. That is over N100,000 I gave him. Why? I saw something in him. He is on NL.

My recommendation
Perfect a crop. Let that crop give you very good cash flow. Start getting reasonable income before you launch into it. If its cucumber you can perfect do it, and start making money. Use part of the money to develop yourself. This is my suggestion. I also started from slicing cukes. I grew Tokyo cukes from Technisem very well in those days.

Most seed companies do not sell in grams or oz these days. Except you want to buy in bulk. Or you are a regular customer.
Oga Pistotita, please from your experience, which is better between Tokyo and Murano cucumber sir? Good morning boss!
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Nobody: 8:19am On Nov 05, 2019
EMMAACHILE:
@Pistotita

The best the hausas sell is the Roma type and known in my area as Hausa or Derica tomatoes.

There are very good alternatives to this Roma tomato. East west has the diva f1 (Roma lowland variety) with very good output and nice resistances. If anyone wants to maximize his return, never follow our local farmers because you will struggle to find your feet. For example, using this diva f1, will definitely give you a greater advantage as it can grown all time with very good resistance where others will fail and it's a Roma variety.
Some of these seed companies take the popular variety with in a country and develop them to get better hybrids with similar taste and characteristics.

I will always prefer a better yield and less water tomato to all these sold here .

My oga, you are talking sense. Like I said, East West is not bad. Hope you understand me. You are talking. In fact, you think like me in some areas. I wrote about a review on my thread about East West, and I think I was not fair. I have been corrected. And I will adjust it..Generally, I am not just impressed with what they bring to W. Africa. But I think I understand better now. Farmers will not buy their good brands. And they will not want to sell OPVs. They just figured out that we need to deal with BW and some disease, and they moved down the cheapest option. Lol.

Ok. Roma is all about paste. So, Derica will.most likely love it. Hope you get me. But I am not sure the ones they planted is actually Derica but can be. Hope you get me. But its plum.

Another issue I want you to know is that paste companies do not care about the taste. They are going to add sause to it and can it. Lol. So, the brix level is non issue to them. When you know these issues, you will make very good decision.

Naturally, I feel.that fresh buyers here should not consider taste since we use tomato as stew and soup, and we add sause to it. But I realised that we dont eat beefstakes and cherry. Plum is all what we eat. We cut plum in sandwiches which is not the best. There are tomatoes which tastes like pineapple.

Tomato Diva F1. You are now talking. You know that I said they bring nonsense to W.Africa. I never said the company is not good. It is, but what they bring to W.Agrica is nonsense as far as I am concerned like I mentioned earlier. Padma and Platinum are what they promote. But Roma is Roma. Diva is another improved Roma. I told you earlier that Roma has different forms these days. I dont even understand what they mean by lowland variety. Lol. Anyway, it is very likely it has zero resistance to bacteria wilt. Please, could you confirm this? And also find out if it has any form of resistance to yellow spots bacteria and blight (early and late). I doubt it sir. If it does not have any above there, and it's just with high yield, of what benefit is it to me that I will not choose ordinary Roma? Ok ....maybe it is sweeter. Yeah....maybe.

My brother, look at the bolded part. You want less water because it is not Roma that is sold in your place. Buy Roma VFN and return to give review. How can Roma be watery? Of course not. Those varieties there are not Roma. I know what I'm saying sir. Not everything from Hausa is Roma.

If Diva has tolerance to the diseases I mentioned above, I will give it a trial. But I doubt it sir.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Nobody: 8:44am On Nov 05, 2019
lordkings1:
Oga Pistotita, please from your experience, which is better between Tokyo and Murano cucumber sir? Good morning boss!
Everyone has his/her preference. One issue about murano is that no matter how downy mildew bombard it, you see it still struggling. And its fruits are longer. Tokyo is with higher DM resistance according to them, which I think so too. But murano still produces more..Murano is a beast in terms of female flowers production. Murano has the same flowering pattern with Monalisa of East West. And you can never compare the two. I personally prefer Murano any day, anytime, anywhere. But I know quite a number of experienced farmers who prefer Tokyo. Also, murano fills bag will lesser fruits than all of them with the exception of Cu999.

My brother, both are ok in my opinion. But you may benefit more from Murano. See, the earlier you go to market and the more bags you have, the better it is for you. Murano is 40 days while Tokyo is 55 days. Murano is 400 - 450g fruit, while Tokyo is 380 - 400 g fruits. If you get 450g Tokyo? It is going to be yellow and fat. I'm.tslking from experience. Put this info o table and meditate on it.
1. If you think your plants will stay long enough on farm, and you gat downy mildew under control, Tokyo is a very good one. It can continue producing for many weeks. And you cultivate do murano too. In fact, you will harvest and get tired with murano.

2. If you know that you are really in hurry to go to market fast and you want more bags from each harvest, but you can fight DM very well, go for Murano..

3. If you know that DM is crazy, and it comes very early in your previous production in the same location you want to use, go for murano if you cannot control it. Why? Despite Tokyo has higher resistance, you would have gone to market two times before you start going to market with Tokyo.

4. If DM comes late, go for Tokyo do you can have prolonged harvest which will give you more yield.

I have tested most of these cultivars and I can tell you the difference.

Bless you bro.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by ANOCETS: 8:56am On Nov 05, 2019
Pistotita:

Everyone has his/her preference. One issue about murano is that no matter how downy mildew bombard it, you see it still struggling. And its fruits are longer. Tokyo is with higher DM resistance according to them, which I think so too. But murano still produces more..Murano is a beast in terms of female flowers production. Murano has the same flowering pattern with Monalisa of East West. And you can never compare the two. I personally prefer Murano any day, anytime, anywhere. But I know quite a number of experienced farmers who prefer Tokyo. Also, murano fills bag will lesser fruits than all of them with the exception of Cu999.

My brother, both are ok in my opinion. But you may benefit more from Murano. See, the earlier you go to market and the more bags you have, the better it is for you. Murano is 40 days while Tokyo is 55 days. Murano is 400 - 450g fruit, while Tokyo is 380 - 400 g fruits. If you get 450g Tokyo? It is going to be yellow and fat. I'm.tslking from experience. Put this info o table and meditate on it.
1. If you think your plants will stay long enough on farm, and you gat downy mildew under control, Tokyo is a very good one. It can continue producing for many weeks. And you cultivate do murano too. In fact, you will harvest and get tired with murano.

2. If you know that you are really in hurry to go to market fast and you want more bags from each harvest, but you can fight DM very well, go for Murano..

3. If you know that DM is crazy, and it comes very early in your previous production in the same location you want to use, go for murano if you cannot control it. Why? Despite Tokyo has higher resistance, you would have gone to market two times before you start going to market with Tokyo.

4. If DM comes late, go for Tokyo do you can have prolonged harvest which will give you more yield.

Bless you bro.

Thanks for the break down
Others your input is welcome
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by okoroemeka(m): 8:57am On Nov 05, 2019
all these tomato analysis don dey do me longer throat,pls my ogas which time is perfect to plant and target may-july market and which variety is good,I think time has come for us to face our nemesis.
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by ANOCETS: 11:23am On Nov 05, 2019
Anyone with a preview of stalking net for cucumber..
Is it cost effective?
How many planting cycle can it grow?
Re: 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. by Nobody: 11:26am On Nov 05, 2019
Pistotita:

Bless you bro.
Do you have any experience with this DIY soil test kit?? If yes, is it reliable??

I dont want to bombard the soil based on recommendations or with just any fertiliser.. I want to try as much as possible to avoid the word "sorry" on my investment

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (127) (Reply)

The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / ... / Xmas Broiler Broading In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 208
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.