Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,361 members, 7,815,774 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:05 PM

Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver (68175 Views)

Nigerian Woman Returns N38m Chinese Company Mistakenly Sent To Her Bank Account / Couple Donate N1m To Man Who Lost His Business To Onitsha Fire (photos / Man Who Returned N600,000 Mistakenly Sent To Him Now In Trouble (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by fakati(m): 9:46pm On Nov 17, 2018
Going by the whole story the op mess things up big time before this time you could have got this guy through another person in need of Uber ride hence his line is still going through well, God on your side I pray you get your money back
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Ranchhoddas: 9:47pm On Nov 17, 2018
stagger:

You are stupid!

Was Uber around when the careless OP sent a whole 1M to another account without bothering to cross-check the details of the account? Uber's only liabilty here is the inflation of the amount for the fare. Uber only gets involved if the police obtain a court order asking them to release the driver's details to them.

In case you do not know, the details of the drivers working with Uber is confidential information (covered by privacy laws) which cannot be released to just anyone. Even the OP has no authorization to get the driver's details. These can only be released to the police via a court order authorizing this.

There are processes which must be followed and these are standard all over the world. Since you are too dense to know this, I have decided to educate you.
You are a clown!

How many times have we seen stories on the front page of companies taking credit when their staff return lost money to people.

Honestly you are clueless. The only reason he is in this problem is because he made an error in transaction with a DISHONEST UBER EMPLOYEE.
In a sane society, a public lawsuit to the effect that Uber drivers are not trustworthy will be all he needs to force Uber to cough out the one million.

As long as he can prove that the transaction happened, it is the company that would be pleading to avoid the publicity of a potentially toxic lawsuit. Lawyers would be knocking on his door for a case like this. All they would need to do is prove that the company was negligent and they would find themselves having to pay even more than one million.

In fact Uber has had a problem like this not long ago: Their co-founder and CEO Travis Kalanick along with senior execs were accused of creating a toxic work environment (very vague claims).
When the publicity became too negative they all had to resign.
Google is your friend!

The problem with people like you is that you don't know how the organized world works.
Your minds are stuck in the Third World.

Imagine the oaf saying Uber has no business with him.

Shioor!!!

#modified:

If the OP can get one or two famous handles to tweet his case, it is even Uber headquarters in America that would take it up. You think say fraud na wetin oyinbo people take dey play?

Once again. You are clueless.

11 Likes

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by bunmiano: 9:47pm On Nov 17, 2018
seedsower:
Sorry sir, Please do not add recipients to as beneficiaries, unless you staff, steady business partners or your other accounts.

Thanks bro
I learnt this today

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by freeman67: 9:48pm On Nov 17, 2018
It took you too long to act.

First of all I will say the driver looks like someone that won't be willing to return a money mistakenly paid to his account though we are told never to judge a book by it's cover.

What I feel you should have done was to go and complain to your bank immediately it happened and have them place a lien on his account. That way it is through the bank that he would have been contacted. If he doesn't want to yield, his inability to transact with his account would have forced him to resolve it.

Now that you have contacted him before even talking to the bank, the possibility of that money being intact in the account is no longer there...

For Uber though as a company there are not supposed to act in anyway that will make it seem they are supporting crime or criminals as it would dent their reputation. However, the account you transferred the money to is for the driver and not Uber as company so eventually there may not be able to do much..

Where you would have gotten help with any information you able to obtain eventually from Uber would have been through the police but hey, this is Nigeria and you already been given a price to pay which may not even be the total amount you will pay... It now dicey as everyone that hear about will want to get a share of it.

However if your bank is dragging leg you may mail them with evidence copy CBN and EFCC and it doesn't work as fast as you want, you may eventually have to sacrifice for the police or Lawyer to get the chance of it back.
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Nobody: 9:48pm On Nov 17, 2018
Naijalastson:
Report him to EFCC for obtaining by false pretence and I can assure you your money will be recovered for you
Obtaining by false pretense How na? D guy was on his own and op transfered 1m to him. He can argue the 1m is for 5 years Uber charge. undecided
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Yankiss(m): 9:49pm On Nov 17, 2018
Sankabson:
wow! This is serious! 1m for Buhari time
I wonder how someone will mistakenly and carelessly transfer that kind of money in today"s Nigeria. Was the person under jazz or blindfolded? What happened to name verification?

1 Like

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Burgerlomo: 9:49pm On Nov 17, 2018
bunmiano:
I've been a member of Nairaland since 2012 and I'm very frequent with the business section.

I have a very serious issue that has been a pain on my neck and I will try as much as I can to summarize everything

I sent a sum of N1m to a Uber taxi driver's account number on the 20th October, 2018. This money was a part payment bill for one of my family members who is battling with a life-threatening health issues. That happened about 4 weeks ago.

This is how the whole thing happened

A friend of mine paid me a courtesy visit and when he was about leaving, I used my rider app to request a ride for him and the driver came and took him to his destination. He told my friend the estimated cost of the fare was N4,800 but my friend didn't even bother to check because he felt he probably would not lie about it.

My friend called and told me the fare was N4,800 and I requested for the Uber taxi driver's account number after which I made the payment. The next day (20th October), I needed to make a transaction of N1m to someone for a part payment bill of my family member's treatment oblivious of the fact that I actually made the payment to the Uber taxi driver's account number. This was because I added him in my beneficiary when I wanted to make the payment.

I went to the rider app to get his contact, only for me to realize he actually inflated the fare from N3,400 to N4,800 which I literally paid for. You can see he's not an honest person but I wasn't really bothered about that.

I called and pleaded to him to refund the 1m I sent to his account. At first, he acted as if he didn't receive any money but after series of calls, he later confirmed it. I sent my account details to him and he promised to refund me on Monday as it was weekend.

Monday came and the dude started acting funny. He would pick my calls and remain silent. There were times he gave the phone to a lady to talk to me. Sometimes he yelled at me to stop disturbing him, and a point, he even stopped picking my calls

I mailed Uber and narrated everything that transpired. They responded requesting for evidence to back up my claim which I provided. I took screenshots of the first (inflated fare) and second payment and attached it to my massage. They responded telling me I should exercise patience and that they will look into my issue

It's been 4 weeks now and Uber has been lackadaisical towards this issue. I have messaged them several times and they seem to be less concerned about it.
With the way Uber has been acting towards this issue, one could conclude that they're trying to cover up this guy. Someone that can easily call and resolve this issue.

They have just been acting like they're more concerned about their own pockets than customer's satisfaction. I expect them to have taken up the issue for properly investigation despite providing solid evidence.

Please everyone! I have tried and I'm already fed up. Their customer care is my last resort but they have been nonchalant despite knowing the name, vehicle type, and license plate number of someone working for them. Even the Uber driver in question has failed to refund the money and has been avoiding me.

I went to the bank recently and his account has been frozen but I haven't been able to get my money

This country is just messed up. Even the police aren't helping matters. They are demanding their own share of about 150k

Mods please help my situation by pushing this to the front page

Below are the screenshots of everything

Sue Uber and that motherfucker cool
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Nobody: 9:50pm On Nov 17, 2018
donmeks123:
Pls don't relax that guy is a criminal, go to his bank with ur evidence and complain let them restrict him from that account, and for uber is very simple there is no point writing them just go to their office at Maryland mall at ikorodu road and complain to them they will track him down if he is still on the road.

Nice talk
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by AngelicBeing: 9:51pm On Nov 17, 2018
KOPT33:
Sorry.
Lol, the guy should be in Abidjan by now, Lagos / Seme border / Cotonou / Lome / Ghana.....and finally Ivory Coast grin
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by GIFTD: 9:51pm On Nov 17, 2018
SixDividedByTwo:

good man who's refusing to return someone's money ...and for over a month now? you must be very silly for this comment

bunmiano:
I've been a member of Nairaland since 2012 and I'm very frequent with the business section.

I have a very serious issue that has been a pain on my neck and I will try as much as I can to summarize everything

I sent a sum of N1m to a Uber taxi driver's account number on the 20th October, 2018. This money was a part payment bill for one of my family members who is battling with a life-threatening health issues. That happened about 4 weeks ago.

A friend of mine paid me a courtesy visit and when he was about leaving, I used my rider app to request a ride for him and the driver came and took him to his destination. He told my friend the estimated cost of the fare was N4,800 but my friend didn't even bother to check because he felt he probably would not lie about it.

My friend called and told me the fare was N4,800 and I requested for the Uber taxi driver's account number after which I made the payment. The next day (20th October), I needed to make a transaction of N1m to someone for a part payment bill of my family member's treatment oblivious of the fact that I actually made the payment to the Uber taxi driver's account number. This was because I added him in my beneficiary when I wanted to make the payment.

I went to the rider app to get his contact, only for me to realize he actually inflated the fare from N3,400 to N4,800 which I literally paid for. You can see he's not an honest person but I wasn't really bothered about that.

I called and pleaded to him to refund the 1m I sent to his account. At first, he acted as if he didn't receive any money but after series of calls, he later confirmed it. I sent my account details to him and he promised to refund me on Monday as it was weekend.

Monday came and the dude started acting funny. He would pick my calls and remain silent. There were times he gave the phone to a lady to talk to me. Sometimes he yelled at me to stop disturbing him, and a point, he even stopped picking my calls

I mailed Uber and narrated everything that transpired. They responded requesting for evidence to back up my claim which I provided. I took screenshots of the first (inflated fare) and second payment and attached it to my massage. They responded telling me I should exercise patience and that they will look into my issue

It's been 4 weeks now and Uber has been lackadaisical towards this issue. I have messaged them several times and they seem to be less concerned about it.
With the way Uber has been acting towards this issue, one could conclude that they're trying to cover up this guy. Someone that can easily call and resolve this issue.

They have just been acting like they're more concerned about their own pockets than customer's satisfaction. I expect them to have taken up the issue for properly investigation despite providing solid evidence.

Please everyone! I have tried and I'm already fed up. Their customer care is my last resort but they have been nonchalant despite knowing the name, vehicle type, and license plate number of someone working for them. Even the Uber driver in question has failed to refund the money and has been avoiding me.

I went to the bank recently and his account has been frozen but I haven't been able to get my money

This country is just messed up. Even the police aren't helping matters. They are demanding their own share of about 150k

I want to believe that if he had handled that matter intelligible at first he could have recovered that money by now..he must have spoiled things with anger b/c he felt cheated in the previous transaction with the suspect. Thanks
SixDividedByTwo:

good man who's refusing to return someone's money ...and for over a month now? you must be very silly for this comment

SixDividedByTwo:
his girlfriend he told also must have asked him to keep the money tha she will handle the matter that's why he gives her the phone whenever op call..

SixDividedByTwo:

SixDividedByTwo:

SixDividedByTwo:

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Nobody: 9:52pm On Nov 17, 2018
AngelicBeing:
Lol, the guy should be in Abidjan by now, Lagos / Seme border / Cotonou / Lome / Ghana.....and finally Ivory Coast grin

1M in this season and time. Lol

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by bujebudanu1(m): 9:52pm On Nov 17, 2018
Excelboi:
You can institute an action in court to recover your money and even claim damages sef. Let me know if you are ready.

Pls have an issue ,I would like to make enquiry if it's worth making a case
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by ceeceeuwa: 9:52pm On Nov 17, 2018
Issues like this makes me really sad! Is it so difficult to get an honest individual these days?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by frozen70(f): 9:53pm On Nov 17, 2018
So sorry for the mix up

Go to uber office and get things sorted out your self

Since the guy account has been freezed, uber might have gotten authorisation to freeze the account while efforts are being made to retrieve your money

Lastly if police have demanded for such amount, well give it to them and collect your balance

It's still better than loosing all
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by maestroferddi: 9:55pm On Nov 17, 2018
dangoteinlaw:
grin this is why I'm afraid to leave Nairaland, too many billionaires dey here. In this hard time it is till hard to believe someone have much money that he even sound more calm talking about the lost 1m... Proverty is a bitch sha lol
Make I follow you laff, my brother...

Many Sultans of Brunei on this platform... lol..

1 Like

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Evercurious(f): 9:56pm On Nov 17, 2018
bunmiano:

Op, firstly it's called 'an errorenous transfer' and it's treated by asking your bank for a 'RECALL OF FUNDS'.
But I must say you found out quiet late and you weren't proactive.. You wld ve called the beneficiary's (uber driver's) bank immediately and a lien wld ve been placed on the N1m while you call your bank requesting for a recall of funds pending when you get to your bank to submit a formal request for a recall of funds..

Freezing his account isn't the issue here.. Is the N1m still in the account? Or you just ended up freezing an empty account?.. Sorry to say you acted so naive by trusting the driver to refund the money. You wasted so much time and we all know Cotonou isn't that far from Lagos.. Let's just hope he is still in Nigeria cos I trust my brothers :No slacking.

However if the funds re still in the account, go to your bank and do a recall of funds.. You might need to get a good account officer to follow up that request since the beneficiary is not willing to give a consent to the release of the funds.. Asking you to do a follow up ll be as good as impossible. We all know you are not proactive. No offence intended

But if the funds are no longer in his account, you might ve to get a lawyer to help out in this...

Trust me, this ll definitely work... I just did same for a friend. Although hers was N500k

Goodluck

5 Likes

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by AngelicBeing: 9:58pm On Nov 17, 2018
KOPT33:

Chukwudi will never ride Uber again! Never ever.
You think that 1million is enough for him to disappear from Nigeria grin shocked

1 Like

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by OgogoroFreak(m): 9:59pm On Nov 17, 2018
ekanDamie:

So if you were a dubuios person will us still be riding the uber or thinking how to divert the cash and run
It's just ₦1m bro not $1m.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by murphyrichy(m): 9:59pm On Nov 17, 2018
Sorry, What a costly mistake..I hope you recovers your money soon.
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by mikeogb: 10:01pm On Nov 17, 2018
bunmiano:

Bro I feel your pain..same tin happened to me,though a lesser amount..u wud have called d beneficiary contact center and the said amount would be held for 48hours pending when you get court order to extend d timeline...am sure the guy would have drawn down but not to worry..go to the beneficiary bank with all your evidence..if your claim is true..all the bank need do is to place some kind of memo that will alert any teller to inform security whenever this guy steps into the banking hall to transact...pele
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by stagger: 10:03pm On Nov 17, 2018
Ranchhoddas:
You are a clown!

How many times have we seen stories on the front page of companies taking credit when their staff return lost money to people.

Honestly you are clueless. The only reason he is in this problem is because he made an error in transaction with a DISHONEST UBER EMPLOYEE.
In a sane society, a public lawsuit to the effect that Uber drivers are not trustworthy will be all he needs to force Uber to cough out the one million.

As long as he can prove that the transaction happened, it is the company that would be pleading to avoid the publicity of a potentially toxic lawsuit. Lawyers would be knocking on his door for a case like this. All they would need to do is prove that the company was negligent and they would find themselves having to pay even more than one million.

In fact Uber has had a problem like this not long ago: Their co-founder and CEO Travis Kalanick along with senior execs were accused of creating a toxic work environment (very vague claims).
When the publicity became too negative they all had to resign.
Google is your friend!

The problem with people like you is that you don't know how the organized world works.
Your minds are stuck in the Third World.

Imagine the oaf saying Uber has no business with him.

Shioor!!!

#modified:

If the OP can get one or two famous handles to tweet his case, it is even Uber headquarters in America that would take it up. You think say fraud na wetin oyinbo people take dey play?

Once again. You are clueless.

Oya, you that has clues, help him get Uber to recover his money. Ewu!

You are talking as if you are in the US, or as if the OP lost his money in Europe. This is Naija.The OP can NEVER get his money by going to Uber. His delay in even going the Uber route has already proven costly. You are still talking of a hypothetical situation which can NEVER work in this environment.

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by jrobbins: 10:04pm On Nov 17, 2018
maestroferddi:

Your posts irks of ignorance.

I've been a C.O and in F.T unit of a bank.

What's 1 million for Christ's sake
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by eyoniggar(m): 10:06pm On Nov 17, 2018
First off, this guy might be a yahoo boy, am sorry though about the error in transfer amount, but if he was to charge you 4,800 or 3,800 woeva like you said, how did you make such a silly mistake by typing 1,000,000 in digits instead of a simple 3,800 or 4,800, the error there says it all, that u were either high on codeine or ref, or you probably think you were transferring your guys cut of the money from that biz,unfortunately went to the uber driver looking like Hassan Spencer, that dude go don spend 435k inside that money before bank and police or court woeva steps in.
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by maestroferddi: 10:07pm On Nov 17, 2018
islandmoon:

babe, the OP is the criminal, if you study his account very well, you will know, he should be arrested first! and his case refer to efcc

with little investigation I did on here , on his account, he seemed to belong to the syndicate of the guy that transferred 30 million from a company account to a lady account pretending to be a mistake and later gave the lady 100,000 Naira and the lady was later arrested but the guy was no where to be found.. I read the story on here some days back, check OP previous post! you will know the kind of person OP is

this is OP previous post below

......................................................................................................................................................
https://www.nairaland.com/3999860/sell-amazon-gift-card-all#59640759

Amazon card needed

Brazil
China
France
Italy
Japan
Mexico
Spain
Germany
India
Canada

Instant payment
All denomination

Bulk preferred

.................................................................................................................

what kind of person does that ? I suspected they wanted to use the Uber man account to launder fraud money and the guy showed them igbo sense! they should both be arrested , both the OP and the Uber Driver.
I hope the silly girls who have been talking nonsense on this thread can read what you wrote up there...

I didn't need to think hard to figure out the sundry holes in the narrative he was trying to sell...

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Evercurious(f): 10:10pm On Nov 17, 2018
maestroferddi:
See this financial illiterate o..

You don't even know what is meant by "limit"..

Account officer is now CBN...

Maybe your yahoo yahoo account officer sets ATM daily withdrawable limits...

YOUNGMAN, TRANSFER LIMITS CAN BE INCREASED OF DECREASED... IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE ACCOUNT HOLDER..
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Nobody: 10:10pm On Nov 17, 2018
op your mistake was avoidable, did you get yourself drunk that day?

moreover what took you so long not to have taken a proactive measure to get back your money, rather you started calling him to beg while you were supposed to have reported to your bank and his bank without getting him notified

take heart, you will almost spend up to OR more than half of the money before you actually recover your money back, that's if you succeed in getting it back though

because I 'm still skeptical if the guy is still in Nigeria or even if he is he might have Squandered a huge some of your money which he might not be able to refund
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by maestroferddi: 10:12pm On Nov 17, 2018
jrobbins:

Your posts irks of ignorance.

I've been a C.O and in F.T unit of a bank.

What's 1 million for Christ's sake
You are not getting it..

No-one other than a fraudster would flimsily wire out one million...

The Mobile App prompts users to double-check the authenticity of beneficiaries...

You are missing the point...

1 Like

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by bunmiano: 10:13pm On Nov 17, 2018
Yuletide25:
op your mistake was avoidable, did you get yourself drunk that day?

moreover what took you so long not to have taken a proactive measure to get back your money, rather you started calling him to beg while you were supposed to have reported to your bank and his bank without getting him notified

take heart, you will almost spend up to OR more than half of the money before you actually recover your money back, that's if you succeed in getting it back though

because I skeptical if the guy is still in Nigeria or even if he is he might have Squandered a huge some of your money which he might not be able to refund
That's what I'm trying to avoid bro.. About 30%-40% of the money would be gone.. You should know Nigerian police
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by maestroferddi: 10:16pm On Nov 17, 2018
Evercurious:

YOUNGMAN, TRANSFER LIMITS CAN BE INCREASED OF DECREASED... IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE ACCOUNT HOLDER..
Transfer limits are under the purvey of CBN...

Some banks who are adjusting it inexorably might be indulging in sharp practises...
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by bunmiano: 10:17pm On Nov 17, 2018
eyoniggar:
First off, this guy might be a yahoo boy, am sorry though about the error in transfer amount, but if he was to charge you 4,800 or 3,800 woeva like you said, how did you make such a silly mistake by typing 1,000,000 in digits instead of a simple 3,800 or 4,800, the error there says it all, that u were either high on codeine or ref, or you probably think you were transferring your guys cut of the money from that biz,unfortunately went to the uber driver looking like Hassan Spencer, that dude go don spend 435k inside that money before bank and police or court woeva steps in.
After trying to explain everything with evidences, you're still laying accusing fingers
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Jayslyder: 10:18pm On Nov 17, 2018
I'd advice u to locate a major branch of uber around u. .I think a face to face confrontation with them will hasten things up. .further more contact your bank and explain to them
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Anextin(f): 10:20pm On Nov 17, 2018
[quote author=eyoniggar post=73066030]First off, this guy might be a yahoo boy, am sorry though about the error in transfer amount, but if he was to charge you 4,800 or 3,800 woeva like you said, how did you make such a silly mistake by typing 1,000,000 in digits instead of a simple 3,800 or 4,800, the error there says it all, that u were either high on codeine or ref, or you probably think you were transferring your guys cut of the money from that biz,unfortunately went to the uber driver looking like Hassan Spencer, that dude go don spend 435k inside that money before bank and police or court woeva steps in.[/quote
Take your time to read, don't be lazy. He didn't transfer the money same day he paid the uber ride!!!. It was the following day. Pls read with comprehension.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Samuel Robinson: 18-Year-Old Gets N200Million Funding For Agricultural Business / Black Friday At Ibadan Shoprite: Customers Take Canned Drinks, Ate Packaged Rice / Man Who Returned N600,000 Mistakenly Sent To Him Now In Trouble

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.