Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,463 members, 7,816,085 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:33 AM

Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver - Business (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver (68181 Views)

Nigerian Woman Returns N38m Chinese Company Mistakenly Sent To Her Bank Account / Couple Donate N1m To Man Who Lost His Business To Onitsha Fire (photos / Man Who Returned N600,000 Mistakenly Sent To Him Now In Trouble (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by DSENATAR: 10:58pm On Nov 17, 2018
Take the following steps:
1. Get a lawyer
2. Get a court order to place a permanent restriction on withdrawal from the driver's account, that is if the money is still sitting in his account.
3. Get his bank to call him, if he honors there call, then he will be made to transfer your funds back to you.

Best of luck
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Excelboi(m): 10:59pm On Nov 17, 2018
bujebudanu1:

I sent a message
replied.
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Ranchhoddas: 10:59pm On Nov 17, 2018
maestroferddi:
Life is not all about noise making and filling spaces with fluff and finery...

He was telling you about a practical way of getting things done...

You ought to have been quick on the uptake...
You again!

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Ajibesin: 10:59pm On Nov 17, 2018
This is so bad and also unprofessional of uber customer care, and those police officers demanding 150k+ are thieves.
I commend you for taking steps to freeze the said account but 4weeks is long time o, you shld av taken measures immediately.
Please don't just stop by posting on nairaland alone, reach out on twitter and possibly Facebook too. reach out to @segalink on twitter and couple of people to help you retweet and tag uber, tag Nigeria police (wateva their handle is) tag the banks involve also.
Let us make a lot of noise about this.
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Trulie(m): 11:00pm On Nov 17, 2018
I believe, and I stand to be corrected by my learned people in the house, that the right person to sue is uber since the driver obviously is reluctant to return the transferred amount.
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by maestroferddi: 11:08pm On Nov 17, 2018
Ranchhoddas:
You again!
lol.

You think smartness is achieved by stringing a slew of sentences together yet failing to get a handle on coherence?
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by BecaciaBarbie(f): 11:11pm On Nov 17, 2018
Oh no!!!! This type of situation hurts me so much, knowing fully well that one guy is trying to claim a money that he didn't work for I am so so so pissed right now! I can't even bear it! That dude must be dealt with! Just imagine this nonsense!!!!

Op, you could use a woman or get creative by using another number to contact him, deceiving him into meeting with you and also get a lawyer involve. I'm sorry you going through this, but you should worry not... He won't get away with this!

1 Like

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by fuckboys: 11:11pm On Nov 17, 2018
DSENATAR:
Take the following steps:
1. Get a lawyer
2. Get a court order to place a permanent restriction on withdrawal from the driver's account, that is if the money is still sitting in his account.
3. Get his bank to call him, if he honors there call, then he will be made to transfer your funds back to you.

Best of luck
why are Nigerians so lazy,is it that reading and comprehending is now a difficult task?

Every one saying freeze his account and shits, didn't you read where the op said his account has been frozen already? angry

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by AlphaStyles(m): 11:11pm On Nov 17, 2018
My advice mail uber again then go to ur bank,his bank and the police and also look for customer complaint page on twitter and report the issue
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Reeberry: 11:12pm On Nov 17, 2018
stagger:
Uber has no business with this. This was entirely due to your carelessness.

So leave Uber out of it, and do as the poster above me has said.
You are senseless.
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by LaExpert: 11:18pm On Nov 17, 2018
Acidosis:

I think you have a lot of money to throw around. No single trip within Lagos state should cost that much on Uber (especially Taxify). Even Berger to Ajah, Epe or Ijanikin would not cost that much. The moment you heard N4800, you should have checked your app.

Btw, why should you embark on a trip without confirming the approximated cost? Like Google map, Uber and Taxify already provide an algorithm that calculates your estimated bill prior to your trip.

As regards your N1m, that one na small thing. You will get your money. If I were you though, I will also ensure he spends some days behind bars.

If you use Uber very often, you'll know trips cost much more than that sometimes.

I've taken at least, 15 trips that cost more than that.

It's even worse when there's a surge.
For a start, try booking a trip from Ikeja to Omu resort, Lakowe and see the estimate...or Ajah to Iyana Ipaja.

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Oselu28(f): 11:25pm On Nov 17, 2018
What a mistake
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by tosyne2much(m): 11:29pm On Nov 17, 2018
The stench of poverty and ignorance on this thread is appalling and I weep for our leaders of tomorrow

So, trading e-currencies such as bitcoin, AGC, iTunes card means someone is a scammer?

Oh my lawd.. What kind of country is this?

11 Likes

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by tosyne2much(m): 11:35pm On Nov 17, 2018
islandmoon:

how did they get amazon card op is buying? from those countries he listed, he should be investigated as well, because that money he transferred to the UBER driver may another style of fraud, see what he listed in his post below

Amazon card needed

Brazil
China
France
Italy

Japan
Mexico
Spain
Germany
India
Canada

take a look at his signature! but of them should be investigated
Keep wallowing in ignorance oooo let people keep making their money from e-currencies and crytocurrency trading while you all keep shouting it's scam

I also was in your shoes before I became enlightened.
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by ChiefAlex(m): 11:36pm On Nov 17, 2018
maestroferddi:
May we know what you know?

Are you a banker or are you just making noise?

Your stupidity is legendary and you’re a local boy. You mumu ehn. People transfer as much as 5 million idiot stop arguing what you don’t know
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by tolani4real: 11:53pm On Nov 17, 2018
bunmiano:
I've been a member of Nairaland since 2012 and I'm very frequent with the business section.

I have a very serious issue that has been a pain on my neck and I will try as much as I can to summarize everything

I sent a sum of N1m to a Uber taxi driver's account number on the 20th October, 2018. This money was a part payment bill for one of my family members who is battling with a life-threatening health issues. That happened about 4 weeks ago.

This is how the whole thing happened

A friend of mine paid me a courtesy visit and when he was about leaving, I used my rider app to request a ride for him and the driver came and took him to his destination. He told my friend the estimated cost of the fare was N4,800 but my friend didn't even bother to check because he felt he probably would not lie about it.

My friend called and told me the fare was N4,800 and I requested for the Uber taxi driver's account number after which I made the payment. The next day (20th October), I needed to make a transaction of N1m to someone for a part payment bill of my family member's treatment oblivious of the fact that I actually made the payment to the Uber taxi driver's account number. This was because I added him in my beneficiary when I wanted to make the payment.

I went to the rider app to get his contact, only for me to realize he actually inflated the fare from N3,400 to N4,800 which I literally paid for. You can see he's not an honest person but I wasn't really bothered about that.

I called and pleaded to him to refund the 1m I sent to his account. At first, he acted as if he didn't receive any money but after series of calls, he later confirmed it. I sent my account details to him and he promised to refund me on Monday as it was weekend.

Monday came and the dude started acting funny. He would pick my calls and remain silent. There were times he gave the phone to a lady to talk to me. Sometimes he yelled at me to stop disturbing him, and a point, he even stopped picking my calls

I mailed Uber and narrated everything that transpired. They responded requesting for evidence to back up my claim which I provided. I took screenshots of the first (inflated fare) and second payment and attached it to my massage. They responded telling me I should exercise patience and that they will look into my issue

It's been 4 weeks now and Uber has been lackadaisical towards this issue. I have messaged them several times and they seem to be less concerned about it.
With the way Uber has been acting towards this issue, one could conclude that they're trying to cover up this guy. Someone that can easily call and resolve this issue.

They have just been acting like they're more concerned about their own pockets than customer's satisfaction. I expect them to have taken up the issue for properly investigation despite providing solid evidence.

Please everyone! I have tried and I'm already fed up. Their customer care is my last resort but they have been nonchalant despite knowing the name, vehicle type, and license plate number of someone working for them. Even the Uber driver in question has failed to refund the money and has been avoiding me.

I went to the bank recently and his account has been frozen but I haven't been able to get my money

This country is just messed up. Even the police aren't helping matters. They are demanding their own share of about 150k

Mods please help my situation by pushing this to the front page

Below are the screenshots of everything

Nigeria is a message up country. I think you should have contacted your bank and his bank so they can blocked the account pending investigation. Since you have his name, phone number and picture then why don't you contact EFCC. Let. Let Uber also know that you are about to contact EFCC. I feel your pain bro
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by wiloy2k8(m): 11:53pm On Nov 17, 2018
bunmiano:
I've been a member of Nairaland since 2012 and I'm very frequent with the business section.

I have a very serious issue that has been a pain on my neck and I will try as much as I can to summarize everything

I sent a sum of N1m to a Uber taxi driver's account number on the 20th October, 2018. This money was a part payment bill for one of my family members who is battling with a life-threatening health issues. That happened about 4 weeks ago.

A friend of mine paid me a courtesy visit and when he was about leaving, I used my rider app to request a ride for him and the driver came and took him to his destination. He told my friend the estimated cost of the fare was N4,800 but my friend didn't even bother to check because he felt he probably would not lie about it.

My friend called and told me the fare was N4,800 and I requested for the Uber taxi driver's account number after which I made the payment. The next day (20th October), I needed to make a transaction of N1m to someone for a part payment bill of my family member's treatment oblivious of the fact that I actually made the payment to the Uber taxi driver's account number. This was because I added him in my beneficiary when I wanted to make the payment.

I went to the rider app to get his contact, only for me to realize he actually inflated the fare from N3,400 to N4,800 which I literally paid for. You can see he's not an honest person but I wasn't really bothered about that.

I called and pleaded to him to refund the 1m I sent to his account. At first, he acted as if he didn't receive any money but after series of calls, he later confirmed it. I sent my account details to him and he promised to refund me on Monday as it was weekend.

Monday came and the dude started acting funny. He would pick my calls and remain silent. There were times he gave the phone to a lady to talk to me. Sometimes he yelled at me to stop disturbing him, and a point, he even stopped picking my calls

I mailed Uber and narrated everything that transpired. They responded requesting for evidence to back up my claim which I provided. I took screenshots of the first (inflated fare) and second payment and attached it to my massage. They responded telling me I should exercise patience and that they will look into my issue

It's been 4 weeks now and Uber has been lackadaisical towards this issue. I have messaged them several times and they seem to be less concerned about it.
With the way Uber has been acting towards this issue, one could conclude that they're trying to cover up this guy. Someone that can easily call and resolve this issue.

They have just been acting like they're more concerned about their own pockets than customer's satisfaction. I expect them to have taken up the issue for properly investigation despite providing solid evidence.

Please everyone! I have tried and I'm already fed up. Their customer care is my last resort but they have been nonchalant despite knowing the name, vehicle type, and license plate number of someone working for them. Even the Uber driver in question has failed to refund the money and has been avoiding me.

I went to the bank recently and his account has been frozen but I haven't been able to get my money

This country is just messed up. Even the police aren't helping matters. They are demanding their own share of about 150k

post more details ..picture of the person and try get informations of the police officers that were requesting the money from you then we would continue ... send same message to instablog and prof of conversation with the police and with uber and this would help
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by instinct57vm(m): 12:01am On Nov 18, 2018
I wish you had posted this earlier. But better late than never. Uber is extremely useless and they cannot help you in this situation(speaking from experience) I would have asked you to threaten that you have reported to EFCC to see if he will comply but i think thats rather late perhaps. But you can still do the following;
1. Report to your bank and his bank for advice. With visible evidence, Your bank can speak to his bank to lien his account (stop his account from further withdrawals) then put a gentleman across to him to summon him for a meeting. If he agrees to terms peacefully, then no ish, otherwise he will be handed over to security operatives.
2. If this is not working. Please report to EFCC, i repeat EFCC and thank me later.
3. Be rest assured, as he will be made to pay all the money coz he has a job.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by maestroferddi: 12:04am On Nov 18, 2018
ChiefAlex:

Your stupidity is legendary and you’re a local boy. You mumu ehn. People transfer as much as 5 million idiot stop arguing what you don’t know
You have the emotional quotient of a 30-day old baby...

Just too bad...
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by ogtavia(m): 12:05am On Nov 18, 2018
Why are Nigerians not thinking right. Do you know how many authorizations you have to make before you will be able to transfer that sort of money. Infact, before your credit limit exceeds N1M, you must have constantly made heavy transactions over time. I am not saying this isn't remotely possible, but before you make transfers, you must have made at least two authorizations before confirming your transfer.

This story doesn't add up. Nigerians please think!!!

1 Like

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by GOZ4CHRIST(m): 12:05am On Nov 18, 2018
Chaiyah.... So sorry dear

Meanwhile, Tecno Y6 for sale 15k. Location, Owerri. Interested should call, text or whatsapp 08165938656
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by pek(m): 12:07am On Nov 18, 2018
eyoniggar:
First off, this guy might be a yahoo boy, am sorry though about the error in transfer amount, but if he was to charge you 4,800 or 3,800 woeva like you said, how did you make such a silly mistake by typing 1,000,000 in digits instead of a simple 3,800 or 4,800, the error there says it all, that u were either high on codeine or ref, or you probably think you were transferring your guys cut of the money from that biz,unfortunately went to the uber driver looking like Hassan Spencer, that dude go don spend 435k inside that money before bank and police or court woeva steps in.
this has confirmed to me a lot of people don't read. Cause if you did, you won't have written that.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by NemzySeries(m): 12:15am On Nov 18, 2018
oga i no bliv ur story bkos nobody in hiz right frame 9f mind who worked hard to get 1m will b dis lazy to take proper measure in regaining such an amount especially in dis govt..... is 1m 10k dat u cud jst over look? derz more to dis story abeg.... by d way why u go add uber driver to ur beneficiary wen itz ur 1st request to him? d story don dey irritate sef.... lag wey sum of us dey look as city of smart pple sum pple go still proudly dey mumu dere

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by wisdomkid: 12:15am On Nov 18, 2018
Someone should tag UBER and get them to act swiftly, 1M in this buhari time is 1Billion! shocked shocked
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by bebeto94: 12:27am On Nov 18, 2018
bunmiano:
The mistake I made was that I actually called and spoke to him in a calm manner and he promised to refund the money which I believed.. Then he started dribbling me
4get d money.its gone.u can never see him. Except u cstch him physically.
Dats impossible

1 Like

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Nobody: 12:30am On Nov 18, 2018
bunmiano:

You were way too slow my brother,

Had a similar case, mistakenly sent 20k to someone, I only figured it out hours later, so I immediately called the bank customer care( Access Bank), one sweet lady picked up, I told her my complaint & I want my money back, she said they would look into it.

I was already planning to go & make trouble with the manager Eco bank branch near me( the account that received the funds) early in the money.

Alert showed up around 10pm that night, was credited 20k plus the 52.5 transaction fee grin

You still have a chance, get Crack police people, You will only pay for thier car fuel etc. very little money, especially if the guy is still in town

Good luck

1 Like

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by modath(f): 12:36am On Nov 18, 2018
maestroferddi:
You will be misled if you think I do believe you wired any 1M out wrongly...

You story lacks credulity...

Life doesn't begin and end on politics section, Bunmi can't lie about 1m, It's not enough for him to lie about. TRUST ME... wink

If you do biz enough & have over 100 names in beneficiary list, Yours truly has done a few erroneous transactions but got refunded back (maybe cos they are known people) , yes it happens... smiley

1 Like

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Mrlouis: 12:36am On Nov 18, 2018
Why i think this story is a Hoax

(1) You added someone you did a one-time transaction with to your list of "beneficiaries".. well the jokes on you, he ended up benefiting from you.

(2) After 4 weeks yet no head-way in getting back your money.. Hard-earned bucks will spur you in thinking in the right direction to retrieve em back. Yeah.. i guess you've got enough dough to play around with

(3) nhyigga you daft!!!
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Toks2008(m): 12:44am On Nov 18, 2018
bunmiano:

Better bargain with the police to like 50k soyou can get 950k back else.. nah naija we dey.
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Eaglefine(f): 12:44am On Nov 18, 2018
May God help u to recover ur money back.
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by longevity1(m): 1:02am On Nov 18, 2018
You have said and done so much,but I dont think you got the most important part of this right.Have you asked God to intervene?If you are a chilld and friend of God,that was supposed to be your first port of call.

Or,don't you trust God hat much
My prayer for you is that God will step in and settle the matter.

4 Likes

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by much123456(m): 1:18am On Nov 18, 2018
IT'S obvious alot of you guys calling uber names are either novice or just don't wanna use your head, my advice for you all is that you always read terms and conditions of something before making use of it. Uber is just an app that connects you to a ride in which both you and the driver are independent i.e so if you want to blame uber on this then you must blame your bank for there app too. And for uber late response I think they been very careful not to be scam by the op and the driver. Because normal uber standard is that they refund you when you have been overcharged and what exactly does the op what uber to do because the driver is using the app just as the rider is using it. Is that uber should refund or call the police for you or block the guy or may be track him and tell you to go pick him up. UBER will definitely respond to you but before that treat this case as a fraud case between you and a fraudulent person. No need to give additional clue you have enough in the comments box

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Samuel Robinson: 18-Year-Old Gets N200Million Funding For Agricultural Business / Black Friday At Ibadan Shoprite: Customers Take Canned Drinks, Ate Packaged Rice / Man Who Returned N600,000 Mistakenly Sent To Him Now In Trouble

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.