Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,592 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:59 PM

Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver - Business (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver (68174 Views)

Nigerian Woman Returns N38m Chinese Company Mistakenly Sent To Her Bank Account / Couple Donate N1m To Man Who Lost His Business To Onitsha Fire (photos / Man Who Returned N600,000 Mistakenly Sent To Him Now In Trouble (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by jidobaba(m): 2:13am On Nov 18, 2018
Toks2008:

Better bargain with the police to like 50k soyou can get 950k back else.. nah naija we dey.
Bunmiano go with this option ASAP. Even if it means giving them the entire 150k.
@ your currency exchange business, you have nothing to be afraid of. In fact no policeman is going to ask you how you got your money. Na oga dem go dey call you once you promise them the 150k.
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by davillian(m): 3:10am On Nov 18, 2018
There are some mistake you should not make.
4.8 is far from 1m
Dumb mofo

1 Like

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Tinyemeka(m): 3:16am On Nov 18, 2018
bunmiano:
I've been a member of Nairaland since 2012 and I'm very frequent with the business section.

I have a very serious issue that has been a pain on my neck and I will try as much as I can to summarize everything

I sent a sum of N1m to a Uber taxi driver's account number on the 20th October, 2018. This money was a part payment bill for one of my family members who is battling with a life-threatening health issues. That happened about 4 weeks ago.

This is how the whole thing happened

A friend of mine paid me a courtesy visit and when he was about leaving, I used my rider app to request a ride for him and the driver came and took him to his destination. He told my friend the estimated cost of the fare was N4,800 but my friend didn't even bother to check because he felt he probably would not lie about it.

My friend called and told me the fare was N4,800 and I requested for the Uber taxi driver's account number after which I made the payment. The next day (20th October), I needed to make a transaction of N1m to someone for a part payment bill of my family member's treatment oblivious of the fact that I actually made the payment to the Uber taxi driver's account number. This was because I added him in my beneficiary when I wanted to make the payment.

I went to the rider app to get his contact, only for me to realize he actually inflated the fare from N3,400 to N4,800 which I literally paid for. You can see he's not an honest person but I wasn't really bothered about that.

I called and pleaded to him to refund the 1m I sent to his account. At first, he acted as if he didn't receive any money but after series of calls, he later confirmed it. I sent my account details to him and he promised to refund me on Monday as it was weekend.

Monday came and the dude started acting funny. He would pick my calls and remain silent. There were times he gave the phone to a lady to talk to me. Sometimes he yelled at me to stop disturbing him, and a point, he even stopped picking my calls

I mailed Uber and narrated everything that transpired. They responded requesting for evidence to back up my claim which I provided. I took screenshots of the first (inflated fare) and second payment and attached it to my massage. They responded telling me I should exercise patience and that they will look into my issue

It's been 4 weeks now and Uber has been lackadaisical towards this issue. I have messaged them several times and they seem to be less concerned about it.
With the way Uber has been acting towards this issue, one could conclude that they're trying to cover up this guy. Someone that can easily call and resolve this issue.

They have just been acting like they're more concerned about their own pockets than customer's satisfaction. I expect them to have taken up the issue for properly investigation despite providing solid evidence.

Please everyone! I have tried and I'm already fed up. Their customer care is my last resort but they have been nonchalant despite knowing the name, vehicle type, and license plate number of someone working for them. Even the Uber driver in question has failed to refund the money and has been avoiding me.

I went to the bank recently and his account has been frozen but I haven't been able to get my money

This country is just messed up. Even the police aren't helping matters. They are demanding their own share of about 150k

Mods please help my situation by pushing this to the front page

Below are the screenshots of everything

There is a recent CBN policy concerning these matters.

Please draft a formal complaint to your bank's head office and CC CBN's customer complaints desk cpd@cbn.gov.ng describing the issue and requesting a reversal of the transfer. The beneficiary bank is obligated to comply.

If he has spent the money and his account is not sufficiently funded, his BVN will be blacklisted. All his accounts in every Nigerian bank will be closed including the one he uses for his Uber business and he'll be forced to reply you.

You should have done this a long time ago.

There is also a detailed description of steps you can take here:
https://lawpadi.com/make-complaint-bank-nigeria/

Sorry about your plight.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Tinyemeka(m): 3:19am On Nov 18, 2018
Please do not listen to folks advising you to pay police officers to handle the matter. You'd only be shortchanging yourself.
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by jidobaba(m): 3:42am On Nov 18, 2018
^^

Tinyemeka:

There is a recent CBN policy concerning these matters.

Please draft a formal complaint to your bank's head office and CC CBN's customer complaints desk cpd@cbn.gov.ng describing the issue and requesting a reversal of the transfer. The beneficiary bank is obligated to comply.

If he has spent the money and his account is not sufficiently funded, his BVN will be blacklisted. All his accounts in every Nigerian bank will be closed including the one he uses for his Uber business and he'll be forced to reply you.

You should have done this a long time ago.

There is also a detailed description of steps you can take here:
https://lawpadi.com/make-complaint-bank-nigeria/

Sorry about your plight.
OP has practically done this and yet the thief will not respond. As he has withdrawn the money and likely gone into hiding, how else do you advise OP to get him(and get the money back), without paying the police?
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by dyrocha: 3:48am On Nov 18, 2018
davillian:
There are some mistake you should not make.
4.8 is far from 1m
Dumb mofo

[b][/b]if anyone be dumb, it should be you. Wonder how you passed through school without bagging result from the rear.. Poster said he erroneously sent 1m naira.(in hi mind, he had selected the right beneficiary but hi finger must have chosen another contact without confirming it beneficiary was right or wrong) It can happen to anyone.. That's different from the 4800 he sent initially and you're here derogating him. Shame on you. Big and Strong advice to poster and everyone, it takes you just a few seconds to go through all you've done than spending days,weeks even months correcting one simple mistake.

5 Likes

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by TOPCRUISE(m): 4:00am On Nov 18, 2018
People like that are thinking of how to do business with the money. We all know the part of the country chukwudi comes from.
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Toseenlove: 4:03am On Nov 18, 2018
babadee1:
People please don't be adding someone as a beneficiary to your payment app when you're only making a one time payment to them. It defeats the entire purpose and makes mistakes like this more likely to happen. Just enter the account details once and forget it. OP sorry for your loss I hope you'll be able to get your money back.

Lol like u know what's on my mind, Once I'm done with the transaction and that silly words pop-up, I don't always even bother to look at It. I'll just press RED straight. Beneficiary or what did u call it again....
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by oddoood: 4:12am On Nov 18, 2018
DQ94:
There was a report about a pastor who released a sextape involving him and a lover... It was on Front Page, even.

Well... Here goes: https://www.xvideos.com/video40711727/nigerian_pastor_funking_his_mistress

Go to the sexuality thread, will you?
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by NeuroBoss(m): 4:41am On Nov 18, 2018
Sorry sir for your loss. What is even more disturbing is the enormity of what is at stake if the money is not recovered- human life!

For people being insensitive by acting judge first before showing empathy....na wetin happen say make we see am (na Yoruba proverb)

[People like you lots always think they are wise until something unimaginably sillier happens to you.

Follow the good suggestions some well-meaning persons have proffered her. Good luck sir.

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by cvibe2: 4:52am On Nov 18, 2018
Find a way to impound the vehicle he is using for Uber...your 1m will come out....though in bits and pieces, and may be incomplete.
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by 3RNEST(m): 5:02am On Nov 18, 2018
Sorry bro, embarassed Sincerely things like this happen but we learn everyday, my suggestion try and get in touch with his family members to help u talk to him, try social media like Facebook and Instagram. if you are on IG, follow @Tundeednut dat uber driver might be on IG, tag him, I guess Tunde can help you out.

I pray you recover your money.
Good luck bro.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by srclark: 5:11am On Nov 18, 2018
Poverty is a bad thing the uber driver must think 1m is big money ,the risk he his taking is not worth it .why risk not having a bank account for the rest of your life for just 1m .Now you have to depend on others for your bank transactions

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by 3RNEST(m): 5:13am On Nov 18, 2018
TOPCRUISE:
People like that are thinking of how to do business with the money. We all know the part of the country chukwudi comes from.
Money he never worked for? Taking advantage from someone error, this is unfair Chukwudi, biko refund dat money it's not your money for crying out loud. embarassed...

1 Like

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by 3RNEST(m): 5:18am On Nov 18, 2018
srclark:
Poverty is a bad thing the uber driver must think 1m is big money ,the risk he his taking is not worth it .why risk not having a bank account for the rest of your life for just 1m .Now you have to depend on others for your bank transactions
I'm telling you bro, to him now he don hammer, who knows, he could have get a greater reward by returning dat money.
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Nehemz(m): 5:55am On Nov 18, 2018
bunmiano:
More screenshots
Get a court order take it to your bank, ur money will come out, it ones happen wit me.
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by dangoteinlaw: 6:13am On Nov 18, 2018
maestroferddi:
Make I follow you laff, my brother...

Many Sultans of Brunei on this platform... lol..
hehehe u see that iPhoneX, 4 it to look that old nigga prolly bought bit the day it was launched, money speaking

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Kellyboy82(m): 6:14am On Nov 18, 2018
bunmiano:
Proof of sending money to him
this money would have been refunded to ur account assuming u called ur bank to lay complaints, and if it was still around 24hra of the day,u just did not do dat,...
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by tejiri4(m): 6:22am On Nov 18, 2018
Uber failed on their path with the price inflation from their staff. I pity those using uber
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by TOPCRUISE(m): 6:25am On Nov 18, 2018
3RNEST:

Money he never worked for? Taking advantage from someone error, this is unfair Chukwudi, biko refund dat money it's not your money for crying out loud. embarassed...
That man is just too wicked
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Emac34: 6:35am On Nov 18, 2018
tosyne2much:
The stench of poverty and ignorance on this thread is appalling and I weep for our leaders of tomorrow

So, trading e-currencies such as bitcoin, AGC, iTunes card means someone is a scammer?

Oh my lawd.. What kind of country is this?
knowledge is power just as the Bible said my people perish cos the lack knowledge cheesycheesy
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by NoToPile: 6:38am On Nov 18, 2018
ibietela2:

Gtbank doesn't have one time thingy

You can choose to save or not to save an added beneficiary on gtb internet banking
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Nobody: 6:52am On Nov 18, 2018
stagger:
Uber has no business with this. This was entirely due to your carelessness.

So leave Uber out of it, and do as the poster above me has said.
sent you a PM..plz check your email

1 Like

Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Nobody: 6:58am On Nov 18, 2018
NotBeenPaid:

You lack common sense - You effed up big time. We all make mistakes but your response time was 100% slow.

You would have gotten the money If you had informed your financial institution on time and without having to involve criminals in police uniforms.

The guy might be outta the country already

The OP is too slow, he will learn a good lesson from this experience.
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by santicruz: 7:04am On Nov 18, 2018
The first u should have done is get a court order and place a no debit a status on his acct so he can't withdraw the money.
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by DAYOODS(m): 7:07am On Nov 18, 2018
overdrive:
where are the screenshots of the transactions.u should have gone to his bank then to the police to get the account blocked.
pls always read B4 you comment he said the account has been frozen
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by ibietela2(m): 7:11am On Nov 18, 2018
NoToPile:

You can choose to save or not to save an added beneficiary on gtb internet banking

Unless you are using the new app
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by Guestlander: 7:14am On Nov 18, 2018
SixDividedByTwo:

good man who's refusing to return someone's money ...and for over a month now? you must be very silly for this comment

Madam who is not silly, this was the comment I responded to:
The driver looks like an ex convict

He has criminal features.

Perhaps you can explain to me what ex convicts look like or what criminal features look like.
I will let the insults slide but next time show a little decorum.
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by 3RNEST(m): 7:17am On Nov 18, 2018
TOPCRUISE:

That man is just too wicked
Am telling u bro, dats wickedness in the highest place, taking money someone hard earn money without pity.
Re: Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver by 3RNEST(m): 7:19am On Nov 18, 2018
spiceadole:
If Chukwudi had transferred 1million by mistake to Adetayo, Adetayo would have returned the money.

But Adetayo mistakenly transferred 1million to Chukwudi, it has become a case.
Chukwudi is not willing to return the money.

The folks from the Chukwudi part of Nigeria are rogues, money crazy people.
To add salt to injury, this Chukwudi even looks like a criminal.

It's a pity for Adetayo
Its well... Karma never sleep dear...

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Samuel Robinson: 18-Year-Old Gets N200Million Funding For Agricultural Business / Black Friday At Ibadan Shoprite: Customers Take Canned Drinks, Ate Packaged Rice / Man Who Returned N600,000 Mistakenly Sent To Him Now In Trouble

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.