Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,996 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:30 AM

Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! - Politics (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! (46273 Views)

Pic: Little Girl Who Was Badly Burnt During Boko Haram Attack To Get Plastic Sur / How I Was Badly Treated After A Near Death Experience In An Ex-ministers Hotel / I'm Not Corrupt, I Pleaded Guilty To Save Nigeria's Image – Ibori (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by beefblaze(m): 1:15pm On Apr 20, 2007
U see these are some of the things we try to work out amidst the few evil ones, wink
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by luridguy(m): 1:26pm On Apr 20, 2007
i really think the issue should not be about yorubas or igbos its sad to see us arguing about it.both sides have their fraud stars they just go about it in different ways.yoruba or igbo its sha nigeria and the truth is no body seems to see our good sides anymore
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by ZENOI: 10:05pm On Apr 20, 2007
The problem with Nigerians is that they look for something, someone, anything to blame. now it is the igbos. I must first comment that the bastard who started this conversation seeing the igbos as the only corrupt tribe in Nigeria is a fish brain. Man get your facts right before you open your big gutter mouth u f, king self-servicer. Face facts yeah,the Igbos are the most intelligent tribe, i give it to them anytime any day. Who is the biggest thief in Nigeria today? what tribe is he from? and he precisely leaves in Ogun State and will retire very soon and walk away with his loot unaccounted. Can you also say that all the yahoo boys, the tafa baloguns, all the presidents of Nigeria right from the seventies. Gosh man and all your stupid and sheepish supporter talking against the Igbo tribe. Man please swallow your ignorance and die with it. people like you and these other Idiots actually make Nigeria look Bad. rather than seeing that fraud is bad, irrespective of the ethnic tribe, you sit back ejaculating your tribalistic ignorance. Look man divert your negative energy into washing plates and flipping burger on the streets of texas and stop talking trash. And when you are old, aged and whithered, repatrate yourself by ship and try making Nigeria better. EWU angry
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by egoldman(m): 11:38pm On Apr 20, 2007
All those fuming at Oprah's coverage of Nigerian internet fraud ought to go ahead and retaliate by airing a program about junkies, welfare cheats, crack dealers and muggers on the mean streets of American cities. This effort would go a long way to consoling offended Nigerians by reminding them that there are also dishonest and amoral folks right there in Oprah's American back yard, and that only a sub-minority of them speak with Nigerian accents.
you contend that oprah is not Nigerian or African hater , you say its her job to expose Nigerian 419 ,but when it comes to exposing the crimes and fraud in american ,then it becomes the duty of Nigerians abi ? plz don't make me call u names here .
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by myssfyne(f): 5:00am On Apr 21, 2007
igbos here should stop boasting on their manufacturing skills. I mean is it those awful Aba made things that they are proud of. Or those obnoxious Opi iweka traders. please!!! give us a break.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by egoldman(m): 6:17am On Apr 21, 2007
myssfyne:

igbos here should stop boasting on their manufacturing skills. I mean is it those awful Aba made things that they are proud of. Or those obnoxious Opi iweka traders. please!!! give us a break.

Maybe to boast isn't the right thing to do ,but calling igbo made products is rather myopic , cos every great manufacturing nation started that way , u need to see what Japaneses where producing 50 years ago to understand what am saying .
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by Jakumo(m): 6:25am On Apr 21, 2007
egoldman:

you contend that Oprah is not Nigerian or African hater , you say its her job to expose Nigerian 419 ,but when it comes to exposing the crimes and fraud in American ,then it becomes the duty of Nigerians abi ? plz don't make me call u names here .

Egoldman please feel free to call me names if you wish.    Matter of fact you can call me anything you want as long as you don't call me late for the sharing of money.   All jokes aside, my point earlier was that anyone unhappy with the coverage that Oprah gave Nigerian 419 fraud could go ahead and retaliate by producing a TV program for Nigerian viewers in which some of the less pleasant aspects of North American life could similarly be highlighted.

And yes, Egoldman, it IS Oprah's JOB to produce TV programs that cover topics of interest to the American public.  By the same token you or any other aggrieved Nigerian can also make it YOUR DUTY to air a TV program which proves that the USA is nowhere near as perfect as the Utopian dream nurtured by teeming hordes of would-be Nigerian immigrants who daily besiege the US embassy in Lagos.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by egoldman(m): 6:33am On Apr 21, 2007
and your point is oprah is being fair ?
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by acidrop(f): 6:37am On Apr 21, 2007
i just think american crime is a common and natural basic familiar 2 the whole world, and alloprah wanna do is make money, so programing american's criminal acts wont get her as much money as programing a small african country not 2 familiar 2 the world like 9ja, nw ppl will be intrested in that
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by egoldman(m): 6:42am On Apr 21, 2007
Jakumo , i just asked you a question if Oprah could be said to be fair from last post .
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by Tornadoz(m): 12:30pm On Apr 21, 2007
@ThiefOfHearts
I was saying those accusing the Ibos of giving Nigeria a bad name should know its not only the Ibos.
You're such an arrogant cow its unbelievable.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by Jakumo(m): 1:53pm On Apr 21, 2007
Egoldman the question of whether Oprah's program about Nigerian 419 fraud was  "fair" needn't be asked since life itself is rarely  "fair".   Racism isn't  "fair" but it exists, as do bad weather and taxes, but one needn't lose sleep over the relative "fairness" of those simple facts of life that cannot be changed, and the same goes for the editorial content of an American TV talk show.   Oprah chooses what she wants to air in her show, and she probably does not give a flying phuck what you or I think of her daily program lineup.   As far as she is concerned, our whimperings amount to little more than so many dried bugs on the windscreen of life.

The established fact which nobody in their right mind would dispute is that Nigerians as a group engage in advanced fee fraud and have thus labelled their country as the "home" of internet fraud, for better or worse.  Those familiar enough with Nigeria may further sub-classify 419 criminals by tribe, but that level of precision is of minimal interest to the outside world from where most of the victims of this crime wave are selected.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by Christino(m): 2:54pm On Apr 21, 2007
I still don't know why my people like to cut corners. For over 3 years now, if you meet anyone in the chatrooms, tell them you are a Nigerian and 9 out of 10 will end the convo immediately. Will oprah's revelation surprise such? Hell nah.

Naija as a country is seen as fraudulent, from Owambe to dirty politics to Alams and what have you. Why cry foul now, i don't think Oprah did anything new.

Forget about Oprah and face the music. WE ARE FRAUDULENT!!!
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by Nobody: 7:35pm On Apr 21, 2007
myssfyne:

What the hell is Opi Iweka?. . .It's Upper Iweka, shows how much you know about other places in Nigeria!
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by Nobody: 8:48pm On Apr 21, 2007
For those of you bashin the igbos, am not igbo but i wanna say that its not only dem abeg. last week they caught 2 yoruba boys and a girl that i know becuase of identity theft. They are in custody right now,

@ Christino
You and who is fraudulent

in canada here, west indies, chinese, brownies all engage in this fraud but how come we are the ones that stand out.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by myssfyne(f): 9:12pm On Apr 21, 2007
Xtycod or what ever your name is, shut the f,  ck  grin up, i was writing my own view and it has nothing to do with your silly ass. You asked me of what my people can boast of, i am proudly from cross rivers state, have you seen our Obudu cattle ranch, our Tinapa or our governor(the cuttest guy in town), let me stop here and continue the boasting 2morrow. smiley. And you Donzman knowing the spelling of upper or inner iweka ain't going to  add a dime to my bank account. Again to hell with all those igbo made nonsense.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by Christino(m): 9:57pm On Apr 21, 2007
@ Muchbabe,

Christino and Muchbabe shocked are fraudulent (every american knows that!) cheesy
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by Nobody: 5:49pm On Apr 22, 2007
@ xytycod

Hey watch wat u say about cross riverians ok, i am a cross riverian and i do not take kindly to such rude comments. Just cos of one person, u want to go and bash the whole state, who says the highest H.I.V rate is from cross river state, and what the hell are you talkin about us been lazy for, i am not goin to write any degradin comment about anybody's tribe because am all about respect so plsss hold your spite

@ christino

haha very funny
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by myssfyne(f): 8:20pm On Apr 22, 2007
Xtycod, you keep talking about Hiv, have you checked your statues recently!!!!am really scared for you,  tongue .Meanwhile you suck on your replys, please quit replying or look for someone to do it for you.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by myssfyne(f): 8:41pm On Apr 22, 2007
xtycod please check the statues again, its getting obvious that you have it. You know they could make mistakes in Kamorass hopital.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by myssfyne(f): 8:46pm On Apr 22, 2007
xtycod your 're so funny, i was joking with you, dont take it personal.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by myssfyne(f): 8:51pm On Apr 22, 2007
Meanwhile I love igbos, i dont have any strings about them or their products.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by myssfyne(f): 9:02pm On Apr 22, 2007
maybe ijust got angry, when i told someone here i was from nigeria and immediately he said the bad part of africa, i was so ashamed of myself.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by egoldman(m): 9:07pm On Apr 22, 2007
myssfyne:

Meanwhile I love igbos, i don't have any strings about them or their products.

Well , things seem to be cooling down now grin grin
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by myssfyne(f): 9:16pm On Apr 22, 2007
they were about three and were just laughing at me.  i could not reply them. Xtycod what part of london are you. if you dont mind.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by myssfyne(f): 9:21pm On Apr 22, 2007
ok, i thought you were in london, just asked, maybe to know.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by egoldman(m): 9:45pm On Apr 22, 2007
xtycod:

Am not in England. Am in Germany. Why do you ask?

myssfyne:

ok, i thought you were in london, just asked, maybe to know.

xtycod:

Do you plan on visiting England sometime soon?

You Guys contributing to the thread or chatting ? undecided undecided
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by Sista(f): 1:07am On Apr 23, 2007
Honestly, don't blame Oprah.

Nigerias image was already ruined before her show aired.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by kya(f): 1:10am On Apr 23, 2007
I am just finding out how widespread these scams are today. You think that you could never fall victim to such a crime and then there you are at the hands of a Nigerian. Which is what brought me here today.  I don't want to believe, but I think my Mr. Loverman is after more then just to get in my pants.  We met on a dating service (he is Yoruba) and it didn't take long for me to fall head over heels in love with him, and he confess his love 4 me too, um mm.  We talk several times every day on IM chat with webcam and by telephone, he is currently living in London. First, I thought it was green card he was after, but after about two months he has finally asked me to send him money (small amount) because of hard times. I don't want to doubt him, but it started making me feel suspicious. Just  a few days ago he asked for more, this time a larger amount so he can move closer (Canada) to be near me. I have been avoiding him for 2 days.  I really feel a lot of energy and compassion with this man, but maybe that is part of the wooing game of romance scams.  I'm confused and would not want to call him out on this. This kind of stereotyping is seriously affecting the image of all Nigerians innocent or not.
 kiss   kiss   undecided
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by Sista(f): 1:28am On Apr 23, 2007
@Kya

Image or no image, no woman should be sending a man she does not know money. From what I know of Nigerian men, the ones who are not scammers that is, they wouldn't dare ask a woman for money, it's just not in their character. You sent him enough, don't send him anything else. If he lives in London, he can do better at getting a job there than he can do back home in Nigeria. I suspect the man is definitely scamming you, please, for your own sake and the sake of your bank account, don't send him anymore money and I hope he doesn't have any of your personal information.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by 9ja4eva: 1:36am On Apr 23, 2007
@Sista

Nice advice.Be careful oh.Why shld he be asking someone he has nt met for money?D handwriting is on the wall so read it and act fast.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by samsilo(m): 3:45am On Apr 23, 2007
Instead of insulting each others tribes I believe people on this forum especially those abroad can help personally to stop the bad impression about Nigerians.
I and my friends cannot count the number of times we have seen Nigerians in public on buses ,trains etc being loud and saying thing things they should not be discussing in public(e.g how to work without "papers"wink
I have had many arguments with people about the inferiority complex that makes blacks, not only Nigerians to bling up just to show they have made it.
We need to tell people the true situation of things overseas i.e how hard you have to work to get paid, instead of packing all the cheap jeans, T shirts and knock off designer goods home to show off when on holiday.
Some problems are beyond us on a personal level.A system where there are no jobs,where people get rich overnight by hitting one contract or knowing somebody.A society where achievements without material gain is seen as wortless,the list is endless.
For those blaming Oprah and the victims of 419, do you know how many people get 419 mails daily in Europe and the US? Do you also realise it is very annoying and its a sort of invasion of privacy to find that crap in your inbox almost daily.
The victims of 419 may be greedy but the lure of easy profit is very tempting and they may plead entrapment.
If all Nigerians could behave the way my father taught me to ,which is simply the fact that I don't give a S**T about what anybody has or how rich you are but seek my own path in life.the country would be a better place.
That's why I hate OVATION magazine with a passion.

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26)

Biafra: Avengers Issues Last Warning To Seven Governors / Fayose Hops On A Motorcycle For A Ride To The State Government's House / Oluremi Tinubu Visits Aisha Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.