Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,928 members, 7,828,223 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:43 AM

Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! - Politics (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! (46348 Views)

Pic: Little Girl Who Was Badly Burnt During Boko Haram Attack To Get Plastic Sur / How I Was Badly Treated After A Near Death Experience In An Ex-ministers Hotel / I'm Not Corrupt, I Pleaded Guilty To Save Nigeria's Image – Ibori (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by cuteass1(f): 5:52pm On Apr 17, 2007
Planner:

Hi everyone,

I hate the igboman. He is a thief. he is the casue of our problem. Abacha was an igboman who changed his name to hausa. Babangida is an igboman. If we as other nigerians can kill all the igbo people in this country then our problems will be solved. WE will have electric power 24 hours a day.  The day we will kill all igbo people crime will vanish. Wickedness in high and low places will no longer exist.  Nigeria will become industrialied.

Finally, when we kill all igbo people God almighty will be very happy with us and He will reward  all of us with Heaven. Listen up Igbo haters!

*clapping in impression*

this is by far the best post of the whole day. Kudos ooh . . i love you already kiss

infact sef, not only Nigeria, the whole world is in a mess because of the sins of igbos yea right *sighs* angry RUBBISH igbos this, igbos that angry
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by jockey112(m): 5:54pm On Apr 17, 2007
@ BINTIKENYA

am glad you kind of have a bit of knowledge about our country and glad you said we are honest people i cant remember the last time i heard that about my country.its very encouraging.if you dont mind could you tell me which country you are from and which country you at the moment.cheers
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by honeric01(m): 6:45pm On Apr 17, 2007
Lets us all think issue in a two way type, fraud, coveteousness and exploitation are all from the same parent, the white coverted and exploited our land and now the smart in a negative way nigerians are now going back to them to show them how it feels when you are cheated and exploited. uhm, i see this as something very funny and controversial, you see not only nigerians do this, alot of other black nations and white nations too do this, and then they push it down to nigeria as if we are the only ones in the world who has that kind of a head and heart to cheat and scam people. do you know that america today cheat other countries in an advance way? they shit, clean their ass and then they use part of the shit to rub other countires ass so that you think its that country that did that evil, you should all wake up and stop blaming eachother, no one wants to loose and when they do, they try all possible means to make themselves holy as if the criminal came in from the front door and then did them evil as if they didn't do anything, corruption happens between 2 people, i offer, you accept, if i offer and you reject, there is no way it can happen, LETS WAKE UP AND LET THE ONES THAT CAN DO POSITIVE THINGS THINK ABOUT HOW THEY WOULD MAKE POPLE BENEFIT FROM THEM.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by adconline(m): 7:13pm On Apr 17, 2007
planner @,
That was a really good one. "OPERATION TO EXTERMINATE ALL IGBOS" we need to talk to Sacha Baron Cohen "Borat" to make a movie about Igbos they way he did about Jews . So many were chanting kill the Jews unbeknownst to them that Borat was satirizing their actions

Jakumo@
There you go again, tactfully avoiding my question of your tribe and yet could spew hatred and ethnic phobia in your post.

Kenya poster @
You also need to familiarize yourself with more struggling Nigerians abroad. Separate Nigerian movies from realities, I don’t know the type of Nigerians you are hanging out with, but most of them do not even have an apartment. There are more UNsuccessful Nigerians abroad than successful ones. By the way I had a Kenyan friend who thought that every Nigerian stole oil money. I hope you are not one of them. There are more poor Nigerians than rich Nigerians. As per the sate of our country, most Nigerians detest the way things are going, but I did not notice that among my Kenyan friends. My best Kenyan friends always took me to cleaners on Nigeria issues until I was rescued by a Kenyan ally who stated that Kenya was equally corrupt. Kenya is as corrupt as Nigeria. I don’t know why African countries feel that they are better. I bet you can never hear Nigerians talk about African countries because there are so many things going on in their country, but it looks like African countries are so much fixated on Nigerians. I tell you something that Nigerians would not allow someone to rule them for about 24 yrs the way Arap Moi did. This holier than though attitude has got to stop. Pot calling kettle charcoal
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by Jakumo(m): 7:49pm On Apr 17, 2007
ADC why assume that I even belong to any tribe at all ?   I may simply be a person familiar enough with Nigerian culture to feel I can make constructive contributions to this discussion of 419 fraud. 

I again ask that you do not take my word on the percentage of 419 con men that are from a particular geographic area of Nigeria.  Listen if you would to the voice mail tapes accumulated in the audio archives at 419 eater.com.   All of those tapes are the voices of desperate 419 men trying to lure victims into paying advance fees for fictitious windfalls.

If you are sufficiently attuned to the nuances of spoken  English pronunciation as it varies across Nigeria's major ethnic groups, then you will draw the same conclusion that I did after listening to a large number of such voice mail tapes both at 419eater.com and other similar "scam baiting" websites devoted to frustrating the efforts of internet advanced fee fraud practitioners.    The conclusion you will draw will of course be that most if not all of the recorded phone calls were in fact placed by native speakers of the Igbo language, albeit phoning in from all corners of the globe.

ADC you have expressed some of the most eloquently presented arguments I have read in the Nairaland forums, but I do feel the accusation of ethnic bigotry and hate mongering leveled at me in your last post is both harsh and undeserved since I have not manufactured the facts that I reference vis-a-vis Igbo involvement in 419 - facts which are publicly available for scrutiny in the audio archive at the 419eater website.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by McKren(m): 8:24pm On Apr 17, 2007
ADC why assume that I even belong to any tribe at all ? I may simply be a person familiar enough with Nigerian culture to feel I can make constructive contributions to this discussion of 419 fraud

Should that be considered a flat denial?
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by Jakumo(m): 8:33pm On Apr 17, 2007
A denial of guilt with regards to which particular offense would we be talking about here, McKren ? Did I miss something ?
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by luckyCO(m): 8:42pm On Apr 17, 2007
I guess some people never understand what human being and reason for being created are as against tribe. The truth must be told regardless of tribe. The act is bad regardless of tribe. Again I believe who is posting anything against a particular tribe should be very carefull with it such not to potray tribal hatred. I read post made by AMOT1 who said that Yoruba people are saying they will not vote 4 ibo almost everybody attacked the person regardless of the trying to seek/read meaning in what they person said. Now it is turn of Ibo almost everybody condemn the act without verifying whether those names are real Ibos or not. They whole response here sound like; just bring them and kill them they are all criminals. Fear them anywhere you see them, they are all evil does and never associate with them they are all money lovers and they don't have any good thin in them from my own opinion. So I suggest that this is a bad post.
Why because people's response centered only attacking a particular tribe without finding a way out of the yahoo yahoo and again nobody has taken time to study why such people are involving into such act if really they are and find a possible way of helping them.

If Nigeria must exist we must help one another regardless of tribe, see one another's beter aspect of life and allow them to perform through that angle. There is no tribe in Nigeria that is better than they other. The only thing maybe that a particular tribe is bigger in number,In army,Education,Holding power,Various better offices etc but not better that the other.

This is my humble opinion.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by CrudeOil2(m): 8:54pm On Apr 17, 2007
Tribalistic bastards are just replying this thread and insulting the igbos.The president of this country is yoruba man,all he does is eat crude oil money and share it to his yoruba brothers.why cant you report him to EFCC.it is a yahoo boy who is struggling to survive you want kill.
Bastards!
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by Jakumo(m): 8:59pm On Apr 17, 2007
Thank you for sharing your angst, Crude Oil. Always good to get things off one's chest.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by superman(m): 9:19pm On Apr 17, 2007
attention

[b]FROM NOW ON WARDS BEFORE ANY BODY MAKE A MOVE PLS EMM STATE WHAT TRIBE U FROM!

COURSE U MIGHT BE ONE OF THEM YAHOO BOYS ? JUST JOKIN, WELL NOT TOO SURE

STILL ME[/b]
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by Sista(f): 1:17am On Apr 18, 2007
@BINTIKENTYA

The spending habits you described seems to belong to all black people, not just Nigerians. I think it is a way for black people to try and fit in with what they perceive as making it to the top, once you have made it, you are supposed to have the items which show you have something, at least that is what black people seem to think. Any way, it is very much so back ward thinking. You don't get thousands and then go backwards by spending thousands. Black people need to learn how to make the money and not let them money make them.

@Honeric01

Lets us all think issue in a two way type, fraud, coveteousness and exploitation are all from the same parent, the white coverted and exploited our land and now the smart in a negative way nigerians are now going back to them to show them how it feels when you are cheated and exploited. uhm, i see this as something very funny and controversial, you see not only nigerians do this, alot of other black nations and white nations too do this, and then they push it down to nigeria as if we are the only ones in the world who has that kind of a head and heart to cheat and scam people. do you know that america today cheat other countries in an advance way? they shit, clean their ass and then they use part of the shit to rub other countires ass so that you think its that country that did that evil, you should all wake up and stop blaming eachother, no one wants to loose and when they do, they try all possible means to make themselves holy as if the criminal came in from the front door and then did them evil as if they didn't do anything, corruption happens between 2 people, i offer, you accept, if i offer and you reject, there is no way it can happen, LETS WAKE UP AND LET THE ONES THAT CAN DO POSITIVE THINGS THINK ABOUT HOW THEY WOULD MAKE POPLE BENEFIT FROM THEM.

You are absolutely right. As a matter a fact, I think this is all a set up for Nigerians. I wouldn't be surprised if there are plans for the American government to attack Nigerians in effort to take over the oil. Putting Nigerians in the news as bad people is probably fuel for the fire which will begin once the American government wants to justify a reason to occupy Nigerian land and again, in effort to steal the oil those Nigerians seem to take advantage of and don't seem to manage well.

Ha, ha, ha, Can you imagine that? All the tribalism taking place in this topic. I can see it now. America goes to war with Nigeria, they steal the oil and all Nigerians can do after that is resort to pointing fingers at this tribe or that tribe, Nigerians would be even more intelligent then, don't you think?

@adconline
I bet you can never hear Nigerians talk about African countries because there are so many things going on in their country, but it looks like African countries are so much fixated on Nigerians. I tell you something that Nigerians would not allow someone to rule them for about 24 years the way Arap Moi did. This holier than though attitude has got to stop. Pot calling kettle charcoal

What a blanket statment,

Are you serious? Nigerians (Not all of them) speak harshly of Ghana and South Africa all the time. All African tribes have something to say about another African tribe in another country, no tribe is innocent when it comes to this, not even Nigerians. The whole of Africa is doing bad and even though South Africa is somewhat close to having the same economics as America, still, Black South Africans are doing bad as well. The childish finger pointing has got to stop, you do know that everyone sees black people as little children who can't take care of their self and it's not difficult to see why, just read this topic from the beginning and you will see.

As far as Nigeria not allowing anyone to rule them for about 24 years, please, are you still kidding? You have to be.

Why does it matter how many years one part of Africa was ruled over in comparison to how many years another part of Africa was ruled? Bottom line, the entire continent of Africa was ruled by outsiders, all of Africa.

I don't care if one part was ruled over for less years, Africa was entirely ruled over by outsiders, what a pity. You are being subtle with your tribalism but you don't fool me. Either you want unity amongst Africans or you don't. Stop pointing your tiny little finger because what you are doing is old and what you are doing needs to stop. Trust me, finger pointing is not making Nigeria look better to it's people or to the outsiders who are looking in.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by 9ja4eva: 1:43am On Apr 18, 2007
@Sista

How r u today?Did u watch Oprah show today?
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by star01(m): 1:44am On Apr 18, 2007
nope son, did you?

howz ur day 2day?
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by BINTIKENYA: 2:38am On Apr 18, 2007
@jockey 112
am from kenya,living in USA.

@ADCON
And as for kenya being as corrupt as Nigeria,NOT A CHANCE!!Especially not at the individual level,we are just too contented with enough,I have heard your people  refer to this as TIMID. We don't overdo stuff,we have a very high percentage of us returning home after just a few years abroad to rebuild our country-we love people and we host alot of our neighbours at war.Lots of Nigerians are settled in kenya too.     
As for Arap Moi ruling for soo long,that does not prove your leadership better than ours.So you wont allow one to rule for soo long,lets see the good fruits you bear.IT IS NOT THE WHO BUT THE HOW.
You R right about the poor ones living abroad and thats Y i dont understand Y they spend so lavishly.PRAY FOR WISDOM,MONEY WILL FOLLOW
I have been abroad for 6 years now and I  leave for home at the end of the year.
I AM GOING TO IMPLEMENT ALL I HAVE LEARNT HERE,CREATE JOBS FOR MY PEOPLE AND BUILD MY NATION.
We the young turks must return home and take over from the old folks.We have alot of acquired knowledge to teach back home.
So lets stop working too hard to get the G-CARD and be patriotic to our own heritage!Go home and rebuid your nation guys!QUIT COMPLAINING
Lets create a good enviroment for our future generations!
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by 9ja4eva: 2:41am On Apr 18, 2007
star01:

nope son, did you?

howz your day 2day?

Gd oh.Yeah i did.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by star01(m): 6:14am On Apr 18, 2007
but i have not had time to see the clip thou, wat time is the show sef?
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by Sista(f): 6:15am On Apr 18, 2007
@BINTIKENYA

@ADCON
And as for kenya being as corrupt as Nigeria,NOT A CHANCE!!Especially not at the individual level,we are just too contented with enough,I have heard your people refer to this as TIMID. We don't overdo stuff,we have a very high percentage of us returning home after just a few years abroad to rebuild our country-we love people and we host alot of our neighbours at war.Lots of Nigerians are settled in kenya too.
As for Arap Moi ruling for soo long,that does not prove your leadership better than ours.So you wont allow one to rule for soo long,lets see the good fruits you bear.IT IS NOT THE WHO BUT THE HOW.
You R right about the poor ones living abroad and thats Y i don't understand Y they spend so lavishly.PRAY FOR WISDOM,MONEY WILL FOLLOW
I have been abroad for 6 years now and I leave for home at the end of the year.
I AM GOING TO IMPLEMENT ALL I HAVE LEARNT HERE,CREATE JOBS FOR MY PEOPLE AND BUILD MY NATION.
We the young turks must return home and take over from the old folks.We have alot of acquired knowledge to teach back home.
So lets stop working too hard to get the G-CARD and be patriotic to our own heritage!Go home and rebuid your nation guys!QUIT COMPLAINING
Lets create a good enviroment for our future generations!

Nice post and I have to say, I have met many Kenyan folk and I have never experienced any negativity with them, they always have something good to say about Kenya. For the most part, they seem to be a united people and I don't mean untied only for the purposes of of rivaling tribalism.

@9ja4eva

Hi sister, I had good day today, can't complain, how about you, how was your day? have you been good? kiss

Didn't get a chance to watch Oprah, why, what's up?
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by 9ja4eva: 6:17am On Apr 18, 2007
Oh okay.Am gd oh.Had a gr8 day too.They were taking on Hip Hop oh.Dey said it doesnt represent women well and as a matter of fact most black women get insulted n bla.Do u really think Hip Hop gives people like Don Imus the right to make racist comments?
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by Sista(f): 6:53am On Apr 18, 2007
@9ja4eva

Hell no it doesn't give Don Imus the right to make racist remarks.

White people will tell you that it was your own people who sold you into slavery when you tell them of how they enslaved you. what is that to say? Is it to say that because your own people(Africans) did not want you, it was then okay for us(White people) to enslave you?

White people will tell you they were not the only ones who had slaves, what they are indirectly saying is, Africans had slaves as well. Did Africans go to Europe to steal or barter for white slaves? The answer is no and even if they did have slaves in their own country, did that give white people the right to come and also have African slaves? The answer is no.

If I am spanking my child, that does not give any stranger the right to come and also spank my child. Do you understand what I am saying?

Don Imus, if he thinks it sounds cute when he hears black people call each other names that he wants to try it out on his wife or children, that would be his and his family's business but when he thinks he can justify calling it to my people because they do it to their self, he is just looking for a justifiable reason to publicly be the racist that he is.

It is not racist for a black man to call a black woman a "nappy head ho" but it sure is stupid.

For a white man to refer to a black woman as a "nappy head ho" it is down right racist. wink

What do you think? and be honest. grin
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by 9ja4eva: 7:20am On Apr 18, 2007
I go with u too.I really do not think the fuse about Hip Hop is the problem like the guests on Oprah show said.He was wrong and it shld not be taken lightly.Blacks made America and dey shld be given same respect.Do u feel me?
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by mrmetoo(m): 7:31am On Apr 18, 2007
@BITIKENYA

Please lets not go there about comparing countries. As much as I agree with some of the things you said I disagree with most. Nigerians without a doubt are very materialistic and have this "TYPE A" personality but the thing about spending your whole pay check to buy an item is simply not as general and rampant among Nigerians as you claim. Nigerians love "living the good life" but most of the ones that live that kind of life are successful already. The ones that are "not there yet" work their asses off so that they can get there (I'm sure thats not a crime) thats the reason u meet Nigerians everywhere, we strive for success because we know the kind of life we want to live unfortunately some others turn to crime which is applicable to all nations of the world. You also mentioned that Kenyans tend to go back and rebuild their country as if Nigerians don't do that. In 2006 alone $7.7b was remitted into the country by Nigerians abroad, if thats not rebuilding the country then I don't know what is. Not to talk of Nigerians that return every year to invest in the country. I have to agree with an earlier post that mentions that every other African nation has something to say about Nigeria(ns). Well I guess its because Nigeria is a huge factor in Africa maybe even the world and if there is one good thing Nigeria is known for is our huge involvement in peace-keeping around our beloved continent contributing both human and material resources. The country is grossly corrupt but Nigerians are hard workers thats the reason we survive and are successful

P.S. - I know Kenyans that have been here longer than I have and are not planning to go back anytime soon. (Not trying to start anything but there were so many inaccurate points you raised about my people)
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by adconline(m): 7:54am On Apr 18, 2007
@sista
If a Ghanaian talks about his/her country, most Nigerians will not join and say that Ghana is really bad because we have the same situation in Nigeria, but if a Nigerian talks bad about his country, fellow Africans will follow suit and beat up Nigeria. I had a Somalian who told me that it was cool to kill and burn down houses in his country but so un-cool for Nigeria to be corrupt. Not that I am saying that corruption should thrive in Nigeria. Here is another example; Liberia got into a civil war, Nigeria went in and sank billions of dollars to restores peace. No economic or political interests attached, but Ex-Liberian president, Charles Taylor hated Nigerians with a passion, he glorified in capturing and killing Nigerians most of whom were journalists. Nigeria helped Liberia return to democracy and Charles Taylor became president and he went back to his old ways of doing things. When the world said no to his government, he sought for asylum in Nigeria. ie use me and dump me. Liberians even killed Nigerians. This is the same thing with Sierra Leone

@kenyaposter
I don’t want Nigeria to be like Kenya because there is no difference between the two. The same way a Kenyan will not believe a Nigerian who is preaching against corruption is the same way I will see a Kenyan who is anti corruption in Nigeria. I want Nigeria to fight corruption like Botswana and South Africa. When we talk about Nigerians let’s be holistic. Let us talk about a Nigerian whose company was profiled in FORBES Magazine as #272 American Largest 400 private companies since Oprah did not say that. His company is the 2nd largest minority business in America. Let’s talk about a Nigerian who designed latest GM electric car – The Volt. Let’s talk about faceless, nameless and struggling Nigerians. When we talk about Nigeria let us remember that two states in Nigeria are more populous than Kenya. So even if 50 % of Nigerians are bad, it still means that 70 millions Nigerians are good .ie two times the size of Kenya. Do Colombians get beaten up for all American drug problems? How many times has Queen Oprah done a show on South American drug lords? How many times has Oprah done a show on the plight of women in Saudi Arabia or Islamofascism? Only TI has got the indices to measure corruption and Kenya measures in the lowest percentile like Nigeria. You are back at it again always proclaiming self-righteousness. Your country is better than mine. It does not make any difference that Anti corruption Czar , Mr John Githongo, in your country fled to UK. Neither does it make a difference that Barack Obama's camera men were extorted by Kenyan police. If you like keep wallowing in the notion that Kenya is better Nigeria. Kenya is only one country ahead of Nigerian in TI's ranking. It’s high time you guys started talking about your issues.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/21/biz_06privates_Camac--International_NG9G.html

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/management/2007-01-08-entre-lawal_x.htm
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-38880.0.html

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0781359.html
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by chrisokw: 8:04am On Apr 18, 2007
The Terrorist Connection vs. The Real 419 Scammers

419 Scams - The Real Scammers

The Motivation Behind 419 Scams Will the 419 Sanction Threat Work?
Nigeria; capitol: Abuja; location: West African coast.Adaora Reports

Monday, November 16, 2002
The Terrorist Connection vs. the Real 419 Scammers

Moslem North not involved The Southern elite • The real reason

behind Nigerian scam letters

There has been some speculation in the western media about the destination of money acquired from 419 advanced fee scams. Among some of the wild theories put forward by some analysts is the terrorist connection. This is not only far-fetched but highly unlikely. The background and most importantly religion of the perpetrators make this connection improbable. At least in Nigeria.

Although this type of crime originated in Nigeria, it has now spread to many other countries in various forms but the objective remains the same - to relieve the victim of money without giving anything in return. Some of those operating from other African countries are identified as Nigerians because they carry Nigerian passports. It is not very difficult to obtain this document for the right 'fee'.

Moslem North not involved

To explain the improbability of Nigerian 419 scammers funding terrorism I would go into the make up of the country. Nigeria has over 120 million inhabitants spread over 36 States and a Federal Capital Territory (Abuja). It has over 250 ethnic groups and about the same number of dialects. The three main tribes are Hausa/Fulani (Moslems) in the North, Igbo (Christians) in the Southeast and Yoruba (mainly Christians) in the Southwest.

The Hausa/Fulani Moslems of Northern Nigeria are largely backward economically, educationally, infrastructurally, industrially. Although there is universal free education in the country, they rarely complete elementary school and will more often than not send their children to Arabic schools to study the Koran instead. Most follow the strict Islamic code of Sharia that espouses amputation of limbs for stealing and the stoning of women to death for committing adultery. Women are subjugated and do not have the same rights as men.

The Southern elite

In the South the picture is a stark opposite. The Igbos are the most educated in Nigeria and are known for their aggressive entrepreneurial endeavors. They bore the full brunt of the 1967-1970 Nigeria civil war when the entire southeast was raised to the ground by the Nigerian army. Within 8 years of the war ending everything was rebuilt and they continue to prosper. The Yorubas follow very closely behind the Igbos. They are mostly academicians and have excelled in various fields.

The majority of the 419 scammers come from the Southeastern/ southsouthern/ Southwestern of Nigeria. It is very difficult to say precisely why. One theory is that the sheer complexity, audacity and 'intelligence' required to plan and execute this crime is way beyond the faculties of the illiterate Northerners.

The real reason behind Nigerian scam letters

Poverty is not the reason why people indulge in 419 because a large percentage of them are already wealthy in their own right (not through 419). They employ people to scam for them while using their legitimate business as a front. Lower down the ladder, you get the newly qualified professionals who are caught up in the 'get rich quick syndrome' pervading southern Nigeria in current times. This group would rather wait for the maturity of one scam than work their way up the employment ladder.

Why do they do it, I hear you ask? Because the input is miniscule and the returns astronomical. If a scammer sends out 2000 letters or emails, with a response of 1% or lower, s/he has hit the JACKPOT!!! As long as some greedy individuals continue to respond, they will stay in business as they are always one step ahead of they law.

The money from these crimes finance mainly drug trafficking, mistresses, property, exotic cars. It is all about ostentation, ostentation and more ostentation. There is a story about one of them that had so many cars that his palatial mansion resembled a car dealership. His wife use to drive a car to color co-ordinate what she was wearing. If she drove a different car everyday it would take over six months to drive all the cars.

There certainly is no terrorist connection. The religion of the perpetrators make it highly improbable. Even if there were Northern Nigerian advanced fee fraudsters (which is doubtful), their fanaticism is not sophisticated. The typical Nigerian is too selfish for that kind of sponsorsh
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by uchetobi(f): 8:15am On Apr 18, 2007
sad
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by YangaRat: 8:47am On Apr 18, 2007
You no see trouble again ?  See how as them dey ask why Oprah Winfrey no gree discuss Columbia drug seller and Saudi Islamic terrorist them.  Why una still dey try to play all this diversion cunny system instead of to face the main Nigeria 419 matter wey dey ground ?

For those Alice in Wonderland grammar people wey still dey point finger to another country say them too get criminal, make I remind una say NOBODY CARE at all whettin dey happen for another country wey no get DIRECT EFFECT for them everyday life.

Person wey no dey shak cocaine nogo dey abuse Columbia cocaine supplier say them product dey kill others.   Person wey no plan to step Saudi nogo worry whether Saudi people be fundamentalist or pagan.  Person wey no plan to go live for Kenya nogo worry whether na 50 years or 100 years them president kak seat jeje for power, dey chop them money all.

The reason why 419 matter dey cause kata-kata worldwide be say the system of teef wey them dey teef been dey affect EVERY PERSON FOR THIS WORLD WEY HIM COMPUTER LINK FOR INTERNET. 

So make we try to forget Columbia, Saudi, and other country wey them matter no concern the world like 419.   All that kind argument na for just to take smoke and noise cover the real matter wey dey important to the whole internet world, and dat one be this very 419 matta wey be say na only Nigeria boys them dey do am, dey take am condemn ALL them countryman as teef and wayo people.

Monkey no fine - But him mama love am
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by ono(m): 10:37am On Apr 18, 2007
Rat,
Abeg go siddon!

Read this site make you know wetin dey happen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_fraud#Geographic_origin

Anybody who falls for internet scams must have gotten his/her wealth in a questionable way. Read up and know that most victims are the people who wants to make easy and fast  wealth. I just can't believe that with the kind of awareness and the speed with which information is disseminated worldwide about scams, some people still have the time and energy to waste precious money on useless swindlers. After their ordeal, they go to shows like that of Oprah to show how stupid and gullible they are. They then expect us to sympathise with them and learn from their ''mistake''. Idiots. They're on their own. Nobody, I repeat nobody can swindle me of my well earned money with my eyes wide open. No matter the level of sophistication these thieves adopt, they can never scam me of my hard earned money.

That said, what's amazing here is how some ethnic bigots accuse the igbos of ''tarnishing the image of Nigeria''. Some even want them killed. Na wah o! I'm Isoko by ethnic, from the core Niger Delta, and I tell you all that if we continue with this kind of hatred for one another, we're sure heading for doom! We leave the real crux of the matter here, and are chasing shadows. Some outsiders, non-Nigerians are condeming Nigeria, and all we can do is to blame our fellow country men. This is one of the reasons why we cannot develop and progress in this country

I want everyone who have posted some form of demeaning statements against the Igbo's on this thread to tender an unreserved apology for causing these people emotional harm and pain.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by honeric01(m): 12:36pm On Apr 18, 2007
i think we are still in a state of confusion, why must we point fingers at each other? well let those that believe in that keep pointing even when it is not helping matters. as for Oprah, do you know she is a lost african that has refused to trace back her heritage, instead insult and downgrade her heritage? i have never listened to Oprah and hear her say anything good about Africa as a whole. she is a big and total disgrace to all africa, what has she contributed to this same africa she is keen on disgracing and insulting? you can be rich and at the same time not be useful to the world, she keeps spending what she has within the rich circle. i don't blame her, she calls africa, GOD FORSAKING CONTINENT. and now you aspect good words from her? too bad, she even said in one of her shows that africa is where all dieases came from, i wish i could kill her, well i don't have the power but i know she has someone to answer to once she is dead like any other man or woman on planet earth with no kobo taken with her on the journey.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by chet(m): 1:23pm On Apr 18, 2007
It is only a greedy man that falls prey to another greedy man. Those people for yankee wey dey condemn Nigeria, na the same dem dey look for where dem go chop easily, in the process, fall prey to these fraudsters.
The only place I pity them is when the innocent ones fall victim to credit card thiefs.
But all thesame, we should not put the blame on Ibo boys alone. Most of the yahoo-yahoo guys i've come across are not even Ibo.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by chrisokw: 3:12pm On Apr 18, 2007
PM NEWS

Conman Takes Igando, Ikotun Residents For A Ride
By: admin

Published: 2007/4/18 - Read 129 times Article Rated: 0.00

(0 votes)
Printer Friendly Page Tell a Friend

By Debo Adejayan

Residents of Ikotun and Igando areas of Lagos will for a long time remember Isiaka Adewale Yusuf, a notorious smooth-talking con man who swindled them of their hard-earned money.

The suspected swindler, also known as Dr. Yusuf, a Yoruba and an indigene of Osun State, was said to have duped over 10,000 people in Igando and Ikotun areas.

Dr. Yusuf operated behind the facade of being an agent for the United Nations recommended Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) meant to eradicate poverty.

He founded an unregistered Non-Government Organisation (NGO), he called Group Of Concerned Nigerians On MDGS.

The suspected fraudster went from house to house to canvass for membership of his phony NGO. He promised that the organisation would give each member a soft loan which would be paid back in nine months’ time with 10% interest.

According to him, collateral security was not a requirement for getting the loan.

Yusuf claimed that he had sponsors like Alhaji Aliko Dangote, Dr. Femi Otedola, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, Alhaji Olanihun and others. Expectedly, not a few were convinced by Yusuf’s smooth talk as so many people became members of the group. The number was so large that the group was divided into 25 zones.

Each member was required to obtain a membership form for N1,500. Another N1,500 was used to obtain insurance form. Each member was also told to procure an identity card for N500. In all, Yusuf collected N3,300 from each member, although the amount varied slightly from zone to zone.

The arrangement Yusuf had with his enthusiastic followers was that those in the first batch would be issued a cheque for N100,000 each on 29 September, 2004. But when the day came, nobody got a dime.

However, the smart swindler told them that the sponsors of the programme postponed the issuance of cheques for security reasons. He told the hapless people that besieged his temporary office at 10, Adebola Arowele Street, Ikotun, to meet their zonal co-ordinators the following week for their cheques.

It was learnt that up till now, nobody has got anything. Those who went to challenge him were threatened with death. A lot of them had to forgo the money Yusuf had collected from them. But few among them were bold enough to lodge a complaint at Igando Police Station.

The policemen there swung into action but Yusuf had bolted. The police arrested his wife, Rashidat, and detained her for days with the hope that Yusuf would appear. But the suspect refused to show up. Rashidat was thus released.

Some of the residents who were duped by the fleeing con man have vowed to deal ruthlessly with him if he is seen in the vicinity.

Yusuf, whom Mid-Week Crime Diary learnt had once operated in Ibadan, Oyo State and Lawanson in Lagos State, is still at large.

Rashidat, his wife and mother of two sons, who works as an auxiliary nurse in a private hospital in Surulere, expressed regret over her husband’s criminal ways.

She said she married Yusuf eight years ago and had been urging him to desist from his dubious ways but he had always shouted at her to shut up.

One of the victims, Chief Wasiu Iponri Ihu, a traditional ruler, said he was surprised that Yusuf could dupe him. He said that Yusuf even made him convince about 25 people to join the NGO.

He urged the police to help recover his money, documents and passport photographs of himself and other people.

Some of the appointed zonal co-ordinators also told Mid-Week Crime Diary that they felt cheated. One of them, Mudashiru Bakare of Egan zone 1Q, had over 500 members in his zone.

Others are Mrs. Giwa of Egan Zone, Mrs. Iyabo Abatan of Egan Zone 3 and Mr. Amoo Fatai of Iba Zone.

A zonal co-ordinator, known as Mama Blessing said, “Dr. Yusuf collected N40,000 from members of my zone and now they have been asking me to refund the money. I can no longer do my petty trading business with ease. I have been duped by this devil called Dr. Yusuf. I and my children are finding it difficult to feed."

One of the policemen at Igando police station expressed his shock at the reports he got about Yusuf. He also berated him for abandoning his wife.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by Jakumo(m): 3:27pm On Apr 18, 2007
Opray Winfrey has quietly sunk several million dollars of her own money into a number of girls schools in South Africa, and also made substantial donations to various organizations involved in the treatment and prevention AIDS in sub Shahran Africa, so she does not qualify as a hater of Africa by any stretch of the imagination.

Chances are that Oprah has herself been the target of numerous[i] bogus [/i] appeals for charitable donations, due to her known philanthropic gestures in Africa, and may thus have come into contact with more than a fair share of con-men that turned out to be Nigerian.   Regardless of whether this conjecture is true, Oprah Winfrey has put her money where her mouth is with respect to Africa, so that gives her a certain moral authority to comment on some of the aspects of Africa that she finds distasteful, such as Nigerian 419.

All those fuming at Oprah's coverage of Nigerian internet fraud ought to go ahead and retaliate by airing a program about junkies, welfare cheats, crack dealers and muggers on the mean streets of American cities.  This effort would go a long way to consoling offended Nigerians by reminding them that there are also dishonest and amoral folks right there in Oprah's American back yard, and that only a sub-minority of them speak with Nigerian accents.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by ogechi84(f): 3:30pm On Apr 18, 2007
Crime : Bad Day For Yahoo Boys
Posted by admin on 2006/8/22 10:10:44 (883 reads)
By Nehru Odeh

For Mutiu Owotutu and Francis Adesanlu, 22 July 2006 was a day that unfathomably went awry. As they were feverishly brainstorming on what to do with the Sony DSC 193 digital camera they had swindled one Caroline Benson of, via the internet, they were arrested by the police. Their troubles started when Owotutu, putting his computer skills to use, exploited a loophole in e-commerce, known in common parlance as ready-to-buy.

Caroline Benson, who resides in the Netherlands, had bought, via the internet, a digital camera for her son in Nigeria. While it was supposed to be shipped to the country, payment would be effected through internet money transfer. But Owotutu illegally altered the delivery address of the consignment to one Larry Demola at 59 Alafia Road, Mokola, Ibadan. Aware that the consignment had been shipped to Demola through the United Parcel Service, UPS, Owotutu hastened to collect it. But he could not provide any evidence to prove that he paid for the camera, which he claimed he had bought.

However, when the overseas seller of the camera saw that his account had not been credited, he reported the case to the Interpol. Describing Oyo State as a haven of cyber crime, the Interpol contacted the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Sunday Ehindero, who in turn intimated the Oyo State Commissioner of Police (CP) with facts of the matter. “This really disturbed us because we know that we are not so much involved in this hi-tech crime,” the CP said, while briefing newsmen. According to the CP, a police surveillance team swooped on the crime base of Demola and arrested two female residents. The information extracted from them aided Demola’s arrest and the subsequent recovery of the camera. Owotutu and Adesanya were later arrested. “Though these boys may look dull and unintelligent, we must accept the fact that they are matchless when it comes to hi-tech crimes,” the police boss said.

Branding them intercontinental internet fraudsters, the CP said the suspects had used their internet wizardry to dupe unsuspecting “wise men” in the United States, Netherlands and Nigeria before they were rounded up by the monitoring unit of the Oyo State Police Command. Owotutu, a product of Ladokun Community Grammar School in Ibadan, has confessed to the crime. “I just used my computer knowledge to browse the Internet. I stumbled on the information and I played a fast one on the owner of the Sony brand of digital camera,” he told TheNEWS.

He blamed the downturn in the nation’s economy for his foray into crime. “You know it is not easy to live in Nigeria. One has to make ends meet. So I spent a lot of time browsing the Internet. This is why I have a vast knowledge of it,” he said. In the course of investigating the case, the police, acting on intelligence report, went in search of other yahoo boys in Ibadan and arrested two suspects identified as Taofeek Adegoke, 17, and Deji Olajide, 27. Using the same method as Owotutu, they had received three cartoons of brand new DVD sets. Asked why they participated in such a crime, Olajide told TheNEWS that he was only trying his luck, while a reticent Adegoke denied involvement in any crime.

FlatThreadedNested Oldest FirstNewest First

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25)

Buhari Owes Igbos Nothing, Junaid Tells Ezeife / Soldiers Punishing A Civilian In Public (Pictures) / Peter Obi Had Breakfast In Toronto, Canada With OBIdient Family (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.