Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,490 members, 7,823,152 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:34 AM

Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? (52168 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? / What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? / Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 1:18am On Dec 10, 2018
yemi15:

Thank you! Part of the privileged few we are talking about smh
imagine davido preaching to a molue bus driver"s son that hw can make it in this kuntry..lol.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 1:21am On Dec 10, 2018
softandmoist:

You may never be able to even travel. Because you're not sure what the aviation industry is going to strike about tomorrow.
You can't be sure that when you have a knife cut, that tetanus injection you're getting isn't expired.
You can't really tell when your children will graduate because ASUU strike. If they do in record time from a private university, how do you know traveling on bad roads won't kill them?

You may get cancer from all the GMO Europe is dumping in Nigeria because NAFDAC, SON and the lot are busy with 'work'.

Do you really want to know why we leave?
So our children can have better opportunities.
We don't want them to write JAMB and PUTME and be denied admission they can get on merit.
We want to know that 911 can take our emergencies serious.
And as citizens of the country we immigrated to, we want to know our votes count.
Is that too much to ask??
he is a child of the priviledged so he wont understand what u tallking about.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by yemi15(m): 1:26am On Dec 10, 2018
lefulefu:
imagine davido preaching to a molue bus driver"s son that hw can make it in this kuntry..lol.

Abi o Smh
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by politicalpastor: 1:37am On Dec 10, 2018
Seriously. Am from de united states. The opportunities in America is enormous, the pay is good , unlike nigeria when you need a connection to get A petrol attendance or cleaning job. Life is better as illegal immigrants abroad than being a citizen in nigeria.

I have spoken to many chinese( age 20 to 30) they all seems to have very low education, some of them do not have degrees like us but they are making it big time in nigeria, even a north korea man i met in an exhibition in lagos is doing great here in nigeria.

But nigerians are trooping out of their country like nothing works in nigeria.[/quote]

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by gbollykore: 1:53am On Dec 10, 2018
What is your definition of making it?
Is it to have millions in the account or to have decent quality of life?
It's an individual thing
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by lindaayim(f): 2:09am On Dec 10, 2018
i agree with you life is better in terms of quality if you work hard and obey the law...and to cap it education
[quote author=politicalpastor post=73704790]Seriously. Am from de united states. The opportunities in America is enormous, the pay is good , unlike nigeria when you need a connection to get A petrol attendance or cleaning job. Life is better as illegal immigrants abroad than being a citizen in nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by lindaayim(f): 2:10am On Dec 10, 2018
[
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by error4040: 3:23am On Dec 10, 2018
here we Go again, Another LIFLESS thread From A LIFLESS citizen.
Mtchwwwwwwe!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Contumely: 3:42am On Dec 10, 2018
1kingwriter:
I laugh in Swahili!

A friend of mine, a nurse moved to USA 5 months ago. She got her first pay check last week having worked for a month. As a starter in nursing, she earns $15 hourly and works on the average 16 hours : 15×16 = 240
Daily earning - $240
Monthly earnings - $6000
$6000 × N365 = N2,190, 000.00

Here in Nigeria she earns about N48, 000 monthly as a nurse here before moving to US.

If you divide her monthly earning in the US with what she earned monthly while here in Nigeria, that will be about 4 years earnings.

With the above picture, going abroad has it.

Oponu

So you justed converted pounds to naira?
Does she pay house rents in naira?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Babyvet: 4:03am On Dec 10, 2018
1kingwriter:
I laugh in Swahili!

A friend of mine, a nurse moved to USA 5 months ago. She got her first pay check last week having worked for a month. As a starter in nursing, she earns $15 hourly and works on the average 16 hours : 15×16 = 240
Daily earning - $240
Monthly earnings - $6000
$6000 × N365 = N2,190, 000.00

Here in Nigeria she earns about N48, 000 monthly as a nurse here before moving to US.

If you divide her monthly earning in the US with what she earned monthly while here in Nigeria, that will be about 4 years earnings.

With the above picture, going abroad has it.

Something is very very off with your post and calculations. Is your friend RN or LPN?. $15/hr IS EXTREMELY LOW for a registered nurse, in fact its's below the national average of pay. To earn $6000 a month at that rate, she would have to work close to 100 hours a week which is not possible continuously. Please before you post on here, please do some fact checking.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Dedetwo(m): 4:09am On Dec 10, 2018
thebosstrevor:

The thing is this many of them came through construction projects financed by the chinese govt,they dont plan to live with us, after their contracts they go back home. Many of them are not immigrant like many of us but labourers employed by the chinese govt.during their short stay in our country,they tend to have understand our market,make cash and move on.

THe other chinese that remains in nigeria become FDI. THey build big businesses that employs hundreds of nigerians.

nigerians abroad are not FDI rather economy immigrant.

Just stop this ugly narrative. How many Nigerians were in oversea because Nigerian government financed construction projects? Most Nigerians overseas are progressing through their hard work without any form assistance from dumbass Nigerian government unlike the Chinese and Koreans in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Contumely: 4:17am On Dec 10, 2018
opebiboy:
I sell cars and I can tell you with all boldness that it is easier to make it in Nigeria than abroad. Why do people abroad keep on shipping cars and goods to Nigeria if it was that bad? Those who try to paint Nigeria in a badlight here havent gotten their feet wet yet. It is very possible to have eyes and yet still be blind

Why do you think so?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by ojlifa: 5:22am On Dec 10, 2018
Hustle well,make you travel after two years outside you go come back tell us your true opinion. As you no won learn from people when get experience, then you go learn the hard way

[q1uote author=milehigh06 post=73698389]

lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..who gave you this BS...[/quote]
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by homirefacuny(m): 5:33am On Dec 10, 2018
naunasabi:
@op why do Nigerians think it is all about money?

What about quality of life? Last time I checked the life expectancy in that shit-hole is around 50 years. Moving to country like Germany automatically increases your life expectancy by about 30 years on the average.

What about opportunity? Yes you can make money in Nigeria but then how much are we talking about? Being a middle class doesn't spare your children the horror of everyday life in Nigerian or how uncertain the future look. Unless you are among the top earners in Nigeria which will afford you the means to ship your children abroad for a better life. Which brings me back to the question if Nigeria is that great after making the money since that is your sole indicator of a wonderful life why don't you leave your kids in Nigeria instead of carting them away?

To the average man on the street, Nigeria is one of the worse place to be born and to live in. Go to the west the average man on the street has a prospect if they work towards it. In Nigeria working hard towards your goal doesn't cut it, you have to be very lucky and know people. I know that there are group of people that will counter this point but my question to those people is to compare the number of those that did it without knowing anyone with those that knew someone. While when you look at the west the element of luck and knowing someone is insignificant on how your life turns out.

@op you won't know the quality of life until you get home from work, flip the switch and there is power. Step into your tube and take a warm bath thereafter relax in your sofa without any worries of whether the power will be on when you wake up in the morning or if the tap will be running in the morning. You wont known the quality of life or what it really means to make it until you have emergency medical condition and all you need to do is dial emergency services and their will be medical personnel right there at your home to save your life.

Even in your so called money haven- even if you managed to amass a lot of money when you have medical emergency the service you will get is a far cry from a decent one. I forgot all your billionaires are still running abroad for medical checkup.

As for the poor man he is on his own!

Yes to me making it, is living in a society where everyone has equal or at least near equal opportunity of charting the course of their lives.

Making it to me is living in a society where I don't have to worry about the mundane things of life like security, health , education, human right, job security etc. You can be making money but mine and I can speak for most people is living in a decent society.

To us that is what making it is all about!

Dont mind some folks who doesnt know what is meant by good quality of living!!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 5:40am On Dec 10, 2018
sweetmelanin:

So, have you made it now that you are in Nigeria?
I bet your moving back wasnt by choice. Student visa expired right? smiley

Don't mind the wise guy.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 5:44am On Dec 10, 2018
naunasabi:
@op why do Nigerians think it is all about money?

What about quality of life? Last time I checked the life expectancy in that shit-hole is around 50 years. Moving to country like Germany automatically increases your life expectancy by about 30 years on the average.

What about opportunity? Yes you can make money in Nigeria but then how much are we talking about? Being a middle class doesn't spare your children the horror of everyday life in Nigerian or how uncertain the future look. Unless you are among the top earners in Nigeria which will afford you the means to ship your children abroad for a better life. Which brings me back to the question if Nigeria is that great after making the money since that is your sole indicator of a wonderful life why don't you leave your kids in Nigeria instead of carting them away?

To the average man on the street, Nigeria is one of the worse place to be born and to live in. Go to the west the average man on the street has a prospect if they work towards it. In Nigeria working hard towards your goal doesn't cut it, you have to be very lucky and know people. I know that there are group of people that will counter this point but my question to those people is to compare the number of those that did it without knowing anyone with those that knew someone. While when you look at the west the element of luck and knowing someone is insignificant on how your life turns out.

@op you won't know the quality of life until you get home from work, flip the switch and there is power. Step into your tube and take a warm bath thereafter relax in your sofa without any worries of whether the power will be on when you wake up in the morning or if the tap will be running in the morning. You wont known the quality of life or what it really means to make it until you have emergency medical condition and all you need to do is dial emergency services and their will be medical personnel right there at your home to save your life.

Even in your so called money haven- even if you managed to amass a lot of money when you have medical emergency the service you will get is a far cry from a decent one. I forgot all your billionaires are still running abroad for medical checkup.

As for the poor man he is on his own!

Yes to me making it, is living in a society where everyone has equal or at least near equal opportunity of charting the course of their lives.

Making it to me is living in a society where I don't have to worry about the mundane things of life like security, health , education, human right, job security etc. You can be making money but mine and I can speak for most people is living in a decent society.

To us that is what making it is all about!

Well said.

The OP should not bother to send any of his children outside Nigeria. Let them remain in Nigeria and be great.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 5:47am On Dec 10, 2018
ednut1:
Tell dat to my friend who earned 30k montly in 9ja. Took a loan to go to dubai. He is currently building a house. Something he cannot achieve easily with 30k

I wish I could quote all of you at once and advice you to stop replying the OP.

He is trolling.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Lotechi(m): 6:42am On Dec 10, 2018
thebosstrevor:
I have noticed that many Nigerians think they can only make it abroad, even though,we are blessed with a large market,what is stopping nigerians from seeing opportunities in their own country?

I have spoken to many chinese( age 20 to 30) they all seems to have very low education, some of them do not have degrees like us but they are making it big time in nigeria, even a north korea man i met in an exhibition in lagos is doing great here in nigeria.

But nigerians are trooping out of their country like nothing works in nigeria.
if you do not know the reason, then you are either uninformed, misinformed or just playing dumb because the reasons are overwhelmingly evident.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by CocoaOla: 6:48am On Dec 10, 2018
Why do Nigerians government family and relative have dual ciitizenship that unpatriotic most of them buy big mansions abroad and move their families there Op Nigeria is not a country no justice nothing.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by patomberekpe(m): 6:56am On Dec 10, 2018
If I May contribute on the topic, I knew many Chinese Bosses who sent their workers to Nigeria, these bosses Send goods to them while some open Big projects in Nigeria, believe me You Can never see a 20yr old Chinese living in Nigeria all by himself, At 40yrs Chinese Still Live with their parents. Everywhere You Are one Can make it, the thing Is God must be with the person. going abroad Is never assurance to make it, staying home Is neither, But a person Who lives in abroad I think have more better view of the World and more understanding of life, their ways are different to compare homies.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by naunasabi: 7:21am On Dec 10, 2018
mayze:

So traveling out and taking nice pictures is defined as success abI. Traveling out of the country doesn't guaranty u ll make it over dia..if u ain't doing a white collar job over dia u r not better in any way

Why do you people think that every Nigerian abroad is hustling? Granted most people did menial jobs while schooling those without scholarship happens to be the majority. Bros am not flaunting after graduation me and my friends we all have good jobs. Researchers in notable institution here in EU. Bro if na money matter none of my guys back home earns as much we do a month. Not to talk of the exposure and experiences and quality of life.

Not everyone abroad is doing blue collar jobs. I just didn't want to take that route while doing my write ups because it doesn't matter. My approach to live is simply whatever a non-illegal job a man does to put food on his table should be respected.

So I am too old to be casting aspersions on the type of job someone does. I came from a humble background because God has smiled on me doesn't mean I am better off that those who are not fortunate enough to have white collar job no matter where they are in the world.

That's is why out here everyone is treated with dignity people don't care the kind of job you have as long as you have a job and you are able to pay your bills. The law is for everyone!

So please my brother don't look at life from that angle look at it from the angle that as human we all deserve some form of dignity and that which other people do to cater ( that is not illegal ) for their families should not be used in mocking them but rather they should be encouraged because they are doing their best.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by drnoel: 7:27am On Dec 10, 2018
justwise:

The same reason those Chinese and Koreans are not staying in their individual countries to make it but decided to move to Nigeria.

Did you ask them why they are not making it in their own country? Is China not far better than Nigeria?

That phrase "make it", "making it" is our main problem as Nigerians. It makes the idea of cutting corners enticing.
Many Asians that do business in Nigeria have assess to big loans which Nigerians don't get to have. The other Asians who don't get loans come in for illegal runz.
It's a mentality problem.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Raalsalghul: 7:32am On Dec 10, 2018
able20:

Rich men children only school abroad later came back to Nigeria to occupy a reserved employment.
Yes in some cases and in the process usually get PR amd can still go back. Don't generalize.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Raalsalghul: 7:33am On Dec 10, 2018
Delivar:

Even the bad poeple who are causing the problems in Nigeria also want to run away. Nigerians are clowns grin grin grin
Na so nw.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Raalsalghul: 7:33am On Dec 10, 2018
sojodmy:

People wey don mad sad sad
lol
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Raalsalghul: 7:34am On Dec 10, 2018
litdutchboy:

Stolen wealth
I concur.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Raalsalghul: 7:36am On Dec 10, 2018
naunasabi:

Why do you people think that every Nigerian abroad is hustling? Granted most people did menial jobs while schooling those without scholarship happens to be the majority. Bros am not flaunting after graduation me and my friends we all have good jobs. Researchers in notable institution here in EU. Bro if na money matter none of my guys back home earns as much we do a month. Not to talk of the exposure and experiences and quality of life.

Not everyone abroad is doing blue collar jobs. I just didn't want to take that route while doing my write ups because it doesn't matter. My approach to live is simply whatever a non-illegal job a man does to put food on his table should be respected.

So I am too old to be casting aspersions on the type of job someone does. I came from a humble background because God has smiled on me doesn't mean I am better off that those who are not fortunate enough to have white collar job no matter where they are in the world.

That's is why out here everyone is treated with dignity people don't care the kind of job you have as long as you have a job and you are able to pay your bills. The law is for everyone!

So please my brother don't look at life from that angle look at it from the angle that as human we all deserve some form of dignity and that which other people do to cater ( that is not illegal ) for their families should not be used in mocking them but rather they should be encouraged because they are doing their best.
It will be in your best interest to stop mentioning folks that are not properly enlightened.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Raalsalghul: 7:41am On Dec 10, 2018
Delivar:

If you think the way out is by running away then Nigeria will never get developed. Selfishness is part of what is killing us in Nigeria. Whenever the average Nigerian gets an education he begins to feel too big to live in Nigeria. He starts to have this feeling of self-righteousness believing he is a good person while the rest of Nigerians are bad that he can't live with them. Then the next thing on his mind is running away from Nigeria.

The ROOT problem in Nigeria is lack of education. Majority of the citizens have an uneducated mindset. If 70% of Nigerians have an educated mindset many of these problems will go away and we will always elect and have the best rulers governing us. These Nigerians who run away from Nigeria are also part of the problem because if they had stayed back it would help sustain an increase in the number of educated and enlightened citizens which is the foundation of development. As folks like you get an education and keep running away how much educated workforce will be left in Nigeria to lead the nation to advancement? Those countries you are running to fixed their own countries so why can't we fix ours? If every Nigerian has a chance to emigrate to a foreign country don't you think they will also destroy the country with the same uneducated mindset they have?
Can you shut da fvck up?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Delivar(m): 7:52am On Dec 10, 2018
Raalsalghul:
Can you shut da fvck up?
Can you contest what I said and present your case maturely?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Raalsalghul: 7:53am On Dec 10, 2018
Delivar:

Can you contest what I said and present your case maturely?
Will do. Trust me.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Delivar(m): 7:56am On Dec 10, 2018
Raalsalghul:
Will do. Trust me.
Any Nigerian running away from Nigeria is also guilty as the corrupt politicians you castigate and blame for destroying the country. Change in a country can not come without a fight.

Present your case against it.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Delivar(m): 7:59am On Dec 10, 2018
yemi15:

You probably have not heard stories about how change agents have been frustrated in this country, that is why you are saying this! Keep on with your eldorado thinking where the minority can change things smh
Do you think change agents were not frustrated in the countries you run to? If the change agents in Europe and America all ran away do you think they would have gotten to this level?

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (24) (Reply)

Photos Of Mile 2, Apapa Expressway / What Herbert Macaulay Way In Yaba, Lagos Looks Like In 2021 (pics, Video) / Present Condition Of Port Harcourt Zoo: Pictures & Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.