Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,864 members, 7,810,292 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:56 AM

Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? - Travel (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? (51942 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? / What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? / Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Dec 11, 2018
Babyvet:

There are good benefits but there an array of issues that cause veterans to be homeless. Sometimes it’s not their fault.

i understand but it seems the US do not respect veteran again, Many homeless people in the US, quarter of them are veterans, i dont have full information about them but this is just what i know about veterans in the US military.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Babyvet: 9:38pm On Dec 11, 2018
Beautyaddy:

I guess you're right.

But one would think that Canada can also create avenues for construction jobs like the US at least for growth towards the economy.

The Mexicans using the visa-free opportunities to get access into Canada can be used to get workers for those construction jobs or other low-skilled jobs too.

It’s just now low skilled but even professional jobs . Some candadians living along the border have to drive accross the border into the US.
https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2017/03/18/nurs-m18.html
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Babyvet: 9:40pm On Dec 11, 2018
thebosstrevor:

yes i know but there is a confusion

is it 331st Training Squadron or SQUADRON FLIGHT 331

the US has no SQUADRON FLIGHT 331, No. 331 Squadron was a Second World War squadron of the Royal Air Force.

it is confusing, the blogger didnt do their research. everything can be research on the internet

Maybe it’s the incorrect plane name but that guy is in the US Air Force.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Dec 11, 2018
sats:

You have stayed in nigeria for 7 years after studying abroad

I have stayed in nigeria all my life, over 20 years and never went abroad

But you are the one supporting remaining in nigeria while i support leaving

What really is the source of your support for remaining?
You were not given the opportunity to remain after studying?
You cant stay after study in the UK, they will kick you out

The irony
cheesy

You talking rubbish...u were not chanced to remain in UK say the truth...yes like ur critic says..they will surely kick u out, that's y next time go to USA or Canada,and don't come here n say thrash.. Nigeria is useless period ..u guys should live those traveling out what is good for the goose might not be for the ganger.even in 300yeara to come Nigeria will not get better.so leave us who have traveld and others who are planing to

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Dec 11, 2018
softandmoist:

Asking for good healthcare is entitlement mentality? I'd like to see the face behind this moniker and compare it with one I know of people making it.

All your study abroad was a huge waste sir.
You've not shown us how we can make it if we return. How do we know we won't die in Oshodi by falling materials off the trucks?
Can you guarantee my son that he'll graduate in record time?
Talk true, were you allowed to stay after your student visa expired?
Why did you return? Swear by ayelala grin

Lol...he returned back cos he no fit do arrangee .or possibly his village people demoted him back

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Babyvet: 10:12pm On Dec 11, 2018
softandmoist:

Why didn't Tiwa Savage give birth in Nigeria

But why she did she move back to Nigeria for her career? She spent years abroad trying to set a career as singer and was only able to back up singing , but now she one of the biggest African artist today.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by speedyconnect3: 10:14pm On Dec 11, 2018
opebiboy:
i faint! The best you can save a year in Canada working odd job is $5000. I dont care how many hours you work. That dude is a bonafide liar

Why do you say so?

Please be elaborate, it would be helpful
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by softandmoist(f): 10:43pm On Dec 11, 2018
I don't care about your politicians and you.
I don't even want to know what you are yarning.
You deserve your leaders.

I didn't ask you to agree with me.
I only asked you to be reading an opposition's view with clarity. You wrote something, I said I agree and you still came up writing what no one even knows.

Pick a convenient struggle and stick to it.
Even us here we don't want ya'll back home to come and ruin our chances. tongue. Abi you want to come a day wash toilet? tongue

I work as a CCA in a care home owned by a Nigerian here in Canada. All our patients are whites. Bros, they love me more than their own children o, especially because they know it's not eye service I'm doing. My employer is a renowned obgyn and has children who are God fearing and doing very well. They're not morally reprehensible just because their parents raised them here.

I agree that y'all are millionaires in Nigeria and we are the poor ones who have to slave for the whites.

I hope your children agree with you in 30 years.
This is my last post here, by the way.
I found a more worthwhile and engaging thread to occupy my time on Facebook so I'll leave you with this.

I come from a comfortable background. My grandparents in their days were successful merchants who dealt in food and clothings in Lagos, and my uncles and parents were lucky to have enjoyed when Nigeria was better. Education was almost free or at least affordable, there were opportunities to further their education and training abroad.

My uncle came back and worked with the MOE until retirement. He was a director. He was able to build a couple of flats while in service, and he rented them out. He also started a consulting business. Then the government owed workers who were his tenants. They couldn't pay rent. The patrons of his business had to prioritize, and chose food over business solutions. Uncle's children have asked him to come abroad because their father will just shrivel up and die in Nigeria. After 35 years of service.

My father?
One of the most brilliant agronomists ever to have come from Nigeria. Did so well in his field of study that he was respected everywhere. Then he was ill. The doctors said it was spiritual attack. That was the diagnosis until he had an aneurysm and thankfully went home to his maker before the disgrace became too much. No diagnosis. Or was there?

A country where even market women in Lagos Island send their kids abroad is where you're saying ALL of us should stay. I hear you.
Stay.
Build very well.
Put your trust in PENCOM.
Wait for the building of metro rail.
ASUU will soon call off strike.
Boko Haram will surrender.
Education at CU and Babcock will be free.
Inventions will be from only Nigeria.

I'm not just waiting around for that to happen when I can even for no reason.
I know you will still come and write one thing one thing.
But if you search your mind very well this night, I know you won't mind relocating abroad. cheesy

11 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by maternal: 10:47pm On Dec 11, 2018
Babyvet:

Even with Canada’s lenineint immigration , how come their country never full reach? How come are people are killing themselves to come the US especially Hispanics when they could go to Canada who has more relaxed immigration policy.

The canadian government strategically suppresses population growth to a certain number per year. Lastly geographic location as well plays a big role.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Babyvet: 11:13pm On Dec 11, 2018
maternal:

The canadian government strategically suppresses population growth to a certain number per year. Lastly geographic location as well plays a big role.

Yes I understand that, but there is a reason why people are rapidly applying to the US from all the over the world compared to Canada. Reason being is opportunities. Even Canadians would admit that there are more opportunities in the U.S.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-so-many-more-Canadians-45-000-immigrate-to-the-USA-each-year-than-people-from-the-USA-7-500-immigrate-to-Canada-Are-there-more-opportunities-economic-or-otherwise-in-America
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Beautyaddy: 11:22pm On Dec 11, 2018
Babyvet:

Yes I understand that, but there is a reason why people are rapidly applying to the US from all the over the world compared to Canada. Reason being is opportunities. Even Canadians would admit that there are more opportunities in the U.S.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-so-many-more-Canadians-45-000-immigrate-to-the-USA-each-year-than-people-from-the-USA-7-500-immigrate-to-Canada-Are-there-more-opportunities-economic-or-otherwise-in-America

Hmmm...interesting!

Canada has vast avaliable of land for growth so why are they not making use of it for growth and development so that the job opputunities some of them are emigrating into the US to get will not be necessary.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Babyvet: 11:33pm On Dec 11, 2018
Beautyaddy:

Hmmm...interesting!

Canada has vast avaliable of land for growth so why are they not making use of it for growth and development so that the job opputunities some of them are emigrating into the US to get will not be necessary.

Because there are no jobs and too much bureaucracy especially when it come their professional boards. Some people that are going through the skilled workers are complaining about lack of jobs in their related field. Job creation is also much easier in the US than Canada. The US also has more areas of specialization especially in the health care field.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/immigration-employment-canada-1.3831468
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Raalsalghul: 11:51pm On Dec 11, 2018
sats:

https://www.nairaland.com/4857306/monthly-savings-canada/7

The guy that opened that thread works as a security guard in canada, he earns $CAD16 an hour and has $CAD6000 in savings from his security guard job

Your generation be favored for pasting this link here. This bosstrevor dude knows nothing.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by maternal: 11:57pm On Dec 11, 2018
Babyvet:

Didn't know Quora is a reliable source. Even if it was, what's 45k people with a population of 37 million ? That's less than 1 percent. You're acting like everyone is running away from Canada. Furthermore, the American economy is 10 times bigger and there's a lot more opportunities there for certain professions. Nobody is doubting that. But you were talking about the Mexicans not wanting to come to Canada due to the lack of jobs; specifically construction jobs. Which is false. The "Mexican" who regretted coming to Canada is actually from EL Salvador. He's upset because Canada rejected his claim as he's not a true refugee. But he's actually doing construction work in the meantime while you claim there's none. As for the real Mexicans, they're coming to Canada in numbers clogging up the refugee system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONjCMzB_FPw&feature=youtu.be

https://globalnews.ca/news/4042075/mexico-refugee-claims-spike-visa-lift/
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by maternal: 12:11am On Dec 12, 2018
Beautyaddy:

Hmmm...interesting!

Those 45k Canadians are mainly rich white Canadians who worked for a company in Canada, got a promotion, and had to move to the headquarters which is probably based in a New York. Probably half married an America. Some even said that was their situation, simply marriage. As for population growth, Canada's geography is unique. Despite being the 2nd biggest country in the world geography wise, a good size of the country is unlivable. It's simply too cold to live up north. So why develop it ? Would you live in a place that goes up to -50 during winter time ? Furthermore, your infrastructure, social services, etc has to support your population growth. If you let a million people in tomorrow to a city for example, infrastructure will suffer, they'd be inadequate hospital beds, etc. That's why small sized countries like a Sweden or Switzerland enjoy a very great standard of living, and strategically suppresses their population for what they actually need and want. Their standard of living is higher than North Americans. All those illegal immigrants attempting to enter the U.S. While some Americans may be flattered "everyone wants to live there", they'll erode parts of their social services, and re-direct some essential tax payer money into law enforcement, which could/should be used for other things. Example the millions unexpectedly spent to shut down the San Diego/Mexico border recently. They couldn't use that on healthcare for example ?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Babyvet: 12:14am On Dec 12, 2018
maternal:

Didn't know Quora is a reliable source. Even if it was, what's 45k people with a population of 37 million ? That's less than 1 percent. You're acting like everyone is running away from Canada. Furthermore, the American economy is 10 times bigger and there's a lot more opportunities there for certain professions. Nobody is doubting that. But you were talking about the Mexicans not wanting to come to Canada due to the lack of jobs; specifically construction jobs. Which is false. The "Mexican" who regretted coming to Canada is actually from EL Salvador. He's upset because Canada rejected his claim as he's not a true refugee. But he's actually doing construction work in the meantime while you claim there's none. As for the real Mexicans, they're coming to Canada in numbers clogging up the refugee system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONjCMzB_FPw&feature=youtu.be

https://globalnews.ca/news/4042075/mexico-refugee-claims-spike-visa-lift/

No quora is forum like this. Good thing about that forum is has more world view and objective. You get views from immigrants and natives of the country. Plus reliable links we provided in the quora forum. The case you posted is not the one I’m talking about , the one I’m talking about migrated legally to Canada. I’m not saying people are running away from Canada, it what it is. Mind that , that number does not include people who drive from Canada everyday accross the border to the US for work. It seems like Canadian immigrants seem to be die hard fans of the country even more than natives. That’s why I like to be hear about Canada from the natives because I get a more objective view.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by maternal: 12:19am On Dec 12, 2018
Babyvet:

No quora is forum like this. Good thing about that forum is has more world view and objective. You get views from immigrants and natives of the country. Plus reliable links we provided in the quora forum. The case you posted is not the one I’m talking about , the one I’m talking about migrated legally to Canada. I’m not saying people are running away from Canada, it what it is. Mind that , that number does not include people who drive from Canada everyday accross the border to the US for work. It seems like Canadian immigrants seem to be die hard fans of the country even more than natives. That’s why I like to be hear about Canada from the natives because I get a more objective view.

I'm not die hard at all. I view Canada/ US as the same thing, though some differences. But as natives, do you mean whites or aboriginals ? Because both have their bias. I think I've skewed this thread enough.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 2:01am On Dec 12, 2018
[quote author=Babyvet post=73762071]

Maybe it’s the incorrect plane name but that guy is in the US Air Force. [/quot]

i apologise for derailing, just wanna ask are you a female?

I just wanna know about the dating scene for Nigerian american young women in the US

do Nigerian young men go after young black women or white?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Babyvet: 2:51am On Dec 12, 2018
thebosstrevor:

sorry derailing, just wanna ask are you a female.

I just wanna know about the dating scence for nigerian american young women

do nigerian young men go after young black women or white?

Unfortunately I do not know, I do not really mix with Nigerians in my community. But from my observation, Nigerian American women tend to marry Nigerian men. Nigerian men marry women from different backgrounds.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by opebiboy: 6:01am On Dec 12, 2018
speedyconnect3:

Why do you say so?

Please be elaborate, it would be helpful
Any Nigeria claiming to earn more than $30,000 doing menial job in Canada is one big fat liar! Canada has a personal income tax of almost 18% meaning you are left with $24,000 to spend for the year if you make $30,000. Living on $19,000 annually is extreme poverty as that is the poverty rate for a single person in most provinces in Canada. You will need government assistance

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Casemiro(m): 8:29am On Dec 12, 2018
> it is well

migrate
choi shocked big momas garden
migrant
Natural home remedies
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by oluayebenz: 1:12pm On Dec 12, 2018
thebosstrevor:
I have noticed that many Nigerians think they can only make it abroad, even though,we are blessed with a large market,what is stopping nigerians from seeing opportunities in their own country?

I have spoken to many chinese( age 20 to 30) they all seems to have very low education, some of them do not have degrees like us but they are making it big time in nigeria, even a north korea man i met in an exhibition in lagos is doing great here in nigeria.

But nigerians are trooping out of their country like nothing works in nigeria.

My guy

Nigerians will keep attacking you.
Those claiming they have huge acct balance are the ones that will blocked their relatives on social media cos of common 100usd.

What I know about Africans is that we are not smart enough.
Africans are not creative

EOD

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Dec 12, 2018
People cannot build when they are old. Building has to done by the young.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 5:52pm On Dec 12, 2018
Babyvet:

Unfortunately I do not know, I do not really mix with Nigerians in my community. But from my observation, Nigerian American women tend to marry Nigerian men. Nigerian men marry women from different backgrounds.

i see, so it is the Nigerian straight from Africa that pursue these white women?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by chigoizie7(m): 10:15pm On Dec 12, 2018
softandmoist:
If I ever meet you, you'll get a hug, a bowl of African salad and a massage.
You took the words out of my hands(mouth).

where u de? because, me, I need the massage now
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Gamesmart: 4:05am On Dec 13, 2018
1kingwriter:
I laugh in Swahili!

A friend of mine, a nurse moved to USA 5 months ago. She got her first pay check last week having worked for a month. As a starter in nursing, she earns $15 hourly and works on the average 16 hours : 15×16 = 240
Daily earning - $240
Monthly earnings - $6000
$6000 × N365 = N2,190, 000.00

Here in Nigeria she earns about N48, 000 monthly as a nurse here before moving to US.

If you divide her monthly earning in the US with what she earned monthly while here in Nigeria, that will be about 4 years earnings.

With the above picture, going abroad has it.

What complete nonsense!

You mean she works 16 hours a day for 25 days every month?

Continue chatting trash!

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 5:31pm On Dec 13, 2018
Gamesmart:

What complete nonsense!

Continue chatting trash!
Hahaha. Many stories are formulated here but this is virtually impossible.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Babyvet: 7:18pm On Dec 13, 2018
Gamesmart:

What complete nonsense!

Continue chatting trash!

No mind am, they think people are stupid on this forum. Even the pay he mentioned did not make sense.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Gamesmart: 11:07pm On Dec 13, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

Hahaha. Many stories are formulated here but this is virtually impossible.

Babyvet:

No mind am, they think people are stupid on this forum. Even the pay he mentioned did not make sense.

That is what we get when idiots get a little data.

They start making up nonsense!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by acorntree(m): 8:13am On Dec 14, 2018
I was a student in Canada more than 35 years ago. Much of what
others have written here could
have been predictable and
Nigerians need to watch out
because the stories of a Canada
(or any other nation) where
there are no problems is an
exaggeration. Everywhere in the
world, people struggle to survive.
In the UK, for example, apart
from a certain Charles and some
other members of his family,
most people struggle to survive
month to month! Canadians
manage every month to balance
their family budget (pay heating
bills, clearing snow, taxes,
transportation, mortgage/rent,
settle various other bills, etc.) In
the US, in addition to these, they
also dodge bullets (it is their
constitutional right to keep
dodging bullets), forest fires and
“migrant invasion”; realize that
a major sickness can ruin their
finances all the while “saluting
the flag” and watching out for
the next joke Trump will pull on
them! Nigerians must know that
their expectations in Canada or
any other place in this world
must be realistic and benefit
from learning about differences
in the culture and systems they
are entering. Perhaps a little
story may help. It is the
experience of two of my
colleagues in Alberta between
1980–85.
Let’s call the first man Andrew.
Andrew was born in Calgary. His
father was a plumber and he
had training in plumbing and
was working with his late father
since he was old enough to do so.
He earned a PhD in Chemistry at
the University of Alberta but
could not find a job as an
academic. He found out that the
hourly wage for a plumber was
more than $40 an hour. He
eventually kept his PhD on the
shelve and went to work as a
plumber. He made a comfortable
income and had no regrets!
Please note that Andrew is a
white Canadian “Anglo Saxon”
or “WASP” if you know what I
mean.
Next comes Nnamdi (not his real
name, but a Nigerian person
known to me). Nnamdi came to
Canada with MSc Chemistry
from UNN and was admitted to
the PhD program at the
University of Alberta. He was
here with his family and had
sufficient assistantship to live on
for the five years it took to get
the PhD. He never planned to go
back to Nigeria. Upon
graduation, he worked initially
as a Post Doctoral Fellow. That
provided more money than the
Graduate Assistantship but was
not the level of living he looked
forward to. Eventually, even that
ran out.
Nnamdi found out that he could
earn a more stable income if he
taught Chemistry in secondary
school. He went back to take the
required Teacher’s certificate
and was eventually employed as
Chemistry teacher. He too went
on to live a simple quiet life and
had no complaints. He was
happy he could put his children
in better schools than Nigeria
could provide for him.
Analysis:
One of these people was an
immigrant from Nigeria, the
other, a Canadian from several
generations. It was already
happening 35 years ago! If you
assume that advanced education
will automatically place you in a
White-Collar job and middle
class life in Canada, think again!
The opportunities, culture,
expectations and society are
completely different from what
you are used to in Nigeria! That
is probably why their system
works! It is primed to be
efficient. You can be sacked from
your work even though you have
been working very hard, simply
because the economy is slow and
your boss thinks that the
company will benefit from
laying you off, or by closing your
section of the company. This
does not necessarily have
anything to do with your face or
colour! In fact, while you have a
job, I think it is mandatory to
have Unemployment Insurance
so that the time needed to find
another job will not send you
down into homelessness when
you lose a job!
My children, who presently live
in Canada, offered me a
perspective recently. I think
Nigerians need to study how
Asians, in one or two
generations, climb to the middle
class in these Western Countries
while Nigerians can keep
receiving assistance for several
generations.
One of my daughters, while at
University in Canada had a
friend, an Indian. They talked
enough for her to notice that that
girl’s parents came to Canada
around the same time she
herself was born in Canada.
They (the girl’s parents)had only
high school education compared
to me in a PhD program at that
time. All they were able to do
were menial jobs and lived
prudently until they were able to
own a Corner Shop. The children
grew up helping their parents
and going to school. By the time
these children reached
university, the same parents
could pay their fees while my
own children needed school
loans to get by. In a single
generation, Indians with
relatively lower education had
arrived at Middle-Class status
while we Nigerians are busy
amassing degrees and boasting to
be doing so well, ipso facto!
Newsflash! Degrees are not paid
for in Canada! Even with your
PhD, you keep quiet at work and
perform! If another person with
a lower level of education does
better than you, he could be paid
more!
I will conclude with the story of
another Nigerian in the United
States. Again, this is a true story:
Musa, a Nigerian, with PhD in
Chemical Engineering, works for
a high-end manufacturing
company in Michigan. He joined
the company as a junior
engineer before he went for his
PhD at University of Michigan.
After completion, he was
employed to work in the
research arm of the same
company and was on a six figure
annual income. Then the
economy went into recession. As
a senior member of staff, he was
well briefed about the
company’s fortunes.
Then there was, again, this
happy Indian foreman who did
his daily routine joyfully as if
everything was OK! Musa called
him one day and asked if he was
aware that the company had less
than six months of work left and
would be folded up. Rajiv (let’s
call him by that name) smiled
and told Musa he was fully
aware of the state of the
company. Then why was he so
joyful?
Musa had the shock of his life
when Rajiv explained that he
already knew the company was
not doing well two years
previously. He had already made
a down-payment for a 7–11 store
that he was ready to move to and
operate. Surprisingly, he found
he could continue to work for
nine more months, he therefore
put his brother at that particular
store while he was earning the
income to work for the down-
payment of another store!
Instead of him running a single
store with his brother, each will
run a store and will help each
other to complete payment!
The examples here are about
certificate-piling Nigerian
immigrants under performing
compared to lower educated
Asians. When you now bring in
highly educated Indians - that
are by the way multiple of times
the number of Nigerians, the
story becomes even more
interesting. Nigerians, abroad,
often do not cooperate as easily
as Asians do. Four or more
Pakistani IT workers can be so
helpful to one another, share
apartment and contribute to
sustain an unemployed member
until they all move ahead in
Western society. Nigerians in the
same situation are more likely to
engage in unhealthy
competition. The Koreans,
Vietnamese, Thai, Indonesians
etc., move into middle class
much faster than Nigerians do
no matter how fast we start. If
there is an Olympic medal for
the number of degrees acquired,
Nigeria will win! If it is a matter
of entrepreneurship, upward
mobility, social integration, etc.,
it is a different game! When a
Chinese sets up a restaurant, he
aims at the local Western
population. The few Nigerians
who set up Bukas are targeting
other Nigerians or Africans like
themselves - 2–5% of the
population!
Conclusion.
There are opportunities in the
Western countries for Nigerians
and many have done well. There
are also hundreds or thousands
of Nigerians (doctors, engineers,
lawyers, other professionals)
living at the margins of those
societies but will NEVER tell the
truth to their families and
friends at home. This can
mislead many who get to know
the truth too late and simply add
to the number. Nigeria, (for
several reasons: poor
infrastructure, safety,
opportunities, etc. ) is a difficult
place to live. The Western
nations that look attractive to us
are also (for a different set of
reasons: competition, culture,
weather, etc.) difficult places to
live. The effort required to
succeed in these countries can
easily be as great as the effort
needed to succeed in Nigeria. In
fact, it is my private opinion
that, if you are not an “Okada”
or “Maruwa” driver in a
Nigerian city, your effort to
succeed in most of these
countries will be sufficient to
make you succeed in Nigeria
also. It is with stunning
perplexity I hear about young
Nigerians with very good jobs,
some even already owning their
own homes, selling off and going
to start at the end of the queue
in Canada or America! I still
cannot understand what they
really think they will get over
there! The fact is that you are
probably more highly motivated
to work when you are abroad
than you would have been
willing to work here in Nigeria.
That is just my personal opinion!

This is an opinion of Omotayo Fakinlede,
Professor at University of Lagos.

https://www.quora.com/How-is-life-like-for-Nigerians-living-in-Canada

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 8:48am On Dec 14, 2018
acorntree:

This is an opinion of Omotayo Fakinlede,
Professor at University of Lagos.

https://www.quora.com/How-is-life-like-for-Nigerians-living-in-Canada

that guy is right on point. I know someone who continues getting scholarships and degrees just because he doesnt want to leave. indians and syrians owns all the resturants.

Newly immigrated syrians to canada will surpass nigerians in the next 5 years.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (Reply)

Can This Truly Happen In Lagos - Photo / Can I Travel To Australia With N4.5 Million? / 6ft Monitor Lizard Climbs Shelf, Raids Store In Thailand (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.