Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,914 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:57 AM

How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer (4737 Views)

From An Atheist To A Strong Believer - How I Met God... / What Can You Tell An Atheist To Believe There Is God? / Oyedepo: A Believer Behaving Like Mumu In Place Of Authority, This Is Evil Govt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by Nobody: 5:49pm On Dec 14, 2018
grin
Originakalokalo:

His attributes of holiness does not condole sin...but His Mercy endures forever....

He is a very merciful God. However, If his judgement comes,

No one can deliver you from his hand...

Moses appeared on the mount of transfiguration with Elijah...

People in Paradise are in resting mood...but Moses was summoned to fellowship with Jesus in his glory on the mount of transfiguration...

That doesn't sound like discard to me.

Moses saw God.

No human has ever had a relationship with God like moses.

You are riding on his mercy...

...when it expires, (this could take 60 years of one's life out of the 80 year life span....for instance. To some, mercy ends at death.)...

he hardens your heart.

When this happens, No one can save you from that part. Not even the greatest preacher that has ever existed.

You are simply marked for destruction.

I hope you have not exhausted your grace period.

How do you know he's marked for destruction? Are you in God's mind or are you his mouthpiece? angry
Originakalokalo:

His attributes of holiness does not condole sin...but His Mercy endures forever....

He is a very merciful God. However, If his judgement comes,

No one can deliver you from his hand...

Moses appeared on the mount of transfiguration with Elijah...

People in Paradise are in resting mood...but Moses was summoned to fellowship with Jesus in his glory on the mount of transfiguration...

That doesn't sound like discard to me.

Moses saw God.

No human has ever had a relationship with God like moses.

You are riding on his mercy...

...when it expires, (this could take 60 years of one's life out of the 80 year life span....for instance. To some, mercy ends at death.)...

he hardens your heart.

When this happens, No one can save you from that part. Not even the greatest preacher that has ever existed.

You are simply marked for destruction.

I hope you have not exhausted your grace period.

How do you know he's marked for destruction? Are you in God's mind or are you his mouthpiece?

Religious people resort to threats when people don't agree with them (because they have no valid point)
Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by GXchange: 6:02pm On Dec 14, 2018
Ranchhoddas:
Chemicals in your brain made you believe?

You got goosebumps. The same thing I get when I listen to Zion's Daughter by Boney M.

Did you not realize your finitude in the grand scheme of things before attending the Experience?
What did you think you where before then?

You'd snap out of it soon.
Bookmark this comment.

Chemicals in the brain also produce the feeling of love and empathy. Does the fact the these feelings arise as a result of chemicals in the brain disprove the presence and profoundness of the love a mother has for her child even though one can't prove materially that the feeling of love exists?

I listen to music a lot. I've never felt that way before. And I've already described the way I felt. It's very different from the sensation I get when I listen to my best soulful songs.

When I was staunchly an atheist I didn't believe in the existence of anything divide and transcendent outside the scope of the material world and I certainly didn't consider myself inferior to it. This changed after my experience.

1 Like

Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by LordReed(m): 6:03pm On Dec 14, 2018
GXchange:

Are you of the opinion that there is nothing that exists outside the domain of the observable material world?

I am of the opinion that nothing has been definitively shown to exist outside of the material world, observable or not.

BTW please answer the question, how did you know you were in the presence of the divine?
Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by LordReed(m): 6:07pm On Dec 14, 2018
OpenYourEyes1:
Lol atheists argue like babies.
I bet if quantum entanglement wasn't proven they would swear it was myth invented by religious people to discredit evolution.

Very rebellious and close minded.

And you speak like a daft fellow. What has quantum entanglement got to do with evolution? Silly nonsense.
Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by GXchange: 6:36pm On Dec 14, 2018
LordReed:

I am of the opinion that nothing has been definitively shown to exist outside of the material world, observable or not.

BTW please answer the question, how did you know you were in the presence of the divine?

How about if the tools to arrive at the definitive evidence for something existing outside of the parameters of the material world are insufficient? Does the fact that something cannot be identified definitively by a particular method of identification negate the existence of that thing?

I knew I was in the presence of something divine because I felt my Ego(the self I and everyone was familiar with) crumble in that atmosphere of worship and something inside me, sort of an inner self, takeover and I felt that this second self was purer than my Ego and unconcerned about worldly needs and pleasures and this second self acknowledged the existence and presence of the divine, and this acknowledgement brought me to tears.
Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by Ranchhoddas: 6:43pm On Dec 14, 2018
GXchange:

Chemicals in the brain also produce the feeling of love and empathy. Does the fact the these feelings arise as a result of chemicals in the brain disprove the presence and profoundness of the love a mother has for her child even though one can't prove materially that the feeling of love exists?
No they don't. But we also know that chemicals can make me feel things in situations of heightened activity like The Experience which you will later "unfeel" as soon as their effects wear off with time.

I listen to music a lot. I've never felt that way before. And I've already described the way I felt. It's very different from the sensation I get when I listen to my best soulful songs.
I have also attended that concert several times. I also remember the feeling I got when I first heard "Oghene do" by Frank Edwards. It was heavenly. It was unique.

When I was staunchly an atheist I didn't believe in the existence of anything divide and transcendent outside the scope of the material world and I certainly didn't consider myself inferior to it. This changed after my experience.
What exactly do you believe in now?

2 Likes

Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by LordReed(m): 6:57pm On Dec 14, 2018
GXchange:

How about if the tools to arrive at the definitive evidence for something existing outside of the parameters of the material world are insufficient? Does the fact that something cannot be identified definitively by a particular method of identification negate the existence of that thing?

I knew I was in the presence of something divine because I felt my Ego(the self I and everyone was familiar with) crumble in that atmosphere of worship and something inside me, sort of an inner self, takeover and I felt that this second self was purer than my Ego and unconcerned about worldly needs and pleasures and this second self acknowledged the existence and presence of the divine, and this acknowledgement brought me to tears.

You don't find it contradictory to say the tools are insufficient and then go on to say that your subjective experience was sufficient to convince you of an unseen divine presence?

You sound like you already expected and acknowledged the existence of a divine presence because you have not showed how you know what you felt was a divine presence. You are simply asserting that what you felt was a divine presence.

2 Likes

Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by alBHAGDADI: 7:12pm On Dec 14, 2018
HardMirror:
Ok. Read. You are an emotional person. Now that you believe in god, has it changed all the things you observed as wrong with christianity?
Now that he is becoming a believer, he will start to see that all the things he thought were wrong with Christianity and the Bible are actually right and that he was getting it all wrong.

1 Like

Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by tintingz(m): 7:14pm On Dec 14, 2018
GXchange:

I'm an empathic person. I wouldn't consider myself emotional. Before Xperience, I had never cried while singing any song. I cried as I result of the profundity of the experience I had while worshiping God. Like I tried my best to illustrate I had issues with atheism beforehand, the experience I had was the final straw and it confirmed few of the things I was agnostic about.

My new found belief has made me perceive Christianity in a different light. As with every enterprise that involves human input and supervision, of course its bound to have its errors and shortcomings. But yet there are aspects of Christianity that reveal deep truths about the actual nature of our reality, truths that atheism, by its nature, would never unravel.

The same experience also happen to muslims in hajj pilgrimage, fans in Michael Jackson concerts, Jews in Judaism synagogue etc , many people cry and you know why? EMOTION! The crowd, atmosphere trigger more of their emotions.

If you think your emotional experience is the proof of God existence and makes Christianity true religion then you're missing it.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by Originakalokalo(m): 7:32pm On Dec 14, 2018
LordReed:

LoL! Threats, is the best you have now?

Tell me that prophet that a lion killed was he discarded by god or the devil killed him? What would have happened if Jonah had not agreed to go to Nineveh? He'd have remained in the fish stomach right? Yet Aaron who made a golden calf nothing happened to him. This your god is just an illogical story with no consistency whatsoever but you'll just interpret it any way that suits you.

Ignorance. You should continue in it.

No response for you.
Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by LordReed(m): 7:43pm On Dec 14, 2018
Originakalokalo:

Ignorance. You should continue in it.

No response for you.

LoL! I love it when your bullshit comes up against the bible you are quoting, you always have the deer caught in the headlights look.
Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by LordReed(m): 7:48pm On Dec 14, 2018
Ranchhoddas:
No they don't. But we also know that chemicals can make me feel things in situations of heightened activity like The Experience which you will later "unfeel" as soon as their effects wear off with time.

I have also attended that concert several times. I also remember the feeling I got when I first heard "Oghene do" by Frank Edwards. It was heavenly. It was unique.

What exactly do you believe in now?

This. This is why the experience most be renewed again and again, like a crack addict going for a fix again and again. If you ever get off the religious high, doubt comes in like a flood.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by OpenYourEyes1: 7:48pm On Dec 14, 2018
alBHAGDADI:
Now that he is becoming a believer, he will start to see that all the things he thought were wrong with Christianity and the Bible are actually right and that he was getting it all wrong.

True!
Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by Originakalokalo(m): 9:33pm On Dec 14, 2018
raptex:
;DHow do you know he's marked for destruction? Are you in God's mind or are you his mouthpiece? angryHow do you know he's marked for destruction? Are you in God's mind or are you his mouthpiece?

Religious people resort to threats when people don't agree with them (because they have no valid point)

I just told him the only truth that is available.

For our God is a consuming fire.
Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by Originakalokalo(m): 9:41pm On Dec 14, 2018
raptex:
;DHow do you know he's marked for destruction? Are you in God's mind or are you his mouthpiece? angryHow do you know he's marked for destruction? Are you in God's mind or are you his mouthpiece?

He is a blasphemer. The only reason why he is living is by God's mercy. Same with me.

Its either he repents or perish.

That is the undiluted word of God.

If he continues until his heart is hardened by God himself,

That's the end. No one can rescue him.

The psalmist says that God is plenty in mercy,...but it is terrible to fall in the hands of the Lord.

It is not a threat.

Thats the truth.
Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by Anas09: 10:13pm On Dec 14, 2018
GXchange:

I didn't cry because i was just emotional. Part of the reason I cried, I think, was the acknowledgement of my finitude and relative insignificance in the presence of the divine presence I was basking in. It was the crumbling of my ego; of that part of myself that felt it was all there was to me. It was the stripping away of the flesh-aspect of myself; the part of myself that was interested in worldly pursuits, and the identification of a deeper, purer part of myself that felt more real than the part of me I was familiar with.

There are many ways to approach the old testament stories. You could take them literally or you could engage with them as myths. Even if you take them literally you can't tell which of the stories are fact or which of them are a representation of the culture and perspectives of the people and how they represented and dramatized the metaphysical experiences they had. So on the question of how I see the God of the bible now, I can't really say since I don't know whether the stories about God were literal truths, a projection unto the idea of the God the cultures and perspectives of the people at the time or just stories used to represent and dramatize the divine and metaphysical experiences of the people of the time.

I wish i can give you an E-book "True Christianity" by Emmanuel Swedenborg. You need to know what you didn't know before abt Christ and Christianity.

Welcome home brother.

1 Like

Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by HardMirror(m): 10:31pm On Dec 14, 2018
GXchange:

lol! I cant believe what i am reading here. Go on... go on... very interesting. No need trying to talk you out of this. Infact you shld be encouraged as experience is the best. Feelings are important to you, who am i to take that joy from u? Pls if you feel good, keep it

3 Likes

Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by HardMirror(m): 10:36pm On Dec 14, 2018
Anas09:

I wish i can give you an E-book "True Christianity" by Emmanuel Swedenborg. You need to know what you didn't know before abt Christ and Christianity.

Welcome home brother.
funny thing is those who ask questions and are sincere could end up rejecting all religions especially when they read more. This book could actually help him see the nonsense he is accepting. Just the way the bible made a lot of us reject christianity and religion. The more he reads. And asks questions on what he reads, the better. Op try and get this book but ensure you read it with an open mind and question what you read. Truth stands all scrutiny

By the way if anas has read this book and is still the way she is then i can imagine the nonsense the book teaches grin

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by HardMirror(m): 10:42pm On Dec 14, 2018
LordReed:

This. This is why the experience most be renewed again and again, like a crack addict going for a fix again and again. If you every get off the religious high, doubt comes in like a flood.
that is it. That is why they say it is compulsory to go to church as often as possible.
Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by LordReed(m): 10:44pm On Dec 14, 2018
Originakalokalo:

He is a blasphemer. The only reason why he is living is by God's mercy. Same with me.

Its either he repents or perish.

That is the undiluted word of God.

If he continues until his heart is hardened by God himself,

That's the end. No one can rescue him.

The psalmist says that God is plenty in mercy,...but it is terrible to fall in the hands of the Lord.

It is not a threat.

Thats the truth.

LoL!

Your pitiful threats are as important as a child telling me Santa is going to give me a piece of coal for Xmas. I am completely unmoved by it except to laugh.
Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by HappyPagan: 10:48pm On Dec 14, 2018
GXchange:

And this is a beautiful feeling. It's deep and for some moment the world IS blissful,peaceful, and the soul feels light.

Born Again.

And I'm atheist btw. Why rush to Christianity because God met you?

1 Like

Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by Originakalokalo(m): 12:10am On Dec 15, 2018
LordReed:

LoL!

Your pitiful threats are as important as a child telling me Santa is going to give me a piece of coal for Xmas. I am completely unmoved by it except to laugh.

Okay.

Peace.
Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by hakeem4(m): 10:04am On Dec 15, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

I TELL YOU WITH ALL CONFIDENCE THAT WHAT YOU FELT WASN'T SPECIAL, OR IN ANYWAY POINTS TO THE DIRECTION OF THE EXISTENCE OF A SUPREME DEITY, WHO COINCIDENTALLY IS THE CHRISTIAN GOD YOU WERE TAUGHT ABOUT AS A LITTLE CHRISTIAN CHILD.

LISTENING TO GOSPEL SONGS MAKE SOME CHRISTIANS CRY, JUST THE SAME WAY WATCHING TITANIC MADE BILLIONS OF PEOPLE CRY.
SOME OF US CRIED WHENEVER RONALDINHO CRIED. SOME OF US CRY WHENEVER RONALDO CRIES. SOME OF US CRY WHENEVER DRUG-ADDICTED GOOD FOR NOTHING BOYS LIKE LIL WAYNE AND MIGOS HIT THE STAGE.

YOU KNOW WHY? HUMANS ARE VERY EMOTIONAL BEINGS WHO SOMETIMES LET THEIR FRAGILE EMOTIONS RULE THEM.

AGAIN, LET ME REMIND YOU WITH ALL CONFIDENCE THAT WHAT YOU FELT WHEN THE GOSPEL CHOIR GUY SANG WASN'T SPECIAL OR DIVINE, OR IN ANYWAY POINTS TO THE DIRECTION OF THE EXISTENCE OF A SUPREME DEITY, WHO COINCIDENTALLY IS THE CHRISTIAN GOD YOU WERE TAUGHT ABOUT AS A LITTLE CHRISTIAN CHILD.
you made a lot of sense here

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by Originakalokalo(m): 10:27am On Dec 15, 2018
LordReed:

LoL! Threats, is the best you have now?

Tell me that prophet that a lion killed was he discarded by god or the devil killed him? What would have happened if Jonah had not agreed to go to Nineveh? He'd have remained in the fish stomach right? Yet Aaron who made a golden calf nothing happened to him. This your god is just an illogical story with no consistency whatsoever but you'll just interpret it any way that suits you.

Let me advice you on how to stay safe and redeemable.

You don't believe in God. That's fine. It is a sin to you but you might not know it yet.

In order for you to stay safe, stop blaspheming completely.

This add salts to your injury if truly a Almighty exists.

It depletes your "mercy bar" quickly. (If there is something like that)

Stay an atheist and search for the truth.

You would not want God to harden your heart.You become irredeemable when that happens.

Peace.
Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by LordReed(m): 10:48am On Dec 15, 2018
Originakalokalo:

Let me advice you on how to stay safe and redeemable.

You don't believe in God. That's fine. It is a sin to you but you might not know it yet.

In order for you to stay safe, stop blaspheming completely.

This add salts to your injury if truly a Almighty exists.

It depletes your "mercy bar" quickly. (If there is something like that)

Stay an atheist and search for the truth.

You would not want God to harden your heart.You become irredeemable when that happens.

Peace.

LoL! I have already rejected the premise that if a god exists that it would require faith as a pass into its good books. Such a god is no different from 419ers.

So thank you for your advice but quite unnecessary I think.
Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by Originakalokalo(m): 11:24am On Dec 15, 2018
LordReed:

LoL! I have already rejected the premise that if a god exists that it would require faith as a pass into its good books. Such a god is no different from 419ers.

So thank you for your advice but quite unnecessary I think.

OK then.

Peace.
Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by Anas09: 12:18pm On Dec 15, 2018
HardMirror:
funny thing is those who ask questions and are sincere could end up rejecting all religions especially when they read more. This book could actually help him see the nonsense he is accepting. Just the way the bible made a lot of us reject christianity and religion. The more he reads. And asks questions on what he reads, the better. Op try and get this book but ensure you read it with an open mind and question what you read. Truth stands all scrutiny

By the way if anas has read this book and is still the way she is then i can imagine the nonsense the book teaches grin
How many times will i say this? I AM NOT A NECROMANCER. THE DEAD STAYS DEAD.

R.I.P. BROKEN MIRROR.
Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by HardMirror(m): 12:21pm On Dec 15, 2018
Anas09:

How many times will i say this? I AM NOT A NECROMANCER. THE DEAD STAYS DEAD.

R.I.P. BROKEN MIRROR.
boring... like a broken record grin

1 Like

Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by Nobody: 12:30pm On Dec 15, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

I TELL YOU WITH ALL CONFIDENCE THAT WHAT YOU FELT WASN'T SPECIAL, OR IN ANYWAY POINTS TO THE DIRECTION OF THE EXISTENCE OF A SUPREME DEITY, WHO COINCIDENTALLY IS THE CHRISTIAN GOD YOU WERE TAUGHT ABOUT AS A LITTLE CHRISTIAN CHILD.

LISTENING TO GOSPEL SONGS MAKE SOME CHRISTIANS CRY, JUST THE SAME WAY WATCHING TITANIC MADE BILLIONS OF PEOPLE CRY.
SOME OF US CRIED WHENEVER RONALDINHO CRIED. SOME OF US CRY WHENEVER RONALDO CRIES. SOME OF US CRY WHENEVER DRUG-ADDICTED GOOD FOR NOTHING BOYS LIKE LIL WAYNE AND MIGOS HIT THE STAGE.

YOU KNOW WHY? HUMANS ARE VERY EMOTIONAL BEINGS WHO SOMETIMES LET THEIR FRAGILE EMOTIONS RULE THEM.

AGAIN, LET ME REMIND YOU WITH ALL CONFIDENCE THAT WHAT YOU FELT WHEN THE GOSPEL CHOIR GUY SANG WASN'T SPECIAL OR DIVINE, OR IN ANYWAY POINTS TO THE DIRECTION OF THE EXISTENCE OF A SUPREME DEITY, WHO COINCIDENTALLY IS THE CHRISTIAN GOD YOU WERE TAUGHT ABOUT AS A LITTLE CHRISTIAN CHILD.

Capsy, On point as usual smiley
Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by toyosi20188(m): 12:42pm On Dec 15, 2018
NPComplete:
Nice story. Good for u. Not an atheist myself so I have no dog in this fight. From what I can read, u are in love. U will like to believe in Christianity so as to complete your relationship. Good. After u marry her and spend more time devoted to the religion lets see if u are still this mushy. Good luck to u as u search for the truth. Whether u choose to become an atheist again, a deist or just irreligious or remain christian or even convert to these New Age religions, I just hope u find peace with yourself and that whatever stance u choose in the future u are able to back it up with evidence.

By the way, anyone notice how nobody has claimed he was not a true atheist yet? If it was a reversed story now Christians will rush here and scream their favorite No-true-Scottsman fallacy.
Wow. The Devil has really blindfolded you. I really don't see why you should look at the beauty of the universe and say there is no GOD and continue professing atheism
Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by NPComplete: 12:46pm On Dec 15, 2018
toyosi20188:
Wow. The Devil has really blindfolded you. I really don't see why you should look at the beauty of the universe and say there is no GOD and continue professing atheism

You are so daft. U are probably the biggest morøn ever to register on this forum. If u could read the first line of my comment and still foolishly write this nonsense u wrote then there is no hope for u. Your brain has been replaced with olive oil.

LMAO. Na so people dey mumu?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer by HardMirror(m): 1:14pm On Dec 15, 2018
NPComplete:

You are so daft. U are probably the biggest morøn ever to register on this forum. If u could read the first line of my comment and still foolishly write this nonsense u wrote then there is no hope for u. Your brain has been replaced with olive oil.

LMAO. Na so people dey mumu?
this comment really cracked me up

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Duality Nature Of Jesus Christ / Sabbath Holy-day. A day of selfless services & doing what pleases GOD / Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.