Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,673 members, 7,809,562 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:16 AM

Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. - Properties (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. (38470 Views)

My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! / Ghana Landlady Gives Female Nigerian Student Quit Notice Over Noise During Sex / Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Evangkatsoulis: 1:28pm On Dec 16, 2018
Badb0y4lyf:
Hello barristers in the house I’m also in this same predicament mine was even worst the landlord gave quick notice just 6 months into my rent so my rent would elapse within a year and also with the stipulated 6 month quick notice. My question are 1) What is the legality of this? 2) what options does the tenant have or can explore? 3) what if I write to the landlord that I can move within a week and would request refund of my 6 month unused rent back and other funds that went into upgrading the house
Barristers In the house please I need your ever knowledgeable advice thanks.

Is the quit notice states that you leave after your rent expires, then you doesn't have to refund you nada.
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by greggng: 1:29pm On Dec 16, 2018
olaben16:

Thanks, moving out is not really a big deal, but you know the logistics involved in moving to a new apartment in Lagos, unprepared?

Moving entails budgeting.

So giving me just 2months after my rent to sort it out is my major concern

Pay your landlord a visit, humble yourself before him. Let him know you don't have money looking for new apartment. Remind him you have been a good tenant with no bad record. . No matter the number of years the matter spent in court, you will leave one day.
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Evangkatsoulis: 1:30pm On Dec 16, 2018
maasoap:

Lol. Very wrong calculation up there. The landlord is trying to be clever by half and you fell for it. Law recognises 6 months after the current rent is due. He has four months to go, so you want him to be looking for another money to pay rent when the one he paid is still active? Law is not stupid

Can you post links(.gov) that states "6 months after the current rent is due"?
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by shelawzs: 1:41pm On Dec 16, 2018
Best Advice... consult a lawyer and pay his fees....so that you can get the correct legal position....all the people saying 6months bla bla....they are not in the know of the clauses in the agreements you signed with the landlord, he might have limited the usual duration provide in the law for evicting a yearly tenant....Just get a lawyer...simple
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Bbdealer(m): 1:44pm On Dec 16, 2018
Mr Oga your landlord try for you. You are supposed to pay for the duration of your quit notice. This is the misconception tenants usually make. When you are given quit notice you are ment to pay the rent. But some people think that is when you will stay free and not pay it is very wrong. If you sue your landlord no matter what or where you can never win as long as you where given a tenancy agreement and you signed. There is always a clause there you agreeing to vacate the premises when ever the landlord tells you to.

2 Likes

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by OhiOfIhima: 1:45pm On Dec 16, 2018
flexshop:
From now till April is 4 months, add 2 months to that and you get 6 months. The most you can get extra is 7 days. Going to court is just a waste of time and resources

His tenancy hasn't expired, I am vr sure d landlord knew abt it n he want to play smart on him.... It should be six months after his expiration date, dat is from 1st day of May 2019 till 31st of October 2019.. Period, dat is wat d law says for someone on a yearly payment for Lasgidi sha.
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by crafteck(m): 1:52pm On Dec 16, 2018
Nlearn:
Just Make Plans To Move Your Things Out Of His House
If You Can Pay Ur Rents For Years Without Ownin Him

You Can Rent Another Apartment

Am A Tenant And Also A Landlord

You will Understand More when you have ur own Properties

Yes The Landlord In This Case. Is Wrong

But u should not follow suit

Maybe God Is Preparing You For A Better Place.. even when u think that where u are is the best

Smartest comment I've seen, the house is his source of income, you gain nothing punishing him with it since by God's grace you will also become a landlord, there are empty houses in lagos where owners prefer to keep fowls than humans and to an extent, they are right

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by condomuser: 1:54pm On Dec 16, 2018
Is your landlord an Ewedu Republican, a flat head or Jubril descendant ?

olaben16:
Good morning Nairalanders.
Please help a fellow with an advice this morning.

So, two weeks ago my landlord came to the compound, and said the caretaker who was handling the building for him was no longer in charge that they have parted ways.

Then we all complained of the state of affairs between tenants and how only some of us have been shouldering the responsibilities of repairs, and others are never contributing.

For the records, there are only four flats, two up and two down.

In his response, he said he was disappointed that we were not cooperating as neighbors.

Without proffering any solution, he left only for him to come this morning with quit notice for all for tenants.

That we should pack out two months after expiration of our various rent.

Now it should be noted that I have never owned him rent, and we pay yearly.

My current rent will expire April 30th 2019.

Now my question is this.

Is that how quit notices are served?

Is it right to give a tenant that pays yearly rent just two months to pack out?

I have never been involved with this landlord/tenant wahala, so don't know the best action to take.

Please legal people in the house, I need your advice.

Your advice will be very helpful in my next line of action.

God bless you all.

Help a brother by pushing it for me.

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by InvertedHammer: 1:54pm On Dec 16, 2018
/
Get a "charge and bail" lawyer and sue the landlord.

Adjournments and strike should buy you another one year. The judge may even collapse on the trial day and the postponement becomes indefinite.

/
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by rOsy247(f): 1:56pm On Dec 16, 2018
INDUSTRIALFAN:
pls where did he say some people's rents re expiring next month? For all we know, the others might have more time left than the OP

Even when it's believed we barely read articles or write-up to the end in Nigeria it doesn't mean we shouldnt make an effort. Go to the 7th paragraph of op's post you'll see it clearly written that he gave just two months to each tenant after expiration of their individual rent. Go back to it. Besides, there's nowhere in my previous post, I categorically stated that anyone's rent expires next month. It's under probability cos I don't have the fact just like you. Learn to read and understand. Secondly, others MIGHT just have this month left which is shorter than op's rent duration as well and I'm still standing on my first post. Don't involve me in unnecessary argument mbok

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by condomuser: 1:57pm On Dec 16, 2018

Is your landlord an Ewedu Republican, a flat head or Jubril descendant ?

olaben16:
Good morning Nairalanders.
Please help a fellow with an advice this morning.

So, two weeks ago my landlord came to the compound, and said the caretaker who was handling the building for him was no longer in charge that they have parted ways.

Then we all complained of the state of affairs between tenants and how only some of us have been shouldering the responsibilities of repairs, and others are never contributing.

For the records, there are only four flats, two up and two down.

In his response, he said he was disappointed that we were not cooperating as neighbors.

Without proffering any solution, he left only for him to come this morning with quit notice for all for tenants.

That we should pack out two months after expiration of our various rent.

Now it should be noted that I have never owned him rent, and we pay yearly.

My current rent will expire April 30th 2019.

Now my question is this.

Is that how quit notices are served?

Is it right to give a tenant that pays yearly rent just two months to pack out?

I have never been involved with this landlord/tenant wahala, so don't know the best action to take.

Please legal people in the house, I need your advice.

Your advice will be very helpful in my next line of action.

God bless you all.

Help a brother by pushing it for me.

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Evangkatsoulis: 2:02pm On Dec 16, 2018
gypsey:
Mmm...
so what would you Advice me then?

2 of my tenants have been living in one of my properties for nearly 2 years without paying Any rent,

Just because i don't live in Nigeria. look! a landlord can decide to evict all his tenants without having to give a reasons, it's his property afterall!!

As long as he gives enough Eviction Notice, And 2 months happens to be Enough notice.

Send Robbers make them pack any thing/money them see there.
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by bendike: 2:15pm On Dec 16, 2018
post=73888589:
Barristers in the house.... please we need you here!

"Buhari is working cool grin"

BBq this wan you no comment as it concerns rent matter, i decided to preempt you. LOL
Happy Sunday grin
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Diso60090(m): 2:17pm On Dec 16, 2018
omoowo8888:

Tell him to take the case to court....he would be the one pleading with you guys...he must give you atleast 6 months....Fashola signed a bill into law which covers something like this.

Fashola don pay he rent finish wey he go sign the bill
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Neduzze5(m): 2:28pm On Dec 16, 2018
rOsy247:
I doubt if it's legally right for such short notice

Rosy, how far. Greetings. How can I contact you?
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Goddys(m): 2:34pm On Dec 16, 2018
Blackfire:

The first thing is not to panic.... Can you do that?

Now this is my advise, at the expiration of your rent, go and meet him for renewal, if he refused and ask you to park out...

Like I said don't panic..

He will have to bring a note from the court...
If he does that be sure to live in that house for 8months without paying rent...

Can you act?
When you go to court , act like an orphan ,play the victim...

Thank me later

Hey where did you get this rubbish you just ranted? I don't know when every dick and harry on nairaland has turned to a lawyer to be giving legal advice.
In Court, I always pray for mesne profit and any unpaid rent on any recovery of premises brief I am holding. Whenever a tenant wants to surreptitiously vacate without paying any accruing rent or mesne profit, I ensure I track them and get a writ of FIFA and have their property seized by the court until they pay same.

Nobody should spoil another's business. To build a house is expensive
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by wirinet(m): 2:34pm On Dec 16, 2018
Nlearn:
Just Make Plans To Move Your Things Out Of His House
If You Can Pay Ur Rents For Years Without Ownin Him

You Can Rent Another Apartment

Am A Tenant And Also A Landlord

You will Understand More when you have ur own Properties

Yes The Landlord In This Case. Is Wrong

But u should not follow suit

Maybe God Is Preparing You For A Better Place.. even when u think that where u are is the best

It's not easy to just move out like that. The logistic of moving and resettling in a new environment can be daunting, especially for a family man. The children might need to change schools and you might be in the middle of the school session . The wife's business and workplace might be near the present house, not to talk about the husband's. Then there is the extra cost of looking for a new house, moving and settling down. You have to pay new agency and agreement and caution fees apart from higher rent, I am not even talking about moving costs and renovations to bring the new house to your taste level. You might find it difficult to raise all these money in 6 months.

It's a travesty of justice to be forced to move just after two or three years of renting an apartment and forced to go through the motions once again.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by wirinet(m): 2:42pm On Dec 16, 2018
gypsey:
Mmm...
so what would you Advice me then?

2 of my tenants have been living in one of my properties for nearly 2 years without paying Any rent,

Just because i don't live in Nigeria. look! a landlord can decide to evict all his tenants without having to give a reasons, it's his property afterall!!

As long as he gives enough Eviction Notice, And 2 months happens to be Enough notice.

Why allow people stay in your property for up to two years without ejecting them legally? Can't you afford a lawyer? If tenants refuse to pay for up to two years, it's most likely they would never pay, as it is cheaper to just pack out and get a new apartment.

Landlord should not just have the power to evict tenants at their wimps and caprices, without reasons. It would lead to blackmail and exploitation of tenants.
It takes time, logistics and money to move to another apartment. This is Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by wirinet(m): 2:48pm On Dec 16, 2018
crafteck:

Smartest comment I've seen, the house is his source of income, you gain nothing punishing him with it since by God's grace you will also become a landlord, there are empty houses in lagos where owners prefer to keep fowls than humans and to an extent, they are right

Where did you get the idea that the Poster wants to punish the landlord? The OP said his rent is fully paid and prepared to renew at the expiration of the present rent.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Nobody: 2:54pm On Dec 16, 2018
Evangkatsoulis:

Send Robbers make them pack any thing/money them see there.
Funny Enough these 2 families don't have Anything. grin one of them has 4 children and he is jobless.
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by crafteck(m): 3:04pm On Dec 16, 2018
wirinet:

Where did you get the idea that the Poster wants to punish the landlord? The OP said his rent is fully paid and prepared to renew at the expiration of the present rent.

He has 6 months notice, includes 2 months free, what else does he need a lawyer for? He didn't need when some tenants couldn't help maintain the house, if you've spent like 30m building a house and a tenant can't change he's bathroom tap of 1500 that is leaking water hence weakening the decking, you would understand
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by crafteck(m): 3:05pm On Dec 16, 2018
gypsey:
Funny Enough these 2 families don't have Anything. grin one of them has 4 children and he is jobless.

Then he can't afford the house, why stay
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Nobody: 3:05pm On Dec 16, 2018
wirinet:

Why allow people stay in your property for up to two years without ejecting them legally? Can't you afford a lawyer? If tenants refuse to pay for up to two years, it's most likely they would never pay, as it is cheaper to just pack out and get a new apartment.

Landlord should not just have the power to evict tenants at their wimps and caprices, without reasons. It would lead to blackmail and exploitation of tenants.
It takes time, logistics and money to move to another apartment. This is Nigeria.
I didn't allow them, my caretaker did. And Every time i demand for rent they just keep promising, that's how it got the point of 2 years.

I Agree, but tenants should keep up with rent, landlords are not charity personals or Father christmas. grin we pay for repairs, council levies, Road construction levies, All kinda levies. s it's not easy for us.

As i ve Asserted earlier, As long as i give Enough Eviction Notice to my tenant i have the right to my property. it doesn't matter if they are good, rent paying tenants.

If i still have their rent in Advance, i would let their rents run out before they move out.

I try to be a fair landlord.
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by crafteck(m): 3:07pm On Dec 16, 2018
wirinet:

2 years starts from 2 days then weeks systematically a massed through excuses
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by NoToPile: 3:08pm On Dec 16, 2018
The landlord is smart, you have your 6months notice so I dont get what the whole hullabo is about.

Its like people think the 6months notice means after your rent expires or they think the 6months notice is rent free?

You want to sue him after he gave you a 6month notice? You cant use the 6months to plan your exit.

If it were some landlords they will wait till your rent expire and if you dont renew immediately they will give you 7days notice saying you are a tenant at will.

Some tenants are always looking for how to cause trouble

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Lordsocrates: 3:08pm On Dec 16, 2018
younglawya:

Completely incorrect
Like i said, its copy n paste, n not a research wrk.
If u hv d correct one, help him out.
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Nobody: 3:09pm On Dec 16, 2018
crafteck:

Then he can't afford the house, why stay
It Amazes me, I guess i feel sorry for his children, don"t want them to be homeless.

But i am in the process of Evicting them. served the second notice, just waiting for it to run out.
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Lordsocrates: 3:10pm On Dec 16, 2018
braine:

This is the old law o.

Yes bhroo, jus copied everything to give him an idea of it, and the new law wont be too drastically different. But u can share ur knowledge
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Lordsocrates: 3:11pm On Dec 16, 2018
Boyooosa:
I think he should also wish you the same...
U dong turn him P.A or what ?
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Lordsocrates: 3:12pm On Dec 16, 2018
Boyooosa:
I think he should also wish you the same...
U dong turn him P.A or what ?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Lawrenco Antonio Cardoso Family Takes Possession Of Apapa Land With 300 Houses / Construction Of 5 Bedroom Duplex And a 4 Bedroom Bungalow in Imo State. / Destiny’s Shop: Angry Landlord Destroys Tenant’s Salon Over Unpaid Rent In Lekki

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.