Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,414 members, 7,819,486 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:04 PM

Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. (38637 Views)

My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! / Ghana Landlady Gives Female Nigerian Student Quit Notice Over Noise During Sex / Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Norabay(f): 11:23am On Dec 16, 2018
Guy receive it God wil give you the grace to build your own house in Jesus name.

2 Likes

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by balanceofterror1(m): 11:24am On Dec 16, 2018
bettercreature:
He did the right thing since you still have 4 months left plus 2 extra months Beside do you think you can afford to pay legal fees to sue your landlord? Money you supposed to use to rent another house
Just pack your things and leave it’s not your house

Nonsense, that's why Nigeria will never move forward a lot of HOLLIER THAN THOU.
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by udemzyudex(m): 11:24am On Dec 16, 2018
dgee1:

Without trying to start a tribal war here, honestly when I am not surprised you said this. I've made my little research, people from your part of the country are always very very hard tenants.

Now listen, the 'entitled 6months and 3months notice' you mentioned are NOT supposed to be free. It could be given while your rent still run. Go and educate yourself about this and stop putting people into wahala.

I should be the one telling you to go and educate yourself mister.

If you can't make your post quoting the Lagos tenancy law then STFU.
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by udemzyudex(m): 11:25am On Dec 16, 2018
LegalOpinion:

I am telling you the position of the law. If you feel it's not correct, then point to that section of the LTL?

And I hope you also know that the Lagos tenancy law does not apply to all areas in Lagos State?

Funny man. Educate me pls, which part does it apply to?
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by maasoap(m): 11:25am On Dec 16, 2018
2papa:
You Said "That we should pack out two months after expiration of our various rent." My brother that Landlord loves you guys. In Port Harcourt Landlord can ask you pack out of his house even before your house expires. Just pack your things out without making problems or Case with him. You may Lose the Case and your money and Time

And people just sheepishly packed and move out to the streets? Exaggeration!

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by braine(m): 11:26am On Dec 16, 2018
Lordsocrates:
Aww mosh u wan pay for the legal advice ? #weytinLawyersDeyDoSef.

I no get time to advice you shaa, so make i do copy and paste from my reading bits.

A tenancy may be terminated by either the landlord or the tenant.
Where a tenancy that was entered into for a specific period (i.e. six months) comes to the end of the six month period, a notice of termination does not have to be issued.
If that period was 6 months or more and the tenant intends to continue in occupation, he/she must inform the landlord of that intention between one and three months before the six month period ends.
It is important to note that it is an offence to purport to serve an invalid notice of termination and then act in reliance on it in a way that adversely affects the interests of the person on whom it was served.
It is vitally important for the party who intends to terminate the lease to serve a valid notice on the other party.

2. The landlord must serve a valid notice of termination on the tenant
A valid notice of termination must be:
(a) in writing
(b) signed by the landlord or by his/her authorised agent
(c) specify the date of service
(d) where the tenancy has been more than 6 months state the reason for termination.
(e) specify the termination date, the tenant has 24 hours from this date to leave.
(f) state that any issue as to the validity of the notice or the right of the landlord to serve it must be referred to the Private Residential Tenancies Board within 28 days from the receipt of the notice.
(g) The notice may be served on the tenant in person, may be left at the rented property, or may be posted to the property. If it appears that the tenant is not in occupation, the notice may be served on the outside of the property.

3. Notice periods
Subject to the terms of the lease (tenancy) the notice period to terminate a tenant’s tenancy is determined by the duration of the tenancy as follows:
(a) Less than 6 months 28 days notice
(b) 6 or more months but less than 1 year 35 days notice
(c) 1 year or more but less than 2 years 42 days notice
(d) 2 years or more but less than 3 years 56 days notice
(e) 3 years or more but less than 4 years 84 days notice
(f) 4 or more years 112 days notice
4. Valid reasons for terminating a tenancy that has lasted more than 6 months and less than 4 years
Where a tenancy has lasted more than 6 months and less than 4 years, the landlord must state in the termination notice the reason the tenancy is being terminated and the termination will not be valid unless that reason relates to one of the following:
(a) the tenant has failed to comply with the obligations of the tenancy.
(Unless the termination is for serious anti-social behaviour the tenant must have been given an opportunity to rectify the matter and have failed to have done so for the termination to be valid.)
(b) the landlord intends to sell the property within the next 3 months.
(c ) the property is no longer suited to the needs of the occupying household.
(d) the landlord requires the dwelling for own or family member occupation.
(e) vacant possession is required for substantial refurbishment of the property.
(f) the landlord intends to change the use of the property.
In the cases of (d), (e) and (f) of the listed termination grounds, the termination notice must contain certain additional details as specified in the Act relating to the former tenant being given first refusal to resume the tenancy should the property become available for re-letting.

5. The tenant must serve a valid notice of termination on the landlord
A valid notice of termination must be:
(a) in writing
(b) signed by the tenant
(c) specify the date of service
(d) specify the termination date (the tenant has 24 hours from this date to leave
(e) state that any issue as to the validity of the notice or the right of the tenant to serve it must be referred to the Private Residential Tenancies Board within 28 days from the receipt of the notice.
(f) The notice may be served on the landlord or his/her agent in person, or may be left at or posted to the landlord/agent contact address.

6. Notice periods
Subject to the terms of the lease (tenancy) the notice period to terminate a landlord’s tenancy is determined by the duration of the tenancy as follows:
(a) Less than 6 months: 28 days notice.
(b) 6 or more months but less than 1 year: 35 days notice.
(c) 1 year or more but less than 2 years: 42 days notice.
(d) 2 years or more but less than 3 years: 56 days notice.
(e) 3 years or more but less than 4 years: 84 days notice.
(f) 4 or more years: 112 days notice.
(g)The tenant need not supply a reason for terminating the tenancy except where terminating for a breach of the landlord’s obligations or where the required notice period is only 7 days.
(h) Notice of termination of tenancy with multiple tenants
Where the tenancy is let to a number of tenants jointly, the notice of termination will be valid if it is signed by any one of the multiple tenants on behalf of all the tenants. The other tenants must be named in the notice. A purported notice is not valid if the other named tenants have not agreed to its service.
(i) Deemed termination of tenancy by tenant
A tenancy is deemed to have been terminated by the tenant where the tenant has vacated the dwelling without giving the required amount of notice and is in arrears of rent or vacates without any notice and is at least 28 days in arrears of rent.

7. Lesser Notice Periods by Landlords and Tenants
(a) Only 7 days notice need be given by a landlord to a tenant where the termination notice results from serious anti-social behaviour by the tenant or behaviour that is threatening to the fabric of the property or the property containing it.
(b) Only 7 days notice need be given by the tenant to the landlord where the reason for the termination is that the behaviour of the landlord poses an imminent danger of serious injury or death or danger to the fabric of the property or the property containing the property.
(c) Otherwise the normal notice period for terminating a tenancy by reason of non-compliance with tenancy obligations is 28 days for both landlords and tenants where the failure has been notified in writing and not remedied within a specified period.
(d) Where the breach of the tenant’s obligations is a failure to pay the amount of rent due, a termination notice may only be served following the written notification by the landlord to the tenant of the amount owing and the rent still being owed 14 days after that notification is received.
(e) Landlords and tenants are free to agree a lesser notice period than those specified in the Act. However, such an agreement may only be entered into at or after the time that one of the parties indicates to the other the intention to terminate the tenancy. It is not, for example, legal to agree to a shorter notice period at the time the tenancy is being first entered into.

8. Greater Notice Periods by Landlords and Tenants
Tenants and landlords are free to agree longer notice periods than those specified in the Act. However the maximum notice period that can be given by either party to terminate a tenancy where the notice is being issued during its first 6 months is 70 days.

9. Sub-tenants
(a) When a landlord is terminating a tenancy that is sub-let, the landlord must notify the head-tenant of any requirement to terminate the subtenancy. If so, the landlord must also serve the sub-tenant with a copy of the notice of termination.
(b) Where the landlord wishes the head-tenant to terminate the sub tenancy, the head-tenant must serve a notice of termination on the subtenant within 28 days of the head-tenant’s receipt of the notice of termination from the landlord.
(c) If the head-tenant intends to refer a dispute to the Board about the validity of the termination, the notice served on the sub-tenant must require the sub-tenant to inform the head-tenant within 10 days whether or not the sub-tenant also wishes to dispute the validity of the termination and the head-tenant may not refer the dispute until 15 days after the service of that notice on the sub-tenant.

10. Where the landlord does not require the head-tenant to terminate the sub-tenancy
(a) the head-tenant must notify the sub-tenant within 28 days of the contents of the termination notice received.
(b) the head-tenant must also notify the sub-tenant if he/she intends to refer a dispute about the validity of the notice to the Board and of the outcome of the dispute within 14 days of receipt of the Board’s determination order.
(c) If the termination of the head-tenancy is found to be valid, the sub-tenant would then become the tenant of the landlord.

This is the old law o.
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by IFNOTGOD(m): 11:27am On Dec 16, 2018
olaben16:
He came with the excuse that he wants to carry out repairs on the property.

Forgetting that this is Lagos were getting a house is like a 4 unit course.

New rent, agent fees, agreement fees.
Am even hearing of a new one called caution fees.

Please, what should I do next, waiting for your contributions

to me u should rejoice

is it ur destiny to b a tenant all ur life?

Guy if you can pay d rent without owing den I believe u can afford half plot at ofada, simawa n other low cost areas
Build one room n Bleep landlord

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Dshocker(m): 11:27am On Dec 16, 2018
bigtt76:
At bolded.... The more reason the judge would uphold the notice to evict you. You have no money but want to stay in the house... Who will be paying your bills and who will pay the bills on the house the landlord is meant to pay?

My landlord wanted to evict me just like that in 2009 and this was my method.
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Mizwisdom(f): 11:27am On Dec 16, 2018
Badb0y4lyf:
Hello barristers in the house I’m also in this same predicament mine was even worst the landlord gave quick notice just 6 months into my rent so my rent would elapse within a year and also with the stipulated 6 month quick notice. My question are 1) What is the legality of this? 2) what options does the tenant have or can explore? 3) what if I write to the landlord that I can move within a week and would request refund of my 6 month unused rent back and other funds that went into upgrading the house
Barristers In the house please I need your ever knowledgeable advice thanks.

What did you do to offend him? If it's something you can apologize go and make amends. I can't figure anything he has done wrong, lawfully

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Lomprico2: 11:28am On Dec 16, 2018
olaben16:
Good morning Nairalanders.
Please help a fellow with an advice this morning.

So, two weeks ago my landlord came to the compound, and said the caretaker who was handling the building for him was no longer in charge that they have parted ways.

Then we all complained of the state of affairs between tenants and how only some of us have been shouldering the responsibilities of repairs, and others are never contributing.

For the records, there are only four flats, two up and two down.

In his response, he said he was disappointed that we were not cooperating as neighbors.

Without proffering any solution, he left only for him to come this morning with quit notice for all for tenants.

That we should pack out two months after expiration of our various rent.

Now it should be noted that I have never owned him rent, and we pay yearly.

My current rent will expire April 30th 2019.

Now my question is this.

Is that how quit notices are served?

Is it right to give a tenant that pays yearly rent just two months to pack out?

I have never been involved with this landlord/tenant wahala, so don't know the best action to take.

Please legal people in the house, I need your advice.

Your advice will be very helpful in my next line of action.

God bless you all.

Help a brother by pushing it for me.

The landlord is nice giving u 2 months grace. U still have like 6 months from now to prepare. Jejely move out when due and save urself unnecessary stress and money

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Vatsyayana: 11:29am On Dec 16, 2018
olaben16:

Thank you very much, I won't make trouble at all with him.

But are you saying I should wait till June before I serve him?

Thanks again sir.

My advice is for you to look for a new apartment. He knows what he's doing. He will successfully eject you. Please don't struggle with him.

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Dshocker(m): 11:30am On Dec 16, 2018
doctordauda:

If you try this shiit in my property , i can assure you that you wont be alive to witness that 2yrs.

If you know, you know.

Where you power stops,is where someone else's power starts,everybody isn't the same and some people are more wicked than you

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Mike008(m): 11:30am On Dec 16, 2018
Get a lawyer to write him. Your landlord is wrong
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Dshocker(m): 11:31am On Dec 16, 2018
MarianaTrench:

Why would you want to stay in somebody's house for 2 years without paying rent? angry

Would you tolerate that if you were a landlord who builds his house from sweat and tears?!

Nope,only to done to wicked landlord
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Dshocker(m): 11:32am On Dec 16, 2018
bigtt76:
At bolded.... The more reason the judge would uphold the notice to evict you. You have no money but want to stay in the house... Who will be paying your bills and who will pay the bills on the house the landlord is meant to pay?

But this method are only done to wicked landlord,that doesn't want their tenants to drink water in peace
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by braine(m): 11:34am On Dec 16, 2018
Reference:
People looking for long term stability in a short term economy. If things were right you should be paying your rent to a mortgage institution while living in your own home. This huge investment opportunity we are already working on and on a few years we will have the capacity to formally launch.

This is what we need right now. I'd like to be part of of this arrangement.
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by biafran1stson(m): 11:34am On Dec 16, 2018
The notice is legal . Plan yourself and leave the house. No matter what you must leave the house because it's not your own

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Vatsyayana: 11:35am On Dec 16, 2018
INDUSTRIALFAN:
Oga calculate well, he gave 6 months notice January to April 4 months plus 2 extra months 6 months. If he goes to court, he'll only be wasting his time and money. Best to go speak to the landlord on a personal one on one level since he has always held up his own end of the bargain. The Landlord must have also sought legal advice too.

In Lagos, the 6months notice is not before expiration of the tenancy but before instituting an action for recovery of premises (commencible with a 7 days notice).

2 Likes

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by MarianaTrench: 11:37am On Dec 16, 2018
WritePal:

Op, when you see these kinds of comments above on these thread that offer no explanations for their shallow outburst (cos they know the truth, but will hide it), KNOW THEY ARE FELLOW LANDLORDS TOO, and only expressing their fears with their own tenants. Their fellow Shylock landlords are the ones clicking like and shares on the useless comments.

As long as you paid for rent (just as in any other commercial deal), the house belongs to you for the entire period of rent, NOT THE LANDLORD. So, don't let anyone come and bamboozle you.

Yes, don't make trouble, but don't give him an opportunity to intimidate you either. My simple input: Landlord-Tenant matter is a civil issue. He can't use force under any guise, except sanctioned by the court. So, don't be afraid of anything.

Talk to your lawyer about post-rent period legally accrued to you. Ignore the landlord. Ignore his fellows in the comments here. Let him go to court. Tell him you'll leave after 6 month of your rent expiration. Close the chapter. No argument. Move on.

What will he achieve by making this a legal matter?

The fee to be paid to lawyers for prosecuting this case will be better spent paying rent for another property

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by WarriAproko: 11:40am On Dec 16, 2018
udemzyudex:

Funny, Oga na you go pay for that 6 months, the 6 months grace given is for you use it and hustle and get out.

Why will I pay for the 6 months grace stipulated by the law?

Omo some landlords they use people anyhow ooo. Now I know why some landlords dey say them no dey agree take igbos again grin

Oga if you want to make case with your landlord you will stay 9 months + without paying shishi.

If to say i never get experience I for no argue but for wetin I know, me pay for the 6 months. I hear u.
no law stated u will live in that house free for 6months. My younger brother is a legal practitional. He dun handle all this type of battle before and won. On the landlord side
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by hardon1(m): 11:41am On Dec 16, 2018
All of you shouting take legal action! Take legal action are just deceiving you. You will end up wasting your money and time. the landlord can never forfeit his house for you (I trust lawyers, them go use una chop tire)
The house belong to the landlord and he is kind enough to give you a long notification. Start searching for a new place now, before that time, you will certainly find one and everyone will be at peace with each other
If you decide to start a court war with him, no matter how long it takes, you will still leave because the house belongs to him. so jejely find a place and leave with time

3 Likes

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Badb0y4lyf(m): 11:42am On Dec 16, 2018
Mizwisdom:

What did you do to offend him? If it's something you can apologize go and make amends. I can't figure anything he has done wrong, lawfully

She’s this MFM churchy kinda woman , my problem is a do’s and don’t are too much. We started having prolem when I first moved in and started closing the main at 10.30pm she said she wrote it in her agreement so I had to adjust to that timing cos I’m a chilling guy later I can’t wash my car in the compost my friend can’t come to visit she be thinking Dey wanna come rob and spying on her I cant even talk or play music she complains and it was too much so we didn’t really get along I can’t beg her cos right now we don’t talk I don’t greet her I just need a way to circumvent this and me not being on the losing end.
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by vicfy(m): 11:43am On Dec 16, 2018
olaben16:

So, two weeks ago my landlord came to the compound, and said the caretaker who was handling the building for him was no longer in charge that they have parted ways.

Then we all complained of the state of affairs between tenants and how only some of us have been shouldering the responsibilities of repairs, and others are never contributing.

In his response, he said he was disappointed that we were not cooperating as neighbors.

Without proffering any solution, he left only for him to come this morning with quit notice for all for tenants.

Now my question is this.

I have never been involved with this landlord/tenant wahala, so don't know the best action to take.

God bless you all.

For giving u guys dt much time, the man is really bent on quitting y'all. And I know how some tenants claim to own d house cos they've fixed one or two things in d therein. But if u really like d house, try n meet d man privately cos dt neighbour who is jiggering y'all to deal with d Landlord might've got an alternative plan. So wise up, Dude!

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by pawesome(m): 11:44am On Dec 16, 2018
Don't know why some people like stress... Oga, he gave you extra 2 months after your rent expires to pack.. Instead of dragging up n down, just kuku start de look for house.. You have 5 months plus to do so... Don't waste it dragging someone's stuff

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by WarriAproko: 11:45am On Dec 16, 2018
The notice can be serve anytime from the date u were given. It will start calculating weather u are not owing or not. If u have 6months rent left it can be serve till ur months expires. The landlord won on that. This days landlord dem dun wise. Wen dem see say u stillget some months left dem go give u dat notice till ur months go expire. Dem nor dey give notice again wen ur months dun expire. No house is free again.
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by buzorcharles(m): 11:48am On Dec 16, 2018
Meet with him privately and show him ur evidence of punctual payments be cos that what every landlord pray to get in a tenant. And tell him u are not ready to leave his apartment. If he insist then tell him no problem and do what MAGALAN advices.
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by dgee1(m): 11:49am On Dec 16, 2018
udemzyudex:

I should be the one telling you to go and educate yourself mister.

If you can't make your post quoting the Lagos tenancy law then STFU.

Again, without trying to be a tribal bigot, I'm not really surprised with all your comments on this thread. I've had encounters with people from your part of the country and know their psyche when it comes to landlord/tenant issues.

Funny enough these are the people that lord it over their landlords where they live and go out and sell fake drugs, shoes, electronics, just about anything. And when you detect it is fake and try to return their merchandise, hell will break loose. In these cases they are not wicked, only landlords taking authority over his property are wicked.

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Nagazi(m): 11:50am On Dec 16, 2018
[quote author=olaben16 post=73887826]Good morning Nairalanders.

Now my question is this.

God bless you all.

Ignore him. The is invalid in law. You are entitled to a 6-months notice which expire on 30/04/2019. Just forget about him and contact your lawyer if you have one
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by sophy17(m): 11:53am On Dec 16, 2018
olaben16:

Now my question is this.

God bless you all.

I am a legal Practitioner. I have read some very misleading advice here yet with several likes.
A yearly tenant is entitled to a clear six months notice to quit. It can be issued to a tenant inrespective of whether he is in arrears of rent or not but it must not end before the expiration of his current rent if he is not owing rent.
Key word here is CLEAR MONTHS, SIX MONTHS NOTICE FOA A YEARLY TENANT, AND YOU DONT HAVE TO BE OWING BEFORE YOU CAN BE ISSUED A QUIT NOTICE AND THE QN MUST NOT EXPIRE B4 YOUR RENT IF NOT OWING..

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by bigtt76(f): 11:55am On Dec 16, 2018
You won then because the landlord probably did not get a good lawyer grin the law listens to people in dire need though but if you make it look obvious you lose.

For example if a tenant who has been very good and up to date with rent suddenly loses his or her job or source of income, the court will understand and try to protect them but where that is not the case and you swore to that effect and was found out, you will be jailed for perjury naaaa in addition to being evicted grin

Dshocker:

My landlord wanted to evict me just like that in 2009 and this was my method.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

The State Of A Compound In Isolo After A Heavy Rainfall - Pics / Hilarious: Photo Of The Day / Lets Build This House.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.