Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,335 members, 7,819,172 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:18 PM

The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible (12535 Views)

My Personal Encounter With Sex And How It Almost Destroyed My Life / My Personal Encounter With Jesus On 8th June, 2019 / The Significance of Tithing and Firstfruits for Believers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by Righteousness89(m): 12:38pm On Dec 23, 2018
asuustrike1:

Same applies to those that don't tithe or steal from tithe offerings
Well Said! Very correct!
Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by Righteousness89(m): 12:41pm On Dec 23, 2018
femicyrus:
you just gave out yourself with this response. one word for you "Repent"
Amen!

I do that Constantly!Ensure u Repent also...

We live in Dangerous times...
Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by Goddyj(m): 12:42pm On Dec 23, 2018
I still wonder why the greatest of all Prophets, Jesus Christ never collected any Tithe undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by Ohraykon: 12:43pm On Dec 23, 2018
Xze author=Righteousness89 post=74094633]

1st Question

YES ! Our Churches carry out Charity , Just that some might not involve Publicity stunts for that! My Church does that Massively but not for publicity stunts!

Having said that there could be some wolves in sheep Clothings who do not !

Question 2

It depends on how u saw the statement! I am not a member but I Watched that program where The servant of GOD made that Statement! I didn't see it as a Boast! It was more of a Encouragement! He said and I quote " Some persons say I am worth $150 million ! How can you say so! I am worth All Things! I am Dangerously Rich"
My brother Everyone who Believes in JESUS CHRIST is worth all things!
Provb 23:7 says as a Man thinketh in his heart, so is He

1cor 3:21 says let no man glory In Himself , All things are yours!

It's a choice to say Positive to yourself!

3. Tithe giving has no fixed way! It's based on how u get your profits, Gains, salary etc..

4. Whoever dwells on Just Tithe payment is more of a Criminal!
The Primary purpose of JESUS CHRIST is to Seek and Save the Lost not to collect Tithes!

Having said that , It is Important to teach on Tithes , Givings and Offerings as it is GOD'S Principle to Godly Prosperity!

5. NO! Freeze has gone about a Right talk with a Wrong Approach! It's really Dangerous because some of men being Insulted are Men Called by GOD! Even if they go Astray, GOD HAS HIS way of Dealing with them! But the person who insults them Insults GOD Because it's GOD that called Him and not us!

I'll tell u ,Freeze has led many to things they can't recover from Except by Mercy of GOD.. all due to their Tongues!

May GOD HELP US

[/quote]pastor worshipper u no get sense at all
Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by Ohraykon: 12:44pm On Dec 23, 2018
buygala:
There we go again sad

Tithe this...Tithe that...

The more you guys try to defend tithing as practiced in Nigerian churches, the more the stink and rot in that doctrine becomes obvious....

God gave us brains but these pastors expect us to abandon it at home when coming to church....

As for me...i have stopped going to church because I always get very irritated at the amount of brainwashing and silly rationalizations of the shameless monetization of Christianity that goes on in there...

The Bible commands us to cut off our right hand or any other part of our body if it causes us to sin...The Nigerian Church causes me to Sin...So I have it cut off....smiley

No Tithe ..No serial offerings...No Pastor's Birthday Levy......No sowing of seed in The pastor's wife's life..No "The Lord has just laid it in my heart that he wants to bless 10 men today...men who will take the leap of faith and donate their cars to the body of Christ...come out with your car keys and particulars and Claim your blessing"....

Life is very Simple in Nigeria....But Nigerian Pastors and politicians are the ones making it hard.

God bless you our churches are scam i wonder why people neva wake up
Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by rayobaba(m): 12:45pm On Dec 23, 2018
Sammiejokes:

So after your Bible study, The number one reason for tithe is to bless pastor. You intentionally left the part that said you should use ur tithe to buy whatever your heart desire and merry with your family and do not forget the Levite. Thieves.
am telling u, people are not sincere when interpreting. After he did all digging, he left out ds part. Maybe ds part is not in his/her bible. They only pick d area dt drive home their point.
Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by Righteousness89(m): 12:47pm On Dec 23, 2018
Ohraykon:
Xze author=Righteousness89 post=74094633]

1st Question

YES ! Our Churches carry out Charity , Just that some might not involve Publicity stunts for that! My Church does that Massively but not for publicity stunts!

Having said that there could be some wolves in sheep Clothings who do not !

Question 2

It depends on how u saw the statement! I am not a member but I Watched that program where The servant of GOD made that Statement! I didn't see it as a Boast! It was more of a Encouragement! He said and I quote " Some persons say I am worth $150 million ! How can you say so! I am worth All Things! I am Dangerously Rich"
My brother Everyone who Believes in JESUS CHRIST is worth all things!
Provb 23:7 says as a Man thinketh in his heart, so is He

1cor 3:21 says let no man glory In Himself , All things are yours!

It's a choice to say Positive to yourself!

3. Tithe giving has no fixed way! It's based on how u get your profits, Gains, salary etc..

4. Whoever dwells on Just Tithe payment is more of a Criminal!
The Primary purpose of JESUS CHRIST is to Seek and Save the Lost not to collect Tithes!

Having said that , It is Important to teach on Tithes , Givings and Offerings as it is GOD'S Principle to Godly Prosperity!

5. NO! Freeze has gone about a Right talk with a Wrong Approach! It's really Dangerous because some of men being Insulted are Men Called by GOD! Even if they go Astray, GOD HAS HIS way of Dealing with them! But the person who insults them Insults GOD Because it's GOD that called Him and not us!

I'll tell u ,Freeze has led many to things they can't recover from Except by Mercy of GOD.. all due to their Tongues!

May GOD HELP US

pastor worshipper u no get sense at all
My Brother Ohraykon, May GOD BLESS you and CHANGE U.. Dts all I have for u
Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by gram: 12:48pm On Dec 23, 2018
Righteousness89:
What is Tithe?
Tithe is a Tenth of your Profit, Gains, Rewards,etc Heb 7:4, Gen 14:20

1. Tithing is Biblical: The Matter of Tithing didn't Just jump out from the Sky.. Tithing Orginated since the days of Our Creator, GOD ALMIGHTY Dealings with Man.
Genesis 14:20, Nehimiah 13:12, 2Chronicles 31:12, 2Chronicles 31:5-6, Numbers 18:24, Malachi 3:8-10

2. Tithes are Meant to be Brought into GOD'S House I.e A Place where GOD ALMIGHTY IS WORSHIPPED, Overseen by a Servant of GOD:
Nehemiah 13:12-13, 1Chronicle 26:20, Malachi 3:10, 2Chronicles 31:11-12, Gen 14:18, Provb 3:9

3. How Is it to Be Distributed:

A. The Priests, Pastors, Apostles:
Nehimiah 13:5, Neh 12:44, Acts 4:36, Acts 4:34-35, Numbers 18:21, 24-26, Galatians 6:6

B. The Brethern in Need I.e GOD'S People In Need.. Acts 4:34-35, Romans 12:13

C. The Poor in the Society: Luke 18:22-25..

Finally, In as Much Tithing is Commanded by GOD , we should Know that Just Tithing does not Take anyone to Heaven..
Salvation Through JESUS CHRIST Is and Remains The Only Way to HEAVEN.
Luke 18:9-14, Luke 11:42...

Having said that a Believer who has Accepted JESUS CHRIST and does not Tithe, May Have Himself/Herself to Blame...

If you are in a Place where you feel your Tithe is not used for what it's to be, Instead of Going Against your Creator, I think it's Best you Change the place...

And as For the Priest, Levites, Pastors, Bishops, etc who are playing and feasting with the Tithes of the People, I Leave You to GOD ALMIGHTY! But I advise you change your Ways.. because JUDGEMENT will begin in the House of GOD. 1 Peter 4:17. So Fear GOD because it is a Terrible and Fearful Thing to fall into the Hands of the LIVING GOD . Heb10:31

GOD BLESS US ALL!

Good. You contradict your self a little sir, please shed more light on these:

1. If tithing is also meant for priests, at what point do we say they are feasting with it? When they have consumed 1%, 50%, 99%. If you are entitled to something, how could you possibly be feasting with it? are you not taking what rightly belongs to you?

2. If tithing is also meant for the poor, how much is meant for them, 1%, 60%?

3. What biblical criteria should be used to share the tithes among those you mentioned are entitled to it?

4. Is the sharing of tithes subjective and dependent on individual church leadership?

5. What does the Bible mean in Malachi 3:10 when it talks about about “ that there may be food in my house” what food? Who is food meant for? Do overfilled people also need food? Will the poor and hungry always need food? Who then, will always need food and should eat the food?
Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by Ohraykon: 12:52pm On Dec 23, 2018
Righteousness89:
My Brother Ohraykon, May GOD BLESS you and CHANGE U.. Dts all I have for u
may God bless you also n give u sense u lack it enjoy ya life
Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by gr8tone: 1:02pm On Dec 23, 2018
[b] In as much as I agree with the angle in which you look at tithe I still want to get some clarifications, if you can offer that, I will be glad. Those to whom the tithe is mean for are those you have mentioned excluding the Pastors because the Bible only recognises Levites which the Pastors stand to represent today. In those days, the Levites had no sources of livelihood because they were dedicated to the service of God at temple of and were not paid. Nowadays, the pastors are paid for their services in the church, in some cases, even the school fees of their children are catered for by the church. Most churches nowadays have what is called welfare department for the needy and the sources of resources to take care of the neeedy doesn't comes from the tithe but the members of the church, either through wilful donation or agreed amount. Does it still make sense to pay tithe in our today's churches, taking cognisance of the raised points.? May God deliver me from my own knowledge of Him. I always get joy in contributing for missionaries than paying of tithe.[/b]

1 Like

Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by Forlardara(m): 1:02pm On Dec 23, 2018
Do we have Levites in Nigeria? Who are the Priests? Instead of you to use your available data to preach Jesus, you are here talking about tithes. So if I don't pay tithes, I won't make heaven? May God forgive you. Amen.
Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by sweetrace(f): 1:07pm On Dec 23, 2018
Righteousness89:
Sir! What is tithing! Tithing is Giving!

Open your Mind up!

Tithes was mandatory was a fixed percent PAID in the Old Testament. They did not give tithes. They paid what they owed. You give offerings.
And I am a female.

Please try and be accurate in all things and stop asking me to open my mind to your inaccuracies. Go and study before you imagine to teach others.
Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by Emeikus: 1:11pm On Dec 23, 2018
Righteousness89:
What is Tithe?
Tithe is a Tenth of your Profit, Gains, Rewards,etc Heb 7:4, Gen 14:20

1. Tithing is Biblical: The Matter of Tithing didn't Just jump out from the Sky.. Tithing Orginated since the days of Our Creator, GOD ALMIGHTY Dealings with Man.
Genesis 14:20, Nehimiah 13:12, 2Chronicles 31:12, 2Chronicles 31:5-6, Numbers 18:24, Malachi 3:8-10

2. Tithes are Meant to be Brought into GOD'S House I.e A Place where GOD ALMIGHTY IS WORSHIPPED, Overseen by a Servant of GOD:
Nehemiah 13:12-13, 1Chronicle 26:20, Malachi 3:10, 2Chronicles 31:11-12, Gen 14:18, Provb 3:9

3. How Is it to Be Distributed:

A. The Priests, Pastors, Apostles:
Nehimiah 13:5, Neh 12:44, Acts 4:36, Acts 4:34-35, Numbers 18:21, 24-26, Galatians 6:6

B. The Brethern in Need I.e GOD'S People In Need.. Acts 4:34-35, Romans 12:13

C. The Poor in the Society: Luke 18:22-25..

Finally, In as Much Tithing is Commanded by GOD , we should Know that Just Tithing does not Take anyone to Heaven..
Salvation Through JESUS CHRIST Is and Remains The Only Way to HEAVEN.
Luke 18:9-14, Luke 11:42...

Having said that a Believer who has Accepted JESUS CHRIST and does not Tithe, May Have Himself/Herself to Blame...

If you are in a Place where you feel your Tithe is not used for what it's to be, Instead of Going Against your Creator, I think it's Best you Change the place...

And as For the Priest, Levites, Pastors, Bishops, etc who are playing and feasting with the Tithes of the People, I Leave You to GOD ALMIGHTY! But I advise you change your Ways.. because JUDGEMENT will begin in the House of GOD. 1 Peter 4:17. So Fear GOD because it is a Terrible and Fearful Thing to fall into the Hands of the LIVING GOD . Heb10:31

GOD BLESS US ALL!

It is very funny you read the whole bible but decided to leave out the part that explains why we actually pay our tithe...

Lets look at your analysiss

1. You are right about this

2. You are right about this

3. Read Deutoronomy 14: 22 - 29

My God is not a liar and a fool when he told me to take my tithe to the temple where he chooses to be worshipped and I should eat my tithe in his presence... Or are you saying that God is lying, that his word is false... Please read these verses and tell me what you think.

The Lord gave specific rules and the Bible has shown in the book of revelations that God wants his rules to be obeyed to the core... Even though we disobey and things work out for us... Just as Moses refused to speak to the rock and chose hit it with his staff instead. The rock still gave out water just as it should have, but Moses was punished... so it doesn't matter for us, how we do it, what matters is that we follow exactly what God says.

God said we give our tithe yearly and eat it in his temple... And in the 3rd year, we bring and give to the Levites. Unfortunately, we decided to do it the way we please and not eat it but give to the Church... God wants us to follow his word exactly as it had been written and not for us to choose what is good or bad. The way of God is not the way of Man.

1 Like

Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by rayobaba(m): 1:16pm On Dec 23, 2018
bransonbig:

Please tell us exactly where Jesus, Peter, James, Paul and other disciples in the New Testament presided over collection of tithe
Thank you.

abi ooo
Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by Righteousness89(m): 1:27pm On Dec 23, 2018
gram:

Good. You contradict your self a little sir, please shed more light on these:

1. If tithing is also meant for priests, at what point do we say they are feasting with it? When they have consumed 1%, 50%, 99%. If you are entitled to something, how could you possibly be feasting with it? are you not taking what rightly belongs to you?

2. If tithing is also meant for the poor, how much is meant for them, 1%, 60%?

3. What biblical criteria should be used to share the tithes among those you mentioned are entitled to it?

4. Is the sharing of tithes subjective and dependent on individual church leadership?

5. What does the Bible mean in Malachi 3:10 when it talks about about “ that there may be food in my house” what food? Who is food meant for? Do overfilled people also need food? Will the poor and hungry always need food? Who then, will always need food and should eat the food?

1. The First thing u should check for in your Church is The Kind of Message your Pastor or priest Preaches! The Primary Message of the Church is The Message of Salvation! The Message without which No Eyes shall see GOD!
A work man is Worthy of His Meat! Matthew 10:6-10...
It's Only a scammer that lives large on the tithe of his Members...
A Worthy man will have a Certain Percentage let's say 10% as his wages.. The Rest goes into the Business of The Lord which is winning souls

2. There is no fixed percentage for all dt Biblical... As the church can give they give

3.if u carefully go to my Summation, u'll see the answer to this..

4. The Church is the body of JESUS CHRIST..... so whatever is being done must be According to what is in the Bible

5. Abudance / Enough
Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by Righteousness89(m): 1:33pm On Dec 23, 2018
Emeikus:

It is very funny you read the whole bible but decided to leave out the part that explains why we actually pay our tithe...

Lets look at your analysiss

1. You are right about this

2. You are right about this

3. Read Deutoronomy 14: 22 - 29

My God is not a liar and a fool when he told me to take my tithe to the temple where he chooses to be worshipped and I should eat my tithe in his presence... Or are you saying that God is lying, that his word is false... Please read these verses and tell me what you think.

The Lord gave specific rules and the Bible has shown in the book of revelations that God wants his rules to be obeyed to the core... Even though we disobey and things work out for us... Just as Moses refused to speak to the rock and chose hit it with his staff instead. The rock still gave out water just as it should have, but Moses was punished... so it doesn't matter for us, how we do it, what matters is that we follow exactly what God says.

God said we give our tithe yearly and eat it in his temple... And in the 3rd year, we bring and give to the Levites. Unfortunately, we decided to do it the way we please and not eat it but give to the Church... God wants us to follow his word exactly as it had been written and not for us to choose what is good or bad. The way of God is not the way of Man.
Sir The First Tither According to The Bible Was Abramham...
Did Abramham Eat His Tither

Have a look at Issac and Jacob! Did they Eat their Tithe!
Your Tithe could Affect lots of life ... if the pastors are Traveling and the gospel is being Preached and souls are getting saved! And your funds are being used! It's to your gain
Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by openmine(m): 1:38pm On Dec 23, 2018
grin grin
Yet another misconstrued encounter.....
If your personal encounter can tactfully avoid Deuteronomy 14:22-29 and Deuteronomy 26,then you are trying to be picky with scriptures which makes it hard to believe in your sincerity!
Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by Righteousness89(m): 1:43pm On Dec 23, 2018
gr8tone:
[b] In as much as I agree with the angle in which you look at tithe I still want to get some clarifications, if you can offer that, I will be glad. Those to whom the tithe is mean for are those you have mentioned excluding the Pastors because the Bible only recognises Levites which the Pastors stand to represent today. In those days, the Levites had no sources of livelihood because they were dedicated to the service of God at temple of and were not paid. Nowadays, the pastors are paid for their services in the church, in some cases, even the school fees of their children are catered for by the church. Most churches nowadays have what is called welfare department for the needy and the sources of resources to take care of the neeedy doesn't comes from the tithe but the members of the church, either through wilful donation or agreed amount. Does it still make sense to pay tithe in our today's churches, taking cognisance of the raised points.? May God deliver me from my own knowledge of Him. I always get joy in contributing for missionaries than paying of tithe.[/b]
My Brother, let me say this!
Do u know Some Pastor don't Even Touch Tithes?
I know of some pastors who don't even take a dime from Tithes!
A Man of GOD who is Anoited does not Even Need to Touch Tithes! Anyone who is Blessed from your Ministry or Ministrations will definitely Bless you..

the Bible says the Workman is Worthy of his Meat! So it's not a sin if aa Pastor has a certain percentage of what comes in!
Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by gr8tone: 1:51pm On Dec 23, 2018
Righteousness89:
My Brother, let me say this!
Do u know Some Pastor don't Even Touch Tithes?
I know of some pastors who don't even take a dime from Tithes!
A Man of GOD who is Anoited does not Even Need to Touch Tithes! Anyone who is Blessed from your Ministry or Ministrations will definitely Bless you..

the Bible says the Workman is Worthy of his Meat! So it's not a sin if aa Pastor has a certain percentage of what comes in!
I just hope you really understood what I wrote. If you did then I don't think you have responded well. Please note, I am not arguing, I am seeking to know. If a pastor will not touch the tithe and there is a welfare office that takes care of needy in most churches which the resources provided are not from the tithe but wilful contribution from members or some agreed amount by members, then what is the tithe mean for?
Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by space9880: 2:19pm On Dec 23, 2018
gr8tone:
I have never thought about this until you made it very clear. in my church we do tithes and give offering for the needy which leaves a question to be answered about the need for tithing and just like you I need answers from righteousness89

1 Like

Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by bishop101(m): 2:50pm On Dec 23, 2018
Firstly, I may sound controversial in what I will say.

Christians are not supposed to pay tithe, Doing so is a sin against God. If we examine what christian is all about you will come to a conclusion that it is Christ-like (doing exactly as Christ does) if Jesus we represent didn't in any form paid tithe, didn't talked about tithe in a positive light when He said in Luke 11:42 KJV woe to the pharisees, the Jesus we all believed in paid tax to the government. If we don't act in the same manner we are sinning against God.

Secondly, the tithing in the book of Malachi 3:8-10 was actually being said to the priests and not to the children of the Israelite as claimed. Let us look at Malachi chapter 2:1, that is the beginning of the warning and it ended in chapter 3, it means chapter 3 is a continuation.

And now, O ye priests, this commandment is for you.

2 If ye will not hear, and if ye will not lay it to heart, to give glory unto my name, saith the Lord of hosts, I will even send a curse upon you, and I will curse your blessings: yea, I have cursed them already, because ye do not lay it to heart.
(Malachi was a prophet that God raised to speak to the priests because they went against God's laid down rules).

the verse will a man rob God in chapter 3 was actually talking to the priests.

thirdly, tithes are laws that where made to be followed but when Jesus came the law was now set aside we are no longer under the law but under grace. if we are still under the law it means if anyone should commit any abominable act he should be stoned as commanded, remember Jesus with the adulterous woman (go and sin no more in stead of stoning her).

Finally, the Nigerian version of Christianity is different from the Christianity that was been practiced by the early church, I will cite one example, in the early church, when an unbeliever is converted and repents of his/her sins he/she is baptized straight away but now we don't practice it anymore.

extra-: if you want to go to heaven on the last day this things i listed are what you will do
1. Be born-again
2. Be baptized
3. Receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit
4. Do exactly what Jesus said in Matt 25: 31-46

thank you very much as you pounder on these words
Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by Willie2015: 3:13pm On Dec 23, 2018

You should desist from this type of write cos it is wrong....

Anyone that want pay tithe should do so based on his belief and conviction... If anyone choose not to pay, there is no blame......

None of the early Apostles preached on tithes but preached on church giving based on free will offerings without any form of obligation.

2nd Cor 9:7[b] Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
[/b] Acts 4, 35, There were no needy ones among them, because those who owned lands or houses would sell their property, bring the proceeds from the sales & lay them at the apostles’ feet for distribution to anyone as he had need.
Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by openmine(m): 3:14pm On Dec 23, 2018
MrPRevailer:

If you read that Chapter well, it said you shall bring it to the house of the LORD. And eat it there. If it is too heavy to carry it, you MUST change it to silver (portable) and BRING IT where the LORD shall choose (alter or temple) and the levites, and the less priviledged shall eat with you and your household.

Righteousness89 nice post.
i guess u didn't see the part where it said you should EAT YOUR TITHE EVERY YEAR(not monthly)
Its a PLACE THE LORD HAS CHOSEN and not THE "HOUSE OF GOD"
Seems you also didn't read it well!
Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by DeCanadian: 3:15pm On Dec 23, 2018
Trackango:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.myjewishlearning.com/article/tithing/amp/

Tithing is giving 10% of your farm produce to the Levites because they take care of the Holy places and are not apportioned farm lands.

It's a Jewish thing that was done in Isreal.
They don't even do it anymore.

This is what my own research got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEF5NcA0K_I
PLEASE HOW CAN I GET THIS VIDEO.
Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by EVarn(m): 3:22pm On Dec 23, 2018
theapeman4:
if you attend Catholic church! Forget it

That church is a demonic church who worship virgin Mary status and put on Mary charms as part of protection!
One day aliens are going to read this, and because of what you just wrote, they are going to destroy this planet. sad
Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by Righteousness89(m): 3:26pm On Dec 23, 2018
gr8tone:
I just hope you really understood what I wrote. If you did then I don't think you have responded well. Please note, I am not arguing, I am seeking to know. If a pastor will not touch the tithe and there is a welfare office that takes care of needy in most churches which the resources provided are not from the tithe but wilful contribution from members or some agreed amount by members, then what is the tithe mean for?

Preaching of the gospel
Sending Pastors/Missionaries to different places
Crusades and Outreaches

Let me use my place of Worship for Examples..
We are Heavily into Evangelism, crusades , Almost every 2 weeks there is a crusade to be held..
Pastors are Constantly sent to nations..
Fellowship centers are bought , Properties are Erected etc..

I see Where my Money Goes to... Atimes I personally Increase my tithes .

That's how it's supposed to be in Churches...
Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by Righteousness89(m): 3:35pm On Dec 23, 2018
openmine:

i guess u didn't see the part where it said you should EAT YOUR TITHE EVERY YEAR(not monthly)
Its a PLACE THE LORD HAS CHOSEN and not THE "HOUSE OF GOD"
Seems you also didn't read it well!
If you are paid Yearly then pay your Tithe yearly! Or if you paid in food items , pay your tithes in food items

Don't DECIEVE yourself GOD cannot be Mocked! Whatsoever a Man Soweth, that shall he reap!

1 Like

Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by Jeepi(m): 3:41pm On Dec 23, 2018
Why Tithing Is Not Required Today There are seven decisive reasons for saying Christians are not required to tithe. 1. Believers are no longer under the Mosaic covenant (Rom. 6:14–15; 7:5–6; Gal. 3:15–4:7; 2 Cor. 3:4–18). The commands stipulated in the Mosaic covenant are no longer in force for believers. Some appeal to the division between the civil, ceremonial, and moral law to support tithing. Yet these divisions, I would observe, are not the basis Paul uses when addressing how the law applies to us today. And even if we use these distinctions, tithing is clearly not part of the moral law. It’s true the moral norms of the Old Testament are still in force today, and we discern them from the law of Christ in the New Testament, but tithing is not among these commands. 2. The examples of Abraham and Jacob are not normative patterns. Some think tithing is required because both Abraham and Jacob gave a tenth, and they both lived before the Mosaic covenant was in place. Such examples hardly prove tithing is for all time, however. Abraham’s gift to Melchizedek was a one-time event; there is no evidence he regularly gave God a tenth. Jacob’s giving of a tenth signified his gratefulness to God for promising to be with him and to protect him. His gratefulness and generosity still speak to us today, but a historical description of what Jacob gave doesn’t support the idea that all believers must give God a tenth of their income. 3. Tithes were given to the Levites and priests, but there are no Levites and priests in the new covenant. Levites and priests were tied to the sacrificial system of the old covenant. Now all believers are priests (1 Pet. 2:9; Rev. 1:6; 5:10; 20:6), with Jesus as our Melchizedekian high priest (Heb. 7). 4. The tithe is tied to the land Israel received under the old covenant. Israel was supposed to celebrate a tithe every three years in Jerusalem. But that requirement cannot apply to Christians today. It related to the Jews as a nation—to Jews who lived in the land of promise. With the coming of Christ, the Jewish nation is no longer the locus of God’s people, though individual Jews are part of the church through faith in Jesus. The earthly Jerusalem is no longer central in God’s purposes (Gal. 4:25). Believers are part of the heavenly Jerusalem (Gal. 4:26) and look forward to the city to come (Heb. 11:10), to the new heavens and new earth (Rev. 21:1–22:5). Abraham isn’t heir of the land of Israel, but of the whole world (Rom. 4:13). 5. If tithing is required today, how much should we give? As noted above, the number was certainly more than 10 percent and closer to 20 percent. Those who advocate tithing should probably settle on 20 percent. 6. When Jesus affirmed the tithe, it was before the dawn of the new covenant. Some defend tithing by saying Jesus praised tithing, even if he said it was less important than other things (Matt. 23:23; Luke 11:42). This argument appears strong, but it’s not persuasive. Jesus also mentioned offering sacrifices in the temple (Matt. 5:23–24), but Christians don’t think—even if the temple were rebuilt—that we should do that. Our Lord’s words are understandable when we think about his location in redemptive history. Jesus spoke about sacrifices and tithing before the cross and resurrection, before the dawn of the new covenant. He used tithing and sacrifices as illustrations when addressing his contemporaries. He kept the law since he was “born under the law” (Gal. 4:4). But we can no more take his words as a commendation for tithing today than we can his words about offering sacrifices. 7. Nowhere is tithing mentioned when commands to give generously are found in the New Testament. When Christians are instructed to give to the poor, they aren’t commanded to give “the poor tithe.” Instead, they are instructed to be generous in helping those in need (Acts 2:43–47; 4:32–37; 11:27–30; Gal. 2:10; 1 Cor. 16:1–4; 2 Cor. 8:1–9:15). For example, 1 Corinthians 16:1–4 —a passage often cited in popular circles in support—doesn’t mention tithing; it relates to a one-time gift for poor saints in Jerusalem. Give Generously Even though tithing isn’t required today, it does not follow that believers should hoard their possessions. We are commanded to support those who preach the gospel (Matt. 10:10; Luke 10:7; 1 Cor. 9:6–14; 1 Tim. 5:17–18). And while we should enjoy the good things God gives us, we are also called to be generous to those in need (1 Tim. 6:17–19; 2 Cor. 8–9). Wealth can so easily become an idol, leading us to abandon the Lord. Since God is to be our treasure, believers are to give generously and freely. For many in the West, this will mean giving more than 10 percent. Still, Scripture doesn’t command Christians to give a tenth—and Scripture, not tradition, is our rule and authority.
Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by gr8tone: 3:43pm On Dec 23, 2018
Righteousness89:

Preaching of the gospel
Sending Pastors/Missionaries to different places
Crusades and Outreaches

Let me use my place of Worship for Examples..
We are Heavily into Evangelism, crusades , Almost every 2 weeks there is a crusade to be held..
Pastors are Constantly sent to nations..
Fellowship centers are bought , Properties are Erected etc..

I see Where my Money Goes to... Atimes I personally Increase my tithes .

That's how it's supposed to be in Churches...
If it truly happens like that in your church then it is a very good initiative. Good Initiative in the sense that all the the things you have mentioned are not prescribed by the Bible on how to use the tithe. You can do better by convincing me with a verse. But I like the way tithe is used in your church.
Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by openmine(m): 4:04pm On Dec 23, 2018
Righteousness89:
If you are paid Yearly then pay your Tithe yearly! Or if you paid in food items , pay your tithes in food items

Don't DECIEVE yourself GOD cannot be Mocked! Whatsoever a Man Soweth, that shall he reap!
The LAW which you practise has no basis for IFs...You want to abide by the laws of Moses,do so totally!
Bro the same tithe you are erroneously preaching is telling you to EAT your tithe every year!
So if i may ask....
Do you EAT your tithe?
Do you give to the levites?
Did that scripture ask you to give to a pastor?
My issue is why did you omit that very important part in your initial submission?

4 Likes

Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by Righteousness89(m): 4:09pm On Dec 23, 2018
openmine:

Bro the same tithe you are erroneously preaching is telling you to EAT your tithe every year!
So if i may ask....
Do you EAT your tithe?
Do you give to the levites?
Did that scripture ask you to give to a pastor?
My issue is why did you omit that very important part in your initial submission?
I didn't Omit! You decided the way u wanna interpret the Bible! It's your Choice Bro...
We all will give Account of our lives when we Cross over...
PEACE
Re: The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible by openmine(m): 4:16pm On Dec 23, 2018
Righteousness89:
I didn't Omit! You decided the way u wanna interpret the Bible! It's your Choice Bro...
We all will give Account of our lives when we Cross over...
PEACE
This is not my interpretation....That is the law of moses as contained in the same scriptures that you said you had a personal encounter with!
Don't tell people half truths....

Also show them this scripture.....
Or are you unaware of it?

Deuteronomy 14:22-29

22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce EACH YEAR!
23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the Lord your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the Lord your God always.

24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the Lord your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the Lord will choose to put his Name is so far away),

25 then exchange your tithe for money, and take the money with you and go to the place the Lord your God will choose.

26 Use the money to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice.

27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.

28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns,

29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

The last verse debunks the notion carried by tithers that the tithe should not be given to the needy

Lastly,there are errors written all over your scriptures in your submissions....The early believers in ACTS did not TITHE!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Oritsejafor Condemns Attack On Shehu of Borno / Top Nigerian Pastors Seen In Hell, & Others That Might Miss The Rapture / Voodoo: Do You Believe In It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.